PDA

View Full Version : Across the Stars

CrossWizard
04-23-2002, 04:20 PM
Bah, so much for big exclusive premiere featuring brand new footage, all they did was rehash all of the 3 trailers, paste them together and add the music. Nice piece by John Williams, too bad the video sucked big time.

derek
04-23-2002, 04:42 PM
this is the first john williams song i don't really care for. i keep expecting to see clint eastwood ride a horse into the sun set or something.;)

and there were way too many cuts of the "band" playing. who, except for their kids or mates, wants to see these people?

Pendo
04-23-2002, 05:00 PM
I have to disagree with you there derek, I like the song ALOT. I think it is cool. It doesn't beat the Imperial March, and Han and Leia's love theme is better, but I still like it!

Is the video to it really THAT bad??? How bad could it be? Is there any new footage on it?

PENDO!

CrossWizard
04-23-2002, 05:08 PM
Well, take all 3 of the trailers(the ones that played in theaters), and play them almost in order with cuts of Williams conducting and the band playing in between the scenes, then add a new scene where Anakin looks to the side, and you have the whole video. It reeks of sucktitude and feels like it was taped and edited several months ago.

Mike Troxell
04-23-2002, 07:34 PM
The track is actually a mix of all of the tracks and from what I hear they didn't do a good job :(

However, don't let it sour you on the score. It's definitely one of Williams' best in the last ten years (behind only A.I. Artificial Intelligence in my opinion, and directly above Saving Private Ryan and the Phantom Menace)

JEDIpartner
04-23-2002, 08:25 PM
I thought the video was a decent commercial for the film. No... it didn't hold all sorts of NEW footage. I think the thing that "messed it up" was that Lucas and Fox gave us SO many trailers this time around. We saw so much footage that there really wasn't a whole lot left without showing us the whole film. The music was bits and pieces of the score and wasn't sequenced all THAT badly. No... it wasn't the video for "Duel of the Fates", but I was happy to see it!

The soundtrack IS good... I agree.

bigbarada
04-23-2002, 09:19 PM
We already have four trailers with three of them having almost completely exclusive footage from the film. I think if the video had shown anymore then what would be the point of going to the theatre?

I really liked the Across the Stars theme, it has that sweeping dramatic feel that reminds me of movies like Lawrence of Arabia and The Ten Commandments.

So is the AI soundtrack that good Mike? I might have to check it out then.

Mike Troxell
04-23-2002, 11:06 PM
BB--A.I. is fantastic :) Completely innovative, fresh, and melodically stunning. If you want to see whether you'll like it first, I'd recommend sampling the tracks "Search for the Blue Fairy", "Abandoned in the Woods" and "Where Dreams are Born".

Derek--the "band" (actually the London Symphony Orchestra) has as much right to be there as anything from the movie, in my opinion. They worked hard and it showed. The music wouldn't have been nearly as brilliant without their input. Have some respect for the artists, please :(

AreTwo-DeeTwo
04-23-2002, 11:11 PM
To the people that were disapointed. What were you all expecting? I am not getting ****y just wondering what your expectations for this music video were? I was not expecting much from this video at all. An ad for the movie was what I was expecting and got that.
The only thing I can really complain about is that I do not like the deathsticks character. He sounded really lame. Apparently Kenobi and Anakin find themselves in Club Wuss.

Battle Droid
04-23-2002, 11:58 PM
The only thing I can really complain about is that I do not like the deathsticks character.

Yeah he's annoying (though i guess that's his purpose in the film), I'm glad he ownly has a cameo.

Co Jo-Da
04-24-2002, 01:44 AM
I was hoping for more new footage, but I'm not disapointed. I love the score and can't wait to see it blended into the final picture...

2-1B
04-24-2002, 03:36 AM
How can one claim the video is pure rehash when we get to see the deathsticks scene :confused:

I've watched it thrice now and I really like it. I've been spinning the soundtrack frequently and think ATS is a pretty decent track. It would have been fine by me if the video was based solely on the love theme, but that may have limited the film content they could match up. As with DOTF, I enjoy seeing some footage of Johnny and the orchestra . . . I notice George got his mug in there as well. :D

JEDIpartner
04-24-2002, 09:19 AM
...but thankfully there was no real sign of Rick McCallum (a/k/a Caesar's hero ;) )

Pendo
04-24-2002, 10:52 AM
Why is it a soundtrack for "Across the Stars"? It's more like "Across the Sountrack" because that's all it is, little bits from each track. I was kinda hoping it would be the whole "Across the Stars" track which I love. The way the music has been put together isn't that good. It was probably done so they could include some of the action sequences in the video, cause how could you fit in all that lightsabe action during the Across the Stars theme?
I was also kinda hoping for some new footage, but over 90% of it has been seen before. There were some 'updated' shots (such as the Republic Gunships leaving the battle), and I love the Death Sticks scene at the beginning.

For someone who hasn't seen any of the trailers, than the video would be cool, but for those who wanted new footage it's a bit of a dissapointment.
The Across the Stars track should also have been kept in its original form.

PENDO!

Pendo
04-24-2002, 11:19 AM
The link to the music video on starwars.com is musicvideo1.mov. Music Video #1??? Does this mean there will be more?

PENDO!

Lone Jedi
04-29-2002, 10:05 PM
I really want to have a copy on my PC without having to go directly through starwars.com.

"Any help here would be hot." (or whatever JJB said in TPM).

Pendo
04-30-2002, 10:24 AM
Try Morpheus or KaZaA, type in Across the Stars and it'll come up. If you don't have them download them from download.com.

PENDO!