PDA

View Full Version : 35,600 gigaflops!

SWAFMAN
04-20-2002, 07:35 PM
Japanese supercomputer is 5x faster than fastest U.S. computer (http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_571790.html?menu=news.latestheadlines)

Jargo
04-20-2002, 08:06 PM
And all they use this for is a weather report? Shocking... truly shocking. :dead:

Jason B
04-20-2002, 08:39 PM
not really that suprising, predicting the weather is impossible to do (there's too many variables) and it tracks all of the weather currents on the entire earth? :eek:

Jargo
04-21-2002, 03:08 PM
Of all the things it could be doing, like finding a cure for cancer or ending world poverty or working out how to get the toothpaste back in the tube once you've squeezed it all out accidentaly - they set it working on a weather prediction. Just look out the damned window and see if it's raining or not. how much weather do you need to know about? Raining - take an umbrella to work. Not raining - leave the umbrella at home. Not sure - take the umbrella anyway. How difficult is that to comprehend?
They need a supercomputer to work out when it's going to rain? How it's going to rain? what shape the droplets will be - what? They doing it so that people who live next to rivers don't get washed away? People who live next to rivers deserve to be washed away. How dumb is it to live somewhere dangerous like on or near a volcano mountain? How dumb is it to live on a cliffside that will crumble like a biscuit at the drop of a hat. How dumb is it to live at the bottom of a huge overhang of earth that will turn to a mudslide if it rains?
Don't live there, it's that simple. What do they need a computer for when common sense and logic and the natural urge for self preservation tell you not to live somewhere dangerous. The world gets dumber by the day. I despair for the future generations I really do. Thank god I only have about 40 years left of this life sentence.......

Mandalorian Candidat
04-21-2002, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Of all the things it could be doing, like finding a cure for cancer or ending world poverty or working out how to get the toothpaste back in the tube once you've squeezed it all out accidentaly

or figuring out how to beat the bank at Vegas...