PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Layne Staley

Thrawn
04-21-2002, 12:15 PM
Another one of my all-time favorite bands is no more....

Last year it was Joey Ramone, now Alice in Chains are gone. At least both had stopped making music, but there was always hope of something new.

"Then you got hit / And you shoulda known better / Faster we run
And we die young."

To Layne:

"I live tomorrow / You I'll not follow / As you wallow / In a sea of sorrow."

derek
04-21-2002, 02:35 PM

2-1B
04-21-2002, 03:07 PM
derek, you're very sympathetic :eek:

Thrawn, I was reading about Staley last night, and I found it heartbreaking that he said when he first started using drugs he loved it but he later hated it because of what he was doing to him. Well, his words were more poignant than what I just typed, but the basic idea is there. :cry:

derek
04-21-2002, 04:46 PM
caeser,

i loved their music, but i do feel it was such a waste of talent on stanley's part. i'm sad he's gone, but i can't feel sorry for him. he did this to himself.

this guy literally wasted his life.:cry:

i'm still ****ed at kurt kobain. i would of loved to have heard what he would of been doing musically the last 10 years.

2-1B
04-21-2002, 04:53 PM
Have they announced what he died from? Inital reports did not address the issue. I've read that he was actually doing a lot of artwork under a pseudonym, but I can't be certain of that. :(

BoShek
04-21-2002, 05:29 PM
I am sad for sure.

Thrawn
04-21-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
Have they announced what he died from? Inital reports did not address the issue. I've read that he was actually doing a lot of artwork under a pseudonym, but I can't be certain of that. :(

They said either natural causes or OD. I know he was depressed because his girlfriend OD a while back...so I really hope he didn't go down that path. Sad to think he was dead for so long he was decayed and unidentifyable. Maybe he slipped in the shower for all we know.

I heard he was doing another Mad Season project...hopefully.

dr_evazan22
04-21-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by derek

i'm still ****ed at kurt kobain. i would of loved to have heard what he would of been doing musically the last 10 years.

I heard this in passing today from the radio. The DJ didn't really give too much info. When did this happen? Besides Alice In Chains, I liked some of the he did w/ some PJ people, Mad Season, "River of Deceit" especially.

Derek, I too would've loved to've heard what Kurt would ahve been doing. My fav Nirvana CD is Unplugged. They sounded great on that, and I liked the way that Kurt didn't sound so angry (although one of my fav Nirvana tracks is the intro on The Muddy Banks of The Wishkah, I think its hilarious!). It's always a tragedy when a life is cut short by unnatural means, but w/ Kurt I know there was so much more that he could have grown musically.

Man In The Box
04-22-2002, 03:21 PM
I love Alice In Chains, as you can tell by my name and quotes. Their my fave band. So sad this had to happen though, well no more AIC for sure this time. Every time I watch AIC unplugged on DVD I HAVE to go upstairs and play guitar.

Mad Season has to be one of the great all time albums..well at least of the 90's. It just completly blows my freakin mind.

Well at least the guitarist Jerry Cantrell is still around and active(new solo album out this summer) and also so is Soundgardens Chris Cornell(my fave singer). I say the both of them do a project together, that would so kick.

Emperor Howdy
04-23-2002, 02:39 AM
I'm sure it was heroin. Whether he died by an overdose or not, he's definately another casualty of herion addiction regardless. "Dirt" is a freakin' classic album, and loaded with references to the misery of addiction. It really sucked getting that news....the guy was very talented.