PDA

View Full Version : Wait

waboritas
04-17-2002, 10:57 AM
Why spend $500 on the new figures etc. when in 4-5 months they will be available for $1.99?

pthfnder89
04-17-2002, 11:06 AM
Um... because I want them now? ;)

Seriously though, why else? It's not true that every one of the AOTC figures will be sitting on the shelves on clearance in 6 months. Only the pegwarmers will be there and everyone will either most likely already have those or not want them anyway.

But even if they were all going to be on clearance in 6 months, that's still NOVEMBER! The movie will probably be out on DVD by then. I've already waited a year, I don't want to wait another half a year.

brentfett
04-17-2002, 11:33 AM
I've grappled with this before and I think it just boils down to being impatient. It may not be 4 or 5 months from now, but I have absolutely no doubt in my mind you could pick up EVERY SINGLE FIGURE BEING RELEASED ON THE 23RD in a clearance bin eventually. Episode 1 was a perfect example of this.

waboritas
04-17-2002, 01:33 PM
I was ****ed in '99 when I spent $300 at Midnight Madness and Shop.starwars.com was giving them away at the end of the year. These are not going to be hard to get like POTJ. They are going to be mass produced. Look at Darth Maul 3 years ago. He got gobbled up the first month and then became a "peg warmer." Have fun playing with the $6 figs. I'll buy the $2 ones. They are just going to collect dust until my kids are reeady for them anyways.

he-ro
04-17-2002, 01:39 PM
I am impatient!

icatch9
04-17-2002, 02:11 PM
It's a gamble either way. True TPM toys sat around for a very long time, and then we could find most of the for $2.00. That was then this is now. I mean what if they never do make it down to $2.00, then what. You'll be ****ed that you missed them. Plus, you'll have to buy them on the secondary market and that will cost you a buttload. I'd say you have until mid-July until these things may not be found. The first couple of months they will be everywhere. From TRU to your local supermarket. After the first buzz wears off, then they may be a bit scarce. But I dobut it. After all it is Hasbro we're talking about here. They probally still have vintage figures sitting in a whearhouse somewhere.

aharry
04-17-2002, 02:44 PM
I waited before and ended up paying more in the end. Think about that figure you passed up one day because you thought you would be able to get it later only to get it later at an inflated price. Granted there will be peg warmers and there will be discounts but you never know when something will disappear for good. I paid $8 for an Ishi Tib I could have got for $5 but thought he would always be warming the peg and he did for awhile until I was ready to buy him. With Hasbro's erratic behavior, they may actually not make too many copies of one figure this time around. I'm sure they lost money with all the Quis, Mauls, etc. that plagued pegs forever. You would think that may wake them up. $5.88 seems reasonable to me and if I can get them in one shot, I'm willing to go to midnight madness and save myself some time hunting them down later.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-17-2002, 03:45 PM
Why not just buy the figures on 4/23, then don't take them out of the package for awhile if you plan on eventually opening your stuff. When they go on clearance, get them, then take back the more expensive stuff. WM will let you as long as the merchandise is in good shape and you have a receipt.

For example, I bought a Bacta Luke when it first came out last November. I found it on clearance at a WM for $3 in March, but because I still had in the package and had the receipt I could take it back without being hassled.

Target and KMart are sticklers about bringing stuff back within 3 months, but I think WM is a lot more lax about their policy as long as you have the receipt and the stuff isn't mangled.

jedi master sal
04-17-2002, 04:13 PM
WM's policy may soon be changing on the return of toys. Especially collector type toys such as SW and HotWheels.

During my frustration with trying to get the snowspeeder and tie bomber I overheard the assistant manager talking about how they would not receive more than 3 of any one particuar line at a time for return. So for those of you who think you'll be able to return them good luck. maybe a few but after they mark up your receipt you'll have a hard time returning more from it (if your trying to use the same receipt). Beware, they are on the look-out. And they think most of us adults are of the scalping variety. Even if your not and say so, you'll have a hard time convicing them and they'll think your even more pathetic than they already do. I told them that I would gladly show them pictures of my collection for proof of my sincerity but that didn't seem to make a difference. Again, GOOD LUCK. If you wait you may miss out or not. That is a gamble I for one am not willing to make. I do have to count myselves as one of the lucky ones now as I have a good job that affords me the opportunity of buying all that I want on the 23rd. (I plan on spending approx. $450) This will more than likely flucuate as I peruse the picture archive on the sight and try to determine which ones I truly want, ones that may become pegwarmers, and others that I will simply buy to help with dioramas.

Amanamike
04-18-2002, 01:36 AM
Well I will buy them ASAP because.....

1: Im impatient to, would cause to many sleepless nights.

2: if we all wait till they become $2.00 then why would Hasbro make any more or why would stores want to stock them in the first place?? Its because of us impatient ones that you hold outs get them so cheap. If figs all sat on shelves for 6 months waiting to be reduced then I dont know a business on this continent that likes to sell things for cost. So keep the business going by buying a few while they are regular priced.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-18-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Amanamike
Well I will buy them ASAP because.....
\2: if we all wait till they become $2.00 then why would Hasbro make any more or why would stores want to stock them in the first place?? Its because of us impatient ones that you hold outs get them so cheap. If figs all sat on shelves for 6 months waiting to be reduced then I dont know a business on this continent that likes to sell things for cost. So keep the business going by buying a few while they are regular priced.

My POV is this: most people are going to want to get them on 4/23 or soon after and will either open them or just put them in their collection being carded and that will be that. A few, either out of necessesity or just plain frugality, will buy them when they go on sale/clearance or will get them at full price but keeping it in the back of their heads to watch when they do get reduced in price.

I've bought so much stuff at regular retail price but taken it back later after finding stuff on clearance. It saves me $ so I can just buy more later on. For example, I got the Amanaman and Leia deluxe figures back in March or Feb for $10 each at KMart. Yesterday I found them at KB for $7 each. Whenever I need to go back to KMart I'll just take them back. Target is also putting them on clearance and hopefully they'll go down below $7.90. If I can find some, I'll take back the KMart ones and get them at Target for even cheaper. It works well for me because I tend to not open my stuff, I keep the receipts, and all the stores are withing 10 min. from my house and I frequent them about once a week.

You can either just get them and care less about the bottom line or you can be a little more pro active or just flat out patient until clearance happens.

stillakid
04-18-2002, 12:46 PM
I usually get them (but not build armies right away) when I first see them because there's no telling which of the figures will be left sitting around when the new waves hit. It's just too dicey. You might save money in the long run, but for those items that you miss, you may blow all those savings having to pay some scalper in order to obtain it a year later.