PDA

View Full Version : Bucket O' Stormtroopers revisited

stillakid
08-16-2001, 10:22 AM
This seemed like a good idea to most people but never managed to snowball. Perfect alternative packaging for army builders and non-mint collectors (read: we who open the boxes). Who's with me?!:eek:

JediTricks
08-16-2001, 12:11 PM
I am! Dunno about the bucket count though, some folks were saying 20 stormies for $50, that seemed excessive to me, it'd be better if it was 6 for $20. But I'd be on board no matter what, so long as the product wasn't low-quality like the Battle Droid pack in foreign figures.

the master jedi
08-16-2001, 04:26 PM
Bucket O' Stormtroopers eh? I wish Hasbro would make this and make it soon. I've been wanting them for a while now.

jedi master sal
08-16-2001, 05:17 PM
I have just counted and the tally is in I have a total of 104 stormies of some variant or another ie

stormtrooper 3 3/4in
snowtrooper 3 3/4in
scouttrooper clean and dirty 3 3/4in
CT stormtrooper 3 3/4in
deluxe Stormtrooper 3 3/4in
deluxe Snowtrooper 3 3/4in
sandtrooper (white, black "grey", orange paulrons) 3 3/4in
12in sand and sand w/dewback
but I'd still buy more

wooo hooo

STORMIES STORMIES STORMIES STORMIES STORMIES STORMIES STORMIES STORMIES STORMIES STORMIES STORMIES !

humsup
08-16-2001, 11:51 PM
Bukets of Stormtroopers, Rebel Fleet Troopers, Snowtroopers, Sandtroopers, Hoth Rebel Soldiers, Endor Rebel Soldiers, Scout Troopers and multi packs for Imperial Officers. All should have RFT's articulations!!! Is it too much to ask?:eek:

I have a total of 16 various versions of Stormtroopers :

1. Dewback Rider Stormtrooper (removed pouldron) - X9
2. POTF2 SAtormtrooper - X2
3. POTF2 Luke Stormtrooper - X3
4. Han Stormtrooper (kellogs) - X1
5. CTC Stormtrooper - X1

QLD
08-17-2001, 04:01 AM
No new stormies!!!

They will make my 20 POTF stormies look bad! ;)

Actually, the more the merrier.

the master jedi
08-17-2001, 05:53 PM
What about a Bucket o' battle droids?

humsup
08-17-2001, 09:16 PM
I think if BattleDroids were to be squeezed inside one bucket, you won't be able to make them stand at all when they are poured out. Flimsy limps may just deforms and the bucket'll be just a pile of scrap droid metal :)

the master jedi
08-17-2001, 09:37 PM
perhaps you're right but still it's just a thought. Maybe they could just make them with no joints and posed them in certain positions like they do with those green army men.

Rollo Tomasi
08-18-2001, 05:17 AM
Maybe Bucket o' Ewoks?

Bucket o' Gungans?

Bucket o' Midichlorians? Actually, that one should be pretty easy to mass produce . . .

Bucket o' E.T. Senators?

Bucket o' Rick McCallum Naboo officials?

Rollo Tomassi
08-18-2001, 12:22 PM
How about bucket of Rollo's? there seems to be more of us every day...

the master jedi
08-18-2001, 12:51 PM
Bucket O' DeckardSmiths? You could recreate the Deckard Smith experience in figure form.

JediCole
08-18-2001, 02:14 PM
Though the "Bucket O' Stormtroopers" is a valid idea, I think it is impractical and would tend to reduce the Star Wars brand to the staus of "Army Men". I believe a more feasable and marketable approach would be a Stormtrooper Multi-Pack, much like those made for Batman Animated characters at present. A thin, long, rectangular window box showcasing six to eight Stormtroopers of various types. I don't mean Sandtrooper, Stormtrooper, Scout Trooper, etc. I mean your run of the mill Imperial Stormtrooper. One desiged to be standing at attention, one with articulation designed for a blaster firing stance (with up and down head motion so he can shoot up at Luke and Leia on the Death Star chamsm gantry, one with a different kind of action stance, perhaps designed to be firing a blaster one-handed. You get the idea. Another good addition to such a set would be one of the Death Star surface Stormtroopers. When the Falcon is being tractored onto the Death Star, troopers are clearly visible outside the various landing bays. I have seen a picture of George Lucas talking to one of the actors in this shot and there are subtle differences in the costume, including a kind of oxygen tank type aparatus on the back, suggesting these guys were intended to patrol in a less than ideal environment, but looked much like the normal Stormtroopers otherwise.

bigbarada
08-18-2001, 03:08 PM
I like JediCole's idea, but I seriously doubt that we will ever see anything like this from Hasbro.:(

Must be the pessimist in me.

stillakid
08-18-2001, 04:53 PM
Exactly! But the Bucket O' wouldn't "reduce" anything. It's just a different way to distribute more product that people want at a cheaper price.

Hasbro can still release perfectly mint carded figures for those who feel the need to trap their guys inside for life, but for everyone else in building armies of Stormtroopers (of every type), other Imperial officers, Rebel Soldiers, Gungans, Jawas, etc. etc. etc., this is an idea whose time has come.

The fancy packaging of the Batman type is 180 degrees from what I'm talking about, though interesting as a specialized gift pack or something. Hasbro just can't produce enough army builder characters on cards to fulfill the demand. This is a better option for non-mint collectors.

2-1B
08-18-2001, 05:10 PM
stillakid, I really like your idea!

Hasbro would do well with this. They have done enough variants of major characters that a Bucket o' Obi-Wans could be released.

While resculpts warm the pegs, I can see a nice rotation of volumed Stormies moving quite well.

JediTricks
08-18-2001, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by JediCole
Though the "Bucket O' Stormtroopers" is a valid idea, I think it is impractical and would tend to reduce the Star Wars brand to the staus of "Army Men". I believe a more feasable and marketable approach would be a Stormtrooper Multi-Pack, much like those made for Batman Animated characters at present. A thin, long, rectangular window box showcasing six to eight Stormtroopers of various types.Yeah, try getting TRU to make shelf space for THAT box. :p Those Batman boxed sets barely move because they waste so much shelf space that they have to be hidden under other stuff. Plus, it's not like SW is proving to deserve that much shelf space anymore, TRU barely moves the line.

humsup
08-18-2001, 09:00 PM
I have a slightly warped idea spin off from JediCole's thread, I think Hasbro can come out with a Stormtrooper's box. Meaning this box will have 3 main carded stormtroopers, the Vintage one, POTF2 and then CTC Stormtrooper, it'll be 3 pack. Hasbro can also do this to all other figs who has got multiple re-sculpts ir Luke X-Wing, Lando, etc ......

stillakid
08-18-2001, 11:40 PM
What's the point of gift boxing carded figures? If people are so desperate for different packaging, go buy Photoshop and some cardboard and whip some up at home. It's all about the toys, not the box.

2-1B
08-19-2001, 12:05 AM
stillakid, your use of the term "bucket" is quite clear - to convey the idea that all you want is a pile of Stormies to work with. No fancy packaging.

I too am confused by the talk of a gift box.

stillakid
08-19-2001, 12:09 AM
I'll run with the gift box idea if it will help Hasbro produce and sell characters that they are afraid won't go over too well, such as a Cantina alien gift box, or a Jabba's Palace Aliens gift box. That way they could package some of the "lesser" figures all together in a way that won't necessarily commit them to warehousing a million carded figures that might not sell.

Obi-Don
08-19-2001, 06:48 AM
I really like the idea of the bucket O.It would be a great way to build a army and I don't think it would bring Star Wars to the army status.I think that allot would go crazy over these and would sell at "big Money"rate.I would buy as much as I could.:D

JediTricks
08-19-2001, 09:46 AM
I gotta say, this "gift box" idea doesn't suit what I think would work best for this. And the idea of having even MORE vint and POTF2 stormies when there's a CTC stormie to be had is not very appealing IMO. An army-building bucket saves on packaging, saves on shelf-space (an important issue to Hasbro and retailers), and gives the most basic of army builder needs to everybody in the simplest of ways. Having multiple variations in the box would be nice, but even without, the "bucket o' stormies" works best IMO.

Stillakid, you have any idea how much Photoshop costs? ;) (btw, around $600)

Obi-Dan Kenobi
08-19-2001, 12:55 PM
Yeah, bucket of stormtroopers is the way to go. And they wouldn't have to resculpt them. A big pile of the commtech version would be perfect. That, and a bag of blasters included. This would be a perfect item for the fan club.

stillakid
08-19-2001, 06:23 PM
Um, yeah, I have it, but any less expensive program like Photo Deluxe will do the same thing. :D

And yeah, I think that they should fill the bucket with the best versions of figures possible, ie. Commtech Stormtroopers. No need to clutter up the collection with guys nobody wants.

So, how do we start a petition for this? Or a poll?

Neo Solo
08-19-2001, 06:57 PM
Sounds good to me. Just so long as each figure is sculpted differently somehow. It could be very good.

Hasbro could set up a side shop, that just produces these things. A new bucket each year. Stormtroopers one year, Biker Scouts the next. I don't know how many sculpters there are, working at Hasbro. They could each be asked to come up with 1 figure to add to the bucket. Ewoks the year after that. Even Cantina Aliens. Jabba's Palace Aliens. Droids. They could even get into EU stuff.

The possibilities are endless. It just depends on what Hasbro would want to put into it for time and effort. How many different buckets in a year and so forth.

stillakid
08-20-2001, 07:36 PM
Why the different resculpts? Why only one bucket per year? Those ideas are the antithesis of the entire concept which is more of the product we want, more often, in a less expensive package.

Barring a plastic shortage, how difficult could it be to churn out another ton of guys per week/month and stick em in a bucket?

Neo Solo
08-20-2001, 11:09 PM
I agree, Stillakid, why only 1 bucket per year. It would be cool if Hasbro could crank 'em out 1 a month. Bucket of the month would be good. Jawas 1 month, Tusken Raiders the next.

As for the different sculpts. I'm sorry, I just do Not want to have 40 Stormtroopers all standing the same. Articulation is the key, but so is saving money. I wouldn't mind 'em all the same if they have Comtech Stormtrooper articulation. You have to admit, 40 fully articulated Stormtroopers, now THAT would rock!!

JediCole
08-20-2001, 11:28 PM
I did not intend to impugne the nature of the "Bucket" idea, I was speaking more from the standpoint of perception, especially on the part of LucasFilm. As appealing (for army builders) as a Bucket o' Stormtroopers is (and believe me it is appealing as I was tempted to become an army builder myself when I found the newest incarnation of the Stormtroopers at Toys R Us en masse at $1.99 each), from the standpoint of the Star Wars brand it is impractical. It seems unlikely that either Hasbro or especially LucasFilm would go for something like that. At its heart it is a great idea, especially for army building, something that has been little addressed by Hasbro, but the bucket approach just doesn't seem Star Wars.

stillakid
08-21-2001, 12:18 AM
A wise man once said "You gotta cross the line to know where it is." If Star Wars toys had never been made, who would ever know if they would have been popular?

If by saying that Bucket's don't seem to be Star Wars, you're implying that these toys are purely for .001 - .00whatever mint in the box til death do us part collectors then okay. I don't think that is the case with most people who buy them.

The company does theoretically stand to make more money by only releasing figures on expensive cards, however I can't help believing that any perceived losses would be made up for in reduced packaging costs and shear volume of sales.

It boils down to this: if I can't find a carded CommTech Stormtrooper on the shelf, I can't buy one. That's $7 bucks that stays in my wallet and out of their hands. If however they can more easily distribute a $30 bucket of figures and make them widely available, they'll get money that wasn't going to be available to them in any other way.

If Hasbro is out to produce nothing but display trophies, kind of like the Danger Girl set of figures, then it should go ahead and do that. The product thus far isn't of that quality and doesn't appear to be headed in that direction anytime soon.

bigbarada
08-21-2001, 12:48 AM
Hasbro already has the molds made for the COMMTECH Stormtrooper, so how hard would it be to churn out a bunch of figures and sell them in baggies in a bucket? The mold-making is the hardest part, so why not?

hairless chewie
08-21-2001, 02:49 AM
I think that this is something that the fan club could offer and it would be an exclusive that isn't still in stock 3 years after it's released. So far they have released figures that would have been made eventually the way the hobby is going. Plus a barrel of stormtroopers would beat that lame carbon freeze chamber. It could be a test run to see how feasible the bucket concept would be. Maybe 5 for $20 and they would still turn a profit. I'm all for the idea and it would cut down on the back-stabbing going on in the aisles by the Army builders.

JediTricks
08-21-2001, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
Um, yeah, I have it, but any less expensive program like Photo Deluxe will do the same thing.Riiiight, and a Ford Pinto is just as adequate as a Ferrari F-50, since they're both cars. ;) "Paint Shop Pro" might be comparable to Photoshop for these needs, though I love the Photoshop interface and HATE the Paint Shop Pro one.

Whatever they do, get articulated wrists into the Stormtrooper and give them the correct blasters (the new ones)!

I think some of you guys might be overestimating how many buckets will sell, you churn out too many and that's the end of the line, no other buckets because stores will be sick of the ones they already can't sell.

BTW, if the bucket was also a mini-playset like the Endor Bunker or a Death Star hallway, with working doors or some other fun feature, these would be even better because the buckets wouldn't just be disposable garbage, they'd be another toy that kids could actually enjoy.

Neo Solo
08-21-2001, 07:26 PM
How about if the buckets were a part of a greater whole. Stormtrooper buckets are parts to a scale model AT-AT.

Na, that would never work. Scrap that last idea.

stillakid
08-21-2001, 11:50 PM
Do you really think they wouldn't sell out? This isn't a facitious (sp?) question, I'm just wondering what the real level of interest would be. I'm thinking of a bucket o', say 20 troopers, or 40 jawas (cause their smaller) for around 30 bucks would sell out consistently, but what do I know.

And sure, make the buckets stackable or something so they're not interchangable with the peanut butter buckets mom used to buy, so long as their design isn't so fancy that the "cheap" packaging concept goes out the window.

JediTricks
08-22-2001, 02:08 PM
At $30, I don't think they'll "sell out" unless they're released in seriously limited numbers, less than 6,000. The problem is, there's no way to know for sure, but higher-priced Star Wars toys don't seem to sell out unless they're rare, which in these times means exclusive or low amounts or both.

buba-fatt
08-22-2001, 06:34 PM
plastic bag em with a header card...even cheaper! Or, "mold-a-trooper injector molding playset" would be more like Kenners style. sorta like those playdoh sets but scaled larger with a sturdier type of molding material. you could have one injector machine, plastic refill kits, and mold sets of different types (stormtroopers, jawas, etc.). but, i would like to know why the same company that puts out a figure with good articulation for $4 (gi joe) puts out a lowsy $7 figure that can only be posed in a dying stance. a stormtrooper, or maybe even boba fett, would look excellent with gijoe articulation. but, im just a stupid redneck anyhow.

Neo Solo
08-22-2001, 10:35 PM
Seriously, I think Bucket 'o Troopers is an excellent idea. I would sign a petition for them. I think a lot of other people would, too. How do we get petitions into every Toys 'R Us, Target, Kay Bee on the North American continent? Lets make it happen!

stillakid
08-24-2001, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
At $30, I don't think they'll "sell out" unless they're released in seriously limited numbers, less than 6,000. The problem is, there's no way to know for sure, but higher-priced Star Wars toys don't seem to sell out unless they're rare, which in these times means exclusive or low amounts or both.

I've been thinking about this and my take on why some higher priced SW items don't sell is because the customer doesn't feel that they are getting a good value. Mosey down the toy aisle and look at the McFarlane figures and their price in comparison to Star Wars. Already the figures seem like a ripoff. With that attitude as a base, toss in the Deluxe figures which don't do a whole lot but cost several dollars more. The ships themselves are cool but do seem to be pricey lately. I distinctly remember paying $20 for my vintage Slave I when I was a kid and that's exactly what I paid for the new one a couple years ago. I have no idea how much the B Wing went for, but I'd be surprised if it was $40. $80 for the Queen's ship was just too much money for what it was. I think that mom's and dad's picked up on that and just didn't buy it for Jr. Even the vintage Falcon went for $50 bucks like the new one. Nonetheless, the ships seem to almost always sell out and they are the most expensive items on the shelf.

If you're talking about the Deluxe items sitting on shelves, that again goes back to value. Is is worth 10 bucks to attach a Qui Gon (a guy everybody had anyway) to a mini lightsaber thingie just to watch him wiggle around? Probably not.

I think that the perceived value of a Bucket O' figures would make the venture worthwhile. When a carded figure retails at around $7 and is rarely available, a parent is highly likely to "pick up" a bucket of figures when the cost of each figure in the bucket is effectively reduced by a dollar or two or three. Plus, it's like one stop shopping. In a one swift motion, the parent has provided the kid with hours of fun instead of having to painstakingly visit the toy aisle hoping against hope that any figures at all will be there, much less the Stormtrooper.

stillakid
08-27-2001, 11:22 PM
Thread dying....need ...air....aachh

C'mon! Get up! Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! Who's with me?

master jedi
08-28-2001, 06:05 PM
The Japs bombed Pearl Harbor not the Germans!!!!

stillakid
08-28-2001, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by master jedi
The Japs bombed Pearl Harbor not the Germans!!!!

Anybody want to take this one? I'd reply but it'll be better coming from someone else...

El Chuxter
08-28-2001, 07:10 PM
The Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. There's a world of difference in those two terms--as in between an adjective to describe inhabitants of the nation of Japan and a racial slur.

stillakid
08-28-2001, 08:21 PM
Umm, that's not it.

Does Animal House mean anything to anyone?

But I digress. Bucket O' Figures! That's the point here.

bigbarada
08-28-2001, 08:36 PM
The whole "Germans attacking Pearl Harbor" thing was obviously meant as a joke. No reason for anyone to get upset.

Now, as for the Bucket of Stormtroopers, I'm still behind it and would be first in line to buy one if they ever came out. You can never have too many Stormtroopers.

Especially if you want to make sure your Emperor figure gets a proper welcome.:D

master jedi
08-29-2001, 05:17 PM
I didn't mean Japs as a racial slur. I was just too lazy to type Japanese. I'm sorry if I offended anybody.

About this bucket o' troops. How many stormtroopers would you want per bucket?

stillakid
08-29-2001, 05:39 PM
Well, I look at it this way. If the standard retail price is rounded to about $7 per figure, then it might stand to reason that at least a third to a half of that is due to packaging and distribution requirements from start to finish. If you hack off, say $3 per figure in this case, then a Bucket O' 10 Figures should cost around $40. While that seems like a lot up front, keep in mind that the alternative is searching for weeks on end for 10 identical figures (ie, Stormtroopers) and paying upwards of $70 for them all. For one bucket, you've saved nearly half the money not to mention the gas and time it would have taken to find them all on cards.

I'll return to perceived value as well. The excuse most commonly bandied about for Hasbro not producing some items is that kids are their primary target. Most kids in the prime demographic don't usually have the kind of income to buy a Bucket O' anything OR individual figures either. Plus there is big competition for this age group from Pokemon, Digimon, Powerballz, and skateboarding stuff.

Where does the purchasing money come from then? Parents. Most parents are reluctant to buy toys, much less a lot of them if the price is too high for what is "in the box." This is where "value" comes in. If a parent can buy, what is essentially, an "instant playset" in a bucket for cheaper than could be bought in individual contaniners, they are more likely to do so. As a parent, I would.

TheJedi
08-30-2001, 07:44 PM
I know that I would buy all remaining stock of Buckets in my city. I would also travel to stores outside my city and buy buckets there too. I know there has to be at least one person like me in every region. I guarantee that a regular size run of these things would sell like hotcakes. Given a chance to buy 100's of Stormtroopers for a decent price, $3-$4 each, I'd jump on it. I would even if they didn't fix the wrists and knees(kneeling). But I think they would, so that would be even more incentive to buy. It would be like a regular monthly bill for me. Car Insurance, Cell Phone, Bucket O' something. =) If Hasbro really does read this section they need to realize they would make truckloads more money if they did this.

JediCole
08-31-2001, 12:31 PM
I had posted an earlier suggestion to this thread that Hasbro might be more likely to go for a window boxed set of Stormtroopers along the lines of the Batman Animated Series gift sets that appear at TRU. This got me thinking again about a custom boxed set I've wanted to make, but lack the capabilities to do the box justice (i.e.; a decent scanner and printer plus the technical skill to bring it all together). So I will pass this on to others in hopes that someone more able than myself can make such a thing happen. Even before the wonderful new Tatooine Stormtrooper was released I thought it would be fun to get two or three Sandtroopers, Uncle Owen, Aunt Beru, and a couple of Jawas and make a "Troops" boxed set (based on the fan film of the same name). Anyone up for the challenge?

JediCole
08-31-2001, 12:41 PM
It is rather ironic that so many feel that they would buy 100 Stormtroopers if they could get them at a decent price, yet there was a point when I saw close to 100 CommTech Stormies at $2.00 each at TRU (combined total seen at about four stores). I bought ten myself, but for the longest I could have bought even more. They sat on open peg for weeks on end before winding up in bins and finally disappearing. That would make retailers hesitant to invest in big buckets. Plus the modern dynamic of toy stores is "the more pegs the better". They really hate "shelf" things, prefering easy to move and reset, minimal space taking pegboard items.
However, if the Fan Club is looking for a new exclusive, here's the perfect choice! The Fan Club would be better suited to have a bucket (or bulk box) type of arrangement than a retail store. Not to mention that stores would have to worry about theft (yes, there are those collectors who are not honest and would have no qualms about skimming the odd trooper out of a bucket or buying buckets, removing one or two and returning them for a friendly refund). The fan club could offer something along the lines of "Army Building Bulk Packs", various troopers or other generic multiple characters sold in drab, brown cardboard boxes with "Stormtrooper Bulk Pack" on the outside and a mess of individually bagged troops inside. No frills, no fancy color packaging, just what the army builder wants, (esentially) loose figures!

stillakid
08-31-2001, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by JediCole
It is rather ironic that so many feel that they would buy 100 Stormtroopers if they could get them at a decent price, yet there was a point when I saw close to 100 CommTech Stormies at $2.00 each at TRU (combined total seen at about four stores). I bought ten myself, but for the longest I could have bought even more. They sat on open peg for weeks on end before winding up in bins and finally disappearing. That would make retailers hesitant to invest in big buckets. Plus the modern dynamic of toy stores is "the more pegs the better". They really hate "shelf" things, prefering easy to move and reset, minimal space taking pegboard items.
However, if the Fan Club is looking for a new exclusive, here's the perfect choice! The Fan Club would be better suited to have a bucket (or bulk box) type of arrangement than a retail store. Not to mention that stores would have to worry about theft (yes, there are those collectors who are not honest and would have no qualms about skimming the odd trooper out of a bucket or buying buckets, removing one or two and returning them for a friendly refund). The fan club could offer something along the lines of "Army Building Bulk Packs", various troopers or other generic multiple characters sold in drab, brown cardboard boxes with "Stormtrooper Bulk Pack" on the outside and a mess of individually bagged troops inside. No frills, no fancy color packaging, just what the army builder wants, (esentially) loose figures!

Yes it is sad that you saw so many Stormies sitting there in bins but that's just for that one store. In the many stores that I visit, I have yet to see just one CommTech Trooper on a peg...ever. I happened to find one Biker Scout the other day, but that was first.

The problem here seems to be that distribution is so screwed up that all the buyers in your particular area apparently got more than they could chew while the rest of us scrounge for the crumbs. CoolHanLuke (Great guy!) informed me that frequently would-be scalpers, when unable to sell their ill-gotten wares, will dump tons of product back into one or two stores that are convenient to them. Peg warmers in one place shouldn't disqualify the need for Bucket's O' for the rest of us. I'd hate for Hasbro to read that message and assume that every store is getting equal amounts of figures.

Lobito
08-31-2001, 04:46 PM
The idea of a bucket full of stormies is pretty cool, if this helps to make them produce the figures then u have my vote, lets give hasbro the ideas, they will decide if its produced. (lets hope it does!!)

stillakid
08-31-2001, 06:33 PM
How do we start petitions for this sort of thing? Micromachines got one.

ThomasLane
09-07-2001, 11:14 AM
In response to the 100's of troopers sitting in a bin at TRU: When my TRU got their shipment of $2 commtech figures, exactly 12 troopers and one R2 made it to the floor. There were dozens of everything else, and it was all gone within a couple days. Around here (Utah), "bucket o' troopers" would do well, as would "bucket o' heros" and "bucket o' droids".

Now I think I'll head out to TRU to pick up a "bucket o' Mon Mothmas". ;)

Ook
09-10-2001, 12:21 AM
I would kill for a multi-pack of COMMTech Stormtroopers, in plain, cheap packaging. I have none. I have yet to ever see this figure in any store other than the antique store I once saw them in for $16 apiece. I don't know where you people are findin 'em for two bucks... I only found two of the new Sandtroopers in the last week, at Walmart. Cheap army-builders would be fantastic.

Why do I suspect it won't happen?

Somehow I think we're more likely to see a carded multi-pack with say, a Stormtrooper, Snowtrooper and Sandtrooper. Maybe a Scout Trooper, too, or even a "newly sculpted" "exclusive!" new version. At the cost of exactly one arm & one leg, of course.

And I doubt the Fan Club will be of any help to us. Anyone remember the price tag on the Cantina Musician? And they came in cheap, white mailers.

Bulk stormtroopers at a fair price would be great.

GNT
09-10-2001, 04:31 AM
I dont think it'll happen because making a single Stormtrooper figure is expensive enough as it is due to all the parts involved! Unless Hasbro mark it up^

stillakid
05-28-2002, 05:47 PM
Well, I found them after I emptied the chips from the buckets. ;)

Darth Annexis
05-29-2002, 06:50 PM
I bought like 20 when Toys R Us had the ComTech Trooper on sale for 1.99 seemed like a good idea at the time...don't want any more Storm Troopers....

I want Clone troopers!!!!

Ook
05-30-2002, 01:15 AM
Trade them to me. You people that bought all those "troop builders" kept me from this figure until just a couple weeks ago. I just got 3 of the damn things from someone I picked up a GL for...

bigbarada
05-30-2002, 02:05 AM
I bought 31 of them and I highly doubt that I kept any from you vadersfist, since it is unlikely that you browse through the TRU in El Paso, TX.;)

In any case, I used them as part of a trade for a vintage A-Wing so they are long gone. Sorry.:(

stillakid
10-14-2007, 01:00 PM
Of course the original concept for this thread was a bucket 'o Stormtroopers. Here we are nearing the end of 2007 and the variety of different troops (Imperials and Rebels) is staggering. From the characters seen onscreen to the McQuarrie figures, for those wishing to build armies, there are a lot of choices.

So first, if anyone can post a list of all the various potential "troop builder" figures, that's the place to start. Then the question is, which figures would make great "Bucket O's ... " and which would you realistically buy? Again, we're not talking about expensive exclusive gift boxes... this is about army men type buckets of troops in inexpensive packaging designed to give the collector/kid a large number of "army men" to play with and not to keep pristine in MIB packaging for eternity.

2-1B
10-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Bucket o' Midichlorians to turn your regular figures into Jedi figures.

stillakid
10-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Bucket o' Midichlorians to turn your regular figures into Jedi figures.

It's ironically funny that the first response post out mentions Midis...bizarre actually...as that was my own initial "inspiration" for dusting off the Bucket o' thread. But I decided to take the high road.... :)

DarkArtist
10-14-2007, 07:55 PM
Of course the original concept for this thread was a bucket 'o Stormtroopers. Here we are nearing the end of 2007 and the variety of different troops (Imperials and Rebels) is staggering. From the characters seen onscreen to the McQuarrie figures, for those wishing to build armies, there are a lot of choices.

So first, if anyone can post a list of all the various potential "troop builder" figures, that's the place to start. Then the question is, which figures would make great "Bucket O's ... " and which would you realistically buy? Again, we're not talking about expensive exclusive gift boxes... this is about army men type buckets of troops in inexpensive packaging designed to give the collector/kid a large number of "army men" to play with and not to keep pristine in MIB packaging for eternity.

well we got and I not sure of all the variations etc but here goes:

Kenner Stormtrooper
Kenner SnowTrooper
Kenner Imperial Commander
Kenner Death Squad Commander
Kenner Royal Guard
Kenner Biker Scout
POTF Stormtrooper (both regular and crowd control)
POTF TIE Pilot
POTF Snowtrooper
POTJ Biker Scout (both dirty and clean)
POTJ SandTrooper (various pauldrons)
Comm-Tech Stormtrooper
Saga Imperial Officer (all 3 versions)
Saga Clone Trooper
Saga Sneak Peek Clone Trooper
Saga Clone Pilot
AOTC SA Clone Trooper
AOTC Officer Clone Trooper (Red, Yellow, Blue and Green)
Arc Trooper (Red / Grey)
ROTS Clone Trooper (SA white)
ROTS Clone Trooper -501st
ROTS Clone Trooper - Shock Trooper
Commander Gree
Commander Cody
Commander Bly
Commander Appo
Airborne Trooper
Galactic Marine
TAC Stormtrooper
Republic Commando
Omega Squadron
new comic white Republic Commados
Marvel Comic Stormtrooper (for the retro feel of the comics)
ROTS Royal Guard (both Red and Blue)
Saga TIE Pilot
Baron Fel
181st TIE Pilot
Commander Keller
Commander Bacara
Elite Corps Clone Trooper
Combat Engineer Trooper
Clone Trooper in training gear
Combat Poncho Clone Trooper
Alpha Arc Troopers
McStormies
McSnowies
POTF Admiral Piett
Saga General Veers
Saga Moff Jerjarrod
ROTS Tarkin
Death Star Briefing room set
Comm-Tech Admiral Motti
POTF Tarkin
Admiral Ozzel
Juno Elicipse
Lt Shane and Lt Jundland

i'm think I'm missing a few but there's a start. I know alot of the figures would be harder to have in the bucket of Imperials but still, this might be a way for Hasbro to release a bunch of kit-bashed figures that would normally clog the pegs. this would also be a great thing for us Army Builders and leave some of the troopers on the pegs for everyone else.

stillakid
10-14-2007, 10:09 PM
Fantastic list. Thank you!

I forgot to mention that this doesn't have to be limited to Imperial troops and officers. They need someone to fight so Bucket's o' Rebels and assorted Allies would be cool too. Like Rebel Pilots, Ewoks, Bespin Guards, etc.....

jedi master sal
10-15-2007, 02:02 AM
I would have bought Bucket-O's of MOVIE accurate troops. Mostly Clones and stormies. However the cost is an issue here. I'm tired of paying $7 a pop for the same figures over and over again.

Hasbro has made quite enough money off me from troops. Since none to virtually no new research and development takes place for reissued figures then I feel it's only fair to release these troop type figures at a lower cost.

Example:
Most I would pay for a Bucket-O 10 troopers=$50
Realistic price I would prefer to pay for same bucket=$40
Of course anything amount of dollars less would be awesome, but tha's unrealistic.

$4 a pop for reused after reused after reissue after reissue molds is quite fair to me. Precedent has been set with the battle Packs. Most of those are $20-25 for 5 figures. So $4-5 for troops makes sense.

Heck even COMPLETELY new troops should come at a less price if you buy in bulk.

Example:
The CORRECT Kashyyyk clone is coming out in wave 1 next year. It's one of the last army builders I want. And I want 40 of them.

At $40-50 per 10 fig bucket that's $160-200. A much easier pill to swallow than the $280 that I will have to pay for single carded figures. Not to mention I am goign to have to track down many more carded figs (and call upon my friends here to help me out with yet another clone hunt).

If not 10 figs in a bucket, then 5 figs in a small bucket. Then make the price $20-25. Again that precedent had already be set, so it makes sense to do.

I'd be thrilled with a Kashyyyk Clone set of 4 Kashyyyk Clones and a correct Gree for $20. I'd keep the first Gree and trade/sell off the rest of the Grees, but man, I'd build up those Kashyyyk clones and quickly, without having to search high and low for them.

Other examples of sets would be:
AOTC 10 pack (running changes):
1 commander, 1 lieutenant, 2 sergeants, 6 grunt clones OR
1 captain, 1 lieutenant, 2 sergeants, 6 grunt clones OR
2 lieutenants, 2 sergeants, 6 grunt clones

This way in those three sets you'd get a relative proportional amount of higher officers, lower officers and grunts.

Just one of each of those three sets would yield this result:
1 commander
1 captain
4 lieutenants
6 sergeants
18 grunts

This equates to 3 full squads of 1 lieutenant, 1 sergeant, and 3 grunts each, plus a command staff of 1 commander, 1 captain, 1 lieutenant.

That's a great platoon size of clones. Fairly even in relation to ranks of the officers and more reflective of what our real life military breakdown is for platoons.

oh and for the love of gawd, please keep them clean. I hate the same battle damage/dirt on the clones. They all don't get hurt or dirty the same. If we want them battle damaged or dirty, we can do that ourselves VERY easy!

-Sal

bigbarada
10-15-2007, 02:42 AM
My only real concerns for this idea is what kind of paint jobs would these figures end up with? If their paint apps would be anywhere near as bad as the Unleashed Battle Packs (eg: looking like they were applied by monkeys strung out on crack), then I think this is a really bad idea.

Besides, based on the number of peg-warming trooper figures at my Wal-Mart, everyone should be done with army-building by now, so it's a non-issue.:p

jedi master sal
10-15-2007, 05:40 PM
...Besides, based on the number of peg-warming trooper figures at my Wal-Mart, everyone should be done with army-building by now, so it's a non-issue.:p

Agreed. My suggestions were more from the point of view of what SHOULD have been done already and not now. Though I still think it would have had merit now instead of individually carded Clones.

Too late for that now. I'm only afters 1 red, 9 blue, 2 green and then I'm done with AOTC clones.

The white ROTS clone was just a bad idea. Not seen in the movie at all. This should have been the SA 501st we were promised, not an all white one. Now Hasbro will sour on the idea of the SA 501st because clones aren't moving so fast. That's not our fault. They gave us the wrong clone...

I dread to see what a nightmarish peg warming section we are going to have once the last newly voted on Legends wave hits stores.

2-1B
10-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Bucket o' Gungans
Bucket o' Ice Cream Maker Guys
Bucket o' Imperial Dignitaries
Yarna in a Bucket

jedi master sal
10-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Bucket o' Gungans
Bucket o' Ice Cream Maker Guys
Bucket o' Imperial Dignitaries
Yarna in a Bucket

Don't you mean:
Bucket o' SA Gungans
Bucket o' Ice Cream Maker Guys with a different flavor each!
Bucket o' Imperial ***** kissers
Yarna in a KFC Bucket

Cash
11-11-2007, 10:39 AM
Would definitely buy!

...especially if they throw in a couple of different types of trooopers along with the regular Storm Troopers.

decadentdave
11-11-2007, 10:48 AM
Knowing Hasblo they will be molded with that cheap flexible plastic which means they will not stand up worth a damn and the weapons will be the flimsy rubbery plastic that won't hold its shape. In a bulk assortment they will probably not use the articulated VOTC trooper but would opt for the POTJ version currently used in the Capture of Tantive IV battle pack. I'd have to say no unless they guarantee the current Saga Legends version of troopers with quality paint ops and plastic.

decadentdave
11-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Besides, based on the number of peg-warming trooper figures at my Wal-Mart, everyone should be done with army-building by now, so it's a non-issue.:p

This has more to do with the increased cost of figures. It was easier to army build when figures were $5 each instead of $7 or $8. I wouldn't mind picking up some more troops but I'm waiting for them to get marked down after the holidays.

bigbarada
11-13-2007, 11:16 PM
This has more to do with the increased cost of figures. It was easier to army build when figures were $5 each instead of $7 or $8. I wouldn't mind picking up some more troops but I'm waiting for them to get marked down after the holidays.

Not really, my Wal-Mart still has the figures at $6.63 and the new waves are selling at a pretty decent pace, but the troopers are still pegwarming badly. EVERY trooper figure, be they Clonetrooper, Stormtrooper, Biker Scout or McSnowtrooper. So, people are buying the figures, just not army-building.

I would support the idea of a "bucket o' troopers" because it would appeal to that tiny niche market AND free up space in the regular line for some more variety, instead of just row after row of clones.

jedi master sal
11-14-2007, 10:18 AM
Not really, my Wal-Mart still has the figures at $6.63 and the new waves are selling at a pretty decent pace, but the troopers are still pegwarming badly. EVERY trooper figure, be they Clonetrooper, Stormtrooper, Biker Scout or McSnowtrooper. So, people are buying the figures, just not army-building.

I would support the idea of a "bucket o' troopers" because it would appeal to that tiny niche market AND free up space in the regular line for some more variety, instead of just row after row of clones.

I agree. However I think the time for this idea has passed. There just aren't enough army builders out there and those of us that still are, seem to be cutting back on how many we buy. I'm not the extreme AB I've been in the past. Other than the correct Kashyyyk trooper, I'm done with large armies. Only squads of 5 for me from now on.

For me to buy a Bucket-o-Troopers (B-o-T), it would have to be incredibly economical.

Say a 10-piece bucket for $40 or less. It's not unprecedented either. Battle packs at Target (their exclusive ones) go for $20 on average. Those packs include 5 figures. Do the math and that's $4 per fig. AND that's with stylized packaging.

For a B-o-T there is no reall need to have a flashy package. The whole idea of this is to make it economical to buy. Simpler packaging, NO windows, etc. can bring costs down.

Way back when the fanclub sold the 4-pack of Stormies they were in generic white boxesm crammed in as small a box as possible. I'd very much like to see that happen again.

We all know what the figures look like, not need to "glam" up the packaging. Ten troopers in a plain white box wouldn't have to be any bigger than say 8"wide, 4" tall, and 2.5" deep. Shipping would be very cheap for these too. (I'm imagining these to be a net excusive and not for retail)

If made for retailers, the packaging would almost certainly be glammed up. They want something to look nice, to sell.

pkalan70
11-24-2007, 01:36 AM
I have been collecting since 1977 and Hasbro/Kenner has yet to release even a stormtrooper 2 pack despite repeated fan requests.
Bucket of stormtroopers?
How many can I fit into my cart?
Long long long overdue.