PDA

View Full Version : I Can't believe we're getting over 30 figures!

Tycho
04-16-2002, 01:44 PM
I can't believe we are getting over 30 figures!

Episode One went down like this:

Qui-Gon
Ob-Wan
Anakin
Darth Maul
Padme
Queen
JarJar
Droid

Ric Olie
Darth Sidious
Palpatine
Watto
C-3PO

Ki-Adi Mundi
Mace Windu
Boss Nass
Chancellor Valorum
Gasgano / Pit Droid

Deluxe Maul
Deluxe Obi-Wan
Deluxe Qui-Gon

That's 18 basic and 3 Deluxe.

Compare with Episode 2:

Obi-Wan
Anakin
Padme
R2D2
C-3PO
Kit Fisto
Jango Fett (RH)
Super Droid

Tusken Female / Child
Typho
Boba Fett
Plo Koon
Battle Droid
Shaak-Ti

SaeSee Tiin
JarJar Binks
Geonosian Warrior
Nikto Jedi
Royal Guard
Dexter Jettster

Taun We
Luminara

And now there's rumors of Clone Trooper Seargeant (red), Zam Wessel, Yoda, Dooku etc. all being out.

Well, let's not count the rumors but we still have 4 deluxe:

Dooku
Mace
Obi-Wan
Jango

That's 26 figures already, plus we know of pilot Obi-Wan, pilot Padme, Palpatine, Orm Fre Taa, and more still coming!

What do you think is going to happen with sales of Star Wars?

Will there be more people collecting it for this movie?

What do you think stores will continuously stock and how easy or hard to you think it will be to get all these figures around maybe the end of May, early June - after the big promo, and the movie's been out?

Think new people will collect them? It will stay hotter than E1?

Or do you think the stores will have tons of Anakin Peasant and Padme Aerobicize, and little else?

Will stores order (or get sent) tons of Typho's case, only to have it sit while everyone's waiting for more Geonosians?

This is the biggest toy promotion ever! It tops Episode One by at least 5 figures, but it looks like the number might be more like 13 figures!

And originally, in 1977 there were no figures, and ANH got only 12 by about 9 months after the movie had been out.

ESB debuted with 11 figures in 1980 (as the first wave) if you count the Sneak Peek Fett.

ROTJ came out with 17 in 1983 (start of that year's promotion anyway).

As to the fact that all this E2 stuff will be out there - well I already have almost all of it. So it's going to ship!

Is this crazy or what?

Jargo
04-16-2002, 02:08 PM
I smell major pegwarmers in the first two waves. I see mild interest from kids for at least two months. I see stores backing down and dumping star wars once again to leave it open to the more collector oriented stores and comic stores. But then i live in the UK and that sucks big pants. :( TRU stinks and the other stores are cautios. Only ARGOS the catalog store here has any confidence but they have a weird way of selling stuff so I'm not impressed that they got such a huge deal with Hasbro. Woolworths won't stock much and then trash the stuff once the hype dies down. Star wars is technically dead here already. That's what hasbro gets for churning out crap.

Battle Droid
04-16-2002, 02:20 PM
Very crazy indeed, I can't afford half of those.

JEDIpartner
04-16-2002, 02:32 PM
I've been told that there are 24 basic and 4 deluxe figures due for every order in their "One of Every Figure" Club.

With one week to go, they have not made any changes. Anyone who ordered from them better be ready to get a truckload!

Bosskman
04-16-2002, 02:32 PM
I've been saving up for months for the onslaught of figures next week. My local Walmart jumped the gun on the first two waves and Slave I so I have them, and since I'm not getting the deluxe Jango, Obi and Dooku (I'll wait for the regular Dooku) here's what I'll be getting if (and I pray they do) Canadian Stores are getting the same as the states (which they did for TPM):

Saesee Tiin
JarJar Binks
Geonosian Warrior X2
Royal Guard X4
Luminara Unduli
Dexter Jettster
Taun We
Nikto Jedi
Deluke Mace
Reek
Jedi Starfighter
Zam's Speeder
Anakin's Speeder

Plus I plan on getting the novel, Soundtrack, and the 12 inch Clonetrooper and Anakin.

Hopefully all the stuff will come.

PS My new Spiderman figure has 31 points of articulation. I love it!

Jedikmg
04-16-2002, 02:57 PM
There might be more kid intrest with this movie more than Episode 1. Am i the only one that thought if Episode 1 hadn't come out the same time Pokemon was such a super big thing that toys might have sold a lil better with kids.

But yea i am really excited about all these figures.

Wolfwood319
04-16-2002, 03:02 PM
I expect major peg warmers for most of what we're getting on the 23rd. And I think stores will continue to order cases through May or June. And since there are multiple case breakdowns for each assortment, expect even numbers of figures. I expect everything up to and including Wave 3 of both collections to be easy to find through the summer months. After that, the pickin's will get slimmer. Although I don't think they'll reduce them to POTJ production numbers.

So, I think everything released throughout the summer months will be plentiful, then expect the amount produced to dwindle towards August and September.

My picks for pegwarmers are:

Anakin Peasant
Padme Arena
Captain Typho
Female Tusken

I think sales will be a little stronger to begin with, but then drop like with TPM. A lot of collectors are getting out of the game now, or not getting as much any more. Completeists are turning towards "I'll get one if I like the figure and open him."

With Spider-Man, Scorpion king, and it being the summer, I expect ZERO interest from kids though. Parents do seem to buy as many toys during the summer, as its more productive to buy them a super soaker, than $50 worth of action figures. Star Wars isn't as cool to kids with all the other things out there right now.

nonfatnonfat
04-16-2002, 03:38 PM
I don’t believe it.

How can Hasbro afford to flood the market with 30 figures on 1 day?!?! This doesn’t make sense. If this IS the truth, what will Hasbro’s lineup be for the 3rd quarter? 4th quarter? These figures may be shipping, but you have to remember that it takes about a month to arrive at retail stores from Hong Kong.

What fun is collecting if you can walk into a toy store on the 23rd and buy all 30+ figures? I think we’re actually looking at 2 waves of figures. Look at the case assortments posted at rebelscum.com.

I remember the initial shipment of Episode I figures arrived before the movie was released and the next wave followed AFTER the movie was released.

"Trust your feelings, Luke."

My gut feeling is that there will be about 24 3-3/4" figures and 4 3-3/4" deluxe figures available on April 23rd.
;)

DeadEye
04-16-2002, 04:02 PM
Well, here's some AOTC figures that desperately need to be made that I believe will come out later this year:

-Darth Sidious (Sifo-Dyas), non-holographic
-Obi-Wan Kenobi (Hangar Duel), with 2-handed lightsaber stance and/or cuts on arm and leg
-Nute Gunray (Trade Federation Viceroy), maybe with incinerating action as Jango sets him on fire :D
-Jango Fett (Kamino Apartment), in the blue pajamas
-Obi-Wan Kenobi (Kamino Battle), with the brown outer robe, 2-handed lightsaber stance, and wet-looking hair.
-Poggle the Lesser
-Padme had a whole bunch of different outfits...
-Count Dooku, a non-gimmick version
-Bail Organa (Alderaan Senator)

Plus, several figures are for sure coming out later this year, like Palpatine, Orn Free Taa, Padme (Pilot), and Obi-Wan Kenobi (Jedi Master...even though he's only a Knight),...and I'm sure there's several others that I'm forgetting...

Tycho
04-16-2002, 05:55 PM
Obi-Wan's a Master to Anakin at the very least.

But as far as there being more than 25 figures out in the stores by April 23, there might be.

I have 22 of those figures sitting in front of me right now.

Source: Wal*mart / K-mart. Those 22 figures do NOT include 4 Deluxe figures that I also have (from K-mart). So that's 26 figures at the least.

Tycho
04-16-2002, 06:30 PM
32 figures? How many could they throw at us?

1 Anakin
2 Padme
3 Obi-Wan
4 Super Droid
5 C-3PO
6 Jango
7 R2
8 Kit

9 Typho
10 Droid
11 Tusken
12 Boba
13 Plo Koon
14 Shaak Ti

15 JarJar
16 Dexter
17 SaeSee
18 Nikto
19 Geonosian
20 Royal Guard

21 Luminara
22 Taun We

---------------------------I have everything above this line - from Wal*Mart ---------------------

23 Jango Final Duel
24 Luke Bespin?
25 Vader?
26 Obi-Wan Pilot
27 Zam Wessel
28 Clone Trooper
29 Yoda
30 Mace
31 Dooku
32 Anakin Hanger

----------------------------all of this above this line has been seen carded already, and people are selling on Ebay, Comic Stores,

Most of them above have also been found in Wal*Mart, but I can't vouch for that personally ----------------------------------

33 Palpatine
34 Orm Free Taa
35 Massif
36 Han Solo
37 Chewbacca
38 Endor 1
39 Endor 2
40 Dejas Puhr
41 Ephont Mon
42 Deluxe Anakin (with Necklay beast)
43 Qui-Gon
44 Deluxe C-3PO (with BattleDroid)
45 Padme Pilot

---------------------------------------------------------Don't forget the Deluxe - found already at K-mart (below this line)------------------------

46 Dooku
47 Mace
48 Obi-Wan
49 Jango

DeadEye
04-16-2002, 06:34 PM
My goodness...in exactly one week, the cash in my wallet shall be replaced with moths. :D

Jargo
04-16-2002, 06:37 PM
Shouldn't that read:

Endor rebel #1
Endor rebel #2

BTW, It's The Nexu not the necklay (Thinking of the Acklay perhaps?) and it'll probably come with a Padme figure seeing as she is the one attacked by it as seen in the trailer. She's the one who gets to play with the big kittycat :) And it'd be a way of getting a Padme out for the collectors instead of the arena version which is intended for the kids. But maybe they'll shove out one more Anakin instead BOOOO! :( hope it's a decent Padders though, One that doesn't look like a guy in drag.

Ephant mon isn't due 'til July along with Teemto Pagalies and scavenger droid.

NesteaFett
04-16-2002, 06:42 PM
Here's all the figures that I have now. These were all bought from Wal-Mart in the boxes marked for the 23rd. This is the definitive list. If I don't have it I doubt it will be out. Ok here it is:

(Mind that these are in no order. Just how I turn my head to look at them)

Nikto Jedi
Shaak Ti
Boba Fett
Cpt. Typho
Padme
Kamino Escape Jango Fett
C-3PO
Tusken Female
Outland Peasant Anakin
Battle Droid
Kit Fisto
Saesee Tiin
Plo Koon
Zam Wessell
Super Battle Droid
Clonetrooper Red
Taun We
Luminara Unduli
Royal Guard
Obi-Wan Kenobi Coruscant Chase
Count Dooku Dark Lord
Anakin Hangar Duel
Yoda
Jar Jar Binks Senator
Dexter Jettster
R2-D2
Geonosian Warrior

That's 27 figures. From what I hear that's what people claim is the definite number. I'll be keeping an eye on pallets at Wal-Mart every night. Also in my collection are the 4 deluxe figures, Slave 1, Jedi Starfighter, and both Coruscant Speeders. I've been busy and paid retail for all. I've also opened them all so if you want to know how they are you can ask. Ok, that's my $50.

DeadEye
04-16-2002, 06:51 PM
Hey, don't forget Mace Windu Geonosian Rescue.

Beast
04-16-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
Hey, don't forget Mace Windu Geonosian Rescue.
I don't think that he's gonna be avaliable on the 23rd. I know that he is coming soon, but if he was going to be out there, he would have been found alongside Dooku. But knowing how Hasbro is rushing them out, we will probably see Mace, Jango, Luke and Vader well before May 16th. I definatly worry about the end of the year, or even the fall. Looks like we will only be getting 3-5 figures a month after May.

And Tycho, if you count the Episode 1 Battle Droid varient figures as seperate figures, that raises the E1 release count to 24. Not to mention there were figures packed in with the Kaadu and Opee. If those were included in the count, that brings the total to 26. And then the figures from the Podracers add another 2, making it 28. So we pretty much are getting the same ammount of figures, just this time no vehicle pack-ins. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
04-16-2002, 07:06 PM
Any news on the brown battle droid? I'm really hoping that makes it's way out sometime. the cream one is really dull looking but the brown one is in the movie so........ maybe I'm just dreaming too much but that brown battle droid would be worth having because it's different. Makes the droid look better somehow........ :(

Unit-01
04-16-2002, 07:11 PM
Who's that in your avatar EMPEROR JARGO?

Jedi_Rainman
04-16-2002, 08:36 PM
27 actually...but most might only find the first 24

LTBasker
04-16-2002, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Any news on the brown battle droid? I'm really hoping that makes it's way out sometime. the cream one is really dull looking but the brown one is in the movie so........ maybe I'm just dreaming too much but that brown battle droid would be worth having because it's different. Makes the droid look better somehow........ :(

Both Battle Droid variants should be there I'd guess. We should have background/no background to choose from with around 12 figures:

Anakin (Peasant)
Padme
C-3PO
Super Battle Droid
R2-D2
Kit Fisto
Jango Fett
Obi-Wan
Battle Droid
Plo Koon
Geonosian Warrior
Dexter Jettster
And maybe Boba Fett, I've only seen one non-background Boba on ebay and I think I saw a non-background Shaak Ti too, so 12-14 figures should background/no background variants on the 23rd. If I remember correctly the brown battle droid was either the background or no background version, right? It should be there.

Tycho
04-17-2002, 12:35 AM
Nestea Fett's done even better than I did.

It seems like maybe the 4 figures you are missing (that have supposedly been on E-bay already are ones nobody commonly has right now:

Obi-Wan Pilot
Mace Windu
Jango Final Battle
and something I forgot...

Vader and Luke would make up the 5 (plus your 27) to equal 32.

What is it that you are missing off my first 32? I'm tired and can't figure this out! Bugging me....

Anyway, these 5 will be the most rare, then work your way backwards up my list from #27 up, and those will be the harder to finds towards the numbers in the high 20's on the list (not Hasbro's corresponding numbers for the figures, please note)

Tycho
04-17-2002, 12:40 AM
Oh, EMPEROR JARGO: great idea about the Nexu Beast but I remember reading on a figure list that another Anakin comes with the Nexu. I believe it is a deluxe figure. This is bigger than the Mastiff that comes carded with a Geonosian. So the Nexu is almost a beast assortment in the traditional sense, though my friend has the Reek, and it comes in a box about a little larger than the Jabba / 2 header, or Opee Sea Killers but with no pack-in. The Nexu is actually shown in Toy Fair pics - I'll post it below anyway - but the Anakin it comes with isn't shown yet.

Finally Jargo, I wished you'd worked out the list for Hasbro, as Padme (a different Arena version) would have been a perfect choice! We're bound to get more than the 3 Anakin's planned.

Tycho
04-17-2002, 12:42 AM
This is the Geonosian with Mastiff for comparison:

paingame
04-17-2002, 03:38 AM
In the Wal-Mart that I work at, All wave 3 boxes (both Collections 1 + 2) have a ratio number on them ranging from 1 to 4. I don't know what this means - maybe the same figures but different amounts of each.

I don't think there will be a problem finding figures on 4/23. Wal-Mart will be having Star Wars figures in their ad for May. Our store got in a whole skid of just figures and our store doesn't have alot of Star Wars traffic through it. For example, it took us two weeks to sell one case of jedi starfighters.

Jargo
04-17-2002, 06:31 AM
Well, it's confirmed that Anakin comes as a deluxe with a geonosian not the Nexu so it must be Padme instead. I'm not impressed by the the deluxe anakin at all stupid gimmick button in his back for 'slashing' action and a pained mouth open head sculpt like mace.
mace is set for release in may/June according to new reports at rebelscum. he's with jango final battle and vader and luke. vader and Luke have the same stupid slashing action and unfortunately they ruined Mace the same way. I'm not a happy bunny right now....

The avatar is Dr. X from the Action Man range. (same as G.I. JOE but more British in origin) Can't stand Action Man but liked the look of Dr. X. Suited my mood. He's part of the DOOM consortium apparently and that's what I forsee with the star wars range if these gimmicks continue through the rest of the year. I hear the death knell sounding in the distance....

pthfnder89
04-17-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
I think sales will be a little stronger to begin with, but then drop like with TPM. A lot of collectors are getting out of the game now, or not getting as much any more. Completeists are turning towards "I'll get one if I like the figure and open him."

With Spider-Man, Scorpion king, and it being the summer, I expect ZERO interest from kids though. Parents do seem to buy as many toys during the summer, as its more productive to buy them a super soaker, than $50 worth of action figures. Star Wars isn't as cool to kids with all the other things out there right now.

You're right about lots of disallusioned collectors out there, but I think you're wrong about the kids Wolfwood. Spiderman will definitely be a big thing this summer, but the Scorpion King is nothing. Even if the movie succeeds, there really isn't a toy line to detract from Star Wars. There are only four ****poor figures (although they are LEAGUES better than the AWFUL Mummy figures)

It seems like there isn't as much interest from the public in AOTC because they aren't pulling the same marketing blitzkrieg that they did with The Phantom Menace. But that's really a good thing because hopefully AOTC will be able to stand on its own merits as a movie, and not be judged by the huge marketing campaign.

And thankfully it looks like AOTC will actually be a good movie:)