PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Shuttle

El Chuxter
04-18-2002, 07:27 PM
First, before I start ranting, thanks for actually getting the Shuttle made.

That said, I just have to say. . .

WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO, KILL US?!?!?

$125? $125? This is going to be the most expensive retail price for any Star Wars toy since the POTF2 line began.

I mean, the Queen's Starship (the next most expensive piece) was in triple digits, but it was fully electronic and had a cool pack-in figure!

The Shuttle is having nothing? And yet costs about the same as some people's car payments?

You listened to us on the Shuttle, but have you listened to anything else? Exclusives are bad, and FAO exclusives are the worst of the bunch! This is a vehicle that shouldn't retail for more than, say, $70. And yet, thanks to it being an exclusive at FAO, it's almost twice that.

And with a production run of 5,000, it will never be available at clearance prices!

Most people can't get to a FAO. They're not conveniently located whatsoever, and some of us like to actually see our triple-digit toys before buying them. You've turned many a collector away from being completists with fiascos like Masters of the Dark Side, the Eopie, and most of the later CommTech figures. Not to mention the "I should sell for $35 but I'm $80" Fambaa. Looks like you're going for the rest of 'em.

Thanks, Hasbro. I think I speak for the majority of collectors when I say I'd have preferred no Shuttle to a $125 FAO Shuttle.

SithDroid
04-18-2002, 07:53 PM
I agree, especially a limited run of the shuttle. If the production number was a lot higher then perhaps people would buy them, but only at a lower price. $125 for a piece of plastic. Come on now. I'd rather pay that for a vintage one. Plus if it the same mold it isn't that large. It certainly is smaller than the AT-AT and that retailed for $80 when it was released. I certainly won't be picking this up, especially at FAO one of the worst Toy stores I've ever shopped in. Everything is overpriced there to begin with and I hardly see how they sell anything. Here's one thing I have to say Hasbro:

STOP THE EXCLUSIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I, and so are many other collectors, am tired of exclusives. Especially by KB since they charge a ton for their regular priced figures and also FAO because they are high priced AND they are not located as easily as other stores.

No shuttle at all would be better than this overpriced piece of plastic.

DarthMaulSithLord
04-18-2002, 09:25 PM
"We no liken the Hasbro's. They think their so smarty, they tink their brains is so big".

:(

Battle Droid
04-18-2002, 09:56 PM
Tell me who wouldn't buy it in stores if it wasn't an exclusive, though with that price no one will probably buy it anyway.

Wooooof
04-19-2002, 04:11 AM
I've seen the Shuttle and it is larger than the AT-AT; but that still doesn't justify $125. In fact Jargo has a picture of a Shuttle and AT-AT comparison that bigbarada sent him. If one of them still has the picture maybe they can post it.

Playmates pulled this same stunt with their Star Trek:TNG line when they released the '1701' figures. Figures that had a production run of only 1701. It was intended to give collectors that one elusive item for their collections; but it simply helped kill off interest in the line.

5000 units is hardly enough to satisfy every SW collector in the world!!! Is Hasbro on crack? Or do they just not care anymore? Maybe both!

After all these years of collecting, reading this news today was like a blow to the gut. It even takes a little bit of the luster off of a new SW film premiering in less than a month. Thanks Hasbro, you suck!!:mad:

Eternal Padawan
04-19-2002, 12:28 PM
Dear Hasbro, can you read this?

HASBRO SUCKS!

EXCLUSIVES SUCK!

FAO SUCKS!

LIMITED RUNS SUCK!

I hope it's clear enough so you don't need your reading glasses...:mad:

SithDroid
04-19-2002, 12:55 PM
LOL EP.

JediTricks
04-19-2002, 04:56 PM
This is the first issue I've come across in SW collecting where I wish I were on an adults-only forum because what I have to say to Hasbro, if what we're hearing is true, has a curse word every 3 words.

In my opinion, that price point is insane and using FAO for this is cruel to fans. All I want to do is yell "I hate you!" over and over at the top of my lungs in Hasbro's Rhode Island headquarters.

Eternal Padawan
04-20-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by SithDroid
LOL EP.

Believe me, 7 font is as high as it goes, or it would have been bigger.:mad:

Jargo
04-20-2002, 02:51 PM
I thought it went as high as eight... no matter. i'm posting the shuttle pic here so that Hasbro can see that it really shouldn't cost any more than the AT-AT. It may be a couple of inches taller but there's not any more plastic to it. take the electronics out and what you have is a vehicle that should retail for no more than $50 tops. Plastic is cheap re-using a mold is cheaper still. Sticking the fingers up to faithful collectors is cheaper than cheap. let alone making it a US store exclusive and excluding the rest of the world. It even manages to exclude Americans too which is quite some feat for a large company. It's basically insult to the injury of the AOTC figures with wild poses that are scene specific to an insane degree and riddled with useless gimmicks and 'play' features that basically kill the figure line dead.

Is that what hasbro wanted? To kill the toy line? Why not just stop producing then, it probably would have been kinder. Words cannot express my anger right now. My anger at four Target exclusive figures that I'll never see. An FAO exclusive vehicle I'll never see. And as stated the gimmicks and features of the AOTC line. I'd like to shake the hand of the person responsible for all this. It's truly an achievement to totally wreck a complete toy line.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=46257

Darth Evil
04-20-2002, 03:44 PM
I agree with Jargo, most of us outside the USA will never even have the chance to buy the Shuttle, and most of us would kill for it. Keep up the good work Hasbro, you'll bury yourselves soon.

Beast
04-20-2002, 04:01 PM
The items arn't exclusive outside of the US, most of the time. That's why on-line retailers like PAF, Yestertoys, Brian's Toys and numerous others can offer them. Infact Brian's toys is currently pre-selling the shuttle. They can get it directly from Hasbro by being a official hasbro dealer. You may want to look into that, if your not located in the US. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jat Jar Binks

Wooooof
04-20-2002, 04:04 PM
Thanks for posting the pic Jargo! You're right, there is no reason why it should cost more than the AT-AT (or Queens Starship for that matter), especially without any electronics. I've wanted a Shuttle for years but not bad enough to fall for this crap. Just how gullible does Hasbro think we are?:mad:

derek
04-20-2002, 04:24 PM
jargo,

what are the 4 target exclusives? did i miss something? your're not referring to the 12 inch line are you? i thought you didn't like those.:) maybe i can answer my question? is it the:

1. skiff?
2. y-wing?
3. b-wing?
4. 12 inch speederbike?

Jargo
04-20-2002, 04:52 PM
No derek, the cantina connectable sections with figures. Kitik Keed'kak, Momaw nadon, Greedo and Ponda Baba. Set for a summer release I hear.

JarJar, Even if Brians toys do have the shuttle on pre-order, the prices there are no better than at FAO and there's still the question of the cost of importing the thing to this country. Point is, it should have been a TRU release and made global. The demand is high enough but only for a fair price for the actual product. I'm sure a few will make it to the UK via the scalpers and comic stores and that's going to be even more expensive. I was told that a Fambaa would set me back 150 (that's about $220.00) by one comic store. Needless to say I didn't bother with it. If that's what the Fambaa went for, then can you imagine how high the cost of the shuttle?
It's insane. These are toys not Rembrandt paintings. I expect high prices for vintage figures and ships, even old figures from the POTF line because they're discontinued stock. This is a new item and it's almost at vintage cost to me. I have to question the thinking behind this exclusive or my mind will buckle trying to fathom it for myself otherwise.

jedi_uk73
04-20-2002, 05:16 PM
F*****G Hasbro

They always seem to muck up everyones hope and dreams of owning an Imperial Shuttle.

How about giving the rest of the world a chance. I agree with you Emperor Jargo. It's been hard and expensive enough to get exclusives over here, and now we find out only 5000 are being produced. What a rip off.

Just goes to show how much Hasbro know about us collectors.

Come on Hasbro, there is more than 5000 collectors in the world.

And stop them BLOODY shop exclusives

odb
04-21-2002, 03:38 PM
So we are getting a new Shuttle...... good thing.

Limited to 5000 and available only in restricted stores at high prices...........???????

Who makes these decisions and what logic do they use????? Making a vehicle or figure in limited numbers just doesn't make sense for a company the size of Hasbro. Why go through all the hassle of producing one of the largest and most anticipated vehicles and then restrict who can get it.

All Hasbro has done is try to make a quick buck by abusing those collectors who have supported it over the years.

Being in the UK, I've got F*** all chance of geting this even if I pay through my nose. There are collectors outside of the US Hasbro, you could at least made it easily available to us, or to those in the US for that matter.

Thanks Hasbro, it just shows you really don't care.

Dryanta
04-21-2002, 04:44 PM
I think Jargo may have been reffering to the 4 upcoming Troop Builder Target sets?I thought the cantina sets were Walmarts exclusives?Hope I'm not confusing the matter.I won't ever see the Target exclusives for retail anyway.I at least have a shot at the walmart stuff.This is really starting to suck big time.delete starting

evenflow
04-22-2002, 04:10 PM
The price is ridiculous. And as of now, no exclusive figures included. I will probably pass on this one unless they announce it is coming with 2 Imperial Dignitaries. Either way the price is still sick.

Taichi
04-27-2002, 11:08 AM
Kinda makes ya miss Kenner, dunnit?

Sidiously Darth
04-30-2002, 02:50 PM
If the Shuttle is limited to 5000 pieces, why are any of the online retailers getting them? If all this is true, that means the online retail scalpers will get most of the product leaving a case or 2 for each FAO store. Under such limited conditions, it should be limited to FAO and their website (for those outside the U.S.) and only 1-2 per household/address/business, etc.

Talk about being raped by a company! Don't people go to jail for that?!

RooJay
04-30-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Darth Evil
I agree with Jargo, most of us outside the USA will never even have the chance to buy the Shuttle, and most of us would kill for it. Keep up the good work Hasbro, you'll bury yourselves soon.
Most of us IN the USA will never have the chance to buy one, let alone afford one! Things seems pretty tough financially right about now, so why is Hasbro choosing this as a time to release such an expensive item (not that it warrants such an expensive price) when they've never before been so keen on giving us higher priced items? All that's going to happen is that most of these are going to end up in the hands of scalpers (yes, all 5000 units WILL sell! Probably almost instantly.) which will drive the price for the vast majority of collectors even higher! I don't know about most of you guys, but I'm not made of that kind of money. Looks like I'll never have the shuttle.

underdog25
05-04-2002, 10:21 PM
If Hasbro was smart they WOULD release it at a lower price point and mass retail. Bottom line on that would be everyone is happy and has one, no one pays alot on the secondary market and Hasbro makes a killin' on sales. Say $49.99 and avalible mass retail, don't include figures or electronics so the price stays low. If they want a FAO one add some figures, electronics and change the mold to add to it. How about lights on the wing-tips, 4 seats in the cockpit, 2 or 3 times as big, etc. Hang a large price tag on it and let FAO sell all 5000. Give us working class a chance at our dream AND the outside the US collectors too:-) Any thoughts??? I think Hasbro listens and will help us out. Keep in mind the TRU exclusive 12" Dewback sat on the shelves for 1.5 years before anyone bought it. What is that, "I only bought it cause it went from $79.99 to $29.97!" How did that Famba do at FAO? Did it have a $99 price point and didn't sell it it went on clearance????

bigbarada
05-05-2002, 01:59 AM
The 12" Stormtrooper with Dewback was a piece of crap, which is why I never bought one, not even at $30.

The Shuttle should be rereleased as a TRU exclusive if anything; but preferably a mass market release. Doubtful enough retailers would support it though, so TRU exclusive may be the only way to go if Hasbro doesn't want to gouge the fans.

Isn't the idea of FAO taking orders and accepting credit card numbers for an item that isn't even produced yet a bit..... I don't know? ILLEGAL?

SithDroid
05-05-2002, 11:28 AM
Boo to FAO and Boo to Hasbro for letting something like this happen. 5,000 Shuttles is hardly the amount to meet demand. Plus the $125 price. That is ridiculous. All I have to say is that Hasbro is beginning to lose my business. I missed out on the 25th Anniversary Darth Vader due to the stupid Fan Club and now I will probably miss out on the Jorg Sacul Celebration II figure because only the ones who have the time and "money" to go will be able to get him. Now the whole 5,000 Shuttle business. I am thoughroughly disgusted by you Hasbro for letting something like this happen. Just remember, it is the collector that will be here for the long haul while kids only buy figures every once in a while. Also collectors usually buy multiples. So when you look at it, who should you please more, the avereage consumer or the collector? I know that I myself have bought around $10,000 worth of Star Wars merchandise since the POTF2 line started. All it takes is to start upsetting loyal collectors to lose some MAJOR business. Heck if everyone spent about the same amount as I, then if 10 colectors quit for the next 8 years then thats $100,000 you will lose. If you anger 100, $1,000,000 in losses. I'm just using this as an example. But the numbers could be quite higher seeing as there are millions of Star Wars collectors out there in the world. Sorry, but I'm just trying to put it in perspective for you.

Sidiously Darth
05-05-2002, 01:23 PM
I'm sure most of you have read by now the FAO stuck its perverbial foot in its mouth. They're still in negotiations over this thing. Anyone that put a preorder on it was sorely mislead.:rolleyes:

bigbarada
05-05-2002, 01:54 PM
Now that I have my kevlar suit and facemask on, I would like to say: In Hasbro's defense, **ducks rotten tomato** they would love to release the Shuttle to every store in America, however the retailers won't support it. Most of them felt the sting of the Ep1 glut and don't see how a toy from a 19 year old movie could have any appeal. FAO seems to be the greedy ones, who are trying to milk the fans for every penny. They jumped the gun and caused this backlash for Hasbro, so hopefully Hasbro pulls the Shuttle from them. However, I'm not to sure any other retailer wants to touch it. :(

As seems to be becoming my mantra, "Don't blame Hasbro; blame Wal-Mart and K-Mart and TRU and Kay-Bee, etc." Remember Hasbro has to sell the toys to these non-fan, non-collector, CEO-business-types before it can sell them to us.

Beast
05-05-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Now that I have my kevlar suit and facemask on, I would like to say: In Hasbro's defense, **ducks rotten tomato** they would love to release the Shuttle to every store in America, however the retailers won't support it. Most of them felt the sting of the Ep1 glut and don't see how a toy from a 19 year old movie could have any appeal. FAO seems to be the greedy ones, who are trying to milk the fans for every penny. They jumped the gun and caused this backlash for Hasbro, so hopefully Hasbro pulls the Shuttle from them. However, I'm not to sure any other retailer wants to touch it. :(

As seems to be becoming my mantra, "Don't blame Hasbro; blame Wal-Mart and K-Mart and TRU and Kay-Bee, etc." Remember Hasbro has to sell the toys to these non-fan, non-collector, CEO-business-types before it can sell them to us.
Well said BigB, people always take the easy way out and blame Hasbro or Lucas on everything, when it's primarily the stores who's fault it was for the massive glut of E1 merchandise, and then the wasteland of HTF figures with the POTJ waves. I hate the idea FAO got it, and hope as you said that Hasbro is majorly upset with how FAO handled the pre-sellling of a ship that they haven't even produced yet.

Frankly I'm starting to think the Fan Club would be the best place for the Imperial Shuttle. I'm sure they would be alot less then FAO wants for the Shuttle. They could also cut out the middle man and make sure that the shuttles got into the hands of the fans. Just do like they did with the Oola sets, just offer pre-orders, and then produce them so that all the people that want one can get one.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthBrandon
05-05-2002, 02:17 PM
I agree with everyone who posted on the shuttle matter even though i have the original one, i will not buy into this stupid move by Hasbro to rip the consumer off with a limited exclusive of only 5000 shuttles to FAO. If they do indeed do this as it has been rumored.

Hasbro Sucks and it is rare that they listen to the general public on matters that should concern them.

This is truly the path to the dark side.

bigbarada
05-05-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by brandon
I agree with everyone who posted on the shuttle matter even though i have the original one, i will not buy into this stupid move by Hasbro to rip the consumer off with a limited exclusive of only 5000 shuttles to FAO.

Hasbro Sucks and it is rare that they listen to the general public on matters that should concern them.

This is truly the path to the dark side.

Umm, haven't you been reading current events? It was only a rumor and FAO jumped the gun. Hasbro announced that while they were in talks with FAO, NOTHING HAS BEEN COMFIRMED YET.

I think people should take the time to research exactly how the toy industry works before ignorantly bashing Hasbro.

DarthBrandon
05-05-2002, 02:45 PM
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions about Hasbro

Beast
05-05-2002, 02:46 PM
Hardly anyone seems to bother reading anymore BigB, that would stop their ability to complain about things if they actually took the time to do it. It's just much easier for them to treat Hasbro and Lucas/Lucasfilm like a redheaded stepchild, if they don't know what's going on. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthBrandon
05-05-2002, 02:56 PM
Just giving my opinion shouldn't bother anybody, i only collect now for my 4 year old son because he likes it now as much as i did before exclusives dropped my collecting excitement (spelling)

I do not claim to be a Brain on all this like some of you guys but hey it's just a place to vent right?

I never said i disliked George but i really can't stand Hasbro for various reasons and if you want them posted i can do that.

RooJay
05-05-2002, 04:02 PM
The bottom line is that Hasbro can and WILL only produce as much product as the retailers order. That's the whole purpose of the annual New York Toy Fair. Any items that don't receive enough orders for the manufacturer to make a decent amount of money on is canceled. Retailers are ultimately responsible for what we are offered, how many are produced, and how much it costs us. That having been said, Hasbro probably should take a bit more time and do a bit more research when deciding which retailers to deal with when it somes to exclusives.

SNAYSON
05-06-2002, 09:31 AM
i like the idea of a possible release of the imperial shuttle, but the price is not cool if it is going to be that much. I would still buy it but "ouch" that really hurts the wallet for a bunch of plastic parts! As long as it's obtainable unlike the Vader Toy Fair edition and the Convention only Jorg Sacul, i'm for the imperial shuttle.

PS: Hasbro, if your reading this, include a Imperial Shuttle pilot. :crazed:

underdog25
05-07-2002, 09:21 AM
Total agreement on Hasbro and Lucas. Hasbro would sell ANYTHING to make a $. It is the retailers that won't accept it. Some suit who grew up with lincoln logs and tinker toys and watched howdy dudie is the one make the decisions to buy the next "great" toy. He has no vision because it is blured with the Ep 1 toys line. Everyone lost on it so why bother with some big, overpriced toy from 19 years ago?! You go Hasbro and keep trying to get us what we want.

SNAYSON
05-07-2002, 09:47 AM
THIS IS A DOUBTFUL AND WISHFUL THOUGH: HOW ABOUT A NEW REDESIGNED IMPERIAL SHUTTLE?

it's a Long shot that would not see the light of day but it was a thought.

What about the imperial shuttle in "A New Hope" dropping off imperial troops? :confused:

RooJay
05-07-2002, 02:01 PM
You mean the Imperial Landing Craft?
NAH! We want the Shuttle!

SNAYSON
05-07-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by RooJay
You mean the Imperial Landing Craft?
NAH! We want the Shuttle!

YEAH! THAT'S WHAT I MEANT, THE LANDING CRAFT!
yeah GIVE us the imperial shuttle!!