PDA

View Full Version : Is George Lucas Timeless?

icatch9
04-19-2002, 02:53 PM
I know that we all like Star Wars, but is George Lucas timeless? Will these movies he created live on in movie history with the likes of “Gone with the Wind” or “Citizen Cane”? Will his name be mentioned with the great storytellers of history? It is still way to early to tell if his movies will be “classic” rather than fan favorites, but I think time will tell. I think they will live on in movie history as one of the greatest stories ever told.

Dryanta
04-19-2002, 02:57 PM
I think they will be remembered for a very long time but will fade away eventually like everything else.The'll be replaced by some piece of trash that better reflects todays sensibilities and society as a whole.You all know what I mean.Empty crap that just pretends to mean something;)

JediTricks
04-19-2002, 05:24 PM
Lucas is not timeless, Star Wars might be timeless though. It'll depend on how Ep 2 and 3 are accepted - if they work on the same levels as ROTJ and Ep 1, then no.

chewie
04-19-2002, 05:52 PM
As for however long 2D films remain popular on this mudball, the Star Wars movies will remain timeless.

Advancements in entertainment technology, such as fully 3D/Holographic stuff I'm sure will have a deeper impact on the people who watch and witness such pieces of escapism. 2D films will probably remain a form of entertainment, as I'm certain that technology will eventually make creating anything in 2D (like the 3D imagery in the prequel trilogy) a piece of cake. But they eventually will lose their role as a social gathering place to watch in a big theater.

Will Star Wars movies remain in cultural consciousness like William Shakespear's plays? I'm leaning towards a yes on that. They certainly won't be considered any greater/better than they are today, but they should retain a lasting mark. The name George Lucas will probably not be nearly as long lasting (as has already been said).

I'm also believing that if 3D movie/storytelling becomes a reality, the people living in that time can expect to see a remake of all the SW movies in that format.

SithDroid
04-19-2002, 08:00 PM
Star Wars, possibly. George Lucas, no.

GL created something great, but he has no where near the impact like Alfred Hitchcock or Walt Disney.

JediTricks
04-21-2002, 11:49 PM
IIRC, Shakespeare's plays were considered junk when they came out, they were the soap operas of their time. It was only later that they were accepted as timeless storytelling.

RooJay
04-22-2002, 07:27 PM
I for one, truly hope that when all is said and done Lucas will be seen to have succeeded in his original task of helping to create a new mythology that will inspire people for generations to come.

JediTricks
04-22-2002, 09:11 PM
Honestly, I think before Ep 1, Lucas had already done that (even though ROTJ sorta cheapened it), but with these prequels, he's deconstructing the mythology way too much and swaying towards "epic kiddie film" rather than "modern myth".

RooJay
04-22-2002, 09:14 PM
...in your opinion of course. Some of us actually like the prequels.;)

SithDroid
04-22-2002, 09:19 PM
I agree JT. Before the prequels the SW Saga was more holy, now with the prequels it is like it has been cheapened to some childish action driven story with tons of special effects included to attract a new "childish" younger generation of "fans." I hope AOTC is a ton better than TPM.

JediTricks
04-22-2002, 10:16 PM
RooJay, it's not just "my" opinion, it's what I see on the streets with people I talk to about the saga, and a general feeling I get from popular entertainment (which is a strong reflection of what the mass opinion is, can't have a comment nobody relates to) - there's a major shift in the public view from the late '70s when Star Wars was the modern myth to today where it's just another big box office summer film series with big effects and bad writing. If you want something to be a modern myth, you have to capture the public's imagination the right way. Anybody can poke holes in the films, but ultimately, it's how it sticks in their minds that matters.

RooJay
04-23-2002, 12:02 AM
I beg to differ Jedi Tricks, but it is "your" opinion. Yours and those who feel as you do. There are a lot of others, besides myself, who don't see things your way. Thus, your opinion. You have no right to speak on behalf of everyone. Popular opinion or not, it is still YOUR opinion.

SithDroid
04-23-2002, 09:10 PM
Majority, unfortuantely sometimes, rules.

RooJay
04-23-2002, 09:12 PM
'Fraid not. The majority NEVER rules my opinions. Never will either. Prequels ARE cool, and DO add to the mythology as far as I'm concerned. Nobody has the right to tell me my views are wrong.

Dryanta
04-23-2002, 09:20 PM
I think you both have made a few good points.I myself liked Ep 1 and ROTJ.Were they kiddie films.Sure were.And a large number of the people here were the kiddies it was aimed at.The same thing will be said in twenty years about another forums inhabitants.As a whole I think the mythology has been cheapened for us(the OT generation) but maybe not the next.
As far as all the complaints about the bad writing,I really don't know.I enjoyed the movies.When I can write a story as well as the folks involved in Star wars then I'll be a little more verbal in my opinions of the writing.I think Star wars will die away like everything else someday and be long forgotten.But The Name Geoge Lucas will fade away much faster IMHO

RooJay
04-23-2002, 10:35 PM
I am the OT generation. I was there on opening day back in '77, and I've loved Star Wars ever since. The prequels have only enriched my love of Star Wars. I guess I'm just lucky. I really sympathize with you guys who've lost some of the magic and I feel for you. If there were some way I could help you get it back I would. Star Wars will always be special to me. Even if Ep. 3 ends with Palpatine using cloned, midichlorian addicted Smurfs led by Qui-Gon Jinn and Darth Maul's lower half to extinguish the Jedi.

JediTricks
04-23-2002, 11:20 PM
Ok, let's clear something up, we're not talking about how good you think Ep 1 is or not, we're talking about whether it adds or detracts from the mythology aspect of Star Wars, and with that, majority is the guiding force.

RooJay
04-24-2002, 04:03 PM
Didn't think it needed clearing up. I know exactly what we're talking about. I just didn't think anyone had the right to tell me I was wrong for thinking the prequels DO add to the story; regardless of popular opinion. This is how I feel, and nobody has the right to tell me I'm wrong about it.
By the way, who said anything about Episode 1? I personally think it could've been much better (something a lot of people who claim to hate it somehow always seem to overlook), but that was not at all what I was talking about. I was talking about the prequels in general. So YES, you're right, we're not talking about how much you liked Episode 1 (or how much you DIDN'T like it) so why did you bring it up?

JediTricks
04-25-2002, 07:40 PM
I wasn't talking about adding to the story, I was talking about subtracting from the myth - there's a huge difference. You can love Ep 1 all you want, but if the general populous doesn't take to it, then it's not going to become a modern myth. Since it's part of the saga, the lack of being a modern myth hurts the overall mythos of Star Wars because it brings the idea of that mythology down a peg or two.

Why did I bring it up? Because I think Ep 1 detracts from the "timelessness" of the classic trilogy, that's how it fits.

stillakid
04-26-2002, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I wasn't talking about adding to the story, I was talking about subtracting from the myth - there's a huge difference. You can love Ep 1 all you want, but if the general populous doesn't take to it, then it's not going to become a modern myth. Since it's part of the saga, the lack of being a modern myth hurts the overall mythos of Star Wars because it brings the idea of that mythology down a peg or two.

Why did I bring it up? Because I think Ep 1 detracts from the "timelessness" of the classic trilogy, that's how it fits.

As usual, I second the motion from JediTricks. Liking a something does not automatically make it good. Heck, I liked Rollerball. Did my liking it make it a better film? Nope. It still exists out there with all the flaws that it was born with. But that isn't exactly what JT is getting at, so I'll just back up what he says and tiptoe quietly out of this one...:sur:

RooJay
04-26-2002, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks

Like I said...in your opinion. My opinion is different. It's also what I posted here originally, and you still have no right to tell me it's wrong; Sir Steve's Guide Staff member or not. Also, like I said, I didn't say ANYTHING about how much I love Ep. 1 (which is not much compared to the other films in the Saga...as I've stated ad nauseum). I only ever referred here to the prequels as a whole. Agree with me or not. That's your prerogative, but never, EVER tell me my opinion is wrong.

stillakid
04-26-2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by RooJay

Like I said...in your opinion. My opinion is different. It's also what I posted here originally, and you still have no right to tell me it's wrong; Sir Steve's Guide Staff member or not. Also, like I said, I didn't say ANYTHING about how much I love Ep. 1 (which is not much compared to the other films in the Saga...as I've stated ad nauseum). I only ever referred here to the prequels as a whole. Agree with me or not. That's your prerogative, but never, EVER tell me my opinion is wrong.

Um, he never did say that your opinion was wrong. :confused:

bigbarada
04-26-2002, 01:56 AM
I don't seem to remember Star Wars being treated like a modern classic when it first came out. In fact it was considered meaningless teenage tripe the same way many adults disregard the fads of today (Pokemon, Harry Potter, Power Rangers). When I was in high school (1987-1991) Star Wars was just about the most uncool bunch of movies any kid was embarrassed to admit they liked. That's why when the SEs came out, I was always mildly surprised at how popular these movies really were.

They will always have a place in movie history; but the long term impact is a little iffy. Even now Star Wars is considered mostly appealing to one specific generation, ours.

2-1B
04-26-2002, 02:06 AM
Roojay, reading this thread I don't see where anyone said your opinion was wrong. Some people believe there is a majority of folks that see the prequels as detracting. :)

Hypothetically, even if JT loved every single aspect of TPM, I presume he would still evaluate the saga's mythos based on the general population. Regardless of his personal opinions.

CooLJoE
04-26-2002, 05:24 AM
I'm with RooJay. JT DID say that majority decides whether it subtracts from the mythology. And since that in itself is an opinion based idea, RooJay CAN have his own opinion about the subtract/addition to the mythology.

I agree with RooJay on that too. I think it adds to the mythology (not subtracts). Sure TPM was kinda silly and had bad acting (hmm....personally that reminds me of ANH). After I saw TPM, I went home and saw ANH cuz everyone was saying TPM was horrible for a plot and had crappy acting and was all candy. After watching ANH again, I'm thinking the same things about ANH. Sure ANH was late 70s, but thats no excuse in my mind. Infact, with ANH having horrible acting and a crappy kinda plot, TPM seems right on target (though I think Jar Jar needed to disappear....of course with AOTC and Jar Jar's role in it, he is needed in the series).

So anyways. I think the prequels are fine. They are right in line with the story and help further clear up parts of the mythology.

I only wish Lucas would not be a loser and make 7, 8, and 9. Or atleast let Lucasfilms and some VERY good SW writers finish the series. I think it would be nice to see Luke meet and marry Mara and see Luke's children continue his legacy. As well as seeing Kyle Katarn have cameos and the continuation of what Han and Leia and Chewie go through.

SithDroid
04-26-2002, 02:21 PM
There will be no more SW after the prequesl, moviewise. If they decided to do another trilogy that took place 25 years later they couldn't do it. I mean Harrison Fords salary alone would set them back and who's to say all the other original people would return if he was getting paid a ton more than they are. The final SW movie will be EP III.

bigbarada
04-26-2002, 03:55 PM
So the only option for another trilogy would be GL's original idea for a tandem series. Basically something that takes place in parallel with the OT but only intersects at key "historical" moments. Personally I'm all for that. GL would still have final approval of everything; but he wouldn't even have to be involved otherwise.

CooLJoE
04-26-2002, 03:58 PM
Oh, I know that. And the actual reason from GL's mouth is that he doesn't want to do them after EP3 as it wouldn't be beneficial and that the SW movies are based around Anakin's life.

Also he has said that neither his children, family, relatives, or anyone else will be allowed to continue the SW movies. It ends with EP1-6.

icatch9
04-26-2002, 04:28 PM
So much to say. Well I started this thread to see if SW fans thought these movies and GL would live on in film lore. Most think the movies will for a time, and few think GL will last at all. Who's to say who is right? All I know is that there were 200 people lined up at the TRU I went to on Tuesday. They were there in the middle of the night to buy SW related items that they will be able to get anywhere for months. What does this have to do with the weather or not the movies are timeless. Well these 200 people where only a fraction of the thousands of fans who lined up for MM. These thousands of people will have thousands of offspring, who they will pass their love of Star Wars down to, and so on down the line. Never in the history of time has there ever been a cultural phenomenon such as Star Wars. That is easy for us to forget because we are living it. Star Wars is popular is so many ways. The movies, the books, the toys, the games, the collectables. It is everywhere and there is no comparison to Star Wars. So in my opinion SW will live on and the creator GL will follow. Plus, it is up to us to make sure our children know the story of Luke Skywalker and his merry band.

SithDroid
04-26-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
Plus, it is up to us to make sure our children know the story of Luke Skywalker and his merry band.

Who steal from the rich and give to the poor.:D

bigbarada
04-26-2002, 06:48 PM
My two nephews are such huge Star Wars fans it's almost scary, especially since they are 4 and 2 years old. My oldest nephews first word was "Jar Jar" and they love having lightsaber battles in the house. They can recognize just about every major character and are completely addicted to the latest Ep2 trailer. They want it played constantly 24-hours a day or they throw a huge screaming fit. I can only wonder if this will burn out in a few years of if they are Star Wars nuts for life.

JediTricks
04-27-2002, 02:22 AM
RooJay, I apologize about misunderstanding your comments in post 9, I thought you were referring more to my Ep 1 comments in the previous post than the prequels as a whole.

As for the comment that I'm telling you your opinion is wrong, I think there's a misunderstand on what I was getting at: read Caesar's last post (#24), I think that sums it up just right without any static.