PDA

View Full Version : Last Movie 'Did Not Live Up to Expectations;' Director Lucas 'is Now Much Smarter Abo

stillakid
04-21-2002, 04:29 PM
RE:

http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=17&show_article=578

Not to gloat, but I'm feeling vindicated, particularly about why Jonathan Hales was added to the team.

2-1B
04-21-2002, 04:44 PM
Nice contribution stillakid, I read it earlier. :) However, the author sees the inclusion of Hales as a humble concession, when the plan for rewrites on II and II was allegedly there for years before TPM was released and lambasted.

stillakid
04-21-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
Nice contribution stillakid, I read it earlier. :) However, the author sees the inclusion of Hales as a humble concession, when the plan for rewrites on II and II was allegedly there for years before TPM was released and lambasted.

I'm not clear on the "rewrite" plan from years before. Someone mentioned that before, but couldn't bring up the source. Any info on it? There are always rewrites in the filmmaking process, so I don't understand why this would have been any different.

bigbarada
04-21-2002, 06:16 PM
Interesting article and I see where everyone is coming from when they say that the film didn't live up to expectations. I still believe a majority of those expectations were too high and the Ep1 marketing blitz did more harm than good. Glad to hear Lucas is scaling back on so much merchandise.

When all is said and done and everyone seems to be rallied against Ep1, I can still say that I really like the movie and I still enjoy watching it. Even if GL himself were to come out and publicly apologize for Ep1 (which he won't, but stay with me here), then I would still like the movie.

Basically, you can do one of two things: you see the flaws and focus on them solely, giving yourself a very negative opinion of the film; or you can see the flaws, but focus on the stuff you do like and allow yourself to just enjoy the movie. I prefer the latter, life is stressful enough without creating more for yourself.

Beast
04-21-2002, 06:30 PM
Well said, BigB. I also like Episode 1, and I thought it fit in perfectly with the entire saga as a whole. I did what it was set out to do, set up the storyline, and introduce the charecters. As well as explain what the galaxy is like at that time. There was no way that E1 would have lived up to the insanely high expectations that most fans had. And plastering the movie on everything was a big mistake, I agree.

Sure there were some flaws, like BigB said. But there were plenty of flaws in the OT that most fans overlook. Where in the case of E1, alot of the loyal OT fans nitpick every flaw of E1 to show how they think it sucks. I prefer to enjoy each movie for what it is, a fine part of the entire Star Wars Saga. And as I always say about E1, to quote Kenobi from ANH: "It was before the dark times, before the Empire."

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rogue II
04-21-2002, 08:16 PM
Thanks for that article Stillakid. I've been worried about how AOTC was going to turn out. It described my feelings of TPM exactly.

I think the main difference between the OT and TPM is that most of us are a lot older than we were the first time we saw ANH, etc. I'm sure I would have enjoyed TPM much more if I was under the age of 10 like I was when ANH and ESB came out. Of course, I will always see TPM as being much more "disneyfied" than the rest (not counting those lousy ewoks, yubyub!).

stillakid
04-21-2002, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
There was no way that E1 would have lived up to the insanely high expectations that most fans had.

Yeah, there was. That may be the source of many of the disagreements here at SSG. Many of us know that Lucas is capable of much more than he delivered with TPM and some of you underestimate him. As I've said many times before, TPM was very close to being a well made movie, but for some reason or another, he decided that he didn't need any outside input on the script. Fan expectations have nothing whatsoever to do with how good the movie turned out to be. Choosing to like a bad film doesn't make it a good film by default.

That and plastering JJB all over the planet didn't help either. In saying that, I'm not saying that I'm for or against the character (for the record, I'm rather indifferent), but it clearly was an unpopular character, so to use it to help market the film was not a wise choice.

Based upon the trailers and the scuttlebutt around town, it does appear that GL is playing up the strengths of the saga for EP II, which gives me hope as the date approaches.

2-1B
04-21-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
I'm not clear on the "rewrite" plan from years before. Someone mentioned that before, but couldn't bring up the source. Any info on it? There are always rewrites in the filmmaking process, so I don't understand why this would have been any different.

That was me who brought it up, and I did later post the source. It's from the Insider number 32, page 8. Ricky McC explains that they will bring in writers to polish George's drafts of the second and third films.

Which makes no sense to me, because if the second and third films could stand for a nice scrubbing, wouldn't the first one as well?

My only speculation is this: In the same interview Rick affirms that George W would indeed direct the first movie (and not possibly the next two) to set the tone, style and look. Perhaps the same thinking was applied to the writing process, but I just don't see how the two compare. :)