PDA

View Full Version : you cheap b@st@rds! (lightsabers)

derek
04-23-2002, 04:37 PM
i just opened my new electronic anakin and count dooku sabers. everything is great, except the blades are about 4 inches shorter than the previous sabers. what's the deal here? they look kind of funny with these midget blades!:frus:

JediTricks
04-23-2002, 08:56 PM
Really? That sucks big time! The dang Ep1 sabers were a couple inches shorter than the Classic Trilogy ones!!! LAAAAME!

derek
04-24-2002, 09:22 AM
yea, i just lined up all 7 electronic sabers, and they have gotten smaller with each offering. it's the incredible shrinking lightsaber blade!

maybe hasbro will reveal that in the "olden times", jedi were better fighters and didn't need longer blades. or maybe hasbro losing 17 million last quarter had something to do with it.:crazed:

RooJay
04-26-2002, 07:24 PM
I haven't bought any of these yet, but I was disappointed when I saw Dooku's saber. It's not shaped right at all! Instead of being curved like the actual prop it's straight with a slight crook at the end! WEAK!

Eternal Padawan
04-27-2002, 10:35 AM
I'm waiting for them to go on clearance like all electronic lightsabers eventually do. :p

2-1B
05-07-2002, 04:28 PM
Dooku's is the first lightsaber I ever purchased, but it seemed way to short when I opened it. I feel I've been taken!
But it's a good lesson, I should have waited until they are clearanced instead of blowing $20 on it. :rolleyes:

DarthMaulSithLord
05-07-2002, 08:33 PM
Are the blades able to retract totally?

:)

2-1B
05-07-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by DarthMaulSithLord
Are the blades able to retract totally?

Nope, and it's too bad because I would love the love the look of a hilt all by itself.

DarthMaulSithLord
05-08-2002, 11:13 AM
Darn. Hasbro told us a couple months ago that they would be retractable! I read it in one of their press release articles. Damn you Hasbro! Btw is Obi-Wan's saber the exact same thing as the one from the E1 line?

Taichi
05-09-2002, 07:05 PM
I don't like the electronic sabers, because they're so inaccurate.....the only thing IMHO that they're good for, is to gut, to get the electronics to put into an accurate lightsaber....

the Dooku one is the greatest travesty of all, since it does NOT curve like it is supposed to.....

DarthMaulSithLord
05-09-2002, 07:09 PM
Do you have a comparison to show what you mean with the Dooku saber? I could look myself, but i have a bad feeling i might stumble upon a humongous spoiler.

Taichi
05-09-2002, 07:15 PM
Hrm.....gimme some time to find my pics of the REAL Dooku saber, and the Hasbro one, and I'll hook ya up!

DarthMaulSithLord
05-11-2002, 04:18 PM
Gotcha!

darthvyn
05-19-2002, 06:26 PM
if'n ya want a really cool looking lightsaber that actually makes noise and lights up, then check out master replicas "force fx" lightsabers. they're gonna make one of anakin's from episode II and one of vader's from OT. they're made of die cast hand assembled parts, with a poly propylene 3 ft. long blade and an electro luminescent core that lights up red or blue (depending on which one you get. go to www.masterreplicas.com. there's even a video of someone using one... it's a cool thing.

derek
05-21-2002, 12:22 AM
already pre-ordered them and am awaiting their arrival.:)

Obi-Don
05-21-2002, 12:50 AM
I have never bought any of the sabers,except for my kids and they were the cheap ones. I never liked them to much. Even the fx ones looked cheap.

LusiferSam
05-29-2002, 09:59 PM
I think the new electronic lightsabers are better most of the vintage ones. But on the other hand the "Force" lightsabers never got shorter as time went on. I'm so mad about that I could wield force lightening.

stillakid
05-29-2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by darthvyn
if'n ya want a really cool looking lightsaber that actually makes noise and lights up, then check out master replicas "force fx" lightsabers. they're gonna make one of anakin's from episode II and one of vader's from OT. they're made of die cast hand assembled parts, with a poly propylene 3 ft. long blade and an electro luminescent core that lights up red or blue (depending on which one you get. go to www.masterreplicas.com. there's even a video of someone using one... it's a cool thing.

Does anyone have the M.R. light up saber yet? I'm thinking about getting it but was hoping for someone else to take the plunge first. I actually like the hilt on that one more than the others (except Yoda's, which is pretty awesome), so I was also wondering if that blade was removable. :confused:

Thanks!

Ook
05-30-2002, 01:10 AM
They're shorter now? But do they come in long trays...?

Haw haa haw ha!

bigbarada
05-30-2002, 01:57 AM
I watched that video and it appears that the guy demonstrating the saber is using very controlled movements. It appears that the blade itself will "wobble" excessively if more aggresive moves are used. You can actually see it wobble a couple of times; but like the add said, they aren't designed to be toys so I guess that is okay.

JediTricks
05-30-2002, 04:11 AM
The MR saber advertising claims the blade is permanent. Right now, it's between the MR saber which has lights and sounds but no removable blade and costs $130 and the ParkSabers (http://www.parksabers.com) ones with light and a removable blade but no sound (and they're not meant to be movie-accurate props since these are his designs) and costs about twice as much. I've bought from Jeff Parks before a long while back, he has some pretty cool designs and his stuff seems pretty good, but what I bought was electronic. However, I can almost certainly buy different-color blades from parksabers and swap them out, and I know that Jeff's sabers were the same width as the official props back when I bought from him, so I have to see how much larger the MR Vader saber beyond the proper saber hilt size before I take the plunge.

stillakid
05-30-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
The MR saber advertising claims the blade is permanent. Right now, it's between the MR saber which has lights and sounds but no removable blade and costs $130 and the ParkSabers (http://www.parksabers.com) ones with light and a removable blade but no sound (and they're not meant to be movie-accurate props since these are his designs) and costs about twice as much. I've bought from Jeff Parks before a long while back, he has some pretty cool designs and his stuff seems pretty good, but what I bought was electronic. However, I can almost certainly buy different-color blades from parksabers and swap them out, and I know that Jeff's sabers were the same width as the official props back when I bought from him, so I have to see how much larger the MR Vader saber beyond the proper saber hilt size before I take the plunge.

Those Parksabers look really cool. I hadn't heard of them before. Thanks. I'll take a closer look a little later on.

darthvyn
05-30-2002, 10:52 AM
it looks like the blade part is a lot thinner than the one on the MR, other than that, the hilts look pretty much the same size... i just spoke to a rep from MR, and he said they will be shipping within the next two weeks... (of course, that's what he said two weeks ago, and two weeks before that... lol...) when we get them in, i'll let you all know what i think of them... my boss saw them, and is really psyched about them. (i work in a privately owned toys/collectibles store)

stilla, the blade is permanently attached, and seems really sturdy. but i'm sure if you don't want the light-up goodness, you could cut it off... just don't expect them to honor your warranty then... lol...

darthvyn
05-30-2002, 11:45 AM
in addendum, i just got off the phone with my boss who got the REAL scoop on the shipments, and it looks like the force fx won't be shipped 'til sometime in SEPTEMBER!!! mind you, these were ordered in january, or something like that...

the luke saber hilt and han blaster will be shipped some time in june, the AOC props a couple of weeks after that, and like i said, the fx ones some time in september. how these people are still in business is completely beyond me. of course there is no guarantee that these shipping dates are correct either...

JediTricks
05-31-2002, 01:12 AM
Is your boss sure that they weren't just referring to the Vader FX saber, which is due out in Sept? If not, that's a really bad sign after the Icons debacle.

Stilla, yeah, I think Jeff Parks makes some pretty nice sabers. If the MR Anakin FX sabers aren't shipping by August, I'm probably gonna ask grandma for one from Parks for my birthday, even though, as darthvyn correctly points out, the Parksabers ones have much skinnier blades (and they have no sound too). Parks claims his sabers' EL blades and metal hilts together are strong enough to duel with though, so there's the other side to that "thin blade" claim.... I'm so confused now. :crazed: ;)

stillakid
05-31-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Is your boss sure that they weren't just referring to the Vader FX saber, which is due out in Sept? If not, that's a really bad sign after the Icons debacle.

Stilla, yeah, I think Jeff Parks makes some pretty nice sabers. If the MR Anakin FX sabers aren't shipping by August, I'm probably gonna ask grandma for one from Parks for my birthday, even though, as darthvyn correctly points out, the Parksabers ones have much skinnier blades (and they have no sound too). Parks claims his sabers' EL blades and metal hilts together are strong enough to duel with though, so there's the other side to that "thin blade" claim.... I'm so confused now. :crazed: ;)

The Malestrom is pretty wicked looking, but the more I think about it, the more it looks like some kinda Trekkie thing. If I do order one, it'll probably be the Rogue. Nice solid traditional saber, just like pop used to use.

I can live without the sound fx as none of my toy ones really work that great anyway. The video for the MR one isn't all that impressive either, in terms of the noise factor.

It's a lot of money though. I'll have to wait at least til the Gamecube pain has gone away. :)