PDA

View Full Version : Funny situations with clueless family members/friends on SW prequels

scruffziller
04-17-2002, 08:18 PM
I always find it entertaing to educate people on the prequels because they had no idea it was a prequel or what was going on.
Post your funny situations. Look for my reply below too.

DeadEye
04-17-2002, 08:43 PM
Yeah, my sister's often clueless about such things...but can you elaborate what you mean by "situations"?

SithDroid
04-17-2002, 09:07 PM
When I went to see TPM with my aunt she didn't know it was a prequel and afterward said, "Oh, does this take place before Star Wars?" Boy some people really must live under a rock. Needless to say I said yeah, didn't you notice the Young Obi-Wan Kenobi. Oh boy, I get a laugh out of uninformed people sometimes.

chewie
04-17-2002, 09:30 PM
I know a girl whom around 5 years ago when the special editions were being aired didn't know what Star Wars was, and she was 25 years old at the time.

Wolfwood319
04-17-2002, 09:35 PM
I think some of you are too involved in Star Wars. A lot of people don't care or don't know about Star Wars, and you people hold it against them, and that's sad. Some of seem to think that Star Wars is the only important thing that exists, and you seem to think that everyone else should feel the same.

They probably know a lot about something you know nothing of, but do they hold it against you?

chewie
04-17-2002, 10:13 PM
Yeah. I wish I could say the girl I know that didn't even know of the movies knew something, especially something I didn't, but she doesn't. Now that isn't true for the majority of people like this, but I definitely know her mind is an empty cavity. :)

SithDroid
04-17-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
I think some of you are too involved in Star Wars. A lot of people don't care or don't know about Star Wars, and you people hold it against them, and that's sad. Some of seem to think that Star Wars is the only important thing that exists, and you seem to think that everyone else should feel the same.

They probably know a lot about something you know nothing of, but do they hold it against you?

True they might know something that we know nothing about, but it is highly likely that we have NEVER heard of it before. Star Wars is such an international phenomena with all the merchandising and TV commercials for it through out the years, so I find it hard that someone has NEVER heard of it. I can understand someone not having seen them, but not heard of is a little odd.

Wolfwood319
04-17-2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by SithDroid

True they might know something that we know nothing about, but it is highly likely that we have NEVER heard of it before. Star Wars is such an international phenomena with all the merchandising and TV commercials for it through out the years, so I find it hard that someone has NEVER heard of it. I can understand someone not having seen them, but not heard of is a little odd.

You obviously haven't met many people then, have you? I've met quite a few people who never heard of Star Wars. And still, why do you have fun at the expense of those who haven't heard of Star Wars, or that know little about it?

SithDroid
04-17-2002, 11:50 PM
I don't have fun at their expense, but it just seems a little odd. It is kind of like asking someone "What happened on 9/11?" Do you honestly think there are that many people out there that DON'T know. The media has crammed this stuff at us. Heck I don't watch that awful show Pokemon, but I could tell you a little bit about it from all the TV and merchandising stuff I've seen. Plus since SW has been around for 25 years now unlike something like Pokemon which has only been around like 4 or 5 years, people would have at least heard about it. Heck even if you watch the news you are forced to see something about it because most of the news stations covered the Special Edition Release of the Film and the release of TPM. Even the newspaers covered it. So I just find it hard to believe that people know NOTHING of SW. Unless you live out in the middle of nowhere with no civilization remotely close to you and you don't have access to a TV or Radio, then I could understand, but if you live in a major city then I find it hard to believe.

scruffziller
04-18-2002, 06:49 PM
Sorry I was not able give more info for my inspiration for the thread itself. But I can now. I was talking to an older lady that I worked with that liked Star Wars and was actually gung-ho about the new one coming up (EPS1). She didn't really look into what it was about but she talking about how she going to take her grandkids to it. And I mentioned that this shows Darth Vader as a little kid to her and she was somewhat taken aback by that. It was rather humerous. But then again if you knew this lady, she was one sandwich short of a picnic too. Plus we had a girl swear up and down she saw E. T. on the Jedi council. She was reffering to Yarel Poof. She was adament about it too, "IT'S ET!!!!!!!!!" she shouted at us, so we just said "Whatever." It was a milestone in humor of this sort.

Taichi
04-21-2002, 05:17 PM
But, ET is in episode I......

he was in the senate.....okay, so the senate and the jedi council are not the same.....but show her where ET really is, so she don't feel completely stupid.....

ANAKIN_SOLO
05-06-2002, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319

You obviously haven't met many people then, have you? I've met quite a few people who never heard of Star Wars. And still, why do you have fun at the expense of those who haven't heard of Star Wars, or that know little about it?

Are you alright? lol, I agree with most of it, but put a smiley in there or something:) Now count backwards from 10:D

(BTW, I hope you know I'm joking)

bigbarada
05-12-2002, 02:10 AM
I've known people that have seen Ep1 several times but still can't make the Padme/Amidala or Sidious/Palpatine connections. They are actually SW fans too.:stupid: I guess that will just make Ep2 and 3 that much more exciting and/or confusing for them.

BobaFett
05-31-2002, 06:24 PM
My little sister asked me if luke skywalker was in the prequels. Doesn't know that Anakin is Vader either. She's 11

darthvyn
06-02-2002, 03:44 PM
my friend of 25 realized half way through ep I that anakin was luke's father, but that's all she realized. after hearing her say that, HER friend sitting next to her said "OH MY GOD!!!" realizing the full implications of the previous revelation. my friend was like, "what?" but then it finally dawned on her... and she felt a little dumb.

Exhaust Port
06-05-2002, 09:55 AM
I was discussing with this girl the success of Ep.1 in generating money even though some people thought it was the weakest of the series so far. She said "Well, none of the original trilogy were really popular or made money until their re-release in the 90's." She then went on to tell me that there wasn't any merchandising for the original movies like there was for Ep. 1.

I was floored. I tried to assure her that there was plenty of merchandise for Star Wars. I told her of standing in line for all 3 original movies just like Ep. 1. She didn't seem to believe me, just blew me off and left the conversation.

She was born in '81 so I find it hard to imagine where she's getting her information from. "I was there and I have pictures to prove it" is not a good explaination in her book.

Another example with this same girl: I talking to her boyfriend about having seen AOTC in on a digital projector. She told me that she too had seen it digitally at the local theater. I tried to explain that there is only one digital theater in the whole region and the local theater was not it. "No, no, no. George Lucas shot it totally in digital so all the shows are digital." Again, I couldn't argue with reasoning like that.

Sadly I might end up becoming related to her so I might have a lifetime of great SW conversations like these ahead of me.

Wookiee
06-07-2002, 09:02 AM
I dated this girl for a couple weeks in college who had never seen any Star Wars movie. She was born in the 70's lived her whole life in America and had never even seen them. Anywhere. In theaters, video, tv, nothing. She was vaguely aware that there was some character named Darth Vader who dressed in black and was evil, but that was about it. She'd never seen any of the Indiana Jones movies either. She was pretty normal in every other way, so I couldn't figure it out. If you've seen Star Wars and didn't care for it, that's one thing, but how could you avoid it your whole life? This bothered me.

scruffziller
06-07-2002, 06:01 PM
Oh yea I know plenty of adults in their 40s that have never seen them, they think of themselves as "sensible". The movie K-PAX would be their SW. Stuck-up MoofMoofs!!