PDA

View Full Version : Expanding Action Fleet/Customs

Sakay
04-17-2002, 01:59 PM
First thread On SirStevesGuide.Com. I am a weary crusader who has been in the search of action fleet customizers, such as myself. My journey has lead me to this and many forums in search of individuals who have dedicated themselves to expanding my favorite Star Wars Series of toys, "Action Fleet." Is anyone out there that can point me in the right direction to individuals or websites that have the same interest? I have at this time compiled a short, but inspiring list of individuals that I believe should get credit for expanding action fleet. Please check out the following sites and add sites that I have over looked.

www.oswcc.com: Check Out Pictures of club meetings
www.calormen.com; CheckOut Star WarsToyBashing

If you are a customizer/diorama, please list the projects that have been completed; at this time I have a built a z95 headhunter, Jodo Kast; Wolf, Baron Soontir Fel Tie, Corran Horn X-wing, and numerious uglies. Please add to the fray.

jeddah
04-18-2002, 01:56 PM
Welcome to our petite enclave, Sakay.

FYI, you have a bad URL there, it should behttp://www.calormen.com (http://www.calormen.com/)

:)

jeddah

Sakay
04-19-2002, 01:07 PM
Thanks Jeddah, Hmm Kinda of slow fishing here. I was hoping for a better following for action fleet customs. I guess no one here really likes the idea. Fast update on my collection, Corran Horns Xwing is now in the final stages of production, my next custom will be a Tie Wing. Anybody out there even interested?

vulcantouch
04-19-2002, 01:21 PM
-well then Build one my good man! this is the perfect place to strut yer custom stuff, get yer fellow af collectors excited & build that following you seek :D
bc3's got a boatload of MM customs on his site btw, might give you a few ideas :D

Sakay
04-19-2002, 04:43 PM
Who is BC3 and where is his site? I would love to post my customs with him or at least get some feed back. Please let me know. Thanks.

SWAFMAN
04-19-2002, 04:44 PM
Britcit3 (http://freespace.virgin.net/james.hobson/index2.htm )

Sakay
04-19-2002, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the help? Maybe this tread should be posted in customs, but it seems there are even fewer action fleet collectors there. Any ideas?

good shot jansen
04-19-2002, 06:55 PM
unfortunately it was real real ruff around the edges (actually through out the middle too), and it only survived long enough to be targrt practice fodder for masons rogue wing.

i've always admired other peoples abilities at customizin' and kit bashin', unfortunately i lack the skill:(

sakay, i had stumbled upon that kit bashing site that you posted the link for (the one with all the amazin' tie's), and fell in love with the craftsmanship.

although i've got no customs to photo and show ( iwasn't kiddin' about the t becoming target practice fodder!), i would be more than happy to help in scavanging up unwanted action fleet to help you in your fabrication of customs.

post what kinda customs your planning on making, and what ships you need for parts to help make it a reality.

we've been known to be real resourcefull here in the ssg micro machines section, and are winnling and able to help however we can!

Sakay
04-19-2002, 07:50 PM
Finally some feedback! thanks! I actually would love to post my customs at this time, but my knowledge only goes as far as sending pictures out with email. If you'd like, I could send you some photos of recent customs? I 'd appreciate any kind of feedback. Also interested in finding sites that high lite Expanded Universe Ships. Please let me know if you can help?

Grif
04-20-2002, 11:28 AM
I have always wanted to make customs, but I can't!!! If any of you have any tips for how to make 'em. It would be great!!

Sakay
04-22-2002, 12:41 PM
The only difficulty in customizing is geting started. I am myself have not had extensive modelbuilding or painting experience, but with alittle inspiration. I have made a significant increase on my collection. Ideas can come from a number of areas, Star Wars Expanded Universe has actually been very helpful, check out a Star Wars Gamer Magazine, there are anumber of ideas that you can expand on. For painting tips, check out a number of the star wars customs site.

Sakay
05-06-2002, 01:33 PM
I just got new shots of my action fleet customs, If your interested in seeing them , email me and I'll send you an attachment!
New Action Fleet Customs;
Jodo Kast,"The Wolf"
StormtrooperX Naboo Starfighter
Baron Soontir Fel's Tie Intercepter
Corran Horn X-wing
Z95Headhunter

JediTricks
05-07-2002, 01:11 AM
If the images aren't too big, perhaps you could make a new post with the images attached.

Sakay
05-07-2002, 12:33 PM
I'll try again... Look out for Action Fleet Customs!

Sakay
05-07-2002, 12:37 PM
No good, file is too big! Maybe you can list them, if I send them to you?

JediTricks
05-08-2002, 05:52 AM
Ok, email 'em to me and I'll edit them down: lego@sirstevesguide.com

Sakay
05-08-2002, 02:52 PM
Thanks Tricks, I'll send them immediately! Let me know what you think?

Sakay
05-08-2002, 03:53 PM
After completing my assortment of uglies, I am interested in customizing a series of Bounty Hunter Ships. That should be pretty challenging, do to the fact, my customs are strictly based on action fleet ship models, so that would mean considerable hacking, sculpting, and finding essential combinations for customizing. I have several ideas, but am in the compiling of parts stages for most.

My Focuse now will be completing an assortment of uglies, with what I have left my parts box, any donations could be very helpful!

Sakay
05-08-2002, 06:33 PM
Does anyone know where I can find pictures and information on all the starfighters? Please let me know!

good shot jansen
05-09-2002, 08:25 AM
some helpful sites are:

b^2 starrwars stuff (http://www.synicon.com.au/sw/index.html#)

curtis saxton's star wars technical commentaries (http://www.theforce.net/swtc/)

frank gerrantana's star wars ship page (http://frankg.dgne.com/swsv/index.shtml)

i know that there's a ton more, and when i remember them (unfortunately i don't bookmark everything), i'll post em here

Sakay
05-09-2002, 12:42 PM
These sites will be some great help thanks GSJ!

JediTricks
05-09-2002, 07:53 PM
Since Sakay had trouble uploading his images I edited and sent back to him (something between his browser and the forums made it think that the file format was HTM), I'm uploading them here for him.

Sakay's custom AFs:

Jodo Kast; The Wolf, from Star Wars"Boba Fett" Twin Engines of Destruction

JediTricks
05-09-2002, 07:58 PM
Sakay's custom AFs:

Z95 Headhunter; Star Wars Expanded Universe, predessor to the X-wing.

JediTricks
05-09-2002, 08:04 PM
Sakay's custom AFs:

StormtrooperX; (Pirate/Mercenary) Naboo Starfighter as described in Star Wars Gamer #6

JediTricks
05-09-2002, 08:09 PM
Sakay's custom AFs:

Baron Soontir Fel; 181st Tie Fighter, as described in expanded universe novels.

JediTricks
05-09-2002, 08:14 PM
Sakay's custom AFs:

Corran Horn; Corsec Colors X-wing Starfighter, as described in Star Wars Rogue Squadron Series Novels( Not fully complete, still researching corsec insignia for the wings and hull, could you help?)

(jt's note - I don't know zip about most EU)

SWAFMAN
05-09-2002, 11:19 PM
really sweet work Sakay! that wolf is cool!

JediTricks
05-10-2002, 12:31 AM
I'm really impressed by his detail work like with scuffs and scrapes; and the Z-95 is a REALLY creative use of the Naboo Fighter and B-wing!

Sakay
05-10-2002, 12:45 PM
Thanks, the z95Headhunter was my very first custom, and due to the hacking and sculpting of the cockpit, my hardest. I'm glad you like it, it actually turned out better than I'd hoped for. Compared to the basic size customs I've seen of other Headhunters, I think mine gives a pretty fare run for the money.

good shot jansen
05-10-2002, 01:18 PM
the z-95 is awsome! you've done a fabulous job with all your customs. keep up the good work, and keep posting those photos!

Glitch
05-10-2002, 02:33 PM
Knee toe!

I'd be curious to see what you could do with Pod Racers!

Keep up the good work!

Sakay
05-10-2002, 03:36 PM
Hmm, Interesting...........B-wing chariot with twin tie cockpits pulling with the power of Quad Ione Engines? Any suggestions?

Yoda Likes Golf
05-10-2002, 05:29 PM
Hi Sakay

Your Action Fleet customs look really COOL !!! :-) keep up the good work

SID
05-10-2002, 09:40 PM
Sakay thanks for your pictures and way to go on those customs. By the way I use to live at Greenlake north Seattle,do you ever go to the Kent toyshow?

JediTricks
05-10-2002, 09:48 PM
That idea of using the B-wing cockpit for a podracer cockpit is really cool! Perhaps you could just hack off the "split-X" parts of two Sebulba podracers and repaint, maybe add some tech bits or flaps on it.

Sakay
05-11-2002, 12:32 PM
Hmm, I like that! I'll check my spare parts box and see what I can do.........What kind of alien should pilot this podracer?

JediTricks
05-13-2002, 01:42 AM
Hmm, I'd say "a cheap one" to go along with my suggestion about the Sebulba pod (it's a good looker for this task AND it's one of the easiest to get from Ep 1).

Seriously though, make it simple, if you have an extra Greedo, use him; if you have an extra Xizor from the SOTE battle pack, use him.

jeddah
05-13-2002, 04:22 AM
You could removed Muftak's legs and pop him in.

jeddah

Sakay
05-13-2002, 12:17 PM
He, he,he, I'll take this all in to consideration. Custom action fleet podracer works in draw up planning stage.

vulcantouch
05-13-2002, 12:38 PM
. . .& yer kast wolf looks purty spot on, sak :cool: now i think it's time for you (or maybe bc3) to make an MM custom of it :D
btw, there was no need to email me to make sure i'd view this thred, cuz unlike Some peeple here ( ;) ) i read All the mm forum :D

Sakay
05-13-2002, 12:57 PM
Thanks Vulc, I being a beginner customizer,a total amatuer, hope to make the customs as close to what they have been described. As for The Wolf MM Custom, I would leave that up to the expertice of BC3, me I'm strictly action fleet customs.

jeddah
05-13-2002, 02:26 PM
If only someone had some plans of CE3K UFOs :p

Oh,look here (http://xanthra.com/layout-logo.gif) , it seems to be the inspiration for your avatar :D ;)

jeddah

Sakay
05-13-2002, 02:48 PM
Any new ideas are welcomed, let me know what you'd like to see, and maybe I can figure out how to put it together. Let me know.

SWAFMAN
05-13-2002, 04:49 PM
here's (http://www.shawnandcolleen.com/shawn/Pages/namecar/) a custom you won't believe!

and this (http://www.starshipmodeler.com/news.cfm) place may provide some ideas for other projects. (check out the full-sized filming version TOS USS Enterprise - holy cow!)

Sakay
05-13-2002, 05:39 PM
WOW! I thought my converted wheel barrel/SandCrawler was extreme. That custom got me hands down.

vulcantouch
05-15-2002, 07:11 PM
cuz the fact is, i designed my aVaTar over 15 years ago, and not only was it obviously Not inspired by xanthra's, it obviously Was inspired by the red orbital recognizers from graViTar (http://web.utanet.at/nkehrer/JGravitar.html), the mystical-third-eye-located "eject symbol" on fett's helmet and, others have suggested, the rocky mountains and a spider. so if you don't wanna be caught in Web of litigation, better cease & desist w/your baseless slander :D
meanwhile, re the ce3k Cinefant, you are keeping in mind the "a few pages may be missing" caveat, right? :)
vt

jeddah
05-18-2002, 07:43 AM
:D

Re Caveat Emptor, I am very grateful for any new pics. I have the Fotonovel and Souvenir brochure but they have no pics of any quality on the UFOS.

If I had a DVD player, p'raps I could get some freezes, or sumpin', p'raps someone could help me out with that....? :kiss: pritee plz?

jeddah

Sakay
06-05-2002, 03:53 PM
Hello all, Just completed my second series of action fleet customs. Coming this Friday to a thread near you: Action Fleet Ugly Series;

Deathseed
Die-Wing
XY-Wing
Droid Conversion, with humanoid pilot

I'm still looking for some great ideas to expand this collection, please throw some of your ideas my way. See you Friday!

SWAFMAN
06-08-2002, 12:34 AM
TIE Infiltrator Custom on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1739046759)

Sakay
06-11-2002, 06:12 PM
Great looking custom! Feel sorry for anyone that feels they would have to pay such a high price for such an easy custom. Sad day when customizers start selling off the pride of there collections. I bet, do to the high bid, we'll begin to see alot of these.......... Look at all the business Hasbro missing out on.

SWAFMAN
06-12-2002, 11:34 AM
this seller (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1740436875) really needs better pictures of the ships. but it seems a very fair price.

I've emailed the seller asking for better pics of the ships to gauge the workmanship. This (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1740425231) is an interesting concept, but something in the execution doesn't feel right to me. I think it'd feel better to me if the added wing stubs with laser cannons were attached at an angle - maybe 35-45 degrees up from the upper wings, mounted onto the barrels of the engine nacelles. Better still, mounted the same as described above, but to an additional set of engines mounted directly outboard of the exiting upper engines. Otherwise, the ship would theoretically have terrible power balance problems firing the six cannons and maintaining any decent speed in a dogfight.

Sakay
06-12-2002, 12:33 PM
It just so happens prior to starting on my own SWAF Customs, me, myself, with low self esteem thought I wouldn't be able to make such things purchased one of the Defender Wings from the site below. Talk about alittle hack of work! That is entirely why I started my other thread in concerns that new collectors wouldn't be burned like I had. New collectors inexperienced without the guideance of other like us, actually believe," Is this as good as it gets?" Believe me I was there. Truth is without any experience and alittle inspiration I have made customs that I'm quite proud of.

The Site I bought My Defender Wing
http://members.aol.com/toyhunter1

jeddah
06-12-2002, 01:49 PM
Those 2 X-wing customs are unspeakabley (IMHO) non-gel-ish. The second one looks like an aerial! :dead:

jeddah
(edit: Oh, how I wish we could use the brown word sometimes)

Sakay
06-12-2002, 02:02 PM
This individuals work was actually the catalist that made me say," I can do better than that." While I've made twelve different customs later, he's still building the same customs, which makes me believe its just a profit thing for this customizer. Which in all actuality, makes me look pretty good at what I do.

SWAFMAN
06-12-2002, 04:29 PM
Sakay, what do you think of my proposed revisions to the "attack" wing? is it possible? would it work/look okay?

It appears to me that it is possible to remove the upper engines from a "spare parts" x-wing, and it also appears that they'd mount without too terribly much difficulty on the small bevel section snugged right up against the existing engines, It may require just a little putty (bondo??) on the wing to fill-in a little of the base of the upper wing where the 2nd engine would mount. The real question is whether the wing stubs could be mounted at a 35-45 degree angle to the added engines in a decent-looking, believable way?

And I'd just lose the lower wing stubs/cannons entirely. How do you land with them?

Attached is a VERY fast & dirty example my proposed revision, courtesy of photoshop...

Sakay
06-12-2002, 06:02 PM
I dont know if I really care for the configuration? The six engines are really a daunting concept, but with the three wings configuration, I think it would be a mess. I've also considered, how does a starfighter like that land? It seems to me the only way, would to be some kind of rack. What do you think? The three wings concept actually gave me an a great idea for a new custom, I don't have the luxury of photoshop, I ran off copies of action fleet parts and I taped them together, alittle archaic, but it works.

I'd like to take a stab at the attack wing, I think with the addition of your extra set of engines it could be done and made to look quite formidable. First, I would stack two of the engine and center the third inbetween the two. The center engine would be the fixed wing, and with alittle detailing the upper and lower would be able to swing into attack position. In addition to making the upper and lower wings swing, I would shorten them a bit to provide the fixed wing as the main stablizer. Again, I don't have photoshop, but I think it could be worked out to make a fine custom. What do you think?

shinakuma43
06-13-2002, 03:34 AM
Sakay, I just looked at your custom pics above. They all look nice, but the wolf-b is awesome, I'd definitly love to have at least one of them :)

Later,
S43

SWAFMAN
06-13-2002, 12:14 PM
well, the customizer in Florida may be something of a hack, but at least he did respond to my email by updating the auction pics with more detailed ones..... The links posted above now show some much better close-ups.

Sakay
06-13-2002, 12:52 PM
I agree, he's a true entrepreneur! And I hope he really does well, only hopefully, through my rantings, I have turned some people onto other possibilitlies of of expanding action fleet collections with a variety of choices rather than one choice.

SWAFMAN
06-13-2002, 03:15 PM
Sakay, I'm reviewing what duplicates I have in the hope I can send you something to work with, to create one or more customs for my collection.

Sakay
06-13-2002, 04:08 PM
Sounds Great! Just let me know what you would like to see, we'll plan out your design requirement, type of craft, color scheme, and pilot.

SWAFMAN
06-14-2002, 05:41 PM
Sakay, the 1st one I'd like is the modified Vader TIE "Infiltrator."

Did you say you've already done one?

I also have an X-Wing I could supply for customization. What else would be required to make an X-Wing into a Z-95?

Sakay
06-18-2002, 02:54 PM
Actually I haven't made a Tie Infiltrator, but as soon as I receive the Vader Tie I'm going to try my hand at it! I'll let you know how it goes, and then you should consider if I should build one for you.

The z95 Headhunter was made from the main fuselage of the Xwing, its wings from a bwing and a cockpit from a naboo starfighter. If you find the parts are a little hard to find, i also can make one from the old custom schematics, of one xwing for its fuselage and wings, an a Awing for its canopy.

SWAFMAN
06-18-2002, 06:10 PM
okay, Sakay. Lemme know once you've tried your hand at the infiltrator.

On the Z-95, I'll have to think on it. I figured it was just an x-wing with its wings bondo'd together and one large cannon fashioned onto the wingtips. I wasn't sure which other ship you got the round cockpit canopy from. I definitely have extras on the Naboo fighter, but no extra B-wings.

Sakay
06-18-2002, 06:31 PM
Hey SWAFMAN, I can help out with the bwing parts, not a problem, I was more concerned with the naboo starfighter, its alot of ship just to hack a canopy off, but any spare parts from hacking I'll save. You never know they might come in handy.

SWAFMAN
06-18-2002, 07:35 PM
I was thinking of trying to make glass fragments from the panes of "glass" from the original x-wing's canopy, and fixing them to the rim of the cockpit area of the naboo, for a battle-damaged effect. maybe adding some other battle damage to the fuselage, too? what do you think?

Sakay
06-18-2002, 07:43 PM
I dont know, it sounds a little messy. You have to consider the apoxy or glue would make the pieces look gummed up. I really don't know much about battle damage though, it could work.

Sakay
07-11-2002, 05:14 PM
It seems with all my hard work at trying to promote my favorite series of collection, need I say it? "Action Fleet" I feel as if I have been abandoned by the very consortium I've been pledging my my somewhat unfounded dedication. Now with the unvailing of the long awaited Ep2 series, I have been cheated!

I have lost the enthusiam that has driven, and motivated me into expanding my own collection with customs dedicated to enhancing and sharing of passion to all that show interest. To this date I have five more customs I have not posted because I have lost the enthusiam to do so! Does any one else feel the same as I do?

SWAFMAN
07-11-2002, 05:38 PM
Say it Ain't So, Sakay!

as I said in another post, it's people like You and Britcit3, the customizers, who best exemplify the spirit of AF enthusiasm.

No pressure, buddy, but YOU are the future of the entire AF line, since it seems Hasbro sure as heck isn't interested in being the standard-bearer any longer.

I'd much rather see yours and other original customs than any of the "official" repaint dreck.

to paraphrase a line from a great song:

"they sniffed the reeking butts of Hasbro, and acted like it was Cocaine!!!"

...and if you know the title of that song, then you know the sentiment I feel about us letting Hasbro's bonehead moves affect our enthusiasm. ;)

Sakay
07-11-2002, 06:10 PM
I know what your thinking, amoment of weakness, it seems that I too often have been the one to bring others off away from the edge with encouragement of customs and the boundless imagery of what our collections can truely blossom to. Some of the things that have pushed me to the edge is bearing witness to high auctions vertually halting production of my own customs, as if that isn't bad enough but its the added insult to injury of those that do not follow through on transactions and send me into numerous inquiries into refunds. It just seems that with all the effort put forward to promoting AF, Hasbro in return has spit in my eye! Like your sentiments, the best part of MM & AF for now are those who participate in this forum.

JediTricks
07-12-2002, 05:33 PM
I know how you feel Sakay, this development feels like the Action Fleet line has been dead for 2 years and we were just told.

Sakay
07-12-2002, 06:04 PM
After considering this past week and how its basically broke me down to rock bottom, I've decided that the only way to fight back is to continue my drive to customize in the direction that most of us believe Hasbro should have gone. I have in production a couple of surprises that will make you smile, if Hasbro can't give it to us, I will. This weekend I am braking out my custom supplies and will complete production on those that have been left during this short set back. This next series will be dedicated to this forum. Coming to a thread near you!

JediTricks
07-17-2002, 04:28 AM
Right on!!! We'll be there checkin' out the pics, good luck to ya.

SWAFMAN
07-24-2002, 06:18 PM
Sakay, do you have a spare complete laser cannon from the wing tip of an X-wing you could sell or spare to me? I'm thinking about trying something, and would prefer to not destroy a perfectly good x-wing to do it.....

Sakay
07-30-2002, 05:10 PM
Dont forget to post your custom when its completed. Also let me know what you think of B-Defender? I think it looks pretty menacing, I attribute the idea to your idea related to the X Defender.

SWAFMAN
07-30-2002, 05:41 PM
thanks Sakay! Are you enclosing a pic of the b-defender with the cannon?

Sakay
07-30-2002, 06:56 PM
I sent along my only draft, let me know what you think? I think it is along the lines of what you had been thinking for the Xdefender. The wings will open and close along with opening cockpit.

SWAFMAN
07-31-2002, 03:09 PM
Sakay, the envelope arrived today. The laser cannon looks perfect, like it was never even used / glued to its original ship.
There's an auction ending soon that's still reasonably priced. I hope it stays within my budget so I can get going on this project. I've been thinking about some custom paint effects, but I'm not an experienced or skilled model painter at all, so I may not try. I'd like to add a paint wash like what's on the new AFs, but don't really know how.

Now the important part:
Your concept for the b-defender is AWESOME!!!
I thought about scanning your pic and posting it, but I don't want to tip your hand to any other customizers. You have a fantastic design. I can't wait to see the finished product. I'll keep you informed of any ships I see that will help you complete the prototype, and I already want one for me, too, so I'll be looking for more ships for that one.

Sakay
07-31-2002, 04:42 PM
Hey SWAFMAN, Glad you liked the picture, photoshop would definately help. I have a number of customs, I would like to post but, I am currently hunting around my house for the USB wire that connects my camera to the computer. I think you'll really enjoy some of my work, I also have a repaint that sure to make our forum buzz. Again, glad to hear you received the part, I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Sakay
08-14-2002, 02:37 PM
I finally broke down and ordered a new interface cable for my digital camera to replace the one thats floating around my house somewhere. It should be here by Friday, and the new post detailing all my old series custom action fleet along with my new never before posted series will finally make there debut. Hope everyone enjoys.

SWAFMAN, Thanks for the heads up on the auction, as supply goes one down one togo before construction begins.

A special welcome to SICQNUS to the forums, you have definately brought a great amount of insight and perspective from your side of the world. Interesting enough I was stationed in Germany when Action Fleet first caught my eye and at the time was under the assumption that the line was purely a European line, thankfully enough when I returned stateside Action Fleet was here too. Thanks Again!

SWAFMAN
10-24-2002, 11:02 PM
I finished the assembly of my first custom.

The shape of this one is tough to scan, but it's my only option right now. I'll post better shots if I ever get a digicam, or maybe my dogcrap film camera will take a worthwhile photo of it.

I also still would like to give it a paint wash, kind of like what's been done on the recent Saga X-Wing & Millennium Falcon, to bring out all the detail on the lower fuselage, which is molded decently but nearly invisible because Galoob opted to leave it completely unpainted.

Aside from the cannon, my favorite difference in this one is how much better it looks mounted lower on the stand. The original, IMHO, looks dorky mounted up so high on its already unflattering rocket launcher.

This one is a breeze to make. If you don't repaint, you can do it in 1/2 hour from sealed, stock AF to finished on-stand display.

JediTricks
10-25-2002, 06:07 AM
Nice work Swaffy, personally I like the T-16 without the weapon at all. If I may be so bold, may I suggest cutting out the thicker part of the X-wing cannon (the middle), cutting off the parabolic backfire-suppressor (the tip), and shortening the rear section of the cannon.

SWAFMAN
10-25-2002, 08:53 PM
JT,

Having just finished this one, and it being my first, I'll probably leave it as-is (except for paint effects, maybe). But if the bug infects me to start trying more customs, I'll look at making a T-16-C with a shorter cannon.

BTW, there's no rule against YOU making a T-16-C ;) !!! The more the merrier.

Until we start getting a consistent supply of knock-your-socks-off new AFs, I think customizing the legacy versions is a great way to keep things interesting.

This was a really fun experience. When I first saw the customs other folks had made, probably about a year ago, I thought there was NO WAY I'd ever try to make one. I was just too worried about ruining an AF ship to where it would be unusable, and that seemed (and still seems) akin to sacrilege. But when I had the thought about making a less annoying T-16, I decided to just go for it.

jeddah
10-26-2002, 10:32 AM
Nice work Swaffy. If they'd been released like that to start off with, I would've bought one :cool:

To remove the link with the X-wing I suppose you(one) could clip off the recoil whatsits that JT was on about and drill a hole in the little dish on Anakins PR and slide that down the shaft. Not sure how 'canon' that would be, though :)

Really cool work.

To any scratchbuidlers and customisers, you may wanna have a look at http://www.starwarz.com/modelshop/make/vaporator.htm and check out the Radiant # he made. This site will really help you with resin and styrene use to create your own pieces either from scratch or as add-ons to your custom AFs. It's where I got the idea for my 5' ST Spacedock standard lamp. :cool:

jeddah

SWAFMAN
10-26-2002, 12:37 PM
Holy Guacamole! Jeddah, that guy's work is amazing. I'd like to see him use his experience copying existing models to create something from his own imagination as a future project.

If it were original enough, I have no doubt he'd be snatched up by some SFX studio in a heartbeat.

For him to have started doing this with little or no training, and create such fantastically detailed models, he must have an inborn, natural gift.

jeddah
10-27-2002, 09:48 AM
I know, incredible isn; it? I asked him for any ideas on materials and methods for producing a 1:1 droid-docking station such as the ones on Queen Amidala's 1st royal ship and he came back with so much info it was great.

Part of the R2 problem is recharging and as a lot of us (R2 builders) are going for the recharge port on the front, I was worried about electricity on an all-aluminium droid, and heat warping the wood of the power harness (which is what I had planned to make the docking stn out of).

He came back with all this advice on materials and now problem solved :)

Swaffy, I'm glad you liked the site. Sakay what do you think?

jeddah

JediTricks
10-27-2002, 03:07 PM
Oh, I'm not interested in the T-16 enough to modify it. ;) Besides, I don't have any extras of it or x-wings. The only reason I modded my Snowspeeder and Falcon was because they were 2-pack extras. Turns out the Snowspeeder (from the SA 2pack) is the rare variant... whoops. :D

Sakay
11-12-2002, 06:55 PM
Swafman! Looks great! looks like you have joined the ranks of AF Customizers! (Super Elite) eh,heh... Let me know what parts you may need for you next custom, maybe I could help!

SWAFMAN
11-26-2002, 10:15 PM
Thanks, Sakay. Did you ever get your B-Wing project completed?

I haven't had any ideas for a new AF Custom, yet. The T-16 was the main one that was screaming at me for a minor revision. If I had an opener of a Flash Speeder, I'll bet I'd be eyeing that one for some gun re-working, too. ;)

Good to have you posting again, Sakay. Hope you'll be back regularly.

SWAFMAN
12-13-2002, 09:25 PM
As I mentioned a while ago, I wanted to better show the detail in the "base" section of the T-16 - below the cockpit & above the cannon. While I was at it, I applied the same paintwash to bring out the panel lines etched in the tri-wing section.

These images (like all the ones I post) are taken on a flatbed scanner, and I apologize for the dogcrap quality. The scanner makes the paint inside the panel lines look overly-done, and splotchy in some places. In-person, the paintwash effect looks very subtle on the tri-wing areas, and you don't appreciate how different it is from the original until you set them side-by-side.

3/4 shot - this one best shows what I wanted to do to bring out the detail in the base section. Every time I try a 3/4 shot of this ship, it creates an optical illusion that the cannon is bent...

SWAFMAN
12-13-2002, 09:30 PM
side view A

SWAFMAN
12-13-2002, 09:31 PM
side view b

SWAFMAN
12-13-2002, 09:38 PM
yikes! looking at how bad the paint looks in these images, I regret posting them. I promise that the ship looks great in-person. No, really, it DOES!

:vomit:
(what, SSG doesn't have a "vomit" emoticon??? sheesh!) :rolleyes:

JediTricks
12-14-2002, 05:06 AM
Good paint wash, although it does look a little heavy in the scans. Reminds me of over-inked panel lines on Gundam models and MSIA figs. Really brings out the weathered look and accents the sculpting quite nicely.

This is the only type of detail that I wish Galoob had invested in, the Action Fleet vehicles (and some of the Die Cast) have such great sculpted details that go unnoticed because they don't have that "lived in" look that Star Wars is known for. Hasbro seems to be going down that road a bit, but they're sloppy and/or lazy with too many of them and sometimes when they do get them right they cover them with snow!!! ;)

jeddah
12-14-2002, 06:18 PM
I boughtcha this for Creeezmahs;

:D

jeddah

good shot jansen
12-14-2002, 06:30 PM
really nice work there swaficus! i think it looks great! galoob woulda had a winner if it released the sky hopper along the lines of your custom. it really does capture the appearance of the ship from the movie! you did an excellent job!

well done!

SWAFMAN
12-15-2002, 06:38 PM
Thanks, guys!! It was fun to do, after I got over the paranoia of risking ruining an out-of-production ship.

I'll post some "lessons learned" as soon as I find my notes with the names of better choices of paint than the one I used.

Jeddah, thanks for the "emeticon" ;) It's hilarious. PLEASE - SSG - add it as a forum choice!!!

JediTricks
12-16-2002, 12:42 AM
I'm afraid our emoticons don't go anywhere near that wide, but it is a funny (if disturbing) graphic. Personally, I use :p as vomit, it looks like he's coughing up blood. :D ;)

jeddah
12-16-2002, 08:21 AM
Nice, JT, reeeaaaallly, nice :D thanks for that mental image.

jeddah

sergiurusu
12-18-2002, 04:06 AM
this is not a real Action Fleet but is custom made of tooth-pics. It has almost the size of the AF AT-ST

good shot jansen
12-18-2002, 12:12 PM
whoa! that's awsome!

great job sergiurusu!

vt, help! we need a good acronym for sergiurusu;)

vulcantouch
12-18-2002, 12:50 PM
even though it's a bit redolent of gainsbourg, spagetti westerns, computer power protectors, designer jeans, mountain-dew wannabes & bronson pinchot in BevCop 1&2, it should do eh? ;)
hey serg you know what you made there? what the ewoks built to help illustrate battle of endor bedtime stories for their "younglings" :D

sicqnus
12-18-2002, 08:45 PM
I believe that I found this morning the ideal basis to make a very good Action Fleet Nebulon B frigate. Good proportions, good scale, very good price.
I will make a new fake box and take the time to paint one.

They are sold by pack of four. If somebody is interested by one, LMK.

===========================================
Two "non-SW fans" secretaries.
- Nebulon-B ? What's this ? Is it a nickname ?
- I don't know...
- Probably somebody in an office.

:evil:

JediGoofy
12-19-2002, 04:51 AM
Hi sicqnus,
I am definitely interested in any type of Nebulon B Medical Frigate! :)
Are they made of plastic or cardboard?
I hope they are not to be assembled and painted because I am a very bad modeller. :(
But in any case I am interested. :D
Please let me know something, thank you!
JediGoofy

P.S. By the way, where did you find them?

P.P.S. I think Jeddah may be interested too, since we are the two people always answering "Nebulon B" in any poll for wanted new vehicles. :happy:

sicqnus
12-19-2002, 04:04 PM
Hi JediGoofy,

These cool ships are models. Very easy to assemble. Only 4 or 5 parts and they have to be painted. They are "garage kits" produced in Australia by a guy named Wayne William Pugh. He is a professional prototyping modeler and he offers a very few cool sets for sale on his webpage.
He also produced a very cute Bespin "Cloud City" on base.
As you will see the prices are very reasonable (shipping is included in the retail price). AUD$60 and AUD$70.

http://users.hunterlink.net.au/~ddwwp/resin.htm

:)

good shot jansen
12-19-2002, 04:30 PM
if you need a fourth to play, i'll hop on the bandwagon!

that we we'll be sure to get the most amount of international involvement.

if you need some funds up front sicqnus, let me know your address, and i'll forward you some moolah.

sicqnus
12-19-2002, 05:28 PM
Ok no problem. I will drop a line whan I'll receive them.

JediGoofy
12-20-2002, 05:06 AM
Thank you for the link sicqnus.
It looks like the Nebulon B is a one piece resin model, so no assembly should be required. :)
The problem will be the painting :( (the sample showed in the web site is wonderful, I highly doubt to be able to have such a good result).
In any case I am very happy to be able to get a Nebulon B model at last. Thank you very much, sicqnus! :happy:
Of course I will cover all the expenses for the model and for the shipping (if you want the money in advance please tell me :) )

Ciao,
JediGoofy

P.S. I may be late to answer to your messages in the next few weeks, because I will be on vacation, but rest assured I am interested in this deal. :D

P.P.S. We have here a really international group of people! MM and AF make the world better! :)
Merry Christmas to everybody!

hawkelancer
07-03-2009, 11:39 PM
are there any more customs that have been completed or udates to any of the ones listed in this thread?