PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Celebration II Figure REVEALED - Jorg Sacul

SirSteve
04-19-2002, 05:20 PM
http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=31&show_article=147

Now, what do you think?

JediTricks
04-19-2002, 05:21 PM
It's funny to see Lucas' head on such a scrawny body, but I bet Hasbro wouldn't dare put that head on a Porkins' body. ;)

Still, I like the presentation here, I wish I could get my hands on one since I'm not going to Cel2.

ramblinj
04-19-2002, 05:26 PM
I wonder how limited these will be at C2? Do you think they will make enough to go around or will we have to be in line the second the doors open?

Gary

sith_killer_99
04-19-2002, 05:27 PM
YUCK!!!

Meesa no likein'

Seriously will EVERYTHING released in 2002 have a Silver Anniversary logo?

Dryanta
04-19-2002, 05:27 PM
Now I have to really think hard about if I really want a George lucas in x-wing gear figure.It's him with a really lame name gimmick. Jorg Sacul:rolleyes: I'llhave to think about this one for awhile.Seriously

O.K. done thinking.Since a fellow forumite so graciously agreed to help me get one of these a while back I'm gonna go for it.I'll just think of him as another pilot.

Beast
04-19-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by SirSteve
http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=31&show_article=147
Now, what do you think?
Pretty cool, will be a great addition to those breifing room dioramas. Hopefully they make these avaliable thru the fan club like they did the Vader's, but in largr quantities. Or someone will be kind enough to aquire one at Cel2 for me. I really want one!!

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

BanthaPoodoo
04-19-2002, 05:30 PM
Same here. I will be more than happy to get whatever for whoever, whenever, in exchange for this figure!

BigAl415
04-19-2002, 05:46 PM
Hi all, just wondering if I was the only person that noticed that Sacul is Lucas backwards. Cool, huh?
~BigAl415

Dryanta
04-19-2002, 05:49 PM
Yeah I caught that too:) welcome by the way.Hope to hear more from you around here:)

Jedi Teacher
04-19-2002, 06:09 PM
I like it!!!!!!!

I'll definitely be picking up 1 (or more) at Celebration II!!!

I can try to get more for people that are unable to attend. Don't worry--I'm not a scalper :D

Can anybody confirm if the helmet is removeable? It appears so, by I wasn't sure.

Tycho
04-19-2002, 06:09 PM
Great pics of the Exclusive. With the helmet on, he doesn't look as dumb as I thought he would. I might get this. If there's nothing better to do during some time while I'm at the Con. If I did buy it, it would be to OPEN.

I'd put him in either my Yavin Base Diorama, or more likely amongst my Endor Pilots Briefing Scene. Helmet ON!

Note however, the Jurassic Park figures amongst other have those amongst them that come close to stuff George would wear if you want to make a custom "director" for your SW scenes.

I DON'T!!!

Meanwhile, Rick McCallum in Gungan Sentry Disguise would be a great follow-up to this winner! Ya think?

force
04-19-2002, 06:17 PM
Well, maybe I'm stating what has been mentioned already, but has anyone notices that Lucas is Sacul backwords.

SuperBattleDroid88
04-19-2002, 06:18 PM
Is it official of this actually being George Lucus?
There is a lot of things telling me that it is....
Lucas=sacuL
It looks like Goeorge Lucus.........
I don't know....... :rolleyes:

Beast
04-19-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
Meanwhile, Rick McCallum in Gungan Sentry Disguise would be a great follow-up to this winner! Ya think?
Nah, that doesn't fit with his personality...and gives gungans a bad name. Why not since Ricky is such an advisor to Lucas on the prequels, and also consider by many fans the ultimate evil in the universe.... "Rick McCallum: Imperial Dignitary" :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dryanta
04-19-2002, 06:23 PM
How about Ricky with fan damage?
You know he looks like he just went through a real beating from Star Wars fans who are convinced he's an idiot

Tycho
04-19-2002, 06:39 PM
We just received this premier photo of the Cellbration 3 Rick McCallum Exclusive Action Figure!

Check it out!

This is the Gungan Sentry Character, Bombad Sergeant Mulla-Mulla Kir!

Surviving on a diet of bugs and raw fish he kills while on partol, Mu-Mu, as he prefers to be called, keeps Otah Gunga safe from mature human audiences amongst the Naboo, or from Offworld, who might otherwise criticize the city's importance or production design. Mu-Mu's loyal to Boss Nass, and the citizens can credit Sergeant Kir for keeping Otah Gunga exactly the way it is.

SirStevesGuide.com is proud to bring you this exclusive picture of Sergeant Mulla-Mulla Kir of the Gungan Defense Force (quite literally).

Beast
04-19-2002, 06:43 PM
Oh god no!!! Bad Tycho, you just gave Caeser a new picture to use for his avatar. That thing is bombad scary. :eek: Someone needs to be kept away from Photoshop after sniffing his mouse droid. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Tenebrous
04-19-2002, 06:47 PM
I think they could have upped the coolness factor by doing the George Lucas head, plus the flight suit, and the flannel/pants outfit. Then they could have done the head peg so that it could fit into Vader (Dagobah)

Ah, such a wonderful opportunity limited, bastardized, and crushed by Hasbro. :rolleyes:

Turbowars
04-19-2002, 06:52 PM
Don't some of you guys think this looks kind of stupid? They should have made him with his street clothes and printed his name correctly. Hasbro should have presented Lucus as a director, not some lame pilot. I suppose Lucus wanted it like this, so what he says goes. Don't get me wrong, I still want it.

Dryanta
04-19-2002, 06:59 PM
That's why I really seriously had to decide whether or not I really still wanted the Cel 2 figure.It strikes me as cheesey and not much more than an ego trip for GL.

SirSteve
04-19-2002, 07:02 PM
I agree turbowars. I remember during Hasbro Q & A at San Diego, people asked if George Lucas would ever be made into a figure and they said, "I don't recall George being in a Star Wars movie." Well, neither was Jorg Sacul.

Jargo
04-19-2002, 07:04 PM
Hmmmmmm, whatever will they expend valuable time energy and resources on next. It's okay for those who actually would want a Lucas figure to make a shrine with. it's just another pilot for customisers and diorama builders. It's a kissassy gesture as far as I'm concerned. Like george is the only person involved in bringing star wars to the silver screen. I think I'd rather have had a figure of Joe Johnston. Or Ralph McQuarrie. Or Gary Kurtz. Or John Williams. Or John Mollo. Or Stuart Freeborn. Or Ben Burtt. I think Lucas gets enough attention as it is without lording him in toyland.

I suppose for those who were unhappy about JarJar it affords them the opportunity to make little voodoo dolls and stick pins in and burn and all manner of unpleasant tortures..... hmmmmm, maybe geting one isn't such a bad idea after all.......

SithDroid
04-19-2002, 07:07 PM
Well since I am unable to go to Celebration II, could someone who is going pick one up for me? I'd be willing to pay for it plus the shipping. Please PM me if you can help out.

RooJay
04-19-2002, 07:11 PM
:cry: Another figure I probably won't have a shot at owning at a decent price.

Turbowars
04-19-2002, 08:31 PM
Hey guys, I was looking at the photo again and it looks like a custom job. Are we sure this is the real thing SirSteve? If it is, it must be a mock up, or a really bad first shot. Here's a little personal beef I have with the Celebration. Why isn't it being held in Movie Land "Hollywood"? I mean I only live about 10 miles from there.;) I know Indiana is more of a central location, but it should be held where movies are supposedly made and "I" would have a way better change of getting a lame X-Wing Lucus. Maybe one of these days.;)

Sean the Hutt
04-19-2002, 08:37 PM
I want to go but probably won't... I have republic credits! seriously, I would pay for it plus add in something cool..anything you need? star tours stuff?

RooJay
04-19-2002, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by turbowars
Hey guys, I was looking at the photo again and it looks like a custom job. Are we sure this is the real thing SirSteve? If it is, it must be a mock up, or a really bad first shot. Here's a little personal beef I have with the Celebration. Why isn't it being held in Movie Land "Hollywood"? I mean I only live about 10 miles from there.;) I know Indiana is more of a central location, but it should be held where movies are supposedly made and "I" would have a way better change of getting a lame X-Wing Lucus. Maybe one of these days.;)

Better yet, why have neither of the Star Wars Celebrations taken place in Marin county where Skywalker Ranch is located, or elswhere in the SF bay area where the Lucasfilm is located, and where George Lucas is from?

Sith Vicious
04-19-2002, 09:09 PM
Man, this is lame. All the hype and this is what they give us. What was Sansweet saying we'd definitely want to open this for? So we can see George without his helmet? This was the thing I was most looking forward to getting at Celebration II, and now I barely care if I get it or not.

Battle Droid
04-19-2002, 09:12 PM
Well this is one time that I'm not going to say EXCLUSIVES SUCK!

I wouldn't want it if it wasn't an exclusive.

Beast
04-19-2002, 09:19 PM
I find it funny how often people used to say..."I want a George Lucas figure" and now the majority of people are saying that they don't want the figure. Just seems pretty funny to me. Oh well, the less people that want them, the more chance I have of getting one without paying a arm and a leg. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
04-19-2002, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I find it funny how often people used to say..."I want a George Lucas figure" and now the majority of people are saying that they don't want the figure. Just seems pretty funny to me. Oh well, the less people that want them, the more chance I have of getting one without paying a arm and a leg. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks We wanted a Lucus figure yes, not a King of Star Wars Sucul X-Wing figure! Where's the flannel. Hey maybe they'll throw in a change of clothes;)

Amanamike
04-19-2002, 09:40 PM
If any of you go there let me know Id like one of those figures, they look kinda cool. So what if its George Lucas, still a great piece to own. So let me know when you get back guys, I would appreciate someone being able to pick me up one. I dont mind paying a few extra bucks for your time.

Lord Malakite
04-19-2002, 09:57 PM
I like it. Now we'll have a George Lucas figure to commemorate the Star Wars toy line and best of all, he won't look out of place since he is disguised as an unknown Expanded Universe figure.
As for him looking funny, you could fix that problem two ways. First, you could switch his body with Porkins so he looks like the George Lucas of today. The other option would be to repaint his hair and beard black. Now you have 1970's George Lucas.

fourtwo
04-19-2002, 10:22 PM
i'll do what everyone else did who can't make it to celebration II and offer up my first born child for the fig.
:D

the official site says it is a great sculpt and i look forward to seeing the images when it comes around.

Lord Malakite
04-19-2002, 10:26 PM
The official site has put the following information up about the figure along with a non glared pic.

And the Celebration II Exclusive Action Figure is... COMMANDER JORG SACUL!
He has played a central role in the Star Wars saga. To his troops, he is a fearless fighter and renowned for his inner strength and ability to remain calm under fire. He has long mentored the younger pilots in his X-wing squadron. Want to know more about him?

Now, for the first time, Commander Jorg Sacul has been turned into a 3 3/4-inch action figure by Hasbro, exclusively available on the primary market at Star Wars Celebration II, May 3-5 at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis. While the figure has been produced in extremely limited numbers compared to other action figures, there will be plenty available for collectors. The figure is priced at $10, and will be limited to two per purchase. Quantities will be apportioned for each day of the show in the Celebration II store to insure that attendees will be able to buy the figure, which will be on a special Celebration II logo card with the Commander's biography on the back.

His helmet is removable to see a great likeness of Commander Sacul, thanks to the Real-Scan technology of Gentle Giant Studios and the fine work of Hasbro sculptors.

jedihunter25
04-19-2002, 10:46 PM
Well I'm not too impressed. When doors opens up on Friday at 10 AM, I'll be running for the leather binder with the silver logo on it instead of this figure. Only fifty of these are made.

2-1B
04-19-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Sith Vicious
What was Sansweet saying we'd definitely want to open this for?

Good question, that's the first thing I thought of . . . I suspected Sansweet wasn't very reliable in that statement, and this news confirms it. :D

Not a bad choice, but I would prefer Rick in Stormtrooper disguise. ;)

Speaking of turning directors into figures - Is it true that the pic on the POTF2 AT-ST Driver card is that of Richard Marquand?

As for the other filmmakers, I'd rather get Rick and Ben Burtt in Naboo getups, or Trisha from the Senate. At least they aren't EU ! :D

Jedi_Rainman
04-20-2002, 12:17 AM
I will pay however much I have too to get this figure. It'll make a great addition to my 25th anniversary set with my Toyfair Darth Vader.

stillakid
04-20-2002, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Dryanta
How about Ricky with fan damage?
You know he looks like he just went through a real beating from Star Wars fans who are convinced he's an idiot

LOL! That is one of the funniest things I've read here in a long time! (insert laughing avatar here)

Lord Tenebrous
04-20-2002, 12:38 AM
Star Wars producer Rick McCallum has stunned fans of the Sci-Fi epics, by branding them "deranged". As devotees prepare for next month's release of Episode II: Attack Of The Clones, McCallum - who has worked on all five movies - has spoken out about followers of the cult classic. He says, "There is a group of people who are seriously deranged and who we love dearly. That's what makes Star Wars work, in a strange way."

One begets the other. :rolleyes:

c7-yb
04-20-2002, 01:10 AM
The George Lucas figure is lame. At least it's not some gay repack.

Thanks for being the first on that one, Steve! How much longer before Rebelscum takes over this site?

Here's hoping to not that long...

Beast
04-20-2002, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by c7-yb
The George Lucas figure is lame. At least it's not some gay repack. Thanks for being the first on that one, Steve! How much longer before Rebelscum takes over this site? Here's hoping to not that long...
:rolleyes:

Lord Malakite
04-20-2002, 01:17 AM
I take your from Rebelscum c7-yb. ;)

Jedi_Rainman
04-20-2002, 01:19 AM

Thanks for being the first on that one, Steve! How much longer before Rebelscum takes over this site?

If you don't like SSG then I'd suggest you leave.

Omega Fett
04-20-2002, 01:23 AM
sorry iam alittle new to conventions and stuff but is this figure at some convention or at the ovie theaters......thanks please dont flame lol

Wooooof
04-20-2002, 01:33 AM
If rebelscum wants this site they will have to go through us first!:mad:

Anyhoo, back to the point, I've never eally been interested in having a Lucas figure. Although, like Jar Jar says many have been asking for this toy forever. Why is beyond me. Maybe if I was making a Rebel Base diorama I would want one; but I'm not so I don't.:p

Tycho
04-20-2002, 01:58 AM
"Oh boy. More children to play with!"

First, I'm a Californian and sure, a celebration at a driveable distance is always nice, like the San Diego Comic Con which is 15 minutes from my home.

But what about the rest of the country? Selfish dudes... I hope Celebration 3 is in Idaho or South Carolina. They don't get these kinds of events there.

To my fellow Californians who are complaining: the cost of living is high enough in this state, get through school, get better jobs, and get plane tickets and a hotel like the rest of us do!

We have Disneyland, Magic Mountain, Sea World, the GoldenGate Bridge, skiing, surfing (the Pacific Ocean), Hollywood, Napa Valley, etc. Let somebody else be proud of what their hometown hosts too (and get down to ComicCon and quit complaining!) They show just about all the material they do at these Celebrations by the summertime and ComicCon anyway - then the Magic of the Myth tour traveled and was already in California - and finally, a heck of a lot of the stars live here - so chase them up and down Wilshire with an autograph pen and your action figures, but respect the rest of the fans from out of state too please!

To Non-Californians complaining - vacation someplace else anyway! We don't need the traffic!

Next, to this stupid internet war and whatever... this is between the webmasters, not the rest of us on Staff at various sites. 2 of my better Star Wars fan friends are on Staff at Rebelscum and they would be ashamed of someone going into SSG forums and making attacking statements. You don't see me doing that in RS's forums and I am registered there and post occasionally, but never about inter-site relations. I was also registered at CollectStarWars.com - and I was Tycho at all 3 sites, not hiding behind a psuedo-name so people couldn't tell who I was.

Control your 'tendancies.' No matter what you accuse SirSteve of, ask yourself if you are setting a higher example?

Finally, about the reasons to go to the convention:

I went to Denver's and had a great time meeting fans from all over the world, and just talking about Star Wars like we do here. It was awesome to meet some of the stars of Star Wars and ask them questions and just kick back and chat with some of them - especially Anthony Daniels (C-3PO) - by far the coolest Star Wars star you'll have a chance to meet there! He saved the Denver Con by starting it early and getting thousands of drenched fans out of the cold and rain. There was never a doubt the man (and the droid) are true Rebels! (and I roll my eyes and always have lost patience with Threepio's lines and character) but Mr. Daniels is the best!

The behind the scenes footage, new trailers, tone poem musical pieces, props and movie costumes and replicas, not to mention the fans' homemade stuff, plus Hasbro's displays of all their upcoming products and the chance to talk to them and tell them how badly you want [a 40-foot tall AT-AT....etc] in your collection is a great time in itself. Trivia contests, EU authors, comic artists, people behind the scenes of the New Jedi Order, A'sharad Hett and Quinlan Vos, all the more reasons to enjoy the shows.

Shopping is something you can stay at home and do at your local Wally-Store or even online.

Going to the show for a George Lucas figure they will probably offer online (maybe in different packaging - maybe not) is hardly a reason! We polled the fans a while back before you knew what the exclusive was, and this was hardly the top reason for going to Indianapolis for the Celebration!

I'll tell you, if I have a choice between standing in line to get this, or any autographs or whatever kind of memorobilia, versus attending events like Ray Park's martial arts demonstrations / stunt shows, I'll take my fond memories over my discord over standing in lines for my memorobilia any day.

My memories are mine, they are prescious to me, and they don't need to be sealed in a Star Case or laminated in order for me to safely appreciate them!

A lot of people here might have just been given the chance for new things to consider. Take a crack at it!

SirSteve
04-20-2002, 02:06 AM

I guess I should bite my tongue on this one...

Beast
04-20-2002, 02:06 AM
Well said Tycho, you have earned yourself a Klondike bar. :D I don't get the forum wars either, we are all Star Wars fans, shouldn't we all try to be friends with one another? It just seems so silly sometimes when the mud starts getting flung, and people start getting hurt over the movies and toys. :(

Originally posted by SirSteve
I guess I should bite my tongue on this one...
Might be the best idea. I know how it is, wanting to respond to stuff like this, but I'm starting to try to control responding to stuff like that when directed at me. It's tough sometimes, but here have a Klondike bar. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dar' Argol
04-20-2002, 02:39 AM
I never understood these"Site-Wars" that go on. The only thing I can think of is its kinda like sports. Everyone has a favorite team. Doesn't matter the sport, baseball, football, hockey, marbles . . . . . . . nevermind. So everyone is passionate about "their" team. But now, what happens if your team doesn't make it to the "big game"(i.e. Superbowl, World Series, etc.)? You start to root for your favorite out of the 2 that are there. I really think its not a "team" issue. I think when it all comes down to it, and you strip everything else away, it a love for the game. Doesn't matter who's playing, you love the game.

That's the way it should be between us SW fans. We all have our favorite "teams". Some of use like this team. Others likes Rebelscum's team. Others like the offical team. But we all love the "Game". And I know there are rivalries(sp) between sports teams. But that should not be the same here. We are not going for any kind of Championship Trophey here. There are no Oscars for best forum, or info. A site does not get canceled like so many "flash in the pan" sitcoms.

We all love one main thing and that is SW. We will endlessly debate over how bad/good the new figs look. Over what scenes we can't wait to see, which ones we cringe over, and what GL has done wrong/right. And this is common on all SW sites. So why then does one site have to be better then another. Why must there be this constant battle? I have visited most of these sites and spent some time there. I just decided that I like this "team". And I respect everyone for their choice in "teams". I do not belittle anyone for whatever site they choice to frequent. I do not get angry when another site has news faster then someone else. I am happy with compition(sp), because that ,above all esle, brings out the best in people.

And now that I am down off my soapbox, I just want to say, "It matters to me not, just as long as it is Star Wars!" - Dar' Argol

3rdamention
04-20-2002, 02:52 AM
This is an incredible figure. Hello everyone, my first post.

Will this figure be available every day? Is it located in the store i would assume?

I read they are breaking up the order so there are some for everyday. That would be nice.

Beast
04-20-2002, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by 3rdamention
This is an incredible figure. Hello everyone, my first post.
Will this figure be available every day? Is it located in the store i would assume?
I read they are breaking up the order so there are some for everyday. That would be nice.
Welcome to the forums, here is your complimentary basket of duct tape and POTJ Jar Jar Binks figure. :D You pretty much answered your own question. Here is the info on availability from the official Star Wars website.:

While the figure has been produced in extremely limited numbers compared to other action figures, there will be plenty available for collectors. The figure is priced at $10, and will be limited to two per purchase. Quantities will be apportioned for each day of the show in the Celebration II store to insure that attendees will be able to buy the figure, which will be on a special Celebration II logo card with the Commander's biography on the back.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Malakite
04-20-2002, 03:04 AM
Yeah they will be available every day and will be located in the store. The limit is two per purchase, so guess you can get more than two a day if wanted to. You just have to visit the store several times before they are sold out for the day.

hairless chewie
04-20-2002, 06:41 AM
How long before the E-bay vermin get a hold of this???? I can imagine a guy running to his hotel room to get on his laptop to start the bidding. Is everyone else who can't get to the Celebration gonna get hosed on this or will the fan club get it?? Maybe a recarded version with fan club markings on it? This along with the Outlandish $$$$$ for the shuttle are going to make for a very annoying summer. Oh yeah, plus all that EP II stuff coming out. Looks like I'll be living on Ramen noodles for the summer!!!

:stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

hairless chewie
04-20-2002, 06:45 AM
How long before the E-bay vermin get a hold of this???? I can imagine a guy running to his hotel room to get on his laptop and start the bidding. Is everyone else who can't get to the Celebration gonna get hosed on this or will the fan club get it?? Maybe a recarded version with fan club markings on it? This along with the Outlandish $$$$$ for the shuttle are going to make for a very annoying summer. Oh yeah, plus all that EP II stuff coming out. Looks like I'll be living on Ramen noodles for the summer!!!

wampa88
04-20-2002, 09:14 AM
That is funny about the comments of not putting Lucas on Porkins body...I'm sure this sculpt is from the 70's and not current time. I will not be able to attend C2, but anyone (not scalper) that can get an extra, I would be willing to buy one or trade for one. LMK!

Bosskman
04-20-2002, 09:20 AM
I never thought of George Lucas as narcissistic until I saw this completly useless figure. That wookie scout from that game was a FAR superior figure -- and I never got that one because IT was crap. I won't shed any tears over never getting this piece of junk!

Bosskman
04-20-2002, 09:24 AM
BTW, that figure should have been made with a PORKINS body at least! This one reminds me of that episode of the Simpsons where Homer's looking in the mirror and his mirror image is able to move his pecs individually!

I'd rather see a figure of that Rick McCallum guy from TPM!!!!

Fire away!

jobi
04-20-2002, 10:04 AM

But what about the rest of the country? Selfish dudes... I hope Celebration 3 is in Idaho or South Carolina. They don't get these kinds of events there.

I agree:D

Turbowars
04-20-2002, 10:41 AM
"Oh boy. More children to play with!"

"Respect" this shows no respect!

To my fellow Californians who are complaining: the cost of living is high enough in this state, get through school, get better jobs, and get plane tickets and a hotel like the rest of us do!

We have Disneyland, Magic Mountain, Sea World, the GoldenGate Bridge, skiing, surfing (the Pacific Ocean), Hollywood, Napa Valley, etc. Let somebody else be proud of what their hometown hosts too (and get down to ComicCon and quit complaining!) They show just about all the material they do at these Celebrations by the summertime and ComicCon anyway - then the Magic of the Myth tour traveled and was already in California - and finally, a heck of a lot of the stars live here - so chase them up and down Wilshire with an autograph pen and your action figures, but respect the rest of the fans from out of state too please!

Dude relax, this has nothing to do with respect. You make it sound like the rest of the country have nothing to offer. Maybe some people should show some repect to them. We are not talking about publics rights or political views. We are talking about a Star Wars convention. You make it sound like a Congress meeting, though I sure wouldn't want to go to that! Just because CA has some nice land marks, doesn't mean that it shouldn't be held there. Hell it would be nice if it was somewhere on the west coast and thats a personal view OK! I won't be going because the dame thing would have put back about $1500 and thats 1500 that I don't have, plus time. So if some of you guys can afford it, great and I'm happy that some can. I really wanted to go since I missed the shows here is CA. Oh by the way Disneyland is over rated and if you like to hanging around gang members then you might like Magic Mountain.

Starfig873
04-20-2002, 11:53 AM
*weaves through the posts*

I just think it's a funny idea frankly. And hopefully I can pick one up somehow (I'm not attending the Celebration II) without eBaying for it.
Still, I like the sculpt, and agee that he should have been fatter. *laughs* though if I were to be an action figure I'd ask for a more trim body too ;) :D

Magnolia-Fan
04-20-2002, 12:44 PM
You guys wanna see something sick?

Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1724047824

Lord Malakite
04-20-2002, 12:55 PM
That not the only one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1724250565

c7-yb
04-20-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Lord_Malakite
Yeah they will be available every day and will be located in the store. The limit is two per purchase, so guess you can get more than two a day if wanted to. You just have to visit the store several times before they are sold out for the day.

And you can bet Sir Steve won't be selling any on Ebay. I remember him putting "his friend's" Toy Fair Vader for sale (link to the auction here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1704631040 ) to pay for $250 worth of rechargable, which I think is a bunch of bull. Why do I say that? Follow this link, and you tell me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1326847776

Really, I don't care. He can sell what he wants to whom he wants. I'd like to see a receipt for his donation. Bill Cable over at Creature Cantina has been calling him out for months. Has he answered? Nope. I wonder why....

Lord Tenebrous
04-20-2002, 01:12 PM
We don't need hecklers here, C-7.

Dryanta
04-20-2002, 01:13 PM
no one wants to hear it.Email Steve and leave us out of it would you please.If you are trying to do us over here a favor,don't bother.You're not the first and you won't be the last.Please just go away and stop annoying us with this petty crap

plo koon 200
04-20-2002, 02:26 PM
I am very excited about this figure and will be first in line to get it due to my crappy landyard that gets me in an hour earlier. And, yes I am going to wait an additonal hour in line just for the store to open. I've always wanted a Sacul (Lucas) figure.
Despite him not coming with black cape and force lightning he is decent. I mean come on. He originally wanted to be a race car driver so what is wrong with him being an X-Wing pilot. I think this figure is an accurate representation of what he would be if he were actually born in the world he created.
Feel free to disagree with me but I truly think they actually did do a few good things with this figure.

Tycho
04-20-2002, 03:06 PM
A lot of things to respond to...

If Lucas was born in the universe he created, I think he'd be a semi-retired Jedi Master on the High Council, who just sort of sat there quietly, like a prophet.

C7 made his point. He's mad that Steve put an item on auction because our sponsor wasn't covering all the costs it took to bring you all coverage of Toy Fair. OK. Point made. Everyone can have their own opinion about that.

I appologize to Turbowars, because there is another case example where finances are tough and someone I'd truly like to see be able to go and enjoy the convention can't afford to go right now. I understand and I was a little harsh in trying to drive my point home. (I do not suggest he attends and scalps a Jorg Sacul figure to pay for his trip - wouldn't cover it anyway. Besides I bet auctioning it on E-bay won't clear more than $200 for this figure either).

To Turbowars, I'm managing my trip on about $900. I went to Priceline.com and offered 300 for my plane tickets (I have one connection along the way, and a direct flight home). Hotels could be shared with friends you might know that are also going - friends you make in the toy aisles for those who don't know where Star Wars pals come from (read sharing - and no inference to anyone was made - I was sharing how I met my SW buddies). However, I'm getting my own private suite for this trip, though it's not setting me back too much. I just wanted a nice hotel so I paid $100 a night. You can do better with price and a rental car might offset the distance. I got my car for 15 / day. Priceline.com too - and a sports car (he-he).

I spend money on food everyday no matter what location I'm in, so that doesn't really count.

But I'm also not planning on buying anything at this convention really. If I want expensive things from dealers - there's E-bay. (unless I spot a really good deal on about 15-20 E1 Naboo Royal Guards).

But dude, everyone will get all their Episode 2 toys this coming Tuesday - so you don't need to worry about that at the Con.

However, that's about 1500 if you are building dioramas or whatever (and doing 12" and exclusives too - but I think that I calculated that figure for the whole year, not just April 23. The latter could be about $600 on Tuesday. Not sure. Thrawn did the math in a post a while ago. It's not like it matters... "VISA - it's on every planet you want to be!"

Anyway, Turbowars: Magic Mountain - Gang Land? I've never really had any trouble there but once. I go about 3 times a year maybe. I've been waiting for "X" to open and haven't made it up there yet kind of work commitments. Heard it was really cool though.

But yes, I do think that SW should be more enlightened like the Jedi (versus the Senate) and Conventions should be hosted in middle-America and other more remote locations like Maine etc.

It helps Californians see the rest of the country too. I had a blast exploring Denver. Santa Fe, NM is also a wonderful city in the Southwest that could be an interesting site for a Convention.

And it's fair to the rest of the country to spread the tourism dollars around.

icatch9
04-20-2002, 04:06 PM
I hope this is just a mock up. I mean I hope the one we get is much better looking. This one just look like a proto type. Still a real cool idea. Guess we finally get the Man.

Tycho
04-20-2002, 04:16 PM
Hasbro bought Galoob in 1999 or 2000. About the time they ended the SW MicroMachines line the previous time.

They own all Galoob products now.

3rdamention
04-20-2002, 06:09 PM
IT will make me sick watching everyone going through the stores, buying stuff, then going right back through.

I hope they have stuff available all three days. That way everyone can buy stuff. I am going all three days and I have the lanyard, so I will get my stuff. But I worry about people that cant get there till saturday.

But If they split up the allotment of Exclusive figures and make them available each day, that would rock.

Beast
04-20-2002, 06:21 PM
IT will make me sick watching everyone going through the stores, buying stuff, then going right back through.
I hope they have stuff available all three days. That way everyone can buy stuff. I am going all three days and I have the lanyard, so I will get my stuff. But I worry about people that cant get there till saturday.
But If they split up the allotment of Exclusive figures and make them available each day, that would rock.
Here is the information you seek. It comes from the official Star Wars website, so I can assume it's correct :) *points 3rdamention to the following that he posted on the previous page :D*

While the figure has been produced in extremely limited numbers compared to other action figures, there will be plenty available for collectors. The figure is priced at $10, and will be limited to two per purchase. Quantities will be apportioned for each day of the show in the Celebration II store to insure that attendees will be able to buy the figure, which will be on a special Celebration II logo card with the Commander's biography on the back.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
04-21-2002, 12:46 PM
Puke and barf. I'm so not into this figure. They should have made him in his street clothes.

chewie
04-21-2002, 01:46 PM
I'd pay the $10 to get it off the shelf, but its not worth anything more than that.

Shame they won't offer that fig for sale at the SW club. Whatevah. Just another SW fig I will do without.

stillakid
04-21-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
Puke and barf. I'm so not into this figure. They should have made him in his street clothes.

I have plans to get a couple of them. If I feel motivated enough, I'll customize him with some blue jeans and flannel.

LTBasker
04-21-2002, 02:04 PM
A good Lucas fig to put where it could stand-out from the rest of the figures would be cool, but I like the way they approached this - If just Lucas won't sell well alone, then at least making it to where he could just be a background pilot would increase the sells of it. Definitely would be good for pilot customs with the removeable helmet.

snakeplkn
04-21-2002, 03:28 PM
I think where Hasbro went wrong with Toy Fair Vader is that when they sold him through the fan club, it should have been completely different card, but same figure. I didn't even buy a Toy Fair Vader because I didn't see the need for $14 plus shipping. However I will buy "Jorg Sacul" if he ever shows up there. Honestly, if they made a regular George Lucas, just one per case, it would be the hottest figure on the Star Wars market.

Snake Plissken
"A little human compassion"

plo koon 200
04-21-2002, 07:20 PM
What is really enat about his figure is the fact that it comes with a Micro Machine. It is like starting the new era of MM's and all the previous ones up until 1999 are counted as vintage. And, I still think George would be a pilot in his own universe because he wanted to be a race car driver. I do not belie he would be a Jedi unless he was the first of the Jedi and founded the entire order but that would be a fig from like 20,000 years before ANH.

SithDroid
04-21-2002, 10:18 PM
That figure would have to be of a 1977 GL.:D

RooJay
04-22-2002, 03:12 PM
I think it's a great looking figure, and honestly hope I get a chance to own him (hopefully at a decent price), but I would've liked to have an uncle George figure in a Jedi robe! Oh well, guess I'll have to customize.

Omega Fett
04-23-2002, 08:38 PM
how do i get one of these? sorry i just herd of him recently

Dryanta
04-23-2002, 08:49 PM
you need to go to celebration 2 in Indy. or find a decent forumite who's going to pick one up for you.Hope it helps

Omega Fett
04-23-2002, 08:59 PM
at the wall-mart MM,there was a guy who workd for a theater there who said they got about 500 of them and they are giving them away for free at the theaters? is this true? is this for indiana only? or this is not confirmed or a lie?

Dryanta
04-23-2002, 09:03 PM
It's a lie as best I can tell.It's a celebration 2 exclusive figure so I doubt it'll be showing up in theaters anywhere.Someone talking just to hear themselves I think.

SithDroid
04-23-2002, 09:19 PM
Once again, if anyone can help me obtain a Celebration II Jorg Sacul figure I would greatly appreciate it. PM me if you can help, I don't want to have to spend an arm and a leg to get one on ebay or from some scalper.:mad:

Omega Fett
04-23-2002, 09:52 PM
well if i had the time and money to get down there i would but indy is quite a few hours from here and i have no clue where id be going and its just not possible lol,i wish i could but still maybe the guy wasnt lying,he was one of the guys that was talking about alot of stuff with the other collectors in the line with me and he way knew what he was talking about lol but i dunno i hope its true

CooLJoE
04-24-2002, 05:05 AM
Same here. If someone can help a fellow collector out, I would love to have the Jorg Secul figure. Unfortunately I cannot make it out there due to work and being in the process of moving to a new house.

So if anyone is gonna be there and is willing to pick one up for me. Let me know. Maybe I could even grab a figure around here for you that maybe your area doesn't have. Just PM me please.

SNAYSON
04-24-2002, 08:44 AM
does anybody know if there is another way to get this figure other than attending the Celebration II convention? :(

Lord Malakite
04-24-2002, 09:45 AM
According to an email I received, there are no plans to release him other than at Celebration II.

SNAYSON
04-24-2002, 10:15 AM
BUMMER!! Oh well, looks like i won't have that fig in my collection1

LTBasker
04-24-2002, 11:21 AM
Someone called the Fan Club and they said that if the Sacul figure doesn't sell out at C2, then they'll get it.

SNAYSON
04-24-2002, 11:50 AM
that's good news. Hopefully there will be enough (doubtful though) to pass around. i never got the chance to get the darth vader toy fair figure!

audioperfection
04-25-2002, 12:29 PM
I would be willing to do anything within my power for
anybody willing to pick up one of these figures for me!
Did I mention that I sell/install A/V equipment? Maybe we could do a trade?!

3rdamention
04-25-2002, 07:53 PM
Dont worry. I will be picking up this figure. About May 6, there will be a ton of trading on this website. I would much rather trade my second figure than sell it.

artdoesart
04-26-2002, 01:44 PM
Guys,

sorry i am not sure if this is an old subject or not, but today when thinking about it... did anyone decipher that "SACUL" is "LUCAS" spelled backwards? sure i know that everyone assumed it was george with the gray beard and all but after reading the carded back and thinking about it, it came to my realization. sure this may be old news, but just in case... i thought it was cool.

Art

Taichi
04-26-2002, 01:48 PM
Yeah, it's old news......but it's still cool, innit?

Jorg Sacul=George Lucas.....it's an intentional thing....

artdoesart
04-26-2002, 01:56 PM
Taichi,

okay sorry i don't visit the boards much but just thought maybe i would get lucky... but yeah real cool... i hope i can get my hands on one of these bad boys...

thanks for the reply though and thanks for not "ripping" to pieces... have a good one.

Lord Tenebrous
04-26-2002, 02:27 PM
Don't worry, retail will get it's own cypher-named character.

The new reptilian high council Jedi, Coleman Trebor, is, of course, Robert Coleman. Whoever that is.

darkhawk411
05-01-2002, 01:40 AM
I'm in the same boat. Would love to go but just can't due to having to move.

If you'd be able to help out, please let me know. I'd hate to have to even consider ebay. I'd be willing to look for figures up here for you or just work something out.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

pthfnder89
05-01-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Omega Fett
,i wish i could but still maybe the guy wasnt lying,he was one of the guys that was talking about alot of stuff with the other collectors in the line with me and he way knew what he was talking about lol but i dunno i hope its true

I hate to take away all your hope, but I'm afraid it's pretty definite he is lying. It's only available at the Celebration. And even if they were sending it to theaters to give away with AOTC or something, they woulnd't send them out nearly this early. They would get lost or stolen WAY too easily. The Theater Lukes that they gave away at ROTJ Special Edition mostly were shipped to the Theaters the same day as the movie opened.

SithDroid
05-01-2002, 10:56 AM
Well this is my last attempt at asking for someone to PLEASE pick up a Jorg Sacul figure for me at Celebration II. I know that a couple people said they were going to pick up extras, so if you are indeed the let me know.

By the way, everyone have fun at Celebrtion II.:D

OriginalBryGuy
05-01-2002, 11:02 AM
Hey there! I live and work right here in Indy and may be able to answer some questions.

plo koon 200
05-01-2002, 05:52 PM
I am unaware of anyone else mentioning anything about his but if they have already then I am sorry. I belive that Hasbor showed George Lucas various X-Wing torso's and which one did he pick. None other than the Y-Wng fighter pilot. Just look at the picture for Jorg Sacul and your Y-wing fighter pilot. They have the same torso. I hope they change it but I doubt they will because I believe Lucas got to choose the body himself.

P.S. Does anyone know who the Y-Wing pilot is. I remember Sanswet mentioning something but I do not remember him giving away the figures name.

187-Maul
05-01-2002, 05:58 PM
yeah it was notices by some and I think they should have made a new body or just use porkins body:D
(suddenly door smashes open and lucas comes in with two big guys: no please I didn't mean to...it was just a joke...no don't...I...)

Dryanta
05-01-2002, 06:03 PM
Hey plo,
I think his name is Arvel Crynid.That's the name from the pilots cinema scene.
Hope it helps

Taichi
05-01-2002, 06:26 PM
hmm....

funny, in the Essential guide to Vehicles and Vessels (I believe) it stated that Arvel Crynyd is the A-Wing pilot who destroyed the Executor.....

Mandalorian Candidat
05-01-2002, 07:08 PM
I think he's so skinny due to his rampant use of laxatives combined with repetitive vomiting. Pretty ugly thing to do to stay thin, but he's gotta fit into all those "small" size flannel shirts. :)

hairless chewie
05-01-2002, 10:50 PM
With exclusive binge and purge action!!!!

Beast
05-01-2002, 11:02 PM
Why? Because It's Swimsuit Season. :D

Oh dear god, I just had the image of George Lucas in a swimsuit pop into my mind, and I want to claw my eyes out. :eek: :crazed:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dak Powers
05-01-2002, 11:18 PM
Arvel was an A-Wing pilot...

Dak Powers
05-01-2002, 11:19 PM
What did Ten Nunb pilot? Sorry about the double post...

LTBasker
05-02-2002, 12:12 AM
Ten Numb was a B-wing pilot.

Arvel so far is a Y-wing pilot as I think it says so on the Rebel Pilots Cinema Scene box and Hasbro would've probably have gotten their info from LucasFilm. The Essential Guides are EU which Lucas doesn't go by so if Lucas says Arvel is a Y-wing pilot, than the Essential Guide was wrong... I don't really see how people are saying he's an A-wing pilot though, they have way different suits.

As for the Sacul main body, wasn't the Y-wing pilot pack-in taken from the Biggs mold?

Yoda'sMaster
05-04-2002, 01:47 AM
2 any1 at celibration 2 how many of these figures were given out 2day? i am unable to attend the celibration and im thinken about buying one what should be a good amount 4 one?
thanks

Lord Malakite
05-04-2002, 01:39 PM
This just in from Yakface's website.

Version 1:
This is the white bearded version of Sacul. His beard is VERY white, and looks like the white looks like it was an overpaint over the gray beard. He may also have white hair on his head, but I have no confirmation, as I have not seen a white Sacul opened, and he has his helment on in the package. This version has only been seen on Saculs with a date stamp of 20771.

Version 2:
This is the gray bearded version, unlike Ponda Baba (for our freeze frame veterans), this is the most common verion--- if any Sacul figure can be said to be common. It has a deep gray colored beard with deep gray hair and light gray to white highlights.

Version 3:
This one has yellow-gray hair and beard. This version has only been seen on a painted sample, so far. Stay tuned to see if carded versions exist.

sith_killer_99
05-04-2002, 01:50 PM
I was checking out a few pictures and noticed, a shot of an X-Wing in the hangar, in the back.

Is this an insert (groan) or is the picture printed on the card.

Just curious.

Lord Malakite
05-04-2002, 01:56 PM
A backdrop insert like some of the Episode II figures have.

mark2d2
05-04-2002, 02:25 PM
Out of the blue, I just got a call from an old friend of mine who lives in Ohio. We don't talk regularly. In fact, we've kind of grown apart. Anyway, he just buzzed me on his cell and is like, "Hey! I'm at Celebration II and totally thought of you!"

"What on earth are you doing there?" (He's not a big fan or anything like me.)

"Just thought I'd check it out. It being so close and all. Anyway, I think I just bought you a present. Would you like one of these wierd exclusive figures they've got here?"

"Wait, you don't mean the one that looks like George Lucas?"

"Yeah. I mean, they let me buy two. And you're really the only person I know who might be into it. I mean, I know it sounds kinda lame. So, hey, if you don't want it -- that's cool."

"Oh, no. No! I definitely want it!"

Long story short, by Monday it'll be on it's way. Suddenly, my inability to find either Yoda or a Royal Guard doesn't seem quite so irritating today.

:evil:

Lord Malakite
05-04-2002, 02:33 PM
I'll give you a dollar for it.

Beast
05-04-2002, 02:36 PM
I'll give you 2. :)

Lord Malakite
05-04-2002, 02:38 PM
Fine, I'll give you 2 and a penny! :D

mark2d2
05-04-2002, 02:43 PM
No! It's mine. Mine! MINE!

I'm just kinda stoked because I'd given up any hope of even seeing this figure --- much less owning one. I was certainly not about to go on EBAY.

Dak Powers
05-04-2002, 03:59 PM
eBay's callin' me... As much as I hate helping scalpers (which I've only done once before with the Y-wing), if I miss out on this, where else will I get it, you know? I'm not about to find one in a pawn shop or something in a year's time. I've got every figure released (save Artoo w/ Holo Leia) since Episode I and I'm not about to let inflated prices get in the way of owning this, you know? Sad, but the only solution.

I got a few buddies from my old DF2:JK club at the con, and I asked them to pick me up one or two. Still no word, but I'm not really expecting any word until like Monday. Wish me luck!

JediDan
05-04-2002, 04:03 PM
That is awesome Mark2D2. You are gonna be the envy of alot of people, including me. ;) Hope he comes in great shape.

LTBasker
05-04-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Dak Powers
eBay's callin' me... As much as I hate helping scalpers (which I've only done once before with the Y-wing), if I miss out on this, where else will I get it, you know?

If you have to go to ebay, just wait until after the Con when people get home and stuff, many more should be listed on ebay and the prices should get out of the triple digits.

QLD
05-04-2002, 05:26 PM
My friend 12" Lando is at the show. He is supposed to be picking me one up. Though if he didn't, I wouldn't pay more than 10 dollars for it ever. It's not that cool.

Dak Powers
05-04-2002, 05:29 PM
Oh, Basker, I was going to do that anyways, 'til after my buddies get back. And Dong, I don't really care if it's cool or not, but I'm a completist, and it's a figure. The new C-3P0 isn't cool either, but I got him anyways.

swcollector
05-04-2002, 05:38 PM
Anyone else think that the collectors / fans got the shaft on this figure by not making it available to those that cant make it to C2?

I really wanted to get one of these figures to add to my collection, but since I was not able to go to C2 I am out of luck. So far the only other resource besides C2 is ebay, but I think personally that $100 + for this figure is ridiculous.

I hope that either the fan club or starwars.com steps up and helps out the fans / collectors by making this figure available to those that want one.

post your opinion.

JediDan
05-04-2002, 05:41 PM
Yes I seen it on Ebay. ALOT of them are STARTING at $100... WHEW... No thank... I will be bidding but I will not bid over $40. Looks like they are gonna be easy to get ahold of. Over 200 of them already on Ebay. I'm in no rush.

swcollector
05-04-2002, 05:46 PM
Hopefully the ebay market will be flooded with them thus dropping the price down to about $25 - 30

wishful thinking. I might consider buying one at that price.

Beast
05-04-2002, 06:00 PM
Same thing happened with the Theater Edition Luke Skywalker from the Return of the Jedi Special Edition in '97. They started selling for around $100, dropped to around $75, and the last I saw now sell for $45. And I think they were made in a smaller quantity then the Celabration II figure seems to have been. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

CrossWizard
05-04-2002, 06:10 PM
I feel a bit sorry for you, its like a sickness, you must have it regardless of whether or not its a good figure. I bet if Hasbro packaged the Millenium Falcon's Radar Dish from ROTJ's Attack on 2nd Deathstar on a card and sold it for $5.99 completists would buy it.

CrossWizard
05-04-2002, 06:14 PM
I scoff at whoever is dumb enough to pay more than $10 for this figure, in my opinion its an horrendous rehash and not that good of a figure, but oh since its from Celebration 2 it must be special and worth a lot!! :rolleyes:

stillakid
05-04-2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by CrossWizard
I feel a bit sorry for you, its like a sickness, you must have it regardless of whether or not its a good figure. I bet if Hasbro packaged the Millenium Falcon's Radar Dish from ROTJ's Attack on 2nd Deathstar on a card and sold it for $5.99 completists would buy it.

That'd be really cool, especially if packaged with a portion of the "tunnel" that knocked it off and electronic sounds. ;)

BanthaPoodoo
05-04-2002, 06:44 PM
I'll give you a Royal Guard & a Yoda in exchange for it!

JediDan
05-04-2002, 06:59 PM
Well actually it is special in the respect that it is the long awaited George Lucas figure AND that you can only buy it at the one spot for a few short days. If I'm not mistaken aren't they selling him for $12 at C2?? So in your opinion EVERYONE who buys this figure is dumb.

SuperBattleDroid88
05-04-2002, 07:02 PM
Why couldn't they of just made a George Lucus in casual clothing?
I may have wanted it more... :rolleyes:

CrossWizard
05-04-2002, 07:05 PM
So in your opinion EVERYONE who buys this figure is dumb.

Yep. :)

sith_killer_99
05-04-2002, 07:49 PM
That's too bad.

Thanx for the reply.

Lord Malakite
05-04-2002, 08:01 PM
Here's some more information from JundlandWastes about Jorg Sacul.

All that I have heard here in Indianapolis leads me to believe that Jorg Sacul is going to be very exclusive. Word is that there were 20,000 allotted for each day. The first batch was gone on Friday by 2:30 pm. With the influx of thousands more Saturday only people today, I would say that they sold out quicker today. The sad thing about this situation is that although sales are limited to 2 per person per day, there is NOTHING in place to maintain this. I have seen several people jump from one table to the next with the help of a friend collecting as many as they can fit in a bag. It also does not help that the dealers and exhibitors have first crack at the store each and every morning. I'm not telling you to run to ebay, just not to hold your breath on these things.

darth chuck
05-04-2002, 10:16 PM
I was told by someone at the celebration II store that they intended to sell 5000 a day, each day of the celebration, for a total of 15,000.

The card does have an insert behind the fig and another insert beneath the fig that has a celebration II logo. It is dated May 3-5, 2002 on the back.

LTBasker
05-04-2002, 10:53 PM
A friend of mine who went to C2 today also missed out on them because they were sold out and someone from his family ended up paying $30 to a scalper for one. :frus: :mad:

Sidiously Darth
05-04-2002, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
A friend of mine who went to C2 today also missed out on them because they were sold out and someone from his family ended up paying $30 to a scalper for one. :frus: :mad:

Now isn't that typical. I thought these figures were supposed to be limited to 2 per person per each day of the event. So let's do some math.

25,000 estimated attendance
x 2 per person
---------
50,000 figures per day
x 3 days
---------
150,000 figures

I'm sure there is no way they knew how many people would be attending the event, but I'm sure they had a good estimate to begin with. Even if they only produced half that amount (75,000) I can't believe they sold out in less than 2 days of a 3 day show. I would think it is safe to assume not everyone bought the figure. Either they were holding back some for Sunday, in which place your friend got screwed, or they under estimated their needs for the event or they were selling more than 2 per person per day. Either way, this whole mess smells of bantha poodoo!!!

:eek:

Beast
05-05-2002, 12:08 AM
They divided their supply by three, and have a third of it avaliable for each day of the show. Once they run out, that's it for that day. By the way Basker, tell your friend that the Fan Club stated that they did not allow scalping of the figure at the event. So that guy could be in major deep poodoo for doing what he did. Though I have to admit, 30.00 isn't as bad as the scalper prices they are currently running on Ebay. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
05-05-2002, 12:10 AM
Don't they have like ticket stubs or something? They should've had it to where they stamped an area on the ticket stub with info on how many you bought and on which day that way if someone tried to buy more than 2 a day, it'd be marked on their stub and they would know they've already bought them. C'mon, that's just common sense! Oh, yeah...it's Hasbro.

mark2d2
05-05-2002, 12:48 AM
My friend who was at the event today and snagged one for me (totally out of the blue, I hadn't even spoken to him in months) said it was a mob scene. Many people were lying and buying way more than the supposed two limit. I guess it was being done largely on an honor system and apparently there's no "honor" among the scalpers.

2-1B
05-05-2002, 02:21 AM
I'll give you $10 to keep it away from me! I'm so happy to not collect EU. ;)

Seriously though, congrats on your acquisition mark2d2! That's cool that your friend thought to buy one for you. :)

CooLJoE
05-05-2002, 05:46 AM
Considering they sold out at like 2:30pm the first day and like 1pm the next day (from what I'm told). Why are people getting there late anyways? If I was going to C2, I'd be at the door before it opened. Common sense. If your going for the figures, be there EARLY.

My friend and I are planning to go to C3. Don't they put on the Celebration shows before each prequel? I don't remember C1 nor when it happened so I can only base this on C2's date choice.

Jango_in_Germany
05-05-2002, 07:37 AM
were there any fans at C2 or just ebay scalpers scooping up the jorge figures?

makes me sick......:frus:

Sith Vicious
05-05-2002, 09:34 AM
I was at Celebration 2 yesterday, and I must say that it was one of the most poorly run conventions I've been to. They were supposed to begin registration at 8:00 AM. They had one line for people who had passes and one for people that were going to register on-site and pickup will call badges. Neither line moved until after 9:30. The space to allow people into the convention area once you got your badge was only large enough for one or two people to go through at once. It took a ridiculous amount of time just to get a badge and get inside. Getting there early was little help at all. I thought I heard them say they had sold out of the days allotment for Jorge at 12:00, but then they brought out more cases after people complained. I don't know if these were part of Sunday's allotment or what. Later on, I heard someone at the store announce that another 6000 of the figures would be available on Sunday. There was no regulation against buying more than 2 per day as far as I could tell, however even if you got back in line again it would've taken a very long time to get back to the front. The celebration store line was incredibly long, and even the cash only figure line was pretty extensive. I'm surprised scalpers were able to score multiples unless they attended multiple days, or brought a bunch of friends with them who weren't interested in the figs.

JediDan
05-05-2002, 09:40 AM
I'll bet about 80% of those Jorg figures will be up for sale on ebay. :rolleyes: Which is good I guess when you think about it, meaning that should drive the price down on them. So maybe it'll be a good thing.

3rdamention
05-05-2002, 12:19 PM
Cool Mark. I don know why people are so bitter about Jorg Sacul.

IT was the coolest thing at first, and now people are like "I dont want it, I never did, Keep it away from me, I wouldnt give 2 pennys for that figure"

It is a cool figure and very nice. I just think that some people are jealous/upset that they can go to Celebration and get one, and they dont want to pay collectors high prices. Sorry!

Pretty weak.

Beast
05-05-2002, 12:52 PM
Cool Mark. I don know why people are so bitter about Jorg Sacul. IT was the coolest thing at first, and now people are like "I dont want it, I never did, Keep it away from me, I wouldnt give 2 pennys for that figure" It is a cool figure and very nice. I just think that some people are jealous/upset that they can go to Celebration and get one, and they dont want to pay collectors high prices. Sorry! Pretty weak.
The point is not that we don't want to pay "collectors high prices" we don't want to pay scalpers prices. Just look at Ebay and you can tell how many scalpers got their grubby little hands on it. Currently there are 309 auctions for the figure on Ebay, add in the number of pre-sells and already closed auctions and you are looking at alot of figures that people that even went to the event got screwed out of. Hasbro said they won't make them avaliable anywhere else, except thru some promotions. So, why not allow all of us collectors to send in, 200-300 Jedi Master points and 10.00 or so, to get one, even if it's just in a white mailer box. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
05-05-2002, 01:14 PM
LOL, I just checked and there are currently 7 pages on eBay, with some fools "Buying it Now" for 100 bones! :crazed:

2-1B
05-05-2002, 01:48 PM

IT was the coolest thing at first, and now people are like "I dont want it, I never did, Keep it away from me, I wouldnt give 2 pennys for that figure"

It is a cool figure and very nice. I just think that some people are jealous/upset that they can go to Celebration and get one, and they dont want to pay collectors high prices. Sorry!

Pretty weak.

I presume you are speaking generally, but I don't want you to assume that because I said "keep it away" from me that I fit the category of jealous/upset. :)
How could we be jealous of people who are "Buying it Now" on eBay for 100 dollars? I'd rather buy the ultimate Lego Yoda. :D

sith_killer_99
05-05-2002, 02:42 PM
Honor, among scalpers? LOL, don't make me laugh...oops too late.:rolleyes:

I am SOOO glad that I am not trying to get one of these.

The "Variations" have already started to hit! Gray beard, white beard, even a yellow beard!:rolleyes:

I wonder how much Jorg without background would be worth?:eek:

Give me a break.:crazed:

LTBasker
05-05-2002, 03:30 PM
Yeah I saw one a couple days ago ended with a buy it now at $99. The fools. :stupid:

Beast
05-05-2002, 03:37 PM
I think the price on these are gonna plummet like a rock, just as soon as all the people with money to burn get theirs off ebay. :( As we have said time and time again, it takes two to scalp. The Scalpee, and the Scalper. :mad:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
05-05-2002, 03:39 PM

Pretty weak.

It's an ok figure, not really worth the $10, but that's about all I'd pay for it, maybe shipping also, but I'd definitely not go above that. It's not like it's a whole new mold or even a 2000+ mold, it appears to be the Biggs one. Sacul would make a good background pilot but is pretty poor when it comes to a Lucas figure, according to pictures with the helmet off, his head is actually too small for his body.

I won't pay Scalper (Scalper are not true SW collectors.) prices because it is ridiculous for them to even want a buck more. Why are people buying them? Because the people that bid on things like that are desperate or are the scalpers themselves trying to "raise" the value of the the figure by bidding on their own auctions so the prices go higher.

So I'm not saying keep it away from me, to get a new trilogy micro (even thought's just a different paintjob) for a new pilot figure, I'd be willing to pay the price that it came out with, but other than that, forget it, I've got other figures to buy for my collection. :happy:

Forhekset
05-05-2002, 04:07 PM
Personally if I were going to own a Lucas figure I'd like him in good ol' flannel and jeans. I'll pass on Sacul :D

Mandalorian Candidat
05-05-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Forhekset
Personally if I were going to own a Lucas figure I'd like him in good ol' flannel and jeans. I'll pass on Sacul :D

Yeah, I'm with you. He doesn't come on the Jek Porkins body and there's no trace of flannel on him. Pretty unrealistic. :)

Actually, if I had the chance to get one at the C2 price I probably would but not for what people are asking for on ebay.

Vortex
05-05-2002, 04:28 PM
Well, it will be interesting to see over the next few days how fast the price drops, or picks up depending on the quantity hasbro did pump out for this event.

They keep saying that this is an "exclusive" only to the celebratoin II people, but for the record I'd just like to state that the Toy Fair Vader had the same exclusive phrase stamped on it, and low and behold, its offered through the fan club. Same with those Celebration I badges..."you can only get them from attending" and again...they are at the fan club. Wuhur the bar keep, AT-AT Driver, Hoth Leia, Death Star Droid, Pote...these were all limited number runs they told us, but they are still being offered and didn't people report them showing up at TRU? I'm highly skeptical that this is the last time we'll see the Celebration II figure. Besides, would it be cost effective for hasbro to change a mold and paint set up for a small number of figures? They are a business and profits are the name of the game.

Hasbro is great with this double speak b.s. One minuet they say, they want all items accessable for the collectors and kids and they don't intentionally produce a small quantity of something...and then a few months late they feed us a line about exclusives are good. Which takes away from collectors and kids?

I'm holding out for them to show up on the fan club site, either in the way they did with the TF Vaders, just offer to members, and then offer to everyone else when they change the packaging. I can't remember which site I seen this on, but I've stories of the Fan Club re-issuing the TF Vader on a new card in June/July...but I'm sure if we give it a week or two, we'll see a posting that says "Check the fan club site for your chance to own a Celebration II exclusive." Its a toy company, they are all about turning a buck. Look at all the re-releases, AT-ST, Snow Speeder, 3 Packs...they will milk this for all its worth.

Forhekset
05-05-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat

Yeah, I'm with you. He doesn't come on the Jek Porkins body and there's no trace of flannel on him. Pretty unrealistic. :)

Actually, if I had the chance to get one at the C2 price I probably would but not for what people are asking for on ebay.

Lol! Exactly what I was thinking when I saw the first pics of the fig. "Why didn't they use Porkins' body?" No offense George :)

Mandalorian Candidat
05-05-2002, 04:32 PM
I've heard that only 30000 were made and that 10000 were going to be sold each day. As of this afternoon around 2 there were a little over 300 on ebay. If you think about the numbers, and exclude Sunday's figure purchases, that's only about 1.5% of the figures on ebay.

Granted, a lot more will appear since many people aren't carrying around laptops to post their ebay auctions at the convention, but that's not a bad ratio for an exclusive figure like this one.

It's hard to not be bothered by the high degree of exclusivity of this figure, but the people who went to C2 had to not only pay for them, but also pay for admission and probably air fare and lodging. What would really tick me off is if I went, waited in line, never got one, and then find one bozo selling 20 of these on ebay when you're only supposed to get two a day.

My solution would be to include the figure as part of the admission price for prepurchased passes. If you pay for a three day pass, then you get three figures. You get a token or a ticket that entitles you to a figure for that day and that's it. No mas. If you don't want the figure, sell or give your token to someone else or the Fan Club could give you a refund for turning in your token.

There, problem solved. :rolleyes:

Forhekset
05-05-2002, 04:45 PM
It's kinda like when you see something advertised as "NOT AVAILABLE IN STORES - SPECIAL TV OFFER" then 2 months later it's at Walgreens. ;)

stevenmh
05-05-2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by swcollector
Anyone else think that the collectors / fans got the shaft on this figure by not making it available to those that cant make it to C2?

No. It's an oxymoron to state that those not attending C2 got screwed out of the C2 exclusive figure. The whole point of the figure is to make it available exclusively to those who DID attend C2. It wouldn't be a C2 exclusive figure if it was available to everyone who couldn't and/or didn't attend. It's not Hasbro's fault that some people can't stand to not have every figure ever produced.

Personally, I'm a completist. I got lucky getting Toy Fair Vader through the Fan Club, and I was fortunate to be able to attend C2. However, if I couldn't have gotten these figures, it wouldn't be a big deal to me. I'd still consider myself a completist, in that I collect all figures mass produced for retail sale to the general public. If Hasbro wants to make an event exclusive along the way, and I can't get it, that's fine. If I do get it, I consider it a bonus.

As far as the discussion I've seen on Jorg Sacul regarding eBay, scalping, etc....how is it possible to scalp a figure that's not available to the general public to begin with? The only scalping that could possibly apply would be scalping that takes place at the event....i.e. someone gets in line 10 times in a row, buys 2 figures each time, then after they're sold out he stands outside the C2 store and offers them for $50 each. As someone who attended, I can tell you that this really wasn't possible due to the massive crowd. On the first day, they sold out mid-afternoon, so it's possible someone could have done 2 or 3 rounds of waiting in line. But they would have spent the entire first day of the convention doing nothing but waiting in line for a couple more figures. Scalpers, by nature, don't like to work for their money, and that would be a lot of work. Yesterday they were sold out by lunchtime, and today they sold out at 10:00. I can say I didn't see any scalping taking place at the convention. I saw vendors offering to buy the figures, but none were selling any that they might have bought.

I don't condone scalping, but I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm putting some of my spare Jorg Sacul figures on eBay. If any of you need a Dooku, Yoda, Anakin HD, or other figure you can't find, I'd be happy to keep an eye out when I'm at WM, and sell them to you at cost plus shipping. Just send me an email I'll do it simply because I can, and because it would take minimal effort. Jorg Sacul, on the other hand, took a lot of money and effort. I spent money on food, gas, hotel room, parking, and event fees, and non-attendees didn't. I burned two days of vacation and non-attendees didn't. I put 1100 miles on my car and non-attendees didn't. I got up early and spent the first two hours of each day of the event standing in line, shoulder to shoulder in a mob, for no other reason that to get 2 figures. I stood in line for 2 hours this morning, and they sold out when I was about 30 feet from the table. That was a risk I took each day that I stood in line...there was no guarantee that they wouldn't sell out before I got mine, but after I'd already spent all that time in line.

After all that, anyone who thinks I'm going to pass my spare figures along at cost is crazy. I didn't go to the event so that I could sell Jorg Sacul on eBay. But there's only 2 ways to get one of these figures....either attend the event, or buy one from someone else who attended. If I'm going to be at the event, and people are going to buy them on eBay, then I might as well be one of the sellers. The way I see it, I'm recouping a little of the money I spent on the trip. At the same time, I'm making a figure available to people that otherwise wouldn't be able to get one, and I'm not setting the market value, they are. How many of the members of this forum would get up early and stand in a crowded line for two hours to buy a figure they already had, just to give it to someone else who felt they had been screwed by not getting one? If you are, please let me know. In the event I'm unable to attend C3, I'd like you to pick up an exclusive figure for me at cost plus shipping. Even if it means getting in line again for 2 hours after you've gotten yours.

bigbarada
05-05-2002, 07:40 PM
I for one don't see how people can get hosed on ebay as long as the seller is honest. The buyer sets how much he/she wants to spend, so if you don't want to pay more than $15 for a Jorg Sacul then set your max bid at $15. Sure you'll probably get outbid over and over, but keep trying you might get lucky.

I for one, have stated time and again, that I'm not interested in Jorg Sacul, or any character for that matter that didn't appear in the final cut of the film. If the C2 exclusive had been someone like General Dodonna or Major Derlin, then I would be crying foul along with everyone else. But this is not even a character that shows up in any novel, movie, comic or game; what's the big deal?

LTBasker
05-05-2002, 08:12 PM
I don't get it, people want them to use the Porkins body when the head (without the helmet on) is small for even the body they used.

mikw
05-05-2002, 08:26 PM
Everyone is missing the intent of the figure....

-It was not there intent to have people sell the figure for $100 so they could make the money back that they spent on the trip. You were supposed to enjoy a convention, that I'm sure had more allure than just the action figure.

-A true collector would have got his/her two figures, then enjoyed the show and displays. I myself would have only got two, kept one for myself and then give, not sell, as a gift to a close friend or collector that couldn't make it for work related or other related reasons.

-There are people who are making a living off of these exclusives, selling them to whomever will pay the money. I for one will not pay that kind of money for a one week old figure, I might as well just take my money and burn it.

Repeat this to yourself: I work hard for my money, I will not buy from scalpers, I will not support their greed.

Just stop purchasing from these guys, even if the price goes down, cut them off completely, In 20years if those figures are for sale. Then maybe buy one if the price is right. Look at vintage figures, I guarantee that every single Empire Carded figure is less available, then any carded figure that comes out today, and some are still valued at under $100.00

There is a reason we have unions in this country, and it is to protect us from not getting a fair shake.

darth maul rat
05-06-2002, 01:16 AM
The sole reason that I attended the Celebration was to get the figure. I registered back in December with the belief that the production run was going to be based on the number of registered tickets plus a certain percentage, at least that is how I remember it being stated. I do not collect autographs, I don't dress up, or much of anything else that goes on at conventions. I just wanted to be assured of getting the figure, especially since the show was being put on in my own back yard.

The only day I had available to attend was Sunday. At 10:02 I entered the front doors, and they were already announcing that the figure was sold out. I was stunned. Two minutes in, and I was done. It cast a pall on the rest of the day. And as the day went on, I watched as retailers upped the ante, trying to get the fortunate ones to sell. The highest I saw was an offer of $35.00. The good folks at Brian's Toys were offered money for one while I was standing there, and they turned it down, as it was against the rules. Others chose to ignore those rules. One retailer was paying 35 and selling for 50. I will not tell his name, but his convention special was a bagged C-3PO with removable limbs for $4.25.

As it goes, I too was less than impressed with the way this convention was organized, and would like to state for the record the conventions that happen in Indy at the Convention Center usually go off better than this. From the moment I entered and some guy in a Stormtrooper uniform was telling us to go one way if we were preregistered and another if we wanted to buy tickets, and all I heard was "Mumblemumblemumble." I knew we were in trouble.

Now, all we need is for all those outraged about this on the forums to organize an aftermarket boycott of the figure on E-bay like you did of the AOTC stuff.

CooLJoE
05-06-2002, 04:36 AM
See, I'm going to C3. Not necessarily for an exclusive (if there is one), but for the convention itself. I wanted to go to C2, but couldnt since I'm in the process of moving and fixing up both the old and new house. So I was very much stuck.

But if I did get to go, and I was able to grab more than 2, I would gladly sell at cost, my extra figure to someone who wasn't able to get one due to sell outs. Sure I could keep it and make an extra $60 or whatever on ebay, but I think everyone should get a chance. ESPECIALLY those who DID attend. Thats crap that some who attended walked away empty handed. Hasbro and whoever sets up the event, need to SERIOUSLY work on organization. One idea on here was great, have them mark your Cel2 ticket. Or give 1 or 2 special tickets away with each Cel2 admission and have those as redeem-for-exclusive tickets. That way each person can only get a set amount. No way around it. But obviously they didn't think ahead.

(And I say if I had more than 2 because the 1st would stay carded and the 2nd would be opened. After that I would help the less fortunate.)

Oh well. Hopefully C3 has better organization. And hopefully the figure comes to the Fan Club. Different card or not, I just want the figure. The Cel2 status of it means nothing. I personally think the figure looks kinda cool.

Sidiously Darth
05-06-2002, 01:19 PM
You know it kind of makes me sick to hear people complaining that they spent this and that and did this and that to get to the convention. Many of us wanted to go to the Convention, not stand in line for figures, but were unable to b/c of work or other responsibilities. I think it is rather pathetic that some people think others should foot the bill for their trip by buying a toy at an exorbinant price. If you didn't want to spend the money, buy the gas, drive the car, fly in the plane, stay in a hotel, eat at McD's for 3 days or what ever, you should have stayed home. I'm sure there a quite a few out there who would have spent the money, time and effort without the intent of ripping off a fellow collector later on. Shame on you!!!:mad: :greedy: :Pirate:

Wonderboy
05-06-2002, 01:20 PM
Very well said Sidiously Darth...I couldnt agree with you more.

The 10 pages of ebay auctions all with Buy it Nows @ $100 bucks actually makes me sick. It's absolutely insane. And whats even sadder is the fact that people are actually spending that...ugh.

icatch9
05-06-2002, 02:48 PM
It is sick, but that is what makes the world go around. Most people who were there are Star Wars fans, but I'd say most aren't hard core collectors. So, they don't care about fellow collectors who they don't know. They care about $$$$ just like most average people. So, they are going to sell them without thinking twice. Most people are like this. Money makes the world go around. People will complain for years about this one, but it doesn't change anything. There are no more being made, and they (Hasbro-Wizards) will never sell them again, and that's coming from the head of Lucasfilm Licensing. It does suck for the majority of fans who couldn't go. But those who did go got a reward and basically a thank you gift for coming. If you couldn't go because of circumstances out of your control then that is very sad.

They didn't sell out on Sunday in 2 minutes, they sold out in an hour and 2 minutes. Fan club members were allowed in at 9:00am. I was there on Sunday and I got the last two (at least the last two in the line I was in). I agree that this convention was not organized very well. And the exhibitors ripped people off left and right, and the directions of which event was where was pathetic. And Stormtroopers are hard to understand.

The early bird truely did get the worm. What ever will be will be.

stevenmh
05-06-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by CooLJoE
But if I did get to go, and I was able to grab more than 2, I would gladly sell at cost, my extra figure to someone who wasn't able to get one due to sell outs.

That's the whole point....you COULDN'T grab more than 2. To get one for someone else, assuming you're keeping the first 2 for yourself, would require getting at the end of the line and waiting another couple hours to buy 2 more. I saw one guy here ask several times prior to C2 if someone would pick up a C2 figure for him since he couldn't go....and not a single response.

And to the guy who's sick of hearing people complain about the cost of the convention, and expecting others to foot their bill....where are you seeing that? If you're in any way referring to my previous post, please read it again. Nowhere is there any complaining about the cost. I could afford to go, so I did. I would have gone even had there not been an exclusive figure, I didn't plan my trip around Jorg Sacul. I prepaid my event fee and reserved my room long before I knew about Jorg Sacul. I don't expect others to foot my bill. I simply know that people are selling Jorg Sacul on eBay, and people are buying them, and I have spares that I stood in line for. If you think that the prices on eBay are outrageous, consider this: what is the going rate to have someone do anything for you nowadays? Call a plumber, doctor, engineer, lawyer, electrician, grass cutter, whatever, and you spend a minimum of $30 an hour. My billable rate at work is $80 an hour. I stood in line for a total of 6 hours for 4 figures, so 1.5 hours per figure. Not only that, it wasn't just any 1.5 hours, it was 1.5 EARLY hours. Apparently not early enough on Sunday, since I didn't get them. If someone wants to pay someone to stand in line to get them a Jorg Sacul figure because they couldn't attend C2, it's not any different than if that person wants to pay someone to cut their grass.

It's easy to stay at home from C2 and talk about how you'd have gotten all the non-attendees a figure at cost. I believe you would have if you could have slept as late as you wanted, and then walked up to the table at the C2 store with a bag and request it be filled to the rim. Unfortunately, that's not the way it worked.

Personally, I think it's crappy that Hasbro didn't produce enough figures to allow people to buy them at any time during the 3 days of the convention, without any limit. I know there were people there with small children and babies, and couldn't be at the entrance at 6:00 in the morning just to try and be first in line for an exclusive figure. I wish Hasbro would have done things differently, and made it possible for people to buy as many as they wanted with minimum effort, to be able to provide them to other collectors at cost. But the fact is that's not what Hasbro did, and the fact is that the market value has increased as a result. This isn't a situation where some scalpers ransacked a particular figure from Wal-Mart to try and create demand. The demand for this figure is inherent to its production run and method of distribution (or lack thereof). And it's every collector's choice to NOT purchase the figure, or any figure, off eBay. To those who are complaining about the final amounts on the auctions, I have this to say....if you're so opposed to people selling their spare figures on eBay, what were you doing looking? Or is it only OK as long as YOU win for the amount YOU wanted to pay, and not if someone else wins for what they were willing to pay?

stillakid
05-06-2002, 11:26 PM
The way I see it is, why buy two in the first place if all you plan to do is scalp it? It's one thing to get one for yourself a friend, but another if you plan to take advantage of the situation and hurt other people's chances of obtaining the figure (people who paid to enter the event and fly there).

It's the intention that a person has for the second figure (or third or fourth or fifth...) that's in question. The figure was offered there as a reward or incentive for attending a special event...it wasn't offered with the intention of giving attendees an opportunity to make their admission costs back. That's BS no matter what kind of spin you want to put on it.

Yes, it took hours of standing in line to get the merchandise, but that doesn't automatically give someone the right to try to make up for it by scalping the "extra." It's only "rare" and the market value only went up because so many people drained the supply with the express purpose of draining the supply.

There were enough figures for everyone there to have one (or mostly anyway). It's too bad so many are so thoughtless as to think that they are entitled to profiting from a situation that they themselves created.

Yoda'sMaster
05-06-2002, 11:29 PM
nicely said..... couldny of said better my self

RooJay
05-06-2002, 11:36 PM
If I could've gone to C2 I would've stood in line for my two figures on the first day, and then spent the rest of my weekend enjoying the event I paid for. I would've opened one of my figures, and either gave the other to my brother, or kept it forever in it's package (only to preserve to memory of the thing as it looked when I received it!) which would stay in my collection more or less forever as far as I'm concerned. I understand that I don't NEED this figure, that my life will still be complete even without it, and that I can certainly do without it at any rate. It still would've been nice to have one just the same; like another poster has stated the C2 exclusive nature of the thing means NOTHING to me either. I just think it's cool looking, and will probably be the only form I will ever get to see a George Lucas figure in (something I've wanted since I was a kid). I am in no way bitter towards anybody who has one or more, but I am very disappointed that I will now probably never own one (I do not EVER intend to pay secondary market price for one).

I would also like to say how sorry I feel for those who were able to attend, but still did not receive their figure. I am pretty sure I recall that it was stated by the event organizers that EVERYONE who attended would receive a figure! I thought for certain that they had some other means of distribution planned that would ensure this. I feel doubly bad for all those people who attended C2 ONLY for the figure who didn't get one (though why anyone would do so is beyond me. No offense to those of you for whom this is the case!). I for would still have wanted to go if NO exclusive figure were offered, and I would still want this figure even if it weren't exclusive.

Just for the record, how many people who wanted this figure solely because of it's exclusive status plan on opening theirs?

stevenmh
05-07-2002, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
The figure was offered there as a reward or incentive for attending a special event...

It's getting harder to argue about something that's obviously being driven by emotion rather than by logic. Who can find the hidden oxymoron in the above statement? Think about it....a post about how the figure was intended only for C2 attendess, in a thread that was started to argue the wrongness of how non-attendees couldn't get one.

If I were to apply that reasoning, then it would be wrong for anyone attending C2 to sell a figure to a non-attendee at cost, or even to give one away for free. If I had offered to give you one of my spare figures at cost, would you be arguing with me? "I'm sorry, but since I didn't attend, I can't accept the figure. Please find someone else who attended but didn't get one, and sell it to them." Yeah, right. I'd be willing to bet I'd have had a PayPal confirmation within 10 seconds.

The only people I've seen bawling about not getting a figure are those who didn't attend. I guarantee that every single person who's bawled has checked eBay for pricing. I'm not trying to put a spin on anything. I knew there would be people not attending who'd be willing to pay for a figure, so I chose to stand in line to buy some extras. I'm simply saying that it's not fair to complain about people selling them, when you know for a fact that you ("you" meaning just about everyone here) wouldn't feel guilty about owning one even though you didn't attend the event. If that wasn't the case, then this thread would never have been started, because no one at SSG who didn't attend the event would have been searching eBay to buy Jorg Sacul, and therefore wouldn't know anything about it.

Like I said in my first post....if you need any hard to find AOTC figures, I'll give them to you at cost if I see them, regardless of what they're going for on eBay. But it's not reasonable for someone who didn't attend C2 to complain that they can't get a C2 exclusive figure at cost. That's all I'm trying to say, and I'm not going to say any more about it.

RooJay
05-07-2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by stevenmh
It's getting harder to argue about something that's obviously being driven by emotion rather than by logic. Who can find the hidden oxymoron in the above statement? Think about it....a post about how the figure was intended only for C2 attendess, in a thread that was started to argue the wrongness of how non-attendees couldn't get one.

I really think you're taking Stillakid's comment out of context.

2-1B
05-07-2002, 02:41 AM
stevenmh, there's no oxymoron there. Nowhere in stillakid's post did he complain about nonattendees not being able to get one. People have complained about not getting the figure even though they attended - and stillakid's post rings perfectly clear. That post is the most logical one in this entire thread, you're rationalizing it away as "emotional" probably because of how logical it really is.

CooLJoE
05-07-2002, 04:56 AM
Stevenmh - You got 4 right? Obviously that happened over 2 different days (2 per day). Since its not impossible for me to do the exact same (infact I've gotten up pretty early for stuff like this and have stood inline for LONG hours. EP1 I was inline for a good 8 hours or so), I would have 4. 1 for me, 1 to open, probably 1 for my friend since he's collecting starwars now too, and 1 I would sell to someone who was there but missed out on getting one (at cost). Its no biggy to me.

Its easy for all you people who were able to go and get a figure to say that there was your personal time involved and that the cost of going would equal up to the price people are paying on ebay. But since you also went for C2 (if you only went for figures, your sad or a scalper, simple as that) for the event itself, you can't really say gas, food, hotel, etc. because if you didn't pay for those you wouldn't get to go period. Figure or no figure, you wouldn't see anything else at C2. You'd be like the rest of us wishing you had a Sacul and probably kinda upset since you wanted one (and I'm sure you'll say otherwise, but thats cuz you have one and DID go to C2...emotions). Basically you stood inline and got figures. 1.5 hours is nothing. All you paid was $10 for the figure, nothing else needed to get JUST the figure.

But anyways, not worth arguing anymore. People who got em say different from those who didn't. Thats the logical part. Emotions are involved on both sides and thats what makes us think/say what we do on here.

I stand by what I said before. If I went there, first 2 would be for me, 3rd for my friend, anything else for those who couldnt get one due to sell-outs. Or if anything I would trade for a TF Vader.

stillakid
05-07-2002, 11:10 AM

If I were to apply that reasoning, then it would be wrong for anyone attending C2 to sell a figure to a non-attendee at cost, or even to give one away for free. If I had offered to give you one of my spare figures at cost, would you be arguing with me? "I'm sorry, but since I didn't attend, I can't accept the figure. Please find someone else who attended but didn't get one, and sell it to them." Yeah, right. I'd be willing to bet I'd have had a PayPal confirmation within 10 seconds.

The only people I've seen bawling about not getting a figure are those who didn't attend. I guarantee that every single person who's bawled has checked eBay for pricing. I'm not trying to put a spin on anything. I knew there would be people not attending who'd be willing to pay for a figure, so I chose to stand in line to buy some extras. I'm simply saying that it's not fair to complain about people selling them, when you know for a fact that you ("you" meaning just about everyone here) wouldn't feel guilty about owning one even though you didn't attend the event. If that wasn't the case, then this thread would never have been started, because no one at SSG who didn't attend the event would have been searching eBay to buy Jorg Sacul, and therefore wouldn't know anything about it.

Like I said in my first post....if you need any hard to find AOTC figures, I'll give them to you at cost if I see them, regardless of what they're going for on eBay. But it's not reasonable for someone who didn't attend C2 to complain that they can't get a C2 exclusive figure at cost. That's all I'm trying to say, and I'm not going to say any more about it.

Perhaps you're missing my point. It isn't that someone who didn't attend shouldn't have the opportunity to get the figure through friends or acquaintances, it's that attendees stood in line with the express purpose of trying to make a huge profit from an exclusive. There is literally no difference between that situation and professional scalpers who try to corner the market on retail exclusives.

I don't mean to get cheesy, but to put in terms you might understand, so-called "fans" turned to the dark side when they saw the possibility of large dollar signs. It's a free market economy, and they have every right to do it if they feel like being complete jerks about it.

We can complain about them, but the only real criticism goes to the organizers of the event who should have worked out a bullet-proof system to ensure that every attendee obtained at least one of the incentives if nothing else. Then, at least the original principle behind the figure would remain intact and then owners could sell it or keep it as they wish without cause for an uproar.

stevenmh
05-07-2002, 12:07 PM
I'll tell you what...I'll meet you folks halfway.

My original response was to a thread entitled something along the lines of "those who can't attend C2 got screwed on the figure." That thread was later merged into this one. My response to THAT THREAD was to argue that by NO MEANS could a non-attendee complain about not getting the figure at cost. If you know a friend or family member going, that's great for you. If you don't, and you get on eBay expecting to buy one there, and find out you don't like the price, it's not fair to then turn around and complain about them being sold on eBay. Scalping was not an issue when discussing non-attendees wanting the figures. I can't scalp something to you that would never be available to you to begin with. I stand by my earlier statement of logic. If you want to argue apples with me, make sure the thread wasn't started to discuss oranges. If it was, start a new thread about apples.

Since my original response, people have turned the thread into an issue of how ATTENDEES didn't get the figure. That's a completely different issue than the original discussion of non-attendees not getting the figure. At this point scalping does come into play. If you were in line behind me on Saturday, and never got a figure, then I guess from your point of view you got screwed by a scalper. I wasn't arguing Stillakid's point, so much as I was arguing that it wasn't in line with the original topic of non-attendees not being able to get the figure. I was also arguing against those who claim they would stand in line exclusively to get figures just to give away at cost to other fans who couldn't get it. Like I said, the opportunity was there when that poor guy was asking, and not a single person responded.

I agree that it's a shame that someone could have paid to attend the event, try to get a figure, and not be able to do so. Darth Maul Rat got hosed, and if he wants a figure, I'll give him one at $10 plus actual shipping. Just email me to work it out. This isn't penance...I didn't cause him to not get a figure on Sunday, since they were allotted each day and I didn't get any on Sunday either. I also stood in line from 8:00 until 10:00, while he slept in and showed up at 10:00. Consider it a gift from one collector to another, and consider it an indication that I didn't go to C2 to make a profit.

That leaves me with one more extra, and if someone can convince me that THEY ATTENDED, and didn't get a figure EVEN THOUGH THEY TRIED, I'll do the same for you. Darth Maul Rat is the only attendee I've seen complain at SSG about not getting a figure....if you know of another, point me in the direction of the thread.

See, I can be reasonable. I had no way of identifying people at the convention who tried to get a figure but didn't. I hadn't seen anyone at SSG state that they got hosed at the convention. Perhaps they're there, but I was browsing the forums in the car on a cell phone connection, and had to be picky about what I read and replied to before losing the signal. All I saw were non-attendees searching eBay for a figure, then complaining about the sellers being scalpers when they didn't like the price.

I agree Hasbro should have done better. There's an easy way to make the whole issue go away....limit the figures to 2 per PERSON instead of 2 per PURCHASE. Ask people when they buy their badges, be it online or at the door, if they want a figure or two. If so, then the fee is $85-$95, if not, the fee is $75. If they chose to buy a figure, give them a coupon for it with their badge. Then make it so the only way to get a figure is to go to the table and present your coupon, and redeem it for a figure. Of course, under this method, the odds of a non-attendee ever getting a figure would be slim to none, and people would complain about that, too.

stevenmh
05-07-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by CooLJoE
Stevenmh - You got 4 right? Obviously that happened over 2 different days (2 per day). Since its not impossible for me to do the exact same (infact I've gotten up pretty early for stuff like this and have stood inline for LONG hours. EP1 I was inline for a good 8 hours or so), I would have 4. 1 for me, 1 to open, probably 1 for my friend since he's collecting starwars now too, and 1 I would sell to someone who was there but missed out on getting one (at cost). Its no biggy to me.

P.S. This is what I was talking about earlier when I referred to logic. You COULD have waited in line again, but WOULD you have? Let's say you waited in line for 2 hours on Friday to get yours...one to open, one to keep sealed. Now that you've done what you need to do to get YOURS, are you telling me you would have gotten up early on Saturday and stood in line again for another 2 hours soley for the purpose of getting 2 more figures for someone else at cost? I'm betting no. You would have spent that time in line for something else, like getting Carrie Fisher's autograph. I could have stood in line for an autograph on Saturday morning, but I chose to stand in line to get 2 more figures instead. Some people at the convention got extra figures and never met Carrie Fisher. Some people didn't get figures but met Carrie Fisher. Some people did other things. It's all about choice. I'm giving away 2 figures at cost, that I stood in line for, to attendees I've never met, who obviously chose to do other things while I was standing in line early. Before anyone spends any more time attacking my previous arguments, let's see someone else with the balls to come forward and offer their spare figures at cost to attendees who tried to get one but couldn't. Anyone?

manji
05-07-2002, 01:27 PM
OK, here's my Celebration II story (like you even care, but I'm pretty dang excited!). I teach high school and wasn't able to take Friday, May 3rd off for the convention since we are nearing the end of school. I've got last block planning, so I left around 1:30pm. I live about 4 1/2 hours from Indianapolis, but they're an hour ahead. I wasn't going to able to attend all three days because I had a Pathophysiology exam on Monday that I HAD to study for. Basically, I made a last minute decision for a road trip because I wanted the Sacul figure for myself. I'm going on the knowledge that every person in attendance may purchase two figures, so I'm worried tickets will be sold out.

Imagine my dismay when I pay the entrance fee, finally locate the store, and find out that they've been sold out of figures since 12:30pm. My heart sank. Here I had invested time, money, and gas on a last minute whim to get a figure that I THOUGHT was guaranteed. I honestly felt like the wind had been knocked out of me. After the initial shock, I became angry. I found several Celebration store employees and relayed my sob story to numerous deaf ears. All they could say was "Tough break" or "Better luck tomorow". I was told that people on the far end of the store would work their way down the registers and buy extras instead of leaving immediately. I asked about punching passes and was told that it "diminished their collectibility". I suggested bar codes on the back of the passes and was told it was too time consuming. Basically, dead ends on all accounts. Finally, I found this woman who looked official. I told my story once more, "drove almost four hours for this figure ...just arrived...couldn't take off work...only here for this one day... and so on. No luck, she just got short with me like she'd been hearing the same thing since 12:30. So I tucked my tail between my legs and walked out to head home.

Well, she must have felt sorry for me. As I was walking to the exit, feeling deflated, she asked me if I was leaving right then. I told her yes, and she said to follow her and act nonchalant. Immediately, my heart was racing. She took me to the Hasbro booth in the main room. They had just made the announcement that the Celebration was closing for the night. She said if I still wanted the figures it would be $20.00 for two and I handed her the money. She went behind a curtain and came back with a bag containing my two figures. I wanted to marry her (except my wife wouldn't appreciate it).

So now I'm floating. I went from utter rejection to complete elation in about thirty minutes. But it gets better. As I was heading to my car, I noticed two tour buses had pulled in. Since I didn't know where to park and didn't want to pay a lot of money to park either, I pulled into the first place I found. No sign, no money. Well, it happened to be the parking for official Celebration II guests! Standing not four feet from my car were Jeremy Bulloch, Warrick Davis, Michonne whatever (the Aurra Sing lady), and BILLY DEE WILLIAMS! I was pretty excited to see the Colt 45 pitch man. The only one who would take a picture with me was Mr. Bulloch. Billy Dee just gave the "pimp wave" in acknowledgement.

As I was getting ready to drive off, I noticed a parking ticket on my windshield. According to the note, my car was going to be towed in 5 more minutes! What luck! I drove up there, arrived about an hour and 15 minutes before the thing closed, was fortunate enough (or made someone feel sorry enough for me) to pick up my figures, and meet some of the stars! I just feel bad for all the others who stood in those ridiculous lines that morning and weren't able to get the figures, since I received two around 7:15pm that night. The fan club handled the distribution extremely poorly.

stillakid
05-07-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by manji
OK, here's my Celebration II story (like you even care, but I'm pretty dang excited!). I teach high school and wasn't able to take Friday, May 3rd off for the convention since we are nearing the end of school. I've got last block planning, so I left around 1:30pm. I live about 4 1/2 hours from Indianapolis, but they're an hour ahead. I wasn't going to able to attend all three days because I had a Pathophysiology exam on Monday that I HAD to study for. Basically, I made a last minute decision for a road trip because I wanted the Sacul figure for myself. I'm going on the knowledge that every person in attendance may purchase two figures, so I'm worried tickets will be sold out.

Imagine my dismay when I pay the entrance fee, finally locate the store, and find out that they've been sold out of figures since 12:30pm. My heart sank. Here I had invested time, money, and gas on a last minute whim to get a figure that I THOUGHT was guaranteed. I honestly felt like the wind had been knocked out of me. After the initial shock, I became angry. I found several Celebration store employees and relayed my sob story to numerous deaf ears. All they could say was "Tough break" or "Better luck tomorow". I was told that people on the far end of the store would work their way down the registers and buy extras instead of leaving immediately. I asked about punching passes and was told that it "diminished their collectibility". I suggested bar codes on the back of the passes and was told it was too time consuming. Basically, dead ends on all accounts. Finally, I found this woman who looked official. I told my story once more, "drove almost four hours for this figure ...just arrived...couldn't take off work...only here for this one day... and so on. No luck, she just got short with me like she'd been hearing the same thing since 12:30. So I tucked my tail between my legs and walked out to head home.

Well, she must have felt sorry for me. As I was walking to the exit, feeling deflated, she asked me if I was leaving right then. I told her yes, and she said to follow her and act nonchalant. Immediately, my heart was racing. She took me to the Hasbro booth in the main room. They had just made the announcement that the Celebration was closing for the night. She said if I still wanted the figures it would be $20.00 for two and I handed her the money. She went behind a curtain and came back with a bag containing my two figures. I wanted to marry her (except my wife wouldn't appreciate it).

So now I'm floating. I went from utter rejection to complete elation in about thirty minutes. But it gets better. As I was heading to my car, I noticed two tour buses had pulled in. Since I didn't know where to park and didn't want to pay a lot of money to park either, I pulled into the first place I found. No sign, no money. Well, it happened to be the parking for official Celebration II guests! Standing not four feet from my car were Jeremy Bulloch, Warrick Davis, Michonne whatever (the Aurra Sing lady), and BILLY DEE WILLIAMS! I was pretty excited to see the Colt 45 pitch man. The only one who would take a picture with me was Mr. Bulloch. Billy Dee just gave the "pimp wave" in acknowledgement.

As I was getting ready to drive off, I noticed a parking ticket on my windshield. According to the note, my car was going to be towed in 5 more minutes! What luck! I drove up there, arrived about an hour and 15 minutes before the thing closed, was fortunate enough (or made someone feel sorry enough for me) to pick up my figures, and meet some of the stars! I just feel bad for all the others who stood in those ridiculous lines that morning and weren't able to get the figures, since I received two around 7:15pm that night. The fan club handled the distribution extremely poorly.

The Universe is a strange and mysterious place. Congrats!

icatch9
05-07-2002, 03:24 PM
Hey can I have $40.00 dollars? Just pm me and I'll give you my address. That's basically what youíre doing when you give away a JS figure at cost. Better yet. I'll give $15 for a Carrie Fisher auto. I didn't stand in line for 8 hours, but I still want one. So, can I have one for $15.00? I know I'm being a bit stupid and maybe mean, but that is what this all has come to. I didn't know that making money in this country was synonymous with being a jerk. If they were giving out $50.00 bills how many of you would of stood in line for that, and then given the money away to someone who didn't stand in line. No one. If they would have been selling Microsoft stock for $10.00 would you then turn around and give that away to someone you don't know. Oh, better yet. I know there are a lot of people on hear that werenít even born when the original figures where in the store to be bought. So, Iíll give $2.00 for a vintage Stormtrooper Luke on card. Come on itís not fair to those who werenít even born yet to buy them Theyíd have to spend $300.00 or more for that figure now. To many people this sort of collectable is an investment. To you who don't like it, you'd better get used to and moreover wake up. There is serious money in Star Wars stuff. Not only Star Wars, but collectables of all sorts. Anywhere from Superman to Sienfeld. Making money is pretty much at the front of everyoneís mind. If you disagree with that then you'd better take a good look at the world and re-evaluate your situation. There where 70,000 people there last weekend and about 1% of them were nice people who collect with out a thought of money. The rest know the price and have that in mind when they buy anything like this.

stillakid
05-07-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
Hey can I have $40.00 dollars? Just pm me and I'll give you my address. That's basically what youíre doing when you give away a JS figure at cost. Better yet. I'll give $15 for a Carrie Fisher auto. I didn't stand in line for 8 hours, but I still want one. So, can I have one for $15.00? I know I'm being a bit stupid and maybe mean, but that is what this all has come to. I didn't know that making money in this country was synonymous with being a jerk. If they were giving out $50.00 bills how many of you would of stood in line for that, and then given the money away to someone who didn't stand in line. No one. If they would have been selling Microsoft stock for $10.00 would you then turn around and give that away to someone you don't know. Oh, better yet. I know there are a lot of people on hear that werenít even born when the original figures where in the store to be bought. So, Iíll give $2.00 for a vintage Stormtrooper Luke on card. Come on itís not fair to those who werenít even born yet to buy them Theyíd have to spend $300.00 or more for that figure now. To many people this sort of collectable is an investment. To you who don't like it, you'd better get used to and moreover wake up. There is serious money in Star Wars stuff. Not only Star Wars, but collectables of all sorts. Anywhere from Superman to Sienfeld. Making money is pretty much at the front of everyoneís mind. If you disagree with that then you'd better take a good look at the world and re-evaluate your situation. There where 70,000 people there last weekend and about 1% of them were nice people who collect with out a thought of money. The rest know the price and have that in mind when they buy anything like this.

The question isn't about giving it away at cost. The question is why buy it for $10 in the first place if your only intention is to turn around and scalp it? If someone doesn't want it for their collection (or a friend's), then they shouldn't buy it in the first place.

Now, having said that, I'm just stating the utopian situation. Of course people are opportunistic and many will take advantage of other people whenever possible if it means a few extra dollars in their pocket. It's nice to think otherwise though, that most people aren't so greedy as to go into a situation like this with the express intention of turning a major profit. Yeah, the world is a greedy place, but I like to believe that the world is what we make it. If someone wants to create a world where selfish greed is the norm, then that's the world we'll all have to live in. Too bad. The dinosaurs didn't last forever either...

2-1B
05-07-2002, 03:48 PM
What a foolish comparison, "giving away $50 bills."
No, the argument is not that the $50 bill be given away, rather sold for what it's worth . . . which is 50 dollars. :rolleyes:

stevenmh
05-07-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by icatch9

That was touching.

Technically, I can't argue with you, but I still don't agree. Collecting SW stuff isn't about making money. I'm not giving you $40, because I know that you can go earn two $20 bills that would look just like the two I could give you. But you could only get a Jorg Sacul by standing in line at C2, and even then, some people didn't get one. Those are the people who got hosed. I didn't think I'd be screwing anyone out of a figure in line behind me, because one would think Hasbro would have shown up with enough figures. There was no indication on the C2 website that figures would be so limited, even to attendees. Hell, I thought I could get Count Dooku for retail while I was there. I mean, a Star Wars convention, with Hasbro playing a big part, to me that meant figures for sale. Hasbro had NOTHING for sale at the C2 store, Jorg Sacul was the only figure available. I ended up paying $20 for Dooku from a vendor because I was sick of looking for one.

Yes, I'm giving up the opportunity to make money if I sell my JS figures at cost. But I don't collect for profit, or even for investment. I open everything and display it loose. If I wanted to invest, I'd stop collecting SW and put my money into the stock market. If I didn't have some general sense of concern for my fellow fans and collectors, why would I travel 600 miles to stand in a crowd of 75,000 of them? If money was the only thing that made me happy, I'd collect dollar bills instead of SW figures.

By the way, the second JS figure I have is spoken for. Darth Maul Rat, I'll send you an email about the other figure.

stevenmh
05-07-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by manji
OK, here's my Celebration II story...

That's a great story. My favorite part of the event was "Attack of the Fetts", and seeing those 3 guys in person. During the question/answer session, Warwick came in a teased Jeremy a little...he asked Daniel if he was concerned about looking like Jeremy when he gets older.

I took a photo of Billy Dee from outside the autograph area, through gaps in the line. I don't know what an autograph is worth, but I figured for $15 he out to embrace me, not just sign a paper. Besides, the lines were out of control, so I skipped the autographs. Carrie Fisher was in a room by herself, and I think you would have had to stand in line for about 4 hours to get her autograph.

RooJay
05-07-2002, 04:15 PM
I still don't understand why anyone would need or want SIX of those figures for themself. Unless of course, it was with the intent of cashing in on the demand. For some of us one would've been enough.

CooLJoE
05-07-2002, 04:31 PM
Stevenmh - Actually, Since my friend would have wanted a figure, and since that would be the 3rd figure I get, my answer would be Yes. Yes I would stand in line again the next day to help get my friend a sacul figure. I guess if I knew there was a shortage while in line (which I would have expected seeing as nothing in this world is ever guaranteed), I wouldn't have gotten 2 figures the 2nd day and would instead have gotten 1 figure and let someone behind me have the opportunity to get 1 (unless I knew someone else back home that wanted one in which case I would get 2 more instead of just 1).

And I'm not saying you would have to validate someone online as to whether they honestly went and didn't get one. If I saw someone inline that didn't get one and I had an extra, I would sell it to him at cost. It would make his day and put a smile on both our faces.

And if you weren't going to scalp in the first place, why did you buy extras? When people purchase things, there is a pre-meditated intent before they actually make the purchase. So you had to have a reason to buy the extras. Maybe you already had the idea to scalp them on ebay?

And to the person with the lame post about giving away money. Unless money suddenly became rare and had value beyond its written value, your analogy was a very bad one. People who did or did not go and wanted a Sacul figure wanted it for its PERSONAL value. NOT its cash value, its PERSONAL value. I could care less what people are getting on ebay for it. I wanted it purely for myself, for my collection. So you can't compare personal value to cash value. They aren't the same.

icatch9
05-07-2002, 04:50 PM
I defiantly think that Hasbro and Wizards knew exactly what they were doing. They knew this figures were going to get sold out, and they also knew that they would be sold on ebay. It is the American way. So maybe they were thanking the people who came and stood in line by giving them a way to help pay for their time and trip to the Celebration. Is that so hard to believe? I mean Hasbro isnít dumb, they know their stuff gets sold on ebay every day. Or was it to **** off enough people so that by the time Celebration III roles around 70,000 more people will go so that they can get another exclusive figure. Imagine 140,000 people at Celebration III. AT $30.00 a ticket thatís over $4 million in 3 days. Thatís a pretty quick profit for them. Do you know the whole reason to have a Celebration? Do you know the reason why movies are made? Do you know the reason why toys are made? The answer to all of these is to make money. Money money money money is what it all boils down to. The reason why Star Wars stuff stopped being made in 85í is because it stopped making money. The reason why Star Wars stuff came back in 95í is because all those kids who bought the stuff in the 80ís grew up and had money of their own to spend.

Hear is another eye opener. Do you know why those Playschool Star Wars sets are being made? Itís to get little kids to like Star Wars, so when they grow up theyíll spend their money too. It is so simple that most people donít get it. These corporations are after our money, and for most people thatís ok. But, when you, me, or that guy down the street try and make some money too we are the devil. That is the sick part. We get*****ed at for selling our stuff, but we are willing to pay $6.00 or so for an action figure actually costs less than $0.50 to make. We think that is fair and shell out the cost for numerus figures. Start complaining at the source and see how far you get.

Star Wars is simply a money making machine. GL knows this, Hasbro knows this, and Wizards knows this (why do you think they pushed so hard to buy the fan club). You and I are the fuel to that machine. But, when the fuel wants some action too we get branded as a scalper or worse. I am not a scalper. I don't have a hundred Dookus that I am trying to sell on ebay. I don't hoard the hard to find stuff so others cannot buy it. But I do know the value of my investment and would never just give it away. But if I offered my spare JS figure at a fair market price I'd get bashed and ridiculed. People itís worth at least $50.00 and thatís that. If you think that is too much than keep your money. If you didnít get one at the celebration then lifeís a bi@tch then you die. There are no grantees in this life and the JS figure was never guaranteed to anyone. The statement was each person got to per purchase. Thatís what happened. Everyone got two per purchase. Some did cut in line and some did get more than two, but that is their prerogative. I saw two guys trying to buy more after they got their two get kicked out of line in front of me, so the staff did attempt to control some of the hoarding. There was no way to stop the mob from doing anything.

They screwed themselves from the very beginning. I agree that some sort of punch card or ticket should have been initiated, but you canít change the past (even if you could, would you really change that). Now is not the time to complain anymore. Not even complaining to Hasbro, Wizards, or anyone will do you any good. If you want one bad enough then you will find a way to get one. It may take a lot of saving or trading that Tatooine Skiff to get one, but youíll find a way.

We are less than 9 days away from the movie. Itís Christmas, New Years, and all of our Birthdays wrapped into 2 hours and 10 minutes. So please just all that negative energy into all of the things you are going to complain about the movie and let this Jorg Sacul issue go.

stillakid
05-07-2002, 05:19 PM
Had I gone to the event, I would've bought the allotment of 6 to deliver to fellow collectors. As it happened, a friend of mine, who isn't a collector, offered to pick them up for me so I could have one and distribute the rest. He only managed to get 2 over the three days, so only me and one other are fortunate to have one. But the point is, people did purchase extras without the intent to scalp for profit. It is within the scope of human ability to do nice things for people, believe it or not.

Dar' Argol
05-07-2002, 05:24 PM
Just to give everyone the "heads up" I merged a lot of the Jourg Sacul threads into this one. And I will be doing it as I see them. Trying to keep the place clean a little :rolleyes:.

Oh, and icatch9, take into concideration how someone else may read that post. It may have not have been intended to "seem" like ranting at the ppl who are discussing this figure, but intention is in the eyes of the reader. It may have been taken that way.

Also, do not blatently spell out curse words like that. Using **'s is fine, but do not insert something into the middle of the word so it does not get edited. I need you to edit this from your post. This is an all ages web site and something like that cannot go on here. Any problems with this, feel free to PM me and we can discusse it there.

RooJay
05-07-2002, 05:39 PM
Just out of curiosity (not implying anything at all) how many extras were you able to get icatch?

stevenmh
05-07-2002, 06:39 PM
Had I gone to the event, I would've bought the allotment of 6 to deliver to fellow collectors. As it happened, a friend of mine, who isn't a collector, offered to pick them up for me so I could have one and distribute the rest. He only managed to get 2 over the three days, so only me and one other are fortunate to have one. But the point is, people did purchase extras without the intent to scalp for profit. It is within the scope of human ability to do nice things for people, believe it or not.

Stillakid,
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you. You would NOT have bought all 6. Doing so would have required that you get up at 5:00 on Sunday morning and stand in line for at least 3 hours in a mob, which I doubt you would have done. Apparently your friend wasn't willing to either, or he'd have gotten all 6 of his allotment. He could have gotten up early and stood in line each day to make sure he put a smile on some strangers' faces. The reality is that he was in line one day anyway, to pick up C2 merchandise for himself, and he got his two figures simply because he could, and he knew you wanted them. He obviously felt it wasn't worth getting up early and waiting in line for hours on the other two days, soley to pick up additional figures to distribute to collectors.

Cool Joe,
Of course I bought some with the intent to sell on eBay. I thought we had already established that earlier. I will respectfully suggest that you would NOT have given an extra figure to someone else in line behind you who didn't get one. Not because you're not a nice guy, but because you would have no way of knowing who those persons might be. I'd have given one to someone behind me, too, except the sellouts didn't occur until later. After leaving the C2 store, I went and enjoyed other exhibits. I didn't stand outside at the line and wait for the sellout announcement, so that I could offer a figure to someone in line who didn't make the cut.

I'm not questioning the ability of people to do nice things, or your willingness to share extra figures with collectors had you been able to. I'm just saying there's a difference between sharing figures you've HAPPENED to come across, versus going the extra mile to make it happen. I'm not the one who made a shortage of figures, Hasbro did. I didn't break any rules while I was there. Every attendee had the same choice I had in setting their alarm clock each day. Between my wife and I, we picked up 8 figures. Two for our personal collection, one for her brother as a gift, 3 were pre-sold on eBay, and 2 TBD since we were in line anyway. Those 2 TBD I'm giving away at cost, even though I know that the eBay market will bear a lot more than that. So far I haven't heard of anyone else making such an offer. I keep hearing lectures on C2 etiquette by people who weren't there to know what the situation was. I keep hearing comments about how I've slighted a fellow attendee out of a figure, but I bet all of those comments were made by non-attendees who'd buy a figure for $10 on eBay if they could. I keep hearing a lot of "I WOULD have" distributed figures at cost, but I AM distributing them at cost. If you think I'm evil because I sold some on eBay for what people were willing to pay, instead of distributing ALL of them at cost, so be it. I've sunk literally thousands of dollars into my SW collection, and it's not unreasonable for people to generate some revenue in their hobby in order to perpetuate their hobby. Believe me when I say my hobby is not profitable for me. My wife would be happy to tell you all about it. I'm sure she wished that I would scalp figures from the retail stores to help support my habit, but I don't.

You guys can continue discussing this if you want, but I'm done. My conscience is clean regarding my decision of how many of my figures to sell vs how many to give away. I also feel confident that if I wasn't one of the people who attended C2, my only option for JS would be to buy one on eBay for market value. I plan to attend C3, but who knows, maybe I'll be unable. Maybe my C2 figure "profit" will actually turn out to be a trade on a C3 figure that I'll have to get off eBay.

stillakid
05-07-2002, 09:16 PM

Stillakid,
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you. You would NOT have bought all 6. Doing so would have required that you get up at 5:00 on Sunday morning and stand in line for at least 3 hours in a mob, which I doubt you would have done. Apparently your friend wasn't willing to either, or he'd have gotten all 6 of his allotment. He could have gotten up early and stood in line each day to make sure he put a smile on some strangers' faces. The reality is that he was in line one day anyway, to pick up C2 merchandise for himself, and he got his two figures simply because he could, and he knew you wanted them. He obviously felt it wasn't worth getting up early and waiting in line for hours on the other two days, soley to pick up additional figures to distribute to collectors.

Respectfully disagree all you want. My friend was working the event as a 501st Trooper and was promised first dibs on being in lines and such by WOTC. As it turned out, WOTC renigged on that and as I understand it, many of the 501st quit once they realized the situation. So, it wasn't because he was lazy that he didn't "get up early." It was because he was either working the event or at least at first, because he was under the impression that he would be given a fair opportunity to obtain access to events and merchandise in exchange for offering his services to the event. I know you didn't have that info beforehand and as a result I can forgive your faulty reasoning. But as this should be a lesson to not assume that you know the reasons for everything. ;) As it stands, I still owe him BIG for waiting in the line that he did just for me.

Had I been there, I most likely would have stood in line right away once I understood the situation. I have no desire for autographs or meeting the stars and such. And the "extras" I would have gladly given away to friends. My hobby has always been about spending money.:rolleyes: ...not making it.;)

stevenmh
05-07-2002, 09:32 PM

Respectfully disagree all you want. My friend was working the event as a 501st Trooper and was promised first dibs on being in lines and such by WOTC. As it turned out, WOTC renigged on that and as I understand it, many of the 501st quit once they realized the situation. So, it wasn't because he was lazy that he didn't "get up early." It was because he was either working the event or at least at first, because he was under the impression that he would be given a fair opportunity to obtain access to events and merchandise in exchange for offering his services to the event. I know you didn't have that info beforehand and as a result I can forgive your faulty reasoning. But as this should be a lesson to not assume that you know the reasons for everything. ;) As it stands, I still owe him BIG for waiting in the line that he did just for me.

Had I been there, I most likely would have stood in line right away once I understood the situation. I have no desire for autographs or meeting the stars and such. And the "extras" I would have gladly given away to friends. My hobby has always been about spending money.:rolleyes: ...not making it.;)

Well, I stand corrected on my assumptions. If your friend was working the event and wanted figures, it's asinine that he was denied the opportunity to get them. That would be like working at McDonald's and not being able to get a Big Mac. I wonder how many figures WOTC employees stowed away for themselves. I know that once the sellout was announced on Sunday, some people ran over to the table outside the store to buy the last few on the walls there (they took them off the walls inside the store and sold them when stock ran low). The guy grabbed the figures off the wall and stuck them under the table, stating that they weren't for sale.

If you would have stood in line every day just to be able to give figures away, I'll gladly admit you're a better fan than I. Perhaps if more people took that attitude then these discussions wouldn't even be necessary. And perhaps there would have been less pushing and shoving at the convention. :)

stillakid
05-07-2002, 09:36 PM

Well, I stand corrected on my assumptions. If your friend was working the event and wanted figures, it's asinine that he was denied the opportunity to get them. That would be like working at McDonald's and not being able to get a Big Mac. I wonder how many figures WOTC employees stowed away for themselves. I know that once the sellout was announced on Sunday, some people ran over to the table outside the store to buy the last few on the walls there (they took them off the walls inside the store and sold them when stock ran low). The guy grabbed the figures off the wall and stuck them under the table, stating that they weren't for sale.

If you would have stood in line every day just to be able to give figures away, I'll gladly admit you're a better fan than I. Perhaps if more people took that attitude then these discussions wouldn't even be necessary. And perhaps there would have been less pushing and shoving at the convention. :)

I like the idea that somebody else had, of giving tear off "tickets" to redeem for the figures or punching the pass or something. Mabye for C3 they'll get their act together.

stevenmh
05-07-2002, 10:33 PM

I like the idea that somebody else had, of giving tear off "tickets" to redeem for the figures or punching the pass or something. Mabye for C3 they'll get their act together.

Well, they'll probaby have about 75,000 attendee feedback emails to consider between now and then. Hopefully they'll learn something from them.

CooLJoE
05-07-2002, 11:01 PM
Well, if I didn't get to verify someone's misfortune of not getting a figure from standing in line, then I would have given it to someone on here.

Of course, when I goto C3 (and damnit I am), if they have exclusive figures available and allow 2 per day per person, then I will most likely come in here and see if anyone is unable to go but wishes to have the exclusive figure. Then when I got back I would send em to those people (for cost + shipping of course).

Its a hobby people. Its not suppose to be profitable. Thats the point. You spend money to get items that are of personal value to you. Do you think I moan and whine about my R/C cars costing me $400+ per truck/car and not being able to sell them back for barely 65% of original cost? No, because thats not why I bought them in the first place. Heck, people in the R/C world don't even buy out exclusive items (and yes there are exclusive R/C stuff) and sell em on ebay.

Infact sometimes you see people in the R/C community helping others out by giving em good deals on parts they need. Sometimes they give em parts for free just to help a fellow hobbyist. When those people do decide to make a profit, they start up a company selling R/C products. And its not about the profit most of the time. Most times they do it to get better parts available and to get parts made that other companies might not make. A friend of mine does this.

So if your going to these shows knowing before hand that your selling the exclusive item, don't sit and say your not scalping or that your better than those people. If you were going to get a bunch ahead of time, why not help out people on here who said they couldn't go and asked for someone to help em out by getting one. Hobbies aren't a profitable thing, if you need a profit from it, stop having hobbies or atleast don't call them hobbies. Call them jobs.

SithDroid
05-08-2002, 11:56 AM
People who went to the event even missed out on the figure, largely due to greedy scalpers. I think that punching your pass would be the best way. That way you couldn't get more than your fair share. These people who got extras and intentionally put them on ebay make me sick. They call themselves fans yet they exploit other fans. Also, if you went to C2 exclusively for the figure, then something is wrong there in the first place. I would have liked to have gone, but it was too far away and would have cost me way too much money. I would have been more interested in getting autographs and going to seminars, not wasting my time in a huge line waiting for the figure. Why waste your day doing that? There's tons of other stuff to do. Don't get me wrong, I would have wanted a figure, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. The thing that makes me mad is that people buy up extras with the "intent to sell on ebay." Also the fact that Hasbro's take on the whole thing is something like "Well if you couldn't afford to come to this overpriced event and stand in this huge line for an underproduced convention exclusive, then you deserve to not get one." Being able to have the money and go to a convention does NOT make you more of a fan than anyone else. It just means your more financially secure than others. All the people on here that ridicule those of us who didn't get to go can just leave for all I'm concerned. I'm tired of people saying that they should have found a way to come up with the money. Whatever, it's just a hobby, not a life and death situation.

CooLJoE
05-08-2002, 02:24 PM
In all reality, the best solution would be something like the punching ticket method or to give special tickets that are redeemable for the figures. And really they should only allow someone to get a total of 2 for the entire weekend. Why they allowed 6 is beyond me. That just leaves it wide open for scalpers even if they play by the rules. People don't need 6 for themselves anyways. 2 is plenty.

hango fett
05-08-2002, 02:38 PM
it's an ok gimmick. they could have not put the little x-wing in with him, but they had to doo it, huh?
ah, i'll try to find him somewhere anyway....

Amanamike
05-09-2002, 10:22 PM
Has anyone seen all the ebay auctions of the Jorg Sacul figure??? It looks like every person who recienved a figure is selling it on ebay for god sakes!!! Is this what Hasbro is trying to tell us?? That we should buy our figures from scalpers??? This is such crap its not funny, and even worse is the fact that almost every auction, the figure price ends around 60-70 US . I guess Ill never be owning one of these suckers and Im sure alot of you guys wont either. Oh well another kick in the @$$ to the collectors!!

Dak Powers
05-09-2002, 10:30 PM
Christ, another one of these... You have no clue how many of these posts have been made during the past two weeks.

Bosskman
05-09-2002, 10:32 PM
Am I the only one here who thinks this thing is the biggest waste of plastic EVER CREATED? It's ugly, it's a reash with a stupid ugly George Lucas head, IT'S NOT EVEN IN ANY MOVIE!!!!! I read in another post that people were quitting the hobby because they could'nt get this piece of garbage. ARE YOU PEOPLE ON CRACK!!!!? If I saw this filthy, hideous (I can't even bring myself to call it a SW figure) I would spit on it! If I had one I'd take it out to the garage and torture it in the vice. Why oh why would any of you want such an abomination? That chrome vader was bad enuff but this? "I'm gonna quit SW collecting because I can't get my hands on a figure of a big fat millionaire that wasn't in the movies." DO YOU PEOPLE REALIZE WHAT YOU"RE SAYING? Now, before you start at me with the whole "George made SW thing" I'll tell you that just because I love SW doesn't mean I want a George Lucas figure! How bout a Rick McCallum figure with profanity sound chip? At least that loudmouthed lardass was in TPM! The riteup on the back of the Sacul card too, can anyone say conceit? How bout narcisism? No? How about swolen head Full-of-himself? Spielberg hasn't even gone this freaking far!! Next to Jorg Sacul I'd prefer Aurra Sing. Yes, I even capitalized that wench's name because, next to that trash she's RH Vader! I'm gonna go now and puke in disgust.

Darth_Mud
05-09-2002, 11:11 PM
That's too funny!

stillakid
05-09-2002, 11:19 PM
Don't hold back...tell us how you really feel.;)

QLD
05-10-2002, 12:15 AM
I bet Jorg Sacul hates you too.

Mr Sci Fi
05-10-2002, 03:58 AM
Punching or rip off tickets would have helped but not stopped people wanting more than 2 figs, you would've just simply needed to buy an extra day pass for every two figs you wanted, in the end the cost per fig would've been a little higher but that's it.

25k sacul figures produced, 2 per person equals 12,500 people getting them , over 20k of people in attendence (not counting 3day pass attendees). It's just bad numbers and wotc should've seen this way in advance.

here's another way at looking at scalper prices, no matter what they sell a figure at they'll hardly make a dime on them. After you figure out all the costs, each sacul figure costs them over a hundred. $100 (3day pass) $250(airline tickets) $400(3night hotel room) $50 (food). If you use those numbers I provided above and you could get 6 figs (2per day) each fig would be costing you $143.00