PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Lone Gun Men

Lord Malakite
04-21-2002, 09:05 PM
If you missed tonight's episode of X-Files, the Lone Gun Men gave their lives to stop a genetically altered virus. They will be missed.

derek
04-21-2002, 09:30 PM
having these guys die was just plain stupid. i guess it was chris carter's symbolic way of saying fox killed them last year by not supporting their show.

the dumb thing about this is there will be x-files movies. these guys could of had bit parts in those flicks. the way this episode was handled, i have almost no hope the finalie will be done well.:cry:

chewie
04-21-2002, 09:38 PM
Ow... Yeah. That does sound a bit harsh by Carter. Very symbolic as you said. Too bad he felt the need to do that to those characters.

Its hard enough to be a small role actor like those guys. Now the characters they're famous for are dead. Thats gonna be a pinch on the old pocketbook for them.

Guess its time for them to hit the fandom circuits and autograph their fingers off.

JediTricks
04-21-2002, 09:55 PM
Well, now I don't need to watch it!!! I was gonna watch it in an hour when it comes on here on the west coast, but considering how I generally hate everything about this season of the X-files, I guess you just saved me an hour of my life anyway. :D

Mandalorian Candidat
04-21-2002, 10:52 PM
Wow, what a stupid move. I guess I should have seen the writing on the wall at the beginning of the episode, what with the pseudo-tribute/obituary and them losing their shirts. Carter could have kept them on for at least the next X-Files movie, if even for a cameo like in the first.

I feel kind of gypped. With Duchovny gone the last two seasons and Gillian Anderson acting like a lame duck, the Lone Gunmen were pretty much the last shred of good characters from the better part of the series.

Oh well. Fare thee well L.G. and long live Joey Ramone!

SWAFMAN
04-22-2002, 12:23 PM
gee, I was sorta thinking their coffins would be found empty in one of the last 4 episodes, and we'd learn they are being mutated into "supersoldiers."

but that did totally suck that they were killed off.

JEDIpartner
04-22-2002, 01:15 PM
I'm gonna miss them... they ALL had to go together. It wouldn't have worked if they had killed just one of them. :cry:

THE Slayer
04-22-2002, 04:18 PM
Last night was just another nail in the coffin. (the pun was intended, just not as cheesy as it sounds.)
If this how the x-files plays out, fine. But could it suck any more?

derek
04-22-2002, 07:06 PM
i was just thinking what a baby chris carter is. not only did he give the finger to the fox network, he also gave a big F-U to all the fans of the show. he was mad at fox because they didn't support "the lone gunman" and mad at fans for not flocking to his spin off in bigger numbers. so like a spoiled kid, he took his ball and went home. big baby!

of all the adventures these guys got in, they get trapped and die in a lame air lock that just happens to be in the middle of a hallway. LAME! LAME! LAME!

the x-files is one of my favorite shows, but now i'm wishing it would of ended 2 years ago when mulder was abducted.:cry:

JediTricks
04-22-2002, 07:24 PM
Yeah, I watched this ep even though I knew how it was gonna end and I was disgusted - this whole season of the show has stunk.

smurfvader
04-25-2002, 03:47 PM
I don't remember where I read it (probably Cinescape), but they said that the next X-files movie could take place out of continuity and so the Lone Gunmen could return.

JIm

sith_killer_99
04-28-2002, 12:33 AM
WHAT, the X-files DIDN'T end 2 years ago when Fox was abducted?

JK

Yeah, it sucks that the Lone Gunmen went out like that!

THE Slayer
05-06-2002, 09:48 AM
Not really related to the lone gunmen but, What happened in last night's episode where they solved Dogget's son's murder? I tried to tape it, but the vcr has a mind much more cunning than I. So only saw the first 10 min. :(

Mandalorian Candidat
05-06-2002, 10:25 AM
I saw it and thought it was a lame ending. I'll kind of edit the episode down, so if you don't want to know the ending, don't read below.
OK, there's some new FBI cadet who's working with Scully on doing the forensic workup on a murder victim. He has this incredible gift to figure out what's going on. Using the info the cadet gives Scully, Doggett and Reyes make up the profile and share it with the cadet only to be told he's flat out wrong and that the profile is of a mobster.

They use this updated profile to track down an old mafia guy in some bar. After trying to question him, he gives the comment "You don't know what you're dealing with."

Then the suspicions go back and forth between this cadet and the mobster, because the cadet has pix of graphic murders all over his apartment wall of this and other cases.

Reyes confronts the AD played by Cary Elwes about this mobster since they both worked together at one time in the organized crime division in NY. She gets suspicious of the AD and accuses him of taking a bribe from a mobster, which she saw go down, yet can't remember if it was this particular guy. The AD says she didn't see it right and that he was paying a confidential informant. He then reveals that the cadet is wrong about the profile and that he is a schizophrenic and was in a mental institution.

They arrest the cadet, who explains that he has this gift and that the murder pix talk to him and give him details about the murder.

Anyways, Doggett ends up believing the cadet and sets off to confront the mobster. Meanwhile, the mobster meets with the AD and it's revealed that Reyes was right about the AD being on the take. The AD tells the mobster he wants out, but the mobster threatens him with videotaped evidence that he took the bribe, which Reyes witnessed.

Finally, when Doggett confronts the mobster about revealing to him the details of the crime, he says in hypothetical terms that a pedophile grabbed his son, took him back to his house and the mobster, knowing the pedophile from prison, drops in to do business. Since the little kid sees the mobster's face, he whacks him. The mobster leaves the bar and Doggett follows him with his gun drawn. When he gets outside, he hears a shot and sees the AD with a smoking gun in his hand. The mobster lays dead with a gory bullet hole in his eye.

There are a few other details, but this is the gist of the story.

smurfvader
05-06-2002, 05:05 PM
Mandalorian, thanks for posting that, I missed the first 10 minutes and wasn't paying attention to the last few. One question though, is the pedophile the guy who was a suspect and died in a car crash some years before, or was it the cadet, or didn't they make it clear? Also isn't this yet another thing that Carter didn't explain? Wasn't there an episode in which Reyes saw something (a dead body burning) and said something about seeing that when they found the body of Doggets son?
Unfortunately next weeeks doesn't seem to have anything to do with the series finale which really sucks because you know he's not going to be able to wrap everything up in a 2 hour episode.

JIm

Mandalorian Candidat
05-06-2002, 08:11 PM
I can't answer a lot of your questions since my viewing of the show has been spotty since Mulder's departure. I was slightly confused even seeing the whole show, but I believe that it was the pedophile who grabbed him and the mobster that killed him. The cadet had been studying Doggett's case for years while in the mental institution and came up with the profile while there, so I am pretty sure he had nothing to do with the crime.

I think the whole body burning thing had something to do with the embodiment of evil, so maybe that was something to do with the pedophile.

My overall impression is that this episode was thrown in solely to wrap up the Doggett story and we won't hear anymore of it in the last two shows. At the very end of this show, Doggett and the ex-wife are at the beach throwing the son's ashes into the sea, which to me shows that this storyline is finished.

JediTricks
05-06-2002, 09:26 PM
Man, that was one poor excuse for an ep - they could have cut the first 50 minutes out completely and it wouldn't have changed a thing. It's not that the first 50 minutes weren't well-done, it's just that they were fairly worthless once we got to the end - nothing really tied together for any one reason, the whole thing was just handed to us on a plate and the bulk of the ep was merely filler.

The pedophile is the one who died in the car crash, the cadet's assumed name's namesake had died 24 years earlier.

It seemed to me like Reyes had absolutely nothing to add to the series and this was just one more example of that.

smurfvader
05-13-2002, 03:39 PM
Again Mandalorian thanks for clearing that up. I made the mistake of watching last nights episode even though I knew it would suck. Just another hour wasted that could have been better spent resolving all the plotlines.

JIm

Mandalorian Candidat
05-14-2002, 10:36 AM
You're welcome SV.

Now, what about Sunday's episode with the whole Brady Bunch thing? What was that all about? I just don't get what Chris Carter's trying to do. He has a limited amount of episodes to try to bring the show back up to where it was a few years ago but is just crapping out on us.

The only thing I could get from this episode is that there is proof to validate the existence of the phenomena that the X-Files investigators are after. However trying to get said proof is futile because 1)that's just the nature of the beast, or 2)society just isn't ready for that kind of thing so its emergence won't happen yet.

I guess the whole Brady Bunch angle was put in because CC was into that when he was younger and wanted to pay his homage to the series or something. Whatever. I just hope the last show is really kick A and delves deep into the whole conspiracy/alien soldier/Scully's baby plot line.

pthfnder89
05-14-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
You're welcome SV.

Now, what about Sunday's episode with the whole Brady Bunch thing? What was that all about? I just don't get what Chris Carter's trying to do. He has a limited amount of episodes to try to bring the show back up to where it was a few years ago but is just crapping out on us.

I actually liked the last ep. It had several traces of humour that the show has been lacking recently. And it actually had a plot line that made sense (although still wierd). Some of the shows are just plain incoherent. Can ANYONE please explain the Burt Reynolds episode to me? What the heck was going on there?

I agree though that it was strange to have this Brady Bunch thing as the second to last show ever. With all the loose ends that are still out there why wait until the last show to tie them up?

One thing I really liked was how Doggett finally seemed to be thinking like an Xfiles agent, seeking out answers based on the evidence, even though the answers are strange. It's a shame that it took 2 years for him to figure it out.:(

And I know it's late for this one, but I REALLY liked how the Lone Gunmen were handled. Yes, it's sad that they won't be showing up in the future movies, but they went out well. They were perpetually put down upon throughout the show, treated as outcasts, and to let them prove that they are heroes by dying as they did really sat well with me.

RooJay
05-15-2002, 12:38 AM
I missed that episode, but I could've sworn that I read an interview somewhere within the last couple of days (a very recent interview) of someone important to the X-Files production (might've been Carter, but it could've been the producer) that the Lone Gunmen were going to be in the last episode. I'll have to track that article down. I think it was posted on Cinescape's news page...

Mike Troxell
05-15-2002, 02:41 PM
I loved the Brady Bunch episode. The only thing that could have made it better was a Brady-Bunch-style opening or closing credits...

FINALE EPISODE SPOILERS-
The Lone Gunmen will be in the finale, as well as Krycek (presumed dead), Coverubius (sp?, and CGB Spender a.k.a. The Cigarette Smoking Man...plus some more old favorites (the two agents-slash-replicants, the bounty hunter, the faceless dudes, the squirrely lookin' kid with the glasses, and Agent Spender come to mind).

derek
05-15-2002, 09:56 PM
yea, i saw krychek in one of the promo ads for sundays show. it has to be a flashback scene. the dude got shot in the head at point blank range by skinner. if he is a clone or alien-hybrid, i'm gonna be upset.:)

pthfnder89
05-16-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by derek
yea, i saw krychek in one of the promo ads for sundays show. it has to be a flashback scene. the dude got shot in the head at point blank range by skinner. if he is a clone or alien-hybrid, i'm gonna be upset.:)

Yeah, I'm betting those are mostly flashbacks too. I would be ticked if they brought back Krycheck somehow. And REALLY mad if they bring back the Lone Gunmen, after the big fuss they made about their deaths. That would take away all the significance of their sacrafice:rolleyes:

Mike Troxell
05-16-2002, 04:33 PM
I'm assuming most of the returns will be flashback style, as I hear the whole episode will be in stunning flashback form at Mulder's court thang.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-16-2002, 04:44 PM
I think Carter will have to go all balls out and bring back the OG cast, even if in flashback, to send this show out on top. I really hope he pulled out all the stops and this show really rocks. Otherwise for me this show will have ended "officially" two years ago.

derek
05-16-2002, 06:02 PM
if this is a flashback episode, they better not be using stock footage. i hate it when shows do this. it's the true sign they have nothing to say and are just trying to kill an hour or two.

SWAFMAN
05-17-2002, 12:47 PM
not exactly on-topic, but I couldn't find the other thread about FOX TV programming

next season's FOX show lineup (http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/17/business/media/17ADCO.html?ex=1022299200&en=0d2a8ce499976b42&ei=5006&partner=ALTAVISTA)

JediTricks
05-18-2002, 01:58 PM
Oh goodness gracious! "Fox will alter its lineup on every night but Saturday." oh, that's brilliant, they've got new shows building audiences and they're going to make sure these audiences won't be able to find their shows... and I didn't even know Fox had a Saturday lineup!!! Let's see what it is, according to GIST: 6pm - syndicated rerun of X-files; 7pm - 2 syndicated reruns of Drew Carey Show; 8pm - 2 half hours of Cops; 9pm - America's Most Wanted; 10pm - local news. Wow, what a winner. :crazed:

What the hell is Fox thinking? The article goes on to mention that like most recent years, Fox's fall sched has to wait 2 weeks for the World Series to wind up - yeah, that was a really smart move on Fox's part - and that the network is gonna unveil 10 new series.

Fox amazes me, they're surprised that they're losing loyal audiences left and right even though they're juggling their schedule constantly and they are known for axing new series that don't immediately take off even if they have promise. Fox doesn't show its viewers loyalty yet expects it in return? That's insanity. Dark Angel and Greg the Bunny had tapped their core audiences and were building loyalty, guess what, they're both off the fall lineup. It's easy to hate Fox, they have forgotten how they were built on the shoulders of shows like Married With Children.

SWAFMAN
05-18-2002, 03:47 PM
JT, your last paragraph is perfectly stated and deserves to be seen far beyond the boundaries of SSG. May I suggest sending it as a letter to the editor of TV Guide. Oh, never mind, that's also controlled by Murdoch! ;)

But seriously, there must be SOME media outlet who would publish your comments as an editorial.