PDA

View Full Version : More on the price of exclusives.



RooJay
04-15-2002, 08:46 PM
How can Hasbro (I'll leave F.A.O. out of this since everyone knows they're overpriced to begin with!) justify the expected $90 pricetag on the Imperial Shuttle exclusive? By all reports (AND by all assumption for that matter!) this will simply be another repainted reissue of a vintage toy; little or no new tooling, and probably fewer features (if the pattern holds true). How expensive can it be to make a toy that reuses a mold and design that already exists? By my reasoning, this toy should cost us no more than $40, TOPS.

Beast
04-15-2002, 08:52 PM
Inflation is a big factor, as is licensing fees for Lucasfilm. Actually I worked out the price of the original vehicle if it was released today on a comparison calculator and in last years dollars, the Imperial Shuttle would have retailed for around 70.00. Infact comparing all the ships, most of them work out to around the same price as they were back then in comparison. Here are some examples, the ship, vintage price, and inflation estimate. So what they come out for, isnt's not really as bad in comparison.

B-wing - 1983: 24.99 2001: 44.02
Imperial Shuttle - 1983: 39.99 2001: 70.44
TIE Inteceptor - 1983: 19.99 2001: 35.21
Y-Wing - 1983: 16.99 2001: 33.45

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
04-15-2002, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Inflation is a big factor, as is licensing fees for Lucasfilm. Actually I worked out the price of the original vehicle if it was released today on a comparison calculator and in last years dollars, the Imperial Shuttle would have retailed for around 85.00. Infact comparing all the ships, most of them work out to around the same price as they were back then in comparison.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I'm still not buying it. The inflation theory I mean. Just not a good enough excuse in my opinion. Since they've already made plenty of money in the past with this tooling, I feel that should offset some of the cost.

Beast
04-15-2002, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by RooJay
I'm still not buying it. The inflation theory I mean. Just not a good enough excuse in my opinion. Since they've already made plenty of money in the past with this tooling, I feel that should offset some of the cost.
They have retooled all of the re-issue ships, so it does cost them some money to do all that retooling. Just compare ships like the Y-Wing and B-Wing to their vintage counterparts. They do put alot of work in them. Plus the vastly improved stickers and paintjobs. If they were just repackaging the ships as straight remakes, they definatly would not be worth the cost.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
04-16-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

They have retooled all of the re-issue ships, so it does cost them some money to do all that retooling. Just compare ships like the Y-Wing and B-Wing to their vintage counterparts. They do put alot of work in them. Plus the vastly improved stickers and paintjobs. If they were just repackaging the ships as straight remakes, they definatly would not be worth the cost.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

O.k., so we've decided that we're happy to pay $90 for the shuttle? Not enough retooling is done to make this price reasonable in my opinion.

Jargo
04-16-2002, 03:05 PM
Retooling consists of removing the cool factor in the toys does it? Taking out the droid slot from the Y-wing and removing the electronics from all the vehicles. That's really worth the effort.

The shuttle probably won't pack with figures so the price should be lower. it's the figures as 'exclusives' that pushes the cost up. Can't see why as the pack in figures are a waste of space mostly. They gave the tie pilot knees and the cockpit doesn't have a seat that requires knees. The Sullustan in the B-wing was a white version that never even made it into the movie. he never flew a B-wing. And it was just a recoloured pilot from the cinema scene. nothing new. The snowspeeder pilots are just reused parts. it doesn't cost anything to do this. the cost of the ships thus far has been ridiculous. especially the exclusives which for most of us are bought on the secondary market because we don't have access to the stores who get the exclusives. It's a pointless exercise. And if the shuttle is going to be a FAO exclusive then most of us will be without shuttle yet again. It's in the domain of the rich and connected to get hold of stuff like that. It would cost me $200 to ship a shuttle to the UK. That's the minimum shipping cost that FAO will handle outside of the US. How in gods name am I supposed to get a shuttle please?

DarthMaulSithLord
04-16-2002, 03:49 PM
Amen to that!!!

:)

RooJay
04-16-2002, 04:30 PM
AND HOW!:happy:
This is what I'm talking about! One of the very few items I don't have is the F.A.O. exclusive Fambaa. Not only would I have to have driven 40 minutes to the nearest F.A.O. to get it, but it just cost way too damned much in my opinion (AND it wasn't even a retooled mold! Someone explain to me why it cost as much for this brand new, completely new sculpted item as it probably will for a SLIGHTLY retooled one!); especially since it wasn't even slightly articulated!

JediTricks
04-17-2002, 02:23 AM
IMO, there's no way Hasbro can justify the prices on most of these retooled vintage vehicles. Sure, there's inflation, but the costs of materials has also gone down as well. Sure, they have to retool the molds, but they don't have to pay for an entirely new design process. Yes, it costs more to ship, store, and display these items and space in toystores is at a much higher premium than it was 20 years ago, but I really don't buy these factoring into the equation this much - especially when Target blows out their prices on these things almost as soon as they get them.

How can they justify it? Because SW collectors keep paying these prices. :(

Battle Droid
04-17-2002, 02:43 AM
Exclusives suck (not the toys) just the fact that they're exclusives.

Hasbro should do away with the whole exclusive thing IMO.

Rogue II
04-17-2002, 10:05 AM
I'm hoping that this will be like Slave Leia with bartender R2. That was a FAO exclusive, right? I think I saw it for $80 when it first came out, but we ended up buying it at KB for $20. Since I'm not a die-hard vehicle collector, I won't pay $90 for it, but if I see it down the road at a KB or something like that on clearance...maybe.

I'm not a huge fan of the exlcusive idea.

Beast
04-17-2002, 10:32 AM
Doing away with the whole exclusive thing wouldn't be a good idea though, is the major problem. :( Stores don't want to loose the shelf space to vehicles that they have trouble selling, so it's either make them exclusive so that only 1 store has them, and is sure to sell the limited quantities. Or not make them at all.

I know it totally sucks, but I would rather have the ships avaliable somewhere, then have Hasbro totally stop making ships at all. Besides, most exclusive vehicles can be found online for prices close to retail, if you miss them in stores. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darkross
04-17-2002, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Doing away with the whole exclusive thing wouldn't be a good idea though, is the major problem. :( Stores don't want to loose the shelf space to vehicles that they have trouble selling, so it's either make them exclusive so that only 1 store has them, and is sure to sell the limited quantities. Or not make them at all.

I know it totally sucks, but I would rather have the ships avaliable somewhere, then have Hasbro totally stop making ships at all. Besides, most exclusive vehicles can be found online for prices close to retail, if you miss them in stores. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I agree with you...I'd rather have the ships as exclusives than not at all. But Hasbro should develop some kind of contigency plan for those of us who live outside of the Continental United States! Say...if it is a Target Exclusive in the US...then make it a Toys R Us exclusive or Wal-Mart Exclusive in Canada. Same goes for other countries. At least this way the rest of us would have a chance at getting these next to impossible to find exclusives! I count myself among the lucky ones where I live very close to the US border and a US Wal-Mart...I was able to get two Tie Bombers and two Snowspeeders this past weekend. Not to mention the figures from the last three POTJ waves that never came to Canada.

Rogue II
04-17-2002, 11:25 AM
I must admit that I didn't mind the AT-ST Toys R Us exclusive at all. I had no problem finding it in the stores, and the prices online wern't all that bad. I'm happy because I didn't get the AT-ST the first time they were out. I also see lots of people in these forums beg Hasbro for more Ewoks.

I never had any problem getting fan club exclusives like Kabe/Mutaf, Oola, Cantina Band members, the Monk, and most recently the Carbon Freeze chamber.

For me, the difficult ones to get were at Walmart and Target. If my wife didn't go to Target all the time (she loves that store) I would have never got the Skiff or the B-Wing. The only Walmart exclusive I have is the Max Rebo band pairs.

I feel bad for collectors in other countries that have a hard time getting these things.

Darkross
04-17-2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Rogue II
I must admit that I didn't mind the AT-ST Toys R Us exclusive at all. I had no problem finding it in the stores, and the prices online wern't all that bad. I'm happy because I didn't get the AT-ST the first time they were out. I also see lots of people in these forums beg Hasbro for more Ewoks.

I never had any problem getting fan club exclusives like Kabe/Mutaf, Oola, Cantina Band members, the Monk, and most recently the Carbon Freeze chamber.

For me, the difficult ones to get were at Walmart and Target. If my wife didn't go to Target all the time (she loves that store) I would have never got the Skiff or the B-Wing. The only Walmart exclusive I have is the Max Rebo band pairs.

I feel bad for collectors in other countries that have a hard time getting these things.

The Skiff, B-Wing, Y-Wing....still elude my capture!

Dryanta
04-17-2002, 12:14 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again.
No more retail store exclusives!!Hasbro should use the website they have and offer these things to everybody anywhere!!
Most of us are already buying online anyway.
Hasbro can sell the stuff at a lower cost to us direct and cut out all the middle man hassles of retail exclusives.
There is only one Target in my state and it's 75 miles away.
Two TRUs and they are both the same distance from me.
FAO is in Boston(200 miles) or New York(450 miles).
MY computer and credit card are right here with me.Get the idea

stillakid
04-17-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Inflation is a big factor, as is licensing fees for Lucasfilm. Actually I worked out the price of the original vehicle if it was released today on a comparison calculator and in last years dollars, the Imperial Shuttle would have retailed for around 70.00. Infact comparing all the ships, most of them work out to around the same price as they were back then in comparison. Here are some examples, the ship, vintage price, and inflation estimate. So what they come out for, isnt's not really as bad in comparison.

B-wing - 1983: 24.99 2001: 44.02
Imperial Shuttle - 1983: 39.99 2001: 70.44
TIE Inteceptor - 1983: 19.99 2001: 35.21
Y-Wing - 1983: 16.99 2001: 33.45

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Nice theory, but it doesn't stand up across the board, which negates it. I distinctly recall begging my Mom for a Slave I back in the day and I paid exactly the same amount ($20) for the "new" one. I don't remember the cost of the Landspeeder, but it too was pretty close to the vintage price. If there is any difference between the above examples and the ones that I just gave, you might argue size. So if manufacturing costs are the same or lower, then an argument might be made for a)licensing costs and/or b)shipping costs. Either way, JT is right. They charge what they know they can get. Has there been an exclusive vehicle yet that hasn't sold out?

JediTricks
04-17-2002, 11:15 PM
B-wing, Fambaa: they both sorta rotted till their prices went down. Basically, there's no excuse for the $40 B-wing and Target figured that out quick, but they had a guaranteed back-up plan that meant they wouldn't have any risk in the issue (Hasbro supposedly promised to buy back at full price whatever Target didn't get rid of 4 years ago to get the retailer to not hate them again).

RooJay
04-18-2002, 06:41 PM
Now another site is reporting that F.A.O has confirmed the Imperial Shuttle for holiday 2002 with a price point of $125!!! It's supposedly limited to 5000 units and will have NO figure pack-in according to the report! I desperately want this toy, but I refuse to pay that much for it. That is just insane.:eek: :mad:

stillakid
04-18-2002, 08:34 PM
If you think that $125 is bad, just wait for the scalper market! We should have a running pool to see just how ridiculously high the prices go (ebay auctions should not be included, except for the initial asking price).

I'll start: I say that the initial scalper asking price will be as high as $250.

DarthChuckMc
04-18-2002, 09:02 PM
I think some people, not all, are misinterperating this word "retooling". When HASBRO "retools" a new toy using an existing design, say the Shuttle Tyderium, they don't ACTUALLY use the SAME mold as the one produced in 1983/84. What HASBRO is doing with ALL of the "retooled" vehicles (ie. X-wing, TIE Fighter,etc.) is taking an original toy from 1978-1985, and making a mold from IT. The actual molds for those toys are looooong gone. If they do exist any more, they are probably serverely detereorated(sp) thus making it impossible to make a mass amount of product. Making new molds can cost thousands of dollars. I'm sure the price of making molds has also increased in the 20 or so years since Kenner used them. Not too mention the price of licensing from Lucasfilm. I agree. $125 is pretty steep for a toy, but if the 5,000 limit is true, this would be the companies way of making some sort of a profit off of the "retooling" and cost of plastics, labor, packaging and shipping them to our penny pinching arses.

DarthMaulSithLord
04-18-2002, 09:48 PM
That's their own fault. We didn't tell them to make it in limited quantities. Why don't the make 20,000? I'm sure they'll sell. Not everything evolves around US collectors (no pun intended). I bet there are more collectors outside the US.

:(

Beast
04-18-2002, 09:56 PM
Yeah, I can deal with the whole $125.00 price tag, sure it's alot but it's almost the last ship left that hasn't been reproduced, and I want one. But what the hell is the limit of 5000 BS? If that was FAO's idea they seriously need to rethink things. I am definatly not going to be a happy camper if I'm not lucky enough to get one of thse. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
04-18-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by DarthChuckMc
I think some people, not all, are misinterperating this word "retooling". When HASBRO "retools" a new toy using an existing design, say the Shuttle Tyderium, they don't ACTUALLY use the SAME mold as the one produced in 1983/84. What HASBRO is doing with ALL of the "retooled" vehicles (ie. X-wing, TIE Fighter,etc.) is taking an original toy from 1978-1985, and making a mold from IT. The actual molds for those toys are looooong gone. If they do exist any more, they are probably serverely detereorated(sp) thus making it impossible to make a mass amount of product. Making new molds can cost thousands of dollars. I'm sure the price of making molds has also increased in the 20 or so years since Kenner used them. Not too mention the price of licensing from Lucasfilm. I agree. $125 is pretty steep for a toy, but if the 5,000 limit is true, this would be the companies way of making some sort of a profit off of the "retooling" and cost of plastics, labor, packaging and shipping them to our penny pinching arses.

If recouping their cost is the primary concern, why not just make one Shuttle and charge $625,000 for it? With an exclusive of one, it's bound to sell.:rolleyes:

Yeah, that was ridiculous. But take the equation in the other direction and actually produce enough product to fill demand, then the price per unit drops considerably. This exclusive nonsense is the problem. FAO knows full well that they have limited outlets and they can only sell a certain amount of product to only the people with access to them. Hasbro is making a BIIGGGGG mistake by giving an exclusive to a small outlet chain like FAO in the first place.

RooJay
04-18-2002, 11:08 PM
DarthChuckMc you are absolutely certain they are not using the original mold? Even knowing how meticulous Lucasfilm is about preserving and archiving everything they can? I don't think it's too hard to believe that the original is still around. Plus, I always thought the molds were made of metal, and that's part of what makes them so expensive. Metal doesn't deteriorate. Now, I'm not saying that it's impossible that Hasbro is having to recreate the mold, but even if that were the case, how does that make it more expensive to produce than a completely new item like the Fambaa. By the way, current reports have F.A.O.'s price for this toy at $125!

Wolfwood319
04-18-2002, 11:12 PM
If they are indeed limiting to 5000 units, I can cetainly understand it, for 2 reasons.

First, how long did those exclusive Faambas sit on their shelves? They don't want another incident like that.

Second, if they limit it to 5000, they're almost guarenteed that 5000 will sell. Its a safe bet, I don't blame them.

Beast
04-18-2002, 11:12 PM
He's right, there was an interview in one of the Toy Collecting magazines a few years ago, saying that the old molds are gone, and they pull a new mold off of a vintage ship. Thats why they go thru the trouble of retooling the ships, not just for to please us, but they have to, because they are making a copy of an original and it looses some detail in the molding process.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
04-18-2002, 11:15 PM
Those Fambaa's sat on the shelves because they cost $90.

stillakid
04-18-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
If they are indeed limiting to 5000 units, I can cetainly understand it, for 2 reasons.

First, how long did those exclusive Faambas sit on their shelves? They don't want another incident like that.

Second, if they limit it to 5000, they're almost guarenteed that 5000 will sell. Its a safe bet, I don't blame them.


You're right, we shouldn't blame FAO, except that they shouldn't be demanding exclusives in the first place. They don't have the outlets to adequately deliver product of any kind across a vast area. So, once again, Hasbro is setting themselves up for criticism. They finally produce one of the most requested ships of all time, and then go out of their way to make it next to impossible for anyone to get it.

Faamba wasn't an item that most people were clamoring to get. It came from a movie that wasn't as widely loved as the Original Trilogy films were. There is a lot more interest in "vintage" ships and characters than in any of the new films, so a comparison between Faamba and the Shuttle is a poor way for a company to make decisions.

FAO will come out of it with a nice wad of cash in their hands, and they know it. They're taking advantage of one of the sweetest deals ever offered as far as Star Wars exclusives go. Hasbro deserves every ounce of shame that they get. There is no excuse for this one...at all.

SithDroid
04-18-2002, 11:39 PM
I don't like FAO and I never will. they are way too overpriced on everything. It is almost like they have never heard of competition before. I will not be getting this overpriced piece of plastic. There's better things to spend my money on than this RIP OFF!

Darkross
04-19-2002, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Yeah, I can deal with the whole $125.00 price tag, sure it's alot but it's almost the last ship left that hasn't been reproduced, and I want one. But what the hell is the limit of 5000 BS? If that was FAO's idea they seriously need to rethink things. I am definatly not going to be a happy camper if I'm not lucky enough to get one of thse. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Me neither. You can be sure that if there are 5000 collectors out there that want one of these babies to keep...no asking price will convince them to sell it. I know that if I can get one...I wouldn't sell mine. Heck I'd be half tempted to leave it in the box unopened...which is completely unlike me, since I open everything! This is what is really the big pain in the behind!...the fact that some of us will never see one of these babies for retail...especially us Canadians...$125 US = $200 CAN + Shipping + HST = $350.00 ouch! At scalper prices...well I suspect at least $250 - $400.00 CAN!

RooJay
04-19-2002, 04:58 PM
What's really going to happen is that a small number of scalpers are going to get a hold of most of these, and then the price for the average consumer becomes MUCH higher!

Beast
04-19-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by RooJay
What's really going to happen is that a small number of scalpers are going to get a hold of most of these, and then the price for the average consumer becomes MUCH higher!
Welp, my name is on the list at my local FAO. They are limiting them to 1 per person to attempt to get them out to all the people that really want them. Oh, and for you people that don't wanna mess with FAO. Brian's Toys has the Imperial Shuttle up for pre-order for 149.99. And no, they are not scalping them, they go thru Hasbro in another country, since US exclusives are normally avaliable for regular ordering overseas. I know that it sucks to have to deal with them, but atleast there is a better chance you'll be sure to get one if you wait to long to get on the FAO list. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
04-19-2002, 05:25 PM
I'm just gonna pretend that Hasbro has still not offered the Shuttle, and I'm gonna keep asking for it until they make it widely available at a decent price.:frus:

DarthMaulSithLord
04-20-2002, 07:50 PM
Just e-mail them and whine as much as you can. I am sending e-mails every week till they listen to me.

Consumer_support@Hasbro.com

:D

Jargo
04-21-2002, 08:52 AM
Oh you shouldn't have given me their e-mail address..... :evil: Now there's going to be trouble..................



MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! !!!

Eternal Padawan
04-21-2002, 09:55 AM
Cloud Car. Retails for about $14.99. So cost would be about $7-8 right? I can call up Hasbro and order 5000 Cloud Cars as an Eternal Padawan exclusive? I have only slightly less retail outlets than FAO Schwarz. That's an investment of $35,000? I could get a small business loan and BANK. Too much? How about a figure. I want Hem Dazon as an Eternal Padawan exclusive figure. 5000 units would only cost me about $12,000. Heck, we could ALL hit Hasbro up for exclusives. SirSteve's exclusive Mini Rigs. Jar Jar Binks' exclusive Tonnika Sister figure. Jargo's exclusive Yarna D'al Gargan figure.

OR

We can collectively contact Hasbro and tell them to shove exclusives somewhere not pretty instead of rationalizing their reasons for doing them. Without exclusives they wouldn't get made. BULLS#!+ :mad: I would buy a Star Wars vehicle regardless of it being an exclusive or not. I CAN'T buy vehicles I can't find. I can buy it for $149.99 at Brians Toys? oh really? Well, if I thought $125 was too high (and it is, you sycophants) why would I want to blow $25 more to buy it from a scalper? Brians Toys is a U.S. retailer, regardless of whether he is online. If the Shuttle is a U.S. FAO exclusive then online scalpers are violating that contract by selling it within the borders. Hasbro should catch on to that fact and realize EXCLUSIVES aren't working. GAWD, I want to stick my boot up Hasbro's collective :eek::mad:

Beast
04-21-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
Cloud Car. Retails for about $14.99. So cost would be about $7-8 right? I can call up Hasbro and order 5000 Cloud Cars as an Eternal Padawan exclusive? I have only slightly less retail outlets than FAO Schwarz. That's an investment of $35,000? I could get a small business loan and BANK. Too much? How about a figure. I want Hem Dazon as an Eternal Padawan exclusive figure. 5000 units would only cost me about $12,000. Heck, we could ALL hit Hasbro up for exclusives. SirSteve's exclusive Mini Rigs. Jar Jar Binks' exclusive Tonnika Sister figure. Jargo's exclusive Yarna D'al Gargan figure.

OR

We can collectively contact Hasbro and tell them to shove exclusives somewhere not pretty instead of rationalizing their reasons for doing them. Without exclusives they wouldn't get made. BULLS#!+ :mad: I would buy a Star Wars vehicle regardless of it being an exclusive or not. I CAN'T buy vehicles I can't find. I can buy it for $149.99 at Brians Toys? oh really? Well, if I thought $125 was too high (and it is, you sycophants) why would I want to blow $25 more to buy it from a scalper? Brians Toys is a U.S. retailer, regardless of whether he is online. If the Shuttle is a U.S. FAO exclusive then online scalpers are violating that contract by selling it within the borders. Hasbro should catch on to that fact and realize EXCLUSIVES aren't working. GAWD, I want to stick my boot up Hasbro's collective :eek::mad:
Sounds like a good idea EP, maybe we should all get together and arrange to have a SSG exclusive action figure produced. Just form a dummy corporation and get ahold of Hasbro and tell them we want an exclusive action figure. Might be the only way we ever see those often requested figures like the Tonnika Sisters and Yarna D'al Gargan. Hasbro really needs to put up some sort of info gathering poll on their website about what us collector's like and don't like about Hasbro's current line and or policies. I can bet that the majority sure the heck would say that if exclusives continue, that FAO shouldn't get anymore unless they are willing to buy a sane ammount. I would be alot happier paying 125 for a shuttle from Target, Wal-Mart, or hell...even the Fan Club then that rip off shack, FAO.

I myself wouldn't even be bothering to get an Imperial Shuttle, if it wasn't for the fact I never owned a vintage one. And I may as well spend 125 for one that has been updated with better sculpting an painting then more than that for a vintage one. Am I a happy camper about the price or the fact that they are limiting them so much, hell no. :( That is the worst thing that has ever occured to screw over the collecting community since the R2-D2 w/ holo Leia situation. Atleast in that case most of the people that wanted one, can get one from the secondary market without having to sell a kidney. And I know that Brian's Toys is no deal either, I was just giving someone a cheaper option if, they can't get one thru retail at FAO. I would rather pay Brian's Toys for one they imported from overseas, then pay some greasy scalper that took the ships out of the hands of people that wanted them at retail. You got a definate supporter for giving Hasbro a boot in the backside, EP. But remember, FAO deserves the majority of the booting as well. Hasbro for giving them an exclusive, and agreeing on the 5000 limit. FAO for the idea that there are only 5000 Star Wars collectors out there. I thought the Faamba was a rip, nice to see that FAO can prove to me they can sink even lower. :mad:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SithDroid
04-21-2002, 12:59 PM
FAO SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ONLY reason I think that FAO is limiting them to 5,000 pieces is because they know that they will sell all 5,000. They lost so much money on the overpriced Faamba 3 years ago that they are worried that they might lose money. Hey, I have an idea then FAO, how about you DON'T DO ANY EXCLUSIVES AT ALL! It seems to me that if money is what you are concerened about, then attack some other toy chain. Your prices are way overpriced compared to everywhere else in the nation. I've never bought from you and I NEVER will. 5,000 Imperial Shuttles hardly covers the amount of Star Wars collectors. Heck that amount probably only covers 0.01% of the collectors in the world. And as far as it not being available to other countries, well that really sucks. Well you can take your overpriced piece of plastic and shove it up your :eek: . You are only going to LOSE more customers by NOT making it available to more people. Well then, here's hoping to you going out of business, you cr*ppy company!

Jargo
04-21-2002, 01:22 PM
What is with the idea that it'll have sculpting any different than the vintage version? It'll be the SAME sculpting and the same vehicle only without the expensive electronics and without the pack-ins everyone wanted. The stickers will be pre-applied badly as usual thus taking it out of the owners hands to apply them straight and in the correct positions. The paint applications will be badly applied oversprayed black streaks that look like an oil slick just passed by. The plastic will be the same cheap vinyl they use on everything these days so the wings will bend and the guns will bend and the cockpit canopy won't sit right. And don't tell me that the vinyl costs more to use because that's bull****! The plastics used on the figures and ships now is a cheaper substitute for the more rigid plastic used for the POTF toys. How else can Hasbro reduce the cost of the figures and vehicles like they have done? By cutting corners. It's cheap plastic and it makes the toys look cheap. They cut corners by reducing the paint used to a thin light dusting spray. Wondered why everything looks poorly painted? because the paint is sprayed out so thinly it goes everywhere. It's so thinly sprayed you can see the plastic through it.
Frankly, I'd rather the tot licence went to a new company now. As long as the toys were the same scale I wouldn't mind. A company who cares about quality and takes the time to listen to the consumer base and doesn't gip them intentionally.

Beast
04-21-2002, 01:34 PM
Well lets see, almost every re-issued vehicle from the vintage line has been resculpted to add more detail. Landspeeder, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Snowspeeder, Darth Vader's TIE Fighter, AT-AT, B-Wing, Y-Wing, TIE Interceptor, Crashed Snowspeeder. So, what's to assume that they will just pull a mold from an old shuttle and not bother to re-tool and re-sculpt it some.

The older toys used alot cheaper plastic, that's why alot of them have yellowed over time. I haven't had any bending on any of the vehicles I have purchased, and neither have I gotten one that didn't have the stickers properly applied. You must have bad luck picking out ships, Jargo.

What's wrong with the paint jobs? From everything I have seen they are pretty accurate to what appeared in the movies. Most of the ships in the OT were grimy and dirty, and covered with blaster scarring. Looks to me like Hasbro is trying to accurately reproduce that in the vehicles. And the paint is supposed to be thin in areas, that's a paint sprayer dry brushing technique.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
04-21-2002, 02:06 PM
Oh you talk such crap! Dry brushing with an airbrush on a toy figure that's 4 inches in length? Don't make me laugh. Since the beginning of POTJ the paint has been getting thinner and thinner and more sloppily applied. The vehicles are sprayed with the care and attention a muck spreader machine gives. Movie accurate my arse! Sure they change vaders fighter but what changed with the tie fighter? save for removing the electronics and changing the colour? And you think these new plastics won't yellow in time? Think again buster. All my vintage vehicles stayed rigid and didn't bend or warp at all. If i compare this new AT-ST to my vintage one it seems made of jelly. It droops and wilts even when cold, it doesn't stand at all and the legs give way from under it. It's bull**** production standards like this that get me mad and don't you dare try to undermine me and my opinions you jerk! **** you and the tight sphinctered horse you rode in on. :mad:

Beast
04-21-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Oh you talk such crap! Dry brushing with an airbrush on a toy figure that's 4 inches in length? Don't make me laugh. Since the beginning of POTJ the paint has been getting thinner and thinner and more sloppily applied. The vehicles are sprayed with the care and attention a muck spreader machine gives. Movie accurate my arse! Sure they change vaders fighter but what changed with the tie fighter? save for removing the electronics and changing the colour? And you think these new plastics won't yellow in time? Think again buster. All my vintage vehicles stayed rigid and didn't bend or warp at all. If i compare this new AT-ST to my vintage one it seems made of jelly. It droops and wilts even when cold, it doesn't stand at all and the legs give way from under it. It's bull**** production standards like this that get me mad and don't you dare try to undermine me and my opinions you jerk! **** you and the tight sphinctered horse you rode in on. :mad:
Your entitled to your opinion, and I am entitled to mine. As for what they improved on the TIE Fighter, I assume that you obviously forgot that they actually molded the solar panals on the wings, instead of making them giant hard to apply stickers. And I don't recall the size of the "vehicles" we are discussing being, 4" long. And the legs on my AT-ST's are fine, the vintage one I have has legs that are droopy, so again...you must just have bad luck.

I'm not trying to undermine your opinions, I am stating my own. If you have to attack me for them, so be it. It's getting rather old and tiring to have to deal with you everytime I make a post supporting the toys. They are my opinions, if you wanna debate that my opinions are wrong, fine. If your gonna flame and attack me every time I post an opinion that is the opposite of what you think, then you really need to take another break from the forums. Your taking this all way to seriously. And I don't care much for your intended language either. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
04-22-2002, 12:19 AM
What do I have to do to pull you 2 apart, 3-day suspensions for each? Threats of deleting past threads? What will it take?!?

Jargo, watch the swearing, not everything is caught by the autocensor - same goes for JJB quoting it.

JJB, you're questioning Jargo's opinions with comments like "What's wrong with the paint jobs? From everything I have seen they are pretty accurate to what appeared in the movies" when clearly you're referencing Jargo's previous post describing that very point. If you expect Jargo and everybody else to respect your opinions, then you have to do the same.

I don't want to see any more of this. If you can't work your personality differences out in Private Messaging or Email, then ignore each other.

JediTricks
04-22-2002, 12:23 AM
EP, it's a nice theory, but Exclusives aren't directly about money, they're about rewarding and/or bribing major retail chains.

Beast
04-22-2002, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
What do I have to do to pull you 2 apart, 3-day suspensions for each? Threats of deleting past threads? What will it take?!?

Jargo, watch the swearing, not everything is caught by the autocensor - same goes for JJB quoting it.

JJB, you're questioning Jargo's opinions with comments like "What's wrong with the paint jobs? From everything I have seen they are pretty accurate to what appeared in the movies" when clearly you're referencing Jargo's previous post describing that very point. If you expect Jargo and everybody else to respect your opinions, then you have to do the same.

I don't want to see any more of this. If you can't work your personality differences out in Private Messaging or Email, then ignore each other.
It's called a healthy discussion, and it's what these forums were built on. I am not attacking Jargo and swearing at him, because he has a differing opinion. Hell, I would like to get along with the guy but he obviously doesn't care to meet me half way. I offer my opinion, and point out somthing that he's forgetting, including no person attacks in what I post, and then I am met with stuff like he flung back at me above. That's just childish, and I am pretty sick of it. And I quoted his swearing, because he has edited his posts, before a mod has even got around to see that he's attacking me. It's keeping a record of his attacks. :(

What happened to the whole, respecting the other forum members opinions. According to that whole post that Sir Steve was kind enough to place at the start at every one of the forums, Jargo constantly throws the first three at me. It is humerous when threads attacking the staff here will be deleted, or the poster dealt with, but if its a long time poster attacking someone it's over looked.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/announcement.php?s=&forumid=18

Jargo has personally attacked me numerous times, he's calling me a theif, and now he's even gone as far as telling me to F off. Wouldn't you call what Jargo is doing harassment, he attacks me at every oppertunity, and I have not once had the mods do something about it. Do I have to go thru 100 threads and post a link to each time he pops into a thread to attack and harass me. That leads into the third thing Sir Steve posted about, vendetta posting. It's quite obvious he utterly hates me, but I see again since he has been around here longer then most, it's ignored by the mods.

It's just getting really sickening, a healthy discussion is fun. Not having to deal with someone that has even suggested harming me in real life if he knew me. Of course again I rather doubt if that will even be noticed. It's becoming clear that attacks against Sir Steve or a Staff member would be dealt with. Attacks against myself must bring you all alot of enjoyment, cause they haven't ceased, and have even increased since he has not been warned.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
04-22-2002, 08:25 AM
I've been thinking Hasbro should forfeit the rights to the liscense for some time now. Give it to a small up and coming toy company that still realizes that customer satisfaction comes first and would go out of their way to please the fans.

DarthMaulSithLord
05-31-2002, 05:17 PM
That woulden't be a good idea since they'd probably make them in a larger scale thus ruining the continuity of the line.

:(

RooJay
06-03-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Welp, my name is on the list at my local FAO. They are limiting them to 1 per person to attempt to get them out to all the people that really want them.

Thats seems to be a good idea to me, but sadly not all F.A.O locations are limiting quantities. I've heard reports in these very forums indicating that posters have been allowed to pre-order 2 and more Shuttles.

I also disagree that they are trying to get them out to everyone that wants them. Even if all F.A.O's were limiting quantities just think about how many fans are out there! There are WAY more than 5000 of us! Just look at the attendance number for Celebration 2! That number doesn't even include those of us who were not able to attend; and there are MANY of us!:(

Dryanta
06-03-2002, 08:52 PM
Hey all,
Go check out the Hasbro and GL petition thread in the saga forums.Link at the bottom of this post.