PDA

View Full Version : The New Superman Movie

Eternal Padawan
04-19-2002, 01:01 PM
Mired in Preproduction hell for half a decade or more. Originally Tim Burton was to direct Kevin Smith's script with Nick Cage in the lead. Now McG (of Charlie's Angels fame) is attached to direct and he's looking at Brendan Fraser to don the tights. Eugh.

Dryanta
04-19-2002, 01:03 PM
I am a big Dc Comics fan but they just can't seem to make a decent movie of any of their characters.
I am looking forward to the Hulk film next year.I probably wouldn't bother with this film

SithDroid
04-19-2002, 01:51 PM
Brendan Fasier. Yuck! And I though Nicholas Cage was a bad choice. How stupid are these people? Can we at least get someone to play the part that actually LOOKS like Superman. And one that can at least act. Brendan Frasier is a horrible actor. Why don't they just get Tom Welling, the guy playing him on Smallville. Sure he is playing a teenager on that show, but in real life he is 25 years old. Surely he could play older. Plus they could tie the series in with the Movie somehow. This is why DC movies have always been not that great. Poor WB has no clue how to do these things correctly. The first two Batman movies were good, but then the next two sucked. I swear they don't know how to run their business 1/2 the time. It's no wonder X-Men and Spiderman (hopefully) are better. The WB has nothing to do with them.

icatch9
04-19-2002, 02:07 PM
Brenden Frizier is better Nic Cage, no question. I think BF wouldn't do that bad. But I agree, most of the stuff WB has done with DC stuff has turned out bad. The only actor I know of who looks like Super Man is Puddy from Sienfeld, and I don't think he'd do a good job. Who knows maybe Superman will swoop in and save the day by playing himself.

LTBasker
04-19-2002, 03:25 PM
I respect both of these actors because they have had their movies; The Mummy, The Mummy Returns, Face/Off and The Rock were quite good movies, but for crying out loud, in no way can they be Superman!!!!!! It seems Cage is trying to get his face into some super hero movies as of lately, he also was trying to get the part of the Green Goblin in Spider-Man.

JetsAndHeels
04-19-2002, 03:49 PM
I am a big Superman fan, and I dont think Cage or Frasier would be good for the role. Not that they arent talented, but certain actors fit certain roles.
Now, as far as someone who looks like Superman, I have always thought Chris Klein had the look. Sure, he seems a little soft and geeky on the surface, but wasnt Clark Kent just like that? And this would be a perfect breakthrough role for him, just like Spider Man is going to be for Tobey McGuire.
Chris Klein. Does anyone else agree with me?

JediTricks
04-19-2002, 04:51 PM
I think Brendan Fraser is one of the best younger actors in hollywood, but he's not right for Supes (though I would buy him as a Christopher-Reeves-esque clumsy Clark Kent). I dunno, it just feels wrong, but then again, I wanted Jerry O'Connell to play Peter Parker instead of Tobey Maguire.

icatch9
04-19-2002, 05:21 PM
I agree JangoFett 96. Chris Klien does have the look and he is a decent actor. I just think he's to young. I don't know. When I think of Superman I think of a Man. Not a young man. A guy who is 30 something, but is still ageless. I think its going to be hard to find an well known actor who is 30 something 6'5' tall and 230 lbs of pure muscle with strikeing good looks and jet black hair.

SithDroid
04-19-2002, 07:58 PM
Chris Klein. Please for the love of god no! Let us at least have someone who can act and not sound like a surfer. Someone more suiablr, and more toward the age, would be Bruce Campbell. He already has a huge fan following, so that would bring people in.

derek
04-19-2002, 09:54 PM
i don't think a known actor would be good for this role. it would be better if they got an unknown, so our preconception of the guy didn't get in the way. chris reeve was an unknown, but in my opinion the best superman ever. i'm more concerned with a decent story and director.

if they hire some jackass like joel "schmucker" or put out crap like like superman 3 or 4 or batman 3 or 4, then they can keep it.

i read a while back that the creator of the ABC tv show "alias" is writing the screenplay. he does a good job with that show, so maybe there is hope.

Eternal Padawan
04-20-2002, 11:17 AM
SithDroid beat me to the Bruce Cambell suggestion. Look at the man's CHIN. He was Born to play Superman...

Perhaps I should have clarified. I agree that Brendan Fraser is a good actor. Ever see Gods and Monsters? Superb. But as SUPES he would be completely miscast. And "Good God! No!" to Chris Klein. Of course everybody thought Keaton was entirely wrong for Batman and he turned out to be the best of the bunch.

I think it's better to find an unknown than go with a "name"...

And no one has any comments about McG? I liked Charlie's Angels, so I'm not upset about him getting Superman. I just don't want it to be camp. Fun, yes, but not camp. I have enough faith in McG's directing ability to not go too overboard even though that's what he did with C'sA. I think he can rein it in and make a good Super Hero film.

scruffziller
04-20-2002, 04:14 PM
They should actually should try to get the guy playing Clark on Smallville to actually do it. Or Dean Cain.

187-Maul
04-20-2002, 08:27 PM
I too liked dean cain in the superman series alhtough he didn't look like the "clumsy clark kent"

JediTricks
04-21-2002, 11:29 PM
Dean Cain was adequate, but I don't know if he had enough charisma to carry a major motion picture. Still, he's established in the role, that helps.

I literally can't imagine Bruce Campbell playing Superman in a normal, non-funny way. Plus, his voice is so distinctively his.

I dunno, maybe Tim Daly (formerly of Wings and the voice of the animated Superman from 4 years ago) could pull it off if he bulked up. But probably going with someone who isn't a star and doesn't have the baggage would be the best way to go.

SWAFMAN
04-22-2002, 07:40 PM
I'd be up for seeing a Superman movie w/BFraser. I agree with Jedi Tricks & others that Fraser can act. I've liked him in most of the things I've seen. This has got to be one of tougher parts for any actor coming in, with the double-whammy of having to fill arguably the biggest shoes - superhero-wise - plus the sentimental issue of the CReeves situation. No way any choice is going to please everyone. I think Fraser showed a hint of the altruistic, sensitive side that would be crucial to a good Superman in his role in (don't laugh) Blast From the Past, and to a lesser extent, The Scout. I think he showed he can be a hero in the Mummy movies. But can he be a "super"hero? I dunno. But I'd be curious to see, and I'd be willing to give a fair shot.

One thing's for darn sure, I don't wanna see The Rock playing the part.

RooJay
04-22-2002, 09:28 PM
Sorry to say this guys, but Brendan Fraser has been my choice for a long time now, and I for one am happy to hear that he might get it! As far as celebrities go (and let's face it...they're never gonna cast an unknown in this part even though that's what it'd take to get the look perfect!) he, in my opinion, is as perfect as you could get. He's tall enough, bulks up quite nicely (remember George of the Jungle, can pull of the heroic look quite well, and would be believeable as the big, goofy, corn-fed Kansas farmboy that is the heart of the character. Now I'm concentrating on pushing for Billy Zane as Batman! A "GOOD" director could make the guys REALLY work, I think!

SWAFMAN
04-23-2002, 10:23 PM
Billy Zane as Batman (or as ANYTHING!)...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!

sorry to disagree, after you agreed with me on BFraser, RooJay.

i just
do

not

bzane

at all.
dunno why. don't care. just don't.

end of line.

RooJay
04-23-2002, 10:27 PM
Sorry!:D ...but in my opinion he's just got the right look, the right size, the right voice...everything!

SithDroid
04-23-2002, 10:30 PM
Michael Keaton was the PERFECT Batman. They should bring him back and get better directors seeing as the Batman Film Franchise turned to crap after Tim Burton and Michael Keaton left.

Wolfwood319
04-23-2002, 10:34 PM
If anyone ever read the Batman comics, they would see that Michael Keaton looks nothing like Batman.

Fraser certainly looks more like Supes than any other "Big Name" actor out there. Just dye his hair black. He looks very much like Ed McGuieness's version of Superman. I just don't think he's a very good actor.

Wolfwood319
04-23-2002, 10:35 PM
Just check out the other Batman thread going right now for the Batman movie.

RooJay
04-23-2002, 10:52 PM
Man Wolfwood, we're really vibing again! Thanks for the support. That's excatly what I was thinking!

SithDroid
04-24-2002, 10:45 AM
Michael Keaton IMO looked better in the batsuit as opposed to the other two. I agree that he didn't look like the sterotypical Bruce Wayne, but George Clooney was the WORST choice for that role.

As far as Fraser for Superman, I could see it, and although I don't quite like his acting it would probably be a good movie. I guess the only problem I have with Nichlolas Cage and Brendan Fraser as Superman is that they both have IMO really strange looking noses. Fasers even looks like it might be broken, and I hardly doubt Superman would have a broken nose.

My bid for Superman goes to Tom Welling though. He does a great job on Smallville AND I think he could play an older Superman. Heck he is around 25 in real life and he is playing a 15 year old. Plus they could wait until the show runs it course for when he graduates from Highschool and moves to Metropolis and THAT is where the movie could pck up. It is only my opinion though.

RooJay
04-24-2002, 03:26 PM
I honestly think George Clooney would've mad a great Batman! I place the blame squarley on the director in that case. I have this theory that there is no such thing as a bad actor, only bad directors. I've held to this theory for most of my life, and hope someday to prove it (providing I can become a good director!). This is why I feel so many "bad" actors turn in great performances every once in a while. Does anyone truly believe that Travolta is as great an actor as some make him out to be? Not me. He's cool and all, but I think if you just look back at his career his success or failure as a performer depends largely on the director he works with. The subject matter also plays a large part in this, but a GOOD director would never mis-cast an actor. My theory also states that a good director will know how to play to an actor's strengths. Of course my theory also depends on whether or not a particular person should even be acting in the first place! Some people call themselves actors (good, bad, or otherwise) when they are, in fact, not actors at all, and shouldn't even be in the business to begin with! My goal is to someday help Pauly Shore win an Oscar, thus proving my theory. :crazed: Although, maybe he's one of those ones who shouldn't be in the business!

SithDroid
04-24-2002, 06:48 PM
I agree RooJay. I myself an an actor and I absolutely can't stand some hollywood actors because they can't act, they just have a pretty face. Like Keanu Reeves for instance, or Chris Klein. Unfortunately in hollywood the LOOKS are more important than TALENT. I also agree about Travolta. He puts out some good stuff from time to time, but lately his movies are just not that great ex. Lucky Numbers, the General's Daughter, Domestic Disturbance, and that wonderful :rolleyes: movie Battlefield Earth. Sometimes I think that actors take roles just so they can get paid instead of actually doing a script that it decent. That is why my favorite actor in Hollywood today happens to be Johnny Depp. He only does scripts that he likes and he takes roles that normally no one would do, yet he actually puts thought into his characters unlike many actors today who just say the lines to the camera. I mean look at all the wonderful roles and films he's had, From Hell, Sleepy Hollow, Ed Wood, Edward Scissorhands, Benny & Joon, What's Eating Gilbert Grape?, Blow, etc.. I wish more actors in hollywood were like him.

SWAFMAN
04-24-2002, 09:45 PM
I agree, sithdroid. Depp is one of those actors I want to hate, but he keeps turning in good performances and I have to respect him for them. His work in Chocolat, Grape, Wood, Blow & especially D.J.DeMarco were very enjoyable, in my opinion. I just wish he'd named himself after something other than a brand of hair gel.

I thought Keaton's dark or brooding (or whatever you want to call it) portrayal of Batman was great, whether it was consistent with the comic book character or not. If he won't do it any more, I think Clooney could be ok if he tried to play the character like Keaton did. But Clooney played Batman too light, almost humorous at times, and that ticked me off. I hate it when a director or actor do that to a character. Like when Roger Moore turned Bond into a clown, with his mugging to the camera at times and crap like that.

Wolfwood319
04-24-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by SithDroid
and that wonderful :rolleyes: movie Battlefield Earth.

That's a minus 10 points for mentioning that film!:frus: For shame...

I have to admit, that I do like just about every Johnny Depp movie I've seen. He doesn't seem like a likeable person, but he does indeed churn out good performances.

I think Fraser does look the Superman part, but I just can't remember him every giving a good performance. (Those bad one-liners in the Mummy movies always come to mind.)

Michael Keaton did have the persona of Batman down, but he just didn't look like Bruce Wayne, IMO.

SithDroid
04-25-2002, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
I think Fraser does look the Superman part, but I just can't remember him every giving a good performance. (Those bad one-liners in the Mummy movies always come to mind.)

My point exactly. I've never seen a decent performance out of him, well except for Encino Man, but how hard was that.

RooJay
04-25-2002, 06:03 PM
So we're in agreement! All we need is a director that can get Fraser to turn out the kind of performance the character needs. I honestly think he can pull it off, but it most certainly is in the hands of the director. Which is why I have concerns about this McG guy. I mean Charlie's Angels was a fun movie, but was it really all that good, or well directed? This guy thinks he's too cool to have a full name! That's what we should be worried about in my opinion. Personally I'm partial to M. Night Shyamalan, but can he pull off bright and shiny as well as he does dark?

SithDroid
04-25-2002, 06:35 PM
Kevin Smith is the person that every studio should get to direct their Superhero films. I mean think about it. The man LOVES comics. He even wrote them for a while. He would at least be more in touch with the comic book reader fan base and stay true to the characters and not pull stupid stuff like Batman Forever and Batman and Robin.

ProHero
01-05-2003, 03:02 AM
Ben frazier is a pretty good choice. Ncage is really bad for the part. but the 100% garenteed director for the new movie is the jewish hip-hop director from miami, i cant remember his name though.
What does everyone think about the People's Champ being the the new superman? I mean superman is for the people and so is the rock. I mean he does have to improve his acting skills to be clarke kent. or how about vin diesel? he americas new action hero right? even that guy that played"the tick" & "putty" on seinfeld even though hes not a big name looks like he can fit the superman persona.

BD

Beast
01-05-2003, 03:29 AM
Just as long as they keep the Producer that was attached to the film a million miles away from the script. If you've checked out the "An Evening With Kevin Smith" DVD, Kevin Smith discusses what the guy wanted from Superman. He had some insane ideas for what way to go with Supes.

1. He didn't want to see him in the suit. Thought it was goofy and ***. Obviously the guy is a pure idiot, since Superman is defined by the suit. You show anyone the classic S chest symbol and they know it's Superman.

2. Didn't want to see him fly. Thought Superman being able to fly was stupid. He also had a few complaints about some of his other powers, but definatly didn't want to see Superman fly.

3. That Superman had to fight a giant Spider in the third act. Didn't care how cheesy that made the movie, the guy had some sort of freaky giant Spider fetish. Note he also was responsible for "Wild Wild West", a movie with a giant robotic Spider in the 3rd act.

4. When Kevin Smith was reading him the script, he talked about Kal-El at the beginning during the origins of Superman. The guy actually looked at him and asked who the hell Kal-El is. Now that is sad, the person producing Superman doesn't know simple stuff.

5. The Star Wars: Special Editions had just opened, and were doing hot business. He actually told Kevin Smith that they needed to make the Superman script more like Star Wars. He also liked Smith's movie Chasing Amy. So he wanted to combine the black guy's voice from Chasing Amy and R2-D2. He wanted to give this charecter to Brainiac as a *** robot companion, his exact words, "the movie needs a *** R2-D2". He also wanted a Chewbacca type charecter added in. :rolleyes:

6. During the middle of the movie, there was like 20-30 pages that didn't have an action scene. Superman is dead at this point, and Braniac is checking out the "Fortress of Solitude". The guy actually told Kevin Smith he needed an action scene here. Said that maybe Braniac should fight Superman's guards. Hello, Fortress of Solitude, Superman doesn't have guards. After being informed this, he told him to have Braniac fighting Polar Bears instead. :stupid:

Dear god no, keep the Rock away from the Superman franchise. He doesn't fit the part, and frankly can't act his way out of a wet paper bag. Same with Vin Diesel. Neither of them are right for the part. Besides, they are looking for a relative unknown for to play Supes. But for those reasons above, no matter who they get to play Supes. Keep that man away from the Superman franchise. :eek:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
01-05-2003, 03:52 AM
jar jar, that producer you're thinking of is jon peters, who
was also one of the producers of the 1989 batman.

of course, he's an idiot. i've heard those same things you mentioned before on other sites. the funny thing is he had nothing to do with batman and robin or batman forever.:crazed:

Beast
01-05-2003, 03:59 AM
Yeah, Jon Peters. Ugh, I wonder if he produced other movies that ended up with a giant Spider in the third act. Seriously, check out the "An Evening With Kevin Smith" DVD. It's worth it just for the horror that would be Superman story.

Like you said, he didn't have anything to do with Batman Forever and Batman & Robin. But he did produce the first two films, which were the good ones. And not only that, they guy has produced good stuff. But damn, keep him away from Supes. :eek: :D

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Peters,%20Jon

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar binks

sith_killer_99
01-05-2003, 08:51 AM
What do you all think about Christian Bale for the part of Superman? Just a thought, since I just finished watching "Reign of Fire".;)

Jedi Clint
01-05-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
What do you all think about Christian Bale for the part of Superman? Just a thought, since I just finished watching "Reign of Fire".;)

I like Bale. I'd have to see him as Superman before I could decide whether it was a good choice or not. I really enjoyed Reign of Fire......just watched it for the first time last night :)

derek
01-05-2003, 10:50 PM
i too like bale. he toned up well for "american psycho" and has a "classic superhero" look to him, plus he's a pretty good actor.:)

Eternal Padawan
02-07-2003, 08:38 AM
One of the memorable quotes from a Kevin Smith interview done around that time was about how Peters kept going on and on about he and Smith had "Street Cred.'' Street cred this and Street cred that. And Smith goes "I grew up in Jersey. You were a hairdresser. What street cred are you talking about?" :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-07-2003, 09:05 PM
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1469810/20030206/index.jhtml?headlines=true

I hope to God this doesn't evolve. If Ashton "Dude" Kutcher (sp?) plays the Man o' Steel, i will never ever see this movie. First it was the wacky ideas with the plot, and then getting people like Josh Hartnett and Kutcher to play the role. This movie just gets worse and worse. :mad:

Kidhuman
02-07-2003, 09:07 PM
I just heard that as well. That Kutcher, Jude Law and someone else was up for the part.

RooJay
02-07-2003, 10:35 PM
Someone should get a petition going to send to Warners detailing what we demand of our Superman films: reverance, accuracy, faithfulness, QUALITY, INTELLIGENCE...you know, stuff like that. It's obvious that none of these guys at Warners has any clue whatsoever of how to handle the property; I wish there were a way that we could tell them that would force them to listen. Superman has been a money maker for a lot of people in a lot of different media, while remaining virtually unchanged for well over SIXTY years now! How hard can it be to get the film done, and done right?!

SithDroid
02-08-2003, 12:40 AM
Well Roojay, the problem definately lies with Warner Brothers. IMO they don't put out any quality films anymore, granted Harry Potter and the Matrix have worked well for them, but a majority of the stuff they've handled lately turns out horrible. Plus seeing what they did to the Batman franchise I expect them to do the same for the Superman franchise, mess it up. If only DC comics was not owned by Warner Brothers, then perhaps we'd actually see some decent DC comic book movies. Even the WB network is so intolerable to watch, the only good show they got going for them is Smallville, which I'm getting a little tired of, mainly due to the many "Over-excuses" as to why Lana and Clark aren't together. Plus I bet Warner Brothers will probably cast a big hollywood name in the role instead of finding someone who actually LOOKS the part and can actually ACT. Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait and see. Let's all be thankful that Sam Raimi didn't cast Leonardo DiCaprio in the part of Spider-man, or else the film could have turned out horrible.

JediTricks
02-08-2003, 03:13 AM
That would be weird if they used Ashton Kutcher as Supes since he's younger than Tom Welling, the guy playing Clark Kent on TV right now. Plus, Kutcher is a total goofus, I can't picture him playing anything other than comedic roles.

SithDroid
02-08-2003, 10:56 AM
I agree JediTricks. Plus Kutcher is way too skinny, the'd have to beef him up majorly, which they could do, look at Tobey Maguire how they beefed him up. I think they should just use the guy from Smallville. Wait until the series is over and then tie it in with the movie, that's what I would like to see.

JediTricks
02-09-2003, 10:27 PM
I can't picture Kutcher wearing more muscle tone than he does right now, he's a pretty skinny guy.

I think they could use Smallville's Tom Welling right now, just use different makeup and a different director to give him a more mature feel - it'd make good cross-promotion to the show. Waiting will give them an age advantage, but if WB really wants to turn this into another franchise, getting Welling into the costume now will mean they'll have a few more years before he's too old to play the part.

Lord Malakite
02-09-2003, 10:39 PM
Based on what that Producer wants to do to poor Superman, this will no doubt be another great blockbuster brought to you by WB. :rolleyes:

scruffziller
10-16-2003, 12:16 PM
New report.
You didn't take us seriously when we said that the casting rumors were over, did you? Here's another one: Scott Speedman, fresh off the success of Underworld (http://movies.go.com/movies/U/Underworld_2003/index.html) (which has two follow-ups in pre-production), is the new favorite. (Dark Horizons)

Turambar
10-16-2003, 06:53 PM
Have they even considered Tom Welling for the role? I thought when they started Smallville, it would eventually lead to TW getting the superman role in a movie. He is the perfect age, size, and dead-on looks of superman. Not to mention he's a decent actor. I really don't feel that anyone elso could pull off the role anywhere near as good as he could.

RooJay
10-16-2003, 08:27 PM
Have they even considered Tom Welling for the role? I thought when they started Smallville, it would eventually lead to TW getting the superman role in a movie. He is the perfect age, size, and dead-on looks of superman. Not to mention he's a decent actor. I really don't feel that anyone elso could pull off the role anywhere near as good as he could.

I for one am glad that haven't gone that route. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool, born and bred Superman fan, and I honestly can't stand that show. Especially considering the recent seeming trend in the comics of certain writers twisting and altering the Superman I know to match that deadful television show (which, in my opinion, has very little to do with the actual Superman).
I think Scott Speedman would actually make quite a good Superman, although I'm still partial to this Mathew Bomer guy Warners has been courting on and off this past year.

JetsAndHeels
10-16-2003, 09:11 PM
I am also a lifelong Superman fan and I hate the idea of Tom Welling doing a movie. I do watch Smallville every week and yes he is a good actor but TV and movies are two different things. I think the main reason Welling would not work as Superman would be the fact that if he did play the part the movie would not be a Superman movie. It would be a Smallville spin-off movie, and that is not the way to go at all. We need someone different who will do the character justice, and although Welling does well on TV that does not necessarily mean he would be good to do the actual Superman movie. Remember, Tom Welling is NOT portraying Superman on Smallville. He is simply playing the boy who grows up to be Superman. In Smallville if you said Superman people would look at you funny. It has not happened yet.

RooJay
10-16-2003, 11:16 PM
I think the main reason Welling would not work as Superman would be the fact that if he did play the part the movie would not be a Superman movie. It would be a Smallville spin-off movie...

That sums it up just about perfectly. :happy:

scruffziller
10-17-2003, 08:14 AM
It would be a Smallville spin-off movie.What they should have done is do the Superman movie(s) with Welling and then do the Smallville show with Welling. But too late.:(
But JangoFett96 don't you think Welling looks the better of anybody they have considered so far for the role? Besides if Welling is a good enough actor he could definately morph into charachter as such so it doesn't have the Smallville-spinoff feel.
Hey I wonder if Dean Cain is going to make a guest apperance on Smallville.:D

JetsAndHeels
10-17-2003, 02:21 PM
Welling does look the part. I think he is a very talented actor. I just do not see him as Superman. When I look at him, he is simply Clark Kent. I am sure he could adapt to the part of playing the man of steel, but it all goes back to the show-he will always be known as simply Clark, not Superman. Like you said, if they had done it the other way around, it might have worked.
I am still sticking to the same opinion I have had since this whole project has started, and that is find a good actor who will do the character justice. If it takes 5, 10, hell 15 years, just get it right and make a quality movie.

Beast
01-28-2004, 05:14 PM
And more proof that the DC movie franchise will continue to lay a giant egg. Especially if the news is true. A african american Lois Lane? Say it ain't so. Here's the news from Superhero Hype. :)

Beyonce Knowles & Johnny Depp Up for Superman?
Source: Anonymous Wednesday, January 28, 2004

So what's the latest from the Superman casting front?An anonymous source tells Superhero Hype! the scoop on what's going down at Warner Bros. for the new adaptation.

We're still hearing that McG is attached to direct the film, and now our source adds that the studio wants singer/actress Beyonce Knowles as Lois Lane and "Pirates of the Caribbean" star Johnny Depp as Lex Luthor. You read that right... Beyonce Knowles.

No word yet on who they're looking at for the title role, but stay tuned. Let us know what you think of this by posting your thoughts on the SHH! Boards.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The 'Xir
01-28-2004, 06:36 PM
Beyonce Huh? Hhhmmm, maybe Halle Berry if there are going to have any african-american women play the part, but no they should just stick to the classic characters that way no-one gets offended!

I quickly read through all the posts, and I don't see anything wrong with Fraizer as Supes, I think he's a better actor than most give him credit for, it's just that the comedic genre of films never really gets much respect anyways, but he has alot of range within them, just look at his performance in 'Bedazzled'. Wether you like the movie or not, he did an amazing job and it really showed his versatility while still maintaining and carrying the comedic tone through the movie! It's funny though 'cause while the main focus was on him as I was readin the posts, I was thinking well what new actor looks like and could possibly pull off Superman, and I thought of Ashton Kutcher(sp?) But then read everyones dislike of that Idea so who knows. But just like an unlikely Keaton pulled off Batman(not Wayne though I agree), maybe one of these guys could suprise us!

Kidhuman
01-29-2004, 05:12 PM
Beyonce???????? Nah, they can do better than that. I think Depp would be a wonderful Luthor. Anyting he touches turns to gold it seems.

And Xir, I thought Keaton pulled of Wayne. He was perfect for both parts. Kinda quirky for Wayne and dead serious for Batman.

The 'Xir
01-29-2004, 07:16 PM
kh- I allowed myself to buy into it, but no my inital reaction was that's not Bruce Wayne, it's Michael Keaton! I think Christian Bale is going to do an awesome job though with the new movie!!!

I know your all probably gonna hate me, but has anyone mentioned Geroge Clooney as a possible Superman? Y'all talked about him being 'Bats' and all but what about Supes? He's tall enough, he's fairly fit but probably could get "in shape", and he's got a better supes look than Fraiser or Kutcher you'll have to admit! Hhhmmmm...?

Kidhuman
01-30-2004, 12:26 AM
Just make Depp superman. He can play ythe shy Clark Kent type role, and he can play Superman too me thinks. Clooney doesn't do it for me. I dont think he is a good actor.

The 'Xir
01-30-2004, 03:16 AM
I never liked him either, but then I saw 'Oh! Brother, Where Art though?'. Have you seen it? That was the movie that changed my mind about him forever, he was awesome in it, and nothing like anything he has ever done before!!! It's just a great part and an awesome movie!...awesome soundtrack too!

Kidhuman
01-30-2004, 01:57 PM
I saw that movie, and it was funny, probably his best work ever. BUt after that he is trash again. He played a horrible Batman/Wayne, therefore he should not play Superman or any other superhero.

The 'Xir
02-08-2004, 02:31 AM
Although I didn't like the movie all that much, what about 'Ocean's Eleven'? He's wasn't that bad in it! The original 'Oceans' Eleven' with the 'Rat Pack' was much better though, and was alot funnier especially at the end! lol

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-06-2005, 11:43 PM
We have more casting news!!! Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor and Kate Bosworth pretty much a lock in for Lois Lane!!! Got this from SHH:

"The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed that Kate Bosworth is in talks to play Lois Lane, and Kevin Spacey is set to play the superhero's nemesis Lex Luthor in Bryan Singer's Superman for Warner Bros. Pictures.

The comic book movie would reunite the two actors, who currently appear in Spacey's "Beyond the Sea" as Sandra Dee and Bobby Darin.

The casting of Lane was a long process that ultimately rested on a chemistry test between the actress and Brandon Routh, who is playing Superman, says the trade. Bosworth reportedly beat out the likes of Claire Danes, Linda Cardellini, and Michelle Monaghan.

Spacey, who is in rehearsals for "National Anthems" at the Old Vic, will do a limited run of "The Philadelphia Story" at the theater before moving to the Superman movie, which has a March start date"

cheers! :D

RooJay
01-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Fantastic news! Well...except for that part about Kate Bosworth - I don't particularly care for her and I don't think she's right as Lois, personally. Kevin Spacey is just about perfect for Lex (the only person I would've been more excited about would've been Jason Issacs) and he's had great success working with Bryan Singer in the past. The only other concern I have as far as Lex goes is that since Singer's using the Chris Reeve Superman flicks as a basis, we might have to suffer Kevin Spacey as the cornball, wig wearing Gene Hackman type Luthor (which, don't get me wrong, was fine for it's day).

scruffziller
01-17-2005, 12:18 PM
I could have sworn I posted this info somewhere else but anyway.
BRANDON ROUTH who is Clark Kent/Superman is originally from Norwalk, Iowa!!!!
That is just a few miles from where I live!!! But here is a pic of him. I think he looks the part quite well. Plus the movie is called SUPERMAN RETURNS at this point anyway.

Hellboy
04-17-2005, 05:18 PM
A picture of the new Superman Returns shield is up over at SHH.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/featuresnews.php?id=2836

Personally I think its pretty average. :neutral:

JediTricks
04-17-2005, 05:58 PM
Average at best, it looks like cheap CGI someone made on their home computer over the weekend.

RooJay
04-20-2005, 09:57 PM
The first shots of Clark Kent can be seen here:

Editorial Getty Images (http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/FrameSet.aspx?s=ImagesSearchState|0|0|30|0|0|0|1|| |0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|7|brandon+routh|0|0|0|0&p=7)

Not bad at all. Very Chris Reeves-ish. The real test is how good he looks in the longjohns!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-22-2005, 10:15 AM
Well, get ready for the first pictures of Superman.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/supermannews.php?id=2890

I really don't know what to make it of. I like the simplicity and almost kind of "Vintage" style of it, but its' going to take some getting used to. We're all used to the classic suit of the comics and the Reeve films as well. Hopefully it'll grow on me. :D

JetsAndHeels
04-22-2005, 10:40 AM
Not a bad look...takes a little getting used to, but one touch I do like is the S-Shield on the belt. Don't think we've seen that yet....
Of course for me, being a lifetime Superman fan, I hope Routh does a good acting job more than anything. Need to make sure this guy does the character some justice.
With Singer at the helm, I feel pretty good about it.

James Boba Fettfield
04-22-2005, 03:44 PM
My reaction when Guyute first showed me that pic went something like this:

"Oh god, that's horrible."

Don't like the size of the shield on his chest, don't like the lack of vibrant red on the costume, and it just doesn't give me that Superman feel.

JediTricks
04-22-2005, 09:12 PM
takes a little getting used to, but one touch I do like is the S-Shield on the beltThat was the FIRST thing I noticed about this one. It seems very egotistical and out of step with Superman, plus it's quite repetetive.

Don't like the size of the shield on his chestYeah, I hadn't put my finger on it before, but yeah, it's too high or too small or something. As for the colors, I could have accepted the red if the blue of the suit weren't so loud. As it is, the red should be a a little lighter than this to fit with the muted yellow at least.

A friend of mine first showed me that photo earlier today, and he suggested that the actor they got here looks too soft, too sensitive, and I can kinda see what he's getting at. The Clark Kent look wasn't as bad, but in the suit it's worse than Dean Cain.

BTW, here's a much larger image of the suit, it looks different with that pattern: http://www.brandonrouth.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=994&fullsize=1

Hellboy
04-24-2005, 07:42 PM
Hopefully it will grow on me as well but as of right now I have to say I don't like it. Especially those maroon panties held up by that cute yellow belt. :p

RooJay
04-24-2005, 08:32 PM
Seeing that pic, I'm a bit torn. I do love the costume (although the shorts seem to ride a bit low on the hips for my tastes. :sur: ) - even the muted red. The s-shield could be a little bit bigger, but I've not often been one to nitpick. I can even dig the Routh Superman - I'd even say that he makes a near perfect young Superman. Notice I said "young."
Therein lies the problem as I see it. First off, I have to admit that while I was at first very excited to hear that Bryan Singer would be helming this one, very little I have heard of the project since - and from Singer in particular - has done much to inspire any confidence in me. True, like most comic/movie fans I absolutely loved the Richard Donner/ Christopher Reeve movies - they were great for their time, but there were always a lot of things that I felt they got wrong. Hearing Singer repeatedly state that this new movie is intended to carry on from the earlier franchise just seems wrong to me. It implies that Routh is a replacement for Reeve, first off, and then it seems not to be the greatest idea to not be trying to break some new ground here anyway. The character of Superman has changed much since the seventies and early eighties, and for the better I feel. So much more relevance has been added to the character that I think the Donner films and the mythology as they presented it just can't successfully uphold it. To compound matters, the fact that the new film's story is intended as a follow-up to the earlier movies seems to me to clash with the obvious youth of this new Superman. like I said, I think Routh makes an excellent Superman, but as a Superman who is just starting out in life. I'm not certainy of any age disparity between Routh and Reeve, but Brandon Routh definitely looks younger than Reeve was when he played Superman. Why not start anew, then? Yes, the older movies were great, but it's been a long time since and the beloved star of those films has passed on. A decent writer could've easily come up with a story from early on in Superman's career without rehashing the origin story itself; which is what I hear Singer was trying to avoid.
Throw all that into the pot with a bunch of Singer comments that Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor will be picking up where Gene Hackman left off - just seems wrong to me. Like the original films themselves, Hackman was great! That was one A-1, classic comic villain performance there...but Gene Hackman was never playing Lex Luthor there. Before that performance, Luthor had never behaved that way; not on film, not on television, not in animation, and certainly not in the comics. Never. Lex Luthor became someone else in Hackman's hands. He was fun to watch. He was entertaining. He even managed to be menacing at points, but good ole Gene never once managed to actually be Lex. I hope I'm seriously misinterpreting what I've heard Singer say, but if not and Spacey is basing his Luthor on Hackman's performance then they're making a serious mistake. Spacey is perfect for the role, but only if he's playing the actual character he's meant to portray rather than the previous film's successful (for the day) misinterpretation. I'm really not up for seeing Spacey as the buffoonish, weasely, wig wearing Luthor. I want Spacey as Superman's most perfectly menacing and villainous polar opposite. I'm just not expecting that based on what I've been hearing so far.
That is what I see as being wrong with that picture of our new Superman. I do want to have a lot of faith in Singer. He's always been good in the past. I just haven't heard anything since he came on that makes me feel confident about it. I hope he proves me wrong.

JediTricks
04-25-2005, 09:00 PM
(although the shorts seem to ride a bit low on the hips for my tastes. :sur: )Agreed, that looks weird here.

The s-shield could be a little bit bigger, but I've not often been one to nitpick. I am, and you are definitely right. Also, the neckline of the costume is TOTALLY wrong for Superman, that's what had been confusing me before, Supes doesn't have a standard shirt shape for the collar.

I can even dig the Routh Superman - I'd even say that he makes a near perfect young Superman. Notice I said "young." I believe the proper term for "young Superman" is "Superboy". ;)

As for your other points RooJay, they were spot-on.

Eternal Padawan
07-06-2005, 07:11 PM
The thing I'm worried about most from the new Superman movie is how bad the Mattel toy line is going to suck.

I would never nitpick about something as minor as small cosmetic changes to the Supertights. Don't you think that Singer and his costume department sat around for weeks or months trying all kinds of variations in color and texture before arriving at this choice?

I'm just glad Warner and DC have gotten off their duffs and started answering Marvels' domination over the box office the last few years ( Elektra aside). Now we'll be getting comic movies every three months or so. To me, that rocks. Even a bad/mediocre comic film has excellent moments in it (again, Elektra aside) where you realize "Holy Cats! The Hulk is throwing tanks around in the desert! Awesome!!!" Wonder Woman, Flash, and Green Lantern movies? Sounds sweet to me.

PS What's up everybody?

El Chuxter
07-06-2005, 07:23 PM
Wha...? A Rollo sighting? I thought their fire had gone out from the galaxy.

:beard:

Eternal Padawan
07-06-2005, 10:08 PM
Oh, the shenanigans. I thought I'd disappear for a year or three and let my legend build up and then return all messiah like.

But in reality, everybody except for a handful you guys is like "Huh? Who?" and JediTricks is putting a backtrace so they know where to send the SSG Assassination Squad. And I quote "Oh great. THAT jerkstore is back..."

Speaking of retroactively deciding Supes III and VI never took place, that makes me sad. Superman got rid of all those nuclear missiles and after all this time we find out it never actually happened. :cry: OR Richard Pryor either. Well, that explains why that nuclear bozo never showed up in the comics. :rolleyes:

El Chuxter
07-21-2005, 02:43 PM
No one's commented on the Comic Con preview yet? I find that a bit odd.

Mark my words, and mark them well, for they will come true:

As of this moment, Batman Begins is the greatest comic book superhero film ever.

There is a very, very good chance it will be relegated to second place next summer.

Gawd, this movie looks absolutely perfect! I had my own reservations about the man-panties, but they actually seem to work onscreen.

Where to begin?

It's not a true continuation of the first two Reeve movies. Rather, Singer has taken a bunch of things he calls "vague history" -- what come to mind immediately when we think of Superman -- and built upon this. (They include the first Reeve film, the Fleischer cartoons, the George Reeves TV series, and, to a lesser extent that great sequel with the one and only Zod, before whom we must all kneel.) The purpose of it is to create the ultimate iconic version of Superman, one that we all know and love, and thrust him into a completely new world and storyline.

Kaiser Soze looks like he will be great as Luthor. I have no idea what the threat is, but there's a brief shot of him holding one of those Kryptonian data crystal thingies.

John Ottman's handling music, but Singer considered John Williams' classic main theme to be so essential to the character that it will be incorporated.

And Routh truly seems to be channeling the spirit of the late, great Christopher Reeve.

This was so incredibly cool, I was tempted to go and kick Avi Arad in the cajones during the Ghost Rider presentation later in the day, because X2: X-Men United is about to fall into third place, and, well, it doesn't make sense to injure the director, since he's only about to top himself.

Hellboy
09-10-2005, 04:35 PM
Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor. BIG :thumbsup: from me.

I'd have to say this is the best thing I've seen in regards to this movie so far.

scruffziller
09-10-2005, 05:44 PM
Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor. BIG :thumbsup: from me.

I'd have to say this is the best thing I've seen in regards to this movie so far.

AWESOME!!!!!! It's Dr. EEVIIIIIIILLLLLLLL.......:thumbsup: :D

Yea Spacey is going to take this one home and back again.:yes:

General_Grievous
09-10-2005, 07:16 PM
From what I've seen and heard about this movie so far, me likey. I don't know if I'll like this as much as Batman Begins, simply because I like Batman better than Superman. I wonder if they'll kill off Superman in the second one and ressurect him in the third one (if they make sequels, which you know they will). Anyway, great cast...but the jury's still out on the guy who played Kumar in "Harold and Kumar". Who does he play, anyway?

JediTricks
09-11-2005, 06:38 PM
I watched one of the webdocs a while back with a quick glance of Spacey as Lex on a beach, the second I saw him I knew that was totally working for me, if nothing else works in this flick he's gonna make it good. I just hope that he's not so good he ends up being forced to return for sequel after sequel, a la Gene Hackman (great actor, terrible Luthor).

rich_of_the_dead
11-17-2005, 09:22 PM
did u guys see that cool superman retuns trailer? very awesome if not heres a link
http://supermanreturns.warnerbros.com/trailer.html

:love: :love: :love: :love:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-17-2005, 09:37 PM
yeah, um, rich, try posting these links in not only their proper forum, but also the right thread. This is the "OTHER" (toys) forum, not the film forum and there is already quite a lengthy discussion about the new Superman flick going on. http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=6472 hope this helps. :)

Mods- please close this when you get a second. I don't have access to this forum. thanks. :)

James Boba Fettfield
11-17-2005, 09:43 PM
Why Guyute, what ever are you talking about?;)

JetsAndHeels
11-17-2005, 10:17 PM
Damn straight!! This is the movie Ive been waiting for, even more so than the SW prequels.
Cant wait, only 224 more days until it hits theaters!!

JediTricks
11-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Well, it was ok, I guess for folks who haven't seen the show Smallville, the teaser all looked amazing and updated, but IMO except for the wearing-tights flying, it all looked like territory we've covered recently.

Brandon Routh still looks way too skinny to be Supes, and too femme as well.

El Chuxter
11-19-2005, 09:46 AM
I thought it rocked, though all the footage was from the Comic Con preview and it didn't delve into the storyline.

And I know I'm in a minority, but I:
Love the Superman character
Love the Superman comics
Love the first two Superman films
Love the old Max Fleischer Superman toons
Love the George Reeves Superman show
Love the 90s Superman cartoon and JLA

Mildly dislike Lois & Clark
HATE Smallville

IMHO, the big Boy Scout should be given more respect than to star in godawful primetime soap operas and "Dawsons Creek with super powers."

I know, everyone's going to try to rip me a new one now. But I doubt it'll change my mind.

General_Grievous
11-19-2005, 10:30 AM
The part I liked the most was the John Williams music. Other than that it didn't show much.

plasticfetish
11-19-2005, 11:18 PM
I saw the trailer for this last night before the new Harry Potter movie. First...

Love the Superman comics

HATE Smallville

IMHO, the big Boy Scout should be given more respect than to star in godawful primetime soap operas and "Dawsons Creek with super powers."

I know, everyone's going to try to rip me a new one now. But I doubt it'll change my mind.I agree with you 99% here. I love all of the same stuff, esp. the old George Reeves show... having grown up watching endless re-runs in the '70s. :)

I don't "hate" the new TV shows (Lois & Clark, Smallville) though, I just haven't had ANY interest in watching them.

But, speaking of interest... I've been kind of quietly waiting to see how this new movie is going to turn out. I haven't wanted to hunt for images or info on the film. I've wanted to be surprised, and I was when that big Superman S flashed on the screen last night.

It was only a quick look, but I thought it looked really good. Sure, it all looked like old territory, but this is one time when I'm honestly really kind of excited to see how modern digital technology is going to help with creating a big story for this big character.

...as long as the script doesn't suck.

...but how cool is Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor!!!

...and how weird is it that they re-used Brando's voice?

JetsAndHeels
11-19-2005, 11:48 PM
Love the Superman comics

HATE Smallville

I know, everyone's going to try to rip me a new one now. But I doubt it'll change my mind.

Im with you all the way, but Smallville is currently my favorite TV show. I own a couple volumes of the Fleischer cartoons, Season 1 of the animated series, Season 1 of Lois & Clark, own the movies, and various other things.
Supes has been my favorite all my life, I chose him early on as a young child and have stayed with him ever since.
I drove 14 hours one way to see the Superman statue and museum in Metropolis, Illinois.
Later that same year, I did it again but in a snow storm.
Hell, I have his emblem inked into my skin. I have to like him!! :)

darthvyn
11-20-2005, 12:24 AM
i'm sorry, but the teaser wasn't great... not at all enthralling. and i think supes looks like a metrosexual.

El Chuxter
11-20-2005, 12:36 AM
Vynnie, mark my words: this is going to be the best comic flick ever if what I've seen is any indication.

I'm not sure if the much longer preview from Comic Con is floating around online, but if you can find it, check it out. The story is going to rock.

C'mon, it took freaking Batman Begins to top Mr Singer's last comic book flick.

Rocketboy
11-20-2005, 11:46 AM
Vynnie, mark my words: this is going to be the best comic flick ever if what I've seen is any indication.You mean better than Judge Dredd AND Catwoman?
Oh, I doubt it.

:D

General_Grievous
12-03-2005, 11:05 AM
How good can this new Superman movie be when there's no way that Brandon Routh could possibly play a better Supes than Christopher Reeve?

Mandalorian Candidat
12-03-2005, 07:55 PM
How good can this new Superman movie be when there's no way that Brandon Routh could possibly play a better Supes than Christopher Reeve?

You mean Reeve in Superman 1/2 or Reeve in Superman 3/4? There's a mighty big difference there. I don't really give a crapola about this movie. I'm just getting tired of all the comic book movies.