PDA

View Full Version : The SSG BATTLE OF THE MACHINES Round 1 - Fight 12!!!

Tycho
04-19-2002, 06:11 AM
The last time a Dark Lord of the Sith entered an SSG Battle of the Machines contest, he was challenged, but not defeated!

Darth Vader's TIE Fighter has just barely defeated the Y-wing Fighter in the closest match in the history of the Battle of the Machines!

Now Darth Maul will turn on his old allies from the Battle of Naboo as he takes on the Trade Federation and fights the Battle Droid on a S.T.A.P. attack craft from aboard his custom Sith Speeder!

Keep in mind that the focus of this fight will be Hasbro's mastery of a toy vehicle, not a character's command of the Force.

This should be a pretty fair fight!

Darth Maul's Sith Speeder features the pack-in Sith Lord with his signature double-bladed lightsaber and a cloth cloak. Additionally, Maul's craft can launch one Darkeye Probe Droid from a hidden compartment on board, which spring-shoots the droid into action at the press of a button! Darth Maul's prey will not escape him!

The Single Trooper Ariel Platform sits on a clear plastic stand to simulate flight. The stand also activates a remote control that can move the pack-in Battle Droid into action, and fire the crafts twin laser cannons. They simulate fire with two launching projectiles that can easily knock over most action figures - even the ones with lightsabers, if the Force is not with them!

So which action craft is more exciting to you?

In our last 'lightweight' match-up in the Preliminaries, Darth Maul's Sith Speeder takes on the Trade Federation's STAP!

You pick the winner now!

magci-middle
04-19-2002, 08:13 AM
Though the Sith Speeder has Darth Maul, it just isn't much of a toy. Sure it can sit on the shelf and float Maul but the STAP has more personality to it although the Battle Droid is just there. Between the toys, the STAP is just better

Dak Powers
04-19-2002, 08:30 AM
I didn't like Maul. I think he was a mistake like Jar Jar. He had the personality of a cardboard box, and I don't think Lucas was smart to introduce this new huge bad guy without giving us any information at all about him other than he was a Sith and an apprentice to Sidious. Just me, probably. Since the battle droids had more personality than Maul, their STAPs get my vote (They're cooler toys anyways)

jedi master sal
04-19-2002, 08:31 AM
I have to say with the stand and action features the S.T.A.P. has, it far outweighs what the sith speeder has to offer. The speeder however is going to get those "sympathy" votes form people who like the character of Darth Maul while not really considering the toys. As far as playability goes they are near equal. Design wise again fairly equal but the S.T.A.P. is at least a break from the norm, instead of some sit down on your duff vehicle the pilot must stand. I know it's a droid but I'd like to see Maul do that, at least it would prove his endurance and abilities (which never really were tested). So....

Make my vote the S.T.A.P. All around a "marginally" better toy. (A slim margin it is.)

Mandalorian Candidat
04-19-2002, 11:14 AM
Well, it looks like most people are voting with their "lightsabers" again. Anything with "Imperial" or "Sith" on it seems to automatically get the votes. I'm going the opposite way and saying that the STAP wins hands down. It's a really cool looking attack vehicle that really has no comparison to any other vehicle in the vintage or neoclassic lines. How many people were so excited to see this first toy from the prequel movies for the first time? Compare that with the first time you saw the sith speeder. *yawn*

I didn't really care that much about the speeder in the movie, but the STAP I wish had more screen time, like maybe blowing up hoards of Gungans in the final battle scene.

The speeder is OK, and we did get a soft goods cloaked Maul with it, but it doesn't look as good or have the playability that the STAP has.

Verdict: STAP pulverizes the 1D Maul cycle in two shots.

Beast
04-19-2002, 12:58 PM
Gonna have to go with the STAP on this one, I just really liked the unique design of the vehicle in the movies. Wish that we would have seen more of it in action. And the toy was great, the stand that worked the action features and moved the pilot up and down was a marvel.

Maul's Speeder was ho hum, and never really seemed all that cool to me in the movie. The toy was ok, but nowhere near as unique as the STAP. The Maul figure was nice, but I wish they would have given him a cloth lower robe.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

NiktosRule
04-19-2002, 01:23 PM
I'm shocked that the STAP is winning to this point. I have to vote for it as well. The Sith Speeder just isn't interesting plus I don't own it because it is plain. The STAP is very nice and has excellent playability.

On another note my favorite SW vehicle the Y-wing was eliminated.:cry:

Darthpaul
04-19-2002, 01:45 PM
I too vote for the STAP. Although I do like the speeder, other than the missile out the back, there really isn't much to it. The STAP has more moving parts and comes with cannon fodder (ie Battle Droid).

Paul

JetsAndHeels
04-19-2002, 01:56 PM
My vote goes to the STAP. The sith speeder has Darth Maul. So what? Its only in the film for like 5 seconds, plus the toy is boring!!
At least the stap has some playability. Lets see, I am going to re-enact the scene in TPM with the sith speeder.... here comes Maul on it, he flips off of it, there it goes, the end.
At least the STAP looks cool when you display it on a shelf or in a battle scene. The droid on it actually makes for a good display and makes a cool addition to any diorama. The sith speeder looks like Maul on a tricycle.
STAP all the way for me!!

CaptainSolo1138
04-19-2002, 02:04 PM
I loved the STAP! That's the only E1 small vehicle I still display. I just like the way it kinda hovers. Though the Batle Droid seems to have MD or some other muscle crippling disease, he looks cool when he's riding it. Remember when KB had, like, Mt. Everest sized stacks of STAPS? There's no point to that last comment. Just thought I'd add it to take my reply longer and more important.

JediTricks
04-19-2002, 03:58 PM
I really like both these toys, but the Maul speeder has more flexibility being able to hold more figures than just Maul, while the STAP's handles are too far apart (and too floppy) to hold any figure not sculpted for the job. Basically, it came down to which figure I liked most, and the droid with the STAP is too floppy. Close decision for me.

Battle Droid
04-19-2002, 09:14 PM
I vote for the STAP, Maul's speeder is boring and has that stupid gimmick on the back that wasn't in the film, nor does it have a stand like the STAP, to make it look as if it's hovering.

The STAP is accurate to the film.

I have 4 STAP'S (wish I had more) and only one Sith Speeder.

Wooooof
04-19-2002, 09:45 PM
I voted for the STAP, cuz I like the design and the floppy battle droid. I think the Trade Federation droids and ships were some of the few Ep1 elements that stayed true to the classic look of SW.

Obehave Kenobi
04-20-2002, 12:26 AM
This one was kinda tough. I voted based on the pack in figure, not the vehicle, as the vehicles are both kind of boring. I went with the speeder because Maul is actually useful without his craft. The battle droids limbs are a little to flimsy to be used without the STAP. On a side note, it was pretty clever of Hasbro to short pack the carded Maul so most of us had to get the speeder to have a figure of him:)

2-1B
04-20-2002, 12:44 AM
Well, if I vote based on the pack in figure (Maul with soft goods is way cooler than the floppy Droid), it's an easy call. But I really prefer the STAPs missiles to the Speeder's probe. Plus, I payed full price for the Preview STAP while the Speeder was a clearance pick up.

I'll go with the STAP. :)

Tycho
04-20-2002, 02:29 AM
Obehave Kenobi, Maul wasn't shortpacked. There were 32 figures in the Collection 1, Wave 1 supercase:

4 Mauls
4 Battledroids
4 Obi-Wans
4 Qui-Gons
4 JarJars
4 Anakins
4 Queens (Final Battle)
4 Padmes (Tatooine)

A possible variation on that case short-packed the women figures only, probably replacing them with more Battle Droids or Mauls as most likely.

The problem with the assortment is that there were 4 different paint variations on the BattleDroids, and 1 collector would scoop up the whole case of them - while the Droid remained an army builder in demand, too.

And with Maul, it was people thinking he'd be valuable, a variation treasure hunt, or whatever, and cleaning them all out at 7:01 am (Wal*Mart), 8:01 am (Target), and 9:31 am (Toys R Us).

In our polls we ran, 16% of the collectors that are regular readers of this page buy all their figures at this time. About 42% said it was ok if the early-bird hoarded them all, and since the army builder statistics don't apply to Darth Maul, that means about 7% of the collectors hoarded all the Maul's (scalpers arriving at the same time as these 7%, but not including them - meaning it could have been even harder for "the seven."

Now Maul constituted 12.5 % of the case, and the BattleDroids another 12.5%.

JarJar was not selling, Padme and Anakin were arguably slower from the outset. I'll give it to Queen Amidala (Final Battle) - she was doing alright, because talk was "ohh, she's the Queen! She's Luke and Leia's mother...etc." And Amidala was selling better than Anakin, Padme, or JarJar (especially).

But each of these figures constituted 12.5% of the case, or 37.5% all together.

So it only takes 2 cases cleaned out of Darth Maul and BattleDroids by the early crew, to leave a full case count of figures that were NOT selling (compared to the others). So therefore stores looked at Star Wars, by individual item numbers (any single action figure) as only achieving sales equalling only 50% of what they purchase to stock. That's a pitiful shelf-performance!

Hasbro might have stocked the original cases:

8 Mauls
8 Battle Droids
4 Obi-Wans
4 Qui-Gons
2 Padme
2 Queens
2 Anakins
2 JarJars

But I guess who could tell? Afterall, the Anakin figure was the young Darth Vader - sort of like his "rookie card" but nobody figured it that way.

Putting the Queen at 2 per case, might have caused trouble early on - though not for the long haul.

And Hasbro thought JarJar was supposed to be a big hit with the kids. I'm not sure that he wasn't, but the collectors weren't going to support him shipping at 4 per case, and the kids had Pokemon on their minds, among other things. Let alone there weren't a whole collection of figures left on the pegs for them to assemble any kind of start at a new figure collecting hobby (that was exciting anyway) - because Maul was missing.

Yes the Sith Speeder did allow collectors the chance to get a Darth Maul figure that wasn't hoarded up as fast as the carded one. And it was pretty good quality, too. I don't even remember how I got my first Darth Maul figure. I got the Deluxe at Midnight Madness, but don't remember when I got the carded one. I was never a big Maul fan. I think he's cool, but I knew he was a background character before I ever saw the movie, so there wasn't "this big deal" about him for me.

The STAP was darn fun to play with and a great chase piece as a sneak-preview vehicle. With its special packaging etc, it was more exciting than the Jedi Starfighter's release this past month too. Plus the STAP came with a figure! (and no I'm not saying I like it better than the Jedi Starfighter - I don't even know if it will come to that match in the Battle of the Machines. The STAP still hasn't won this match yet). But I voted for the STAP over the Sith Speeder myself.

Wooooof
04-20-2002, 03:39 AM
Tycho's right, Maul wasn't shortpacked, he was just being horded by scalpers who hoped to cash in on the line. But when the average non-collector got frustrated with not being able to find him, his popularity went "piff." After that Maul became one of the biggest pegwarmers. I was at TRU a few months ago when there were still buttloads of Ep1 figures on clearance. I was going through the pegs hoping in vain to find TC-14 or Sio Bibble, when I heard some other guy walk up and exclaim how he had been looking for Darth Maul forever and now he finally found one! But he no longer cared anymore, so he put the figure back and went to look at the GI Joe stuff.

I'm glad to see the STAP is winning. I almost voted for Maul's Speeder since it's one of the few Ep1 vehicles I still have. Not because I particularly like it, it just fell in a corner of my closet and got forgotten about for two years.:)

Beast
04-20-2002, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by Wooooof
Tycho's right, Maul wasn't shortpacked, he was just being horded by scalpers who hoped to cash in on the line. But when the average non-collector got frustrated with not being able to find him, his popularity went "piff." After that Maul became one of the biggest pegwarmers. I was at TRU a few months ago when there were still buttloads of Ep1 figures on clearance. I was going through the pegs hoping in vain to find TC-14 or Sio Bibble, when I heard some other guy walk up and exclaim how he had been looking for Darth Maul forever and now he finally found one! But he no longer cared anymore, so he put the figure back and went to look at the GI Joe stuff.
He also became a pegwarmer because he was one of the few figures to get shipped in a straightpack case. Both the regular Darth Maul and the Tatooine Darth Maul started shipped in straight cases when they was a massive demand from the stores to meet the demand of the fans. Once that happened the secondary price dropped and scalpers flodded the stores with returns of those 2 Maul's, leading to excessive amounts. Just another notch in the post that helped kill the E1 line. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
04-20-2002, 11:02 AM
So are we voting on just the vehicle or the vehicle/figure as a "toy". Adding that sweet Maul figure (the best Maul figure to be made IMO) puts the Speeder over the top. But if it was just Speeder vs Stap, welllll...The Speeder is in its box in another box in the closet, and the STAP is sitting on my shelf next to the TFA AAT and some battle droids. What does that tell you? It's a close call and who ever wins will get beat by the Z-74 Aratech speeder in the next round anyway. I vote STAP...barely.

Tycho
04-20-2002, 03:36 PM
Somebody picked the right match for the Quarterfinals...:sur:

Shhh. It's supposed to be a surprise, but yes I am matching the contestants up accordingly to their size and class until they get closer to the final rounds.

But yes, the winner in this Preliminary round will face the Aratech 74-Z in the next fight.

Personally, well....nevermind. When it's close I don't want to influence this in any way. When we get into the Semi-Finals and Finals, I don't know who's going to be left standing and what size or class of ship they may face. I like to be surprised, too.

It sure looks like the STAP is pulling a victory out of this match, now!

bigbarada
04-21-2002, 02:43 AM
I voted for the STAP, it's a pretty cool vehicle and I've always wondered why the Trade Federation didn't use them during the final battle of Ep1.

Maul's speeder is okay; but it's just kind of a "blah" design. Not saying the STAP is a friggin' work of art; but it is more interesting looking.

Darth Deering
04-24-2002, 05:58 PM
The speeder just looks a little cheesy! The STAP, on the other hand looks pretty authentic. It's just cooler!

Obehave Kenobi
04-27-2002, 04:06 AM
Wow. I will never make a statement like that again unless I can back it up with facts. Thanks for setting me straight, Tycho.