PDA

View Full Version : "I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid"

Pendo
04-22-2002, 02:43 PM
What reasons could George put into Episode III for why Ben Kenobi doesn't remember R2?

Any thoughts?

Here's my theorys:
Obi-Wan has his memory erased...erm, I guess NOT!
He generally DOES forget...as if!
The "I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid" was really a secret code between him and R2, we find out what it means in Episode III...

Ok...your thoughts.

PENDO!

Beast
04-22-2002, 02:51 PM
He's a liar in ANH, big time. His certain point of view is really just a bold faced lie. And actually he never said he didn't recognize R2-D2, all he said was that he didn't remember ever owning a droid. And he didn't, R2-D2 belonged to Padme so he's bending the truth with his certain point of view.

Plus, he may not recognize R2-D2 immediatly, remember the R2 series is a pretty standard astromech unit. I am sure that there are more then just one that was painted white and blue rolling around out there. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
04-22-2002, 08:15 PM
From what I've heard and seen, Obi-Wan never owned a droid and all astromechs DO look alike. I think Obi-Wan was being straight-up.

Dryanta
04-24-2002, 07:34 PM
I agree JT he never(as far as we've seen) owned any droids let alone R2 D2

bigbarada
04-25-2002, 12:26 AM
I didn't think the Jedi really had possessions, aside from their lightsabers and robes and maybe a little Jedi handbook with "1001 cryptic sayings for every occasion.":D

Seriously, Obi-Wan never owned a droid, Artoo belonged to Padme. No "certain point of view about it." It's pretty cut and dry. Obi-Wan might've recognized Artoo in ANH; but I doubt he would have said anything. Someone in hiding for twenty years would learn to not give out unnecessary information.

As for Threepio, were Obi-Wan and Threepio ever even in the same room together in Ep1? From what I've read they aren't exactly drinking buddies in Ep2 either.

Eternal Padawan
04-27-2002, 08:04 AM
He also says "It's OK my little friend. He'll be alright." That sounds like he recognizes the spunky little astromech.

Beast
04-27-2002, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
He also says "It's OK my little friend. He'll be alright." That sounds like he recognizes the spunky little astromech.
Yep, good point EP. I had forgotten that line of dialogue that Ben says to R2-D2. Most likely he did recognize him then. As for why C-3PO doesn't remember anything, who knows. Perhaps he was memory wiped, or he has a secured storage section of his brain where all the prequel events are stored for security reasons. Guess we need to wait til E3 to find out. Makes sense to me.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Sith Lord 0498
04-27-2002, 02:48 PM
Perhaps Obi-Wan was just trying to calm down R2-D2. Lucas typically portrays droids as having human personalities in his films. Obi-Wan would be used to droids reacting in a human way, and he would interact with them in human ways.

As for his line about never owning a droid, I don't think he recognizes R2 at first, but he might have a slight suspicion. After all, his whole line is: "I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid. Very interesting." When he sees Leia's hologram, then I think he realizes who R2-D2 is. Remember, he glances back at R2 once the holo starts playing. It's almost like a double take and a realization.

But of course, Obi-Wan knows the droids have had a memory wipe (why else wouldn't they recognize Tatoonie, the name Skywalker, the homestead, etc???). There's no point in bringing this up. It wouldn't mean anything to the droids, and it would lead to having to tell Luke who Darth Vader really is.

Beast
04-27-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Sith Lord 0498
But of course, Obi-Wan knows the droids have had a memory wipe (why else wouldn't they recognize Tatoonie, the name Skywalker, the homestead, etc???). There's no point in bringing this up. It wouldn't mean anything to the droids, and it would lead to having to tell Luke who Darth Vader really is.
I disagree with that, while C-3PO may have had a memory wipe, I don't think any evidance points twords R2-D2 having had one. He knows his way around on Tatooine, knows which way to go to find Obi-Wan, like he's been there before. R2-D2 isn't really a chatterbox like C-3PO, and he needs someone to translate his beeps and whistles, unlike C-3PO so he's not gonna just blab it to anyone on accident. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
04-27-2002, 03:55 PM
If R2 hasn't had a memory wipe, then why doesn't he tell 3PO about Anakin when he realises that Luke carries the same surname? I think maybe parts of their memories have been wiped but not all of it...

PENDO!

Beast
04-27-2002, 04:13 PM
Maybe he was told not to. Or he has tried, and C-3PO has thought he was crazy. He seems to think that R2-D2 isn't very bright in ANH, and doesn't take anything he says as truth or reliable. So he could just be ignoring him. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
04-27-2002, 04:19 PM
Maybe, but if 3PO won't listen to him then why doesn't R2 try to tell Luke when talking to him through the computer on his X-Wing? He's also around when Luke's talking to Ben about his father so it's not like he doesn't know that it's one of Luke's dreams to know about him.

PENDO!

JediTricks
04-29-2002, 02:42 AM
Ben sees Artoo hiding in the shadows, but still watching over Luke - Ben's line has always seemed to me to be one meant to calm and reassure the little droid, to draw him out so Luke and his stuff can be gathered up quickly and get out of there. I mean, Obi-Wan couldn't even totally see Artoo at this point, how could he recognize him from so many other astromechs? Look at Ep 1, there are over a dozen similar-looking astromechs in that film.

JEDIpartner
05-01-2002, 03:01 PM
I dunno... I'm pretty convinced Artoo is in the know about a whole lot more than he lets on. Ben, on the other hand, is being honest about not having owned a droid. If you watch Sir Alec's portrayal of Ben in ANH, he's always shifty eyed when giving responses to Luke's pointed questions or statements. He doesn't really do that when responding to Luke's statement that Artoo belongs to Obi-Wan. Furthermore, I think Artoo MUST know what the deal is in order to make certain that particular situations or persons are avoided.

Wolfwood319
05-01-2002, 03:43 PM
Since TPM, I've always had the notion that R2 pretty much knows everything that has happened. He does seem know exactly where he's going in ANH. And I think that 3P0 had his memory wiped clean too. He didn't seem to be in the know about anything for the most part. And too, when he's with the Lars family, he looks different, so they wouldn't recognize him either.

As for Ben, he always seemed to know what was going on as well, but didn't tell Luke everything as to avoid causing any more problems. He tells Luke "I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid,'' in response to Luke's inferrence that R2 is looking for his owner, Obi-Wan. Now, maybe 3PO didn't translate exactly what R2 said, and therefore something is lost in the meaning. You never do hear R2's exact words.

So instead of Ben saying;

"Oh yeah, that's R2-D2. He was a droid that belonged to your Mother, and was also present when I first met your father."

So by him saying "I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid," it just made everything easier to comprehend.

bigbarada
05-05-2002, 12:28 AM
However, "I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid" is actually a true statement. The only droid Obi-Wan seems close to actually owning is the R4 droid head on his starfighter; but I doubt it is really his.

El Chuxter
05-10-2002, 02:18 PM
Ben knows. "Well, hello there, my little friend" is hardly a greeting given to a mechanical tool.

And I will maintain until George says otherwise that C-3PO knows what's going on, but has some form of memory block that prevents him from speaking about it until released by Bail Organa, Captain Antilles, or Obi-Wan--all conveniently killed in ANH. "It's okay, you can trust him. He's our new master!" If that was always his attitude, he'd have been melted down on his first mission.

And if you buy EU, he certainly remembers that he was built on Tatooine in the Union comic book. . . but just happens to leave out who built him. ;)