PDA

View Full Version : No Lightsabers after ROTJ?

icatch9
04-17-2002, 10:48 AM
After ROTJ are there any Lightsabers left? Think about it. Vader takes Obi Wan’s from their dual on the first death star. Luke loses his at Bespin, and then throws his green one away after he defeats Vader on the Second Death Star. He doesn’t go back to get it either, I mean when he is dragging Vader to the shuttle, it is not hanging on his belt. I know in the EU this subject has been touched on, but as far as the movies are concerned it doesn’t seem that there are any Lightsabers after ROTJ.

What do you guys think?

Darkross
04-17-2002, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by icatch9
After ROTJ are there any Lightsabers left? Think about it. Vader takes Obi Wan’s from their dual on the first death star. Luke loses his at Bespin, and then throws his green one away after he defeats Vader on the Second Death Star. He doesn’t go back to get it either, I mean when he is dragging Vader to the shuttle, it is not hanging on his belt. I know in the EU this subject has been touched on, but as far as the movies are concerned it doesn’t seem that there are any Lightsabers after ROTJ.

What do you guys think?

Well maybe it's just me or yet another editing flaw in ROTJ...but Luke is wearing his lightsaber hilt when he arrives at the ewok village. Needless to say, even if he didn't have it after ROTJ, it's part of a Jedi's training to build their own lightsaber...so I don't think that just because Luke wasn't wearing it after his battle with Vader in ROTJ, that he abandoned the weapon all together.

icatch9
04-17-2002, 02:17 PM
Well, of course he would make another one. Your point that he is wearing at the Ewok celebration is a good one. I never noticed that befor. It that is the case then he must have gotten it back, and it was just a simple edititng flaw.

Darkross
04-17-2002, 02:19 PM
Well, of course he would make another one. Your point that he is wearing at the Ewok celebration is a good one. I never noticed that befor. It that is the case then he must have gotten it back, and it was just a simple edititng flaw.

I know that I wouldn't have left that beautiful green lightsaber behind!

icatch9
04-17-2002, 03:19 PM
I agree there is something about that color. Not even Qui-Gon's saber is that pure of a green.

Darkross
04-17-2002, 04:12 PM
I agree there is something about that color. Not even Qui-Gon's saber is that pure of a green.

My favorite Lightsaber scene in ROTJ is when Luke is deflecting the laser bolts from the speederbike. I love that green saber! It looks so cool against the forest backdrop! I'm really glad that ILM went with green instead of blue like they originally intended. They felt that the green looked better against the sandy backdrop of Tatooine.

LTBasker
04-17-2002, 04:36 PM
Well, it would be logical to assume that he had it in the shuttle before hand. Think about it, if you were Imperials who were getting a shuttle ready for take off, would you abandon it? Obviously Luke went ahead and got the shuttle ready and so he probably put his lightsaber inside there before hand and then went back and got Vader. Or maybe he just force threw the Imps in the shuttle out the airlock, either way he would've had a chance to place his lightsaber in the shuttle before. I doubt they just leave those shuttles open and ready to take-off when unattended.