PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Jones Toy Line!

Brave Sir Robin
09-04-2001, 09:17 PM
I think that a really great company like McFarlene toys or whoever made the Matrix figures should get up off their arses and make a kickin-kewl Indiana Jones line. They would have absoltly no trouble selling it since Indy films are almost as well loved by apsolutly everyone as Star Wars. Plus, they never made a toy line for The Last Crusade! My picks would include

Indiana Jones
Marion Ravenwood
Sallah
Belloq
Bill Gates-esque guy who brands his hand on the medallion
German Mechanic who gets chopped to bits
Willie Scott
Short Round
Dr. Henry Jones Sr. (I WANT A SEAN CONNERY FIGURE!!!)
Evil Nazi General Dude
Elsa Schnieder
Holy Grail Knight

they would come with signiture voice chips like "Why did it have to be snakes?" "Hold on to your potatoes!" "This is intolorable!" and "You have chosen wisely."

who else is with me? hah?

derek
09-04-2001, 10:51 PM
there was a report in toyfair a while back that mc farlaine was in discussions to produce this line, but it never materialized.

it seems logical that since indiana jones is a lucasfilm property that hasbro would have first dibs at this line. and since all is a go for indy 4, i bet we'll see some stuff from hasbro. that could be good, like some of the recent star wars lines, or horrible like the 12 inch planet of the apes.

Obi-Dan Kenobi
09-05-2001, 12:01 AM
I would be all over an Indy line. For god's sake, no voice chips though. They're just unnecessary. And keep the price point fairly low. If they went with 3 3/4" figures again, a price along the lines of POTJ would be acceptable.

bigbarada
09-05-2001, 12:15 AM
"When danger reared it's ugly head he bravely turned his tail and fled."

Sorry Brave Sir Robin, couldn't resist.:D

I heard that DisneyWorld had some exclusive figures of Indy, anybody know if they're any good?

I would love a true and exhaustive Indy line, however, for some odd reason I would prefer if they were made to scale with current SW figures. I need to finally act out that Han Solo vs. Indiana Jones Deathmatch I've always dreamed of. Thus I'm not sure if McFarlane is the right company for that, plus their reliance on unarticulated lumps of plastic wouldn't do Indy justice.

This way with a smaller line we could have that cool Nazi Jet from Raiders and that tank from Last Crusade. Plus a mini Ark of the Covenant and Holy Grail accessories. A mine cart "electric train set" would be cool as a 'super-playset.' They could even make a Hitler action figure! Who wouldn't buy that?;)

Brave Sir Robin
09-05-2001, 07:07 AM
An Adolf Hitler action figure would be very cool- but I am almost certain that parents wouldn't go for it. In fact, some parent is bound to get pushy about Nazi toys, even though they are the baddies. Hasbro should perhaps make the Nazis (or Germans, as they will probably be called) exclusives to ToyFare or the Star Wars Insider and only have the non-swastika wearing baddies like Belloq, Mola Ram, and Walter Donovan on the shelves for kiddies to get their little mits on.
As for a company, I think Hasbro will probably get first dibs on this, and with all the Real Scan technology stuff going on now, they would probably look just as good as a McFarlene product.

evenflow
09-05-2001, 07:52 AM
I have a post on this in the other section. I have a list of figures and everything. As for a Hitler figure, i think it would make a great mail away figure. It should have his likeness, but can just be called German General or something. The name Hitler does not have to appear, we would all know who it was.

evenflow
09-05-2001, 07:55 AM
Here, i figured I'd bring it over here too.

1. Indy w/ gun, pouch, whip, and Gold Idle
2. Indy in German uniform
3. Indy w/ Knife no jacket
4. Indy w/ removable hat & grail
5. Henry Jones w/ removable hat & grail diary
6. Young Indiana w/ cross and dog
7. Marion Ravenwood w/ medallion
8. Belloq w/ map
9. Belloq in Ceremonial Gown
10. Sallah w/ torch
11. German soldier w/ gun
12. German Mechanic w/ wrench
13. German General w/ baton
14. Dr. Shnieder w/ false grail
15. Marcus Brody
16. Knight w/ armor & sword
17. Mola Rom w/ removable head gear
18. Short Round w/ removable cap
19. Willie in gold/red dress w/ diamond & antedote
20. Giant Thugee
21. Cairo Swordsman w/ sword
22. Toht w/ gun & coat
23. Donalvin w/ grail tablit
24. Casim w/ gun (brotherhood guy)

Beast assortment:
25. Sallah w/ red hat with Camel
26. Indy w/ white horse
27. Henry w/ bandana with brown horse

Playsets:
28. Well of Souls w/ snakes, ark, & Cermonial Indy
29. Streets of Cairo w/ Arab Spy & monkey
30. Underground Venice tomb w/ coffins, skeletons, second marking(shield), & rats

Mail Away:
31. German Leader (Hitler)

Brave Sir Robin
09-05-2001, 12:53 PM
Wow, evenflow your list is totally cool!
I would definatley buy me a River Phoenix fig w/ Indiana the Dog becuz I have a dog that looks just like him :). And Belloq, Toht, the German Leader and Walter Donovan should have interchangable heads, one normal and one melting/decomposing.

evenflow
09-05-2001, 01:24 PM
Thanks. I def. like the idea of switching heads. That would be pretty cool.

Lobito
09-05-2001, 01:35 PM
Yep, im in for the Indy line, while Mcfarlane sculpts really good somehow i would prefer Hasbro to make this line. They can use the same scale (3 3/4") that SW has.

With the realease of the IJ4 movie i'm sure they will make a toy line, but i'm not sure about who has the rights to produce IJ toys.

And in another topic, did u know that R2-D2 and C3PO appear in one of the 3 IJ movies?? Yep, they are painted in a Pyramid or something, cant remember which movie though...guess its time to see the movies again.

evenflow
09-05-2001, 02:11 PM
I agree that Hasbro would have to do the line. With the way the new POTJ figures look, they would be amazing. Also, in Temple of Doom, the club in the beginning is called Club Obi-Wan .

buba-fatt
09-05-2001, 05:29 PM
Has any one else had a Mcfarland figure out of the package? Sure the sculpting looks great but the articulation and the durability stink to high heaven. There have been very few Mcfarland figures that I have opened that did not break very easily. Malabolgia being the only exception that comes to mind. I would hope that Hasbro could do a 3 3/4" line and beyond that i would like GI Joe type articulation to be used. As far as a beast assortment goes, you have to have Willy, Shorty, and Indy on the elephants. A box set with Indy and his dad on the motorcycle would be good too. A carded set of creatures including rats, snakes, spiders, bats, monkey, lizard, owl,etc. would also be nice. Army builder bucketsO' Thugs, Nazies, Hovitos, Arabs there are really too many things to list. There are plenty of characters to keep the line fresh for a good while so beyond maybe leagal reasons i dont see why a company does not pick up the lisence. Please Hasbro, please.

Obi-Dan Kenobi
09-06-2001, 01:25 AM
Don't know if this is common knowledge, but in Last Crusade, Hitler is played by Michael Sheard, who also played Admiral Ozzel. I believed he played Hitler in another movie also, as well as Heinrich Himmler. This guy's all about Nazis.

I say just call the figure Hitler, and include an open, signed version of the diary with him. Come on, with all the violence, horror, and satanism in action figures today, why can't we have a figure of one of the most recognizable figures of real-life evil the world has ever seen? And aren't there other companies who make Nazi figures? It's not like they are being portrayed in a good light.

evenflow
09-06-2001, 09:40 AM
I like the idea of the bike with Indy and his father. That would be an add on my list.

Mandalorian Candidat
09-06-2001, 09:44 AM
Holy epiphany, Batman! I didn't even realize the Hitler/Ozzel connection until now. I just watched TLC last weekend and didn't put the two together. Now that I think about it they do look alike.

I think someone could very easily make an Indy with whip figure that has an action lever allowing it to flick the whip. If they can do it for those crummy Jackie Chan figures they could do it for an Indy line.

JediCole
09-06-2001, 12:05 PM
I too would want the license (if any) to go to Hasbro over MacFarlane any day of the week. I love MacFarlane's Movie Maniacs line and hope that they will eventually bring us Jules and Vincent from Pulp Fiction. However, Indiana Jones needs the kind of attention to detail and superior craftsmanship that only Hasbro can provide. Did you know that when the Kenner/Hasbro license for Star Wars lapsed that George Lucas helped convince them to take it up again, despite a reported $1 Billion bid from Mattel for the master toy rights.
I think that the Star Wars figure scale would be a must, especially to insure that there would be accesories like the mini tank and horses at a decent price point. Personally I have no use for gimics like voice chips or spring loaded arms. Articulation that combines the best of the Imperial Officer and the Cantina Han Solo (articulated at the neck, shoulders, biceps, elbows, (possibly) wrists, hips, upper legs (as with Han), and knees would be ideal. That would allow for horseback (or elephant back) riding that would not look awkward as well as many other poses.
As for the Nazi villains, they would probably have to be depicted sans their distinctive armbands. Bubba Fatt could answer this with certainty, but I believe that the "German Soldier Disguise" Indy did not sport an armband in the "vintage" Indy line.
I love many of the ideas presented here, a young Indy with Indiana (the dog) would be great and long overdue. Also, Henry Sr. should have his briefcase and umbrella along with the diary. And Sallah, though he appeared in Arab garb, spent most of his screen time in his white suit and hat. I would rather see him thus depicted than in the turban and robes, at least as an initial figure. The interchangeable heads idea is also intriguing. Perhaps we can sneak this thread into "Dear Hasbro" as well...

buba-fatt
09-06-2001, 04:41 PM
Jedi Cole is correct about the armband's absence. However, Toht does have a small red dot where his Nazi pin would be. I mentioned before that GI Joe articulation should be used but after thinking on it, just symetric articulation would be best. It bugs me to have a figure that has swivel articulation on one arm and not the other. A type of ball and socket joint at the hips would allow for adequit seating on a horse or in a truck. I dont know if I spelled adequit correctly. I would like for the figures to have accurate accessories also. Hasbro has a habit of putting goofy looking stafs with characters that might not be associated with a particular weapon(ex. Jar-Jar, Boss Nass, Valorum). If the character has absolutly no accessory to be put with him/her, my thoughts are that you cant have too many snakes, mummies, or skeletons.

evenflow
09-08-2001, 08:09 AM
As much as I want Hasbro to pick up the line, some things would never be done then. No way would be ever get the Hitler figure or any emblems on the clothes. I could live with that though.

JediCole
09-08-2001, 07:55 PM
I can't honestly think of any mainstream toy company with the clout to buy the license that would risk attempting a Hitler figure. Sure for us it's just one of the characters in the movie and should produce no more uproar than Hitler's appearance in the film incited. But reason flys out the door when something falls so close to the fringe of how people interpret things. Frankly, unlike Star Wars, for Inidana Jones, I don't need a figure of absolutly every individual that graced the screen. I found Kenner's Cairo Swordsman a bit of a waste of a character choice for a fledgeling toy line. And people complain about Jabba's Palace or Cantina creatures not having much screen time!

bigbarada
09-08-2001, 08:06 PM
Was that the same Cairo Swordsman from RLA who confronted Indy only to be shot three seconds later? That was such a classic scene, no wonder they made a figure of him! In fact I seem to remember Entertainment Weekly listing that scene as the #1 coolest moment in movie history, ever!

Of course, this just goes to show Harrison Ford's talent for improvising a scene, that and the "I love you/I know" scene from ESB are two examples of Mr. Ford ignoring the script and saying/doing the first thing that comes to his mind. In the process creating a moment that moviegoers will remember forever.

So, is someone ever does produce an Indiana Jones toy line, then I would hope to see the Cairo Swordsman show up in the third or fourth wave of figures.

Brave Sir Robin
09-08-2001, 09:33 PM
I think that for sculpting, detail, and the possibility of a Star Wars scale Indy line, Hasbro would be great. However- they ARE pretty much a kid's company. Thus, we would probably not be seeing armbands with swastikas on them, and a figure of Hitler, cool as his cameo is i TLC, would be totally out of the question. If a company like McFarlene or someone else who could have articulation as well as great detail, but is more of a "grown up" company, we would see some of these things. I remember seeing ads in ToyFare for some 12" military figures with some famous German General and the WWII Afrika Corps or something, and these bad boys are definatley aimed at collectors.

On the subject of a whipping, spring loaded arm...no. Stupid idea. Maybe good for an Indy Happy Meal figure, but not for something that collectors are going to buy. Voice chips could be cool, but after everybody's reaction to to the EPISODE 1 COMMTech chips I think that the majority vote says no- especially after they raised the price from 5.99 to 7.99

bigbarada
09-08-2001, 09:41 PM
Actually, one way to do the Hitler figure, without making the Hitler figure would be to produce a "Nazi Leader" figure, without the trademark Hitler moustache. Easy enough for customizers to add on later.

As for Nazi swastikas, just include them as stickers to be applied after the figure is opened.

However, I don't think it would be in any company's best interests to start producing Nazi figures right away. Wait until the line is successful and most of the other characters have already been made.

Obi-Don
09-09-2001, 04:57 AM
Some of the figures would be ok and I would get a few but the Nazis and Hitler I would pass on.I may cause some heated debate on this one ,but I would not want my kids playing with a Hitler toy or anything else to do with him.In a movie is one thing but not as a toy.I guess the rest of my feelings about this I should keep to myself to avoid offending anyone.

evenflow
09-09-2001, 07:48 AM
That's what I originally said, make the figure with his likeness, but not the name. I honestly think people are too politically correct these days. It would be just a toy.

Oh, bigbarada, that was a great scene. :D

Brave Sir Robin
09-09-2001, 12:15 PM
You know, in actuallity, I don't think anybody would make a Hitler figure even an adult toy company. The armbands though, I think would be more tolorable for most people, but the Nazis sould not be made right off the bat. The first wave should have Indy, Marion, Sallah, Short Round, Henry Jones Sr. and maybe some baddies like Mola Ram, Belloq, the shirtless bald German Mechanic or the doomed Swordsman. Later, if those guys do well, they could start making the likes of Marcus Brody, Elsa, either the German General from Raiders or TLC, I'm not sure if we need both, Willie Scott, and Walter Donovan. Some planes, trucks, tanks and a horse riding Indy would definatley be very cool as well.

evenflow
09-09-2001, 02:34 PM
Sorry Dude,
A 12 inch Hitler was just recently made. It is in scale with the Dragon line. The company that produced it will also be making, Castro, Mussilini, Stalin, and all other people like that. I will try to find the site that is selling them to show you.

buba-fatt
09-09-2001, 03:27 PM
Michael Sheard(I think thats right), was at a toy show here local a few years back and he autographed a custom 12" Adolph that I had. He was very amused by it and showed it to Captain Peitt(cant remember the actors name). I later set it on my table at the show and got many comments but no complaints. I then put it on Ebay and sold it along with a Mola Ram without any complaints. Even in this time when people are looking for something to be offended by, I dont think a Hitler figure is going to get someone upset. Not being a parant, I may be missing the reason that a Hitler figure would be bad.But as a kid I never was influinced by the Nazi army men that I had. I new what they did historically and I knew that they were the "bad guys". Besides, I think some kid is more likely to act out something he sees in a movie than something he reads in a history book.

JediTricks
09-10-2001, 08:09 AM
There is already one 12" Hitler figure out there, and another one on the way. I am offended by the idea that money is being made over one of the worst, most evil human beings of all time. I lost family over there, I don't like the idea that there are people out there who still glorify and worship this maniac, but to make a toy of him is simply over the top IMO.

bigbarada
09-10-2001, 08:17 AM
I lost family over there, I don't like the idea that there are people out there who still glorify and worship this maniac, but to make a toy of him is simply over the top IMO.

My father's grandparents and great aunt's and uncle's were all killed in Auschwitz, so I understand how reprehensible the idea of a Hitler action figure is to some.

Brave Sir Robin
09-10-2001, 12:20 PM
i suppose that is another good point about a Hitler toy- the really terrible evil things he did. You could make a toy of just about any other tyrant, Napoleon, King George III, Saddamn Hussain even but not Hitler.

bigbarada
05-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Holy epiphany, Batman! I didn't even realize the Hitler/Ozzel connection until now. I just watched TLC last weekend and didn't put the two together. Now that I think about it they do look alike.

I just learned today that the actor who portrayed Donovan from the Last Crusade (the guy who died from super-accelerated aging after drinking from the fake Grail) also played General Veers in ESB. That was news to me.

Dar' Argol
05-07-2008, 06:00 AM
Well this was a wish that has come true. I saw Indiana Jones toys out at Wal-Mart last night. Little 3 3/4 inch figures. Also Playskool has some of the deformed figure and there is even a Indy potatohead. The funy thing I was was there was a Playskool Indy figure packed with a "Ghost of the Ark" . . . he hehe . . that's right let you kids think its a cute Casper the friendly Ghost and then scare the crap out of them with the movie . . . he he he

Old Fossil
05-07-2008, 06:57 AM
I just learned today that the actor who portrayed Donovan from the Last Crusade (the guy who died from super-accelerated aging after drinking from the fake Grail) also played General Veers in ESB. That was news to me.

He was also in a James Bond film ("For Your Eyes Only," I think), making him the only actor with a role in each of those three film franchises.

Blue2th
05-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Julian Glover died? That's a bummer. How come there's not news of this all over the Star Wars sites?
Great actor. :sad:

LTBasker
05-08-2008, 11:53 AM
In his continuous nature to be at the control of large beasty things, he also did the voice for the mammoth-sized spider "Aragog" from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I could've sworn he actually died awhile back, but I guess I was thinking of the guy (Michael Sheard) whom played Admiral Ozzel as well as Hitler in many things including The Last Crusade.

I wonder how many other Imperial Officer actors played Nazis?

JediTricks
05-09-2008, 03:41 PM
I just learned today that the actor who portrayed Donovan from the Last Crusade (the guy who died from super-accelerated aging after drinking from the fake Grail) also played General Veers in ESB. That was news to me.Julian Glover, a good piece of casting. Did you know the actor who played Hitler was Admiral Ozzel? Or Porkins was the Army Intelligence agent in Raiders?

He was also in a James Bond film ("For Your Eyes Only," I think), making him the only actor with a role in each of those three film franchises.That's right, he was the villain in that one. But he wasn't the only actor with a role in each franchise I believe, there are a few other actors with smaller roles.

Julian Glover died? That's a bummer. How come there's not news of this all over the Star Wars sites?
Great actor. :sad:He misspoke, he meant the character died, not the actor, Julian Glover is alive last I saw and has 3 movies coming out soon.

Ji'dai
05-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Dennis Muren, the ILM visual effects wizard, was the sinister man behind the LIFE magazine on the PanAm seaplane in the beginning of Raiders.

plasticfetish
05-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Seeing as how this toy line is a bit more than a theory now, I think I'll move this thread. ;)

2-1B
05-09-2008, 08:41 PM
I think it should stay in the Theory thread.

plasticfetish
05-09-2008, 09:48 PM
And now that I see how there's no way or reason to merge this with the "other" Indiana Jones" thread... I suppose you're right Caesar.

Thanks for digging this one up BTW. :thumbsup::rolleyes:

Maradona
05-09-2008, 10:33 PM

He also played the German mechanic that Indy fist fights in Raiders, doesn't he?

Old Fossil
05-09-2008, 11:33 PM
That's right, he was the villain in that one. But he wasn't the only actor with a role in each franchise I believe, there are a few other actors with smaller roles.

All right. Got any names?