PDA

View Full Version : Still Collecting Hasbro toys?

SirSteve
09-04-2001, 01:44 PM
Let's talk about the above poll!

master jedi
09-04-2001, 02:35 PM
It would take a lot to make me stop collecting Hasbro toys.

JEDIpartner
09-04-2001, 03:33 PM
I would only stop collecting if the scuplts and overall material quality slipped. It's nice to see Hasbro kinda taking clue from the fans as to what they would like to see while keeping the overall marketability of their products in mind.

I can't wait to see what is in store in the coming year. All indications show the releases to be quite promising.

Kudos to all involved!!

Starfig873
09-04-2001, 04:00 PM
I agree with Master Jedi. The Episode 1 glut really sucked and all but it really didin't make me want to stop collecting. Plus had I quite collecting Hasbro, I wouldn't have been able to experience the new figures coming out! :)

Bel-Cam Jos
09-04-2001, 06:29 PM
I wonder what EpisodeIsucks' opinion on this is? ;) I have cut back on my toy collecting since TPM, but Hasbro still gets some of my dough these days.

JediNet
09-04-2001, 09:18 PM
I stopped when the influx started. After finishing up the original Episode I wave I kindly found better ways to spend cash.

For me the magic was between 95 and the release of the original Episode I figures, but since Hasbro flooded the market with kazillions of Episode I figures, and various variants I became disgusted.

I do like the new figures however, and continue to buy the ones that really interest me. I'm just praying that we don't have clones of Attack of the Clones figures showing up until 2005.

Jar Jar
www.jedinet.com

bigbarada
09-04-2001, 11:51 PM
It would take either a nuclear apocalypse or a full frontal lobotomy to get me to stop collecting SW figures. No matter how many figures I own I'm never satisfied, I'm always thinking "okay, what's next?"

Obi-Dan Kenobi
09-04-2001, 11:58 PM
I had toyed with the idea of only continuing to collect original trilogy figures once EP I came out, but I never considered stopping altogether. And once I heard about the May 3rd sale, I couldn't stay away. Though the unneccessary rescuplts and just bad ideas (Deluxe Figures, Commtech chips, Hungry Hero Jar-Jar, price hike...) of the Ep I line annoyed me, the quality of the toys has just gotten better. It would take a lot to stop the momentum now.

GNT
09-05-2001, 12:03 AM
I'm still collecting Hasbros Star Wars toys but not as much as I did before due to a high price tag :(

Neo Solo
09-05-2001, 12:15 AM
No way I'm stopping! Since '95 I've got 2 of each figure and most vehicles. With Ep2 coming up and the vast improvement in character selection and sculpts, it's gonna get really good!!

My only question in all of this: what happens after Ep3? How many waves will there be after they release Ep3? Then what. I'm hoping for Eps 7,8 &9.

stillakid
09-05-2001, 12:07 PM
No matter how bad the story might be, the production design on Star Wars has always been better than anything else out there. Thankfully that has translated to the toys since 1977. I'll keep adding to my collection for as long as they make them, as long as I have room for them, and as long as the money holds out.

AmanaMatt
09-05-2001, 01:00 PM
I have to say, that as a whole, Episode I figs excite me less than classic trilogy figures - but, there are exceptions: I love any Amidala figs, the new Shmi is great, I like B. Droids and of course, any of the Jedi Council Members!

I also love all things alien, but most of the pod racers look really...lame! I would take that weirdo merchant that Jar Jar stole a fish-thing from (Garga?) as a Hasbro figure.

Boba Fitt
09-05-2001, 02:05 PM
Between the expense of the POTJ and the basic fact that Hasbro does not make toy action figures any more, only expensive collectable items, I've stopped collecting anything after Ep1. Thier distribution and marketing sucks... Too many versions of the characters. (When exactly did we see Darth Maul in training?) Just another way to suck us collectors in to spendi... no, wasting our money on badly concieved figures.

Sure I sound bitter... and why shouldn't I? Even if I wanted to collect POTJ it takes forever to get them in the stores here and when the wave finally comes (usually 2 or 3 waves behind everyone else) all the good ones are sold because there is only 1 or 2 per box.

If Hasbro wants to make the money and keep people happy, IMPROVE THE DISTRIBUTION!!! Make it so everyone can get all the figures, not having to spend a mint to get it from a scalper or on eBay.

And if EP2 stuff is like POTJ, well to hell with Hasbro. Overpriced, over-rated and hard as hell to get. 'Nuff said.

Now. How many of you have 1 or 2 extras of a Motti or Piett?
None? Then my point has been made.
:mad:

stillakid
09-05-2001, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Boba Fitt
Between the expense of the POTJ and the basic fact that Hasbro does not make toy action figures any more, only expensive collectable items, I've stopped collecting anything after Ep1. Thier distribution and marketing sucks... Too many versions of the characters. (When exactly did we see Darth Maul in training?) Just another way to suck us collectors in to spendi... no, wasting our money on badly concieved figures.

Sure I sound bitter... and why shouldn't I? Even if I wanted to collect POTJ it takes forever to get them in the stores here and when the wave finally comes (usually 2 or 3 waves behind everyone else) all the good ones are sold because there is only 1 or 2 per box.

If Hasbro wants to make the money and keep people happy, IMPROVE THE DISTRIBUTION!!! Make it so everyone can get all the figures, not having to spend a mint to get it from a scalper or on eBay.

And if EP2 stuff is like POTJ, well to hell with Hasbro. Overpriced, over-rated and hard as hell to get. 'Nuff said.

Now. How many of you have 1 or 2 extras of a Motti or Piett?
None? Then my point has been made.
:mad:

(stillakid pokes his head through the door...)

Umm, actually I have an extra Piett

(he gingerly pulls back, closing the door behind him)

Boba Fitt
09-05-2001, 03:10 PM
> (stillakid pokes his head through the door...)
>
> Umm, actually I have an extra Piett
>
> (he gingerly pulls back, closing the door behind him)

One person having 1 extra Piett... I'll stick by my case :)
(what would you trade for it? hehehehe...)

stillakid
09-05-2001, 03:21 PM
Piett was a member of "Stillakid's List" and was subsequently liberated from his confining plastic restraint. He now lives a peaceful co-existence with his twin brother in the good ol US of A.

Darth Cruel
09-05-2001, 10:00 PM
I still like the Hasbro action figures. I may very well NEVER be ablet to stop collecting.

Darth T-rex
09-05-2001, 11:36 PM
Trying to collect but getting hard to find out there!

Mandalorian Candidat
09-06-2001, 09:27 AM
Even though Hasbro still has much to improve on in the way of how they market, distribute, etc., these figures I still enjoy collecting them. I've changed my attitude though, since the advent of POTJ. I now am no longer a completionist thanks to such POCs as Chocobi-wan and Daffy Duck Maul. However, if Hasbro puts out a good figure I'm there.

darthzirock
09-06-2001, 02:31 PM
Since I started collected STAR WARS figures with the Kenner Early Bird Special, I guess I'll never give it up completely. However, I'm getting very frustrated with not being able to find anything new in stores. Call me a decrepit old fossil ... and I'll KILL YOU! No, wait, seriously, I might be a tad old fashioned, but I still like hunting for figures in stores. This buying cases off the Internet might be the easiest way to collect these days, but where's the FUN in it? However, since it's getting nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find the figures in stores, it might be the only option for many.

What really incenses me, though, is that retailers like TRU and Wal-Mart are cutting down on the amount of STAR WARS poroduct they carry, then stock up on SHREK and PLANET OF THE APES and JURASSIC PARK III, and the stuff just SITS THERE, collecting dust! Meanwhile, the same POTJ Tusken Raider Sniper hangs in the peg since last year, but they won't order new assoprtments because "we still have old stock on the shelves."

kal-el
09-08-2001, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by master jedi
It would take a lot to make me stop collecting Hasbro toys. Only if they release another Tatooine Luke.

stillakid
09-08-2001, 10:34 PM
I'm still waiting for the POTJ Midichlorians. I wonder if I can use the RealStands to display them?

MEGA_T
09-09-2001, 06:36 AM
The only thing thats gonna stop me collecting is being hit over the head by a Bantha.
It is getting harder and harder to get stuff in Australasia though Hasbro New Zealand are pretty far behind compared to what's available in the USA, but hey I grab anything I can lay my hands on.

Lobito
09-11-2001, 06:12 PM
Unless they stop production of 3 3/4" i wont stop collecting.

GNT
09-12-2001, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by kal-el
Only if they release another Tatooine Luke.

What about the 25th Anniversary Tatooine Luke ?

RedSectorAgent
09-13-2001, 09:22 PM
I stopped collecting Star Wars figures after finally succumbing to my disgust of the rampant scalper menace out here in Southern California. :mad:

RSA

master jedi
09-14-2001, 09:39 PM
Scalping sucks around here in Iowa too, RSA.

brentfett
09-17-2001, 12:45 AM
I love Star Wars and I love collecting Hasbro's figures. HOWEVER, I do have a few gripes. The POTJ line of figures are so difficult to find it is rather annoying. I think Hasbro needs to keep stores interested in their figures even though another movie may be a ways off. Another extremely annoying thing is the re-sculpts of the same characters over and over and over and over. I know I'm risking crucifixion here, but some of these figures put out with just the tiniest bit of difference are shameless. A price cut on figures in general may be in order also. Compare a Star Wars figure to a McFarlane figure that costs a buck more. Big difference. Anyway, like I said I'll always be a fan, and despite some venting here, do not see quitting collecting Hasbro's figures any time soon.

Sith Apprentice
09-17-2001, 01:08 PM
I have now pretty much given up collecting current Hasbro stuff, only because it is now near impossible to actually go to a shop in England and buy something off the peg. Despite being promised by Habro that POTJ would be released in the UK, this doesn't seem to have come about. What you lot from the US see as pegwarmers, I would love to see in TRU over here. The only way to get things is to buy online or go to a dealer, both proving to be expensive. Any new POTJ figure goes for about 8 which I think is about $12? At those prices, you can't try to keep up with a complete collection. I now only rarely buy something if it completely blows me away i.e POTJ Sandtrooper. I have given up collecting anything released for EP1 or after as a bad job and am now going back to try to complete my tri-logo collection with missing THX figures and SS/LT figs. Damn those European Long Photo cards that never came out in Britain! Over 100 for the Ewoks carded. Suppose I'll have to sell my ICONS luke lightsabre to fund the collection completion. Oh well. The circle is now complete and I have finished moaning. Thank you for your patience.

ThomasLane
01-07-2002, 02:38 PM
I've become pretty selective about what I collect now. If it's a figure I really like (and I can find it at retail), I'll buy it. If not, no big loss. I figure, rather than fill those "holes" in my collection, I'm better off filling the holes in my bank account.

Wolfwood319
01-07-2002, 02:56 PM
As long as they come out with stuff based on the OT, I'll still collect it. I don't buy everything that comes out like the good 'ole POTF2 days, and I own all of 3 E1 figures. I don't really buy the prequel figures, but as long as they still come out with OT stuff, I'm happy.

I'll admit I don't plan on buying much of AOTC stuff, a Jango, the new Slave 1, that's about all I want.