PDA

View Full Version : Michael Crichton novels?

Battle Droid
04-18-2002, 05:59 PM
Who reads Michael Crichton novels? What are your favorites?

I have JP, TLW, Congo, and have read Sphere.

JP & TLW are my 2 favs.

Mike Troxell
04-18-2002, 08:59 PM
Yeah, I like Crichton. I read Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Congo, and Disclosure. I have to say Jurassic Park and Disclosure were my favorites.

Wolfwood319
04-18-2002, 09:01 PM
I've read JP, TLW, Congo, Sphere, Eaters of the Dead (13th Warrior), and Rising Sun.

I'm not a huge novel reader, but I do like everything I've read by him.

THE Slayer
04-18-2002, 09:16 PM
Wasn't the congo book so so so much better than that movie. I was so sad after seeing that movie. The lost world also fits in that category.

SWAFMAN
04-18-2002, 09:17 PM
Timeline & Airframe were cool. Especially Timeline. I thought The Lost World was pretty lame.

Battle Droid
04-18-2002, 10:09 PM
Wasn't the congo book so so so much better than that movie. I was so sad after seeing that movie. The lost world also fits in that category.

I agree for both movies, the movies just defaced the novels.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-18-2002, 10:38 PM
Can Crichton write a bad novel? I really like all his stuff. Rising Sun is definitely my favorite fiction book with Airframe and Timeline coming up a close second. TLW was good, but I felt is was written solely because Universal put pressure on him to produce another JP.

Has anyone read his nonficiton books? I've read Travels and would like to read Jasper Johns and Five Patients. Travels is a trip (no pun intended). He has some of the most interesting stories I've ever heard, expecially about when he was in med school.

Great writer. Probably the best fiction writer of this era.

SWAFMAN
04-18-2002, 11:17 PM
re: ManCan's:

TLW was good, but I felt is was written solely because Universal put pressure on him to produce another JP.

Exactly! It came across as a "contract obligation" book, where the author doesn't seem particularly motivated to write the book, but signed a deal requiring he does so. Every once in a while I come across a book by a popular author that has that feel. Rainbow Six, by Clancy, was another one.

Eternal Padawan
04-19-2002, 08:28 AM
Chichton is cool because you can see the exhaustive research that goes into his books on multiple levels. Not only does he have to research the possibilities of futuristic technological breakthroughs in time travel, he has to research historical France for the same book. And make it hyper accurate. Excellent writer.

Rising Sun (excellent book, mediocre movie)
Disclosure (excellent book, mediocre movie)
Jurassic park (excellent book and movie)
Congo(decent book, craptastic camp as a movie)
Eaters of the Dead (interesting deconstruction of Beowulf as a book, horrid as 13th Warrior movie)
Sphere( mediocre as a book, horrid as a movie)
Lost World (mediocre as a book, laughable as a movie, although the movie wasn't really based on his book)
Timeline(excellent book, here's hoping the movie is good)
Airframe (pretty good book, derivative of Disclosure to my mind, where is the movie?)

Mandalorian Candidat
04-19-2002, 10:26 AM
I'm going to catch holy heck for saying this, but I thought the JP movie was pure excrement. It was probably because I read the book before seeing the movie and that the movie left out soooo much good stuff. I was really disappointed that Spielberg didn't put more from the book into the movie.

As for his other books-to-movie adaptations...
Congo was ludicrous
Didn't see Sphere, seems like a joke
TLW was better than JP, IMO, especially because they had that TRex running through San Diego and because it wasn't based on the book at all
13th W - didn't see it but would like to just to satisfy my curiosity
Rising Sun - Marginal, they could have done better
Andromeda Strain - I vaguely remember this movie and thought it was good
Great Train Robbery - Good flick with Sean Connery (Poooossshhhhy Galore)
Terminal Man - Pretty good also
Disclosure - Pretty good, didn't like Demi Moore.

EP, are you saying that Timeline is being made into a movie? Have any details? OK, I'll take bets right now 10 to 1 odds it'll be a stinker like Congo.

Wooooof
04-20-2002, 06:30 AM
I've read Jurassic Park (excellent book and a good movie, even though John Hammond's character was completely rewritten) and Eaters of the Dead (probably one of my all time favorite books, but you're right Rol- *er* EP ;), the movie was disappointing).