PDA

View Full Version : Watto, Anakin's Father Figure?

icatch9
04-17-2002, 09:57 AM
It is clear that Anakin doesn't have a father. He is a child of the force, but what about Watto? I think that Watto is a father figure for Anakin. Also, Watto feels very strongly towards Anakin. Or Watto feels that Ani is his son. Not is the literal sicne, but in the adoptive since.

Think about it, Watto says that Qui-Gon can't have the boy after the race. We assume tha this is becasue it was unfair, and Watto doesn't like to lose. What if it was for another reason? What if it was becasue he would miss him and he didn't want Ani to go becasue he loved him like a son?

Now I don't read spoilers, so if this is something that comes up in AOTC please keep it to yourself.

So baring that, what do you think?

2-1B
04-17-2002, 12:39 PM
The only reason Watto wants to keep Anakin is because the Toydarian is greedy and Anakin can make money for him.

Lobito
04-17-2002, 01:30 PM
We all know Watto is greedy, but in the other hand, he shows no abuse towards him. Take the scene where Watto tells Ani that after he finishes cleaning he can go home. We'll have to wait for AOTC to see if we get more info in this subject.

187-Maul
04-17-2002, 06:55 PM
watto is gready and only wants the money he can spare with having a slave but he also says that ani is a good kid and he has faith in him (but sebulba is going to win...) so I guess he likes ani but not THAT much (in father-seen way)

2-1B
04-18-2002, 01:23 AM
Lobito, Watto does abuse Anakin by making him race. He puts his life in danger to make money. Ask Shmi, she'll tell ya! :D

icatch9
04-18-2002, 08:27 AM
Caesar, I think you need to watch TPM again. Ani love raceing. He says so himself. Plus, Shmi says that Watto won't let him race. So I must call you on this one, and say that you've made a mistake.

I realize that it is never said in the movie that Watto likes or loves Ani, but if you watch the movie and have in your mind that Watto loves Ani is some way you can see that it is possible. Watto may seem like a hardass, but I bet he's just a big softie.

2-1B
04-18-2002, 12:49 PM
Shmi says, "I die every time Watto makes you do it." Sure Anakin loves it, he's good at it and has fun! But he's a 9 year old kid, not too concerned with the risks.

If Watto were so caring, he wouldn't let Anakin go without his mother. What kind of a "softie" keeps a boy's mother as a slave?

icatch9
04-18-2002, 01:17 PM
Good points. You must understand that this is not so cut and dry. Not exactly black and white. It's not like Watto is going to take Ani and a picnic and play catch with him. My point was that in some since, in some matter, Watto cares for Ani more than just a slave. More than just an object that can make him money.

LTBasker
04-18-2002, 01:57 PM
I dunno, it seems to me that Watto knows Anakin is special, probably because like Ani said; he's "so good at building things." And even though Anakin is probably one of Watto's treasured slaves because he can bring in more profit, he seems to have much free will.

saladin
04-18-2002, 04:04 PM
I think Watto has more of a older brother feeling. He wants to protect the boy but he also gives a hard toime like an older brother. What older brother hasn't put his brother in a dangeous situation but will always stick up for him