PDA

View Full Version : Favorite OT moment?

SaeseeTiin
04-21-2002, 02:41 AM
This has probably been asked before, but oh well...
What moment in the whole of the OT (and Episode 1 if you want) is the moment that makes you really know you like Star Wars. The moment that makes you excited, that makes your heart leap (ok, getting carried away now...)
But what is it?
Mine has to be the battle over the Sarlacc Pitt, I love everything about it I have to admit.
What about everyone else?

STiin

kadamontaga
04-21-2002, 04:01 AM
My all time favourite is the scene where luke first meets Yoda in ESB, and Yoda steals some of his food and kit and has a fight with R2.

My second favourite is the whole Besbin duel bit, particularly the dialogue.

SaeseeTiin
04-21-2002, 05:44 AM
Of course that Yoda and R2D2 bit is one of the best and funniest bits also. So that's my fav bits in ESB and RotJ, what about ANH and TPM?
It has to be when Luke is watching the setting suns on Tatooine with the Skywalker theme playing in the background. And for TPM, the quote 'We will never do anything without the permission of the Senate.' I love how that bit is said, particually when you know it is a complete bluff.

STiin

kadamontaga
04-21-2002, 06:12 AM
I haven't decided yet about ANH, but i've got an idea:

Vader is on the Death Star and he says something like: "I sense a presence, a prescence I have not felt since" and then turns round and storms off. It just always cracks me up, i'm not sure why.
I like the sequence near the start where C-3 and R2 are walking across the desert too.

As for TPM, this has been my favourite bit since I saw it, and hasn't changed once:

Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Amidala and the rest of them are all in the hangar in Theed, and they are walking towards a huge door. And then it opens, and Darth Maul is stood there, and then they shed their robes and turn on their lightsabres. Love it.

Still haven't decided about ROTJ. I might watch it later.

Pendo
04-21-2002, 08:23 AM
My fave moment is the Greedo shoots first scene...:D Only kiddin!!

Mine will have to be Luke's "I'll never turn to the Dark Side" speech at the end of ROTJ. When the whole Saga is complete you will be seeing Luke taking the same steps as Anakin did, and you would be expecting him to turn at any moment. Luke is probably also unsure of which way to turn, and then it click in his head. He will not take the same path as his father. He would rather die. He stands up to the Emperor and tells him that he has failed. I think that is the most powerful part of the Saga and it is by far my favourite bit.

PENDO!

187-Maul
04-21-2002, 08:29 AM
yeah that moment in TPM in the hangar is great but I also like the fight on bespin with all that dialogue
in the past the whole ROTJ movie gave me my SW feeling
oh and the scene with the sandtroopers in the desrt and the one saying : "look sir, droids"

Eternal Padawan
04-21-2002, 08:42 AM
I like the melancholy scene where Luke is staring out at the Twin sunsets, too.

I also like the scene where Han, Luke, and Ben meet for the first time. "This could be the start of a beautiful friendship..." Look at how much trouble those two end up getting into over the next few films...

BoShek
04-24-2002, 10:49 AM
I love the scene in ANH where Ben lowers his hood for the first time so you can see his face.

Also when Wedge first appears in ESB! He made it!

Wookiee
04-25-2002, 07:57 AM
I have many, of course but here's one from each film:
ANH: when Luke just found out that his aunt and uncle were killed and he comes back to Obi-wan and says "I want to go with you to Alderan, I want to be a Jedi."
ESB: Yoda lifting the X-wing out of the swamp. -this is also one of my favorite clips in the score.
ROTJ: Han is recently unfrozen, and finds Chewy in Jaba's dungeon, and Chewy is trying to bring Han up to speed on what's happened since he was frozen. "Jedi? Lukes a Jedi now?"

Darkross
04-25-2002, 10:38 AM
My favorite scenes:

TPM: Definitely when Maul, Qui-Gon, and Obi-Wan are dueling in the Theed hangar and Maul kicks Qui-Gon out of the way...does a butterfly kick, twirls his light-staff and then uses the force to smash that little ball to open the door to the reactor core...all the while still fighting two Jedi with alot of style.

ANH: Han Solo running after the stormtroopers and then suddenly stopping and turning around and running away from them...as he shots his blaster back at them.

ESB: All scenes with Darth Vader - especially when the Empire storms the rebel base and Vader is the third guy entering the base menacingly looking for Luke!

ROTJ: When Luke deflects all the laser bolts at the Sarlaac Pit, but especially when he deflects the laser bolts from the speederbike and cuts the stearing veins off.

stillakid
04-25-2002, 11:08 AM
Any time I hear the 20th Century Fox theme (even if it isn't with a Star Wars film).

Darth Ovori
04-25-2002, 11:35 AM
Mine has to be in ESB, when Vader gives Luke the speech about joining him, then he reveals that he is Luke's father... That scene is power...

Probably my second favorite is TPM, When Maul drops his robes, lights his lightsaber and prepares to fight Obi-wan and the Qui-Gon...

kadamontaga
04-27-2002, 04:51 PM
I've figured out my favourite part of ROTJ (my thoughts on ANH and ESB are above).

It is absolutely definetely the bit where luke and vader have the massive duel at the end, up to the bit where vader loses his hand. Its fantastic, i love the music, and i love the tension i feel watching it - vader is my joint favourite character (yoda), and its horrible watching him fight when you know he won't win. I don't want the emporer to win, but I don't want vader to die, so its a really good viewing expierience.
IMO this duel is far better than the one at the end of TPM, but is not as good as the bespin sequence in episode 5.

Sith Lord 0498
04-27-2002, 06:01 PM
Warning: Episode II spoilers contained herein.

Episode I: The Phantom Menace

The scene right after Shmi tells Anakin "Don't look back." Everything in this scene works perfectly, and it's the first pivotal moment in the Saga. If Anakin had stayed, then Shmi might not have died, Anakin never would've become Darth Vader, Luke & Leia would never be born, etc. Plus, it has the most dramatic rendition of the Force theme (aside from ANH's binary sunset and ROTJ's funeral scene)

Episode IV: A New Hope

Since this really isn't my favorite out of the batch, I really don't have a favorite scene. But the opening scene is still very dramatic and powerful because it's the first shot of the entire Saga (in production order of the films). Plus, it shows us just what we're in for with the series.

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

E2 Spoiler: Highlight to read!!
Naturally, my favorite scene is the Bespin lightsaber duel. It shows just how weak Luke still is in the ways of the Force. It shows the depth of Darth Vader's evil when he maims his son just as Darth Tyranus maimed him (except Luke only loses a hand). And Vader's revelation is still a very powerful scene. Even if the surprise element is gone, the scene still works. The boldness and darkness of the Imperial March resonates as much as the words do. Mark Hamill's performance is amazing as you can feel Luke's anguish, knowing deep down that his father is Darth Vader.

Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

The second-to-final shot of the entire Saga probably stands out as the best (although two other scenes come very close). Seeing Anakin Skywalker's spirit materialize next to Yoda and Obi-Wan is striking and poignant enough, but the warm, fatherly smile on Anakin's face is heartbreaking and uplifting at the same time. In that instant, you can almost see in there the little boy that Anakin once was.

The remaining two scenes are when Anakin Skywalker finally triumphs over both Emperor Palpatine and his own dark persona of Darth Vader. Luke's anguish and life-threatening situation brings out the fatherly love and good within Vader, and Anakin finally finds redemption by hurling Palpatine to his death. Second, the funeral pyre of Darth Vader is a very powerful moment because it represents the final destruction of Anakin's darkness. Also, John Williams' powerful rendition of the Force theme grabs you emotionally and moves you close to tears.

187-Maul
04-27-2002, 07:10 PM
hello sith lord! this is a spoiler free zone !
could you PLEASE don't refer everything to E2 like shmi dies, luke ONLY losing his hand unlike anakin...
now I know much more about the movie
thanx :mad: !!!

I guess it wasn't on purpose so don't see this as some offend, I'm just mad...

Darkross
04-29-2002, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by 187-Maul
hello sith lord! this is a spoiler free zone !
could you PLEASE don't refer everything to E2 like shmi dies, luke ONLY losing his hand unlike anakin...
now I know much more about the movie
thanx :mad: !!!

I guess it wasn't on purpose so don't see this as some offend, I'm just mad...

Same goes for me! I didn't need to know that about Darth Tyrannus... I've only been trying for like a year now to avoid all spoilers and accidently reading your post really ticked me off!

Thanks alot!

Pendo
04-29-2002, 11:51 AM
I'm not spoiler free but I agree, spoilers should be left for the spoilers section, but I'm sure Sith Lord didn't mean it, it was probably just an accident. I think he's learnt his lesson!!! :D

PENDO!

BanthaPoodoo
04-29-2002, 12:49 PM
Not to mention he said in the first line of his post:

Warning: Episode II spoilers contained herein.

Pendo
04-29-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by BanthaPoodoo
Not to mention he said in the first line of his post:

That was actually added by El Chuxter...but anyway...,

Another of my fave OT moments is the "Luke I am your father" scene. It is VERY powerful. I just hope it isnt spoiled in Episode II or III by revealing that Vader is Anakin, or someone turns out to be Anakin's father.

PENDO!