PDA

View Full Version : Jar Jar Saves the Universe! No this is for real!

icatch9
04-17-2002, 10:08 AM
Most everyone hates Jar Jar. Thatís a sad, but true fact. Your ideas about him may change after you read this.

Without Jar Jar the Star Wars Universe would not be the same. There would be no Luke and Leia. There would be Darth Vader. If you watch TPM when R2 makes his debut you see him bump into Jar Jar right before he goes up the elevator to fix the Queens ship. He runs right into Jar Jar, which in turn delays R2 ability to get to the elevator. If R2 would not have bumped into Jar Jar he would have been blasted by a laser bolt that flies right past his head when he reaches the top of the ship. So, Jar Jar saved R2 life, who in turn save the lives of everyone aboard the Queens ship. Not to mention all the import stuff that R2 may do in episode 2 and 3, plus we know how important he was to Luke and Leia and Han.

So as you know see, the universe would be different without Jar Jar. So we should all thank our lucky star for him. Even if he is a bumbling idiot.

BanthaPoodoo
04-17-2002, 11:01 AM
And without Jar Jar we wouldnt have..... oh wait....... thats a spoiler so I better not put it here! LOL

Starfig873
04-17-2002, 11:34 AM
Ah, but what if, rather, R2-B1 hadn't been blown up....and later downloaded his conciousness into the Queens ship. Then what? Hm? Ol' R2'd be in trouble then, wouldn't he?

:)

icatch9
04-17-2002, 01:15 PM
Um, I am not sure what that means, but it didn't really happen in the movie. R2 bumping into Jar Jar did....so I don't see the relationship hear.

SithDroid
04-17-2002, 05:09 PM
Well, I refuse to give ANY credit to Jar Jar. A character that is poorly written and is extremely annoying that has IMO no redeeming qualities to him, does not deserve any sort of praise. The only reason Jar Jar bumped into him was so that Jar Jar could apologize to the droid, hereby INTRODUCING R2-D2 into the prequel. That is the first glimpse we get of R2, so that is why that was added. No other reason.

Lone Jedi
04-17-2002, 09:18 PM
There was only one justifiable reason for JJB being in TPM. He was the one who brought the Naboo and Gungans together (none of the Naboo knew where the Gungan Sacred Place was). Without the Gungans' help, the Federation would not have been defeated. Yeah yeah, Anakin blew up the control ship, but if the gungans hadn't drawn away the droid army, the Naboo never would've gotten their N-1's out of the hangar.

Bottom line: the charcter of JJB was necessary in TPM, but his characterization was not (i.e., he didn't have to be portrayed as an overly-clumsy oaf).

SithDroid
04-17-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Lone Jedi
There was only one justifiable reason for JJB being in TPM. He was the one who brought the Naboo and Gungans together (none of the Naboo knew where the Gungan Sacred Place was). Without the Gungans' help, the Federation would not have been defeated. Yeah yeah, Anakin blew up the control ship, but if the gungans hadn't drawn away the droid army, the Naboo never would've gotten their N-1's out of the hangar.

Bottom line: the charcter of JJB was necessary in TPM, but his characterization was not (i.e., he didn't have to be portrayed as an overly-clumsy oaf).

I agree that the character was needed for the plot line, but the way the character was portrayed should have been handled differently. I honestly can't believe that ALL of the people who worked on TPM thought that Jar Jar was a great character and would be a huge fan favorite. Sometimes I wish people would speak up to GL, but I think that they keep quite so they don't lose their job.

2-1B
04-18-2002, 01:10 AM
I like Jar Jar. I don't always like the way they use him, but I think the character is cool. :cool:

Lone Jedi
04-18-2002, 01:37 AM
SithDroid, you've emphasized my point with more clarity, thanks. I *thought* I read somewhere that several of the ILM crew DID NOT like JJB, including some of the guys who brought him to "life."

icatch9
04-18-2002, 08:21 AM
Jar Jar is more than just an poorly written character. He represents so much more. Think about it, he was an outcast to his society. No one liked him, including the Jedi. But, in the face of all that he over came and became a Bomb Bad General. He is one of the characters that George Lucas loves to showcase. How someone so lowsome and insignificant can change the course of the future. Sure, my example of him bumping into R2 is one good one, but Jar Jar is bigger than that. He is what Star Wars is all about. Wich is the little guy being able to defeat the big battle hardened bad guy. I think everyone has been Jar Jar at least once in thier lives. In the since that they have felt like an outcast, and he shows that you can over come that to do great things.
Sure everyone would have been happier if they would have just used Wookies, but that would have been silly. I bet Wookies can't even swim.

SithDroid
04-18-2002, 02:29 PM
I understand the parallel that GL was going for with the character. However, most of the business surrounding Jar Jar is too childlike. Examples include, him freakin out in the Sub, stepping in poop, getting f*rted on, getting his hand stuck in the podracer and gettig his lips numbed by the energy beams, getting kicked in the crotch by the Pit Droid, using his tongue to get some fruit, balancing a bunch of Wattos merchandise and then falling down, stealing the food from the vendor, getting happy when they are on the way back to Naboo, defeating Battle Droids in the battle through "pure coincidence," running and hiding during battle, juggling the blue ball, etc.... The list goes on and on. Jar Jar IMO was just too childish and didn't quite belong in the story. Now GL could have gotten his point across without having to use these "kiddy" devices. I swear that most of the stuff Jar Jar does is aimed at the mentality of 5 year olds. When I was a child and saw the OT in the theatres, I didn't need stupid "f*rt" jokes or CGI effects to help me enjoy the story. I could go on and on about this, but I choose to stop here because I've already made my point in countless other threads.

icatch9
04-18-2002, 03:45 PM
Well it's clear that you have put a lot of thought into this. Your points are good. I agree that some things that he did are childish, and low brow jokes. I was not contesting the quality of the character. My point was a simple split second delay of R2 by Jar Jar changed the Universe. I don't care about how silly or stupid he is. He still delayed R2, that's all.

SithDroid
04-18-2002, 07:25 PM
Yeah and if Jar Jar hadn't bumped him I'm sure that the laser blast that flew past him wouldn't have been changed by ILM. I seriously doubt they'd let R2-D2 get blown up.

Lone Jedi
04-18-2002, 08:56 PM
Yeah, only the Dark Lord Himself and one lucky punk stormtrooper will have the honor of shooting R2 later on. :D

chewie
04-19-2002, 02:17 AM
Jar Jar saved the universe? Well last time I checked, he wasn't in the original trilogy, in which the republic had been totally taken over by Palpatine. Sounds like he messed up big time. Of course, who knows what George has in store for the OT when he gets around to re-redoing it for the dvd release... We could very well see a middle aged Jar Jar fighting with Grand Moff Tarkin before all is said and done.

187-Maul
04-19-2002, 08:10 AM
sithdroid, no offense but you have to see the movie like something REAL happened and not like something by humans created so if you see it likesomething real jarjar did safe the queen (although maybe something other had happened and the queen could have survived and the story would be totally different)

icatch9
04-19-2002, 08:40 AM
Thank you 187-Maul, I am glad that you see the point hear. Obviously GL isnít going to kill off R2 in the first movie (he out lasts all of them), but it doesnít mean that he wonít have a few close calls. Of course Jar Jar wasn't in the OT, but neither was the Queen. It's like a trail. It is a trail that I have realized while watching the movie. It's just my opinion and you don't have to agree. Hear is the trail.

Jar Jar stops R2 for a brief moment. R2 just misses getting blown away. R2 repairs the Queens ship. The Queen survives. A lot of stuff happens then she gives birth to Luke who blows up the Death Star and eventually defeats the Dark Side. Then again, if the Queen and her clan had been destroyed by the TF and never landed on Tatooine and found Aniken, then the whole mess would be different.

So you can see how vital Jar Jar is. Weather you agree is meaningless. Jar Jar being stupid is not at question, just try to take your hate of Jar Jar out of your opinion, and then think of this as a likely possibility.

SithDroid
04-19-2002, 11:58 AM
Yeah, but who's to say that the ship wouldn't have survived had R2 not fixed the shields. It is entirely possible that they could still have escaped.

This is a movie people. You can say whatever you want about Jar Jar, but I will always HATE him. I refuse to give him any credit. I hardly doubt GL said to ILM, "Hey can you put a laser blast flying right past where R2 is supposed to come up. Jar Jar bumps him inside and I want everyone to know that Jar Jar saved his life by delaying him a second or two." Come on people, get real.

icatch9
04-19-2002, 01:20 PM
You can disagree if you want. But the facts are the facts. R2 bumps into Jar Jar, and a bolt flies by where R2 would have been if he had not bumped into Jar Jar. It's very simple. Sure the rest is a what if, but your hate for Jar Jar is clouding your mind. I am not looking to give Jar Jar any credit, its just one of those things that pops up in a movie that no one really notices.

Would it be so hard to believe that the whole scene was done on purpose? You donít know and I donít know, so theoretically it is possible. And this whole thread is just a theory based on some facts. Theories are just what they are until they are proved or disproved.

187-Maul
04-19-2002, 06:37 PM
you don;t have to see at it what lucas thought but what happens in the story which is supposed to be a REAL story
but of course you can say stuff liek that all the time (when that guy hadn't said that, his reaction would have been different and would have influenced the hole story)
but of course you can hate somebody who kinda saved the universe, sithdroid: I hate all those commanders of the rebels and imperials who affect the hole story, too

Starfig873
04-20-2002, 06:25 PM
Um, I am not sure what that means, but it didn't really happen in the movie. R2 bumping into Jar Jar did....so I don't see the relationship hear.

Relationship? Relationship? Well, to be quite honest I had no intent on creating a relationship. :) I was in truth mocking the IG-88 story where he "becomes" the Death Star II. :cool:

Wooooof
04-20-2002, 06:47 PM
Frankly, I'm much more bothered by the obsessive hatred of Jar Jar than anything Jar Jar did in the film. There was nothing about the character to generate so much anymosity from a sane well-adjusted person.mustkill I for one mustkill don't get why anymustkillbody hates him so much mustkill. In fact mustkill, Jar Jar was one of mustkill my favorite characters.mustkill

icatch9
04-21-2002, 12:16 AM
I am glad this forum turned into a Jar Jar b*tch fest. That was my intention. NOT!

So, if you disagree with my theory that is fine, but please start your own Jar Jar Hatered Society somewhere else. I do not like all the bad feelings.

Thank You.

corporal AMF
04-21-2002, 12:50 AM
Ok that's how it goes...:

Jar JAr stops R2, R2 saves the hopeless ship, they get to tatooine and found Ani (the one who will hunt down the jedi)dd

Jar Jar is representative of the gungans in the senate...He's used to give Palpy emergency powers, so JarJar seals the fate of the republic:dead:

Jar Jar was must be blasted a necessary character with a short imagination personification,must be blasted, the guys on ILM made him so real (their job was ver good, that you really are convinced that he was stupid must be blasted...of course uncle Jorg Sacul give him a bunch of bad jokes stolen from the naked gun or spy hard must be blasted, maybe leslie nielsen should have portraited must be blastedJar Jar:confused:

corporal AMF
04-21-2002, 12:52 AM
The Dark Side clouds everything.....JarJar must have been in the Coruscant Electric Company

bigbarada
04-21-2002, 01:09 AM
I for one really liked Jar Jar and I am not ashamed to say that he was one of my favorite characters from TPM and with how his character develops in AOTC, he is becoming one of my favorite characters in the entire saga.

A lot of work went into creating that character and a lot of people believed in him at ILM or else he never would have come together as well as he did. So if you don't like him, fine; but try not to ridicule those who do. It's childish.

Beast
04-21-2002, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
I for one really liked Jar Jar and I am not ashamed to say that he was one of my favorite characters from TPM and with how his character develops in AOTC, he is becoming one of my favorite characters in the entire saga.

A lot of work went into creating that character and a lot of people believed in him at ILM or else he never would have come together as well as he did. So if you don't like him, fine; but try not to ridicule those who do. It's childish.
I bow to you Dark Master BigB for being big enough to admit you actually liked Jar Jar as well. He was one of my favorite E1 charecters as well, and I am glad that he got a decent figure finally in the POTJ line. As I have said from the beginning, he was an innocent, a clumsy teenager that changed the course of events numerous times in E1. And now, in E2 he really shines. And if many of our ideas about E3 pan out, he will finally get the respect he deserves. :D

It's really nice to see that not everyone hates him. :) I'm glad that I'm not the only one supporting the Binksmeister. It's nice to know that some of us understand Jar Jar's importance to the prequels as well as the entire saga. Of course, alot of the OT fans can't enjoy the prequels at all, since they are so stuck in the mindset that the OT is the best, and everything else in their opinion sucks. They can't stand change, take a look at all the complaints about the new saga figures. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

icatch9
04-22-2002, 11:15 AM
Cheers to Both Big B and Jar Jar! I am glad that I finally found someone to agree with me. I don't do spoilers, but from what you say it sounds like Jar Jar becomes even more important. I am glad to hear that (but please don't elaberate becasue I am trying to stay spoiler free until the movie). I also agree that some are attached to the past to much. I love the OT, and it will always be my favorite. I do truley appreciate the new movies and realize thier importance as much as the OT.

bigbarada
04-25-2002, 01:25 AM
I think Jar Jar admirers will find the events in Ep2 kind of tragic. The Jar Jar haters might feel vindicated. Hope that doesn't ruin anything for you, and if you really want to stay Jar Jar spoiler free, then do not, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTSNCES, read the back of his Ep2 action figure card. It's bad juju.:)

Beast
04-25-2002, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
I think Jar Jar admirers will find the events in Ep2 kind of tragic. The Jar Jar haters might feel vindicated. Hope that doesn't ruin anything for you, and if you really want to stay Jar Jar spoiler free, then do not, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTSNCES, read the back of his Ep2 action figure card. It's bad juju.:)
Aye, I dunno how to take it exactly BigB, in a way I like the idea of Jar Jar's involvment in E2. I don't think us talking in vague ways about what happens in E2 is gonna spoil anything. As long as we stay vague. :) But I think that he will be redeemed in E3, for his charecter in E1 and what happens in E2. Maybe some of the Jar Jar haters will actually feel bad once E3 plays out his story. All will be revealed in 3+ years. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
04-27-2002, 01:18 AM
I really like Jar Jar but I doubt people who hate him in TPM will ever feel badly for him. Probably just ridicule him more as "proof" of what a dumb character he was. I think the most compassion we'll hear is that "at least he wasn't as bad as in TPM."

I've accepted that, it's alright - I'll still love him. :D

Beast
04-27-2002, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
I really like Jar Jar but I doubt people who hate him in TPM will ever feel badly for him. Probably just ridicule him more as "proof" of what a dumb character he was. I think the most compassion we'll hear is that "at least he wasn't as bad as in TPM."

I've accepted that, it's alright - I'll still love him. :D
Awww shucks Caesar, I love you also....wait, you are talking about me, right?

Right Caesar? :D Sorry Caesar, couldn't help myself. :crazed:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
04-27-2002, 02:32 AM
Well, at least after Ep2 people will have a reason to hate him. Just like those guys who haven't forgiven Billy Dee Williams for betraying Han Solo.:rolleyes:

Honestly, all pu$$y-footing aside, I think people who hate Jar Jar simply take SW and themselves way too seriously. He's an image on celluloid, if you are going to hate something at least make it real. How about Barbara Streisand? I think we can all agree on hating her. Or Rosie O'Donnel? See, there are plenty of REAL people out there deserving of your hatred, so why waste it on Jar Jar? :D

gibbyhayes
04-28-2002, 12:05 PM
I can't really defend Jar-Jar's obnoxiousness, but even at six years old when I saw SW for the first time I did find 3PO annoying....give it time. Lucas likes to tidy things up, maybe Mr. Binks will recieve some redemption.

scruffziller
04-30-2002, 05:19 PM
Well one thing I can say about Jar Jar Binks and other comic relief charachters like him, we may not like him but those individuals are around us all the time in the real world, so who is to say that everyone in the SW universe has ivy league ettiqette, so to add them to the mix is essential to making it as real as possible. Even Yoda in ESB could have been viewed by some as too comical.

scruffziller
06-25-2002, 05:06 PM
Well one thing I can say now about JarJar, old GL must really like him, because he is the center of everything in this SW story that will come full circle. He saves the universe ultimately by being in R2's way and also dooms the universe by nominating emergency powers to Palpy.

icatch9
06-26-2002, 08:33 AM
I think that there was some dark forces controlling what Jar Jar did the day Palpatine took emergency powers. Jar Jar knew how much Padme' didn't want an army, but he suggested the emergecny powers anyway. A sith mind trick to be sure.

scruffziller
06-26-2002, 12:25 PM
YES I think Jar Jar is a Sith YES!!!!!!

Wookiee
07-11-2002, 08:30 AM
what about this-
how exactly does Anakin become involved in the greater story?

that is, how does he even begin to make Qui Gonn take notice of him, get off Tatooine, become a Jedi, Darth Vader, etc. instead of living his entire life as a slave? Isn't it partially due to Jar Jar's bumbling in the marketplace? Sure Padme and Qui Gonn met Anakin at Watto's but, it wasn't until they met him at the marketplace before the storm that Anakin really started to talk to them and invite them to his home. And if Qui Gonn and Padme were just casually and quietly walking along without Jar Jar, they probably wouldn't have prompted Anakin to take notice of them and start talking to them. Anakin might have just remained the boy from the junk shop.
hmmm...

icatch9
07-11-2002, 09:23 AM
Very good point I never thought of befor. Another plus for jar jar even though he's still silly :)

DarthBatman
07-12-2002, 12:06 AM
How do you know that the droid shooting at the ship wasn't just a bad shot? Maybe he would have missed him regardless of where he was, eh?

icatch9
07-12-2002, 08:02 AM
Clearly I didn't ask the droid if he ment to shoot down R2, but watch the movie closely. You see a bolt fly by R2, it passes right infront of him. If he hadn't of bumped into Jar Jar, thus delaying his trip to the hull of the ship, he would have rolled right into the bolt.

Again, I have no concreat proof, but I think it's interesting to think about:). But, it's hard to make the "I hate Jar Jar Club" understand anything that's not derogitory towards this character.