PDA

View Full Version : Free books at Celebration 2!!!

Taichi
04-21-2002, 12:03 PM
Kinda makes me wish I could go....

they're gonna have an entire hall dedicated to foreign books, tables stacked FULL.....

the best part?, they're ALL free!!!!!

you just get a bag, and 'shop' until the bag is full.......and then you get to keep every one of them for FREE!!!

man, I'd walk out of there with the most overstuffed bag anybody's ever seen.......the only thing that would hold the bag together would be a prayer, and the hope that the plastic molecules of the bag could remain strong enough to get me out of the hall.......

man......it'd almost be worth the price to get through the doors....

2-1B
08-02-2002, 01:30 AM
Judging by the -zero- replies to this thread, I'm guessing you were joking. :D

Did they really do this? I never heard about it in ANY of the reviews I read. :rolleyes:

icatch9
08-02-2002, 08:03 AM
Yes they really did this and it was a joke. It was a mad house in this area. Worse than the line for the Jorg. My dad stood in line for a long time Saturday and didn't even get a single book. They were gone in like 5 minutes. They just gave you a bag and let you fill it up. I think two things happened. They didn't have as many books as they thought and some people abused it and just took scores of books they couldn't even read.

It wasn't an intire hall either. It was in with the exhibitors and the celeberties. So, just getting in that place was crazy. You had a long@ss line for the books and a long@ss line to get an autograph. It just wasn't set up to well. To many people and not enough room. They didn't utilize the place very well. Keep it to small when they could and should of used every room there.

Oh well, live and learn. Can't wait til CIII :D

OC47150
08-05-2002, 04:15 PM
My friend and I did the book giveaway right after the C2 store Friday morning. The line wasn't too bad. I picked up several hardbacks, Rogue Squadron paperbacks, foreign comic books, etc... The majority of the books were foreign but most of those that I picked up were in English. Some of the foreign books I got were as a novelty, such as a German copy of PM novelization.

I didn't know the giveaway occurred on Saturday, too; when I walked by mid-morning Saturday, to do the autograph pull, the area where the books were was empty.

OC47150
08-05-2002, 04:18 PM
icatch9,

Here's a lesson, my young padawan learner, that my friend and I learned from C1: If you can manage to go all three days, do (and buy!!!) as much as you can on the first day. The crowds aren't nearly as bad on the first day. So if you have to stand in line for two hours for a speaker it's not so bad.

I'd also read about the book sale in advance off the Internet so that helped, too.

Eternal Padawan
08-06-2002, 10:34 AM
The whole celebration was sorely mismanaged.

ROLLO!

OC47150
08-06-2002, 10:47 AM
I thought it was better organized and operated than the Denver show. The fan club organized C1. They thought they knew how to run a con and it was evident they didn't. Wizards has the expertise and experience to run a big show.

However, as was the case for C1, I think convention organizers underestimated the crowds and potential interest.

icatch9
08-06-2002, 01:36 PM
OC47150,

Thanks for the undo lesson. I knew lines would be longer on Sat than on Fri, so that wasn't a big shock. That's why I got in line first thin on Fri for a Jorg, because that's what I really wanted. Anything else was just gravy. I don't think I needed a lesson, I'm not some 12 year old novice to such things. True, this may have been the biggest, but that's probally true for a lot of peple. My whole point was how badly it was organized. I mean you had 10,000 people staning in line to get Carrie Fishers auto and 10,000 people standing in line to get a Jorg and then there was the 20,000 people who where standing in line and they didn't even know what for.

This may have been better organized than C1, but that's not saying much. That's like saying a Tornado is better than an Earthquake. Niether was organized very well. The convention center was not utilized very well and directional indicators where not even present. I didn't even know where the museum of props was at until Sunday.

Anyway, what ever will be will be. That's in the past and if there is a CIII I hope they organize it better and plan for 70,000 fans :crazed:

OC47150
08-06-2002, 02:16 PM
Didn't mean to insult your intelligence there, icatch9.

I was fortunate at C2: A good friend of mine secured exhibitor passes for himself and family. He let my friend and I borrow for a few hours Friday, and we got into the main exhibit hall a half-hour early and into the store without any problems. So while everyone was standing in line for hours for Jorg, we were already at the book giveaway.

Kinda off the topic but I'd like to hear THE true attendance figure for the three days. The latest Insider says 27,000 people attended but I've heard and read upward of 75,000 - 100,000 people. (I think the Indy papers said 75,000.)

In preparing for C3, I think organizers should plan for 75,000 - 100,000 and then add another 25,000 on top of that!

icatch9
08-07-2002, 09:07 AM
No big deal OC47150. It's cool you got in early. I don't like underhanded stuff, oh who am I kidding I'd of done the same thing :pirate:. Did you notice any dealer or anyone trying to buy tons of Jorg Saculs when you where there earlier :evil:.

Yea, I'd agree that somewhere around 75,000 people would be a lot closer than 27,000. I don't think they planned for 75,000 people. You are right, they should plan for 200,000 people. What's the problem if they over plan. I think they should of had the people line up for Carrie Fisher on the football field. I also think they could of sold out ever seat in the stadium if they would of had the concert there. There is room for around 75,000 people in the stadium, and I think that may have been enough room :eek:

OC47150
08-07-2002, 09:29 AM
Organizers should've used the Dome for the opening ceremony program (and the concert) to accommodate everyone. I've been to C1 and C2 and still haven't made it to the opening ceremony but that's by choice. We've headed to the store first both times.

Again, I was fortunate to get Carrie Fisher's autograph last fall. She came to Louisville for a conference and a friend took my slave Leia figure to get autographed.

Yes, the dealers were offering the buy the figures early Friday. When my friends and I were in the store area, it was mostly vendors, not fans, buying merchandise which surprised us. They said stop by their booths. They were offering $25 but on their websites they're selling them for $85.

I didn't sell any of mine to vendors.

icatch9
08-07-2002, 11:49 AM
Yea I figured as much (no pun intended). The celebration was there to celebrate all that is Star Wars. I felt the whole time that the venders where there to celebrate the all mighty dollar. It doesn't surprise me that they'd be greedy and try and get more, so they can goudge collectors later. Oh well, such is life in the Star Wars collectable world :(.

OC47150
08-07-2002, 12:03 PM
Whenever I got to a con, flea market, or other places, I'm armed with a list of what I want. I don't go to just buy.

I finally scored a DS trooper at C2, and it only cost me $12. Got a couple of Imperial officers for $8 each. Missed out of a complete set of AOTC trading cards for $20, but oh well. Didn't see a R2B1, Sio Bibble or TC-14 reasonably priced so I passed. (Still have my fingers crossed they'll show up at TRU or KB for $3! Wishful thinking, I know.)

One of those vendors is going to attend the Labor Day flea market in Louisville. I bought from him at the New Year's show, and his prices were reasonable. He had too much of a crowd around him at C2 for me to really look.

icatch9
08-07-2002, 02:51 PM
I'm the same way. I never buy anything that I think is overpriced. I needed a Mellinum Falcon MIB for the longest time. I could of had loads of them for $50 wich isn't a bad price, but I knew I could do better. I waited and finally got it for $25 at a flea market. So, my patience saved me $25 wich helped me buy Darth Vaders TIE.

Still I saved and saved for a long time so I'd have a lot of money to spend at CII. I did have a lot and that money was just burning a hole in my pocket. Impulse lead me to buy a couple of things I wish I hadn't of. Only one thing really (a vintage amanama for $50, not bad, but it was C 8.5 with no staff and no coin. I got a mint complete with staff and coin on ebay a couple of weeks ago for $60). After the venders started raising thier prices on Sat :greedy: I turned a frugle cheek to them and didn't buy anything the rest of the weekend :frus:. So, I had a lot of spending cash for ebay and another flea market I'd be attending soon.

This Louisville Flea Market you speak of, is it a big one? Is it all kinds of stuff, or just toys and what not? I don't live close, but a 3 day weekend gives me an oppertunity to take a road trip :D.

OC47150
08-07-2002, 03:08 PM
The flea market will have like 2,000 booths, and a little bit of everything. Toys are scattered throughout. There are always at least a dozen vendors selling toys that I can think of off the top of my head.

There's a flea market each month with about 1,000 booths but Labor Day and New Years are the big ones. Those are the two I try to go to.

icatch9
08-07-2002, 03:15 PM
Hmmmm...... Food for thought. It sounds tempting. Could you give me a town and maybe a location so I can get directions of the internet. 2,000 dealers are a lot :D. Thanks for the help :)

OC47150
08-07-2002, 03:21 PM
Louisville is the place. Just down I-65 South. The Kentucky State Fairgrounds is the location. It's right off I-65. Can't miss it.

icatch9
08-08-2002, 08:40 AM
Great! Thanks for the directions. Don't know if I'll go, but it's still a tempting idea :D.

OC47150
08-08-2002, 08:46 AM
Stewart Promotions sponsors the flea market. Here is their web address:

www.stewartpromotions.com

I normally find one or two good things at the NY and Labor Day shows.