PDA

View Full Version : FAKE E2 review online - don't fall for this

bibfortuna
04-18-2002, 10:40 AM
I don't usually post in this area, but I just wanted to alert everybody to something...

I occasionally visit the website www.somethingawful.com

It's usually ok, kind of witty.

BUT, they have a new campaign going on -"TruthMedia". What they do is write a review on something that has very, ahem, enthusiastic and loyal fans, and post it as a real review.

It has errors that are intentionally introduced - in order to **** off the fans. Their entire goal is to accumulate flame mail from fans, then they post the mail later, saying the fans look stupid.

I know some people here are very passionate about SW, (I am) to the point of writing a rebuttal about a "wrong" review (I would not).

I just wanted to let you all know that this is up, and to NOT respond to it, because it is fake, and because they are just baiting us, trying to get a reaction.

Here's the link to the review:
http://www.somethingawful.com/truthmedia/starwars2/

Here's the link to the home page where they say that it's a bogus review, and to tell SW fans about it to get a reaction:

http://www.somethingawful.com/

bibfortuna
04-18-2002, 10:42 AM
I don't usually post in this area, but I just wanted to alert everybody to something...

BUT, they have a new campaign going on -"TruthMedia". What they do is write a review on something that has very, ahem, enthusiastic and loyal fans, and post it as a real review.

It has errors that are intentionally introduced - in order to **** off the fans. Their entire goal is to accumulate flame mail from fans, then they post the mail later, saying the fans look stupid.

I know some people here are very passionate about SW, (I am) to the point of writing a rebuttal about a "wrong" review (I would not).

I just wanted to let you all know that this is up, and to NOT respond to it, because it is fake, and because they are just baiting us, trying to get a reaction.

Here's the link to the home page where they say that it's a bogus review, and to tell SW fans about it to get a reaction:

stillakid
04-18-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by bibfortuna

Isn't this like saying, "Damn, this water's hot! Touch it and see for yourself" or "Now kids, don't do this, but here's a site that tells you how to make a bomb. Don't visit it."

Just havin' fun. Thanks for the heads up. It'll be fun to see how many people fall for it. Thanks!

Sith Lord 0498
04-18-2002, 01:30 PM
All I have to say about these guys is....

"What a bunch of %&^)(#) @#&$))# @(*#$)_*# *%$)%)#$U#!!!!!!"

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...

#(&$#*($)@!!!

Ok, I feel better now. :D

Wolfwood319
04-18-2002, 01:31 PM
I thought it was friggin' hilarious!!!:crazed:

Mandalorian Candidat
04-18-2002, 04:23 PM
That "review" was sooo over-the-top I don't think many will. They should have been more subtle and less outrageous (Ahmed Best as a negro with designs on a white woman?!) to give a more believeable critique.

Mike Troxell
04-18-2002, 04:36 PM
Bib---darn you! I was actually going to post a link without a disclaimer :(

It's all in good fun. I love that site.

And all of their TruthMedia reviews are equally over-the-top. They just posted the first collection of hate mail from their review for Radiohead's Amnesiac CD. It does indeed work, thankfully. Funny stuff.

But ruined for this board now :mad:

sith_killer_99
04-18-2002, 04:49 PM
Not impressed, sorry.

:rolleyes:

Mike Troxell
04-18-2002, 05:38 PM
I wish someone would have posted this as an actual review instead of a disclaimer. It would have been funny to see who takes themselves too seriously on this board :)

(At least you get the joke, Wolfwood)

Omega Fett
04-18-2002, 06:20 PM
"The big lesson here is that pre-teens sleeping with older women is A-OK in everybody's book"

uh ok maybe i added wrong,inst anakin like 19 and padme like 26? (even though Portman is like 19 in real life lol)??

even though iam 17 and my dating age i would go is 15-30

LMAO lol :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

Dark Knight
04-18-2002, 06:28 PM
IAnakin and the Princess have no chemistry, which isn't surprising considering the great differences in their age. Was Portman ever investigated on child abuse charges? " It's very hard to believe that the pair eventually spawns heroic Han Solo and lovely Princess Liea. "

I think that say's it all

Taichi
04-18-2002, 08:52 PM
The mistakes were deliberate.....

I too, think this is hilarious!

Mike Troxell
04-18-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Dark Knight
IAnakin and the Princess have no chemistry, which isn't surprising considering the great differences in their age. Was Portman ever investigated on child abuse charges? " It's very hard to believe that the pair eventually spawns heroic Han Solo and lovely Princess Liea. "

I think that say's it all

I think you missed the whole point! They give false information in just about every sentence just to inflame people who take their hobbies too far--previous examples have been Linux, The Simpsons, and Radiohead. They post all of the stupid flame e-mails they get and mercilessly mock them. Huzzah!

2-1B
04-19-2002, 12:27 AM
Oops, I thought this thread was gonna be about Harry Knowles. :rolleyes:

I'll take a look at it now . . .

Well, it starts off very funny but then grows tiresome. If they want to draw the ire of someone, perhaps the review should be brief and subtle. :)

mabudonicus
04-19-2002, 04:26 PM
Has anyone seen "the official site gag"? The URL is kinda nutty, but a search should turn it up. If you haven't seen it, check it out. I find it totally hilarious, and it's family safe and all. Good fun for all. WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Jargo
04-20-2002, 03:19 PM
Purile college boy stuff. It's not big and it's not clever. I'm not offended by the fact they try to rile fans into reacting so they can have a laugh. I'm just bored basically. A little more intelligence in the writer may have actually added some wit to this exercise. The premise is quite amusing but the execution is flat out amateur.

NEXT!