PDA

View Full Version : why go to MM if you arent going to buy all the figs?

aikman
04-23-2002, 04:45 PM
Ive noticed a few posters went to MM but only bought a few figs?
Question: why ?
I shelled out a bunch of $ but I got everything and now im good...for a while

LTBasker
04-23-2002, 04:48 PM
Probably because they wanted the experiance also and either couldn't afford ALL the figures or didn't want them all and just wanted some. It makes perfect sense... It's not like you were obligated to spend alot of money. :)

Jedi Law Student
04-23-2002, 05:28 PM
Since I'm one of the collectors you are talking about, I'll give you my reasons for not buying all the figures last night. It was partly about budget constraints, but even more importantly, it was about the way I like to collect. I usually only buy one or two figures at a time. Last night, I bought four basic figures. But I also bought one deluxe figure and the Reek beast. Now, for the cost of the Reek and the deluxe fig (Darth Tyranus, btw), I could have had 4, almost 5 more basic figures. Then, I suppose I would have bought roughly 1/3 of the initial basic assortment. But I had decided in advance that if I couldn't get the basic Count Dooku, I would get the deluxe figure (Dooku is my favorite new character so far in Episode II). As for the Reek, well, that was kind of a last minute decision. I decided I needed a new pet. :D

So in answer to your question, I just collect differently than a lot of people do. I get 1 or 2 at a time like I did when I was a kid. I realize that strategy might not be the most effective or efficient in this age of scalpers, but I like it and it works for me. Now, I'm contemplating what to get on my next trip to Wal-Mart....

fourtwo
04-23-2002, 05:35 PM
i was gonna go to laugh at all the freaks buying way to much stuff, and to get the figs i thought would be tough to find later on.
but alas, we never had MM here
:mad:

neimoidian85
04-23-2002, 05:38 PM
I got the ones that I liked or thought would be hard to find at MM. Later I will wait for the crappola figures to go down to 2.98 and save like 50 bucks.

derek
04-23-2002, 05:42 PM
i just can't justify paying full price for little boba, artoo, the battle droid, and peasant anni. i'll wait to get these pegwarmers later.:)

icatch9
04-23-2002, 05:44 PM
Well I too am one of those who went and didn't buy it all. I am a completest, so I get every 3 3/4' figure and vehicle (I don't buy 12" or role playing stuff). So, I had the money, but wasn't interested in buying everything that I could last night. I don't know why, I just like to shop, and so I wanted to have something to look for this week. I know it is silly, but I couldn't have every figure last night (my MM didn't get the Royal Guard Wave, or Dooku wave) so I couldn't complete the set.

It was for the experience. I love all the rush, excitiement, and yes all the freaks and weirdos who show up too. It's a mad scene man, and it's all in good fun. Sure, it gets out of hand from time to time, but we are only going to get to do this one more time, so better soak up the amazment now.

neimoidian85
04-23-2002, 05:45 PM
I bought all of them for TPM. It was sucky. I had nothing to search for in WalMart for weeks. Now I can look for deals, especially at flee markets. Thank God for Appalachians.

bigbarada
04-23-2002, 08:34 PM
Why not?

I buy what I like, I am not a completist so I saw no reason to waste money on figures I would be sick of within a year. I bought everything I could find for Ep1, no what do I have? I giant box of toys that I neither display, look at or even care about anymore.

Omega Fett
04-23-2002, 08:47 PM
WTF i went and got 16 figs or more and 4 were doubles and i went last night instead of having to wait like a ididot or search for one going place to place,why not just get them with one big swoop and get the other pegwamers later!i was the first person there and first to grab figs lol! i went all over today and didint see any of the rare ones i got last night for cheap at wall mart like yoda,zam,anakin duel, and others until i went to kay bees and they had almost all figs cept a few including no Dookus ( i dont think anyone at the MM i went to got a Dooku) but its because their figs are $7.99!! i would buy a dooku from there but THATS IT!

aikman
04-24-2002, 09:28 AM
If you dont have the money to get them all thats one thing,
and obviously if you arent a completist thats another.

I just find it interesting that people would go through the trouble to go to MM and not get everything while its there?
Im new to this forum and thought that most people here would go crazy MM (like i did). I didnt think that people would be so into collecting star wars (to hang out in a forum) but yet dont get all the figs.

Good point about not finding everything for weeks after the initial MM, but id rather have them all then not be able to find any. Sure some sales will come but 2.99 for these figs will be months off.
Lets be honest, if you can wait 6 months for these figs to get blown out on clearance , you probably dont really want them much, am i wrong?

JEDIpartner
04-24-2002, 11:15 AM
I went to "morning mayhem" just to see what it was all about. I have no intention of getting all the figures to begin with, but I just wanted to see everyone acting like savages. I can tell you I certainly wasn't disappointed! :D

BanthaPoodoo
04-24-2002, 11:28 AM
Here in MS I think I am the only person that collects SW at all.

I went last night at 7:00 PM & got every figure but Nikto Jedi, Jango Kamino & Taun We.

I thought I had them in my buggy (Nikto & Jango) but when I got home they werent. Taun We is MIA around here..... :(

So now I get to go back & buy the Nikto & Jango I missed last night!!!

They had MM here, but apparently no one gave a durn as I can get every fig but 1 (Taun We). Thats gonna be fun though, hunting for that one fig.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-24-2002, 12:11 PM
I'm glad I went. There were so many figures that went quickly, i.e. Luminara, Dooku, Clone Trooper, Zam, Taun We, Royal Guard, Yoda, so if you weren't there you wouldn't get them. Heck, the TRU in my county was the third highest seller of EP1 stuff on the west coast so they got literally a truck-full of stuff and didn't get any figures after Zam except for a few Jar Jars.