PDA

View Full Version : Is palpatine a Jedi?????

Lobito
09-04-2001, 12:35 PM
I always wondered if palpatine was a Jedi...

If he was, then how come none of the Jedi Council recognize him or even felt that he was strong with the force???

your thoughts.

Fulit
09-04-2001, 02:01 PM
I've always heard this one explained away as "Hard to see, the Dark Side is....." I guess it makes sense, somehow Sith (or at least Palpatine) are able to keep Jedi from sensing the disturbance in the Force that they would cause.

master jedi
09-04-2001, 02:17 PM
Palpatine is not a Jedi. He's a Sith. Like Fulit said, he's able to keep jedi from sensing his dark presence.

JediTricks
09-05-2001, 11:32 AM
I believe Palpatine is a Jedi, but not trained by the Jedi council. I believe the Sith are Jedi, perhaps in the way one might say Catholics are Christians.

As for this "the Jedi never sensed him" stuff, I think it's not an issue since the Jedi never sensed that Darth Maul was behind doors or bearing down on them in the desert, nor did Luke sense the Emperor's true abilities in ROTJ.

Lobito
09-05-2001, 05:54 PM
The original Sith Lords were jedi, (SW Tales of The Jedi) two of them fled the Republic to a distant galaxy and conquered the Sith race. (Thats why they are called sith) After the death of the original Dark jedi's, the following sith lords had to learn the sith ways by Sith Teachers, which means they are no longer Jedi's. However this story is E.U. thus is not considered canon, maybe Palpatine was also a Dark Jedi but no one in the council knew of him...??? Well, i guess we will find out in the next films.

GNT
09-06-2001, 01:41 AM
I guess jedi can't sense Sith behide doors and walls?

His a sith so he might have the power to cloak himself from the Jedi.Maybe Jedi can only sense true evil of someone? And since Palpatine was not as much evil in EP they couldn't detect him?

Obi-Don
09-06-2001, 08:48 AM
I believe that the Sith can hide thier ture self and is one the thier greatest feets.That is why the jedi can not see him for what he turely is.It gives them a Ace in the hole for when they need it.

No I don't think he was a Jedi.I believe he trained as Sith.If someone out there knows for sure,please let us know.

Mandalorian Candidat
09-06-2001, 09:39 AM
The only reason why Yoda had that line about "Hard to see, the Dark side is" is because Lucas had to come up with a "plausible" way that Darth Sidious could be right under the Jedis' noses without them knowing it. It was totally the opposite with Luke and Vader in ROTJ. They could both sense each other's presence being that far away from each other, but it served the purpose of the movie to have them ID each other. I throw it up to just a needed plot device.

evenflow
09-06-2001, 09:50 AM
I always felt that the reason why the connection was so strong between Luke and Vader was because they were father and son. The force played a large part, but the connection between father and son made it possible. I do not think that Palpatine is a trained Jedi. I see him being someone who taught himself by reading some old books and stuff like that.

JediTricks
09-06-2001, 10:35 AM
I think the closeness of their relationship is what gave Vader and Luke (and Vader and Obi-Wan) the ability to sense each other. However, in ROTJ, Palpatine did not sense Luke's presence on Endor when Vader did, and we KNOW that he was definitely a Sith there. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon don't sense Maul behind a door less than 15 feet ahead of them in Ep 1, and Qui-Gon doesn't sense Maul on the speederbike in the desert either.

2-1B
01-17-2002, 03:24 AM
I wonder how Palpatine fits in with the midichlorian issue?

Does he have a high count, thus explaining his force lightning abilities?

Or does he have a very low count, because "hard to see the dark side is"?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Obi-Don
01-17-2002, 07:53 AM
My guess would be high. I believe he would have to be powerfull to put off all that he does.

bigbarada
01-17-2002, 05:35 PM
I would assume Sith would be able to learn how to mask their evil intent when around Jedi. However, it would probably be an aquired skill. Palpatine would teach it to Maul since he was supposed to be a secret weapon; but Vader wouldn't really need it and even if Palpatine taught him how, he would probably never use the ability.

LTBasker
01-17-2002, 05:47 PM
I think Palpatine is just there and when he's alone in his room everynight plays with toy lightsabers and pretends he's a sith and a jedi at the same time. :D

If he was a Sith: 12 Jedi Masters, 2 Jedi Knights, and the Chosen one wouldn't be able to sense the Dark Side right next to them even if it was hard to sense? Palpy if he was Dath Sidious, I doubt wouldn't been able to hide himself from 14 Jedi and the chosen one while standing right next to them.

If he was a Jedi: That'd be even wierder than him being Sidious.

bigbarada
01-17-2002, 05:53 PM
I know this sounds like I'm splitting hairs; but maybe since the Jedi weren't actively searching through Palpatine's brain they weren't able to detect him.

Who knows? I'm just flying on fumes now.:crazed:

SithDroid
01-27-2002, 01:46 PM
Perhaps Palpatine has on some special kind of clothing, like that made of the (whatver that animal is called in the Heir to the Empire series, where Thrawn puts them up around everywhere because they repel the force), which could explain how they couldn't sense him. Just like Superman can't see through lead.:D

I don't know, thought of it off the top of my head.

CaptainSolo1138
07-18-2007, 01:29 PM
I think you're all wrong. The real reason is poor writing and/or execution.