PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings/FOTR Thread (merged)

Sith Worm
08-16-2001, 01:59 PM
Three rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie,
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.

Yes Barada i'm am waiting with you!

QLD
08-17-2001, 03:28 AM
Fiiiiiiiiive Golden Rings!!.........

4 Calling Birds
3 French Hens
2 Turtle Doves.

And a partridge in a pear treeeeee.....

Seriously though, the movie looks like it will rule.

Sith Worm
08-17-2001, 11:58 AM
I think that Titantic sould get prepared to sink again! Fellowship is going to break the record, as for Epi.II I think it will be lucky to catch Epi.I!

Darth Doughboy
08-17-2001, 05:38 PM
I can't wait for Fellowship of the Ring to come out! The only thing I'm worried about is how they're going to handle the parts they have to inevitably cut out for time constraints (the book is long enough to almost cover 2 movies).

bigbarada
08-18-2001, 03:22 AM
Most movies with a "pre-installed" fanbase make me nervous, but I've heard a lot of good things about LOTR. So I remain excited and optimistic.

Does anyone know the actual release date? I'm sure I could find it if I spent 2 seconds looking but you know how it is.

Laaazzzy:D

I agree about Ep2, Sith Worm, I don't think it will catch EP1, and Ep3 will make less than Ep2. Movies without bright, shiny endings usually don't do well at the box office.:(

Darth Cruel
08-18-2001, 03:52 AM
December 19th is the much anticipated release date for FOTR. I will be seeing it on opening day. I have waited 20 years for a movie to come out that will do this story justice. And, unlike the stupid Smurf-looking cartoon and the psycadelic live action/animated versions, this one looks like it will at least be worthy. I was actually planning to do a website similar to SSG for that story but I just work too many hours.

12inch Lando
08-18-2001, 05:18 AM
I saw the trailor for LoR before Rush Hour 2 the other day. It looks really cool. I bought the books about 6 months ago in anticipation of the film. I guess I better get started on the first one.

Rollo Tomasi
08-18-2001, 05:42 AM
At my theater we've already gotten a few new posters and cardboard dioramas - very cool. So far the marketing for this trilogy has been superb.

I also agree that the box office totals for AotC and Episode III will each be lower than the films preceeding them. Time will tell . . .

QLD
08-18-2001, 06:25 PM
I pretty much ignore box office dollars now, unless it is a movie that I really want to fail. Some of the weirdest movies make money.

bigbarada
08-18-2001, 09:37 PM
I know the old LOTR and Hobbit cartoons seem hokey nowadays but they introduced many kids, myself included, to the saga.

Of course after reading the books I see just how much was left out.

Thanks for the info, Darth Cruel, December 19th is now marked on my calendar.

:D

Sith Worm
08-20-2001, 02:11 PM
12 inch Lando please read them before you go see because no matter how good the movies are and how awsome the efects are they will never be as good as the books! Oh and be sure to read them during the day. For they are seeking...

The_Collector
08-20-2001, 11:25 PM
The ring.....was my BIRTHDAY present.....:)

You guys dident like the Cartoon? Back in the day, I used to watch the cartoon of the hobbit EVERY SINGLE DAY!!. But those days are over, and my tape is long lost :(

I was hoping they would make a live-action movie of The Hobbit. I just seemed able to get more into that book than the rest of the LOTR series. I am dieing to see what Bilbo Baggins looks like in live-action. Heres hopeing they don't cut that part!

Sith Worm
08-21-2001, 11:53 AM
Collector they aren't cutting any of the Bilbo scenes and he looks great you can go to the IGN website and find all kinds of pictures of him! Can't wait till Dec. 19!

Three rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie,
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.

Lets all have a moment of silence and prey for dear Frodo.

Darth Cruel
08-23-2001, 01:51 AM
Just saw the second trailer for this flick...My God this movie is going to rock! I think Peter Jackson is the right man to have brought this story to the big screen. I saw a few of the videos that the official 'site has of him answering fan questions. There is some incredible insight there. For those of you who have seen the 2nd trailer...how intense is the scene when Gandalf asks Frodo if the ring is still secret and safe? That is a good example of how the book won't always be able to translate exactly to the screen. But Peter Jackson did it as well as it ever could have been done.

On another note. I have spoken to some people that I know who were in their late teens and early twenties during the chemically induced sexual revolution of the 60s and 70s. And I have heard that this story was so popular then that some groups of friends would call each other by the charater names from the book. And if they ran out of names for whatever reason...they would call each other Hobbit Brian, or Hobbit Lisa or Hobbit and whatever their name is. Let that be a lesson to all you would be drug-users. Keep that crap up and it could happen to you! :D

evenflow
08-23-2001, 08:40 AM
I am saying that the movie will rock. The trailers look awesome.

JediCole
08-24-2001, 02:04 PM
I remember reading a brief article on Ain't it Cool News months ago about how the Dungeons & Dragons people, close to completion of their film had approached the Lord of the Rings Saga people about concerns of the two films (both in the fantasy genre) causing undo harm to one another due to similar (hardly) themes. The two groups shared what they had produced to date and parted company agreeing that neither film's presence should hurt the other. I suspect that perhaps D&D was to have been released closer to Christmas than it was, hence the concerns. As it works out, D&D will be largely forgotton (thankfully) by the time LOTR is released. The real concern is how big a blow to the fantasy genre D&D could have delivered. But luckily LOTR will arrive to revive and revitalize the genre by showing that it can be done and done right.
Needless to say I can't wait! I know that Mrs. JediCole and I will be joining Sith Worm and the future Mrs. Sith Worm for at least one screening. I recently saw a shot of the Hobbits with humans in the same scene and my mind is still reeling!

bigbarada
08-25-2001, 12:02 AM
After watching the trailer like five times in a row, I think this movie will be nothing like the D&D embarrassment. I can honestly say I'm looking forward to this movie more than Ep2!!

Sith Worm
08-28-2001, 01:01 PM
Bring on the ring! I can't wait any longer! The cartoons are getting old I want me some live action Black Riders already! All I have left to say is Titantic, prepare to sink...
...uh, again!

"Frodo this path has been set before you it is your choice alone."

bigbarada
09-05-2001, 01:49 AM
I'm not starting this thread because I have any spoilers to share; I'm starting it because I want to hear some!!

I'm in the middle of reading the Fellowship of the Ring novel and am wondering just how much of this book will actually make it into the movie. Will we see Tom Bombadil? Any references to The Hobbit? I'm know we'll see Bilbo, but what about all the songs and poems?

Juicy gossip is all I crave.

Darth Cruel
09-05-2001, 11:22 PM
I am glad to pass along some of the info I have aquired.

1) No Tom Bombadil (this really stinks to me)

2) I believe that there MAY be a story added that refers back to The Hobbit when Bilbo found the Ring. I say that ONLY because on the 2nd trailer, there is a part where they show what appears to be a cave and you hear a hoarse voice come from it saying "My Precious". I don't like this either because I am hoping to see "The Hobbit" done as a movie when this one busts the block.

3) Arwen has an expanded role in FOTR, but I have seen no details yet.

4) Gollum appears to have a part in this movie, but I am hoping that it is no more than the very little he had in the book. He really wasn't even there except in Gandalf's and Aragorn's stories. He didn't hit the books with a big part until TTT.

5) The official 'site has some audios of interviews with Peter Jackson which have some great insight into the movie. Absolutely worth the time to check it out.

6) I haven't heard anything about the songs and poems...but can you have a LOTR (or a "The Hobbit") without them?

Hey! Tom! **! Tom!
Tom Bombadil-lo
Bright Blue his jacket is
And his boots are yellow!

I am looking forward to seeing more posts in this thread.

I can't believe that word got censored. For all curious it was a two letter word spelled with an "h" followed by an "o", you know..."oh" backwards.:)

bigbarada
09-05-2001, 11:53 PM
So I guess no Tom Bombadil means no Goldberry. In fact the entire trek throught The Old Forest probably won't happen either. Oh well, I guess they have to cut something to fit the story into a two-hour movie.

I too would love to see a movie made of The Hobbit. Hopefully, if LOTR does well, New Line will finance one.

I actually haven't finished reading the book, but in the trailer we see Frodo walking into a dark abandoned Hobbit-hole and a frazzled looking Gandalf surprising him from behind. Is this a scene I just haven't gotten to yet, or a case of creative liscense on the part of Peter Jackson?

Darth Cruel
09-06-2001, 06:05 PM
bigbarada - I am pretty sure that the dark, abandoned appearance of the hole is a very creatively liscenced Gandalf/Frodo at Frodo's hole. I wonder if "The Long Awaited Party" will be in the movie. I have scene nothing to indicate that it will be...But then, I have seen nothing indicating it won't be either.

I keep having to remind myself that it is perfectly normal and acceptable for the movie to NOT be exactly like the book. It is usualyy better that way anyway. It is actually having two different interpretations of the same story. It will be fun to explore the differences. I strongly wish there were a 'site like SSG for LOTR. There are some good 'sites. But I have yet to see one done to the depth that this one has been.

bigbarada
09-06-2001, 06:19 PM
That's fine. It's kind of like in the story itself. Little is ever written down as most history is told through songs and poems by word of mouth. Thus many different lands have many different interpretations of just how the events of the past played out.

However the trick is to compare all the different versions to try to come up with a sensible whole. By this measure of thinking, you could say there is no "definitive" version, just personalized versions.

Sith Worm
09-06-2001, 07:12 PM
Hello boys!

All I have heard all the same as Cruel, and them some! I to don't like the absence of Tom, I have heard that there will be plenty cut from the movie that doesn't move it along like Tom and Goldberry. The thing that really burns me is that Old man Willow is in the movie now then how will they escape good old Willow without Tom? Another that I have heard without ruining TTT is that "The departure of Boromir" will actually be in the end of Fellowship Mr. Jackson thought with this added it would make the movie's ending more of A cliffhanger. Though there is no Ugulk, but A creation of Peter's called "Lurtz" set out to find the fellowship! It is 'Lurtz" that is to do the doing to Boromir. I don;t fully understand this change.

I think the sences of Gollum will actually be in flashbacks. I think it would be neat if they showed some shots of him in Moria so that non-fans will know that he is there , even though we will already know it is him. I also can't wait to see Sam's "log with eyes!"

The sence in the last homely house of Elrond with his meeting and all will be cut short even though we will see Bilbo and the passing of the mlirth shirt and of course Sting!

In last all I have so say as long as we have the Nazgul I will be happy! Even though we will see A longer battle between Aragorn and the five at Weathertop, instead of just the waving about of fire and scaring them away. This change is fine with me I love the riders!

Anyways I hope I haven't ruined TTT for Big 'Ol Barada! Any more new news bring it on!

bigbarada
09-06-2001, 07:23 PM
Wow, I had no idea so much was being changed. This makes me a little apprehensive. Kind of like the way I felt when I started to see pictures of the X-men movie (which I found acceptable but not very good). I had seen pictures of Lurtz, but just figured he was a character I hadn't gotten to yet (I've just gotten to the part where they are trying to find the entrance to Moria).

Oh well, we'll just have to see. I guess, in the end, as long as it's a good movie then the changes will be warranted. Kind of like Jurassic Park, nothing like the book but a good movie in it's own right.

Here's to cautious optimism.

Darth Cruel
09-07-2001, 12:04 AM
WOW! Sith Worm - Some of that stuff is news to me as well. I guess I will have to accept the movies as a VERY LOOSE interpretation of the book. That doesn't bother me at all, though. As long as the movie is WELL MADE. I understand and can get behind any CL in the movie. In fact...I think I kinda like the Idea. We can see the the same story but without knowing what will happen next.:)

I very much enjoy watch the Peter Jackson interviews on the official 'site.

Straight from the horse's mouth (paraphrased) - There will only be a very small amount of the poetry and singing due to time constraints. And Peter Jackson will make a cameo appearance on the movie...he did not say what he would be doing. Personally...I think he would make a good Barliman.

Also, check this out, (taken from the official 'site):

To get an idea of the sheer scope of creating Middle-earth, consider the following numbers:

more than 900 suits of hand-made armor

more than 2,000 rubber and safety weapons

more than 100 special, hand-made weapons

more than 20,000 individual household and everyday items handmade by artisans

more than 1,600 pairs of prosthetic feet and ears, individually sized and shaped

those numbers should impress the most die-hard critics!

bigbarada
09-07-2001, 08:33 PM
Cool, I'd always assumed the scope of this movie would be huge. I just finished reading the Fellowship of the Ring novel. The character of Boromir totally took me by surprise! I immediately rushed to the website to see who they got to play him and was relieved. Sean Bean is an excellent actor who is totally capable of pulling off the scene near the end, if you've read the book you know which scene I'm talking about. I think I saw a fragment of it in the second trailer.

As for any changes to the story that occur in the movie, as long as the heart of the story remains unchanged I'll be happy.

Any word on the Balrog?

Don't worry about ruining TTT for me, Sith Worm, once I get a copy of it I'll be all over it like stink on.....well, you know.:D

Oh yeah, Gandalf's fate totally threw me for a loop also, but I suspect he'll be back.

Emperor Howdy
09-08-2001, 12:35 AM
bigbarada......ok..you want a spoiler? You sure?

Here it is:

"Gollum.....the Evil One...crept and slipped away with her-er...her-er...herrrrrrr, jeah."

Thank you...:p

evenflow
09-08-2001, 09:04 AM
I have to say that i never actually read the books, but the movie is looking good. I am looking forward to this trilogy coming out. It looks like a winner.

Rollo Tomassi
09-08-2001, 10:41 AM
I think Arwen is replacing the elf who helped Frodo escape the Dark Riders at the river. I for one won't miss Tom Bombadil that much. It was a little side adventure that didn't affect the whole of the quest (to destroy the ring in Mt. Doom) if anything was going to be dropped, i'm glad it was this and not something else. For this same reason, I suspect the return to Hobbit Country in the third movie/book will also be severely truncated. I mean after ***SPOILERS*** Sauron bites it, I thought the book just kind of kept meandering, and the climax of the trilogy had been reached and passed. but that's just me.

bigbarada
09-08-2001, 02:36 PM
Hey Rollo, they actually have cast Legolas' part, but it'd be cool if Arwen was the one to help them find Rivendell. I guess when these books were originally written (30s?) female leads in adventure stories were rare. I understand them having to beef up a female role in the story to try to appeal to a female audience. Plus I have absolutely no complaints about seeing more of Liv Tyler.;)

Now that I've finished the first book I can see how the Tom Bombadil sequence is a little unnecessary when you only have two hours to fill.

One more question, for now, Saruman is mentioned in the book, but never actually makes an appearance. I know they've cast Christopher Lee for Saruman, but will we see him only in flashbacks or will the whole story with him and Gandalf be like a parallel adventure that runs concurrently with Frodo's flight from the Shire?

bigbarada
09-09-2001, 03:31 AM
Speaking of Liv Tyler, you know she wakes up every morning and thanks the Good Lord that she didn't inheret any of her looks from her dad.:D :D :D

evenflow
09-09-2001, 08:54 AM
Liv Tyler is in the movie? Nicey nice, now I want to check it out even more. :D

Eternal Padawan
09-09-2001, 09:03 AM
I heard/read somewhere that Peter Jackson wanted to go back after the movies had "banked" and shoot extra stuff that had been left out of the films like the Tom Bombadil scenes and extended flashback sequences of Gandalf and Aragorn/Strider searching for Gollum. Then release (or rerelease) special DVD that are more faithful to the books and more complete. I think that would be cool if New Line lets him and the actors are cool with it...

bigbarada
09-10-2001, 08:58 PM
That would definitely be cool. So would making a movie based on The Hobbit (hint, hint).

I heard that Peter Jackson got only a $100 million budget for all three films. Geez that's small considering what they're trying to accomplish. That's only around $33 million a film!

Oh well, maybe if Fellowship does well enough New Line will spot them some more cash for the other two. Not that it really matters in the long run, since Peter Jackson seems to have the vision to pull these films off brilliantly.

Sith Worm
09-19-2001, 09:47 PM
Hey Barada!

I hate to tell you , but all three are already made they shot all three at once! Any ways I can't wait this wait is killing me! Oh, and by the way I don't know if Barada will be able to read this considering he is in the Army and might be away from computers for awhile! If you read this Barada let me know how it's going us Texas people got to stick together.

bigbarada
09-19-2001, 10:39 PM
I'm still here, for now. That's really all I'm allowed to say, considering this is an unsecured website.

I'd heard that all the principle photography was done back to back, but I'm guessing post-production on Fellowship is top priority right now. Man, I hope I'm still here when this movie comes out. Oh yeah, Ep2 too!:D

Sith Worm
09-24-2001, 01:29 AM
I can't wait for LOTR! I have this great urge to see the Rings so bad and for some reason not A big of an urge for Epi.II. I don't know why i'm just not that excited anymore for some reason I feel as if it has been cheapened by the title and all the clone madness does any feel the same? I bet as it gets closer I will get more pumped, but for now pretty dumped!

AmanaMatt
09-25-2001, 04:31 AM
Tom Bombadil, ultimately, is a very small part of the 'LOTR' as well as 'Fellowship'; his absence will not be hugely missed... that is not to say he will not be at least mentioned in the course of the movie.

This movie trilogy will be huge - Peter Jackson has such dedication in bring J.R.R Tolkien's vision to life that it will be very interesting to see his take on the Middle Earth universe. The newest trailer that ran during Angel was pretty awsome!

bigbarada
09-25-2001, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Sith Worm
I can't wait for LOTR! I have this great urge to see the Rings so bad and for some reason not A big of an urge for Epi.II. I don't know why i'm just not that excited anymore for some reason I feel as if it has been cheapened by the title and all the clone madness does any feel the same? I bet as it gets closer I will get more pumped, but for now pretty dumped!

I felt the same way about this time in 1998, I was ten times more excited about Legend of Zelda for the N64 than I was about Ep1. After having that game consume my entire life right up until January 1999, I began to look forward to the new Star Wars. However, it wasn't until I saw the trailer in March that I became really pumped about Ep1.

BTW, Sith Worm, what do you think of the LOTR action figures? I haven't seen them but my brother tells me they're terrible.:(

bigbarada
09-29-2001, 01:27 AM
Alright, I'm determined not to let this thread fade into the dreaded "second page!"

Well, there is a new Fellowship of the Rings trailer, which, how to put this nicely, is only the MOST INCREDIBLY AWESOME TRAILER I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, and Tolkien's surviving children want nothing to do with the movie. Mainly because of obsessed fans who seem to have trouble separating LOTR from reality. (kind of like some SW fans I know) Here's the article from theonering.net:

http://www.theonering.net/movie/scrapbook/large/1891

bigbarada
09-29-2001, 01:31 AM
Oh yeah, here's a picture of the lovely Liv Tyler who plays Arwen:

hubba!:D

Sith Worm
10-31-2001, 07:35 PM
Hello fare folk of the Star Wars fan community! I would like to talk about LOTR if you will all that have read the books that can shine some light on your hopes or fears on the up coming movies, please do. I wish to talk to fans of tolkien about this some say should have left it alone some say can't wait what is it that you say?

bigbarada
10-31-2001, 07:58 PM
What's up Sith Worm! I was having a little trouble keeping the old LOTR-Spoilers thread alive by myself, but no hard feeling.;)

Actually I can't wait for these movies and to see how they are translated to the big screen. I realize that some may be a little apprehensive of the changes being made, but that's normal when turning a book into a movie. From what I've seen, there is a lot from the books that is kept in place and I assume there is a good reason for any changes made (well at least I will give Peter Jackson the benefit of the doubt until I see all three films).

Look on the bright side, Tolkein is back in the limelight again not fading into obscurity on a library shelf somewhere. People who like the movie will be more likely to pick up the books; thereby starting the cycle of magic all over again.

JediCole
11-01-2001, 01:01 PM
Sith Worm's waxing and waning enthusiasm for the LOTR films certainly inspired me to read the novels. I am within a very few pages of finishing The Fellowship of the Ring, so at least he can stop biting his tongue to some degree, not wanting to spoil anything. I need to find a good used copy of The Two Towers so I can press forward before I find myself just not reading anything again. I am looking forward to the films, but not being a huge fan previously, I think I am better suited to watch them for what they are, rather than be disappointed by the changes that were made.
I cannot wait to see this on the big screen. From what I know of the cast so far, they couldn't have done a better job in the case of many of the characters. And having caught a glimpse of the Hobbits in a shot of them with humans and elves, I am trying to prepare myself for the brain-bending effect of seeing a group of actors who are probably not that much shorter or taller than anyone else in the picture, rendered to roughly one-half scale! If you have not seen such imagery, it really messes with your mind!

Sith Worm
11-01-2001, 04:34 PM
Hello to both you! I too can't wait for the 19th of December I just love these books so much and understand the book to movie changes that must be made , but these are books that can't be messed with to much! I can't wait to see the money this bad boy makes. I think it's got the potienal to sink the Titanic! Barada you don't live far from myself and Cole, think you can get away from the boys in green to meet up and watch A screening toghter?

Mandalorian Candidat
11-01-2001, 05:31 PM
Are the Tolkein books really that good? In high school it was only the twerps into D&D (I mean really into D&D) who read those books and went around talking about them. Of course I was a Star Wars geek, so whatever.

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie in December, but really don't have any interest in reading the first book beforehand. Maybe if the movie's really good I'll get a copy. Usually if I read the book before seeing the movie I get really let down because that old cliche is true. I read JP before the movie came out and thought the film version sucked hard.

Oh well, continue on and talk amongst yourselves. :)

Eternal Padawan
11-01-2001, 07:40 PM
Are the Tolkein books really that good? In high school it was only the twerps into D&D (I mean really into D&D) who read those books and went around talking about them. Of course I was a Star Wars geek, so whatever.

I would have to say...YES. Tolkein's literary masterpiece has been called the greatest book(and by book I mean the trilogy.) of the 20th century. It's full of rich characters and an intricately woven tale that spans decades. From watching the snippets of trailer footage, my heart leaps at how faithfully Peter Jackson has recreated Middle-Earth. This is going to be a contender for second greatest movie trilogy of all time. The OT has the top spot no matter what.;)

Mandalorian Candidat
11-01-2001, 07:45 PM
So where does the Hobbit fit into everything? Is it something like a prequel?

"My precious..."

master jedi
11-01-2001, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
So where does the Hobbit fit into everything? Is it something like a prequel?

"My precious..."

The Hobbit is the prelude to The Lord of the Rings.

bigbarada
11-01-2001, 08:18 PM
Hello to both you! I too can't wait for the 19th of December I just love these books so much and understand the book to movie changes that must be made , but these are books that can't be messed with to much! I can't wait to see the money this bad boy makes. I think it's got the potienal to sink the Titanic! Barada you don't live far from myself and Cole, think you can get away from the boys in green to meet up and watch A screening toghter?

It would have to be after New Years, as I've agreed to house-sit for my brother while he and his family fly to Pennsylvania for the Holidays. I do have long overdue business to take care of in the Ft. Hood/Killeen area, how far away are you guys from there?

Brave Sir Robin
11-03-2001, 09:59 PM
I really wanna see this movie when it comes out. There were free posters and bookmarks in my schools library today, and my roomate snagged some for our room. heh heh. The action figures that they showed in ToyFare look pretty damn sweet too. Can't wait for it! Probly the one movie I want to see almost as much as Episode 2.

master jedi
11-03-2001, 11:59 PM
The new Lord of the Rings trailer was attached to 'The One' and it got my brother-in-law excited about it. That's a good thing considering he doesn't care for movies like this.

Brave Sir Robin
11-04-2001, 06:27 PM
This guy Seth and I were arguing about Lord of the Rings. He said that he thought that the filmmakers would mess it up and would not be true to everyone's vision of the book. I really don't think they would, just because the Middle Earth universe is a world that means so much to so many people, and if the filmmakers screw it up, they will have 50 million angry Tolkien fans to anwer to. I think the film looks like it will be really good.

Sith Worm
11-06-2001, 07:33 PM
Hello boys! Mandalorian Candidat all I have to say is read them and you will see. Do not read the books before you see the movie yes you will be let down very much so! The movies may be good, but the books are ten times better. Peter has to cut a ton out ,but the movies should still be very good! As for Barada we live Miles from Ft. Worth if that helps any. Give me an e-mail Sithlordchris@yahoo.com and give you better locations. Oh, and Mandalorian Candidat the only reason DD is around is because of Tolkien and I must say DD doesn't come any were near the Lord of The Rings! Robin you don't happen to have any of those poster or book marks left over do you?:)

ThomasLane
11-11-2001, 11:12 PM
This is the only movie I'm looking forward to even more than Ep.2. I've read LOTR (the whole trilogy) at least 3 times, and the director is definitely going to have to cut a lot out to make "Fellowship" fit into a 2 (or even 3) hour movie. Have any of you heard the BBC radio program? The first book takes about 9 hours, and they still left off the whole "Bombadil" story. There are going to be plenty of die-hard Tolkien fans that cry "foul", but that's going to happen with any movie based on a book. Anyone remember the reaction to Dune when it came out? Herbert fans hated it because it was a lot different than the book. Then the Sci-Fi channel version (which was nearly identical in plot and dialogue to the book) still sucked. At the very least, "Fellowship" is going to be awesome for the visuals. If the acting is good and the story isn't monkeyed with too much, it will probably be one of the best movies ever.

BTW - If you're thinking of watching the recently re-released "Lord of the Rings" or "Return of the King" animated movies, DON'T. They just plain suck and they will ruin the story for those of you who don't already know it. DO see (or read) "The Hobbit" though.

browndroid
11-19-2001, 01:37 PM
yeah the movie should be really good..........i hate to admitt it but if ep2 is at all like ep1 then i would rather see lotr........:rolleyes:

Sith Worm
11-19-2001, 07:48 PM
Brownie check out dumped not pumped on the spoiler section I take babk everthing I had ever said about SW. after seeing the breathing trailer I am more pumped than ever. Even though I can't wait to see LOTR...

browndroid
11-19-2001, 09:46 PM
Brownie check out dumped not pumped on the spoiler section I take babk everthing I had ever said about SW. after seeing the breathing trailer I am more pumped than ever. Even though I can't wait to see LOTR...

oooooooook

browndroid
11-19-2001, 09:51 PM
ummm is that ep2 spoiler? cause i just checked that and didnt see it............:confused:

Sith Worm
11-20-2001, 06:53 PM
Uh Brownie omit what I said, I thought I was in another thread and I agree LOTRs ought to be good...:crazed:

Wolfwood319
11-20-2001, 07:38 PM
Actually, they didn't cut out as much as most people think. Thanks to some of my friends who work at GW, I got to see the first Fellowship trailer, and after that, they had a New Line rep there, and he said the movie is more than 3 1/2 hours long.

The screenwriters and directors kept almost everything in, just condensed some parts, and changed characters around, thats about it.

Sith Worm
11-22-2001, 10:02 AM
To die hard fans as myself the changing around of characters is the part that ticks us off, I just hope the Ents are in TT...

Wolfwood319
11-22-2001, 02:23 PM
The ents are going to be in it, they're cgi, and John Rhys-Davis(sp?) is going to be the voice of treebeard.

As much as it would have been nice to see a direct translation of the book, some things had to be changed. The only thing I didn't like was the what they did with Arwen, I thought she should've been downplayed, and appearently in post-production, they did take a lot of her scenes out, to make it more like the book.

Sith Worm
11-24-2001, 02:23 PM
Great about the Ents Wolf, the Arwen thing sucks so bad the whole Arwen and Frodo across the ford thing has brought me much grief and A lot of threads on this website so I will say no more except that the expanded Arwen role sucks...

ThomasLane
11-28-2001, 11:39 AM
I heard the film is going to be 178 minutes (that's 2 minutes short of 3 hours for the mathematically challenged). I think that should be enough time to do justice to the book.

As for the whole Arwen thing? Well, we'll have to see how it all plays out. I, for one, am not going to miss "Glorfindel".

BTW - The Ents have to be in the second movie. I can't fathom not including them, as they are a major part of the story.

Darth Cruel
11-28-2001, 07:25 PM
I have been following the production of this movie for well over a year now. There are a lot of stories about who and what will be cut and added to the movie and whether these deletions/additions will make or break the movie. I look at it like this. I read the 4 books (The Hobbit is NOT a prelude, LOTR is the sequel) for the first time 20 years ago when I was 16. I have read them about once every 2 years since. I love the story and the original will always be my favorite version, but I look at the movie as a new perspective of a great story. Much like I enjoy a joke when I hear a different version of one I find particularly funny.

The stories abound about Arwen's supposed expanded role. I believe there is a hint to that effect on the production website. But I also read a write-up in Entertainment Magazine which quoted a producer as saying that her role is not expanded. I will hold my opinion of whether it is or isn't and whether it does or doesn't hurt the movie until I see it. 21 days left.

Everyone agrees that Tom Bombadil has been cut and I do not disagree with that choice at all. If you read the book you will read descriptions of a world of bright colors and fantastical characters. Tom is one of the best examples of that in his constant singing and dancing around and the very discription of him in his song..."Hey Tom! merry Tom! Tom Bombadill-o! Bright blue his jacket is and his boots are yellow!" (This is NOT perfectly quoted, but relays the general idea). Now, if you have seen the trailer, you see a very dark, serious mood being relayed. Tom's brightly colored cheeriness obviously can't translate as well to that as a Hobbit-hole and Elrond's house do. Even the ridiculous stupidity of the orcs has been changed to serious cruelty. To include a main character, "Lurtz" who wasn't even in the book.

Anyway...my advice to everyone is to NOT expect the movie to be exactly like the book. No movie ever has been or will be. Not perfectly. Just enjoy it for the piece of cinematic magic it may end up being.

And don't buy the figures!!! I have some and they are a huge disappointment. They ALL have stupid lever gimicks and poorly made accessories. The sculpt is the only thing good about them.

Sith Worm
11-28-2001, 08:32 PM
Cruel very good points the thing that bothers me the most about Arwen is the ford scene, agree with you Thomas about Glory boy he was kinda a fairy and small part, but he doesn't carry Frodo horse back away from the riders. If this is the only thing I can find wrong i'm A happy camper! Cruel I like the darkness of the movie the thing thats great is the next one is even darker a story. O.K. I just sall A comercial for the movie and low and behold 'Arwen the elf" is the focal point of the trailer oh well. She has to have some kind of back story for the ending. Cruel question, whats up with the pictures of Elrond I have seen? This has got to be A flashback or something, do you know? Oh, and yes Tom is A fairy no problems here not like he moved the story along or anything...

Darth Cruel
11-29-2001, 10:08 AM
Sith Worm - If you mean Elrond's youthful/human appearance, I was a little confused myself so I went back and reread his description in the book. And based on that I guess they did a good job on his look considering the change to the darker mood of the story. He is supposed to be very old, and mostly human, but his Elvish ancestry has given him great longevity and the youthful appearance.

Also...I have been thinking about the Arwen/Frodo/ford scene and I think I am going to enjoy that change. It seems to me that it will show Frodo to be more gravely wounded than he was in the book and it will allow for more character developement for Arwen that may otherwise not be possible because of her limited appearance in the book and Keep in mind if I remember correctly...

SPOILER ALERT...If you want the third movie to be a surprise...skip this section to the "End Spioler Alert" message.

She is the one who kills the Ringwraith Captain oin the end.

END SPOILER ALERT

So her character developement is crucial. GOD I LOVE THIS STORY!!!

Sith Worm
11-30-2001, 06:46 PM
Cruel,

Spoiler alert,

Eowyn the lady of Rohan is the one whom kills the nazgul leader, I really hope that she is not replaced with Arwen. She can't though becouse then you lose the whole hes in love with Arwen and then Eowyn falls in love with farimir the brother of the late Boromir. Who knows what 'ol Peter will do. Arwen does need more screen time so that when she marries Aragorn, nobody says whos this chick? I messed up on my Elrond question, the pictures I was asking about were the ones of him in battle with A huge army. Have you seen these? Good points on the Arwen dept though, she never actually ever partakes in any battle.

Did you see the 30 min spiecal last night on Fox...

...sweet! I can't wait. 18 more days! Bring on the Ring...

Rollo Tomassi
12-01-2001, 02:51 AM
They cast both Eowyn and Farimir so that part will probably remain faithful to the books...at one point Ethan Hawke was to play Faramir and Uma Thurman was to play Eowyn, but they went with some australian blokes I think...

bigbarada
12-01-2001, 06:10 PM
I just bought the LOTR soundtrack today and I must say it's awesome. Exactly the kind of music I had always pictures for the story.

Has anyone picked up any of those BK goblets, the ones that light up? For some reason all the BKs in my area are completely sold out of the Frodo goblet. BUt they have tons of the other three. I really like them, finally a fast food exclusive that isn't a cheap piece of crap.

master jedi
12-01-2001, 09:44 PM
I went to a Burger King and bought one of each toy and goblet they had any they were practically calling me a freak. I havent had that done since. The Ep.1 restaurant cup exclusives.

Sith Worm
12-02-2001, 10:07 AM
Rollo good to here about Eoywn and Farimir those two would have sucked in my opinion the cups are sold out in my town too...

Rollo Tomassi
12-02-2001, 11:49 AM
Miranda Otto is Eowyn. The only thing I can think off the top of my head that she was in was The Thin Red Line. She played the wife who divorced Ben Chaplin's character that was always upside down on the swing in those weird Terrence Malick camera shots.

David Wenham is playing Faramir. Him I have no idea about.

Bernard Hill (the Captain on the Titanic) is playing old Theoden, too.

Also. mapquest.com has this fun little program running with a map of Middle Earth for those of you die hard fans who want to go over and check it out...

Sith Worm
12-03-2001, 10:46 PM
Thanks Rollo for the info. I got A Strider cup today and picked up the Arwen/Frodo toy with the horse i'm learning to live with Arwen after all how hard is it to look at Liv...

bigbarada
12-03-2001, 11:53 PM
I bought the soundtrack the other day and, as Ep1 showed us, you can learn a lot about a film based on it's track titles. So here they are:

1. The Prophecy
2. Concerning Hobbits
3. The Shadow of the Past
4. The Treason of Isengard
5. The Black Rider
6. At the Sign of the Prancing Pony
7. A Knife in the Dark
8. Flight to the Ford
9. Many Meetings
10. The Council of Elrond (featuring Aniron-theme for Aragorn and Arwen)
11. The Ring Goes South
12. A Journey in the Dark
13. The Bridge of Khazad Dum
14. Lothlorien
15. The Great River
16. Amon Hen
17. The Breaking of the Fellowship
18. May it Be

Now, I've noticed many of these are chapter titles straight out of the Fellowship novel. However, the one that interests me is 'The Treason of Isengard.' That is the title to Book 2 of Christopher Tolkien's 'History of LOTR' series (The War of the Ring was Book 1).

A flashback scene maybe?

Sith Worm
12-04-2001, 07:40 PM
Biggin' it's probably the scene were Saruman takes Gandalf captive and when he creates the army of man-orcs (Lurtz) thats my guess. By the way the soundtrack is pretty cool, is that the guy that made the soundtrack to Braveheart?...

bigbarada
12-04-2001, 08:24 PM
James Horner did the soudtrack to Braveheart along with many other films, including Titanic and Glory. I've never actually heard of Howard Shore before, but his work on the LOTR soundtrack is excellent. I'd probably compare it to Basil Poledouris' work on the Conan: The Barbarian soundtrack.

Darth Cruel
12-04-2001, 08:26 PM
Sith Worm - Thanks for the correction on the Eowyn/Arwin thing. I get so excited about this movie I don't think straight.

Sith Worm
12-04-2001, 09:22 PM
I'm glad someone else does too Cruel, thanks Biggin' yeah it's great! I think your only an hour or so away from me and Cole so if you still want to meet up for A showing i'm game...

Wolfwood319
12-05-2001, 11:41 AM
Here is an interesting thing I heard from a friend of mine that works at a GW.

He said he saw an exclusive preview for LOTR for the upcoming LOTR GW game, and he was told that the movie ends approximately when Gandalf says "You will not pass!" (to the oncoming horde of orcs, trolls, and the balrog).

Its been a while since I've read Fellowship, but where is that particular scene in reference to the end of the actual book. After that, does the rest of the Fellowship make it to the river, have the Boromir mishap, and then attacked by orcs? Or is there something else between the 2 scenes?

bigbarada
12-05-2001, 11:49 AM
One of the tracks on the CD is titles "The Breaking of the Fellowship" which takes place after the groups' journey through Lothlorien. They go to Loth just after exiting Moria and Gandalf uttering that line.

The thing with Boromir doesn't happen until The Two Towers, but I've heard that it is added into Fellowship.

That scene is near the end of Fellowship but it is definitely not the end of the book. They'd be cutting a lot out if they ended it there.

Wolfwood319
12-05-2001, 11:59 AM
I thought Boromir steals the ring from Frodo, takes off, Frodo catches up with him, Boromir gives the ring back, and Frodo and Sam take off? Isn't that the very end of Fellowship? Then in the Two Towers we see at the very beginning, Boromir fighting off the orcs to save Merry and Pippin.

Also, did anyone see Christopher Lee on the FOX special last week? Creepy Creepy Creepy. Man is that guy scary.:stupid:

Also, have any of you seen the kids toys at Burger King? For a happy meal pack in, they are pretty darn neat.

bigbarada
12-05-2001, 12:13 PM
Frodo goes away to think near the end of Fellowship and Boromir goes after him. There he begins to try to convince Frodo to go with him and use the ring to help defend his people. Frodo refuses, Boromir loses his temper and jumps at Frodo. Frodo then puts on the ring and vanishes. He stays invisible and Boromir, realizing what he's done goes back to the rest of the group. Once they all discover that Frodo disappeared they, for all intents and purposes, panic and all go running off trying to find him. Meanwhile, Frodo decides that he has to journey to Mordor alone, he takes a boat but Sam second guesses him. When Sam sees a boat floating away without anyone in it he puts two and two together and goes after Frodo.

Rollo Tomassi
12-05-2001, 02:37 PM
www.imdb.com hs the following list:

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, The (2003)
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, The (2002)
Spider (2002)
Panic Room, The (2002)
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The (2001)
Score, The (2001)
Camera (2000/I)
Cell, The (2000)
Esther Kahn (2000) ... aka eSTheR KaHN (2000) (France: poster title)
Yards, The (2000)
High Fidelity (2000)
Dogma (1999)
Analyze This (1999)
eXistenZ (1999) ... aka eXistenZ (1999) (France)
Gloria (1999)
Game, The (1997)
Cop Land (1997)
That Thing You Do! (1996)
Looking for Richard (1996)
Striptease (1996)
Crash (1996) ... aka Crash (1996) (France)
Truth About Cats & Dogs, The (1996)
Before and After (1996)
White Man's Burden (1995)
Moonlight and Valentino (1995)
Se7en (1995)
Client, The (1994)
Nobody's Fool (1994)
Ed Wood (1994)
Philadelphia (1993)
Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)
"Late Night with Conan O'Brien" (1993) TV Series (main title theme)
M. Butterfly (1993)
Guilty as Sin (1993)
Sliver (1993) ... aka Sliver - Gier der Augen (1993)
Prelude to a Kiss (1992)
Single White Female (1992)
Naked Lunch (1991)
Kiss Before Dying, A (1991)
Silence of the Lambs, The (1991)
"Scales of Justice" (1990) TV Series (episodes "Regina vs Logan (1990)", "Regina vs Horvath (1990)")
Made in Milan (1990)
Lemon Sisters, The (1990)
Local Stigmatic, The (1989)
Signs of Life (1989) ... aka One for Sorrow, Two for Joy (1989)
She-Devil (1989)
Innocent Man, An (1989)
Moving (1988)
Dead Ringers (1988)
Big (1988)
Heaven (1987)
Nadine (1987)
Fire with Fire (1986) ... aka Captive Hearts (1986)
Fly, The (1986)
After Hours (1985)
Nothing Lasts Forever (1984)
Videodrome (1983)
Scanners (1981) ... aka Telepathy 2000 (1981)

bigbarada
12-05-2001, 09:15 PM
Cool, thanks Rollo! I'm going to have to check out a few of those.

Although seeing the listing of The Two Towers scheduled for 2002, makes me think of something. Do you think some people are going to think this is a movie about the WTC? Probably not since the LOTR logo remains fairly prominent; however, I do hope that New Line doesn't second guess themselves and try to change the title in an attempt to be PC.

Wolfwood319
12-05-2001, 09:25 PM
You know, I never even thought of that until now. I think they won't change it. There have been advertisements for the whole trilogy, with the name Two Towers, after Sep. 11th, so they haven't changed it yet.

Does anyone know who Agent Smith from the Matrix plays in LOTR? I forgot the actors real name off hand.

Also, they rereleased the Tolkien Encyclopedia. I was at Borders today, and saw it. This thing has been out of print for some time now, but its back. I strongly recommend it to any Tolkien fan, especially those who have never read the history of ME series and want a condensed version.

bigbarada
12-05-2001, 11:03 PM
Hugo Weaving is the guy from The Matrix and he is playing Elrond in LOTR.

Rollo Tomassi
12-05-2001, 11:50 PM
Hugo Weaving was also the dog in "Babe" :D

ThomasLane
12-06-2001, 12:33 PM
Have any of you read any on-line reviews on the movie? I've found three reviews so far (from people that got to see a pre-screening). The consensus is that the first hour is just a little slow, until the hobbits get out of the Shire, and it takes off from there. They all mentioned that it was a "guy-movie" (dark mood, quite a bit of violence, and not much mushy stuff). The effects are supposed to put ILM to shame. There was also high praise for the acting (especially Sean Bean, Viggo Mortensen, Ian McEllan, and Christopher Lee). One reviewer who had never read the books thought it might be a contender for a "Best Picture" Oscar!

I've been a Tolkien fan for a long time, and was preparing myself for a let-down, even after seeing those amazing trailers. But after reading the reviews, I don't think it will disappont. I've already got my tickets, and while my kids count down the days until Christmas, I'm counting the days until LOTR.

P.S. I don't think this has been answered yet, but the whole "Elrond in battle" thing is supposedly some sort of flash-back shot, as is the shot of Sauron wearing his ring.

Wolfwood319
12-06-2001, 01:17 PM
I, quite frankly, was expecting this to be one of the best movies of the year, if not of all time. The actors, directors, and production people went through a lot of hard work to make sure it was the best it possibly could be. They had the source material and stayed as close to that as possible.

The cast looks amazing and the visuals look to blow SW out of the water. I've been looking forward to this movie for years now, and this is the most I've ever looked forward to a movie.

I seriously think we have a true classic on our hands here.

Wolfwood319
12-10-2001, 05:13 AM
Just thought I'd bump this back into recognition.

Is anyone collecting the toys? Which ones are you having trouble finding? I think the 6'' line is done really quite well. For the most part, I haven't seen a figure I wouldn't mind getting.

ThomasLane
12-11-2001, 04:11 PM
I've purchased the four hobbits and Gandalf. For the price, they seem to be pretty good. While I usually frown on rubber accessories, the rubber work quite well on these figures. They suffer from a lack of posability. They have been difficult to find around here (Utah). The only common figures are the orcs, Gimli, and Legolas.

I heard the movie was released last weekend in the UK. Have any of you UK seen it yet? I'd like to hear some objective reviews from people who have extremely high hopes like me.

bigbarada
12-12-2001, 11:52 PM
I've read a couple of reviews from here in the States; one from Newsweek and one from Entertainment Weekly. Both gave the movie an outstanding review! Which is cool because both reviewers claimed to know nothing about LOTR and fantasy before going in to the movie; and considering how hard it is to get non-fantasy people to like a fantasy film, that's pretty good.

Although I would like to hear some reviews from lifetime Tolkien fans just to see if they think the movie did the story any justice.

Ahhh, the heck with it. In six days I can make up my own mind!:D

Wolfwood319
12-13-2001, 03:30 AM
That seems to be the general impression that I got. All critics who had little or no knowlege of the books going into the film said it was outstanding. Best picture calibur. Yet I haven't heard anything from Tolkien fans who've seen the movie.

I honestly can't wait. Less than 1 week to go....

Sith Worm
12-13-2001, 03:50 PM
Wolf, about the toys the only one I can't find is Strider, but i'm sure he will pop up after the movie comes out. There will have to be more waves so they can get the Gollum fig out they can't put it out because of the big secrect of what he looks like along with Balrog! Even though I found A German website that had ruff CGI pics of both of them in A word "Wicked" I think Gollum is what pushes it over the PG-13 rating if you have seen any of the trailers he is on there for A real quick flash the guy with the real beedy eyes thats kinda grins then it goes black. Six more days my friends six more days...

bigbarada
12-13-2001, 06:33 PM
You can't just tease us like that Sith Worm. Can you post a link to the pictures?:crazed:

Sith Worm
12-13-2001, 06:45 PM
Sorry Biggin' i've tried to find that website a million times ,but can't ever find it again after all it was in German. Maybe if I could speak German I could find it again! Take my word though it was bad*** the Balrog has these two horns that come out from his cheek bones totally friggin' cool...

bigbarada
12-13-2001, 06:48 PM
Arrrrrrgh!!! You're just making it worse!!!! STOP!!!:stupid:

Anyway, it's only five days away so I guess I can hold out that long.

Sith Worm
12-13-2001, 07:11 PM
You can't wait that long!:crazed: I'm uh searchin' right now trying to find it for ya...

Sith Worm
12-13-2001, 07:34 PM
:crazed: check this out Biggin' exclusive Nazgul pic...:

bigbarada
12-13-2001, 07:39 PM
"When not carrying out the wishes of an evil, deranged madman seeking world domination, we like to relax with a pack of Newports. Mmmmmmm, love that smoooooth flavor.":D :crazed:

Sith Worm
12-13-2001, 07:44 PM
Sorry about the post padding, but I don't want Biggin' to go crazy well here you go...

bigbarada
12-13-2001, 07:50 PM
Awesome!!! I was hoping they wouldn't go too far from the design in the cartoon or go overboard on his look trying to make him too scary. He looks great!! Thanks, Sith Worm!!:D

Sith Worm
12-13-2001, 07:52 PM
Biggin', Newports? Come on these are then nine human men doomed to die unwillingly fullfulling the every command of the Dark lord, they aren't smokin Newports more like filterless Lucky strikes!...

bigbarada
12-13-2001, 08:11 PM
Or dried grass wrapped in newspaper.:D

Wolfwood319
12-13-2001, 10:07 PM
I got in late on the convo, sorry.

That Gollum pic looks awesome. But I want to see the BALROG!!!!! Sithworm, the pic you saw, did he have wings? What was he doing? I can't wait:crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

The TRU near my got some new shipments in of both fig series, as well as the boxed Dark Rider with Horse. Oh man, that is one sweet, I bought 3 of them. Its the first time I've seen these in the stores, if you see one, I highly recommend it.

Also, there is supposedly a 10'' Cave Troll figure that comes with a Moria Diorama piece, that looks cool as well.

EDIT:

I just found this over at Rollingstone.com;

The film critic overthere released his top 10 movies of the year and the number one spot was...Lord of the Rings. He went on to say how it was the best movie of the year, blah, blah, blah, and how it was a change to see a sure-fire box office smash that is actually good.

Other mentions, 2. Ali, 5. Shrek, 10. Ocean's 11.

Shrek and Ocean's 11 are probably my 2nd and 3rd favorite movies of the year, and I'm really looking forward to Ali, which I have high hopes for.

Rollo Tomassi
12-14-2001, 12:09 PM
Ugh...Peter Travers couldn't critique his way out of a paper bag. I'm not saying LOTR isn't excellent, but I wouldn't take Travers advice on any film. Notice how his top two films are the ones he saw most recently? How odd...

Sith Worm
12-14-2001, 03:53 PM
Wolf, I have to dig up the Balrog pic, and for your info yes he has wings and he is also covered in flames!

ThomasLane
12-17-2001, 12:15 PM
Only two more days! I haven't been this excited about a movie since Ep.1.

Wolfwood319
12-17-2001, 02:38 PM
Oh Yeah!!!

I got my tickets for the 12 and 6:30 showings right here. I just reread Fellowship over the weekend, just to psych myself up a little more.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy....

This could possibly become my favorite film (series) of all time.

I can't wait, its gonna be smooth as butter'

You know what else goes down smooth, chocolate pudding. Man does that go down smooth.

BTW, I just picked up a BK toy set for $20, and I'm hoping to get the display case as well. I'll have nowhere to put it, but at least I'll have it.:D

Rollo Tomassi
12-17-2001, 06:07 PM
You reread it OVER THE WEEKEND?!?! I started rereading it two weeks ago and I just got to Rivendell... So i think more than just Tom bambadil is gonna get cut. The meeting with the elves in the shire, and the finding of the stone trolls will probably get the heav-h0 also. And that's just the stuff i've read...

But as for being excited...YOU BET! Only 31 hours left for me, because I get to watch it at midnite!!! WHOO HOO!!!

bigbarada
12-17-2001, 08:21 PM
I just saw the LOTR "Movie Guide" at Wal-Mart and they showed a picture of what looks like a petrified troll. So maybe the scene where they stumble upon the the stone trolls is in the film. Hopefully it means we might be seeing The Hobbit made into a film after the trilogy is done.

Wolfwood319
12-18-2001, 12:19 AM
Stone Trolls are in. Tom, Crickhollow, Fatty, and Barrow-Wights are out. That's about it. I think the Hobbits meet the elves in the shire, but only briefly. They don't spend the night with them.

Flashback scenes involving Gandalf and Sauron are shown in real time instead of being described later. The Hobbits go directly from the shire to bree to weathertop.

And chocolate pudding still goes down smooth.

Sith Worm
12-18-2001, 06:36 PM
6 1/2 hours baby! Bring on the Ring! I can't belive it finally here at last at last! I'm gonna start up another thread in the genral section so everyone can post there about how much they love this bad a** movie this ones gotten A bit long! 72 posts not bad not bad, see you all in the " How much did you love the Lord of the Rings movie?"

master jedi
12-19-2001, 04:26 PM
I went to see LotR at the midnight showing last night. You won't be disappointed if you go see it..

Sith Worm
12-20-2001, 02:10 AM
Not at all, not at all...

Eternal Padawan
04-20-2002, 09:13 AM
Well, all this talk of Sinking the Titanic seemed premature didn't it? It didn't even catch up to Harry Potter's $315 million mark, although it was close with $305-310 mil. Still, LOTR:FOTR has been playing for 16 weeks straight now. That's almost unheard of in today's high turnover environment.

So who thinks AOTC will top (in terms of revenue) TPM? Will AOTC top FOTR? Will TTT top FOTR or AOTC? Your thoughts...

Eternal Padawan
04-20-2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
That would definitely be cool. So would making a movie based on The Hobbit (hint, hint).

I heard that Peter Jackson got only a $100 million budget for all three films. Geez that's small considering what they're trying to accomplish. That's only around $33 million a film!

Oh well, maybe if Fellowship does well enough New Line will spot them some more cash for the other two. Not that it really matters in the long run, since Peter Jackson seems to have the vision to pull these films off brilliantly.

They ended up spending $350 mill for all three (so far). That $350 mil goes a lot farther in NZ than in the U.S. $350 mil US dollars is like $1 billion NZ cash.

The Hobbit!! Yes Who would you pick to play al the main roles?

I think Ian Holm could still pull off Bilbo. He was 50 by the time he went off on the adventure, so Ian is just about the right age. And he has the acting chops to make the character interesting, plus it would make continuity between the films better.

If Ian Mckellan doesn't want to play Gandalf again, I think Patrick Stewart would be excellent in the role.

For some reason, when I read the Hobbit recently, I kept seeing James Earl Jones as Beorn. He has a hulking joviality that can turn dark and menacing if he needs to.

I can see Sean Connery playing Bard. or Thorin Oakenshield. Both roles would be intriguing to see him in. But Bard is more of a supporting role, which I think Sean would go for.

There's no reason why Hugo Weaving couldn't reprise the role of Elrond for the brief time he is on screen.

Can't think of anybody outstanding to play all the dwarves. 13 is a lot of characters to cast. Smaug's Voice also needs a strong recognizable person to play it.

What are your thoughts, Tolkein fans?

Eternal Padawan
04-20-2002, 10:35 AM
Here it is four months later and LOTR is still playing strong. I'm amazed and delighted that this is still filling seats these many, many weeks later. It kind of sucks that it lost the Best Picture statue to Beautiful Mind. The new Two Towers trailer is awesome and I am super excited for both versions of the DVD in August and November, and the releases of the second film this coming Christmas.

Dar' Argol
04-20-2002, 03:09 PM
I merged the 3 threads and moved them here. There was no need to have 3 similar threads running around. There's too much craziness here already.

Sith Worm
04-27-2002, 01:26 PM
Eternal one they should get Jon Houston for the voice of Smaug! Again...

Eternal Padawan
06-26-2002, 10:02 AM
hey! Does anyone know how to change attachments from one format to another? I have a bmp of the new Two Towers poster and can't get it into another format to show you guys...

DeadEye
06-26-2002, 10:50 AM
I still haven't seen LOTR. Is it any good?

bigbarada
06-26-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
hey! Does anyone know how to change attachments from one format to another? I have a bmp of the new Two Towers poster and can't get it into another format to show you guys...

That's easy, open up the file in Paint then click 'Save As' and make sure to select .jpg instead of .bmp then hit OK.:)

And yes, Deadeye, the movie is incredible. In fact you can easily find many people on these boards who think it is ten times better than Ep2 (like me, for instance, and I loved Ep2).:happy:

JediTricks
06-27-2002, 10:08 PM
DeadEye, I finally saw it earlier this week, thankfully in a theater. While it could DEFINITELY use an intermission midway at its 3-hour run time (make sure you have comfortable seats), I think the film is engrossing and entertaining. It doesn't make you pick and hunt for too many background details, instead giving a lot of focus and "realism" to the foreground stuff.

DeadEye
08-19-2002, 12:02 AM
Yeah!
I just rented the DVD...although all they had was the fullscreen version. :frus: I must say, it was a damn good movie, but I don't understand what the hell the big deal is! Its most obvious merits are:
-3 really good fight scenes (the very beginning, the bit in the mines, and the bit at the end in the forest)
-Good special effects that aren't blatantly obvious digital composites
-Epic, large-scale scenes and environments
-Good acting!

It was a nice, long movie, but that worked both for and against it. Granted, I'm glad it wasn't some 90-minute romp, but those 3 hours were reaaaaally long, given that the fight scenes, while well-done, were few and far between.

Beast
08-19-2002, 12:25 AM
Yes, thanks so much for starting a new thread so you could state your uninformed opinion to the forums. Gee, that's somthing new, hmm? For starters, what do you mean you don't understand what the big deal was? Shall we start off with the fact that it's a highly respected series of novels that pretty much started an intrested in Fantasy. As well as inspiring huge numbers of people to embrace fantasy, and some to even write their own. :rolleyes:

Do you realize how long those books are, and why it was necissary for them to make the movies 3 hours long. It's called charecter development. Any movie can just introduce charecters and throw them into a situation. LOTR's actually has an entire history. God, sometimes I feel sad for the MTV/Video Game generation because all they want is battles, bullets, and buckets o' blood. :frus: :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
08-19-2002, 12:30 AM
You couldn't have just posted in one of the pre-existing LOTR threads?:confused:

Anyway, glad you saw it and glad you like it, for the most part. Why is it a big deal? Well, unless you read the books, then you will never really know.

All that space between the fight scenes is what many of us like to refer to as "story." Movies aren't just a series of fight/battle scenes with a whisper thin plot to string them all together. In LOTR the story takes precedence over the battles. For that, I am eternally grateful to Peter Jackson for restoring my faith in the movie medium.

Anyway, if you want big battles, then just wait for The Two Towers. FOTR was the setup for the war that will engulf the next two films.

scruffziller
08-19-2002, 07:01 AM
Yea these stories have been around way before Dungeons and Dragons. In fact was most likely the foundation of it!!!! I love the series simply because it made what the D&D movie should have been like. Dang that movie was a cheesy disgrace (D&D), but you still want to watch it.:D

Pendo
08-19-2002, 07:30 AM
I prefer the story to battles in movies, and I'm sure when you get older DeadEye you'll look more at the story than the action.
I thought it was a GREAT film, my 2nd favourite after the Star Wars Saga. And although I haven't read any of the books I understand why it has to be a 3 hour film and the importance of the film and books to the fans.

PENDO!

bigbarada
08-19-2002, 10:48 AM
Hey, scruffziller, the first part of your sig line was never more relevant.:D

In case you didn't know, DeadEye, LOTR inspired many things that we take for granted. Tolkien's influence can be seen everywhere in our culture. From Led Zeppelin, Yes and Phish music to Beatles films (the movie Help! was a tongue in cheek adaption of LOTR) to video games (Myst, Riven, Zelda) to role-playing games (D&D) to movies (Star Wars). So show a little respect.

DeadEye
08-19-2002, 01:27 PM
Bigb,

I know that you in particular are a huge LOTR fan and I certainly didn't mean to offend everyone. Having not read the books is probably one of the reasons why the movies don't mean that much to me.
And Jar Jar, I would love it if they made a movie that was non-stop violence, action and carnage. I certainly don't mind a good story...I don't mind having to actually use my brain as I watch a movie...but I very much like to be entertained, also. And a bunch of guys standing around and talking isn't really "entertainment" in my book. But watch yourself, Emperor Jar Jar...you've been a bit more fierce and succinct in your latest posts. I supposed power corrupts!

billfremore
08-19-2002, 01:31 PM
Actually they already made that movie that's non-stop violence and action... it's called xXx.

bigbarada
08-19-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye

I would love it if they made a movie that was non-stop violence, action and carnage. I certainly don't mind a good story...I don't mind having to actually use my brain as I watch a movie...but I very much like to be entertained, also. And a bunch of guys standing around and talking isn't really "entertainment" in my book.

This from the guy trying to give advice on writing fan fiction.:rolleyes:

Beast
08-19-2002, 02:00 PM
My thoughts exactly BigB. :rolleyes:

DeadEye
08-19-2002, 02:02 PM
Just FYI, fan fiction, or any kinds of books for that matter, are more about story than action. Movies are a different matter. Movies should be entertaining in every way possible...if you want story and/or dialogue, read a book instead.

bigbarada
08-19-2002, 02:08 PM
Well, the kind of movies that you like do exist, let's see...

Armageddon
xXx
The Fast and the Furious
Rollerball
Pitch Black
The Rock
Independence Day
Godzilla (1997)
The One

So, enjoy and don't bash LOTR is you find tripe like this entertaining.

I love it when a 17-year old kid lectures me on what movies should be.:rolleyes:

Beast
08-19-2002, 02:16 PM
Don't forget "Starship Troopers" BigB. That one was long on action short on plot. God, who wants to see a movie that has more action then plot. Isn't that just, stupid. :stupid: :rolleyes:

DeadEye, from your taste in what makes a good movie, I pray that you never become a movie maker. You would be like Michael Bay, Jr. with your all action no plot films. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

billfremore
08-19-2002, 02:27 PM
Actually I don't mind a mindless action movie now and then.
It's a nice diversion.

My brain would turn to mush if I didn't watch a really good movie now and then.

Pure unadulterated action is fine and all, but I need more than people just shooting/hacking/destroying the crap out of buildings/vehicles/animals/aliens/other people.

El Chuxter
08-19-2002, 02:30 PM
Starship Troopers is not a bad movie at all when you keep in mind it's a satire and not a bona fide action flick. (If you think it's taking itself seriously, though, it seems like one heck of a lousy film.)

DeadEye
08-19-2002, 02:30 PM
Well, the kind of movies that you like do exist, let's see...

Armageddon
xXx
The Fast and the Furious
Rollerball
Pitch Black
The Rock
Independence Day
Godzilla (1997)
The One

So, enjoy and don't bash LOTR is you find tripe like this entertaining.

I love it when a 17-year old kid lectures me on what movies should be.:rolleyes:

Well, to be honest, I haven't seen xXx, The Fast and the Furious, Rollerball, or the Rock! And Godzilla was 1998, not 1997. Secondly, those that I have seen are terrible movies! Those are cases where the lack of story is a bad thing. Besides, those movies had lackluster action scenes anyway! The One, too. The action scenes in there weren't all they were cracked up to be. I was disappointed, especially since every single good part was shown almost in its entirety in the trailers. Ditto with The Sum of All Fears.
Bigb, you're lucky, as you're one of the few forumites I'd actually accept an eye-rolling from! :D Also, I was not "bashing" LOTR. I thought it was a good movie...I just didn't understand the big deal it made to people that hadn't read the books.
And Jar Jar, aren't you our resident hypocrite? You said you liked Eight Legged Freaks. That was one of the movies that was big on action and low on plot.
Also, Starship Troopers was an absolutely fantastic film. The lack of story didn't stop me from enjoying it. It was one of the few movies to portray military life accurately (except for the coed showers :rolleyes: )

billfremore
08-19-2002, 02:37 PM
It was one of the few movies to portray military life accurately

Really?
Do they have the same model Laser rifles?
Do people normally get promoted to as quickly as John Rico?
Which planets have we invaded recently?

DeadEye
08-19-2002, 02:41 PM
I'm not talking about the technology, you twit. I'm talking about how well they portrayed boot camp and how soldiers behave in battle. And yes, actually, in war soldiers do get promoted as quickly as Johnny Rico.

The only time laser rifles were used in the movie was at the basic training, and it's not unlike the MILES system we have today. The standard rifles were 7.62mm Moritas, which were built around the frames of Ruger Mini-14s.

Beast
08-19-2002, 02:42 PM
Good points, billfremore. Also, do squad commanders only get whipped because they got someone's brains blown out during a training excercise. :crazed: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

billfremore
08-19-2002, 02:43 PM
I'm not talking about the technology, you twit. I'm talking about how well they portrayed boot camp and how soldiers behave in battle. And yes, actually, in war soldiers do get promoted as quickly as Johnny Rico.

Have you ever seen Full Metal Jacket? That's boot camp.

DeadEye
08-19-2002, 02:44 PM
Actually, boot camp isn't like that anymore. And no, I haven't seen Full Metal Jacket but have heard plenty about it.

And Jar Jar, you moron, if you actually bothered to pay attention as you watched the movie, Rico was only whipped because he was a good soldier and they didn't want to lose him.

Beast
08-19-2002, 02:46 PM
Obviously he hasn't seen Full Metal Jacket, if he had he wouldn't have thought that StarShip Troopers was an accurate view of the military. Hell, Forrest Gump is a more accurate view of the military then Starship Troopers. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
08-19-2002, 02:48 PM
Jar Jar,

How the hell would you know what's accurate and what's not, anyway? FMJ was a realistic depiction of the military in the 60s and 70s, but not today.

billfremore
08-19-2002, 02:49 PM
Actually Jar Jar my first mistake was attempting to argue. :D

I will now stop, for the sake of my own sanity.

Beast
08-19-2002, 02:52 PM
Yep, you are right Bill. I forgot that DeadEye is an expert in everything, so there is no sense disagreeing with him because he's right about everything. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
08-19-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Yep, you are right Bill. I forgot that DeadEye is an expert in everything, so there is no sense disagreeing with him because he's right about everything. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Actually, Jar Jar, thank you! That's one of the most intelligent things I've ever heard.
I'm serious.

scruffziller
08-19-2002, 03:41 PM
Just FYI, fan fiction, or any kinds of books for that matter, are more about story than action. Movies are a different matter. Movies should be entertaining in every way possible...if you want story and/or dialogue, read a book instead.

Well Duh........:stupid: :rolleyes: :D

Writing a book doesn't have the multimillion production the movies do.

Originally posted by El Chuxter
Starship Troopers is not a bad movie at all when you keep in mind it's a satire and not a bona fide action flick. (If you think it's taking itself seriously, though, it seems like one heck of a lousy film.)

Wasn't Starship Troopers a novel that was written the 40s too?

DeadEye
08-19-2002, 03:45 PM
Yeah, exactly. That's why I say that books should be about story (since they can tell it better anyway) and movies should be about action.

scruffziller
08-19-2002, 03:48 PM
Hey, scruffziller, the first part of your sig line was never more relevant.:D

Yea BigB as I cruise through these threads I want to make sure I am reminding people how they abuse their American freedoms.

bigbarada
08-19-2002, 04:51 PM

Actually, Jar Jar, thank you! That's one of the most intelligent things I've ever heard.
I'm serious.

Stop being an idiot, DeadEye. This is how you ended up getting suspended a couple weeks back. So chill out and stop trying to get the last word in.

Starship Troopers is not even close to Basic Training or Army life at all. Those futuristic infantrymen could have been taken out by a modern day, National Guard tank unit. They attacked the planet with no artillery, armor or air support. And they all just ran at the enemy at the same time firing off every weapon in their arsenal. Stupid! Now they have an entire Army that runs out of ammo at the exact same time. Whoever, wrote that doesn't know the first thing about true military tactics.

JON9000
08-19-2002, 05:30 PM
Okay- relax, you're going to get this thread closed.

First, Deadeye is not a member of the armed services. But if I remember correctly, Big B was. So whatever Big B says is probably right.

Second, Deadeye has his opinion and he is entitled to it. icatch9 says he doesn't like Lawrence of Arabia and I accept it. I applaud FOTR and its faithful approach to the book, but one of the reasons I thought it would be difficult to turn it into a movie was it was VERY episodic. I thought the movie overcame the difficulty admirably. But one who never read it might not appreciate it.

Lastly, Deadeye is a product of the MTV generation. The camera changes every ten seconds, tops- so what do you expect? I long for the days of Stanley Kubrick and the slow burn. Starship Troopers was only notable for its conveyance of Hienlein's fascism.

DeadEye
08-19-2002, 06:28 PM
I'm not a product of the MTV generation. I'm hella better than basically every other teen I know (save those on these forums) and I don't even watch MTV anyway.

Beast
08-19-2002, 06:36 PM
I'm not a product of the MTV generation. I'm hella better than basically every other teen I know (save those on these forums) and I don't even watch MTV anyway.
Yes, you are a product of the MTV generation, because MTV infuenced everything that you grew up with. So even though you didn't watch MTV, it still influenced your perspectives.

And listen, your damn ego is out of control again. You are no better then everyone one else, period. Everyone has their faults, and you are no different. Thinking yourself better then others is egotistical. That is your opinion, and I can tell you that it's nowhere near correct. You act like you are some sort of expert to things you have no experience with.

Come back to us when you have lived some, and then offer more informed opinions and maybe you will have somthing to say. Until then it's just you being cocky. Read a book, go rent some of these movies we kept suggesting to you, get out of the house and do somthing new for a change.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
08-19-2002, 06:55 PM
[subtly trying to bring us back on topic]

So. . . you saw LOTR and liked it. That's good. Glad you enjoyed it!

JesusFreak
08-19-2002, 08:02 PM
IMO LOTR was a great movie with just enough action and enough of the books to keep people happy. Peter Jackson did a wonderful job portraying the books.

El Chuxter is right, let's try to get this back on topic.

DeadEye
08-19-2002, 08:51 PM
Jar Jar,

Your ideas are all well and good. You blame me for saying I'm better than anyone else (and I didn't say I was better than any *forumites*) yet you go on and say that for some reason my opinions are "uninformed" and somehow carry less weight than that of the next man.

hango fett
08-19-2002, 09:15 PM
sheesh! i just saw this post and thought itwas a nice post about LOTR, but it's a rollercoaster ride! like jarjar said in some post..."it's like a soap oprea in here!"
h...

JON9000
08-19-2002, 10:26 PM
MTV has wrought its influence everywhere, from TV commercials to movies. Romeo + Juliet and Charlie's Angels are notable examples of short attention span theater.

JediTricks
08-19-2002, 10:46 PM
Ok, I merged these 2 threads together.

Now I'm going to lay down a blanket warning, this warning is directed at anybody and everybody involved. These forums aren't for folks to create flame wars, personal attacks, hounding other users, or any other such behavior - everybody is entitled to his or her opinion on the discussion at hand. This sort of bickering and name-calling is disruptive, pointless, and wasteful - if you cannot solve your personal differences with each other, then ignore that person but do not attack them - personal attacks only lead to closed threads, deleted posts, hurt feelings, or possibly even suspension if SirSteve feels it's necessary. This is a discussion forum, not a steel-cage match.

jobi
08-19-2002, 11:28 PM
Well Mr. Deadeye I can TELL you that isn't an accurate portrayal of bootcamp. I don't want to jump on the bandwagon of bashing you. But do you actually KNOW anything about the military??? Because after reading some of your posts about the military I've come to the assumption you know nothing about it. And I'm not some military expert but I think I know a little bit more then you about it. This is in no way a flame. This is a statement of fact. You see I've been in the military for the last 8 years. So "I'm not only the president I'm also a member."

EDIT: Oh yeah, I loved LOTR :D

Eternal Padawan
08-20-2002, 10:19 AM
I thought LOTR was the best movie of the year.

I go t a chill down my spine when the music started at the beginning and the title came up and I had a lump in my throat at the end when Frodo and Sam are standing at the edge of Emyn Muil and Frodo says "I don't suppose we'll see them again" and Sam ''We may, Mr. Frodo. We may." Excellent stroytelling through and through. Ian got robbed at the Oscars. I heartily await the deluxe DVD and the second film at the end of the year.

PS This thread is not about Starship Troopers or Military Boot Camp. :)

ROLLO!

bigbarada
08-20-2002, 09:12 PM
4 more months!!:D:D

I am constantly amazed at how close these movies are sticking to the books. Of course, there were some major changes (namely with beefing up Arwen and Eowyn's roles), but the spirit of the story itself remains the same. You can tell that PJ and most of the people involved behind the scenes have been fans of LOTR for a long time.

Considering how some novels get completely butchered when they are adapted to film (Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Eaters of the Dead/13th Warrior), I am glad to see at least one movie studio showing some respect for the integrity of the source material.

hango fett
08-20-2002, 10:04 PM
harry potter stuck pretty close to the book, but that HAD to be done, because of J.K. rowling. but they still left some stuff out...being a fan of HP, i know exactly what they left out,...
h

bigbarada
08-20-2002, 10:12 PM
I totally forgot about HP! I never got around to reading the books and have yet to see the movie (it's on my "to do" list, gimme a break!;) ). Just one more reason for me to check it out.:cool:

The sad part about JP and 13th Warrior is that the author of the novels, Michael Crichton, was directly involved in each movie and did all the rewrites himself.:stupid: And 13th Warrior had such potential, anyone who has never read Eaters of the Dead is advised to drop whatever it is you are doing and go read it right now!!!

rynobot
08-23-2002, 12:34 AM
LOTR was 3 hours and yet they still left things from the book out of the movie.

bigbarada
08-23-2002, 12:43 AM
There is no way that they could have included everything from the book even with a twelve hour movie. That just wouldn't have been possible. Tom Bombadil, the Barrow-Wights and the entire Council of Elrond chapter would have required several hours themselves.

In the book, it took forever for Frodo to actually get underway with the Ring. Twenty years passed between Bilbo leaving the Shire and Gandalf guessing the nature of the Ring. Even after being informed of all this danger it still took Frodo several months to actually get underway. The film would have needed two hours alone just to cover all that.

That's not even including all the songs that were removed, which would have lasted several minutes each and added an hour or more to the film.

Basically there is no way to include every little detail from a book in a movie, especially one as in depth as LOTR. However, with the limitations of movies, FOTR was an incredible accomplishment.

JesusFreak
08-23-2002, 12:26 PM
Just a little news piece from TORN.

"Tafi writes: In September's "The Cable Guide" our favorite movie is mentioned! No, not Star Wars, FOTR! It'll be on PPV in September!"