PDA

View Full Version : Theater Courtesy

RooJay
04-15-2002, 09:36 PM
Does anyone on this site bring and leave on their cell-phones and pagers to they go to the movies, or know someone who does? If so, what's the reasoning? I'm sure I'm not alone in calling for more courtesy. With the rising price of movie tickets I think it goes without saying that if your looking for a place to talk, smoke, drink, or chat on the phone, then there are much better (and cheaper) places to do it than the theater. Stay home and let us enjoy our movie! PLEASE! This after a recent trip to the movies were someone brought a screaming kid with them. Keep in mind I'm not trying to tell people they shouldn't go to the movies if they have kids and can't find or afford a babysitter, but try taking the kids to KID'S movies where this kind of thing is more expected (the movie I saw was R rated, AND started at 10:30pm! What's wrong with people nowadays?) Thank You.

vulcantouch
04-15-2002, 11:20 PM
. . .which is one reason why, as i've said on the Hump, i hardly Ever see flix in theaters anymore, and much prefer home vid :cool:
number of home vid flix i've seen in the last 6 months: ~150-200. number of theater showings i've been to in the last 3 years: ~5 (aside from tpm, all were inViTations from pals which woulda been ingracious to decline).
gotta love that technology some theaters are usin to supress cell signals with a "dampening field" :cool: now we needa come up w/somthin similar for boneheads who play their car stereos too loud :evil:

"I'm not trying to tell people they shouldn't go to the movies if they have kids and can't find or afford a babysitter"
-that's Exactly what i'd tell them, cuz decency requires Choices, such as Choosing between seeing a movie or starring in one's Personal movie (one titled The Screamin Baby Chronicles :D )-
vt

2-1B
04-15-2002, 11:56 PM
My biggest complaint is *cringe* the sound of people eating smacking their popcorn. Oh I wish the theater chains would stop selling that ! People are not courteous enough to refrain from it themselves. :(

In the vein of Threepio, "I can't abide those popcorn eaters, disgusting creatures."

And active cell phones are lame, it's bad enough when one rings and the guilty party leaves the venue, it's 4 times as bad when the perp actually carries on a brief conversation. :cry:

Eternal Padawan
04-16-2002, 12:20 AM
Caes, without the popcorn, the theatre would close. They sure ain't makin' money from the film (that all goes to the studio.)

Babies cryin'? Go tell sombody! Theatre employees relish kicking people out of the theatre after they paid for a ticket. It's almost as much fun as kickin' out the teenagers!

Cell Phones... Complete agreement. I was watching a flick one time and the guy didn't even have the courtesy to leave. I kicked the back of his seat so hard, I'm pretty sure I knocked loose some of his fillings. What I want to do is to grab the phone, remove the battery and tell him he can have it back after the show...

2-1B
04-16-2002, 02:01 AM
E Padawan, I should have clarified - I wish they would stop selling the popcorn and replace it with a more pleasant sounding food. :D

No disagreements from me on the way movie houses get swindled. I've read your data concerning opening weekend takes vs. second weekend takes and so on. Win/win for the movie companies, because it seems most of them just go for the "flash in the pan" anyway. They are already taking so much of the cut up front, what's the point in putting movies in the pipeline that just might grow legs and see success over time? :(

derek
04-16-2002, 07:55 AM
vulcantouch,

i think we found something we agree on!:) i used to go to about 3 or four films a week, but in the last few years, i too have turned to dvd's for my filmgoing entertainment. my two biggest complaints are:

1. theatres who have the volume too low. they do this because the "explosions" are too loud, but end up hurting the overall film, because it lowers the actors voices.

2. rude people. i recall a few years ago, i asked a guy who was doing a running commentary of the film to "please be quiet". this guy actually wanted to fight me! i'm not a violent person, but this was one time i was considering pounding someone. my better judgement prevailed and i eventually had to leave the theatre.
but i was surely tempted by the dark side. yoda would of been proud.:D

Lord Malakite
04-16-2002, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by RooJay
Does anyone on this site bring and leave on their cell-phones and pagers to they go to the movies, or know someone who does?

I don't do it or know of anybody that does. If someone does such a thing I hope they have a good reason for it, like they are an E.R. doctor or something.

Eternal Padawan
04-16-2002, 08:50 AM
derek, buddy. YOU don't have to leave. That guy does. Just go get a theatre employee. I'm telling you guys, we LOOK FORWARD to it. We relish the small amount of power we are afforded by kicking people out. It's like a narcotic.

I really hate the people that sit thru the entire film and then come out and complain about the sound, or the focus, or the other audience members AFTER it's over. Why did you wait to complain? We could have corrected it in about 30 seconds whatever the problem was. I have no problem with turning the sound up. Screw those old ladies who can't take it. Don't come to an Ah-nuld movie next time you old biddy!

There was this one time, a lady came out an HOUR after Woody Allen's Small time Crooks had started and said she thought something might be wrong with the picture. I went into check and everybodies heads were cut off at the top of the frame. She said she thought it was just Woody's quirky style. There were twenty people in the audience and this lady was the first to come out and say something. I started laughing my butt off after I went upstairs and fixed it for them. An HOUR people. :D

Wolfwood319
04-16-2002, 09:16 AM
Man, I hate cell phones in theaters. They even have now a little segment before the previews telling people to turn off cell phones. But the last few movies I've seen, there is always a few times you hear one go off. And they never leave the theater, they just sit there and talk. It really gets on my nerves. I think it should be legal to stone these type of people in the streets.

RooJay
04-16-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by vulcantouch
gotta love that technology some theaters are usin to supress cell signals with a "dampening field" :cool: now we needa come up w/somthin similar for boneheads who play their car stereos too loud :evil:

I hear ya! This kind of technology should be standard practice in ALL theaters...and on all residential streets!

RooJay
04-16-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
it's 4 times as bad when the perp actually carries on a brief conversation. :cry:

"Brief" conversation?! I've gone to the movies and had people in the audience have conversations that last for most of the movie! I've even seen peopl try to conduct business over their cells during the movie; one guy even did so without whispering once!

RooJay
04-16-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
Caes, without the popcorn, the theatre would close. They sure ain't makin' money from the film (that all goes to the studio.)

That's not entirely true. It's just an excuse for the soaring prices at the snackbar! I've manged several theaters in my day, and it really depends on the movie and how long it plays. Some films don't make any money for the theater, some make BANK! The largest local theater chain in my area even has a standing policy barring the prevention of theater guests bringing in their own food! People are allowed to bring in how much, and whatever they want! I went to see a movie once where this family brought in TWO shopping bags of food with them. They seemed (sounded!) much more interested in eating than watching the movie! What with all the crunching and bag/ package rustling.

Babies cryin'? Go tell sombody! Theatre employees relish kicking people out of the theatre after they paid for a ticket. It's almost as much fun as kickin' out the teenagers!

I hear that! This used to be the favorite part of my job when I was in the theater biz! Don't even get me started on people who see a movie theater as a preferable alternative to a hotel room! Something I even had to deal with in the back row of an auditorium playing Inspector Gadget that was FILLED with KIDS! People are sick!

Also, I, in no way, advocate the use of drugs, but why can't people just get high BEFORE they get to the theater?! I don't even want to SMELL that crap!

RooJay
04-16-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by derek
vulcantouch,

i think we found something we agree on!:) i used to go to about 3 or four films a week, but in the last few years, i too have turned to dvd's for my filmgoing entertainment. my two biggest complaints are:

1. theatres who have the volume too low. they do this because the "explosions" are too loud, but end up hurting the overall film, because it lowers the actors voices.

Anyone who's worked in the theater biz knows this is a no win situation. If you turn the volume down because of the explosions, someone will complain the volume's too low; turn it up and someone complains it's too loud. You can never please everyone in the theater biz! Same thing with the temperature: one degree under 73 and EVERYONE complains it's too cold (and they always think tey're the first to discover the fact = LOTS OF COMPLAINTS about the same thing!), one degree over 73 and EVERYONE complains that it's too hot!

2. rude people. i recall a few years ago, i asked a guy who was doing a running commentary of the film to "please be quiet". this guy actually wanted to fight me! i'm not a violent person, but this was one time i was considering pounding someone. my better judgement prevailed and i eventually had to leave the theatre.
but i was surely tempted by the dark side. yoda would have been proud.:D

I actually saw an instance were the guy sitting in front of a cell phone jabberer turned and "Shushed" her. She started getting loud and arguing how he had no right to "sush" her; I think because she was so much more important than everyone else in the theater or something. She needed to be smacked!

Wolfwood319
04-16-2002, 02:41 PM
Hey, there's nothing wrong with playing the music too loud in your car. (actually, in my mind, there is no "too loud,";) ) I can see if the car is parked and they're just blasting the music, but if your driving, I've never seen the point of people wanting other people to turn their music down.

RooJay
04-16-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
Hey, there's nothing wrong with playing the music too loud in your car. (actually, in my mind, there is no "too loud,";) ) I can see if the car is parked and they're just blasting the music, but if your driving, I've never seen the point of people wanting other people to turn their music down.

This happens in my neighborhood 24hrs. a day! So you can imagine why I want it turned down (after 10pm at least!) Yeesh!

derek
04-16-2002, 04:39 PM
eternal padawan,

i'm not a trouble maker. besides, i just went to the same movie that started an hour later. besides, if i have to get up to complain about the audience or sound, it ruins the experience. i'd just rather start over at a fresh viewing.:)

roo jay,

there is an answer, or at least i have one. explosions are supposed to be LOUD.

don't the studios have requirements regarding the volume? and why does a movie theatre even have a volume knob? it's not like uncle joe and aunt beth are gonna drop in and you have to hit the "mute" button???

RooJay
04-16-2002, 04:55 PM
I really hate the people that sit thru the entire film and then come out and complain about the sound, or the focus, or the other audience members AFTER it's over. Why did you wait to complain? We could have corrected it in about 30 seconds whatever the problem was. I have no problem with turning the sound up. Screw those old ladies who can't take it. Don't come to an Ah-nuld movie next time you old biddy!

There was this one time, a lady came out an HOUR after Woody Allen's Small time Crooks had started and said she thought something might be wrong with the picture. I went into check and everybodies heads were cut off at the top of the frame. She said she thought it was just Woody's quirky style. There were twenty people in the audience and this lady was the first to come out and say something. I started laughing my butt off after I went upstairs and fixed it for them. An HOUR people. :D

For REAL! I've had this happen to me several times! They always come at ya all angry like, as if it were your fault that they decided to sit through the ENTIRE movie before saying something that would've fixed the problem within seconds! People don't seem to realize that most theaters nowadays don't have a projectionist for each auditorium that sits there through the whole movie.

RooJay
04-16-2002, 05:00 PM
there is an answer, or at least i have one. explosions are supposed to be LOUD.

don't the studios have requirements regarding the volume? and why does a movie theatre even have a volume knob? it's not like uncle joe and aunt beth are gonna drop in and you have to hit the "mute" button???

That's what I always tried to tell people!:stupid:
Yes, there is an industry standard for theater volume; although some studios occasionally ask that a particular film be played at a louder setting! Theaters also have volume knobs because, even though there is a standard volume level, sometimes movies are released without digitally encoded sound requiring them to be played higher on digital systems in order to be heard. That, and the fact that theater patrons are so picky (it's true! no matter how perfect you might think theater conditions are there is ALWAYS at least one person that has a complaint!) that it's just a matter of covering the bases!:D

187-Maul
04-16-2002, 06:59 PM
I don't care if the movie is to loud it just makes you want to tlak less to your pal etc. you're seeing it with - which is a good thing !
I even had people bringing laser-pointers to the movie and point it on the screen the hole time like in the eye of the actor or something like that ! I hate it when people do things like that

Eternal Padawan
04-16-2002, 07:26 PM
The volume is also affected by the size of an auditorium. A smaller theatre will seem "louder" than a bigger theatre at the same volume setting due to acoustics and number of surround speakers.

Our volume knobs work on a 9.9 volume scale and the studios recommend 7.0 but we usually play it between 5.5 and 6.0. I've turned some movies down to 4.8 because they were so freakin' loud you could hear them in the theatres on either side. Fast And The Furious and U-571 are two that come to mind. Often when somebody complains about volume we'll turn it down about five notches (so they notice it) and then slowly crank it back up to where it was. :D

bigbarada
04-16-2002, 09:07 PM
I think my worst theater experiences ever came from Army theaters. When I went to go see Jurassic Park in Germany, the theater workers were constantly walking up and down the aisle, across the aisles, sitting down getting up, carrying on a conversation while standing up in the middle of the freakin theater! They did it simply because they could and they knew they wouldn't get fired because their daddy was some bigshot General or Colonel or something. When I went to watch TPM at the theater in Fort Hood the volume was down so low that you could hear the phone ringing in the back office! The phone rang for a half-hour straight and no one picked it up! I'm convinced it was the theater employees just trying to irritate the audience. No one would call a theater and let the phone ring that long without giving up.

JediTricks
04-17-2002, 01:58 AM
Some theaters in LA allow outside food, most don't. I never really mind hearing folks enjoying their popcorn or raisinettes or whatnot, just so long as it's not ridiculously excessive.

What I can't stand is parents bringing young children into movies that are clearly not appropriate for kids, and especially when the kids start crying or talking or whatever.

I can't stand cellphones or pagers in theaters, I always turn mine on mute. It's weird but even on "vibrate", I can hear most phones in a theater. This wasn't a problem around here for a while, but as movies got worse and worse, the problem grew.

As for the volume, I've noticed it's getting a lot louder and more poorly balanced (not left-to-right, but mid-range sounds not being brought to the foreground).

As for not going and telling a theater employee, it usually takes a few minutes out of the viewer's movie-watching time, and who wants to miss a potentially-important part of the film even if for obnoxious kids or cut-off heads?

One thing I can't stand is when a theater doesn't finish playing the credits, I sit through ALL the credits if the movie isn't terrible because all those people worked hard to bring this enjoyment and deserve to be seen - plus, some films add little treats at the ends of their credits.

RooJay
04-17-2002, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
One thing I can't stand is when a theater doesn't finish playing the credits, I sit through ALL the credits if the movie isn't terrible because all those people worked hard to bring this enjoyment and deserve to be seen - plus, some films add little treats at the ends of their credits.

Some times it's out of the theater's control. Like this one time when we had the film wrap during the previous show (anyone familiar with the platter system that most theaters use now knows what a wrap is, and how most of the time it's difficult, and sometimes impossible to prevent) causing my projectionist to have to splice out the very tail end of the credits. The film was so badly damaged that it would never have run through the projector. There was this guy in the audience who happened to be a member of the Actor's Guild. He threw a fit, and threatened to tell the Guild on us! Oooooooh, Scary! He would not listen to any explanation, would accept no apology, and hung around for like half an hour insisting that we play the missing part of the credits just for him; even though we had explained VERY politely that it was impossible! He finally agreed to accept free passes and a refund, and while we were waiting I decided to try and make small talk to help diffuse the situation a little more, and to learn a little information I had been wondering for a while. I asked the guy what is required to join the Actor's Guild. He looked at me all angry like and had the nerve to ask "Are you making fun of me?!". I managed to assure him that I was just curious. Then he asked me what kind of acting I was interested in, and proceeded to insult me and all film actors by telling me "Stage acting is the ONLY real kind of acting!". Jerk.
Gee, I've got a lot of pent up anger about my time in the theater business!:crazed:

Eternal Padawan
04-17-2002, 08:05 AM
For those of you having problems with "wrap" simply tuck the tail of the print under the rest of the film and voila! The weight of the film keeps the tucked section in place. By the time it becomes untucked it means there is no film on top of it and it's at the end anyway.

Me? I'm always forgetting to go back over and flip the rewind switch on the platter (sheepish grin) :D.

InsaneJediGirl
04-17-2002, 08:46 AM
What I can't stand is parents bringing young children into movies that are clearly not appropriate for kids, and especially when the kids start crying or talking or whatever.

The same thing happened to me for TPM and LOTR.When I saw TPM,a bunch of guys were dressed up as Darth Maul sat behind me.Next thing you know,this 3 year old and his mom sit next to the Maul Wannabes.The 3 year old started crying..claiming that
the Mauls were going to kill him..and kept up his crying 30 minutes into the film.:mad: :mad:

As for LOTR,Someone brought a 1 year old or so into see the movie..luckly,the kids mother was smart and took the child out into the Lobby..

Bel-Cam Jos
04-17-2002, 10:35 AM
Phones: Hardest situations I've been in have involved my friends. THEY were the ones carrying on the cell phone conversation! (It's happened only twice, but still!) Now, Forumites, tell how I should've handled that one, huh? I just felt ashamed, but I didn't tell him to cut it short. I personally HATE cell phones as a general rule, mainly when DRIVING, in CHURCH, in STORES, in CLASSROOMS, etc. Is it really so important to make/take the call at that specific moment in time? Emergencies? Definately. To say, "Hey! Yeah, that's right. Uh huh. No; it's under the couch, next to the old Cheeze Whiz. Uh huh. Uh huh. Ha ha ha! Really? Sure. I'll go. Thursday? No, how about Friday? Okay. Okay. Uh huh. Okay. Yeah, bye." Grr! Arr! :frus: :Pirate:

Food: Irrelevant. I don't have a problem with anything except those who POP OPEN THE SODA CANS THEY'VE SMUGGLED IN DURING THE FILM! :eek:

Babies: Tough call. I'm with those who've said young kids in PG-13 or R films is innappropriate, even with parents or guardians. Screaming by anyone for more than a couple minutes or so should be removed, maybe just for a couple more minutes. Should there be "cry rooms" like in some churches? I don't know.

2-1B
04-17-2002, 12:48 PM
Well, I sincerely admire the tolerance some of you can show regarding the sound of that awful popcorn. But to me, it's worse than people whispering during the flick.

JT, raisinettes can certainly be abused, but they are nowhere near the level of that smacking popcorn sound. :(

RooJay
04-17-2002, 03:50 PM
For those of you having problems with "wrap" simply tuck the tail of the print under the rest of the film and voila! The weight of the film keeps the tucked section in place. By the time it becomes untucked it means there is no film on top of it and it's at the end anyway.

Me? I'm always forgetting to go back over and flip the rewind switch on the platter (sheepish grin) :D.

That's standard practice but does nothing to prevent static.

RooJay
04-17-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
Phones: Hardest situations I've been in have involved my friends. THEY were the ones carrying on the cell phone conversation! (It's happened only twice, but still!) Now, Forumites, tell how I should've handled that one, huh? I just felt ashamed, but I didn't tell him to cut it short. I personally HATE cell phones as a general rule, mainly when DRIVING, in CHURCH, in STORES, in CLASSROOMS, etc. Is it really so important to make/take the call at that specific moment in time? Emergencies? Definately. To say, "Hey! Yeah, that's right. Uh huh. No; it's under the couch, next to the old Cheeze Whiz. Uh huh. Uh huh. Ha ha ha! Really? Sure. I'll go. Thursday? No, how about Friday? Okay. Okay. Uh huh. Okay. Yeah, bye." Grr! Arr! :frus: :Pirate:

As any of my friends will tell ya, I'd have absolutely no problem at all telling them to shut up or take it outside!

187-Maul
04-17-2002, 07:16 PM
that was exactly what I was thinking of, eternal padawan, fast and the furious! that movie was SO loud I couldn't hear anything when I went out of the cinema at the end - but it tensed the situations more when the motors are screaming that loud...just loooved that movie...

187-Maul
04-17-2002, 07:25 PM
luckily, my pals are nice (as I am;) ) and shut off there phone when seeing a movie
most cinemas I've been in don't allow outside food although they were pretty big and didn't look like they needed the money

JediTricks
04-17-2002, 10:38 PM
InsaneJediGirl, I saw "South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut" (a very R-rated film) at a 10pm show on opening weekend with a packed house, and a bunch of so-called "parents" brought their little ones in who were all tired and complaining and crying and asking what the characters were talking about. The film is about the very issue these "parents" don't get!

Bel-Cam, I just thought of something about food in theaters besides soda cans (and bottles, same complaint really) that I can't stand: smelly food! Do you really have to bring curry beef and garlic chicken into the damn theater?!?

Caesar, I honestly don't hear any "smacking" at all - the squeeky crunch of popcorn is one of my favorite delights in the theater. You're the only person I've ever heard complain about this one, is it really that bad, and if so, why?

2-1B
04-18-2002, 01:20 AM
JT, it's just an irritant to me, I know what you mean by the crunching but it's more than that. I think the root of it is this: I usually get there a good 15 minutes early or more, and unless there's music playing, I can hear others whispering. Imagine someone talking and then pausing to cram in a handful of popcorn, only to keep talking. I'm now revisted by horrible memories of waiting for Ali to start. The smacking in general is one thing, but I think the physical properties of the popcorn just multiply the problem. :D

You're on to something though, other than one friend I'm the only person I've ever heard complain about this either. ;)

As whiny as I sound here it's not like I'll ever complain about it vocally. Thanks for humoring my pet peeve! :D :cool:

InsaneJediGirl
04-18-2002, 08:41 AM
InsaneJediGirl, I saw "South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut" (a very R-rated film) at a 10pm show on opening weekend with a packed house, and a bunch of so-called "parents" brought their little ones in who were all tired and complaining and crying and asking what the characters were talking about. The film is about the very issue these "parents" don't get!

I've seen South Park on Pay-Per-View..It is NOT a childrens movie..and shouldnt be watched by anyone under the age of 15 or so.I really dont know why these"parents" brought their kids to see the South Park movie JT..especially with the language the characters use!

Caesar...Maybe you are just senstive to popcorn?:confused:
I normally get in the Theatre 30 minutes before the showing..
and never really noticed the popcorn..eating.

Eternal Padawan
04-18-2002, 11:48 AM
I've really noticed it either, Caesar. I think it might be gross to WATCh someone stuffing their face full of popcorn, but the sound has never affected me.

SithDroid
04-18-2002, 03:00 PM
What I can't stand at movie theatres are annoying teenagers during the weekends who try to act like they are "cool" in front of their friends. Most of them talk really loud during the movie and some of them bring those annoying laser pointers in and shine them at the screen. Come one kids, grow up. I was never like that when I was a teenager. Stop trying to show off. No one cares.

Mike Troxell
04-18-2002, 04:43 PM
I hate teenagers. I should know. I am one.

It is the great joy of my life to card people for R-rated movies and then kick them out after they buy a ticket to a movie that is PG-13 or less and trying to sneak in. I don't think I'd like my job at all if it weren't for that :)

And I think parents who take anyone under six to any R-rated movie (or anyone under fourteen to a South-Park-esque movie) deserves to take a class in parenting or give the child away to a good parent. These are the people who should have been castrated before they could reproduce. :mad:

RooJay
04-18-2002, 05:01 PM
Believe it or not Caesar, but there are others that are bothered by the sound of popcorn being eaten! Personally it doesn't bother me at all, but I can remember one instance in perticular where this woman came up to me in the lobby to complain about it. I guess she wanted me to go up to this person and say "Excuse me, but this woman doesn't think you know how to eat properly so I'm going to have to ask you to refrain for the rest of the movie.". The only thing I was within my rights and authority to do was help the woman with the complaint find a new seat or give her a refund. She seemed to think I was able to legally eject paying customers from the theater because someone else didn't like the sounds they make when they eat. I understand the complaint, but legally there is nothing that can be done in that case.

vulcantouch
04-18-2002, 07:20 PM
i remember as a kid attending a 2nd or 3rd viewing of anh & some kids ahead of us in line brought in a Whole Trash Bag of popcorn from home! lotta fun we all had passin it up& down the aisle :D of course, that was a coupla years Before the precedent-setting, nationally-publicized local incident of a couple gettin Arrested for bringin in their own food :rolleyes:
i don't recall bein distracted by the Noise of others' eating, but often the Smell. but that's partly cuz i've long since weaned myself off the habit of snackin while watchin flix, to the point that doing so now would feel odd to me. after all, if a flik's any good at all it's already enough of a sensory stimulus. also, i like to See what i'm eating, it's part of the culinary experience. so imo snackin & cinefilein' are incompatible pleasures. but as ep points out, this particular, vulgar institutionalized multitasking (snackin while cinefilin) comes down to economics.
as euros have long known, eating your meat (which is usually in the entree) first and Then the salad is better for digestion, not to mention meal enjoyment :) but american restaurants typically serve you the salad first cuz it's quicker for them to prepare than your meat entree, so you're served & finish your overall meal quicker, which increases turnover & profits for them. of course, some of us euroized, cafe-slummin yanks camp out over a meal for 2-3 hours (the industry term for us is, in fact, "campers" ) anyway, no matter What sequence the dishes arrive in. occasional dirty looks from the staff be damned, we're there for the ambience as much as the food; after all, they're really sellin the sizzle, not the steak :happy:

jt: i too watch to the end, maybe not 100% attentively but i do, for the music, to see who played this or that anonybabe ( :kiss: ), what outside music was used, cuz there might be surprises and simply cuz It's Part of the Flik :)

lm: "I hope they have a good reason for it, like they are an E.R. doctor"
-but even an er md should have the sense to either use "VibraTe" or not see flix at all :)

sd: "No one cares"
-obviously You do, and obviously they can tell, which is why they do it. cuz i understand challenging the status quo is just in their blood, when teens are "teens" around me, my reaction is the one they least like: slightly amused, mostly bored, patient condescension. takes the ****outtuvum evrry time ;)

ww319: luckily, i hear progress is being made on a discreet, focused-microwave transmitter which shorts out the electrical system (and Fries the stereo or obnoxious harley engine) of any nearby vehicle it's pointed at :evil:
just cuz a stereo Can make lotsa noise doesn't mean it Should. in general, the right to free expression ends where my ears begin. the sonic war waged on our streets has been one-sided for too long now. soon, the battle will be joined :cool:

derek: volume variations throughout the flik are of course part of its experience, but it's always nice to have options right? so another advantage to homevid is not only when splosions are too loud you can turn it down & when dialog's too quiet you can turn it up; if you Still can't make out what they saying you can activate closecaptions (which, as i recently sed in Hump thred, also worked great for ethan hawke's Hamlet) :)

b-cj: "tell how I should've handled that one"
-loyalty to one's friends is important, but so is theirs to you. remaining decisive is the key. whenever it's come up, i've always made it clear that if people wanna continue public socializing w/me they will refrain from such gauche behavior. i'm always happy to explain to them why what they're doing's wrong, and it always took at most one or 2 incidents for the message to take. but i'm pretty stubborn about it and make it clear that while it's open to discussion it's Not open to debate. cuz if i gotta choose, my impeccable rep's more important & stylin than either their self-indulgences Or their company :)

ijg: "The 3 year old started crying..claiming that the Mauls were going to kill him"
-oh, if Only ;)
retreivin theater personnel's usually too much of a hassle, so next time some brain-tumor lets loose w/sustained noise abuse, sit right next to em & start burpin & fartin. your fun-ruining resentment will melt Miraculously away (cuz it's just your sense of justice tryin to tell you to Take Action :evil: ), you'll have a Much better time, teach them a lesson and Get Results :Pirate:
vt

SWAFMAN
04-18-2002, 10:42 PM
Caesar, you would probably go postal sitting near me in a theatre. I am a terrible cruncher/crammer/smacker with my popcorn. tortilla chips, too!

my biggest peeve at theatres usually happens at the major popular films like Star Wars sequels, LOTR, Potter, and anything popular with younger folks. I guess I must've ****ed off a gypsy or something, becaue for some reason I am cursed to Always sit next to a group of teens who have already seen the movie I'm there to see, and they feel compelled to discuss every frame of the movie, in detail, while waiting for the movie to start. Sometimes, they keep doing so throughout the trailers and even into the movie. Now, the cure for this would be to Always go to the very first showing for every movie, but that isn't always practical for me. Also, since I'm usually seeing very popular films, usually in their opening weekend, the theatre is packed, and moving seats is sometimes not possible. I love VT's suggestion that I ought to payback these offenders with some offensive bodily emissions of my own. Great idea!

I also wonder how many others here, like me, prefer sitting in the front row for "special effects movies"? I like getting the movie mainlined into my nervous system, with no rows of talking, bobbing heads in front of me. Unfortunately, I don't always get to do this, since my girlfriend refuses to sit there.

187-Maul
04-19-2002, 08:25 AM
I'm sorry to disappoint you all but I was 12 when I went to go see South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut with a pal in the same age in the cinema
we just bought the ticket and went in and I have to say: I loved it !!! and I DID understand everything - and I have it on video

InsaneJediGirl
04-19-2002, 08:50 AM
The only food I would like to see removed from Theaters is Pop Rocks...It is soo annnoying when a group of teenagers(I am one but I'll complain anyways) have these things and the entire movie is ruined.Wait until AFTER the movie if you want to eat the stupid pop rocks.

187-Maul,Did your parents get the ticket,or do they not card where you live?

SithDroid
04-19-2002, 12:12 PM
Some theatres don't care. I went to see Not Another Teen Movie in December. The movie is rated R and there is nudity in it. I went with some friends and there were about 5 or 6 10-16 year olds running around without supervision. Sometimes I think that it is because the people working at the theatre just don't care.

Mike Troxell
04-19-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by 187-Maul
I'm sorry to disappoint you all but I was 12 when I went to go see South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut with a pal in the same age in the cinema
we just bought the ticket and went in and I have to say: I loved it !!! and I DID understand everything - and I have it on video

But did your parents let you? Lord knows kids want to see (and occasionally can pull off getting into) R-rated movies, especially the vulgar kind. However, I find it hard to believe there are many parents who are cognizant of the subject matter in, say, a Kevin Smith movie, an American Pie movie, or South Park, who would still let their kids go at that young age.

JediTricks
04-19-2002, 04:05 PM
Caesar, I too am a popcorn-crammer like my buddy Swaffy, I love the way movie houses prepare the product (that and those roller/steamer hot dogs, my 2nd worst movie vice after the corn) so I actually am concerned that I may be annoying those around me, but not enough to actually STOP! ;)

As for noisy/annoying teens, I've found myself getting very curt with that crap very fast these days, real snappish but never rude.

2-1B
04-20-2002, 03:44 AM
JT, they actually make the popcorn?
At my local haunt they just empty these HUGE bags of pre-popped corn under the heating lamps and serve from there. Kinda depressing to see how it functions, because they do put on a nice concession display. :)

SithDroid, when you say
I went with some friends and there were about 5 or 6 10-16 year olds running around without supervision. do you mean there was an assortment of youths that all fell into that range, or was it one group that you estimated to be between the ages of 10 and 16 ? Because if you are implying that it is difficult to tell if these kids were 10 or 16, that is funny! :D

Mike Troxell
04-20-2002, 07:00 AM
My theater makes their popcorn. Orville Reddenbacher's finest, nasty oil, heaping amounts of industrial grade butter-salt and all.

187-Maul
04-20-2002, 08:03 AM
my parents knew where I was going, they knew what south park was and I bought the ticket myself
I watched south park on tv a long time already at that moment

Mike Troxell
04-20-2002, 02:09 PM
Well then please do not read anything into my previous comment about Castration, 187 :stupid: :crazed:

SWAFMAN
04-20-2002, 06:14 PM
harrisburg, eh MikeT? cool. i like harrisburg. i think our capitol building is better looking than the U.S. capitol building in DC, and the veterans memorial is as amazing as it is educational. I also really like the island rec area, with the ball field, horse & buggies and paddle wheel tour boat. sure wish they'd have a sci-fi con there! what theatre do you work at?

chewie
04-20-2002, 06:38 PM
There are few things that bother me in theaters, but what does bother me generally happens more often than I like. Too hot or too cold a theater isn't really an issue, nor is how good the seating, but there is....

People talking. My goodness its annoying. It happens so much that I don't understand why I, or the people talking their way through the film, paid the $8 to see it. It ruins my viewing, and I don't see how they could soak in what they saw while they chatted.

Cheering from the crowd. Very rarely happens, but when it does happen while watching a movie, it brings me no end of disgust. Why yell at a 2D screen? I understand it completely at real events with people on a stage, but not in a movie theater. This is a reason I do not go to movies on opening days, especially to a Star Wars flick. :)

People that sit in front of you in very vacant theaters. Why do people insist on doing this? You've already sat down to watch the film, thinking that whatever little people that make their way into the film would sit somewhere else, but yet they sit right in front of you. Wouldn't bother me in a crowded theater.

Donations. You sit down and pay $8 per ticket when some charity or organization wants you to give more money, and at a place and time where you want to find some simple escapism.... I'm happy to say I've never given any money to an usher walking down the aisles at the movies.

Laser pointers. As has already been said... No better way put me back into reality in an angry mood while watching a film than to see a red dot go up on the screen. Worse than people talking, but fortunately doesn't happen nearly as often.

Mike Troxell
04-20-2002, 07:00 PM
AMC CC9 :)

Harrisburg is a great town. I agree about the capital building too!

But I digress...the donations never really bothered me. My theater has never done it before, but it's for a good cause and, as with any charity, no one is forcing you to give. The theaters aren't getting a cut.

Cheering from the crowd? I've only experienced this five times. The opening night show of A New Hope Special Edition, all three times i saw TPM in its original release, and after the Clone War trailer we ran in front of ET ended. Star Wars seems like a great reason to cheer to me, and unless it obscures dialogue I don't care.

jeddah
04-21-2002, 01:41 PM
..I'd hate to see a film in a US cinema if they behave like you guys are reporting....

Luckily we have an aloofness that is usually a curse but in this instance it seems to work in our favour. I always sit at the very front row as not many brits seem to like this position. I liked the effect of having to follow the action on screen with my head rather than just my eyes :D

Mobile phones are banned from use here in Bournemouth and although they can be heard firing up as soon as the doors disgorge the audience, the screening is usually silent after the film has started in earnest.

Popcorn chammers don't bother me; I'm with JT on this; it's like Christmas without snow.

And another thing. This nazi food rule madness about bringing in outside food has not infected us......yet.

jeddah

JediTricks
04-21-2002, 10:47 PM
Most of the theaters I go to - major chains or not - make their own popcorn. The larger theaters also have bagged to suppliment their popcorn-making efforts for busy days.

Cheering from the crowd never bothers me, that's part of the movie experience, you're all immersed in the enjoyment of a film TOGETHER.

Chewie, worse than someone sitting in front of you in a relatively empty theater is when they sit NEXT to you in a relatively empty theater - I can't STAND that! It's just like a parking lot, we'll park and when we come back, there are 30 empty spaces around us and yet some yutz has parked RIGHT next to us.

RooJay
04-22-2002, 03:08 PM
Cheering from the crowd never bothers me, that's part of the movie experience, you're all immersed in the enjoyment of a film TOGETHER.

I'm with you on this one! For me cheering is not only part of the experience, it's expected. In fact, I usually get disappointed when I see a movie with a passionless audience! I WANT to hear people cheer and laugh! Part of going to the movies for me is being able to share in the experience with others.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-22-2002, 06:11 PM
Talking during the movie (loud enough to be heard) is awful! :mad: Cheering is okay, but only if the scene is appropriate. A "hooray!" during Alderaan's explosion (That happened when I saw ANH:SE) wasn't right, to me. People putting their feet up on the backs of the chairs when the feet touch the head of the person sitting in it (or on the armrest) is terrible, too!

JediTricks
04-22-2002, 07:34 PM
You folks who seem to have big annoyances with movie theaters, do you like drive-ins?

2-1B
04-23-2002, 03:38 AM
Been to a drive in once, I actually snuggled up outside on the lawn. :) It was fun, but they are rare here and I wouldn't go often anyway.

How's this for Theater Cell Phone Courtesy?
Last night I attended a comedy show (Jimmy Fallon) and during his act a phone started ringing. Now that is downright rude. Movies are bad enough, but when there's a live person on stage providing entertainment, it seems twice as bad. :( To Jimbo's credit, he turned it into a nice improv, asking if that was a cell phone and if there was a drug deal being made. It was a funny comeback.

187-Maul
04-23-2002, 08:16 AM
I remember in JP 1 when the T-rex ate that guy on the toilet almost everybody in the cinema laughed loud and cheered - that sucked! at least nobody has done this in any SW movie I've seen in the theater
and when I saw deep blue sea in the scene where the girl puts off her rubber suit and stands there with only slip and bra everybody (including me;) ) cheered - that was pretty funny IMO

SWAFMAN
04-23-2002, 09:17 PM
we have a local drive-in, one of the few still in operation in this region. they transmit the audio so you can tune-in on your car stereo or boom box. weather permitting, I try to go at least once a season (they're only open from about memorial day to labor day). the price is very reasonable (used to be $5 a carload, now is $5 per person, and kids are free), and they always show double features. On Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day, they have dusk-to-dawn all-night movies. if it isn't raining or foggy, the picture is pretty good. i like sitting outside, in folding chairs with a boom box. it's been a a good time in years past, but just like the indoor theaters, there are so many people who lately are just becoming SO inconsiderate or outright malicious, that I'm less and less inclined to go any more. You can't bring little kids, for all the foul language (from the audience, NOT the films). There's often some dillweed with a flashlight (not even a laser pointer), or a group of teens yelling throughout the movie. It's really too bad, because many of my favorite memories of my childhood were going to the drive-in with my parents, then later on my own with dates. Just another reason to withdraw from real in-person social interaction and stay inside our own homes (often on the Internet ;)). Thank You all you worthless piece of crap non-parents of the current teen generation, for being too lazy or stoned to have raised kids who care about anything past the boundaries of their own flesh.

RooJay
04-23-2002, 09:29 PM
AMEN to that! How are people being raised nowadays? I was raised to repect others!

chewie
04-23-2002, 09:40 PM
Drive ins? None have existed around me since the time I could drive to them. Parents never took me to one before then either.

SithDroid
04-24-2002, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by RooJay
AMEN to that! How are people being raised nowadays? I was raised to repect others!

I think that todays generation of kids are mainly trouble makers and feel like they have to show off. When I was a teenager I was never rude at movies or loud and obnoxious in public.

187-Maul
04-24-2002, 07:01 PM
I actually am still polite :D
no really I hold open doors for others, help other people when they ask me something (like older people in the supermarket who can't get to the top of the aisle - I'm 1.80 meter and still growing:D )
but there are a lot of guys here in about my age who aren't that friendly and even pick on smaller children on the streets or sumthin like that

2-1B
02-01-2009, 03:37 PM
One of our local theaters put up signs recently saying that anyone texting or talking on their phone will be asked to leave. Bravo!

RooJay
02-03-2009, 01:59 AM
I saw a movie this past summer in a mostly empty theater. I group of girls in their late teens (possibly old enough for college, and certainly old enough to know better sat almost directly behind my wife and I. The girl closest too me was popping her gum loud enough through the entire movie, that she must have thought she was watching in the privacy of her own home with no strangers trying to enjoy the movie they had paid for. This even after I had gone so far as to turn back and asked her politely to stop. I do not consider myself a violent person, but it took every ounce of strength I had not to wheel back and punch her in her face. Even then, it was only on my wife's insistence that I didn't chew up some gum of my own and spit it in her hair. She deserved at least that, but I had to be the better person.:whip: