PDA

View Full Version : Americans bombing Canadians

Bosskman
04-22-2002, 04:36 PM
I know most of you guys on these forums are Americans and I was wondering what you guys think about that American pilot that killed and wounded those Canadians over in Afghanistan. I've been in the Militia up here for 9 years (no it's not like the Michigan Militia, it's like the National Guard to you guys) and, while I didn't know them personally, two of the guys killed were from Nova Scotia, which is the next province over from me, and I doubtlessly know people that knew them because the military up here is VERY close knit, both Regular and Reserve.

jedihunter25
04-22-2002, 04:44 PM
Wow this is the first time I heard about this. That really sucks. I think Canada is really cool ( when I lived in Michigan, I use to go across the bridge to Winsor all the time).

Bosskman
04-22-2002, 04:49 PM
We get some American Channels up here and I first heard about it a few days ago on the Detroit Channel. They actually had a reporter in Windsor telling quite a bit about if. If you turn on a TV or radio up here it's all you here. I was just wondering how much you American's were hearing about it, or if it was just a flash in the pan D section story down there.

SWAFMAN
04-22-2002, 05:14 PM
you may want to browse through these posts from a few days ago.... (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=66843#post66843)

derek
04-22-2002, 08:10 PM
bosskman,

actually it is not news in the states. it's being reported as an accident. we got bigger fish to fry, like robert blake!:) who?

i know this may be a big deal in canada, but if you follow our military operations, we've probably had more of our own troops killed by friendly fire or training accidents than by the enemy.:confused:

JediTricks
04-22-2002, 08:22 PM
I'm sorry to hear this happened, I saw this mentioned on the "GWB is a Hippo" thread but had nothing to add then. Upon reflection, hasn't our US army bombed its own soldiers in the past few months at least twice? I'm not saying accidents don't happen, especially in battle, but our smart weapons seem to be killing far too many of "the good guys" lately.

chewie
04-22-2002, 08:24 PM
In war, people die. Be it accident or by design. They gave their lives serving their duty and should be commended for it. As their deaths were an accident, it is especially sad to see it happen. That's the only comments I really have on this matter.

bigbarada
04-22-2002, 08:30 PM
How smart can a weapon be if it kills all of the wrong people?:mad:

jeddah
04-23-2002, 03:11 PM
actually it is not news in the states. it's being reported as an accident.

...I wonder why? :rolleyes: Not surprisingly it was very big news in the UK, not least because of the division between us at the mo' in regard to the Blair Titch Project aka do-what-the-:bleep:-puppetmasters-of-GWB-say.

and then...

i know this may be a big deal in canada, but if you follow our military operations, we've probably had more of our own troops killed by friendly fire or training accidents than by the enemy.

I guess that makes it alright then.:stupid: I just hope you enjoy your ringside seat watching what was great about America become more and more disrespected and hated day by day.:(

jeddah

mabudonicus
04-23-2002, 03:18 PM
To the Americans who posted condolences above - THANK YOU. The media has warped people's perceptions so badly that it's hard to know who thinks what. I was kind of surprised by who said what in this thread so far, thanks again, I feel a bit better. It's too bad you fellows have to be ashamed of things that you,by proxy, are viewed as "responsible" for. I know none of us did this. BB esp. thanks- smart weapons?!? Darn right!!

stillakid
04-23-2002, 03:33 PM
We've lost more soldiers and civilians to friendly fire and training accidents than in actual battle, I believe. My understanding is that it has been quite some time since a Canadian has lost his life in wartime circumstances, so the attention paid makes sense.

It's tragic that even one person has to die because of a ruthless Arab playboy that has a corncob stuck up his as*. It's all so pointless. What the hell did Bin Laden think he was going to achieve anyway? All of these people have to die because he had to go on a power-trip. It's all so pointless...

Wolfwood319
04-23-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
It's tragic that even one person has to die because of a ruthless Arab playboy that has a corncob stuck up his as*. It's all so pointless. What the hell did Bin Laden think he was going to achieve anyway? All of these people have to die because he had to go on a power-trip. It's all so pointless...

War has always been pointless. Faceless people killing other faceless people for no other reason then because someone you've never seen has a political grudge against another person you've never seen.

I tell you, its amazing the human race has achieved as much as it has. The world is going to hell in a handbag..

derek
04-23-2002, 05:17 PM
jeddah,

no, of course it dosen't make it right, but i think the canadians are over reacting to this. at least the ones who are posting about it here. they almost act like this attack was intentional. or like the u.s. pilot bombed them for the fun of it.

it may seem cold to say, but i'm not sorry this happened. nor am i glad it did. it seems to be an accident that i can't apologize for. and i'm not the type to spectate at someone's loss. this is just as tragic as the u.s. troops who were killed trying to defuse al-queida bombs. but it's not really major news, except to those who lost loved ones. it's kind of like hearing about someone who died in a car crash 2000 miles away.

wolfwood319,

war is only pointless to those who start it in an attempt to enslave or rule others. to those who defend and protect and bring REAL, not imagined pacifist, PEACE, it indeed does serve a valuable purpose.

mabudonicus
04-24-2002, 01:32 PM
Okay, derek, don't be sorry. I don't expect anyone to apologize, I'd rather our "peacekeepers" get the heck back here until there's "peace" to keep. It just makes one wonder who the enemy is. And what "peace" and "freedom" mean. I guess that's why the first aircraft designed by the US specifically to drop A-bombs was called "Peacemaker".

Dryanta
04-24-2002, 02:26 PM
I am also sorry that it happened.At the same time I can't offer an appology because I wasn't the pilot.Smart bombs are only as smart as the people using them.I don't know the whole story and doubt I ever will.I don't doubt at all there may be alot more people responsible than just the pilot.I have nothing but sympathy for the families of those lost.
I will go now because if some of the "anti-American " rhetoric(spelling)gets any worse than I would end up saying alot of things I would deaply regret.

jeddah
04-24-2002, 04:05 PM
Hi Derek, I don't think you should apologise either, I just wish there could be a little less clumsiness. Sure, other Allies could be making boobs and covering them up, but I think the US Gov't seems to be quite fertile in this area at the mo'. :confused:

jeddah

Bosskman
04-24-2002, 06:35 PM
I'm sorry if I gave anyone the impression that I bame the US for what happened. I like the US just fine. I don't blame the pilot. I don't know what I would have done if I were in his place and thought I was getting fired at. The problem was somewhere higher up than the pilot. He should have been told that there were Canadians out there in a designated traing area conducting a training live fire exercise. Bad communication somewhere higher up caused those deaths. It WAS somebdy's fault but it was not the whole freakin country's fault!

mabudonicus
04-25-2002, 12:09 PM
Mabudon's getting out of politics in these forums. I'll look at such threads just to test the water, but I realize as Bosskman said in his 1st post that the majority here are Americans, so out of respect for the community I'll just stay out of it. After the recent booing of anthems at playoff hockey and b-ball games, I am just ashamed and disgusted. I'd rather come here to get my mind off of stuff like that. I'm going to start another 21b-related thread. WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!(notice no veiled threats or nothing? the Canadian way)