PDA

View Full Version : Possible Origin of Anakin's Name??

Sith Lord 0498
04-16-2002, 11:56 AM
I don't know how much validity this has or if I'm even the first one to think of this, but I thought I'd share this idea with you guys and see what your thoughts are on this anyways. I was just looking up and staring at the box for my Anakin Skywalker lightsaber on my shelf out of sheer boredom (pathetic isn't it?) and something suddenly struck me as I read the name "Anakin."

"Ana" + "kin"

Just to be sure I wasn't imagining things, I pulled out my dictionary and looked up the prefix "an" and saw that it means "not" or "without." Roughly translated, "Anakin" may represent "without kin" I know that Anakin clearly has a genetic family (Shmi, Luke, and Leia), but maybe this is an allusion to his apparent conception by the Force. If so, that means Lucas had envisioned this type of an origin as far back as the original trilogy.

Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but I thought it interesting nevertheless. Thoughts?

Jargo
04-16-2002, 12:08 PM
It was said by lucas to be based on an old guy who had inspired much in the way of philosophical teachings or something like that. I believe his surname was Anikin or similar and Lucas used it as a bow to the great old man. I'm sure there's someone who can clarify this for me with the relevent article but it's definately based on a real name. nice try though. :)

gibbyhayes
04-16-2002, 12:15 PM
My only problem with your theory Sith Lord is that it's too complicated. How about naming him "Nokin" or "Nilkin" or "Zerokin". Me, I prefer "Uno" (or "Whinyf**kinbrat":Pirate:

Sith Lord 0498
04-16-2002, 02:11 PM
Maybe because Anakin just sounds better than those other choices. As far as being complicated, like I said--sheer boredom and way too much time on my hands. But it can't be any more complicated than midichlorians in Jedi's cells (which has a distinct ring to mitochondria). Just because it's complicated doesn't mean it's not possible. Just look at how many very different drafts Lucas went through for the original "Star Wars."

Although, EMPEROR JARGO's response is probably closer to the truth anyways. It was fun speculation though. :)

Bosskman
04-16-2002, 02:15 PM
There used to be a tribe who lived somewhere in the middle east a long time ago called the Anakim. They were said to be gianst, or at least really big. They're mentioned a few times in the Bible. I heard from somewhere (I can't remember exactly) that George based the name Anakin on them. It was a long time ago I heard that.

Jargo
04-16-2002, 02:26 PM
No, honestly, from the mouth of George himself came the fact that he based the name on an old professor of his at college or something. The guys surname was very very close to Anakin and Lucas only changed a couple of letters around. But that's where the name came from. I swear it's the godshonest truth. I'm darned sure it's in the annotated screenplays but I don't have time to root through for it right now.

bigbarada
04-16-2002, 05:07 PM
Just elaborating on Bosskman's observation, because it really is interesting when you consider who Anakin is. Anakim were also referred to in the Bible, and Torah, as 'Nefilim,' literally "fallen ones." They were supposedly the offspring of Angels coming down from heaven to sleep with the human women. The children born of this union are described as giants or titans. Whether by deed or physical stature is up to your interpretation. The Torah describes them as, "the mightiest ones who ever existed, men of renown."

So it might not be the original inspiration for Anakin's name; but it does draw some interesting parallels to his story.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-17-2002, 11:41 AM
Check the Classic Trilogy section here under the thread "Jabba's Skiff Guards" for other possibilities of name origins. It's the latest in a series of SSG threads on the topic, plus it includes links to the Old Forums ones. Enjoy! My Baby Thread... (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=251) :cry: I'm so proud...