PDA

View Full Version : What does your significant other think?

JetsAndHeels
04-19-2002, 04:00 PM
I started this thread to see what everyone's boy/girl friends, husbands, wives, etc thought about their SW hobby. This may have already been discussed, but I also wanted to know if there are any single people out there, have you ever been reluctant to tell a date or somone you are interested in about your hobby? If you have has it affected their outlook on you?
For example, I went on a date with a girl a few months back and we got to talking about our hobbies. I mentioned that I was an avid SW collector and she gave me the cold shoulder, kind of like I was a total geek or something (which I am). Now there is another girl I am interested in here at work. She is eager to get to know me better, yet for some reason I am not too sure about revealing my hobby yet.
Thoughts?

SWAFMAN
04-19-2002, 04:07 PM
my girlfriend tolerates it, but never passes up an opportunity, when I say I don't want to spend money on something non-SW-related, to say, "Oh, but it's okay to spend money on your [I]STAR WARS stuff!"

LTBasker
04-19-2002, 04:14 PM
The 2 girlfriends I've had seemed to have not minded my obsession with SW, but then again they are pretty much SW fans themselves also. :cool:

As for what my current significant other thinks; me, myself and I seem to all agree that it's #1 A-OK! :D

Dryanta
04-19-2002, 04:31 PM
I just asked my wife.And she roled her eyes and laughed.She is great with the whole thing and she knew about it before we started seeing each other.She has been very supportive with he whole thing.As far as any advice,I'd say be up front from the start.Don't waste your time with someone who may develop a problem with you later on once they are fully informed so to speak.Besides you don't want to be with anyone who won't except you as you are.

JetsAndHeels
04-19-2002, 04:33 PM
Youre right. I wont talk to her no more.

Dryanta
04-19-2002, 04:39 PM
well you might want to find out if she has a problem with it first.You won't know 'til you ask.If she gets all snooty then get away from her

icatch9
04-19-2002, 04:57 PM
I too have faced the problem of telling people I collect toys. Never once did I tell a girl that I was interested in that I collected these things. I don't even tell people I am friendly with that I collect these things. Few people understand and most think poorly of the hobby. I don't know why, but they do. My fiancÚ is very cool with my hobbies, and she even helps me look for new stuff. She even encourages me to go and hunt and buy things. She forbids me to play with them though (I don't mind, I don't really play, I just like to set them up "on display".).

My previous girls didn't think much of it either way. None judged me because of it (at least I don't think they did), but they didn't really care. I have had the argument about spending money with one of them and that wasn't fun.

My fiancÚ' is great about everything. She thinks everything is cool. The movies the toys the whole experience is fun to her. I'm glad I got her.

kadamontaga
04-19-2002, 05:11 PM
Me and my girlfriend have been together for about 4 and a half years, and we got into collecting SW figures together last autumn. Its a completely mutual thing (as much as any male-female relationship is - she's in charge at the end of the day) and she likes it as much as I do.
We just started getting the Simpsons figures too. But we've run out of money and space.

mabudonicus
04-19-2002, 05:18 PM
My girlfriend thinks it's funny. She picks me up the odd thing, and with the rarity of SW in these parts, that's a BIG gesture. Especially since she's not too interested in it at all. I'm allowed to put up a larger-than-life Jar Jar in the kitchen, and binkses in every room.
What do others think? (not the topic, but an interesting point anyways) I'm not too worried about that. For some reason the way I look attracts floorwalkers like CRAZY (and I've never even spent a night in jail!), and generally makes people recoil and try to avoid my gaze. Works like a charm!!

QLD
04-20-2002, 01:25 AM
My girlfriend just calls me a dork, and lets it go at that. She doesn't really care one way or the other. As long as I keep it in the den :)

Battle Droid
04-20-2002, 01:52 AM
I had a girlfriend leave me after she saw my Star Wars collection. ;)

JetsAndHeels
04-20-2002, 01:59 AM
The nerve of that girl!! She wasnt worth it anyway!!

jedihunter25
04-20-2002, 02:12 AM
Well this is a good subject. Basically my EX wife gave me a choice- her or Star Wars. Take a big guess what I picked- she was a b@t%h anyway. And for my girlfriend now, I let her know at the begining of our relationship that I am a Star Wars junkie. We have been together for almost three years now and she's cool with it about 90% of the time. The other 10% is when I blow tons of money (like buying a lifesize yoda on Ebay, up coming midnight madness, and staying up till 3 AM building dioramas) that she gets just a little ****ed but not too much. So take my advice, if it's just a first date or something, don't let them know. But if you are looking at a relationship, you better tell them, and at the right and comfortable time too.

Dar' Argol
04-20-2002, 02:13 AM
My wife was never into SW. She just rolled her eyes at me whenever I brought something new home. Then I took her to see TPM. She loved it. A couple weeks after that during a weekend she grabed my OT and tossed it at me and said "Lets watch the Trilogy". :eek:! So now its not that bad. As a matter of fact she's the one who got me my Pepsi Dath Maul Stand-up. I was off work that day and she spoke tp the Pepsi guy and brought it home for me :D.

As long as we are not strapped for cash, she doesn't care. But b/4 the Sneak Peaks came out, it was something like 4 months since I bought a SW fig. Come on Mon!!!!

Lord Malakite
04-20-2002, 03:22 AM
Do multiple personalities count? Because if they do, all of us agree, Star Wars rocks. We're all into the toys too.

2-1B
04-20-2002, 03:43 AM
What happened to that old thread about someone whose girlfriend hated his toys? That was a cool thread, but I cannot find it. If anyone knows where it is, please direct us to it. :cool:

jedi_uk73
04-20-2002, 06:56 AM
My better half generally buys me stuff if i'm unable to get out. Great girl.

She's used to the fact that I collect Star Wars, but she has a large collection of Disney's Tigger beanies, the feeling is mutual.

She moans about my collection and visa versa, but at the end of the day we buy each other stuff when we get the chance. Only problem is, remembering what we already have!!!!

Wooooof
04-20-2002, 07:36 AM
She doesn't, and that's the way I like it! If she starts getting sassy, I just hit the 'quick release' valve!

Obi-Don
04-20-2002, 08:05 AM
My best part is really good about my SW collecting. I don't spend want I don't have, which helps a lot. She even got up set because the money I was saving for the new figures coming out had to be used for something else and now it looks like I will have to wait til later. That showed me how much she cares about me. Shes great, then again she did married me.:D

Eternal Padawan
04-20-2002, 08:54 AM
My "significant other" had never seen the movies when we started going out in '97. Now she can carry on conversations when I begin musing whether Tarkin knew Obi Wan was still alive or Why Qui Gon didn't dissappear.

She gets perturbed when I spend lots of money (she's wating for a ring) or leave vintage ships all over the living room floor, but the whole place is covered in posters and figures and shes cool with it, so I guess I'm lucky. She could be Anti-SW altogether.

Jargo
04-20-2002, 08:01 PM
"Do you really need another Anakin figure?" "Haven't you spent rather a lot this month?" "Where are you going to put another ship?" "You maxed out my credit card!!!"

My partners cool with it all and really supports my hobby. even to the point of buying me extra figures if i don't have enough spare cash. That's how I got some of my POTJ sandtroopers and biker scouts. :) I have no complaints about my partner and my hobby not mixing.

JetsAndHeels
04-20-2002, 08:04 PM
Thats great that you all have supportive mates. My last girlfriend wasnt too crazy about it. She did see the movie with me and stuff, but I could just tell she was getting very tired of it.
Well one day I shall meet the perfect lady who will love SW as much as I!!

BoShek
04-20-2002, 08:37 PM
I have been chatting with someone online. I don't know how to break it to her that I have a ton of action figures and I spend most of my money on them!

JetsAndHeels
04-20-2002, 08:39 PM
Just be honest!! If they dont like you for that, you dont need them anyway!!

jobi
04-20-2002, 09:07 PM
My wife calls me a freak and tells me I have enough. But she still let's me get stuff, She knew I was into Star Wars collecting before we got together. All and all she's cool with it even tells me to go shopping when we have a little extra cash.(I think that's the only time she gets some time to herself, I usually bring my son with me.) So basically she's cool with it.

Bosskman
04-20-2002, 11:16 PM
I'm terrified of telling any girl I'm interested in that I collect SW toys. Now I understand the whole "if she doesn't because of that she's not worth it thing" but I just can't help at feel that the hobby is so misunderstood that, until a girl knows me a little better and vice versa, it would be better to hold of on showing her my room full of plactic. Thankfully I've grown out of the stage that every guy goes through where we spend exorbent amounts of money on booze and cover charges just to pick up some skank in a bar, and am now looking for a more serious relationship based on other things than just that nasty business. There was one girl at school who seemed like the type that might think it was an OK hobby and then I heard her say she hated Star Wars. I immediately crossed her off the list. I have met some girls, even some real good looking ones, in the toy aisle and a lot of my friends who are girls either think it's cool, or don't really care but I'm so afraid of being confused with someone like the Comic Book Guy that I usually don't say anything. I just picture myself on Mad TV's lowered expectations and that's the end of that. Hopefully some day, hopefully soon, I'll meet a girl who understands my hobby, and my weirdness in general.

dr_evazan22
04-20-2002, 11:51 PM
My last serious girlfriend HATED that i collected! When we moved in together she limited my collection to one room in the basement and my room upstairs, where, before it was spread all over. E1 also came out a month after we moved in together. She was upset that I didn't ask her if she wanted to go to C1 w/ me, but I knew she hated it, so why bother?

When E1 came out I asked her if she wanted to come; I had asked a bunch of friends, and we were going as a group. Knowing how she felt, I didn't care whether she went or not, I just wanted to know. That was a fight that went on for a week!

One great thing in her favor: When I went to her parents for a couple days over X-mas, they pulled out of their closet a tube of posters from Proctor and Gamble from '77 or '78. It was 3 different posters, and at least 10 copies of each- Mint condition! They gave me 2 of each. I've had 1 of each mounted and hung on the wall.

Getting ready for C2 I asked a buddy from work to watch and feed my cats while I'm gone. He knows I like SW but has never been over. Over the last couple of months I've been going thru the collection: hanging ships from cieling, changing displays and rearranging what I have boxed up so that I can make more room.

Right now, I am w/out a girlfriend, and I'm looking for a SW chick to share w/ (I'm a MANly man, but I'm not afraid to get in touch w/ my emotions. I like nature walks, walking on the beach, reading, and watching Oprah {Yeah!}. If your the one for me please PM.)

stillakid
04-21-2002, 01:05 AM
My wife tolerates it. She's known that I've always been a huge fan since we met years ago. She's certainly not a nut like the rest of us, but she enjoys watching the films. I'll show her the occasional figure that I think she'll be impressed with, but for the most part, my collecting hobby isn't a topic of conversation...until friends come over and she just has to show them my collection. Usually they all just stand there shaking their heads in disbelief, wondering what's wrong with me. But, then they have to admit that it's kind of cool. I usually get called deranged or something, but then everyone moves on and treats me as usual. So, in the end, it isn't a big deal to anyone, even my wife. Thank god!

But, my second wife...that'll be a different story! ;)

2-1B
04-21-2002, 02:04 AM
Stillakid, has Rick McCallum ever visited your home? He's been known to call fans "deranged." :D

Bosskman
04-21-2002, 07:12 AM
Wht on earth would anybody let Rick McCallum into their house?

Jargo
04-21-2002, 09:26 AM
NB: See reptiles as pets thread..... :D

Pendo
04-21-2002, 09:52 AM
My wife HATED my Star Wars obsession. She wouldn't even let me use my Star Wars bed covers!!! I had to argue with her to let me keep my Star Wars collection in the house, she wanted them in the garage!!! She let me keep them in the spare bedroom in the end :).
As an April fool one year she changed my Internet settings to stop me from going on any of the Star Wars websites!!!
I got her back, I put my Star Wars Soundtrack on full blast and she didn't know how the turn the CD player off, lol!

PENDO!

Mandalorian Candidat
04-22-2002, 11:14 AM
My wife at first was like, "What a waste of money," which I kind of agree with. I've slowly worn her out with all my purchases and trips to WM/Target/etc. Now she's at the point where if she finds something HTF or that I don't have yet, she gets a good rush.

Patience my friends, patience.

El Chuxter
04-25-2002, 03:41 PM
When I first started dating my girlfriend, I wasn't sure how to tell her I had an army of little men. She was rather accepting when I did tell her. Over time, she's slowly become more and more "into it"--first calling me from a store to tell me they had "some kind of Princess Leia figure," later getting me the Star Wars Chronicles as a gift, and last night telling me I couldn't read Boba Fett: The Fight to Survive because it had spoilers. . . and then grabbing it from me and reading it. And she's insisted on playing with the Slave One and a couple of other AOTC toys I got this week.

JetsAndHeels
04-25-2002, 04:39 PM
Well she is definately a keeper then, isnt she Chux?
Its good to see that your mates are accepting of your hobby. I cant say I was so lucky though. My ex got a little tired of it. She never said it, but I could tell. I did what I could to save the relationship, but it was too late (by the way, SW was in no way the reason we split up).
But there are more fish in the sea!!

Jargo
04-25-2002, 09:54 PM
Mine went out and bought me stuff this week. I was only after Dexter and When my partner came back the bag had four Supey battle droids in it too AND another Geonosian warrior. And they were all a gift! AND they came from more than one location which means my partner had been driving round while I slept hunting for stuff for me. Now that's a well trained lover. If i could bottle that I'd make a fortune...... :crazed: Now if I could just train P up a bit more I could get that Dooku figure sooner than I hoped for..... :D

Darth Cruel
05-02-2002, 10:32 PM
My ex-wife HATED my collection and she is gone,my fiance LOVES it and she will be with me forever! See the way that worked out?

Who knew 25 years ago that these figures would eventually help us all weed out the unworthy mates!

RooJay
05-02-2002, 11:54 PM
I don't think any of the women I've ever dated have had a problem with my love of Star Wars. If any of them had then I probably wouldn't have gone out with them (notice I said PROBABLY! Sometimes you gotta overlook the little differences; even if just for a good 15 minutes or so!;) ) My current girlfriend (and only true soulmate!) loves it! She just can't help bringing me new Star Wars toys as gifts! Since I've been out of work for a while now, almost all the Saga figures I have now are because of her! I keep telling her she needs to stop spending money on me, but it doesn't work. She's never seemed to into Star Wars personally, but she thinks it's cool anyway, and she can't wait until AOTC either!
In my opinion, and this is just MY opinion, if a woman isn't willing to take you the way you are then it's probably best that she doesn't take you at all, but what do I know?