PDA

View Full Version : Scorpion King

SithDroid
04-19-2002, 07:45 PM
I just saw the Scorpion King and all I can say is, wait for it to come to video.

The movie was alright, but there were too many wrestling references. Like during one point of the movie Michael Clark Duncan and The Rock are fighting each other and MCD turns to the crowd and holds up his hands and yells at them while The Rock is face down on the ground. This gives the Rock the time to get up and make a comeback, just like in CLASSIC wrestling. Plus there is a part where MCD slams The Rocks head into a pole three or four times in a row just like you would into a turnbuckle. Plus not to mention all the bodyslams and other moves used throught the movie.

Also the soundtrack to this movie is HORRIBLE. I can not count how many times an electric guitar solo was used during fight sequences, which I felt was way inappropriate for a movie taking place during this time period. It had no kind of adventure element to it at all.

Also, there were a lot of childish and corny jokes.

Overall it was alright, but definately one I will not be purchasing.

Also the story somehow doesn't fit very well with The Mummy Returns. I knew going into this movie that it was going to be bad, so I'm not totally surprised.

Beast
04-19-2002, 07:51 PM
Sounds just like how I figured from all I read about the movie since it was announed. Glad I wasn't in a rush to go see it, from your comments about the movie SithDroid I am gonna stick to my original thoughts about this movie til it hits video. "Sucktaculer" and "Craptastic" come to mind. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JetsAndHeels
04-20-2002, 01:35 AM
I just saw it a few hours ago. Not a horrible movie, but not a great one either. I would give it a C if I were grading it. Basically its average.
Sithdroid, youre right about the music. Songs by bands like Godsmack when this movie is supposed to be way, way back in the past? Not good.
Also did you notice the Rock doing the eyebrow during the scene when he was with all the girls in the tent? I figured they would throw that in somewhere.
So, if you must go see it, fine. But I wouldnt recommend you spend the price for admission-just wait and rent it on video.

2-1B
04-20-2002, 02:01 AM
I've not seen it yet (haven't even watched Mummy Returns ;) ), but
this February report (http://filmforce.ign.com/scorpionking/articles/323/323959p1.html) was rather alarming.
Did this come across for you in the movie?

JetsAndHeels
04-20-2002, 02:09 AM
Well the movie was only around 1 hr, 26 minutes long, but to be honest it seemed a little longer in some spots because it was kind of boring. However towards the end it gets a little better, with more fight and action sequences. But yes, 86 minutes is short for a film like that.

scruffziller
04-20-2002, 02:16 PM
Ebert gave it 1 and a half stars. I see why he thought that, the acting was somewhat substandard, but it delivered a saturation of what makes films great to the audience that they appeal to. I would give it at LEAST 2 and a half stars. Little to much comic relief. Best seen was the beginning, when it shows a closeup of a guard and THWUNK, Razor star right into left eye. CLASSIC!!!!!

Beast
04-20-2002, 02:20 PM
Discussion of it going on here.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6503

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

hango fett
04-20-2002, 04:19 PM
anyone else seen this yet? this is one for you guys who like alot of action/violence and a cute girl who has a great power...go see this one if you can!

THE Slayer
04-20-2002, 10:14 PM
The only thing I liked about this movie was the fact that they didn't even try to use accents. At least the people who made the movie understood what it was and didn't try and make it believeable. The rest was just ridculous.

saladin
04-20-2002, 11:14 PM
If you love cheesy comedy and action (who dosn't)this is an awsome movie:crazed:

Eternal Padawan
04-21-2002, 09:31 AM
One of my friends said it was completely believable because all the women were Playboy bunnies...:rolleyes:

Eternal Padawan
04-21-2002, 09:33 AM
Rejoice! (or not...) Both Scorpoin King 2 and a third Mummy movie are on their way...

Eternal Padawan
04-21-2002, 09:35 AM
I feel like starting a new thread to discuss this movie and I haven't even seen it! :rolleyes:

SithDroid
04-21-2002, 02:05 PM
The Mummy 3 I can probably handle, although I'm getting sick and tired of them "Resurrecting" him over and over. I guess movies studios have never heard of the old saying, 3 strikes and you're out.

Scorpion King 2 will be horrible. There was never a need for Scorpion King 1. The only reason I went and saw it was because I got a free pass when I developed some film. If it hadn't been free, then I never would have gone and seen it.