PDA

View Full Version : What catches your eye when looking for figures?

Jedi_Rainman
04-15-2002, 10:34 PM
Really just seeing them catches my eye. I buy them all, but what about you people out there that collect only a certain few or amount or kind? What makes you buy the figures that you do? Why is that figure(s) so unique to you?

DarthChuckMc
04-15-2002, 10:40 PM
I look for detail in the face mostly. Overall sculpt is important, but the likenessnes are what really gets me excited over a figure. Army builders are always cool in multiple quanities, so long as they are somewhat posable. The Commtech stormies were by far the best. Hopefully the Red Clonetrooper (and if we're lucky..yellow) will be similar to the CT Stormies in articulation.

jedihunter25
04-15-2002, 10:49 PM
I buy them all too. If there is more than one of the same figure, I'll check and buy the one with the least sloppy paint. I have a Hoth Leia (fan club exclusive) that has dark brown paint on her face.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-15-2002, 11:44 PM
Any droids I'll get or any kind of bad buy, i.e., Imperial, stormie, sith. I try to stay away from resculpts like Daffy Duck Maul or Mechanakin.

LTBasker
04-16-2002, 12:53 AM
Detail, articulation, features, playability, likeness, accessories (can never have too many extra weapons and misc. junk), and availabilty. Not always in the same order but about that. :D

bigbarada
04-16-2002, 12:54 AM
First off I look for specific characters, then it has to be a decent sculpt of that character. However, the final deciding factor is the paint job. Especially on the face. If I can't find a good paint job then I won't buy the figure no matter how much I want him or her.

I'm not sure if anyone else notices this; but certain stores get well painted figures more often than others. I've noticed that Wal-Marts and Targets tend to get figures with good paint jobs much more often than TRUs.

Wolfwood319
04-16-2002, 01:10 AM
Well, I know what I'm looking for before I hit the stores, thanks to my online perusing habits. Usually though, anything that's not a Ketwol catches my eye these days.:rolleyes:

I mostly like big figures, though. Like the deluxe figs, Dexter, and the upcoming Ephant Mon. Something that fills the bubble up catches my eye more so than a small figure.

stillakid
04-16-2002, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Jedi_Rainman
What catches your eye when looking for figures?

Actually finding them.

aharry
04-16-2002, 01:40 AM
Figures I don't have yet!!!

AT-AT Man
04-16-2002, 07:25 AM
i look for jedi, i'm a big jedi man.

JEDIpartner
04-16-2002, 09:13 AM
I look for characters that interest me and then see how the facial detail is. I also look at the playability aspect and detail. Some of the new "figures" are virtually the same as the new Hallmark ornaments- One pose statues. That's not a toy. Pack-ins are bonuses to me. The figures must be able to be put into any situation- THAT'S what I look for.

CrossWizard
04-16-2002, 09:56 AM
I look for my favorite characters, then look at the the articulation and the pose. Im also very nitpicky when it comes to paint jobs and bent weapons and sabers.

evenflow
04-16-2002, 10:20 AM
At this point it doesnt matter I just buy them all.

Jayspawn
04-16-2002, 10:44 AM
I really like Jedi figures. The lightsabers catch my eye. I'm also very won over by nice sculpts.

Unit-01
04-16-2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by CrossWizard
I look for my favorite characters, then look at the the articulation and the pose. Im also very nitpicky when it comes to paint jobs and bent weapons and sabers.

Same here.

Darth Ovori
04-16-2002, 11:18 AM
Cool-sleek armors, important characters, Cool looking villians, Droids...

As for the toy qaulity, balance articulation and standard pose, paint job, detail and price tag...

BoShek
04-16-2002, 02:33 PM
I buy figures that I don't have yet (aka not another stinking Vader).

As for the actual figures, I look at the paint job of their eyes. I am very picky when it comes to how the eyes are painted; they have to be just right.

Jargo
04-16-2002, 06:49 PM
Value for money. What size is the figure, what accessories does it have, is it packed with another figure, can it be posed, how many colours were used in the paint job, will it fir with other characters or stand alone (ugnaughts) for yonks until they get round to giving us more characters from that scene. can i fit that character into another scene without it looking odd. Can i buy multiples without them looking odd stood next to each other, can the others be reposed to stand slightly differently. is it HTF, is it cheap, will i still like it in a week/month/year, will there be a better resculpt later on, will my partner go mad at me if i buy this figure, can my bank account stand to buy this when I've already spent up my allocated funds for this month, do i have room for this figure, would my nephew play with this figure or just toss it to one side?

All that. :)