PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone customize anymore?

Obi-Don
08-16-2001, 09:54 AM
I was just wondering if anyone is doing any customizing anymore.I haven't heard too much about it lately.Just started getting in to it myself.Made a few figures,but the one I like the best is my Jedi Wookie.He is painted grey with tan and black streaks.Haven't gave him a name but I thought he looked cool.Not a whole lot of figures around here to use as stock so the pickens is small.I also a have got into making lightsabers with different handles not just the same basic handles,I have added on some of them blades that come out from the bottom and top.Just so you know what I'm talking about,knife blades not light blades.

jedi master sal
08-16-2001, 03:18 PM
Most definitely. I have made an awesome (if I do say so myself) General Jar Jar. (this fig will make you think twice about JJ's smarts. He looks every part the warrior that he bacame near the end of EPI. As soon as I have a pic I'll post it .

On another note, how does everyone feel about the new forum?

evenflow
08-16-2001, 07:41 PM
Sure. I do it as much as I can. I am working on a figure right now.

humsup
08-17-2001, 12:17 AM
I think its just a matter of time for any serious collector to begin their hands on customising. When I started about 2 years ago, I was virtually like buying everything off the shelves or pegs and there is no knowing when I can have all of them. 2 years down the road, I have come to realise that there is much more characters in the SW Universe that Hasbro has yet to catch up with and that I would want badly. Or a character was badly made by Hasbro that you think yourself could do better and set off to try your hands on proofing a point. Or a figure's price was blown all out of proportion that you think it ain't worth that money but you would want it badly and also want to show people your custom is way cooler than the "real" one.

So many reasons to start your own custom and IMO, its the end results that makes you proud. So, come on people, customing is fun!! :D

Darth Cruel
08-17-2001, 03:00 AM
I can only wish I had the talent to customize figures. I'd be able to do some simple stuff like changing and repainting body parts. but if it get to needing sculpting...my talent ends there.

humsup
08-17-2001, 10:46 AM
Not to be disheartened and feel you have no talent or such in customising. If you can try to put your hands and some will power to it, I believe you or anybody else can do customs. You don't need to get concensus from everybody else and as long as you are happy with your own customs, I feel it is good enough. Hey, its your customs and as long as you are happy, its a good customs.

I think I own my meagre skills in sculpting in my years of collecting plastic model tanks. Therefore re-modelling as is the term for AFV (Armour fighting vehicles) is no new stuff for me. But then, to custom an action figure is a different ball game altogether. Nevertheless, I set out on my first Imperial Officer using Grand Moff Tarkin figure and I simpy sculpt a cap for him and painted his bare hands black to simulate gloves. Start off a simple custom and then move on from there.

You can do it :)

pthfnder89
08-17-2001, 02:17 PM
Humsup is right Cruel,

you're the only one who has to be happy with your customs, it doesn't really matter if they're good enough to sell or something, as long as you like them.

Besides, you'de be amazed the kinds of figures you can create by just painting and switching body parts. I pretty much get back into customizing only when a new NEW JEDI ORDER book comes out. I really don't like most SW books or comics but I still really wanted to have the Solo family and lots of the Jedis that appear, so those are what I've been working on.

Just by switching around and painting I think I came up with some kickass Solo kids that I really love. So go for it if you really want to.

PloKoon2385
08-17-2001, 08:54 PM
I do, but I am not good at the boil and pop stuff (no laughing) I just cant do it right. How long do you let it boil? I have recently bough a bunch of enamels. Stupid me. I need acrylics! Enamels make 'em all sticky! I used to use sharpies. I have only cut myself once with my hobby knife, and am proud of that!:D

humsup
08-17-2001, 10:57 PM
I think boiling is the first step to make the holes of the plastic larger. But that doesn't mean the parts will just slide out effortlessly. You have to apply a certain force and take it slow if you feel the pegs are elongating. It means the part are to be snapped. Well, I'm no expert in customising myself and for me, I study the structure of the pegs (when its 1/2 way out) to determine the final force to pull it out should be using a certain technique etc. I think I'm confuse :eek:

bigbarada
08-18-2001, 01:38 AM
I'm in the process of making a 12" Barada, but I had to sculpt the head from scratch. Will post pictures soon.

I began customizing when Hasbro kept putting out Chewbacca figures with crossed eyes. I had to repaint the eyes and figured if I could do that successfully I could pretty much do anything.

If you're unsure about your talent then I would suggest starting small to build up your confidence. You don't have to build a figure from scratch right off the bat.

Some small customizations I've done are actually more like corrections; uncrossing Chewie's eyes, removing COMMTECH Artoo's restraining bolt, fixing the POTJ Scout Trooper visor with a fine tipped marker, etc.

Once you get into it you'll find that your customized figures actually mean more to you because they are unique and truly yours.

Obi-Don
08-18-2001, 07:20 AM
Everyone is right,you don't need alot of skill just practice.I to have problems with the boil and pop like with the heads.May one out of two come off the way they should.When one of neck pegs breaks off I use a small nail,cut the head off the nail,sometimes drill the holes or I just heat the nail and push it in then use superglue to hold the nail in place.I also leave the head alone without the superglue which allows me to which heads if I want.All that really matters is that you enjoy what you are doing and that you are happy with what you have,don't worry if no-one likes or dislikes it , becuse its yours not theirs.

buba-fatt
08-23-2001, 10:47 PM
if you are just starting out in customizing, you might try prying the halves of the upper torso appart with a tiny slot screwdriver. this has been very productive for me. what i do is stick the screwdriver between the upper and lower torso(on the backside of the figure so it's not so noticable) and pry downward. this ussually pops the pieces apart pretty clean. the screwdrivers i use come in a package of 5 to 7 pieces at most $stores. as far as paint goes, the enamel works good on the torsos as they are made from a different type of plastic. for the heads arms and legs, i will put them in a boiling dye bath which soaks into the plastic as opposed to just covering it. but, customizing is art not science so you are the only one that has to be pleased with it. please forgive me if this information is just a repeat of what you fine people have already posted. ive enjoyed reading yalls info and thought i might could share some as well. please also excuse my spelling and grammitcal errors as well as my lack of punctuation and capitallization. ive been out of school for 11 years now and cant remember didly about writing.

GNT
09-12-2001, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by Obi-Don
Does anyone customize anymore?

I have/ do make small changes to figures every once and again but I just like to look at peoples good work that you guys do :)

Jargo
09-12-2001, 11:25 AM
I've only recently sussed out how to boil and pop and found that water off the boil is best but you have to work quickly as the water cools fast! However, I'm not interested in making any figures that come from the movies or EU. I like to make up my own characters and aliens. I'm working on the crew of a deep space freighter at the moment. Big fat captain, dashing hero type smuggler, Twi'Lek female, Twi'Lek male mechanic, rough diamond type smuggler. I'm looking to add a Trandoshan and Ithorian to the crew so I'm having loads of fun butchering old figures to get the parts I want. Left over bits I use for more serious customisations. I'm using the head of the Luke that came with the skiff to put on the body of captain panaka so i have more than one Naboo security captain. If you mix enamel paints right they don't go sticky. Gloss and matt misxed together give a nice satiny finish like plastic. More than one coat of paint applied very thinly are better than one thick coat. Invest in fine paintbrushes, the least skill looks good when good brushes are used.
Don't be scared to experiment. try out ideas on really cheap figures bought in thrift stores if you don't want to mess up your star wars figures. Once you learn how to do the boil and pop and the glue and paint bits, try a star wars customisation. It's the best fun to be had on your own using your hands.....! ;)

Obi-Don
09-13-2001, 11:01 AM
Jargo,like you I to like making my own figures.Most are Jedis with a few dark Jedis. One I like the best is a Wookie[no name as of yet],I painted him grey with tan and black streaks.He turned out really nice.He stands out from the other wookies which is what I like about him. I have also really got into lightsaber making.I'm waiting on a order from Plastuct with the clear rods to begin making more realistic sabers. For now I'm using some plastic party picks which looks pretty good.

Sidiously Darth
09-20-2001, 10:59 PM
My current creation is a Saurin from the cantina. Actually most of the work was done for me.

I bought a custom Ponda Boba from ebay. He had a Garindan body & Ponda Boba head, hands and vest.

I popped the Ponda head and replaced it w/ a Bossk head...instant Saurin. I'll post a pic soon.