PDA

View Full Version : whatever happened to the South Park figs?

Brave Sir Robin
09-05-2001, 07:08 AM
Ok, they were announced in ToyFare, and I saw pictures of them on the net from Toy Fair 2001, but that was about the last I heard of McFarlene Toy's South Park line. How come I never see these things? What's the deal.

JediCole
09-05-2001, 10:47 AM
"Boldly Brave Sir Robin rode forth from Camelot..."

Yes, MacFarlane did, and probably still does, hold the license for South Park and created a mess of their infamous two-ups (display painted figure samples that are twice the size of the actual final figures, so if you've wondered why their stuff always looks twice as good in the toy magazines when it is previewed as it does on the card, that is why) for the annual Toy Fair. The thing you have to bear in mind is MacFarlane is somewhat notorious for buying properties then sitting on them in favor of persuing other projects. There was a projected line based on the X-Files TV series and not just the feature film that fell out of sight a few years ago. The Collector's Club exclusive Flukeman offered some hope that the line would be revived, but nothing is forthcoming. The South Park figure line was somewhat ambitious and flew in the face of Comedy Central's long-held proclaimation that there would NEVER be toys based on that property. It seems that Comedy Central used to hold to the same philosphy as Hasbro, toys are for kids and only kids buy toys (or want to have toys bought for them). Anyway, nothing further has been said one way or the other about that line, and there is the strong possibility that there were not sufficient orders to warrant production. If anyone has an inside source, let us know...

JediTricks
09-05-2001, 11:44 AM
I thought two-ups were 3 times as large as the finished product, and one-ups were twice as large.

JediCole
09-05-2001, 11:55 AM
JT,
I think you have a point there. That would explain why some MacFarlane samples look ten times as good at the finished product!

Brave Sir Robin
09-05-2001, 12:47 PM
that really sucks. McFarlene did an awesome job on those figures, and they sorta looked a little bit like the Beatles figures- same sort of "sculpture of a cartooney drawing" type of toy. damned shame. I guess I'll have to go on a hunt for those little character keychains- they are about the same scale as a Star Wars human.

JediTricks
09-06-2001, 10:03 AM
mcfarlaneguide.com, one of the affiliate sites to this very website you're looking at right now, said way, way, waaaaay back that McFarlane didn't actually HAVE the license signed for these SP figures, and that was the hangup for them... that was the very last thing I could find about the figures, but it's been over a freakin' YEAR, so they're dead in my book. Too bad too, they looked fun.

JediCole
09-06-2001, 10:25 AM
I guess no one told Mr. Todd that Comedy Central had sworn blind that there would be no toys licensed. Just keychains and plush. That reminds me, I need to order my plush Timmy!

Timmmmaaaaaayyyyyy!

GNT
09-07-2001, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by JediCole
There was a projected line based on the X-Files TV series and not just the feature film that fell out of sight a few years ago. The Collector's Club exclusive Flukeman offered some hope that the line would be revived, but nothing is forthcoming.

Accorrding to Figures.com expect to see a new line of figures including Doggot,Skinner and somone else?

JediTricks
09-07-2001, 07:06 AM
Cole, I have a feeling that Trey Parker and Matt Stone lead McFarlane on, hinting that they'd be able to convince Comedy Central of making toys out of SP after all.

GNT, those X-files figures are not from McFarlane, they're from Moore Action Collectibles, the company some folks consider McFarlane's chief rival. The 3rd figure in the line up will be Maitreya, the virtual-reality vixen who was able to actually kill the players she was interacting with and who was physically designed directly from a stripper named Jade Blue Afterglow in the ep "First Person Shooter".

Obi-Don
09-07-2001, 08:07 AM
Maybe they all got killed not just Kenny.:p Anyways, I hope you find them.