PDA

View Full Version : Jango the Fett

gibbyhayes
04-16-2002, 01:02 PM
Alright, this post is going to get me in trouble. You'll either berate me for my foolishness, or enlist to team up against me. I'll take my abuse but let's discuss why JANGO (& BOBA) ARE NECESSARY TO THIS FILM.
First, Jango is dispatched to clean up Zam's apparent mess (why send a woman to do a man's job (sorry) - why not just send him in the first place?).
Second, we know he is the template for the clones (I can think of a better sales pitch than "They'll do their job.")
Third, we all love his son so much we crave back story, but..
He makes the allegiances in this film all the more confusing. I'm already blurry about the whole Dooku/Tyranus/Palaptine/Sidious thing. There's just so much simultaneous enemy/ally stuff going on and he's supposedly in bed with both of them?h
I expect your backlash, and will explain myself further as needed.:Pirate: :Pirate:

jawaboy
04-16-2002, 01:13 PM
They are in the film because they are marketable. Same reason Spudme will appear in midrift and Ani's nipple shots. Ka-ching. $$$$

JetsAndHeels
04-16-2002, 01:17 PM
Dont you want to know where the clones came from? Dont you want to see how Boba got his reputation? Come on, Jango is the man who helped create the clone army. He is pretty much responsible for what would later become the empire's elite ranks of the stormtroopers. Jango's importance is far more than just being Boba's dad. He sets the bar for what will be the empire's army.
Plus its pretty obvious he can fight a heck of alot better than his son.

2-1B
04-16-2002, 01:30 PM
I don't love his son, so I crave no backstory . . . :D

I think his allegiance is to the cash, and Palps must be paying a lot via the Kaminoans. It looks like Dooku is in it for revenge/ideology/contempt while Jango is seeing dollar $ign$. A deadly combination indeed ! :)

bigbarada
04-16-2002, 02:13 PM
The only characters who absolutely HAVE to be in the prequels are Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Palpatine and Padme. You could argue yourself blue in the face as to why this character is necessary or that character is unnecessary; but in then end it is all just a moot point. They are all in the film, there is nothing we can do about it except relax and enjoy it.

Personally, I never cared much for Boba Fett; the whole mysterious past thing really turned me off. It's easy for a writer to just make up a two-dimensional character with no backstory and cover it up by claiming that his/her past is a "mystery." So having Boba and his dad Jango in the prequels and getting an idea of their history and realizing that they really are key to the saga (not just eye candy) is welcome.

JetsAndHeels
04-17-2002, 01:22 PM
I agree. I want to see how much of a bad *** Jango really is. I want to see how Boba gets his reputation (not just from being a Fett) and how he evolves into his character in the OT. Of course alot of this will be explained in EP3 but with the events surrounding Boba and Jango in AOTC I am sure we will get a glimpse of how Boba becomes who he is when we see him in the OT.

JEDIpartner
04-17-2002, 01:47 PM
I think Boba Fett looked cool to an extent, but I have never been "Fett crazed". I suppose a back story would make Boba Fett's allegiance to the Empire a little more interesting in the later films...

As far as Jango goes... sure- why not. He looks like he could bust a few heads. It should be fun having him around for the duration of the film. I'll take anything I can get as long as it's entertaining.

Omega Fett
04-18-2002, 12:13 AM
well i love the hell outta Boba Fett and got into all the books and comics on him but now in ATOC when i first first saw the preveiw (the first ONE) i was Like OMFG some guy in silver boba fett armor and a slave 1 flrying around hmmm errrr Bobas dad or those Mandlorains are comming lol. iam a huge star wars fan and of crose am going to see the movie but with Jango and Boba in the movie and a story on how boba came to be makes it 10000000% more worth seeing to me lol :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

he-ro
04-18-2002, 09:51 AM
.............besides, Jango is simply BAD ***!

Wolfwood319
04-18-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by he-ro
.............besides, Jango is simply BAD ***!

Errr....the jury is still out on that one.:rolleyes:

I was never a Fett fan, I always thought he was overrated, especially for a guy who does absolutely nothing. Jango at least seems to do some things in this movie, but he can't stand up to the jedi. All in all, he seems to be a one-trick pony like Maul was. All flash, maybe a good fight scene or two, but in the end, worthless.

JetsAndHeels
04-18-2002, 10:32 AM
Whoa, Wolfwood. That was a little harsh my friend. I agree with you that Boba Fett is a little overrated, but I still like him. I have always been a Fett fan, but now seeing Jango and what he does in this film makes me even more excited. Jango doesnt seem as stationary as Boba, in that he is more combative and will be in alot more of the action sequences. Other than at his demise at the Sarlacc Pit, Boba never really did anything. He just stood around. Cool character, but not much action. Although Jango's time in the saga is brief, he is very much involved and is also very important to the story. Therefore, he takes the top spot as my favorite Fett!!

Casual George
04-18-2002, 02:46 PM
28 eight days and counting...:D

Taichi
04-18-2002, 10:03 PM
Speak for yourself, Boba Fett's popularity sickens me........

I don't understand how people fell in love with a DO NOTHING character, simply based on the look of a costume........

fell in love with the character so much, that because he DID NOT do anything in the original trilogy, George is gonna make up for that fact, in the new trilogy, by making him some sort of badass.....

sorry, but that's too little too late for me.......

should've made him do more than die to begin with......

The Fetts are synonomous with Lucas and McCallum......

their motivation is money, and they're content to stand around and do nothing while millions worship them........

interesting comparison, I'd say......

and while Jango looses his head, Lucas (Daddy Fett) will fulfill this prophecy as well........he's got a big ego......and fools around with his stuff too much.....if he doesn't watch himself, he's going to ruin the classic films as well as the prequels......

and McCallum is a lot like Boba.......in the fact that Boba died while falling into a giant sphincter, and McCallum also is firmly lodged into one (Lucas')

Wolfwood319
04-18-2002, 10:11 PM
Jango doesn't seem to do much either except get his *** kicked. He's about as threatening as a koala bear in a trash can. GL probably just decided to go this route because he's a recognizable character.

Hey, at least he has more than a half dozen lines, though. That's more than Darth Maul and Boba Fett in all the movies combined...:rolleyes:

Jedi Clint
04-18-2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
Jango doesn't seem to do much either except get his *** kicked. He's about as threatening as a koala bear in a trash can. GL probably just decided to go this route because he's a recognizable character.

Hey, at least he has more than a half dozen lines, though. That's more than Darth Maul and Boba Fett in all the movies combined...:rolleyes:

Yeah.......except he bests Obi Wan Kenobi. I'd call that note-worthy enough to consider him slightly more threatening than your average marsupial ;).

bigbarada
04-19-2002, 03:14 AM
When Boba Fett was first introduced he was labeled a "major new character in the Star Wars saga." Thus, I was always under the impression that Boba had a role to play in the prequels. So Jango and Boba being in Ep2 doesn't bother me one bit. Contrived? No. Jamming Boba into ANH was contrived, as was his extra scene in ROTJ.

Don't even get me started on EU.

JetsAndHeels
04-19-2002, 08:29 AM
Wolfwood,
A koala bear in a trash can could be threatening. Those things can get pretty hostile at times!!

Toad
04-19-2002, 01:47 PM
A "do nothing" character? He tracked down and trapped Han Solo in ESB. Had he not done that, it's conceivable that Han would have never been frozen in carbonite, meaning we would never have met Jabba, etc. etc.

He may have had limited screentime, but so did the Emporer in the ANH and ESB. Limited screentime and dialogue doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't do anything.

It's funny to me that all this Boba Fett backlash comes out now, when fans finally get a glimpse of him once again. My guess is, most of the people who "have never been big fans" were just the opposite. To each his own, but just because a writer doesn't give a background for every character doesn't make that character 2-dimensional.

Do we have a background for Tarkin, Solo, Chewie, Lando, Piett, etc.? No, aside from little blurbs here and there. If Lucas were to give a background for every character, we'd have movies released every year until we die. Why he chose Boba Fett, I don't know. Maybe he likes him.

Taichi
04-19-2002, 01:53 PM
Uhh, Vader captured Han and GAVE him to fett.....

don't presume to not know that.....

in addition, I've hated Boba Fett for years, NOT just recently......so that doesn't work either........

and I'm sure I can get some old time forumites to back me up on the fact that I always hated Fett......

so, for the record, All Fett did in the OT was die........Vader gave him Han...., and so yes, he is a "Do Nothing" throwaway character.....

Furthermore, Jabba was hunting Han......long before ESB.....This was evidenced by the appearance of Greedo (Who, unlike Fett, actually DID something........he shot first, AND died.....Fett just died)

He didn't care how he got him, as long as he was alive......

So, conceivably, even without Fett, Han's final run-in with Jabba was inevitable......

see, it's basic storytelling.......Fett being a throwaway character is inconsequential to the story.......Fett or no, Han still had to make a run in with his major antagonist, to pay the piper as it were, which was Jabba......not Vader.....and that Han didn't kill Jabba is also a shame (But that's another discussion for a different time)

Fett's role in this is small....almost nonexistant.......he was only the 'go between' of Vader's capture of Han, Who also actually had a small role in this part of the story, when you think about it, The only reason Vader tested the Carbonite on Han, was to ensure that it would not kill Luke......he had NO concern for Solo at all.......so, he was happy to GIVE him to Fett (Who did have a concern)

Vader could've just as easily given the bounty to Bossk, Dengar, 4-LOM, or any of the other inept boneheads he hired........and they would've "Done" just as much as Fett......and you know it!

the thing that makes those other Bounty Hunters better, is that they knew better than to show up again........after their fifteen seconds on the bridge of the Executor, they were never seen or heard from again.......but Fett hadda be all Spooky, and hang out with Jabba......

now he's dead.......serves him right!

Toad
04-19-2002, 01:57 PM
Boba Fett tracked Han to Bespin. Had he not done that, Vader wouldn't have been there to capture him, and then hand over to him to take to Jabba.

Don't presume to not know that. ;)

JetsAndHeels
04-19-2002, 02:00 PM
I can settle this once and for all....
Jango is the better Fett, because we all know he will be engaged in more combat and will be less of a stationary character. He will actually get involved in the movie and do something. He will actually show what his jetpack and other weapons do.
Therefore he is the better Fett.

Taichi
04-19-2002, 02:08 PM
Toad.......Fett may have tracked Han to Bespin, but Vader tracked Fett to Bespin......

and which is the more silent ship?, Slave 1 or the Falcon?

Slave 1......because it's designed as a Bounty ship from the start, the Falcon is a converted freighter, and probably makes noise sitting still........

so, Vader did all the work........and concievably, even if Fett is responsible in any way for Han's capture (And I don't think he is) It was Vader's decision to hire him in the first place, therefore Fett still didn't do anything.....

Vader knew Han hadn't gotten far.......so, Vader hired Bounty Hunters, and pretty much GAVE them the Millenium Falcon......

oh, and Jango's cool, because he's gonna do what Boba Fett didn't......ANYTHING!!!!!

Toad
04-19-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Taichi
so, Vader did all the work........and concievably, even if Fett is responsible in any way for Han's capture (And I don't think he is) It was Vader's decision to hire him in the first place, therefore Fett still didn't do anything.....

Based on your logic, if I pick up the phone and call a car mechanic to fix my car, and he works on it, and ultimately fixes the problem, I did all the work because I hired him, and he did nothing.

Interesting mindset, but I do think you may be incorrect. ;)

Jedi Clint
04-19-2002, 02:17 PM
I figured because the hyperdrive was damaged, Boba figured out where they were going and invited Vader and co. to meet them there.....for a price.

Taichi
04-19-2002, 02:25 PM
Well, since it doesn't make sense to you anyway, I'll muddy it up for ya a little more! :D

By the same logic, it wasn't Vader, but the Emperor who actually captured Han.....

however, that was NOT my logic......

my logic was that Vader simply used a TOOL (And what a tool he is too....he :D) to get what he wanted.....he wanted the Millenium Falcon.......He knew that if he had it, he had struck a crippling blow to the Alliance......

I think Vader knew full-well what the hell happened to that ship......it'd be stupid to think otherwise.......However, what's a little chase, a little side trip, and another world conquered along the way?

and the fact that Vader wanted to help out a few friends on the way (Jabba and Fett) didn't hurt either.......

now here's where I go into detail.....

I think Vader knew precisely where the Falcon was, what it was gonna do, and where it was going......

However, Vader also knew that Jabba wanted Solo......so he called his old 'friend' (They did come from the same planet), and had him send his 'boys' over......

Well, since it's now apparent that Vader and Fett have some sort of history, we know why he chose Fett for the Bounty.....so, he's not only helping out his 'friends', he's also making it look like they're doing all the work......which puts a little polish on their reputations......

So, Fett "Follows" Han to Bespin.......Vader already knows where they're going......as evidenced by the fact that he feels so 'at home' while he's there......

I know how I am when I go to a new place, I have that 'Golly, gee whiz' attitude, where i just gotta see everything.....but Vader is focused......because he's got a purpose......he's beating his quarry to the destination.......REMEMBER, the Empire gets there first........so, that leads me to believe that they KNEW where they were going......

So, now we have two people placated.....two people who are gonna get what they want (Fett and Jabba).......

But the condition is that two other people must get what they want (Vader wants Luke, the Emperor wants the rebellion crushed, that he takes control of a new world [bespin] is just icing on the cake)

so the trap is sprung on Bespin.......but it doesn't go according to planned, for the Rebels or the Empire.......

Vader DOESN'T get Luke....but it's too late to back out of the deal with Fett, because he ran like a dog with it's tail between it's legs (He effectively broke his end of the deal, no wonder he's dead)

Chewie, R2, Lando, Leia, and 3P0 escape........and eventually Luke joins them.......

so, here's what it boils down to......

Fett still does little to nothing, AND is now a coward........and Vader gets a lot more spit and polish to his ego, DESPITE his own failure........

Taichi
04-19-2002, 02:31 PM
I'm really just messing with you guys now......

I know how the story goes......I just don't care! :D

I just don't really understand why everybody is gaga for Boba Fett.......and this is my reasoning to justify my stance......be it flawed or not, it's (mostly) how I see it......

but, your ideas also make some sense......

so, I call for a truce.......unless you'd like to hear some more crazy conspiracy theories????

JetsAndHeels
04-19-2002, 02:56 PM
I dont see Boba Fett as a coward. I like him as a character, but I do agree that he didnt do very much in the OT. Uncle George will probably change that in EP3, but still he is a cool character.
Now I do think Jango is going to intervene more, even though he is only in the saga for a short time. However his role is similar to that of Qui Gon's, in that it is his job to set up part of the story, die, and let the saga evolve into what it is. That is Jango's role-help create the clone army, fight, train Boba, die, and then plant the seeds of his son's hatred for the Jedi. Circle of life.

Toad
04-19-2002, 03:03 PM
Truce it is! I do commend your theories, though!

Taichi
04-19-2002, 04:43 PM
Thanks, Toad....I like your Avatar!!!

oh, and yeah, I think Boba is gonna whack an important character (But telling would be spoiling)........so I'll just leave it at that......

Peace! :D

Wooooof
04-20-2002, 01:54 AM
Vader's "no disintegrations!" command to Boba Fett implied that these characters had a history. Add to that the incredible amount of work put into designing Boba's suit and I believe we all should have expected his story to be touched on in the prequels.

Of course, I always thought we'd see a giant battle between the Jedi and the Mandalore in the prequels. Unfortunately we will need a pre-prequel to see that.:mad: