PDA

View Full Version : Are these online stores serious??? (merged thread)

Wolfwood319
04-23-2002, 01:58 PM
I just hit around a few of the more prominant online retailers, and I was just dumbfounded on how much they're charging for figures.

Jango Fett Kamino $19.95?!?! Do they even realize you can go down to Wal Mart and pick this thing up for $6?!? Whatever you do, don't support these types of stores, please.

swcollector
04-23-2002, 06:26 PM
I just an email from brianstoys about their new AOTC figures, so I checked it out and to my surprise these guys sell figures higher than some of the local scalpers

Wow and I thought ebay and toy shows were high.

I know its sirsteves sponser, but $11.99 - $19.99 for a single figure is a bit much, since you can pick them up now at retail at $5.88

funny thing is brianstoys is sold out of half of their figures already, so I guess someone is buying them.

pthfnder89
04-23-2002, 06:31 PM
I'm not surprised. Practically everything on their website is a ripoff, that's why I've never shopped there.

But like you said, they seem to still be in buisness so obviously someone doesn't mind paying out the nose.:)

bigbarada
04-23-2002, 07:13 PM
The reason why Brian's Toys charges so much is because they buy directly from Hasbro. Since they are just one store and can't buy in the bulk quantities of say Wal-Mart or TRU then they have to pay more for each shipment than those chains, thus they have to charge more to simply make a profit. I'm sure most of those figures are selling out to people in parts of the world that see little in the way of action figures.

I stay away from buying new figures at Brian's Toys because I have learned that patience is cheaper. I do still go to them for vintage or discontinued POTF2 stuff.

RooJay
04-23-2002, 07:18 PM
I agree! Plus, you've gotta figure in shipping and the wait to get your figures in the mail. Who's crazy enough to buy from these people when you can just go out right now and pick up the figures at retail? Don't have 'em where you're at? Just wait a couple days! You'll still probably get them sooner than if you order them online, and the harder to find ones will come around soon enough!

DarthMaulSithLord
04-23-2002, 07:21 PM
Days? It will probably be weeks over here.

:(

RooJay
04-23-2002, 07:35 PM
If there were any way I could help ya I would!

DarthMaulSithLord
04-23-2002, 08:11 PM
Actually you can!

"You will send me your figures NOW!"

:D

QLD
04-24-2002, 11:37 AM
busted

waboritas
04-24-2002, 11:52 AM
Is there a reason the figures are $8.99 at toysrus.com? Something is wrong when they are cheeper at kbtoys.com and etoys.com $7.99 (which I think are one in the same). In fact they (KB) had Dokus and hangar Anakins until late yesterday afternoon.

How much were the figs at Toys R Us stores? I'm waiting for a sale and will then begin my collection.

CrossWizard
04-24-2002, 12:04 PM
Toys R Us had the Basic and preview figures at $5.99, Deluxe $9.99. Im surprised theyre so expensive on their site since theyre supposed to have the same in store price, or in some cases the in store merchandise is about $2 more expensive that the online one.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-24-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
The reason why Brian's Toys charges so much is because they buy directly from Hasbro. Since they are just one store and can't buy in the bulk quantities of say Wal-Mart or TRU then they have to pay more for each shipment than those chains, thus they have to charge more to simply make a profit. I'm sure most of those figures are selling out to people in parts of the world that see little in the way of action figures.

I don't follow you there BB. Why would they pay more buying directly from the toy maker? They wouldn't have a middle man that way and thus wouldn't have to pay the extra fees.

It's got to be just greed. They know some people are desparate for this stuff but can't get to a store. They know they can't compete with the retailers dollar for dollar so they go for the easy marks who want all the wacky variations and sell them for tons of $.

Regardless of why they're expensive, I'd never buy from them. Not even for an exclusive.

lapork
04-24-2002, 12:38 PM
I just an email from brianstoys about their new AOTC figures, so I checked it out and to my surprise these guys sell figures higher than some of the local scalpers

Quite amusing!

RooJay
04-24-2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat

I don't follow you there BB. Why would they pay more buying directly from the toy maker? They wouldn't have a middle man that way and thus wouldn't have to pay the extra fees.

It's got to be just greed. They know some people are desparate for this stuff but can't get to a store. They know they can't compete with the retailers dollar for dollar so they go for the easy marks who want all the wacky variations and sell them for tons of $.

Regardless of why they're expensive, I'd never buy from them. Not even for an exclusive.

I agree with you. Plus, why are some of the more popular characters often more expensive for no apparent reason? We know they are not more rare!

INDIANA
04-24-2002, 03:57 PM
I know of quite a few other etailers that also buy direct from Hasbro, and they do not charge nearly as much as Brian's Toys. It's purely what the market will allow...if people will PAY that much the etailer will CHARGE that much or go out of business. Obviously they are not having a hard time with customers or they would be gone.

Most of us live near a large city. You have to remember there are people who do not. There are also people who live maybe 45 minutes from a Wal-Mart and THAT'S IT!!! When I vacation in Northern Wisconsin, the closest thing to a store for toys is Wal-Mart 45 minutes a way. I feel sorry to be a collector living there because I'm sure there are figures he will NEVER see at retail. Ordering on-line would be there only hope. And if there's someone with a "jones" to get a certain figure, he may willingly pay $20 just to have one, mint, come to his door.

J2-D2
04-25-2002, 09:39 PM
$7.99 for Episode II figures, but $9.99 for w/inserts? It's mark-ups and speculation like this that leads to scalping and hoarding! Shame on SirSteve for letting trash like this litter the front page, just for some advertising dollars. Get some class and professionalism and start monitoring the tasteless promotion!

sith_killer_99
04-25-2002, 10:10 PM
If ya don't like it don't buy it.

Jamstoys also sold me an R2-D2 with holo Leia for like $5.99 when most on-line retailers were charging $30.00+!

Besides, they are better than buying from SCALPERS on ebay.

Jamstoys buys direct from Hasbro. SCALPERS buy from our local retailers, thus denying kids and collectors the opportunity to buy from Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, etc.

:p

sith_killer_99
04-25-2002, 10:13 PM
BTW, they also sold me a CT Stormie when they were VHTF for the same $5.99 price tag.

SSG does not endorse they guys, you don't see sirsteve telling people to go buy from them or else!

We have free will, we can choose to buy or not to buy, we are not mindless sheep.

I for one comparison shop, Wal-Mart has the best prices, so Wal-Mart gets 90% of my business!

Mandalorian Candidat
04-25-2002, 11:50 PM
I really don't have a problem with them. I ordered something from them, I don't remember exactly what, but the price was OK and they shipped it pretty quick.

If they buy direct let em charge what they want. I just won't buy something if it's ridiculous and overprice. Hopefully others won't if they think the same thing but if they want to waste $ then whatever.

SirSteve
04-26-2002, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by J2-D2
$7.99 for Episode II figures, but $9.99 for w/inserts? It's mark-ups and speculation like this that leads to scalping and hoarding! Shame on SirSteve for letting trash like this litter the front page, just for some advertising dollars. Get some class and professionalism and start monitoring the tasteless promotion!

These advertising dollars are what keeps SSG online... How else are we going to pay $400 a month for server fees? How else do we afford to cover events such as Star Wars Celebration? I don't put a gun to your head and make you buy from them. All we do is post their news from time to time... All these guys have accounts with Hasbro so they can charge whatever they want.

J2-D2
04-26-2002, 08:46 AM
The last thing I wanted to do was offend anyone. I certainly made no negative comment towards JamsToys purchasing or shipping procedures. I have ordered Simpsons figures from them at a good price as well.

It's just my opinion that it's TOO EARLY to be speculating on the value of backgrounds... especially considering they don't seem to be very rare at all. If JamsToys can collect for them, then good for them, especially considering they keep SSG going, but I feel sorry for the people who'll drop the cash only to find out they're headed for the clearance bin.

I also have no problem with advertisers posting the latest news on the site (as long as it's clearly marked as advertising!)... I just ordered my 12" Mace Windu thanks to a post... but it should not be included as "news." Take it from someone who works in television promotions and advertising... disguising paid advertising as news is a fairly common practice, but it'll only lead to fear, anger, hatred, and the dark side!

And thanks, Sir Steve, for bringing me my daily fix of obsession.

Dryanta
04-26-2002, 09:12 AM
Hey J2-D2.Welcome to the forums.ANd thanks for clarifying your statement

JEDIpartner
04-26-2002, 10:11 AM
Yes... welcome...!

In all reality- have you seen how much some of the OTHER sites are charging for the figures backgrounds or not??? :greedy:

aikman
04-26-2002, 02:24 PM
Kebco toys is selling freeze frames for around $20 a pop.

Thats scalping in my book, am i wrong?

How is that diff from a scalper at a flea market?

Matter of fact the scalper prices are cheaper for these figs.

Oh and $40 for remov helm vader? Ouch, sure its a collectible figure but damn!!!

CrossWizard
04-26-2002, 02:40 PM
Heres the way I see it, scalpers go to Walmart, Kmart, KB or TRU, raid the shelves of the latest waves, figures etc., then sell them at exaggerated prices in hopes of making 2, 3 or even 4 times the profit(e.g. Dooku), but most scalpers wont carry old product, unless of course thet own a local shop in which some cases they will. Now on the other hand is Kebco, they stock newer waves and product at average affordable prices($7-$8) and get their shipments from distributors or in some cases Hasbro themselves, they can afford to sell newer waves at an average price because they are currently available and restockable, while old figures that are no longer in production will be a lot more expensive due to their low availability and/or rarity.

pthfnder89
04-26-2002, 02:47 PM
Yeah. A lot of online stores are obviously too expensive on some things, but most of them buy from distributors, so they aren't taking figures away from the rest of us.

Scalpers are actually raiding our store isles and then selling the figures back to us at ridiculous prices.

Usually the reason an online store has high prices is because they have a large overhead. They don't get to buy the cases at the same price as huge chains like TRU and Wal-Mart. Plus they usually only have a few employees who have to do everything.

I still say that Brians Toys is just a HUGE ripoff though. But I just don't shop there so it doesn't really matter.:)

Wonderboy
04-26-2002, 02:50 PM
oops

aikman
04-26-2002, 02:50 PM
Well, i dont shop any of these places so it doesnt really matter but the reason i dont shop there is because the prices are @ scalper levels.

So the fact that they buy from distributors and they sell older stock would make them labeled a non scalper?

Battle Droid
04-26-2002, 06:33 PM
Scalpers work for the On-Line stores.

DARTH_SKELETOR
04-26-2002, 06:38 PM
I sell STAR WARS figures, but for the same amount as the stores+$4 shipping. I make no profit, because why should I? If I find a extra figure that peope cant seem to find in some areas(YODA,HD ANI,DOOKU), I buy it and sell it to them for the same price, because I hope if I ever needed something someone else would do the same.

Star Wars fans are a family IMO, We have got to look out for one another, not scew one another.

Beast
04-26-2002, 06:44 PM
They are only "scalpers" if they are going to the stores and buying at retail there, then selling the figures at a mark-up thru their company. A scalper takes figures out of the hands of collectors and kids, to sell them on the secondary market. Most of those On-Line stores have their own distributors, or are licensed Hasbro dealers. Some of them like Yestertoys, FederationToys, and others have deecent prices because they have Hasbro accounts. Some of the stores, like Brian's toys, Kebco and others get their figures direct from overseas, so they usually have the newest waves before they hit the stores here. Is it worth paying 20.00 to have the figures a few weeks early? Not in my opinion, but if someone wants to pay that much for unreleased figures, that they could wait and get at retail for 5.88, then let em.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

skyywalkerr
05-01-2002, 10:10 AM

I stay away from buying new figures at Brian's Toys because I have learned that patience is cheaper. I do still go to them for vintage or discontinued POTF2 stuff.

Just so you guys know...Federation Toys here in Chicago is only one 'store' and he only charges $7.00 per basic figure. And I know for a fact that he orders directly from Hasbro, because the guy who runs it is a trading buddy of mine. Brian's Toys has always sold their figures at way inflated prices, and is low on customer satisfaction. I ordered a Boba Fett with a slide a few years ago, and got the red card Boba Fett instead...I sent it back and kept getting the same thing back. I refuse to deal with him and his scalping, and I urge others to do the same.:(

JrJedi
05-01-2002, 10:37 AM
Just my thoughts, but - I think its scalping ONLY when a figure can be easily found at retail. If the figure is no longer at retail, ie. Freeze Frames, Red Cards, etc. then its what the market will bare. The on-line stores that sell a current figure such as the EP2 line at substantially more that retail price - are scalpers. Anything close to retail price, say $7.99 and less is OK. Also, charging more for a "rare" figure is scalping. I checked with KEBco Toys and they do not charge more for the BG figures. Matter of fact, they don't even search for them. I was told, its just another figure. When they ship, they just take the next figure in line. If you happen to get a "rare" figure, then good for you. For me, I'll stick with on-line stores like this.:happy:

RooJay
05-02-2002, 04:27 AM
GREAT point JrJedi! In my opinion, any retailer/ e-tailer that makes more than a standard mark-up on a given figure is considered a scalper, and should be ashamed of themselves! More to it, any retailer that charges a premium for a particular figure just because there are fewer of him in a case (such as Dooku) is a scalper! These figures do not cost them any more than the rest, and specifically BECAUSE a particular retailer buys direct from Hasbro these figures are no harder for them to "find" than the others in the case. Most (and there are a few exceptions) of these retailers DO charge more for "rare" figures than they do for the others, and knowing that certain of them DO get their stock direct from Hasbro then there should be absolutely NO reason for them to do so (Hasbro charges them the same amount for "rare" and short-packed figures as they do for common figures!). 'Nuff said!

JediDan
05-08-2002, 04:43 PM
I have an order placed for a case of Star Wars figures that they received last Thursday and for the past 7 days it's been processing. I email them about it on Monday and they said it would be shipping out Tuesday morning. Well, now it's Wednesday evening and it's STILL processing!!!!!! 1st they start charging higher prices for cases of Star Wars figures and now their customer service is going down. :frus: :mad:

stevenmh
05-08-2002, 05:27 PM
I tried ordering from EE once a couple years ago. Placed an order for an item that was IN STOCK, and called a couple days later when it still didn't show as having shipped. Was told it would ship TODAY. Couple days later, still showing not shipped, called again, "it will ship today." Next day, still not showing shipped, called again and told them to cancel my order. I haven't ordered anything from them since, and it sounds like nothing's changed.

JediDan
05-08-2002, 05:47 PM
I have ordered from them many many times and have never ever had a problem. Now I get to the figures that I really really want and they pull this crap. Sorry to hear about your run in with EE. If they don't ship by Friday I'm telling them they lost a customer. There just is NO excuse for what they are doing.

JEDIpartner
05-08-2002, 07:07 PM
I've not had a problem with them either. I looked at this thread out of curiosity. Very strange.

darthcdub
05-08-2002, 07:13 PM
There prices are a rip-off, they are so taking advantage. After taxes/shipping they come out to almost $10figure.

Turbowars
05-08-2002, 09:12 PM
I aways thought they handled things well. I guess things are changing. Customer service is dieing and has been for some time now. I mean ,just go to a retail store and try to find someone to ask a question . OH I know the worst service has to be a bank!

pthfnder89
05-08-2002, 09:36 PM
I've ordered lots of things from them and never had a problem. As far as rip-offs, Brians Toys has to be the single worstp place I've seen for buying anything with Star Wars written on it :)

corporal AMF
05-09-2002, 10:43 AM
Never had problems with them, but since a month ago I'm still waiting my preview 4 pack to arrive ..:frus: :mad:

Don't know what happened to them in 2002, they use tobe good, not very fast shipping, but reliable, got from them my 4 deluxe figures and 25 ann. two-packs..............seems they can handle AOTC...........:confused:

Mandalorian Candidat
05-09-2002, 02:23 PM
That's too bad. Since their prices are so horrible, all they can really provide is good customer service. Now that that's gone what do they have to offer?

JediDan
05-09-2002, 05:40 PM
Well I got an email just a few minutes ago and the customer rep. said that they assured her that it will ship out tomarrow (friday). We'll see. :rolleyes:

I have never had a problem with them until I started ordering Saga figures. I wonder if their computer is all screwed up and they won't tell anyone. I just cannot see why they would say an item is in stock and not ship it out until a week OR MORE later. It's been exactly 1 week now. I'll tell you it's left a bitter taste in my mouth that I won't forget about. I think it's time I start shopping elsewhere. Sorry to sound so harsh, but I hate it when they outright lie to you and say it's going to ship tomarrow and then 3 days later you have to call them and ask when are they gonna ship my order out!!!

Vortex
05-09-2002, 11:22 PM
I haven't had a problem with EE yet, and I've order quite a bit. The only beef I have with them is local scalpers and stores manage to get their hands on the figs weeks prior to EE getting cases in and shipping them out.

Brians Toys...I'm still trying to figure out their pricing system. I've pre-ordered stuff from them and some items I'm missing, but man...their prices are off the scale.

Amok Time - I ordered stuff from them, they charged my card right away and I've been waiting weeks, for my items to arive and when I ordered they said they were in stock. I've taken them off my shopping list.

Its a no win...with the secondary market. If I can't find it at a store, don't have time to shop around, or if the comic shops don't get stuff from diamond, I just have to deal with it.

JangoFart
06-02-2002, 11:48 PM
http://www.brianstoys.com/acatalog/ESB_Carded_Figures.html

Check out the price that Brian's Toys is asking for the bloody hand Bespin Luke!

That ought to get under a few skins 'round here :)

J

Lman316
06-02-2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by JangoFart
http://www.brianstoys.com/acatalog/ESB_Carded_Figures.html

Check out the price that Brian's Toys is asking for the bloody hand Bespin Luke!

That ought to get under a few skins 'round here :)

J

More than a few.
I think somewhere else in here this was being discussed. That's just plain ignorance to pay that much for a figure. I think it was Stillakid that said you could just dab a regular one with a Q-tip full of red paint, and have the same thing.
But Brian's Toys gets their supply directly from Hasbro, so I guess they can charge whatever they want for it. I just hope that not too many people fall for this. But, I guess, if someone really wants to pay that much, if they have $75 to waste, more power to them....I guess.

End :crazed:.

Jedi Juice
06-03-2002, 12:51 AM
Wow, 75 bucks. I haven't even seen the fig cost that much on ebay!

bigbarada
06-03-2002, 01:25 AM
Well, they are buying bloody hand Lukes for $25, thus if you take into the account the "Rule of Three" for businesses then I would say that is fair. Especially if people are willing to pay that.

For those unfamiliar with the Rule of Three: Whenever a business owner sells an item he buys he must make back 1- the money he paid for it; 2- enough money to pay for his lease, salaries for workers, business expenses; and 3- enough money to pay himself and keep food on the table for his family. Thus in general business owners must sell any item for at least three times what they paid for it. That's not scalping, that's business. Scalping would be paying $5.88 for each bloody hand Luke and then selling them off for $75 each.

Selling Star Wars toys is these peoples' livelyhood, thus it needs to be profitable for them or they go out of business and lose their jobs.

LTBasker
06-03-2002, 04:31 AM
I got mine for 5.88 plus tax at WM, who's ever buying them at scalper prices is supremely stupid. People just don't use logic, if they don't buy at scalper's prices, the scalpers will get irritated and buy less.

pthfnder89
06-03-2002, 09:16 AM
Well, they are buying bloody hand Lukes for $25, thus if you take into the account the "Rule of Three" for businesses then I would say that is fair. Especially if people are willing to pay that.

For those unfamiliar with the Rule of Three: Whenever a business owner sells an item he buys he must make back 1- the money he paid for it; 2- enough money to pay for his lease, salaries for workers, business expenses; and 3- enough money to pay himself and keep food on the table for his family. Thus in general business owners must sell any item for at least three times what they paid for it.

I NEVER buy from Brians Toys anyway. Their prices are ALWAYS ridiculous.

I have yet to see a single figure or vehicle at that site over the past couple years that I couldn't find at another online store (Ystertoys is usually good.) for about 25% less.:rolleyes: More power to them if they can stay in buisness like that, but I certainly won't be a customer.

eliwankenobi
06-03-2002, 11:20 AM
He may like to think he's running a legitimate business but to me he's just another damn scalper!

Sir FanBoy
06-03-2002, 11:33 AM
Scalpers are all the same trying to make a few bucks off of us collectors.

Plus its up to us whether he makes the sale or not we are the ones who have to buy it off him cause if we dont he will be screwed cause all he is doing is selling and not collecting.

If only every collector out there knew that we could shut down his business but likely not. Since there are a lot of ppl that are just plain ignorant and must have everything for any price.

It's up to them they can throw away there money if they want there's noone stopping them.

JangoFart
06-03-2002, 12:09 PM
Check this one out too:

http://www.brianstoys.com/acatalog/AOTC_Carded_Figures.html

They are actually apologizing for the high price of the Obi-Wan Pilot. Time to start breaking out a BUNCH more apologies, if you ask me.

Now, as most of you know by now, I'm all for a seller making money off of collectors. After all, who among us who did not attend Celebration II actually believed we'd get a Sacul for the same $10.00 that it cost? Hopefully, none of us :) However, the seller should AT LEAST be realistic and check what the going rate is. The $20.00 I paid for my bloody-hand Luke is now up to $45.00 or so on eBay. That being said, why on earth would someone pay $75.00 for one?

These sellers should check out what the market is doing before posting their prices, IMHO. (For whatever that's worth)

pthfnder89
06-03-2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Sir FanBoy
Scalpers are all the same trying to make a few bucks off of us collectors.

Plus its up to us whether he makes the sale or not we are the ones who have to buy it off him cause if we dont he will be screwed cause all he is doing is selling and not collecting.

If only every collector out there knew that we could shut down his business but likely not. Since there are a lot of ppl that are just plain ignorant and must have everything for any price.

It's up to them they can throw away there money if they want there's noone stopping them. '

BriansToys is NOT SCALPING.

Scalpers are not legitimate retailers of Hasbros merchandise. They buy figures from real retailers and then resell them.

BrainsToys is buying these figures FROM HASBRO by the case. They aren't scalpers, they simply have a ridiculously overinflated opinion of their product.

Jedi Juice
06-03-2002, 12:24 PM
Is it possible to find someone who would sell the Sacul figure for what they bought it?

Sir FanBoy
06-03-2002, 12:42 PM
pthfnder89

Dont matter how they do it. It is still scalping.
Scalping is the purchase of a good and reselling it to make a profit.

I don't know about you but that looks to me like scalping.

Yes they buy it from Hasbo by the case and yes they have the right to do what they want. Doesn't necessarily mean that ppl have to buy it for an over ridiculous amount. It's up to the buyer so leave it at that.

JEDIpartner
06-03-2002, 02:04 PM
I'd rather spend $1.98 USD on some Testors model paint and make the stupid thing bloody on my own.

Lman316
06-03-2002, 02:12 PM
pthfnder89

Dont matter how they do it. It is still scalping.
Scalping is the purchase of a good and reselling it to make a profit.

I don't know about you but that looks to me like scalping.

Yes they buy it from Hasbo by the case and yes they have the right to do what they want. Doesn't necessarily mean that ppl have to buy it for an over ridiculous amount. It's up to the buyer so leave it at that.

What Brian's Toys is doing is not scalping. What they're doing is free enterprise.
Scalping is: buying things from stores, ticket booths, etc, that keeps the regular buyer from having a chance at getting one. And then they try to sell what they've bought and make a profit. That's not what Brian's Toys is doing. They order from Hasbro, Hasbro takes the order and produces more figures for later on. That in no way takes away from the normal consumer.
If you call Brian's Toys a scalping site, then you have to call Wal*Mart one, KB Toys one, KMart one, because they're all doing the same thing. They don't get their figures for $5.99-$6.99 each. They get theirs lower and raise the price to make a profit. Brian's just goes higher than the rest.
That's all :D.

End :).

Sir FanBoy
06-03-2002, 02:22 PM
Lman316,

I see your point...

Ok correction, the site is over charging (on certain items) and only idiots would buy from them. :p

Lman316
06-03-2002, 02:25 PM
Lman316,

I see your point...

Ok correction, the site is over charging (on certain items) and only idiots would buy from them. :p

Yes, I would have to agree with that statement :D. But I wish I had $75 eating a whole in my pocket to waste on a bloody Luke. Although, I wouldn't spend it on the Luke :p.

Sir FanBoy
06-03-2002, 02:41 PM
Hehe if i had 75 bucks to waste it certainly wouldnt go towards a bloody Luke.

Lman316, just curious you know the site that sells the stands for the action figures. (http://www.realstands.com/) Is it all in US funds cause when i hit the shipping method and hit Canada(cause i live up here) the total charge is still in US funds?

I need someone to clear this up for me.

Before i decide to purchase.

Thx

bigbarada
06-03-2002, 02:41 PM
I wouldn't call people in the US military, who have no access to this product, idiots; or people in smaller countries, who have probably not seen an Ep2 toy on the store shelves yet, idiots for deciding to pay BT's prices. People buy what they can afford. If they can afford to pay $20 per figure then so be it. It's really none of our business,

There is a difference between running a business and scalping, if your too ignorant and stupid to see that, then I'm sorry.

QLD
06-03-2002, 02:45 PM
I sold one for 50, so it doesn't surprise me at all that they are selling it for 75. I got a good deal several times on loose figures from Brian's Toys. It's not them who needs to be investigated, but the morons who pay 50-75 for it who do.

Sir FanBoy
06-03-2002, 02:47 PM
My thoughts exhactly. :)

Lman316
06-03-2002, 02:51 PM
Hehe if i had 75 bucks to waste it certainly wouldnt go towards a bloody Luke.

Lman316, just curious you know the site that sells the stands for the action figures. (http://www.realstands.com/) Is it all in US funds cause when i hit the shipping method and hit Canada(cause i live up here) the total charge is still in US funds?

I need someone to clear this up for me.

Before i decide to purchase.

Thx

I only bought stands from the online Star Wars Fan Club site: http://swfan.wizards.com/, so I don't know what the realstands.com site is like. Sorry that I couldn't help.

End.

Sir FanBoy
06-03-2002, 02:56 PM
bigbarada,

If your directing that msg towards me say it so i can defend what I meant.

Helllloooo did you read the msg prior to my first one on this thread it said "I SEE YOR POINT."

Now thx to Lman316 i understand that it's not scalping.

The fact of the matter is when someone has purchased anything way over its value that to me is stupid.

Its the person who purchases the item stupid not the person selling it.

Hope this clears some issues up.

Sir FanBoy
06-03-2002, 03:00 PM
Lman316 np was just wonderin...

On the starwars official fan club site its all US funds no?

and how long did it take for it to arrive at your post office or mail box?

Lman316
06-03-2002, 03:02 PM
Lman316 np was just wonderin...

On the starwars official fan club site its all US funds no?

and how long did it take for it to arrive at your post office or mail box?

Yes, I believe it's all in US funds. And I don't really know the exact amount of time it took, but I wouldn't think more than a week. I think my last order was at my house four, maybe five days after it was processed, and I think it takes at least two days to process.
Hope that helps :D.

Sir FanBoy
06-03-2002, 03:06 PM
Lman316,

thx it does.

how do you add the original post to look like that are you doing some html/ing?

or is there an option for it?

bigbarada
06-03-2002, 03:12 PM
bigbarada,

If your directing that msg towards me say it so i can defend what I meant.

Helllloooo did you read the msg prior to my first one on this thread it said "I SEE YOR POINT."

Now thx to Lman316 i understand that it's not scalping.

The fact of the matter is when someone has purchased anything way over its value that to me is stupid.

Its the person who purchases the item stupid not the person selling it.

Hope this clears some issues up.

I wasn't talking to you directly. And I don't really see the point of calling people stupid for living in a part of the world that doesn't recieve these toys. For many of them it is a choice between paying an inflated price or never seeing the toys again. I know when I was stationed in Korea, the PXs in the area didn't stock any Star Wars product, thus if I wanted to get ahold of newer figures then I was forced to order them online and pay higher prices. I knew I was paying too much, but given the choice of never seeing a single action figure for over a year and paying higher prices for a couple that I didn't want to miss out on: I paid the higher prices. I had the money to do it so why not?

Not everyone lives near a Wal-Mart or TRU and can go search for toys everyday. Thus many people have to deal with the online retailers. I tried out other online stores; but never had a smooth transaction. With BT, the order went through and I got my stuff within a week. I didn't mind paying the extra money for reliable service.

Not stupid, just no other options.

Sir FanBoy
06-03-2002, 03:18 PM
Hmm... good point never thought of it like that..

now i totally agree with your point. :happy:

aikman
06-03-2002, 03:28 PM
Much like the scalpers, brians toys exist because some fools NEED to get stuff no matter what the price.
He is selling SOME of the ep2 figs at reasonable prices but jacks up the price on anything remotely more collectible.
backgrounds for $30 (!)
yoda for $15 (!)
He sells them so high because people will pay it.
Would i like a bloody luke, sure, would I pay an ungodly sum for one? noway!!!!
Will some other people, u betcha.
Would I like a tf vader, jorg sacul? sure, will I pay over 15 bucks for one ? hell no.
Does that mean Im gonna ever get those figures?, Well who knows, but at least I will still have my dignity and wallet intact rathger thaN GETTING JUICED FOR A PIECE OF PLASTIC

LTBasker
06-03-2002, 04:36 PM
$30 for backgrounds? Yeesh, forget that, I thought I was gonna have to resort to ebay to get the backgrounds and now I only need the Battle Droid, Anakin and Obi-Wan and I've gotten that far from just going to a K-Mart and 2 different Wal-Marts. Plus another R2, I found out it was torn but decided to go ahead and get it so if I never found another then I'd at least have that one.

wedgeA
06-03-2002, 06:29 PM
bigbarada,

Thanks for pointing out that some people with limited options. Where I live, the retail sector is utterly imcompetent when it comes to ordering stuff. We had most of everything on the 23rd, but I have not seen anything past the first 27 yet. Either retailers slack on ordering or order in such small quantities that later releases are hard to find. Even the collector's stores here have not received the Bespin wave yet.

I bought Dooku, Bespin Vader and Luke off ebay, but the prices I paid for them were in line with the collector's store prices (before shipping). I don't agree with many secondary market pricing tactics, I sometimes to have to patron them.

Still, I have yet to understand why someone would pay anywhere from 3x to 7x a figures value just because of an extra piece of cardboard a brush of red paint.

bigbarada
06-03-2002, 06:50 PM
Aikman, so would you call the SW fans who live in countries like The Netherlands, New Zealand, South Korea or Thailand idiots for Hasbro not caring about them? Star Wars is a global phenomenon and has fans and collectors, who are every bit as passionate about it as we Americans, in every part of the globe.

We all tend to think that the US, the UK, Australia and Canada are the only places that matter in terms of toy collecting. Hasbro seems to think so too. Thus this leaves thousands of SW fans out in the cold when it comes to getting merchandise. If someone from an overlooked country has the money to spend and doesn't mind spending $20 per figure to complete their collection, then more power to them. You calling them idiots or fools just shows off your ignorance of the situation.

You spout off about dignity and all that crap; but I'm pretty sure you would do the same in those situations.

JetsAndHeels
06-03-2002, 08:22 PM
I think what this all boils down to is the fact that here in the US we have taken for granted that we have so much available to us. There are people in other countries who arent so lucky, so like BigB said if they want the figure and have the money then so be it. Obviously it is their only choice, so they pretty much have to do it that way.
Those of us here in the US who have access to so much as far as collectibles should be thankful for it, and not so critical of some who have to pay more for what we get at retail.

Jedi Juice
06-04-2002, 04:30 PM
OK, well if you thought that $86 for the Celebration II Sacul at R2DToys was horrible, then you will have a heart attack at the $125 that Brian's Toys is asking for the same figure. What is this hobby coming to?

Jaina Solo
06-04-2002, 04:42 PM
You think that's bad, check Ebay sometime. Between $200-$300. It's crazy.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-04-2002, 04:49 PM
Teehee I bought 2 at C2 for $10 each. :D

Vortex
06-04-2002, 04:50 PM
I've got an even better one for ya.

About a month or more ago, the local comic book shops and toy dealers all got together to have a spring clearance.

Besides having boot legged copies of lord of the rings, blade II, and many new releases, two guys had Toy Fair Vaders for sale. One guy wanted 100 buck for it, and the other guy marked his down to 150 from 225...and he was claiming he was there and his was "authentic" and the other guy got his from the fan club.

Sir FanBoy
06-04-2002, 05:01 PM
That's insane! :crazed:

eliwankenobi
06-04-2002, 05:53 PM
"I say rise up and stab them with your plastic forks!"

Hellboy
06-04-2002, 06:05 PM
I agree with you Jedi Juice that $125 for a Jorg Sacul is insane but I'm not surprised that Brian's Toys is charging that much. If you take a look at all their prices you will notice they charge about double guide price on most things and higher on others. People obviously pay these prices because they stay in buisness. It is unfortunate that no other online store that I know of can even touch the huge selection they have. I think they mainly appeal to the collectors who have little to no access to retail outlets.

Firebird
06-04-2002, 06:06 PM
Brian's Toys always sets their prices high. They are selling a Kit Fisto with background for 29.99. All their new figures seem to be priced between 10 and 20 bucks. The sad thing is people actually buy from them.

Vortex
06-04-2002, 06:19 PM
Here's another one for ya. I live in MN and Brian's toys is based outta WI. Well recently they opened a small kiosk in the Mall of America, and you should see the collectors flock to that stand. I just walk by and shake my head. I've never checked it out, but I'm sure the prices are exactly the same as the web site. And what's really sad is that there's a WM, Target, and TRU, blocks away and a FAO right down below them. You know they have their goons shopping these places every day.

eliwankenobi
06-04-2002, 06:19 PM
I'm sticking to my opinion that BT's is just another scalper. My opinion is based on this:

Sure BT's may have to pay a slightly higher price to buy their cases from Hasbro, in which a slightly higher markup would be necessary for BT's to recover their cost plus make a reasonable profit.
But when they take these same figures that go to Targets, WMs, TRUs, etc. and jack up the prices of the HTF or "variation" figs just to capitalize on collectors wants, IMO that's scalping.
There is no justification in that except to rip off collectors.

Hellboy
06-04-2002, 06:28 PM
I have bought a few things from BT's and was quite pleased with the customer service so I would probably shop there again but not after checking everywhere else first. Basically if you don't like their tactics simply don't buy from them. I'm glad they're in buisness for the people who cannot find what they are looking for anywhere else but do I think they are scalpers? HELL YES

wedgeA
06-04-2002, 06:57 PM
I would not pay more than $20 for any new SW figure (POTF2 and up), especially one of a "non-existant" character. Anyone who likes this figure, please explain his allure, I just don't get it.

bigbarada
06-04-2002, 07:07 PM
It would seem that we disagree on the actual definition of a scalper.

Irregardless, I still do business with BTs since I have been buying from and selling to them for over 7 years with not a single misplaced order. Plus their vintage section is hard to beat.

hango fett
06-04-2002, 08:01 PM
those prices are very dumb.....just wade out this storm and get them in a fe months......

Yoda'sMaster
06-04-2002, 08:04 PM
at 1 point brians toys had the sacul listid for 135$ :/

MikeAndTheBots
06-04-2002, 08:08 PM
The best online retailer for SW stuff is definately Yestertoys, Brian's Toys just sucks, a total ripoff.
Anyway, I saw a KE Jango for $15 once, no varitations no nothing, he's one of the biggest pegwarmers around here. It was online, forgot what site and it was only this week, it wasn't like it was 4/10 or something early.

edit: This was the biggest ripoff for a common figure, I've seen some rarer ones for some bigger cash.

Freedom
06-04-2002, 08:49 PM
I agree. Yestertoys has the best prices.

DarthBrandon
06-04-2002, 09:01 PM
I've bought from BT's twice and I did pay a little more for the figures I got, but hey 29.99 for Sio Bibble is not that bad considering that he never made it to where I live. As for the other prices it depends on how much you want them, I'm not saying that he's not ripping people off, cause he is. 19.99 for Count Dooku, I have tons where I'm at. 29.99 for Kit W/B, I paid 8.00 dollars Canadian for him. That's a far cry from 29.99 American. I also bought the FX-7 wave for 14.99 a piece and that's only cause they never came to where I'm at. BT sells their stuff like it's gold and sometimes it may be to certain people, but to me it's not.
BT's is a last resort for collectors like me who don't want to spend big money on E-bay for something. People tend to go to BT's when they feel it is a last resort, not because they like the prices, or the I'm gonna charge 45.00 cause the paint is wrong on this figure. They tend to buy there when Yesterday's and the lot do not have what they are looking for. As for the outrageous prices, I can't fathom why it's like that, he gets his goods directly from Hasbro. Why charge 15.00 dollars for a Jango KE, cause he lets you think that Jango is going to be as popular as Boba was. Also he charges outrageous prices for these so called variations, my butt, who wants these anyways, I mean I would rather buy something made right than wrong. Guess that's just me. Bottom line is I have rambled way too long, so here it is, other places are way cheaper, so go there first like I do and if ya can't find it go to BT's or E-bay and take a chance. Maybe try trading on the forums like I have.

Slacker Jedi
06-04-2002, 09:06 PM
I agree that Brian's Toys prices are outrageous! Have you seen how many pages of ads those guys buy in the toy magazines?

It's crazy, probably 25% of everything they make goes to buy ads in these magazines.

Jaina Solo, I don't think Sacul has ever sold on eBay for that much.

However, I did see a Toy Fair Darth Vader that came with a bonus 2 AOTC trailers sell for $200. It was gone so fast!

odi-wan windu
06-04-2002, 09:13 PM
It's not right..

Jedi Juice
06-04-2002, 10:51 PM
I see scalping as some guy who buys doubles of more than one figure in order to make a profit on ebay. Although the online stores may sell the figures at exceeded amounts of money, they are trying to stay in buisness (agreeing w/ bigbarada). If I don't find any of the newer figures soon, though, I may have to buy online.

bigbarada
06-04-2002, 10:58 PM
With the new Chewie being packed one per case and my local retailers cutting back on their orders (my K-Mart just slashed it's Star Wars section in half and isn't ordering new figures) I am thinking that I might have to rely on BTs to get the CC Chewie if things get bad enough.

plo koon 200
06-05-2002, 01:42 AM
On ebay the Toy Fiar Vader has seen a big increase in demand and its value is back into $200+

plo koon 200
06-05-2002, 01:46 AM
Of course what is really disgusting is how much this is going for.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1737105656

Listen to that B.S. he is saying about the cardback and everything. He talks as if that is a real Jorg Sacul.

LTBasker
06-05-2002, 07:26 AM
Well actually that auction is illegal. He's using George Lucas' image most likely without permission from him to make a profit which George will not see. Hehe, someone oughta bring that attention to Lucasfilm, instead of earning $81 he'd probably be spending a few thousand. :rolleyes:

On the Brianstoys issue, heck I was able to grab a background Kit Fisto a few days ago at Wal-Mart. :happy:

Forhekset
06-05-2002, 07:44 AM
The best places I've found to buy SW stuff online are KEBco and Yestertoys. :)

Forhekset
06-05-2002, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by plo koon 200
Of course what is really disgusting is how much this is going for.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1737105656

Listen to that B.S. he is saying about the cardback and everything. He talks as if that is a real Jorg Sacul.

Gah, look how much his Mace vs. Jango custom is going for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1737314974

JediBoulton
06-05-2002, 10:11 AM
Gee .. For a minute there -- I thought I saw Jorg Sacul wearing a white jumpsuit and implants. Its great that this guy has a cool computer and the ability to make custom cards -- but come on now -- dont sell them at a outragous price -- tell the people that they are a special custom and sell it for about $15-$20. But dont try to pass it off as a "RARE FIGURE" or something like that.

Brians toys is a little high -- especially on the new ATOC figures. However, for someone who is trying to "recreate" their vintage collection of ROTJ figures -- they have really good prices. I got a 20-Back Luke Skywalker C-7 for $120. The card was a little bent up and stuff but it looks GREAT -- and I am proud to have it in my collection. If Brians can get these figures for such a cheap price -- then he should not try to use his popularity to make a profit. Its seems unethical -- as a person, and as a businessman.

OriginalBryGuy
06-05-2002, 10:20 AM
I have to admit customs are cool, but I'd never pay for one...hmmm..how does one get into making them? hahah Just kidding.

pthfnder89
06-05-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by plo koon 200
On ebay the Toy Fiar Vader has seen a big increase in demand and its value is back into $200+

I guarantee you that in 6 months to a year both the Jorg Sacul and the Toy Fair Vader will be selling for $60 or less.:) I *might* consider buying one then...

LTBasker
06-05-2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by JediBoulton
Gee .. For a minute there -- I thought I saw Jorg Sacul wearing a white jumpsuit and implants. Its great that this guy has a cool computer and the ability to make custom cards -- but come on now -- dont sell them at a outragous price -- tell the people that they are a special custom and sell it for about $15-$20. But dont try to pass it off as a "RARE FIGURE" or something like that.

Actually he shouldn't be selling it AT ALL. It's an illegal unauthorized use of George Lucas' likeness in both the figure and the insert picture in which he's making a very illegal profit off of. Ebay could get fined for hosting an auction like that while that guy could also get fined or thrown into jail depending on how it would be taken. I'd guess that there is a good chance he could get thrown into jail.

OriginalBryGuy
06-05-2002, 11:08 AM
Illegal or not, customs get sold all the time. Hell, I have everything needed to make a Mace vs. Jango in a 300th Boba Fett figure box.

If I knew I could have gotten 300 for it I might have made one along time ago. haha

LTBasker
06-05-2002, 11:14 AM
It's not really the fact that it's a custom figure, it's that he's actually using George's likeness to make a profit, even if it weren't the figure that was the likeness, George's pic was ripped by him and using in the insert picture and now he's making a profit off of George that Lucas isn't getting royalties for.

QLD
06-05-2002, 01:03 PM
That Mace vs Jango custom looks real cool, wouldn't pay near that much for it though.

Forhekset
06-06-2002, 10:35 AM
I was just reading the news item that Powercollectibles.net had Palpatine and Djas Puhr in stock...they sure do, for $20 each! And they're trying to sell Yoda for $25!! Blegh, save your money and buy off eBay before giving an e-scalper like that any damn business.

Rogue II
06-06-2002, 12:43 PM
I wouldn't buy it off of E-bay quite yet. I don't think some stores have put this wave out yet. Have patience and keep checking the stores near you.

Forhekset
06-06-2002, 01:32 PM
Well actually I've already gotten a Palpatine and Djas Puhr, I just wanted to point out how awful Powercollectible.net's prices were. :)