PDA

View Full Version : What are the 5 changes you could make to the OT...

Darth Ovori
04-22-2002, 11:00 AM
Just a fun discussion thread...

So basically if technology permitted us for the Special Edition 2, or if you were in GL's place during the making of the movies, What would you have done to improve the whole OT... ???

1. The hair cuts on Luke and Han Solo!!!

2. Changed the Ewoks to Wookees... I feel it would have been better seeing a whole banch of giant Bigfoot's beating up Stormtroopers...

3. Added a couple more babes... Maybe a bad chick for the Emperor (Mara Jade... ???)...

4. Would have redone the first 25 minutes of ROTJ... Changed Jabba's apperance, hate that giant, fat, slug as a mighty gangster boss scene... And rewrote the intro to the characters in Jabba's palace... First arrive the droids, then the Bounty with Chewie and finally Luke... anymore guests... Dammit it was lame the flow of events in Jabba's palace...

5. The final duel, I would of made Vader loose his hand, but luke has given into total hate and sees himself more like his father and wants to destroy him... Vader is able to get he lightSaber back and proves why he is the most powerful Jedi... And punish's Luke with only his left hand, but as his about to destroy him he realizes how the Emperor wanted his son to become dark like him... The Emperor commands Vader to finish off Luke... Vader throws down his lightsaber and tells the Emperor that his Jedi, like his son now... basically refusing to finish his son...

The Emperor then uses his electro powers to temperory knock out Vader. The Emperor then persues to destroy Luke himself... Luke pleads for help and Vader stabs the Emperor from behind, but the Emperor is too powerful to be killed by a lightsaber, so Vaders picks him up and throws him down the powercore... Vader is about to die but is still able to drag his son to the shuttle... Vader then has his final words to an evenly injured Luke, he asks for forgivenson, and before Luke can reply you can hear the famous heavy breathing stop, indicating that Vader has passed away... (And luke doe's not remove his mask)...

Well those are the changes that I would have made ito the movies...

Anyone else... I'm curious to see other board members opinions of the changes they would of done to the OT.

Pendo
04-22-2002, 02:27 PM
If I could change the OT:

I would change it so Han fires first!!!

I would change the Jabba in ANH:SE to look more like the one in ROTJ.

I would add the Luke and Biggs scene into it.

I would redo some of the old efects with new CGI ones (not that I like CGI its just to make all the films look the same).

I would change the chimp lady emperor from ESB with Ian McDiarmid.

Make Boba Fett even cooler and give him a cool fight scene (like the Obi-Jango one in AOTC).

PENDO!

Pendo
04-22-2002, 02:28 PM
Ok that was 6 not 5, but who's counting?

PENDO!

Eternal Padawan
04-22-2002, 02:34 PM
Han shoots first.
Luke doesn't scream.
No Chimp Emperor.
Holograms in favor of Atari readouts on Yavin.
Show Alderaan surface before it goes nova.
During Falcon escape from Death Star, show more exterior footage of them whipping thru space with the TIEs on their rear end...

Darn..that was six, too. But the first two are going back to the way they were, so it counts as one ;)

Darth Ovori
04-22-2002, 02:39 PM
"Make Boba Fett even cooler and give him a cool fight scene (like the Obi-Jango one in AOTC). "

That I like, maybe a more intense fight with luke and give him a worthy death... ???

LTBasker
04-22-2002, 03:21 PM
5. Fix The Fett scenes in ROTJ so he's not reverse anymore.
4. Have the ANH:SE Jabba Scene re-shot on a green screen stage with a puppet of Jabba styled after the ROTJ Jabba puppet.
3. Fix the Rancor scenes.
2. Put Lak Sivrak back into the Cantina.
1. Delete Greedo's shooting first.

Jon
04-22-2002, 05:25 PM
1. Greedo doesn't shoot at all
2. The ANH Jabba scene cut entirely
3. Ewoks turned into Wookiees
4. Add a scene or 2 of Alderaan as the Death Star approaches or is firing
5. Reinstate Lapti Nek

Honorable Mentions:

Luke/Biggs Scene
Lak Sivrak returns to the Cantina
Cut out the Shuttle Return to the Executor in ESBSE
Show the Stormtroopers raid the Lars' Homestead

JediTricks
04-22-2002, 08:09 PM
Since this is the "original" trilogy, I'll revert all heinous SE changes back to their former glory.

That said:
- Ewoks into Wookiees
- Quicken the pace of the middle of ROTJ
- Have more focus on the Emperor/Vader/Luke scenes during the final battle
- Have Fett die a more honorable death
- Fix the lighting/matte problems in the Rancor pit

Mike Troxell
04-23-2002, 07:11 PM
-Han Shoots First. This is the only problem I had with the Special Editions.
-Rancor Fixed--Fix the washed-out, matted look on the rancor!
-Tighten up some effects shots. With the prequels and infinitely superior CGI skills under their belts, some of the bad SE CGI (and some of the untouched stuff) can be fixed and made a million times better.
-Otherwise, they're perfect! :)

DarthMaulSithLord
04-23-2002, 08:03 PM
1. Remove all SE crap, except Mos Eisley overview, Falcon take off from docking bay 94, Wampa, Alderaan, Death Star I & II explosions and touch-ups to effects.
2. Luke's haircut in ROTJ sucks!.
3. Luke in ROTJ:"He's too old" looking.
4. More space battle action!!!
5. Expand the ANH Imperial briefing scene.

:)

bigbarada
04-28-2002, 02:22 AM
I'm going to cheat and make five changes for each movie keeping storyline and actors intact.

ANH-
1. remove all SE changes except the Dewbacks and Sandcrawler
2. completely redo the Death Star battle from beginning to end
3. redo the effects shots of the Falcon/TIE dogfight when escaping the Death Star to make it more dramatic
4. redo Mos Eisley again only this time have ILM take a little pride in their work
5. in the book the Blockade Runner was described as flying like a madman, in the movie it was just cruising along in a straight line. Change the scene to more reflect the books imagery.

ESB-
1. film new footage for the Hoth Battle to make it more sweeping and dramatic. I'd like to see hundreds of Snowtroopers overrunning the base not just six.
2. Make one consistent Wampa for all scenes there is an obvious difference in just about every shot of the Wampa
3. re-insert the "You're lucky you don't taste very good" line
4. CG TaunTauns, those giant puppets look pathetic
5. take the CG Yoda model used in Ep2 and replace every shot of Yoda in the film with the CG version

ROTJ-
1. nix the new music number
2. CG Rancor
3. redo the Super Star Destroyer crashing into the Death Star scene, it's just a giant fireball! Imagine how spectacular it could look with today's technology!
4. replace that crappy matte painting of the Rebel Hangar with a sweeping CG tour of the area
5. redo the Speeder Bike chase; now that I've seen the podrace, this one is just boring

187-Maul
04-28-2002, 05:34 AM
so you're saying redo the hole movies so they fit in the modern technology, bigbarada ? no way
I like them the way they are - maybe some small changs could be done like solo shooting first and fix the rancor scene
adding some snowtroopers is a good idea though
no real top 5 list from me (I'm not good at making lists:D )

Eternal Padawan
04-28-2002, 11:36 PM
I like those ideas bigb! Especially the "tour" thru the Rebel hangar bay in ROJ and the Executor crash.

I would also like to add a better long distance Mos Eisley shot when Ben and Luke are up on the Mesa looking down at the putrid matte painting. I can hardly tell what it is they are looking at. Spiff it up a little with ships taking off and landing.

chewie
04-29-2002, 01:01 AM
1. Get rid of or change Jabba to RotJ form in ANH:SE

2. Don't make Leia Luke's sister. It is totally unecessary. Luke could still get mad at Vader for wanting to convert Leia to the dark side even without there being a blood relationship. By the time the prequel trilogies are over with, the universal relationships going on are going to be tighter than the six degrees from Kevin Bacon game.

3. Get rid of Greedo shooting first.

4. Redo ALL the saber fight scenes. From the prequel trilogy we are seeing a lot more amazing fighting going on. Now granted George said that he wanted the fighting between Obi-Wan & Vader to look like a handicapped fight, but I've heard of lots of spritely elderly fighting going on in the prequel trilogy. Obi-Wan should still be up to snuff even at a very advanced age. Vader and Luke's sword swinging skills need severe enhancement as well. Luke swings his saber like a bat or club, and Vader just takes big long lunges and swipes all the time. i wouldnt mind seeing saber fights in the OT that make the prequel stuff look tame.

5. Make RotJ follow one of the original unused plots for the film by having the final battle take place over corusant with two death stars floating around. Now THAT would be an epic battle. Not just some big ambush like RotJ turned out to be.

Theres a whole lot more to put on that list, but if only 5 changes, this is a good start.

Darth Ovori
04-29-2002, 09:41 AM
5. Make RotJ follow one of the original unused plots for the film by having the final battle take place over corusant with two death stars floating around. Now THAT would be an epic battle. Not just some big ambush like RotJ turned out to be.

This I really like... The Endor battle was a bit lame for a finale, when you compare the possibilities out there in the SW universe...
Damn do I hate the Ewoks!!!! :D

Darkross
04-29-2002, 10:55 AM
ANH:
1. Greedo doesn't shoot at all
2. Redo Jabba in Docking Bay 94
3. Fix Obi-Wan lightsaber in the duel with Vader (you can see the rotoscoping in scene just before Luke/Leia meet up with Han/Chewie)
4. Show Stormtroopers slaughter Jawas / Beru / Owen
5. Show Alderaan and Coruscant. (At least mention Coruscant and the word Sith)

ESB:
1. Luke doesn't scream
2. Vader says: "Brin my shuttle" instead of the new line
3. Luke says: "You're lucky you don't taste very good!"
4. Fix the hologram where Vader is speaking with Captain Needa...there's an extra in there who looks like he is getting hit with something.
5. Use Ian McDiarmid in the Emperor Hologram

ROTJ:
1. Change music number in Jabba's palace
2. Longer space battle
3. Longer lightsaber duel with Vader and Luke
4. Wookies instead of Ewoks
5. Show more of Coruscant!

RooJay
04-30-2002, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Darkross
4. Fix the hologram where Vader is speaking with Captain Needa...there's an extra in there who looks like he is getting hit with something.
You wouldn't be referring to the hologram of the Imperial Commander whose Star Destroyer is being destroyed by a meteor impact would you?

Darkross
05-01-2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by RooJay

You wouldn't be referring to the hologram of the Imperial Commander whose Star Destroyer is being destroyed by a meteor impact would you?

Yes I guess I am...it never occured to me that Vader was speaking to more than just Captain Needa. All of this time I thought that Vader was speeking only to Captain Needa and his 2nd in command and that the other was a glitch. Now it all makes sense...Vader was speaking to the other Captain when his ship gets hit with the asteroid.

Thanks for clearing that up RooJay!

RooJay
05-02-2002, 04:02 AM
Which reminds me of an interesting point I'd like to make; For years before we were offered the widescreen version of ESB (those of us who never owned laserdiscs that is) that small, and quite amusing detail was all but unnoticeable!Yet another reason to see movies only in the widescreen format that they were intended.:sur:
Yes, I am a HUGE proponent of widescreen! Not only is it the original format most movies are filmed in, and the only format the director intended it to be seen in, but you also miss all kinds of cool little details (not to mention having the image framed properly on the screen!)if you watch in "Pan & Scan"! The main argument I hear from people who don't watch movies in widescreen is "Those black bars are too distracting!". Guess what? You're not supposed to be watching the black bars...you're supposed to be watching THE MOVIE! Besides, everything you watch on t.v. has a black bar ALL THE WAY AROUND IT! It's what holds the picture tube up. Anyway...that's my little rant!:happy: Just see the movies in widescreen is all I'm sayin'! PEACE OUT!:cool:

Darkross
05-02-2002, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by RooJay
Which reminds me of an interesting point I'd like to make; For years before we were offered the widescreen version of ESB (those of us who never owned laserdiscs that is) that small, and quite amusing detail was all but unnoticeable!Yet another reason to see movies only in the widescreen format that they were intended.:sur:
Yes, I am a HUGE proponent of widescreen! Not only is it the original format most movies are filmed in, and the only format the director intended it to be seen in, but you also miss all kinds of cool little details (not to mention having the image framed properly on the screen!)if you watch in "Pan & Scan"! The main argument I hear from people who don't watch movies in widescreen is "Those black bars are too distracting!". Guess what? You're not supposed to be watching the black bars...you're supposed to be watching THE MOVIE! Besides, everything you watch on t.v. has a black bar ALL THE WAY AROUND IT! It's what holds the picture tube up. Anyway...that's my little rant!:happy: Just see the movies in widescreen is all I'm sayin'! PEACE OUT!:cool:

Well I don't have a laserdisc player or laserdisc versions of the movie...but I did spend the extra money to get the Special Edition Trilogy on Widescreen. Yes when I saw my first movie in widescreen (Last of the Mohicans) the black bars annoyed me...but when you concentrate on the movie you don't even notice them. It does, however, suck to watch a widescreen movie on a 19" TV though!

Sith Lord 0498
05-02-2002, 07:38 AM
Episode IV: A New Hope
1) GREEDO DOES NOT FIRE FIRST!!!!
2) If at all possible, spice up the lightsaber duel between Vader and Obi-Wan. ESB's fight was adequete enough because Luke was still inexperienced and Vader wasn't fighting to kill him, so he would be restrained. ROTJ's fight will be discussed later. But ANH's fight was pitiful. They can try scanning Alec Guiness' face on a stunt double or find a stunt double very close to his appearance, give Hayden Christensen the Vader suit, and let 'em go at one more time.
3) Either eliminate the Jabba scene or revise it. This includes getting rid of the anorexic, caricature Jabba and making him look more like the TPM and ROTJ Jabba. Try to fix the "tail-stepping" part because it just looked pitiful.
4) Improve some of the other "dated" effects (i.e. - shots of the Falcon)
5) Include a scene where Palpatine dispatches Vader to the Death Star and revise some of the Death Star scenes so that Vader is clearly commander of the Imperial fleet and not a lapdog of Tarkin or criticized by his officers.

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
1) Eliminate all unnecessary SE alterations and return them to their original versions: Wampa scene, Vader's return to Executor
2) Replace Clive Revill with Ian McDiarmid
3) Improve the Battle of Hoth just like they improved the Battle of Yavin with CGI Snowspeeders and AT-ATs
4) Give Boba Fett more screen time since he's becoming a more central character
5) Change "You will learn from Yoda, the Jedi Master who instructed me" to "You will learn from Yoda" or "You will learn from the Jedi Master Yoda"

Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
1) Improve the explosions of both Executor and the Death Star.
2) Either include a fight scene between Boba Fett and Luke before Boba dies a more fitting death or just have Boba Fett flee and live to hunt another day.
3) Change the Jedi spirits scene at the end to either cast a middle-aged Anakin that looks closer to Hayden Christensen or maybe use Hayden and Ewan to show the Jedi now back in their prime (although Luke really wouldn't recognize Obi-Wan and it wouldn't make a lot sense w/ Alec Guiness' other scenes). Another good idea might be to have hundreds of Jedi appear after those three (including Mace, Ki-Adi, Qui-Gon, etc.) and have them fill the Ewok village as sort of invisible participants celebrating the victory over the Sith. It would better reflect the scope of Anakin and Luke's actions, especially with regards to balancing the Force
4) Revise Coruscant scene at the end to include an updated version of the planet because the current version looks too much like a painting.
5) Get rid of the musical number

Boba Fetish
05-02-2002, 11:43 PM
I think it's funny you guys mentioned the scene in ESB where the Star Destroyer gets hit by an asteroid and then you see the hologram of the captain duck as he dissapears from view. I don't think too many people realize what is goin' on in that scene because when I went see ESB:SE I was one of the only people that burst out laughing at the theater during that scene.The other scenario may be that people just don't find it as funny as I do.

Any case, back to sticking to the thread. I don't think I'll make a list because I'm pretty much in accordance with everyone else on what needs changing. Especially the Greedo scene, but since I am talking ESB, the one thing that I would change is Luke screaming. Only a couple people on this thread mentioned it real briefly. This bugs me to no end, not because it sounds like he's gurgling Scope or the fact that it sounds nothing Like Mark Hamill, but it has no context wihtin those chain of events. I mean, we see Luke collect himself and camly let himself fall allowing the Force to flow through him, and then I always assumed that Luke was thus utilizing the Force to guide himself into one of those pipes. Hardly seems that if you're freaking out and screaming that you would be able to have the concentration to do this.

What are your thoughts?

bigbarada
05-03-2002, 01:17 AM
Maybe it was "Primal Scream Therapy" that was all the rage back in the 80s.:D

I agree that if the ANH Jabba scene can't be fixed to look good, then it should just be scrapped. Jabba simply repeats what Greedo said anyway. Plus that Greedo clone next to Jabba irritates me to no end.

A wise man once said, "If Star Wars became the most popular movie of all time without a Jabba the Hutt scene, then maybe it didn't need one." Don't ask me who, I have no idea, I just remember reading that somewhere.:)

Darkross
05-03-2002, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by Boba Fetish
I think it's funny you guys mentioned the scene in ESB where the Star Destroyer gets hit by an asteroid and then you see the hologram of the captain duck as he dissapears from view. I don't think too many people realize what is goin' on in that scene because when I went see ESB:SE I was one of the only people that burst out laughing at the theater during that scene.The other scenario may be that people just don't find it as funny as I do.

Any case, back to sticking to the thread. I don't think I'll make a list because I'm pretty much in accordance with everyone else on what needs changing. Especially the Greedo scene, but since I am talking ESB, the one thing that I would change is Luke screaming. Only a couple people on this thread mentioned it real briefly. This bugs me to no end, not because it sounds like he's gurgling Scope or the fact that it sounds nothing Like Mark Hamill, but it has no context wihtin those chain of events. I mean, we see Luke collect himself and camly let himself fall allowing the Force to flow through him, and then I always assumed that Luke was thus utilizing the Force to guide himself into one of those pipes. Hardly seems that if you're freaking out and screaming that you would be able to have the concentration to do this.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts exactly...but I never believed that Luke used the Force to pull himself into one of the tubes...I always believed that they were vents that sucked out debris from the main core, and that Luke was sucked into one of them. If you notice the look on his face when he stops (just before the floor gives out), he's surprised...almost like he can't believe that he didn't die. Maybe this is why Lucas included Luke screaming ????

Taichi
05-03-2002, 07:02 PM
Okay, here's my five changes:

1. Nothing
2. Nothing
3. Nothing
4. Nothing
5. Nothing

the special editions are perfect, and don't need changed.....therefore, I vote that nothing be changed from the SE versions......

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-12-2002, 12:37 PM
Hmm . . .

ANH
1. Make Kabe's head opaque. You can see through his head, for God's sake.
2. Include another explosion sound to the scene where Luke and Han beat up the Stormtroopers and got their costumes, to explain why Luke's outfit doesn't have a detonator. I know the trooper didn't have one in the first place, but that's the beauty of CG. :D
3. Fix the displays. Make the death star readout more realistic, not an Atari game, and put the circle thing that shoots the superlaser in the correct place. Change the English display to Aurabesh when Ben is disengaging the tractor beam. That bothers me, that they apparently wrote the exact same characters we do today, but only in one scene.
4. Change Jabba to be more realistic, color-wise and everything else. Computer graphics from 1997 . . . yeesh . . .
5. Have the lightsabers look more like lightsabers. Luke's is white in this movie and blue in ESB, and Ben's fizzes out when he turns it a certain way or uses it too much. I swear you can see the metal rod in some scenes.

ESB
1. Have the Tauntauns from far away be CG and not clay. It's creepy. They're great up-close, though.
2. Use Ian McDiarmid instead of the old lady with chimpanzee eyes and Clive's voice. Ian is way creepier than that piece of monkey madness.
3. Fix it so that Threepio holds his foot the same way the wholetime through, when he says the line about delusions of grandeur.
4. Make Yoda be CG in one or two scenes, take the backpack for example. He's talking to Luke, but in faraway scenes it's obvious that his mouth isn't moving.
5. Keep the trooper helmets where they belong. Right after Han is tortured, he nearly pulls it off of one stormie.

ROTJ
1. Un-blackline the Rancor. What really gets me is, on the SE video of ESB when they talk about those black lines, they use the Rancor scene as an example, yet on ROTJ SE, they do nothing about it. It's cheap and fake. Better yet, completely CG the beast.
2. In Jabba's palace, the puppet version of Sy Snootles is seen in the background for like a second. It's small, but disturbing.
3. Get rid of some of the comedy. The Sarlacc burped. Har-de-har. Eliminate some screaming on the Skiff, and stuff like that.
4. When Han turns on Boba's Jetpack, have him either die a more honorable death or let him fly away and escape, like Jango on Kamino.
5. Include more stuff in the end scene, like Naboo (if it's still around). Maybe Kamino and Geonosis, but they're primarily bad planets. I like the idea of Jedi ghosts, and it would be cool to see Qui-Gon come up to Obi-Wan as he turns into Ewan.

Eternal Padawan
05-13-2002, 01:39 AM
I think a Naboo scene at the end of ROJ would be a great idea.

Something else I thought of; when the Emperor is blasting Luke and Vader picks him up and tosses him into the shaft ("Old Man Flinging" as we like to call it) add in some dialogue where Palpy screams "VADER!" and Vader says (very dramatically)"My name is Anakin." He says it when he first meets Padme in TPM ("I'm a person and my name is Anakin.") and then again in AOTC when she calls him Annie. ("Don't call me that. My name is Anakin.") I thought it would be nice closure to reuse that line at the end of the saga. thoughts?

bigbarada
05-13-2002, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Taichi
the special editions are perfect, and don't need changed.....therefore, I vote that nothing be changed from the SE versions......

Ahem *cough**cough* Greedo shoots first *cough**cough*

187-Maul
05-13-2002, 09:42 AM
good idea EP, but maybe the "my name is anakin" would be a bit too much actionhero-style when you automaticly think of schwarzenegger or something when the hero says a "cool" phrase and kills the enemy

MFH
06-01-2002, 11:18 PM
Most of the things I want changed have already been mentioned, so I'll just add one that hasn't. At the end of ANH, I think Chewie should get a medal. Why does he have to walk the aisle with Han and Luke if he doesn't get one?

JediTricks
06-02-2002, 06:42 PM
Why doesn't Dodonna get a medal? He's the one who actually figured out the Death Star's weakness in time. Or how about R2? He kept Luke in that fight for a long time by repairing the X-wing... till he got shot. Chewie didn't appear to actually be any significant part of Han's decision to turn around and kick some TIE booty, so if Dodonna doesn't get one, and R2 doesn't get one, why should Chewie? :D

I dunno, I just thought Dodonna and R2 and 3PO and Chewie got their accolades simply by being up there on the stage.

MFH
06-02-2002, 09:39 PM
JediTricks, I see your point. But...

According to my Guide to the Star Wars Universe, Chewie did convince Han to go back. Of course, that reference was to something in the EU. I guess it depends if you believe the EU stuff or not. But you're right. If Chewie gets one, then so should Dodonna and R2. But why 3PO?

Lman316
06-02-2002, 10:51 PM
Here is what I would change:

Make the CGI Jabba better. I, like a few others, am fine with the scene itself. And I would have been fine with Jabba like that if the Episode 1 Jabba hadn't looked like he did.

Fix the matte (sp?) lines around the Rancor - they fixed the stuff in ESB with the Snowspeeders, why didn't they fix this.

There is like a black blob on the Emperor's hood in ROTJ, that should be fixed.

Monkey/chimp Emperor in ESB.

This is all little stuff.....not really worth me bringing them all up again. But other than effect problems, I wouldn't change anything. How could seriously get rid of Ewoks? They're the best thing that ever happened to Star Wars! :happy:. Well, maybe not THE best...but one of the best :D.

End :happy:.