PDA

View Full Version : Batman Begins (merged)

Pages : [1] 2

scruffziller
04-23-2002, 08:18 PM
Any word when it is coming out?

Dryanta
04-23-2002, 08:30 PM
I haven't heard yet.I hope they make a real Batman movie this time.One that is based and looks like the comics.

187-Maul
04-23-2002, 08:48 PM
I hope they make it like the first two movies where Batman still was the bad@ss motherf**er and kept himself dark and secret
and they have to find a cool new bruce wayne

Dryanta
04-23-2002, 08:55 PM
187_maul.Do you read the comics?I have for almost thirty years now and all of the movies were a major disapointment to me.
Your discription of the Batman is right on.But I really didn't see Micheal Keaton living up to the image of "the Man".Bruce Wayne is 6'2" and well over two hundred pounds of perfect muscle.He has a voice that could freeze water and unmatched fighting and detective skills.I want the real Batman in a movie.Not what IMHO have been really feeble and idiotic attempts.I am glad you liked the first two though:)

Wolfwood319
04-23-2002, 09:11 PM
I think the closest we'll ever get to the comics is the first Batman animated series. By far the best American Cartoon of all time, (not counting the Simpsons, which is more like an animated sitcom.)

I think that a lot of people who like Michael Keaton as Batman, never read a Batman comic. Dryanta hit the description right on, big, dark, and brooding. The movies never got it right, especially the costume. Batman doesn't wear rubber.

Dryanta
04-23-2002, 09:24 PM
nope no rubber.Spandex.kevlar and nomex.I agree wolfwood most who liked keaton had no refence point on the character.And I agree the animated series was awesome.The closest representation of the Batman to date.Enough so it actually added to the comic in the form of Harley Quinn.

Wolfwood319
04-23-2002, 09:31 PM
The only way I think that the film series could make a justifiable movie is if the man, Frank Miller, wrote the screenplay, and had a large part in the creative aspect of the film. Nobody does Batman like Frank Miller, nobody. Although Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale's "Long Halloween" and "Dark Victory" are very very close to perfection as well.

Dryanta
04-23-2002, 09:35 PM
exactly.Miller would be the man.As long as they kept him free unlike the Robocop movie he wrote

187-Maul
04-24-2002, 05:09 AM
well I read the DC batman comics a couple of years ago and have a couple of otherstyle drawn comics too (like batman dark knight)
I liked the animated series although I think I first knew the movie and then the comic so the movie never was a big disappointment to me

LTBasker
04-24-2002, 09:10 AM
I have read Batman comics, not a real comic buff but I have read some of them but I enjoyed Michael Keaton's Batman. The first 2 movies were good, but Forever and Batman and Robin just flat-out sucked.

Originally posted by Dryanta
Bruce Wayne is 6'2" and well over two hundred pounds of perfect muscle.He has a voice that could freeze water and unmatched fighting and detective skills.

Oh you've met him? :D

I don't mind the rubber for the costumes, much better than the Adam West costume. ;) I think the best costume however is the Batman/Batman Returns costumes.

I wish they'd go more by the animated series though, it was sickening that they went with Barbra being Alfred's niece and being played by Silverstone.

So far planned is Batman: Year One and a live-action Batman Beyond but I think they can't get proper funding so they haven't started any work at all on it. Though I'm not sure what the hold up is, I wish they'd release'em. Although if they do, then I hope they follow the series VERY CLOSELY on Batman Beyond and for Year One they better go back to the 1989 movie apperance of Batman since it would be a prequel.

SithDroid
04-24-2002, 11:27 AM
The only reason they go with the huge rubber costumes is because the actors that they chose to play those roles couldn't beef up that much. I agree that a costume more like the comic is needed, but hopefully not as bad as the Adam West one. It seems to me the reason they put them in these "alternate" or "beefed" up costumes is to appeal to a wider range of people. I was kind of disappointed when I saw X-Men and saw that no one wore their original costume. The only character that had a costume that looked like it belonged to her was Storm. Sabretooths costume was pretty close to the comics as well. I hope for X2 we get to see them in Classic uniforms.

Dryanta
04-24-2002, 12:28 PM
Lol Lt
No I haven't met him.But if anyone has ever picked up a Batman comic and looked at how he is depicted they would know none of the actors that have played the part fit the bill.There has also been a large almost overwhelming number of physical stats. given on him that you can also have a definitve version of who and how he should be.I personally know of no actor that could really fill the shoes,but I would like them to come a whole lot closer then they have before.

LTBasker
04-24-2002, 01:20 PM
True, but most of all, they definitely should've done better with Robin, Batgirl, Bane, and Two-Face. (Who didn't want to see Lando as two-face? :rolleyes: )

Dryanta
04-24-2002, 01:52 PM
I'm still alittle undecided on who should have played Two Face.What I think is the charcter should have been handled alot better than he was.As far as Bane Robin and Batgirl I couldn't agree more

Wolfwood319
04-24-2002, 02:46 PM
They butchered Bane's character, as well as Mr. Freezes, IMO. They are nothing like they are in the comics. But, with the exception of the Joker, they've never really gotten any of the villains right. Well, I thought DeVito as the Penguin was dead on too.

If they do go ahead with the Batman: Year One movie, it'll be based off of Miller's Batman: Year One story line, not a prequel to the first movie. The first Batman movie was already like a Year One-ish story. So it really couldn't be a prequel, it'll just be a different movie altogether.

SithDroid
04-24-2002, 06:33 PM
I agree Jack Nicholson as the Joker was perfect. Danny Devito was pretty good as was Michelle Phiffer even although her character was a little crazy. Two-face was nothing like he is in the comics. Jim Carrey was amazing as the Riddler even although I didn't agree with his bright pink/red hair, it's a shame that he was in one of the bad Batman movies. Uma Thurman did an alright job as Poison Ivy, but Bane was horrible as was Arnold Schwartzenneger as Mr. Freeze. Arnold was completely miscast, he looked nothing like Mr. Freeze and I don't think that he is as muscular as Arnold is. I hope the next Batman Movie is better than the last two pieces of crap we got.

187-Maul
04-24-2002, 07:55 PM
since I saw batman forever when i was very young I liked it and I can't lose that feeling so I still like it
as far as the characters, joker, pinguin man and catwoman had really good-fitting actors but bane: I HATED they did that! Bane was my favorite villain from the comis (still is) and I have two figures of him: the animated series one (didn't like that one THAT much and the dark knight one (6") and my brother has the one from the movie (which looks nothing like the movie but still VERY good)
and poison ivy wasn't good either: they should have used a more beatiful actress (don't really like uma thurman) cause she always was the pretty one in the comic (besides catwoman of course)
the riddler, mr freeze and two face were OK in the movies and the actors did their job well but they didn't look like the comic (but since it's the movie and not the comic it doesn't totally have to fit)
oh yeah batgirl sucked big time and robin was OK too in my oppinion cause he came on good in BM forever and I liked him since as robin

RooJay
04-25-2002, 11:45 PM
Hopefully with Batman Year One as the (hopefully) storyline for the (hopefully to be produced) new movie we will finally get the film Batman we comic fans have always wanted! I'm kinda hoping for an R rating, even though I know it'll NEVER happen. The right director could pull it off with a PG13. Speaking of directors, I'm hoping Darren Aronofsky is the right guy (Frank Miller seems to like him!). I've never seen any of his movies (unfortunately), but I hears he's quite good. I've also stated in other threads that I think Billy Zane would make a great Batman with the right direction. He physically looks the part; he's pretty tall, physically imposing, he's got a great voice, does creepy pretty well (Demon Knight and Dead Calm anyone?), and he has experience in several superhero type roles (Phantom, Invincible). Plus, his Cal Hockley in Titanic really reminded me a lot of Bruce Wayne (when the character wasn't being so much of a jerk!)! He hasn't been known for great performances, but like I said, the right director should be able to get the right performance out of him no trouble at all! If not Aronofsky then my vote goes to David Fincher. He'd do it right!
Hopefully the new Spider-Man movie will be good enough that it will make Hollywood realize that a good movie can be had in sticking closer to the comics.

RooJay
04-25-2002, 11:52 PM
By the way...my choice for the Joker in the new franchise (no offense to Jack who was great in his own way) would be Jim Carrey. Even though he's already played the Riddler (and not to very good effect in my opinion. Actually, now that I think of it his Riddler was a much better Joker!) I'd like to see him back as the clown prince of crime. He'd be awesome playing Joker REALLY dark and psychotic (and if he downplays the physical and toilet humor); more like playing the character as a more dramatic role than as a comedic one. Then again...it'd take a good director...the RIGHT director.

LTBasker
04-26-2002, 01:08 AM
I think Jim Carrey would definitely be a good Joker, especially if more or less based on the series Joker cause he is kinda thin and more younger looking. Although no matter who plays the Joker they should be voiced-over by Mark Hamill, I've watched the series for so long I can't imagine anyone else doing a voice for that type of Joker.

Eternal Padawan
04-26-2002, 10:11 AM
Talking about having a ripped and cut, bulking, 6'2, 220 lb guy in skin tight lycra playing the Bat is that you will end up casting the Rock or somebody similar. You really need to cast Bruce Wayne, the crackpot crimefighter with serious issues that feels the need to dress up in tights and fight crime to avenge the death of his parents over two decades ago. That is a multi faceted, complex character that needs somebody like Michael keaton ( who I think was an excellent brooding Batman/Bruce Wayne) playing him rather than musclebound beefcake dujour.

The problem with the Batman films (aside from Joel directing and Akiva writing) was the too many characters syndrome. Two or three villains per movie, plus stuffing Robin and Batgirl in there eventually was way too much. One villain per film. I'm glad Spidey is doing it the right way.

scruffziller
05-10-2002, 06:49 PM
Patrick Stewert should have been Mr. Freeze I think he would have been COLD!!!! like he was suppose to be. The unforutnate thing is that what they did to make the movies "sell" ruined them
the story. Take Stewert's performance of Lecutis and you have a "PERFECT" Mr. Freeze!!!!!!!!!

scruffziller
05-10-2002, 06:54 PM
Overall I think that Val Kilmer made the best Bruce Wayne. George Clooney looked the best as Batman, and Keaton did the best Batman charachter personality. Altough some argue that Keaton's Batman was more like Azreal not Batman.

JediTricks
05-10-2002, 08:12 PM
Scruff, I like your point about Patrick Stewart's performance of Locutis of Borg being right for Freeze - good call!

As for Clooney, I thought he didn't have the look down at all while wearing the mask (or not), but the rest I agree with. To me, the choice of Clooney was simply because he's a big-name Warner Bros contract player, I didn't see ANYTHING of Batman in him... no wait, I did see reminants of the '60s TV show version, but is that what we really needed, a smiling, smug-looking Batman?

SithDroid
05-11-2002, 12:53 AM
I always thought Patrick Stewart would have been the perfect Mr. Freeze. Oh well, stupid Warner Brothers doesn't really make good movies anymore. They just hire big name actors to sell the film instead of actually getting people right for the part. Also, whoever has been writing their scripts needs to go. The only show I can stand of the WB is Smallville. Heck the entire WB lineup is geared towards teenagers, which IMO their movies are as well.

George Clooney, horrible. Definately the WORST Batman.

I hope the Batman Franchise can be saved.

RooJay
05-11-2002, 04:35 AM
Now they're trying to get Vin Diesel to play the Flash!!! VIN DIESEL! THE FLASH!!! I wish it were possible to overthrow corporate boards of directors like it's possible to overthrow third world dictatorships! I would study the art of guerilla warfare and usurp control of Warner Brothers! I would have each of the board members assassinated and personally behead the CEO and bathe in his blood!:crazed::evil:

...just kidding. Mostly.;)

When I think of the Flash, I think of running. Vin Diesel is cool and all, but he doesn't make me think of running.

...unless he's chasing me!

SithDroid
05-11-2002, 09:38 AM
See, Vin Diesel for the Flash. The Flash is a Warner Brothers character. See how stupid they are when trying to cast people. The only reason they want him is because he is huge with TEENAGERS right now, with Pitch Black, The Fast and the Furious, and XXX. Vin is Totally wrong for the part. He has the body of Superman, but not the looks. Bane would be the only character I could see him play. Oh well, perhaps Warner Brothers will learn how to actually start making goods movies again. They have one every once in a while, but most of them are just horrible.

Eternal Padawan
05-11-2002, 10:30 AM
I think Vin Diesel gets his name attached to EVERYTHING. They wanted him for Daredevil, too. And at one point his name was mentioned with Spidey. So, you know, when they get around to the Sub Mariner movie, or the Iron Man movie, Diesel's name will be there.

2-1B
05-12-2002, 02:29 AM
The casting decisions in these movies are really suspect, next thing you know they'll be tauting Ben Affleck as Daredevil. Like that's possible.

JT, I watched Batman on TVLand the other night and I can kinda see what you mean about seeing a bit of West in Clooney. But for me it's more of a hint in the voice.

I think I'm going to have to root against Bad Company at the box office, only to discourage anyone WB related from rehiring a successful Shumacher. :crazed:

JediTricks
05-13-2002, 12:22 AM
Vin Diesel as the Flash? Almost sounds like it's already being directed by Joel Schumacher, what happened to Warner Bros?!? Where are they getting all this crack they're smoking? It almost makes you long for the days of Nick Cage as Superman... ok, sorry, that was low. :p

RooJay
05-13-2002, 12:36 AM
I guess we can look forward to Marvel comics owning the theaters for the next decade! Bad news for me, being a dyed in the wool DC fan (just MY personal preferrence).
I do have to admit that I'd really love to see Vin Diesel as Venom though! He'd be my #1 pick! As long as they wait at least until after Spider-Man 2 for his film debut!

SithDroid
05-13-2002, 01:23 AM
Yeah, Marvel is definately going to own the theatres for the next couple of years, which is alright by me because Marvel is what I was raised on.

The problem with Warner Brothers owning ALL DC characters is that that means only one character can usually be done at a time. Next year alone from Marvel we are getting X-Men 2, The Hulk, and Daredevil. With DC, we could probably only see one per year. I think WB needs some new management because they haven't been doing a great job with anything recently. The only movie that they have made recently that is decent is Harry Potter. I hope they can get back on track and actually pull off some DECENT superhero movies. The Batman Franchise NEEDS saving. A new Superman Franchise would be cool, but only if they can pull it off. The problem with WB is that they DO NOT KNOW HOW TO CAST. Jack Nicholson as the Joker was perfect and so was Jim Carrey as The Riddler. Other than those two the casting has been really horrible for every major character. Michael Keaton was the BEST Batman of them all. He had the look when in the suit, a good commanding voice, and played a very low key easy going Bruce Wayne. Although not the typical body type of Bruce Wayne, he definately did the best job in that role.

Vin Diesel would probably be a good Venom. He certainly has the body for it. However, I think he'd have to actually grow some hair for this role. :D

JediTricks
05-13-2002, 06:54 PM
One more thing that makes Marvel such a good contender for "owning the theaters" is that they don't stick with one studio for their films - X-men was 20th Century Fox, Blade was New Line, and Spider-Man was Sony/Columbia.

The Batman cinema franchise did need saving, now it just needs a proper burial IMO - WB cannot salvage it the way they make movies (see Lethal Weapon 2, 3 and 4 for perfect examples of the decline of this studio). As for Jim Carrey as the Riddler, I thought he was pretty weak - the Riddler is supposed to be calculating and cold, not some rubber-faced screaming goofball.

Dryanta
05-13-2002, 08:00 PM
I have to agree with JT.Bury it.I am a huge Batman fan from way back.I didn't like any of the films.I didn't like any of the casting.Not the Joker,orCatwoman,Penguin, riddler,two face ,Bane,Ivy and not one single Batman/Bruce Wayne was good.Sorry If I sound so down on the films but I am really am.Every one of them was disapointment.Wb needs to bury them and wait long enough for some one with respect for the character to come along and do it right.Same with Supes.Writing, casting all of it was bad.Sorry guys .too much of a fan to like any of them.

RooJay
05-14-2002, 05:47 AM
Well Dryanta, the good thing about these new Batman and Superman projects is that, at least as far as Batman is concerned (we should hope the same can eventually be said of Superman), they are getting new guys to do them that care about the characters (who can do Batman better than Frank Miller?!). The old Batman franchise IS dead. Thankfully so! The new Batman franchise is hopefully just about to begin!

...and yes, Jim Carrey made a pretty poor Riddler. He would make a GREAT Joker though! As long as his is the shoot-people-in-the-face-and-then-laugh Joker and not the goofy dancin' and one liner spoutin' Joker.

JediTricks
05-14-2002, 11:59 PM
And yet, Joel Schumacher wants to make another Batman film! He claims he wants to do it right to make it up to the fans. I say he should be sent to sleep with Jimmy Hoffa.

RooJay
05-15-2002, 12:23 AM
I highly doubt they'd let him have the chance! Plus, the only way he'd ever make it up to the fans is if he never makes another movie again! EVER!

SithDroid
05-15-2002, 07:01 PM
Agreed RooJay. Schumacher completely messed up the Batman franchise. IMO it is dead. He killed it and it is going to be hard to win back fans. However resurrecting it now would be too early. A nice length of time should pass before they decide to attack the Batman franchise again, similar to the gap that exists now between the Superman movies (if we are indeed getting a new one soon). Why doesn't WB realize that being true to the comics is what sells tickets. Spider-man and X-Men were very true to the comics and they did very well.

RooJay
05-16-2002, 05:28 PM
If Frank Miller and Darren Aronofsky are allowed to make their Batman: Year One movie without studio interference, and with a decent budget (which we all know it would have), you would see that, while the OLD franchise is dead, there is still plenty of life and viability in Batman films. There is not a doubt in my mind that this movie (or ANY Batman movie, even another Schumacher Batman) would gross NO LESS than 200 million at the box office. If it's done the right way it could easily pull in Spider-Man's numbers.
By the way, the lapsed time since the last Superman movie (keep in mind, that movie was GOD AWFUL!) has served only to take Superman out of the spotlight. The five years that have passed since Batman and Robin is more than enough time. Furthermore, this IS the right time for the NEW Batman franchise to make it's appearance. Comic Book movies are THE hot thing in Hollywood right now, and stand a good chance of ruling the box office for the next few years. What better time than now to reintroduce Batman (the REAL Batman) to movie audiences? Should they wait until the public is sick of Comic Book movies? Should they release it when the Comic Book movie trend goes bust like the recent teen horror movie trend did? That's just bad business.

Lord Malakite
05-16-2002, 05:44 PM
What I would like to see is a good live action movie of Batman Beyond. A shaven Christopher Lee would make an excellent Derek Powers (Blight).

scruffziller
08-23-2002, 08:16 AM
NEWS FLASH MARYLIN MANSON HAS BEEN CAST TO PLAY THE SCARECROW PERFECT CHOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

darthvyn
08-23-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
And yet, Joel Schumacher wants to make another Batman film! He claims he wants to do it right to make it up to the fans. I say he should be sent to sleep with Jimmy Hoffa.

buried under la guardia airport?

JediTricks
08-24-2002, 04:34 AM
Scruff, Manson shot that rumor down 6 months ago.

scruffziller
08-24-2002, 09:30 AM
Oh really, I just heard it yesterday.

Look here Marilyn Manson in talks (http://movies.go.com/movies/B/batmanyearone_2002/index.html)

It doesn't look like actually cast yet, but look at the news list 8/22/02.

jjreason
08-25-2002, 04:15 AM
I would take Vin Diesel as James Rhodes in a movie version of Iron Man - that's about it.

BatMan does need a good click on the reset button, no sense in hanging on to what has been played out on the big screen over the past few years. We need a dark, gritty crime drama with action hero bits, not an action film with only secondary (or worse tertiary if you figure in the CG) consideration given to getting the characters right. I hate movies like that (except TPM and AOTC, of course....yikes....thin ice)

JediTricks
08-27-2002, 04:59 AM
I believe they're quoting Countingdown.com who was quoting a rumor in Variety from a year ago that got shot down a few weeks later.

Hellboy
08-27-2002, 07:06 PM
I'm sure it's been mentioned before but I think Colin Farrell has what it takes to portray Batman in a Year One adaptation.

scruffziller
12-21-2002, 09:13 AM
There's a rumor (a very far-fetched one, we're hoping) that Eminem is in talks to play the buff Dark Knight.

That was from Counting Down.

Even as a big Em fan, I would only wish to see him play Robin.

I heard another rumor that Dee Schneider of Twisted Sister fame is to play the Scarecrow.

LTBasker
12-21-2002, 10:17 AM
Ok,

Marilan Manson - Just a false rumor.
Eminem - FORTUNATELY just a false rumor.

If either one of them were to enter the Batman franchise it would be the true end to the Dark Knight. After Batman and Robin it just can't handle anymore stuff like that...

JediTricks
12-21-2002, 05:05 PM
I'd like to see Eminem play Robin, but only the Jason Todd version. :dead:

;) :D

Eternal Padawan
12-23-2002, 10:18 AM
Oh goodie! Batman speakies!

The latest I heard about the Batman and Superman movies is they were developing both simultaneously so each could get their own movie, then the third film would be a World's Finest team up deal. So then they flipped a coin (or whatever) and decided to do the Superman movie first. The one with Abrams' script that everyone despised because Luthor turned out to be an alien. But then WB came out and sair they were rewriting it to make the fanboys less likely to hurl.

After Superman comes out, they will go back and fast track the Batman film. It probably won't be a year one story, but it will throw out the :spasm: continuity from the other four films and show a younger, less veteran Caped Crusader.

My theory is they should sign each actor (Supes and Bats) to a three picture deal. First each one gets their own showcasing film, then their second film would be the team up, and the third film would be a Justice League movie a few years down the road after a Flash, Green lantern and WonderWoman movie (natch, each of those people would sign a multi pic deal also.) That would kick the DC movie-o-rama into high gear.

Rumor control: Somebody told Farrell he was Batman and he said "Huh? First I heard of it..." so Colin will NOT be playing Bats unless the hire him at some point down the road.

RooJay
12-24-2002, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by scruffziller
There's a rumor (a very far-fetched one, we're hoping) that Eminem is in talks to play the buff Dark Knight.

The only thing that could possibly be worse than Bat-Nipples!

scruffziller
02-19-2003, 09:56 AM
New news

02/10/03
Several news items here: Guy Pearce (Memento) might play Batman, and the Batman: Year One concept is all-but-officially dead. Looks like Pearce's Memento director, Christopher Nolan is at the helm of Batman 5, which could still be subtitled The Frightening. (The Daily Telegraph)

02/03/03
Director Darren Aronofsky (Pi, Requiem for a Dream) has all-but-officially left his version (Batman: Year One) of the fifth Batman movie, leaving director Chris Nolan (Insomnia, Memento) to revive the franchise. (Comics2Film, Cinema Confidential)

01/06/03
Looks like there could be movement on the Batman: Year One (sometimes known as Batman 5) front. If this Ain't It Cool News report is true, two writers (with credits including Fearless and The Road Warrior) turned in a draft on Dec. 23 that is quite dark and features Scarecrow as the Dark Knight's nemesis. Here's a script review. (Ain't It Cool News)

Starring Aaron Eckhart (rumored), John Cusack (rumored), Marilyn Manson (rumored), Guy Pearce (rumored)

Director(s) Chris Nolan (rumored)

Screenwriter(s) Rafael Yglesias, Terry Hayes (rumored)

Studio Warner Bros.

SithDroid
02-19-2003, 06:04 PM
Finally an actor that would be great in the role. Guy Pearce would be perfect. Althought the story would have to be a good one to revive this dead franchise.

Greyfolk
02-23-2003, 11:32 AM
*ahem*
I had to edit this post. I asked about making a Superman movie, I didn't realized that 'Superman Lives' is coming out in 14 months. I'd like to see them remake the old ones, or atleast the first one.

RooJay
02-24-2003, 12:05 PM
14 months?
Where does that info come from?

scruffziller
02-26-2003, 12:15 PM
Ready for yet another Batman casting rumor? This one is way out of left field: Patrick Warburton may play the Caped Crusader. You may know Warburton as TV's The Tick or from his recurring role on Seinfeld as Puddy.

JediTricks
02-26-2003, 07:25 PM
I could see him as a Superman (or even better, a comedic Superman movie, but that's not gonna happen), but not Bats, he's neither smooth enough to be Bruce Wayne nor dark enough to be Batman.

jblodgett
02-27-2003, 03:19 PM
Egads... Puddie to play Batman? Yuck. (Although Batmanuel was funny in the Tick live action show)

Lets face it, since Michael Keaton (physically limited though he was) there has not been anyone mysterious enough to play the dark knight.

The two Tim Burton Batman films at least attempted to follow the comic premise. i.e. that he was a mysterious figure who did everything at night. The two subsequent movies were so bad I think it is criminal that they bear the name Batman. But -- the same is true with Superman.

RooJay
04-17-2003, 10:50 PM
Someone over at the DC Comics forums recently posted these pics that I thought might be of interest here. There was no information attached to them, but from what I was able to gather they appear to be from a student film produced at the University of Alberta.

It's too bad Warner Brothers couldn't come up with something this cool and faithful looking.:(

RooJay
04-17-2003, 10:54 PM
Here's another

RooJay
04-17-2003, 10:55 PM
Last one

icatch9
04-18-2003, 08:55 AM
I didn't realize that student films could do such things. I mean do movies of copyrighted characters.

It is cool, a little to "spandexy" for me, but still dead on.

LTBasker
04-18-2003, 11:54 AM
I'm thinking it's being done by two guys who made a Batman Year One movie. It was only about two minutes along because they made it trailer length and just tossed some stuff in past Bruce's and Dick's parents' death. It was quite good though, but the Batman suit looked the same as in the movie trailer so I'm thinking it's the same people. They had had plans to do a bigger movie production with it.

Edit: Nope, not their project. These pics are a complete mystery wrapped in an engima, which would be funny if the villian of theirs was the Riddler.

scruffziller
04-18-2003, 02:41 PM
WHAT MOVIE TRAILER?????????? GIVE US A LINK!!!!!!!!!!!!

JON9000
04-19-2003, 08:49 PM
I'll say it again. The best actors for Superheroes are relative unknowns. Leave the big names for the ancillary parts. The trend was started with Superman and it works everytime I see it. Clooney, Kilmer, Keaton? Wasn't like watching Batman, it was like watching each of them in a costume. Tobey Maguire, Christopher Reeve, Hugh Jackman? Genius. Guy Pierce might be able to pull it off, especially as a polished Bruce Wayne, but he is pretty short, isn't he?

James Boba Fettfield
04-19-2003, 09:32 PM
I don't know about that. Snipes and Affleck proved they could play the comic characters, and they were both well known when they went into their roles.

LTBasker
04-19-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
WHAT MOVIE TRAILER?????????? GIVE US A LINK!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's fanmade, it's a movie-trailer meaning the whole "trailer" is the movie. If you still want the link I'll be happy to give it to ya, it's like a 20 meg quicktime file.

JON9000
04-19-2003, 10:49 PM
I never saw Daredevil. I wouldn't put Blade on the level of Superman, Spiderman, or X-Men, although I would say it was pretty good. The difference for me with Blade is I never even heard of the character (I'll relinquish my cool card) before the movie, so it was no loss. I think the real trick, particularly with Superman and Spiderman, is that the actors were able to pull off the Superhero bit AND the alterego. Reeve was not only perfect for the role of Superman, but he also played the bumbling Clark Kent to perfection. Dean Kane simply couldn't pull it off.

RooJay
04-19-2003, 10:51 PM
I've actually uncovered a bit more information. This is actually not a student film, but is in fact a project of Sandy Collora (I have yet to uncover if this is in fact the same Sandy Collora who happens to be a big name in the toy industry...). Mr. Collora is apparently planning on showing his film at the San Diego ComicCon in the hopes of demonstrating to Warner Bros how easy and effective it actually SHOULD be to get a Batman film made in a much more faithful fashion than they keep attempting. I am under the impression that he actually intends to present it to WB execs at some point as well; though I have yet to be able to confirm.

JON9000
04-19-2003, 10:51 PM
Holy Smokes, I must have crossed some threshold. I'm a Jedi Ambassador!

RooJay
04-19-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by JON9000
I never saw Daredevil. I wouldn't put Blade on the level of Superman, Spiderman, or X-Men, although I would say it was pretty good. The difference for me with Blade is I never even heard of the character (I'll relinquish my cool card) before the movie, so it was no loss. I think the real trick, particularly with Superman and Spiderman, is that the actors were able to pull off the Superhero bit AND the alterego. Reeve was not only perfect for the role of Superman, but he also played the bumbling Clark Kent to perfection. Dean Kane simply couldn't pull it off.

Since Blade actually wasn't cool before the movie, feel free to have your cool card back!;)

James Boba Fettfield
04-19-2003, 10:57 PM
Ha ha ha ha. You guys and your hate for Blade's comic appearances. I'll agree with it, though.

But Jon, I find your lack of Dolph Lundgren disturbing.

JON9000
04-21-2003, 04:30 PM
OMG! Those awful low budget Marvel movies of the late 80's and early 90's. Almost as bad as their 70's counterparts! Captain America running around in a Motorcycle helmet with the A on it. AAAaaaaHHHhhh!

RooJay
06-23-2003, 06:58 PM
This just in:

FROM THE NEWS ARCHIVES OF CINEMA CONFIDENTIAL

Ashton Kutcher for "Batman"?
POSTED ON 06/20/03 AT 1:30 P.M.
BY THOMAS CHAU

E! Online (http://www.eonline.com) is reporting that after "That 70's Star" Ashton Kutcher tested for the "Superman" role and turned it down, Warner Bros. is looking to get him into another superhero film: The next Batman.

Meanwhile, Dark Horizons (http://www.darkhorizons.com) reports, however, that director Chris Nolan wants to reteam with his "Memento" star Guy Pearce for the Batman role. However, since the studio wants to work with Kutcher, a source to the site claims that the Kutcher/Batman deal is almost certain.

I suggest some type of Fight Club style corporate terrorism/sabotage against Warner Bros.
I believe that under NO circumstances should Ashton Kutcher and Batman EVER be mentioned in the same sentence.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-23-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by RooJay
I believe that under NO circumstances should Ashton Kutcher and Batman EVER be mentioned in the same sentence.

What about...

Batman ran over Ashton Kutcher with the Batmobile.

That's a pretty satisfying sentence if you ask me. :D

El Chuxter
06-23-2003, 07:09 PM
My God. The very premise of Ashton Kutcher as Batman. I think I am going to vomit until I throw up (to quote the immortal words of Jonna).

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-23-2003, 07:34 PM
I really don't think that'll happen. Do you really think any of the fans wanna see this match up? Considering how much bad press "Batman & Robin" got and how it failed miserably, i can only assume that this would get MORE bad press from the fans and thus, fail miserably. Just my thoughts. :D

Hellboy
06-23-2003, 07:53 PM
Wow thats the worst casting rumor since it was announced Brendan Frasier was being considered for the Superman role.
:confused:

Kidhuman
06-23-2003, 08:12 PM
That would be the most horrible thing I have seen since I walked in on my parents. Good God, they can do better than Ashton Kutcher. Bring Back Keaton already.

RooJay
06-23-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
I really don't think that'll happen. Do you really think any of the fans wanna see this match up? Considering how much bad press "Batman & Robin" got and how it failed miserably, i can only assume that this would get MORE bad press from the fans and thus, fail miserably. Just my thoughts. :D

On the contrary, I know NONE of the fans wanna see this. Unfortunately, Warner Brothers seems bound and determined to screw this up royally somehow or another. Maybe they'll do it with Ashton, maybe not, but they will find a way to blow it big time with this project.

LTBasker
06-24-2003, 12:43 PM
I say they just cast Kevin Conroy:

http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/kevinconroy/pictures/misc/kevin1.jpg

He's already the best Batman/Bruce voice actor ever, he'd be great as a live action Batman as well and he's even got a good Bruce look.

El Chuxter
06-24-2003, 01:15 PM
I'd never seen Conroy, but he could pull it off.

As far as Warner wanting to do a good comic movie, keep in mind the only DC-related film likely to see the light of day anytime soon is the freakin' Wonder Twins. :eek:

Now done as a comedy parodying superhero flicks, with maybe Will Ferrell or Chris Kattan or even Ben Stiller in the lead role, it could possibly be funny. But I doubt that will happen.

JediTricks
06-24-2003, 09:40 PM
What about: "The United States' supreme court ruled today that actor Ashton Kutcher is barred from ever portraying superhero character Batman in any venue, including as a Halloween costume."

QLD
06-24-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
What about: "The United States' supreme court ruled today that actor Ashton Kutcher is barred from ever portraying superhero character Batman in any venue, including as a Halloween costume."

HEAR! HEAR!!!

El Chuxter
06-25-2003, 01:18 PM
Or "Ashton Kutcher was funny as Michael Kelso in the episode of That Seventies Show where Fez dressed up as Batman"?

RooJay
06-26-2003, 12:26 AM
How about quite simply, "The rumors of Ashton Kutcher being considered for the role of Batman are completely false, utterly ridiculous, and probably started by some internet fan as a practical joke. We here at Warner Brothers Studios would never, EVER even consider something so ludicrous, and would probably commit ritual suicide if such a boneheaded notion ever crossed our minds, even in idle daydreams. Furthermore, our official position on the subject is that Ashton Kutcher and Batman should never, under ANY circumstance even be mentioned in the same sentence together except when in discussing the utter ridiculousness of such a concept. To whomever it was that started this nonsense - we award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

jjreason
06-26-2003, 08:32 PM
Well written, and well received here RooJay.

If they release a Batman movie with Ashton Kutcher in the lead, I won't pay to see it at the theatre, or in rental. Period.

Lman316
06-26-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by RooJay
How about quite simply, "The rumors of Ashton Kutcher being considered for the role of Batman are completely false, utterly ridiculous, and probably started by some internet fan as a practical joke. We here at Warner Brothers Studios would never, EVER even consider something so ludicrous, and would probably commit ritual suicide if such a boneheaded notion ever crossed our minds, even in idle daydreams. Furthermore, our official position on the subject is that Ashton Kutcher and Batman should never, under ANY circumstance even be mentioned in the same sentence together except when in discussing the utter ridiculousness of such a concept. To whomever it was that started this nonsense - we award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Do I detect a hint of Billy Madison? :D

End...

Bobajames
06-27-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by JON9000
Reeve was not only perfect for the role of Superman, but he also played the bumbling Clark Kent to perfection. Dean Kane simply couldn't pull it off.

Guess who could pull off the part of a BUMBLING Clark Kent!! PUDDIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: ok that's quite enough

RooJay
06-27-2003, 02:13 AM
Scarier still, I'd heard rumor earlier this week that Sarah Michelle Gellar was the top contender for the role of Wonder Woman. Now, I will admit straight out that I am not really fan of the boney lil' ratface anyway (although I'm sure she's a very nice person), and I understand that there are a lot of my fellow genre fans are, but even they have got to admit that she's not even remotely right for the part.

Hellboy
07-03-2003, 12:23 PM
Well I just heard today that the whole Ashton Kutcher thing was just a rumor and that Guy Pierce the star of L.A. Confidential and The Time Machine is now the frontrunner for the part of Batman. In the same report I heard David S. Goyer (Blade/Blade 2) will be writing the screenplay. This seems to make a bit more sense and would be a move in the right direction IMO. :)

RooJay
07-03-2003, 03:30 PM
What's your source? I'm hoping yours is true, but I just got this from Cinema Confidential:

FROM THE NEWS ARCHIVES OF CINEMA CONFIDENTIAL

More "Batman 5" rumblings...
POSTED ON 07/02/03 AT 12:30 P.M.
BY THOMAS CHAU

More "Batman 5" rumblings are hitting the Internet gossip pages...

First up, the Batman on Film website (http://www.batman-on-film.com) is reporting a rumor that Christopher Lloyd will be playing the role of the Scarecrow in the movie, which is supposedly the main villain in the next Batman film, to be directed by Christopher Nolan ("Memento").

Dark Horizons (http://www.darkhorizons.com) is also reporting that Warner Bros. is set on getting Ashton Kutcher for the Bat role, but Chris Nolan is aiming for a guy more like Guy Pearce (who we worked with on "Memento").

icatch9
07-03-2003, 03:49 PM
I still don't buy Ashton Kutcher as Batman. Even if it's a Batman Year One story. He's a professional goofball and these rumors are just to get us all rilied up.

As for Sarah Michell Gellar, I don't know. Isn't Wonder Woman an Amazon? It's SMG realy short? The only known actress to play WounderWoman is Lucy Lawless, and I think it's a perfect fit. Why wouldn't she do it? She's beautiful, tall, athletic, and not a bad actress.

RooJay
07-05-2003, 02:09 AM
I still don't buy Ashton Kutcher as Batman. Even if it's a Batman Year One story. He's a professional goofball and these rumors are just to get us all rilied up.

None of us "buys" him as Batman, that's what's so wrong about it.

As for Sarah Michell Gellar, I don't know. Isn't Wonder Woman an Amazon? It's SMG realy short? The only known actress [capable of] play[ing] [Wonder] Woman is Lucy Lawless, and I think it's a perfect fit. Why wouldn't she do it? She's beautiful, tall, athletic, and not a bad actress.

There are even some people who would disaprove of Lucy Lawless as Wonder Woman (like myself) for the exact opposite of some of the reasons you state (I find her to be neither beautiful nor a good actress ;) ), but she is still a much better choice than Sarah Michelle Ratface could ever hope to be.

Hellboy
07-05-2003, 04:37 AM
What's your source? I'm hoping yours is true

I heard it on The Howard Stern Radio Show and I missed the first part of the report so I didn't hear where they got their info. from. I'm sure just like everything else it's just one of the many ideas floating around out there. It would be nice if it were true but I'd be surprised if Guy Pierce got the role just because I think they're looking for someone younger to jumpstart the franchise.

DarthBrandon
07-05-2003, 06:39 AM
None of us "buys" him as Batman, that's what's so wrong about it.

There are even some people who would disaprove of Lucy Lawless as Wonder Woman (like myself) for the exact opposite of some of the reasons you state (I find her to be neither beautiful nor a good actress ;) ), but she is still a much better choice than Sarah Michelle Ratface could ever hope to be.

What about Angelina Jolie, she's beautiful, not that bad an actress and built for the part. Much more star power IMO, nothing against Lawless, but big nose SMG just doesn't cut the mustard IMO.

LTBasker
07-05-2003, 01:34 PM
Pleeease no, parts like that need actors who are known to be able to handle the part (Michael Keaton as Batman) or quieter stars (Tobey Maguire for Spider-Man) that aren't in the limelight yet. Look at what happened when you tossed around large star names for the last Bat flicks, that majorly didn't work out. Angelina Jolie would turn Wonder Woman into more of a sex romp probably such as Halle Berry will probably do for Catwoman, that's nothing spectacular, if you want that then just watch one of their nude flicks.

Lucy Lawless definitely couldn't do a Wonder Woman movie since they'd likely have her origin in there and Lucy's much too old for that sort of thing. She could probably play her mother though, that'd be a good role for her.

RooJay
07-07-2003, 01:41 PM
In my mind NO one, and I mean NO ONE (as opposed to "noone"; which, like prolly, is also not a word), could ever pull off Wonder Woman as well as the lovely miss Monica Bellucci! Grrrrowlllll! Don't bother suggest anyone else in my presence; I've already made up my mind. ;) :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-22-2003, 01:22 AM
Batman: Dead End FINALLY up online!!

Greetings, i know some folks visit www.superherohype.com and i'm too lazy to preview the last 7 pages, but i know many of you know about the short film, Batman: Dead End. A small film made that is very much true to some of the old comic book series Batman has had (think Alex Ross' work). Theforce.net has been nice enough to host it.

I have yet to watch it (i'm saving it to my pc, like 10% is done) so, i don't know any spoilers nor if there is any objective material, but i can't imagine it being too bad or anything. Joker looks cracked out though, so be warned. Enjoy! :D

Edit: I removed the link until i watch it myself.

Edit #2-

Alright, i just watched it and it's really not for young eyes. I trust those of us who are old enough will know how to play it.

SPOILERS BELOW
The Joker is only in it for a few minutes. The rest is Batman taking on an Alien and then Predator. I rather enjoyed it. It was very atmospheric and whatnot. I just wanted more of the Joker, but hey, beggars can't be choosers.

Beast
09-11-2003, 03:25 PM
He was the fan favorite for the role, and Warner Brothers seems to have agreed. The film will follow the early career of 'The Dark Knight', rumored villans include Ra's Al-Ghul and/or Scarecrow. If nothing happens to derail the movie, this will definatly open the way for WB to release the SE's of the first four Batman Movies on DVD. Or atleast Batman and Batman Returns. :)

From ComingSoon.Net:

Christian Bale is the New Batman!
Source: Warner Bros. Pictures Thursday, September 11, 2003

Christian Bale has been cast in the starring role of Bruce Wayne in Warner Bros. Pictures' upcoming Batman movie, to be directed by Christopher Nolan and produced by Emma Thomas. The announcement was made today by Jeff Robinov, President of production for Warner Bros. Pictures.

Principal photography on the film is expected to begin in early 2004. The movie is written by David Goyer and Nolan, and will follow the early career of The Dark Knight.

Said Nolan, "What I see in Christian is the ultimate embodiment of Bruce Wayne. He has exactly the balance of darkness and light that we were looking for."

Robinov stated, "Now that we've found the best person to play Batman, we are really looking forward to moving ahead with the rest of our casting, and are excited about the exceptional group we are assembling."

Bale, who first drew critical attention for his starring role in Empire of the Sun, has starred in such diverse motion pictures as Little Women, Portrait of a Lady, Metroland, American Psycho and Laurel Canyon.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
09-11-2003, 03:39 PM
I'm pretty ignorant of a lot of Hollywood names. Do you happen to have a pic or a link to a pic of Christian Bale?

R'as al Ghul. Man, that'd be cool. Or maybe it could start with Bruce waking up, saying, "I had the weirdest dream, Alfred. I dreamed four of my deadliest foes were reduced to bad jokes and I carried a credit card. No more meatballs before bed!" And then Bane busts in the window and whomps on him.

DarthBrandon
09-11-2003, 03:40 PM
Sounds good JarJarBinks, I think Bale will be a great choice for the new Batman movie, I can't wait.

Beast
09-11-2003, 03:53 PM
I'm pretty ignorant of a lot of Hollywood names. Do you happen to have a pic or a link to a pic of Christian Bale?
Here you go, some nice pictures of Mr. Bale. I don't think he has the perfect face for a younger Bruce....but then Michael Keaton suprised me as well. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-11-2003, 04:28 PM
Score!! Bale is an excellent choice. He definately has good characteristics to play a young Bruce Wayne/Batman. Hopefully, he and Nolan can revive faith in the films. :D

[DSS]Pedr0
09-11-2003, 05:04 PM
They Forgot About That Great Movie Equilibrium!!! I Loved It!!

RooJay
09-11-2003, 05:11 PM
This news has just made my day! I'm in freakin' heaven right now!

Christian Bale was absolutely born to play Batman! I have renewed faith in Warner Brothers; seems someone over there finally knows what they are doing. :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

RooJay
09-11-2003, 05:22 PM
Christian Bale, lookin' all 'Bruce Wayne' and stuff (from American Psycho):

derek
09-11-2003, 08:28 PM

go rent american psycho, as bale was excellent in this movie.

.........hey, with patrick bateman and the guy who directed memento at the helm, this is gonna be a good film. :happy:

jeddah
09-12-2003, 04:52 AM
And he is a very nice person too. I went to school and church with him. His mother is super cool :cool:

jeddah

scruffziller
09-13-2003, 12:13 PM
Cool. I don't know much about the actor, but from hearing what you guys are saying that do, I am excited about the next Batman movie!!!!!:happy:

I saw the first pic and thought ehhh.....

Then saw the next pic with him in charachter action and WHOAH!!!:eek:
What a transformation!!!! He kinda looks like Kilmer in that second pic.

RooJay
09-15-2003, 01:32 PM
.........hey, with patrick bateman and the guy who directed memento at the helm, this is gonna be a good film. :happy:

That's what I was thinkin' too, but then I realized that this is Warner Brothers we're talking about here - they'll no doubt find some way to screw this up! It's just too good to be true.
By the way, anyone else out there realize how astronomical the odds are of Warners getting even this much right? Surely one has better odds of being bitten by a great white shark in the middle of the Mojave desert!

aceguide
09-17-2003, 09:38 AM
Looks the part. Should act the part. Just have to get American Psycho out of my head before I see the movie - not very Batmanesque behavior...

RooJay
09-18-2003, 12:10 PM
Looks the part. Should act the part. Just have to get American Psycho out of my head before I see the movie - not very Batmanesque behavior...

But why? Batman's an american, and he's quite a psycho too! ;) Just try to push all that killin' and stuff outta yer mind...

RooJay
09-19-2003, 12:41 AM
Not that I can find it now, but yesterday I was reading somewhere online that Dennis Quaid is rumored to be close to signing on as Commisioner Gordon. In my opinion there is no other actor in Hollywood better for the role at that age (please note that either Tom Skerritt or Paul Newman would be the perfect choices, but at this point in Batman's career they would be about 15 and 25 years too old respectively).

I'm now nearly convinced (if this latest rumor proves true) that when this movie is released, it will have absolutely nothing to do with Batman - what are the odds that Warner Brothers has been able to get this much right on this project so far? The Warner's I have known since Batman Forever would have never gotten this far without royally screwing the project up!

mrmiller
09-29-2003, 01:33 PM
Pedr0']They Forgot About That Great Movie Equilibrium!!! I Loved It!!

I just saw Equilibrium this past weekend- and I'm convinced Bale would make a perfect Bruce Wayne.

For those who haven't seen Equilibrium- its a pretty cool sci-fi flick. It takes place in the future after world war 3. All emotion has been outlawed, and all items that may cause emotion (music, art, etc...) has been considered contraband and is to be destroyed. The human race was about wiped out during the war, and it was decided that if they removed anger from them human persona, they could do away with war. So they did away with all emotion, and everyone takes their daily dose of emotion inhibiting drugs to stay Vulcan-like. Of course if you have no Joy or Love, what is the point of living- you are just a machine. A few people who have ditched their drugs are starting a resistance, or renaissance. There are specific emotionless enforcers, called Clerics, who are there to keep the order and eliminate those with emotions and their contraband. One of the top clerics (Bale) misses a does of his meds and begins to feel. He then goes to infiltrate the resistance to either destroy them and get order back or help them to restore emotion to society (I'll let you see what happens as if you didn't already know).

I'd consider it a B+ movie wen referring to B list movies as low budget straight to video movies compared to A list blockbusters. But it was very cool and dark sci-fi, with some great action sequences and special effects. You should check it out if you haven't seen it, as it is very Matrix-like in scope and production.

=MATT=

scruffziller
10-16-2003, 12:26 PM
More info and some you know.

Director Christopher Nolan has taken over the series and has cast Christian Bale as the Caped Crusader. Nolan and David S. Goyer will co-write the fifth installment, which is said to be based on the script Batman: The Frightening, featuring The Scarecrow as the lead baddie. The movie initially was to be based on Frank Miller's graphic novel Batman: YO, a film-noir-infused, four-issue story written in 1987 and published by DC Comics that detailed Bruce Wayne's first year as Batman, including the self-doubts and blunders he had to overcome in order to emerge as a full-blown crime fighter. Releasing July 1, 2005
Starring Christian Bale, Michelle Pfeiffer (rumored), Kurt Russell (rumored), John Malkovich (rumored), Dennis Quaid (rumored)

Dennis Quaid will likely end up playing Commissioner Gordon, and John Malkovich may play a bad guy, either Scarecrow or Ra's Al Ghul. (Film Force)

Imperial_Outpost
10-16-2003, 01:07 PM
Christopher Lloyd would make a fantastic Scarecrow. I'm a big Batman fan, but I try hard to like the movies, but everything since Keaton has been bantha fertilizer. If they could just get the 60's show out of their heads when they write the new one it would be a start.

RooJay
10-16-2003, 08:05 PM
More info and some you know.

Director Christopher Nolan has taken over the series and has cast Christian Bale as the Caped Crusader. Nolan and David S. Goyer will co-write the fifth installment, which is said to be based on the script Batman: The Frightening, featuring The Scarecrow as the lead baddie. The movie initially was to be based on Frank Miller's graphic novel Batman: YO, a film-noir-infused, four-issue story written in 1987 and published by DC Comics that detailed Bruce Wayne's first year as Batman, including the self-doubts and blunders he had to overcome in order to emerge as a full-blown crime fighter. Releasing July 1, 2005
Starring Christian Bale, Michelle Pfeiffer (rumored), Kurt Russell (rumored), John Malkovich (rumored), Dennis Quaid (rumored)

Dennis Quaid will likely end up playing Commissioner Gordon, and John Malkovich may play a bad guy, either Scarecrow or Ra's Al Ghul. (Film Force)

That news is actually a bit outdated. It has since been revealed that the supposed script for "The Frightening" had long been abandoned, and that Goyer's script actually goes under the working title of Batman: Intimidation Game. The villain in this script is said to actually be the immortal Ra's Al Ghul (rather than Scarecrow) with Malkovich in that role - which I actually believe was more or less confirmed just recently. Likewise with Quaid as Commisioner Gordon. Michelle Pfeiffer and Kurt Russell have long since been confirmed as not being involved.

darthzirock
11-07-2003, 03:53 PM
That news is actually a bit outdated. It has since been revealed that the supposed script for "The Frightening" had long been abandoned, and that Goyer's script actually goes under the working title of Batman: Intimidation Game. The villain in this script is said to actually be the immortal Ra's Al Ghul (rather than Scarecrow) with Malkovich in that role - which I actually believe was more or less confirmed just recently. Likewise with Quaid as Commisioner Gordon. Michelle Pfeiffer and Kurt Russell have long since been confirmed as not being involved.

Well, this has already been confirmed by several sources.

Release Date Note: (10/3/03) There have been conflicting reports (at least one of them originating from within Warner Bros. itself) that this film is aiming for either July 1st, 2005 (a Friday) or July 4th, 2005 (a Monday). The 1st seems more likely, but there have been rare cases in the past when movies were released on the 4th even though it fell on an unusual movie release day (DIE HARD 2: DIE HARDER was the most-profile one; it was released on a Tuesday). BATMAN: INTIMIDATION is also aiming for that weekend, and it is equally unclear as to whether WB intends to release it on Friday the 1st or Monday the 4th. My hunch is that it is the 1st in both cases; but my more relevant hunch is that ultimately, one of these movies will flinch. I think it's unlikely both movies would open against each other. Who will make the first move now that the game is on?

(10/31/03) According to a rumor sent to AICN, Morgan Freeman may be in talks to play a doctor or scientist (The Scarecrow?), and Anthony Hopkins may be in talks to be the new Alfred.

I guess Christopher Lloyd is out as Dr. Jonathan Crane/The Scarecrow, but Malkovitch still seems to be the front-runner for Ra's al-Ghul. Also, it appears that Kurt Russell is now being looked at for Jim Gordon, as it seems Dennis Quaid has bowed off the project.

scruffziller
11-08-2003, 01:49 PM
Yea Christopher Lloyd would make an excellent Scarecrow.

TheDarthVader
11-09-2003, 12:57 PM
I agree. Christopher Lloyd would do well as scarecrow.

Beast
11-19-2003, 10:42 AM
New info on Batman: Intimidation Game. Sounds like it could be both Scarecrow and Ra's Al Ghul. Though Scarecrow would only be a cameo villian. The following news is from Cinemascape, which is pretty good with accurate information. :)

As development continues on the fifth BATMAN movie, one of our friends from across the Atlantic Ocean wrote in to tell us of a juicy casting rumor making the rounds over in England. According to our informant, there's talk that BATMAN director Christopher Nolan is seeking to cast an actor for a villain role at the beginning of the film. This character is known to fans of Batman lore, and at one time was rumored to be the main villain in a fan script known as THE FRIGHTENING: none other than The Scarecrow.

According to our source, the film's primary bad guy will remain R'as al Ghul, the immortal whose vision of a world without chaos reaches through centuries of time. But the idea is to introduce the Scarecrow early in the film to show audiences that this BATMAN movie is different than its predecessors; namely, that it's darker and scarier, and that the rogues that Batman face in Nolan's vision of Gotham City are far more dangerous than the ones seen in Joel Schumacher's BATMAN movies.

Our agent tells us that the idea is to show the Scarecrow terrorizing Gotham so Nolan's version of Batman (played by Christopher Bale) can be introduced. After bringing down Scarecrow the plot would then move on to Batman having to leave Gotham City, possibly as a result of the actions of this opening segment, and travelling to London where al Ghul is located. There the majority of the film's story takes place.

The part is small and isn't like the previous three BATMAN films which have seen the Dark Knight face two villains throughout the picture. There may be a possibility that Scarecrow could return in a future BATMAN movie but for now it's meant to be a one-time appearance and that's all.

"The person in mind to play [Scarecrow] is Christopher Eccleston," writes "Lucky Ace", our scooper. Eccleston is British and was most recently seen in Danny Boyle's post-apocalytic zombie movie 28 DAYS LATER as Major West. Curiously, one of Eccleston's co-stars in 28 DAYS LATER was also rumored to be under consideration to play the new Batman before Bale was announced in the role, Cillian Murphy.

The production is also looking to cast the role of R'as al Ghul sooner rather than later and have been considering actors from around the world. Unlike the Scarecrow gossip, our Ace in the hole didn't have any names to report at the present time but they did mention the talk is "of people like a younger Anthony Hopkins-type".
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
11-20-2003, 08:41 PM
Sounds pretty sweet if you ask me.

Strange that most of the movie might not take place in Gotham City but if Ra's Al Ghul is the primary bad guy it would make sense for Batman to go international since thats usually what happens in the comics when dealing with Ra's. I think this film would benefit from casting some lesser known actors like the choice of Christopher Eccleston for the role of the Scarecrow. IMO one of the reasons the other films failed to capture the true essence of Batman is because it just became a showcase for A-list actors who wanted to potray a classic comic book villain. Hopefully this film will concentrate more on Batman's strength as a detective rather than the flashy over the top nonsense of it's predecessors. I'm also hoping that Talia (Ra's daughter) appears in the film because it wouldn't be complete without her as far as I'm concerned.

Beast
11-25-2003, 02:11 AM
Some new info:

Batman: Intimidation Game is heating up, and with filming set for some time early next year, the cast is finally getting pulled together.

The second cast member has signed on now. Joining Christian Bale as Batman comes the inimitable Michael Caine as Aflred Pennyworth, faithful butler.

A release is expected in 2005.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
11-25-2003, 08:42 PM
Michael Caine as Alfred Pennyworth :confused:

I'm not to sure if I like that choice but he'll probably turn out fine.

JediTricks
11-26-2003, 12:56 AM
Wrong, bad, incorrect, inept! Caine is a fine actor but IMO totally the wrong kind of guy for the part.

BlahBlahBlah
11-26-2003, 10:36 AM
Okay, I'm not big on the Batman universe-- all I know I learned from various cartoons and Frank Miller's "Year One" and "The Dark Knight Returns"-- so can anyone give me some background on Ra's al Ghul? I've heard the name before, but don't know anything about the character.

Beast
11-26-2003, 12:04 PM
Here's a couple links:

http://www.unstable.com/whoswho/rasalghu.htm
http://www.batmantas.com/cmp/ras.htm
http://thebatman.bravepages.com/comics/villains/rasalghul.htm

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
11-30-2003, 06:59 PM
In my opinion, one could not find a better actor for the part of the Scarecrow than Christopher Eccleston! This movie just sounds better and better! :D

I must insist that, if Mister Eccleston does play the part of the Scarecrow, that he then make a return appearance in the role (expanded, of course) in the sequel! ;)

Beast
12-11-2003, 12:17 PM
Here's the latest news from the Batman Universe, from Superhero Hype:

Katie Holmes Frontrunner for Batman!
Source: Variety Wednesday, December 10, 2003

Variety reports that Warner Bros. is zeroing in on Katie Holmes for the female lead of its next Batman film.

Holmes has been offered the role, subject to a screen test with Christian Bale that will be conducted by director Christopher Nolan. While Nolan considered many young actresses to play Batman's love interest Rachel, Holmes is the only actress who will do a screen test. It is considered likely that a deal will follow shortly after.

Holmes would be the third cast. Nolan, who came aboard the film with his producing partner Emma Thomas, first set Christian Bale as the Caped Crusader, and recently began negotiating with Michael Caine to play his butler, Alfred.

The film, scripted by David Goyer, is gearing up for a 2004 start date and 2005 release.

Michael Caine Talks Batman!
Source: CHUD Wednesday, December 10, 2003

It's a great news day for Batman fans, as Michael Caine also talked about the Christopher Nolan project to CHUD. Here's what he said about the film in which he will star with Christian Bale and Katie Holmes.

Naturally, the question came up about him taking on Batman next (which Caine quoted as the budget at being "$135 million. It's so nice to be in something like that. I'm usually going around with the guys who say, 'Can you share a car?') and what the appeal was for Caine to step into Michael Gough's shoes as Bruce Wayne's butler. "Batman is being made in England, but it's also being made quite differently," Caine reported. "I had a long conversation with Christopher Nolan before I accepted the part. I only knew him from Memento and I didn't know him personally. Funny enough, he lived near me, so he came around to the house and we had lunch, cups of tea and stuff and he explained to me what he was going to do and what his outlook on Batman was and why he wanted me in it. The short answer was, he wants it to be more natural. He regards - as I did anyway quite coincidentally - I find a lot of these comic book heroes boring because they are invincible. If you're bulletproof, where's the jeopardy for the hero? You can't gas him, you can't kill him, what's the point? And he is making a very, very natural Batman. I remember one phrase he said to me, I said, 'Well, he's very powerful and strong.' And he said, 'Yes, he is Michael, but not because of Kryptonite, it's because he does push-up's." As for whether Caine had known Bale before, Caine replied, "No, I've never met Christian Bale!"

Viggo Mortensen Up for Batman Villain?
Source: Sci Fi Wire Wednesday, December 10, 2003

And the Batman news continues today with word from Sci Fi Wire (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2003-12/10/13.00.film), who also spoke to Michael Caine, that Viggo Mortensen may play the villain...

Michael Caine, who will play Alfred the butler in the upcoming new Batman film, told SCI FI Wire that director Christopher Nolan is eyeing Lord of the Rings star Viggo Mortensen to play the villain in the film, which is slated to begin production in April 2004. In an interview, Caine wouldn't specify which villain role Mortensen (Rings' Aragorn) is up for.

Caine said Nolan's Batman script creates a deeper role for Alfred than previous films. "We start when Batman is a baby, so I'm more like a father," Caine said in an interview. "I'm a father who knows how to lay a table with the knives and forks in the right places."

Hit the link above for more of the interview!

Caine to Shoot Eight Weeks for Batman
Source: Variety Wednesday, December 10, 2003

Earlier today it was revealed that Michael Caine would start filming Christopher Nolan's Batman in April, now he's also told Variety for how long he'll be shooting the role of Alfred.

He then has an eight-week stint as Batman's (Christian Bale's) guardian and butler -- starting with Batman as a baby. "I get to age backwards in that one," he laughs.

Cillian Murphy is a Villain in Batman!
Source: Variety Thursday, December 11, 2003

Cillian Murphy ("28 Days Later," "Girl with a Pearl Earring") has landed the role of one of the Caped Crusader's villains in Warner Bros.' new Batman film! Which villain he would play was not yet announced. The young Irish actor would become the fourth to be cast in the Christopher Nolan-helmed project that stars Christian Bale. He first came to the attention of Nolan after he tested for the role of Batman.

Michael Caine has also joined the cast to play Alfred and the producers are now zeroing in on Katie Holmes to play the female lead subject to a screen test with Nolan.

The film's plot, scripted by David Goyer, is being kept tightly under wraps, but the studio and Nolan are gearing up for a 2004 start date and 2005 release.

Michael Caine Has a 3-Picture Batman Deal!
Source: About.com Thursday, December 11, 2003

About.com (http://actionadventure.about.com/cs/weeklystories/a/aa121003.htm) interviewed Michael Caine about the Batman movie and he mentioned how he's preparing for the role of Alfred, what he and director Chris Nolan talked about, and that he has a three-picture deal. Here's a few clips...

How are you preparing for Batman? Well, I've had butlers for 30 years. He's going to be based on my butlers. Butlers always feel superior to you, the employer. They look down on you because they know more about everything than you do. They're older than you, and in my case, I'm Batman's guardian and I actually am with him.

What talks have you had with Christopher Nolan? I had a three hour talk at my house, that's all. It was to talk to me about being in the movie. He wrote the script, which is great. And he's a lovely man, Christopher Nolan. I really thought he was very, very nice and I'm hard to fool. Instead of just repeating the franchise, they're trying to make something of it. What they're doing with Batman is making it as though it's never been made before. That's how it is and it's different. He gave me the script for two hours to read and sent the chauffeur to take it back again. It's like getting screeners from the Academy, they're frightened everyone's going to see it. It's a change from this movie. We have $135 million to make the movie so I don't have to share a car or anything.

Hit the link above for more of the interview!
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
12-12-2003, 11:41 AM
Great news other than the fact they feel the need to have a love interest in the film other than Ra's daughter Talia. Bruce rarely had time for personal relationships in the comics because of his dedication to crime fighting and other than the occasional date to maintain his image he didn't get involved with women. Bad move IMO.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-13-2003, 08:08 PM
Yeah, go Cillian gettin' a villianous role!! He was downright amazing in "28 days later", so i'm very anxious to see what villian he plays in the new Batman film. Tell ya what though, this new Batman flick is lookin' like it's going to be hella awesome. Might just revive my faith in the franchise! cheers!! :D

Beast
01-06-2004, 03:35 PM
News from Superhero Hype:

Batman Filming Planned in Iceland?
Source: Batman_on_mondays Monday, January 5, 2004

'Batman_on_mondays' tells us that, according to Horn.is (http://www.horn.is/n_nanar.php?ID=1521), there might be some Batman filming in Iceland...

Thought you'd like to know that some filming for Batman 5 is scheduled in Iceland sometime in the near future. An Icelandic production company "Saga Film" is already making preparations so it can't be long until the whole crew get here, they'll be shooting for two weeks.

The full story, in Icelandic, is available at the link above.

Exclusive Batman: Intimidation Scoop!!
Source: Enigma Tuesday, January 6, 2004

Batman fans, are you ready? We hope you are, because Christopher Nolan's new Batman film is sounding better and better every day.

A Superhero Hype! source - who shall be called 'Enigma' - has confirmed that filming will indeed take place in Iceland. As you may have read here, the Warner Bros. production will shoot there for two weeks. What was not revealed was what will be filmed. We've got the exclusive scoop for you, but it's definitely spoiler material, so cover your eyes now if you'd rather not know...

Still here? Of course you are. In the scene, Batman, played by Christian Bale, will be fighting on ice with Ra's Al Ghul's #1 pupil (who that is, you'll have to figure out). They won't be fighting for real, however, as it is more of a training exercise.

We're also told by our source that Batman: Intimidation is a cross between Year One and Year Two and that it's interwoven very creatively. So start thinking about which characters appeared in each and you might get an idea. The film is also said to be very story-driven.

Of course you want to hear about the costume. Let's just say that the costume concept the production is using is awesome! Just wait and see...
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

arctangent
01-07-2004, 06:17 AM
there is a casting agency where i work and they had a casting in for intimidation game - batman in yesterday. it states that location shooting will be for one week at the end of february and principal filming will start in the uk in mid march for 20 weeks.

Beast
01-08-2004, 04:49 PM
More news on the film, from Dark Horizon's. Getting to sound really good. And I hope that things go as planned. I don't think DC can handle another crappy screwball movie like Batman & Robin. Not with Marvel constantly cranking out the A-List great pictures. :)

Having just read a full and in-depth synopsis of the shooting script of the upcoming "Batman" from yesterday's source, its time to share some small light on the spoiler details which will hopefully quell all the rampant speculation that will no doubt continue unless something like this is done. First off to those wondering I don't have the script or any pages from it - even if I did there's not a cat's chance in hell of me doing anything other than glancing over it and then locking it away in a drawer. I almost never read scripts because I don't like to be spoiled, and they are the studio's copyright so those who post scripts online whether it be a single page or the full baby, you are breaking all sorts of laws.

Reviews of scripts are fine, but again like most I don't want to be spoiled too much, thus what follows is tailored to that taste - there is some spoiler stuff here, almost all of it from the opening third or so, but what I've included doesn't have any real real bearing on the plot, is stuff you're already familiar with and/or you'll find revealed in the film's trailers or official notes in any case. There's a few clever twists and jibes in the script, none of which I want to ruin for anyone

I was sent a multi-page breakdown/major spoiler review by this source and have since independently confirmed its genuine. The breakdown fits in with and spells out clearer the rumours heard so far, adds some whole new angles and is understandably critical about a number of points. In Nolan's hands it should be VERY different from what we come to expect from a "Batman" film (it took me a while to get used to it but I quite liked it).

After penning this item I have since deleted that breakdown as well so please don't ask me for or about it as I no longer have it. Like Warners, I don't want to see this spoiled but I will clear up some of the talk and lingering questions. This is a one-off as well, there won't be follow-up pieces or any more new details revealed although I will be able to shoot down inaccurate speculation as it comes up:

- All the characters mentioned so far are in it - Bruce Wayne/Batman, Alfred, Jim Gordon, DA asst. prosecutor Rachel, Jonathan Crane, and Ra's Al Ghul.

- Other characters include Ra's protege Ducard, Wayne Enterprise's Applied Sciene Dept. head Lucius Fox, mob boss Falcone, acting Wayne Enterprise head Earle, and various crims & law officials and a bunch of ninjas.

- There's no link or mention of the previous film's events, this not only ignores them completely but restarts the franchise as its essentially an 'origin' movie which changes elements such as the 'parents being shot' and 'how Bruce found the cave and took up the mantle' subplots.

- Despite the filming in London, almost all of the film is set around Gotham City (there's no mention of London) though there's numerous flashbacks to the past and early on the footage is set around a mountain monastery in China.

- A good first portion of the film swaps between flashbacks and the present. In the past we see stuff we're all familiar with from the comics and earlier movies - Bruce as a child with his father Thomas Wayne, the famous alley shooting of his parents, being cared for by a younger Alfred, meeting regular beat cop Jim Gordon, etc. In the present its Wayne mano-a-mano fighting with Ducard whose 'training/testing' him as such for his master Ra's Al-Ghul whose watching from the shadows. This is no doubt the sequence being filmed in Iceland at the start of production

- With Ra's Al-Ghul he does have insidious plans but there seems to be no mention of immortality, the Lazarus Pit, or Talia. His sub-ordinate Ducard is an interesting character with a clever connection to his master.

- One supblot has Wayne Enterprise head Earle trying to take over the company and using influence on public officials. Its revealed Gordon in the present is a Sargeant. There's also a small storyline about a mob boss whom Bruce has a personal score to settle with.

- One element I like is the discovery of the cave and its various entrances and the clever finding of the Batsuit described as "prototype spandex body armour". The Batman in full costume however doesn't appear for a while on screen (once he's there, he's there in force) which is a clever move and keeps one in anticipation.

- The Scarecrow is referred to only as Jonathan Crane who is the head of medicine at Arkham Asylum. There's a clever origin story to the fear toxin, and at certain points he covers his head in a sack/mask for protection.

- The second half (basically once the 'origin' elements are over) are more like a Batman movie we know but some cool new stuff and shots too which I won't spoil. Suffice it to say there's an elaborate plan which will wreak chaos on downtown Gotham. Key characters get drugged, Alfred pops in at the right time and place to save his master and offer wise counsel, and so on.

- Action fans will be happy with an extensive Batmobile chase through the streets, alleys and 'other surfaces' of Gotham. A decaying monorail system built by Thomas Wayne serves as the backdrop for some story elements.

- The coda includes mention of one of the Dark Knight's most famous villains - its pretty easy to guess which one.

Opinion: In the end this is one of those stories which at first glance will shock you, but then give time to process I think you'll come to really like it - fans of the comic especially should go nuts for this. With the Batman live-action movies we've become used to formula - Bats in costume hunting down a wildly costumed baddie who gets far more character development than our hero, and a dark twisted gothic fantasy sense.

That's all out the window, in this Batman really is the focus of the movie with the villains taking a sidestep. The villains themselves aren't garishly colourful or obsessively dark pastel-clothed freaks, they actually seem to be believable nutters and their connection is a quite clever twist even if their ultimate motives still feel underdone.

The love interest isn't a screaming helpless girl and how they handle it especially towards the end is quite mature, but she's not a particularly interesting character either. Alfred is handled nicely, Gordon especially seems to get some good stuff here. Even some of the plain human side characters like Lucius, Earle, Falcone, etc. are going to be interesting to see onscreen.

The action towards the end admittedly gets overly theatrical, but otherwise its quite shocking how un-blockbusterish this is, it plays more like an old-fashioned movie which allows its story to unfold than a big action spectacle - indeed the closest film I can think of in comparison is the first "Superman" and even to some extent "Spider-Man", in other words its very much a restart right from the beginning. With Nolan in charge it'll be interesting to see how it all turns out.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

BlahBlahBlah
01-08-2004, 08:06 PM
"Action fans will be happy with an extensive Batmobile chase through the streets, alleys and 'other surfaces' of Gotham."

This part frightens me. I keep seeing the Batmobile going up the wall in Batman Forever and remember wanting to shoot Joel Schumacher.

RooJay
01-08-2004, 09:58 PM
That part aside (I keep seeing scenes in my head from Batman Forever too), I have to say that...I got chills...they're multiplyin'...I'm losin' control.
I swear...the power they're supplyin'...it's, well...it's electrifyin'! :D ;)

Sounds to me like they're also setting up a lot of stuff in this new film that's intended to play out in sequels. Can't wait!

Hellboy
01-10-2004, 03:34 AM
It all sounds very interesting but I'm not a big fan of origin stories so I hope they don't spend to much time explaining stuff most people already know about Bruce's past. I think thats one of the reasons I didn't enjoy Spider-Man as much as I'd hoped. It would also be nice if they don't feel the need to tie everything together so neatly either like Tim Burton did in his rendition by making Jack Napier (the Joker) the murderer of the Waynes. I'm still not thrilled about the whole love interest idea but if it's only a minor sub-plot it could work. So far It does sound like this film will be the most faithful to the source material of all the versions but who knows it could become something radically different too. Either way I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Beast
01-30-2004, 12:26 PM
Latino Review has a review of part of the script up. Sounds pretty dang cool so far. Head on over and check it out. :)

http://www.latinoreview.com/scriptreviews/batman/script-review.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-11-2004, 10:51 AM
http://www.superherohype.com/batman/index.php?id=826

Looks like our old pal, Liam "Qui-Gon" Neeson has joined the cast of the new Batman flick; playing a villian. I'm hoping he'll bust out the saber and he and the Dark Knight can have a saber match ala "Jay and silent bob strike back" but, i'm not holding my breath. :D

Hellboy
02-11-2004, 04:04 PM
Looks like our old pal, Liam "Qui-Gon" Neeson has joined the cast of the new Batman flick; playing a villian.

Could he be cast as Ra's Al Ghul? I think I liked the idea of Viggo Mortensen better but who knows maybe Liam will play some crime boss or something and we'll still get Viggo.

According to Wizard magazine Cillian Murphy ("28 days later") won the part of a villain (most indications point to the Scarecrow), after auditioning for the part of Batman. :cool:

There are also rumors that Oscar-winning director Clint Eastwood could make a cameo in the film as the mayor of Gotham City.

Other rumors have suggested Dennis Quaid was up for the part of Jim Gordon but the latest actor to emerge as reportedly being in the running is charater actor Chris Cooper ("Seabuiscuit").

JediTricks
02-15-2004, 02:54 PM
Ugh! Just saw this on IMDB news and I had to share, this sounds pretty lame to me....

Batman Turning British?

Batman is becoming British after director Christopher Nolan has been given the go-ahead to reinvent the American character in new movie Batman: Intimidation. The Memento film-maker wants to freshen up the superhero, who has so far featured in four modern day features, and has decided to give Batman and his American playboy alter-ego Bruce Wayne a more 'James Bond' feel. Brit Christian Bale is playing the lead role with English veteran actor Sir Michael Caine and Irishman Cillian Murphy are also signed up, and now Nolan has added Bond veterans, costume designer Lindy Hemming and special- effects guru Chris Corbould to the crew. Warner Bros's production head Jeff Robinov says, "Chris is reintroducing Batman and it feels smart cool and fresh. That's no disrespect to the other movies, but it's really Chris' vision of Batman and that's what we're supporting."

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-15-2004, 03:15 PM
JT- dude, it doesn't say that Batman himself is going to be using a british accent, just alfred, who was already British i believe and the Scarecrow is a character not on the screen before, so we're not really changing anything about him. I think it just means that he's going to look more like a rich man than he did in the other films. Hopefully he won't be using it through, as it'll just be silly. :D

JediTricks
02-15-2004, 05:04 PM
That's not the way the first sentence reads. And it's certainly not like other Batman movies haven't tried to be 007-esque. I am hoping you're right though.

RooJay
02-19-2004, 10:43 PM
Reading that quote, I don't seeing anything indicating other than Nolan giving Bruce Wayne a more Bond-ish vibe. I see no indication in that at all that the new movie will feature a british Batman. It all sounds pretty cool to me.

darthvyn
02-21-2004, 11:57 AM
the best EVER depiction of bruce wayne was the first burton batman movie - the way he's always distracted, detatched... like he doesn't feel comfortable as bruce, only batman. THE best version. not even the cartoon got bruce wayne that well... they got batman down-pat, but not wayne.

Beast
02-23-2004, 12:49 PM
The bat suit for the new movie sounds pretty good. According to this report from Dark Horizon. Can't wait to see this movie. And hopefully it will live up to all the hype that is surrounding it. Atleast it's finally being made. Since I thought no decent DC based movies were ever going to get off the ground. :)

The Bat news just keeps on coming it seems from avenues all over with several new revelations over the weekend.

The most notables came from Batman on Film who indicate that Oscar nominee and "Last Samurai" actor Ken Watanabe has won the role of lead villain Ra's Al-Ghul in the Chris Nolan film. An announcement about his casting is expected to hit the trades shortly. The site also indicates that the role of Harvey Dent does appear in the script and will be played by an actor whose previously worked with Nolan before - both Guy Pearce and Al Pacino have previously been rumoured for the part.

There's also a pretty cool description of the Batsuit: "It is made of silicone and a material similar to the "Spider-Man" costume. It has a armored look to it around the chest area. There is no yellow oval--the Bat symbol is like it is in the current comics. It may be part of the chest armor. The suit is dark, but not totally black. From the description that I got, it's dark gray. The cape, cowl, boots, and gloves are black. I've heard two descriptions for the ears. One report said that they are shorter than they were in the previous films. Someone else told me that they are "Kane-style;" based on the orginal look of Batman back from 1939. I've also heard two reports on the eyes. I've heard it had lenses, and I've heard it didn't. I'm sure that costuming experienced with both. The utility belt will have pockets, but with a sleek look to it (nothing like what Adam West wore)".

The title is also tipped to be announced this week with "Batman Begins" looking certain to be the new title.

Finally its been confirmed that whilst shooting will take place at Shepparton Studios, the nearby giant Cardington Hangar facility once used for the construction of airships, is also being used. They're currently building set(s) in it with shooting inside of it aiming to begin in April.

Thanks to 'JHBlade'
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
02-23-2004, 06:08 PM
WOW :eek:
Ken Watanabi as Ra's Al-Ghul? :sur:
I'm usually not a fan of changing a characters heritage for the sake of the film (considering Ra's isn't Asian in the books) but I think Ken will do a fantastic job. He definately has a strong presence and anyone who has seen "The Last Samurai" knows he stole the show.

The suit sounds cool but I sure hope they don't decide to go with the short ears. The short eared version never looked very intimidating, resulting in a look that was more Catman than Batman IMO.

The title sounds a bit more along the lines of what I expect from Warner Brothers. I always had the feeling that the title "Intimidation Game" was never going to stick.

Thanks for the update Binks. :)

LTBasker
02-23-2004, 10:37 PM
Any news on the Batmobile? Last I heard they considering basing it off the Dodge Viper, which sounds like the best possibly Batmobile ever!

Hope it's true, it would kick majorly.

RooJay
02-24-2004, 02:51 PM
I'm gonna take a 'wait and see' on that one. I absolutely loved Ken Watanabe in Last Samurai, and I'm dying to see more of him on the big screen. It's just that he does seem to ring true to the character in my eyes. Not that I'm at all certain he couldn't pull it off - I'm sure he can. I'm just not sure there are many Japanese living in countries where arab languages are the norm that go by arab names. Call me crazy.

I would also like to go on record saying that - much as I like Cillian Murphy, he doesn't seem at all right for the part of the Scarecrow to me. I should point out that the reports I've heard seem to indicate that he'll actually be playing this 'Ducard' character who I understand will be an associate of Ra's Al Ghul, rather than Scarecrow. I picture Scarecrow as someone a bit older and a bit...'scarier' looking. I much preffered Chris Eccleston, as the old rumors had mentioned, as my Scarecrow. He seemed to embody far more of the qualities I see in the comics version of the Scarecrow, and has a much better voice for the role, in my opinion. :dis: I just don't see Murphy as the former psychologist turned fear obsessed maniac type.

I guess it can't be all perfect! :rolleyes:

scruffziller
02-27-2004, 10:26 AM
Yep here is a Ken pick from The Last Samauri, look like they got the perfect guy.:)

-Durge-
02-27-2004, 07:53 PM
Whats the deal on the costume? What colour any pics? If not when will we see pics?

Beast
03-03-2004, 02:07 PM
Another update for the film, with a full plot synopsis. :)

Director Christopher Nolan (Memento, Insomnia) and screenwriter David S. Goyer (the Blade trilogy) join forces for another action-packed chapter of the Batman saga!

As a young boy, Bruce Wayne watched in horror as his millionaire parents were slain in front of him -- a trauma that leads him to become obsessed with revenge. But the opportunity to avenge his parent's deaths is cruelly taken away from him by fate.

Fleeing to the East, where he seeks counsel with the dangerous but honorable ninja cult leader known as Ra's Al-Ghul, Bruce returns to his now decaying Gotham City, which is overrun by organized crime and other dangerous individuals manipulating the system. Meanwhile, Bruce is slowly being swindled out of Wayne Industries, the company he inherited.

The discovery of a cave under his mansion, along with a prototype armored suit, leads him to assume a new persona, one which will strike fear into the hearts of men who do wrong; he becomes Batman!!!

In the new guise, and with the help of rising cop Jim Gordon, Batman sets out to take down the various nefarious schemes in motion by individuals such as mafia don Falcone, the twisted doctor/drug dealer Jonathan 'The Scarecrow' Crane, and a mysterious third party that is quite familiar with Wayne and waiting to strike when the time is right.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
03-04-2004, 02:41 PM
Looks like Gary Oldman will be taking the role of Jim Gordan. And a bit more news on the suit, including the Glide-Cape. From Ain't it Cool News. :)

Gary Oldman to play young Sgt Jim Gordon in BATMAN BEGINS!

Hey folks, Harry here... as if to continue the non-stop ***-kicking that Christopher Nolan seems to be doing with BATMAN BEGINS (new title, in case ya hadn't heard, it was reported everywhere) - the latest piece of Holy ****, That's Cool News comes from FILMFORCE! Apparently Gary Oldman has been cast as Sgt Jim Gordon - who, of course one day becomes Commissioner Gordon, the character we know and love. This is added to the cast we all know so far as: Christian Bale as Batman, Michael Caine as Alfred, Katie Holmes as Rachel Dodson, Liam Neeson as Ducard, Ken Watanabe as Ra's al Ghul, Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox, Cillian Murphy as Jonathan Crane, and Larry Holden as D.A. Fisk.

In addition, a scooper named "The Only Woj," who got the info from Batman-on-Film.com, says that Batman will be able to glide the skies. His cape is made out of an awesome high tech material that is incredibly light, but when an electrical current is released through it, it becomes a hard material that allows Batman to glide from rooftops to the area below with a touch of a button. Or at least that's the latest.

I think it is clear that many more people are supportive of Christopher Nolan, as opposed to Mikey Eisner, who seems destined for a gold plated cardboard box in a jeweled alley of forcable retirement... at least, that's how things are looking. Ah, things are beginning to look up. What are we going to do when this movie hits and it rules the universe... explode from joy? Robogeek, upon hearing the news wondered aloud, will Jim Gordon scream out, "Bring me everyone. EEEEHHHHHVVVVREEEWAAAANNNN!!!!"? Well, heh... we'll see sometime next year!
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

-Durge-
03-05-2004, 12:38 AM
I'm getting hyped...!

Beast
03-05-2004, 05:12 PM
Here's a picture of the first teaser poster. Look, Bruce has a comfy knitted costume. And that tagline is pure cheese. Sounds like something that belongs more on the cheesy Batman & Robin. Here's an attachment, and a link to a bigger version. :D

http://www.aintitcool.com/image/batman-begins.jpg

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-05-2004, 05:19 PM
Binks- you must have the eyes of a bat yourself because i see some nice knitted action, but that could be a cape or something; no reason to fret, friend. I like the tagline myself; no cheese at all. It's a good way to set up the evolution of the character. Two thumbs up from this bat fan! :D

Edit: Binks, according to Superherohype, Warner Bros has been contacted and has said that the promo is a fake.

http://www.superherohype.com/batman/index.php?id=968

Kidhuman
03-05-2004, 05:33 PM
Maybe that knitted thing is Bruce Waynes baby blanket.

-Durge-
03-05-2004, 07:35 PM
It's fake.

Beast
03-07-2004, 05:58 PM
Well, here's some real news. From Dark Horizon's. Sounds good so far. :)

"Batman" Begins In Earnest
Posted: Friday March 5th, 2004 12:10am (US-PST)
Author: Garth Franklin

Production officially began in Iceland this week on the Chris Nolan-directed "Batman Begins" and in a press release announcing this, Warner Bros. has also revealed the last remaining major cast addition - Gary Oldman who can next be seen this Summer's "Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban". Oldman is set to play Lt. James Gordon, a detective on Gotham's police force whom comic fans will know as a man who rises to the position of Commissioner.

This puts the official cast as Christian Bale, Sir Michael Caine, Liam Neeson, Katie Holmes, Morgan Freeman, Cillian Murphy, Ken Watanabe and Oldman. No word yet on smaller roles but we should expect at least one major cameo.

With filming underway, the first set report has already been sent in to DH by 'Iceman' and here it is:

"Day 1 - They've set up about ten small huts and apparently it's supposed to be a village in Tibet, with more huts to be added by CGI. Yesterday Batman and someone were fighting with swords on the glacier. Tomorrow a magnificent scene will be filmed with Batman and the bad guy fighting while crashing down a steep hill toward a very high cliff. Of course this will be done with some elaborate wire work".

Day 2 - Liam Neeson has been spotted, he is sporting an Asian looking mustache with a one inch gap in the mustache under his nose. Also Christian Bale has a "one month beard". As far as I know he has not yet begun wearing the batsuit. He is wearing some leather clothes with a string belt. In one scene Christian Bale was being carried over the shoulder by someone. The buzz is that this is supposed to be the beginning of the movie. Oh and there is an buddist looking temple also"

Finally, yet another script review is up at IGN Filmforce (http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/496/496077p1.html).

Thanks to 'Brandon', 'Brian', 'Icebat' & 'Ooi'
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
03-07-2004, 05:58 PM
Binks- you must have the eyes of a bat yourself because i see some nice knitted action, but that could be a cape or something; no reason to fret, friend.Batman only wears his emblem on his chest, and sometimes on his belt. Since this clearly isn't his belt, JJB logically could deduce that it's supposed to be the chest.

"Deduction: the only super power that Batman has"

-Durge-
03-07-2004, 06:09 PM
The set report sounds very promising. When will we see the suit?

RooJay
03-08-2004, 01:53 PM
I predict we will see pictures of the suit when pictures of it leak. ;)

This is looking more and more like the greatest movie ever made! Also, I think I may have already figured out the twist ending - I'm pretty certain it's gonna involve Liam Neeson in a major way. :cool:

Hellboy
03-08-2004, 09:06 PM
Also, I think I may have already figured out the twist ending - I'm pretty certain it's gonna involve Liam Neeson in a major way. :cool:

ok RooJay I'll bite. What do you think the twist is? :Ponder:

RooJay
03-08-2004, 11:39 PM
My suspicion has only grown stronger in light of various bits of info I've been reading online today. In light of what might be considered spoilers, all those wary of such please be warned...
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S...

I believe that Liam Neeson, and not Ken Watanabe, is the real Ra's Al Ghul. I will tell you why.
Original reports had indicated that Liam Neeson had actually been signed onto the project to play Ra's rather than this "Ducard" character as the current official word states. Fans of the comics immediately noted the physical similarities between Neeson and the comic’s version of Al Ghul; a brilliant bit of casting, I thought upon hearing this. Of course, as we all know it was later stated that Neeson was signed to the Ducard role and that Ken Watanabe had been brought on as "the Demon's Head.” Hearing leaked reports of Liam Neeson's physical appearance during filming - particularly his facial hair, which comic fans will recognize as being consistent with Ra's Al Ghul's appearance.
Making my rounds to the usual websites this afternoon, I came across a report on one of the major movie sites wherein one of the contributors offered an advance review of the script which he had been privileged to read (granted, it may not have been the final shooting script, but it jibes with other reviews I've read of the script as well as what we all know about the project). In the review (which was nothing short of glowing by the way) the writer lets slip that "Ra's Al Ghul is killed in an explosion, but Bruce saves Ducard's life" (but isn't he supposed to be immortal?!). Prior to Bruce donning the cape and cowl. For those keeping score - that leaves Ken Watanabe's "main villain" character dead fairly early on and Liam Neeson' Ducard character alive and well, and in the company and rather beholden to Bruce Wayne.
Not only is this Ducard more or less officially said to be a "mentor" to Wayne, but I also recall hearing rumors (particularly early on when Neeson was first revealed to be playing this character) that he'd been some sort of associate of Wayne's father.
I'm beginning to suspect that this Ducard is actually the real Ra's Al Ghul, going incognito in some sort of scheme to gain Wayne's trust, and that Ken Watanabe's character is actually a stand-in, possibly one of Ra's trusted generals in his "League of Shadows ninja cult" in actuality. Further compounding this notion in my mind is another review of the script, on yet another site that states that "Ra's is like the Keyser Soze of Batman's universe,” and we all know the kind of secret plot twist that particular allusion conjures up. I'm not entirely clear on what the significance of this Ducard could possibly be, otherwise.
Furthermore, I will even go so far as to say that I'm beginning to think that the real Ra's Al Ghul may even turn out to have been somehow involved in the death of Thomas and Martha Wayne. That he may have, in effect, "created" Batman intending to use him for his own purposes (something that at least one of the reviews implies, stating "Ra's Al Ghul tells Bruce that he wants to destroy Gotham, and through what they have taught him, he will be the one to do it.") Anyone else here seeing the perfect setup for a "Bruce...I am your father" type of plot twist here? Yet another allusion that I've heard in reference to this movie's supposed ending...

Beast
03-10-2004, 12:26 PM
More big Bats news from Dark Horizons. From what I'm hearing so far, it sounds hopeful. I just hope it ends up as good as it sounds. The movie could end up crashing and burning, no matter how good it sounds. We'll all have to just keep hoping and waiting. :)

Batman" talk continues and more today about the suit and the US press reaction comes in from the London spy who reported details the other week:

"I have two reports this time, first is that the first Batsuit stock arrived at Shepperton Studios from Lindy Hemming's Hampshire studio yesterday. Four big security dudes unloaded a large crate from the truck and quickly disappeared into the Batman Wardrobe dept (still signposted 'Intimidation Game' btw).

A worker in the know this afternoon told me that the suit looks unusual but it's very confusing because they have the hero and stunt versions and the pieces were covered in plastic and labels, they haven't been assembled yet. The inner bodysuit is definitely dark grey but leather and used looking, not shiny like in the last movies but a material that looks like a second skin.

The chest area features a large black bat emblem that doesn't look like the one from the movies or the comics but looks very cool, he said everyone cheered when the packing materials were removed from the crate and the emblem was the first thing they saw at the top and obviously packed that way deliberately by Lindy.

All the other pieces are dark grey/granite but so dark its almost black. The cowl looks small and may stretch to fit the wearer, complete with longish ears. It looks like there is a an extra piece that covers the chin area but couldn't confirm as it was being held in a costume person's hand when he saw it. Unfortunalty he couldn't see the cape or belt clearly.

Overall he said they are going for the Spiderman/Daredevil look where Batman looks like a more agile human being rather than a guy in a bulky muscle suit. He said that the stunt suit is being fitted to one of Bale's doubles this afternoon and they will be 'testing it', how they are going to test it is anyones guess. Another five hero suits and ten stunt suits will arrive next week.

Also, news has filtered to Shepperton that the American press are expressing concern over the cast. Not about the quality, which is undoubtedly high, but that there's no American actors (they seem to forget about Holmes and Freeman). I am told that each of the cast did attend a casting like everyone else, even Liam Neeson and Christian Bale.

The director and the casting director have seen many American actors, both famous and unknowns, even requesting that American agents send more to the castings. In each case its the British actor which has demonstrated to fit the part. It's also bullsh** that Nolan wanted Bale to use his real Middle England accent".

Thanks to 'Crazy'. MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
03-19-2004, 03:57 PM
We have the official site, and the official logo online now. No info at the site, but you can get a good look at the new Batman logo. :)

http://batmanbegins.warnerbros.com/

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
03-31-2004, 12:29 AM
Wow. Just Wow. First look at the ole Batmobile has been revealed on the official site. I have to say, I think it looks pretty damn sweet myself. Even if it looks more like the APC from ALIENS, then the Batmobile. But it does seem much more grounded in reality. And looks eons better then the Batmobile from Batman Forever or Batman & Robin. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-31-2004, 07:40 AM
The hell??!?! That's the batmobile?!!? Hm, well, at first, it looks kinda silly, but i guess i could grow to like it. I just expected something sort of like the old batmobiles, not an ATV wannabe. Looks pretty sweet though, i guess. cheers! :D

Hellboy
03-31-2004, 04:27 PM
Uhm... I've gotta disagree with you guys here. That thing that is supposed to be the Batmobile is hideous. Now don't get me wrong if its one of many Batmobiles I can live with it, but if this is the vehicle that he uses to cruise the streets of Gotham I think they missed the mark, bigtime. It's just not a practical looking vehicle for urban transportation IMO. :silly:

James Boba Fettfield
03-31-2004, 05:23 PM
Just make it a tank like the Dark Knight Returns had. You remember, the Batmobile redesigned because of riots.

-Durge-
03-31-2004, 06:17 PM
No, no NO!!! That is this a black racing truck? What the hell?!!

JediTricks
03-31-2004, 09:20 PM
Just make it a tank like the Dark Knight Returns had. You remember, the Batmobile redesigned because of riots.
This thing actually reminds me of that a little.

Here's my thinking, I like how this vehicle looks, but it doesn't feel right as Batman's main car, which is usually fast, nimble, sleek, and armored. This thing may be the latter, and possibly also "fast", but it doesn't look nimble or sleek, it looks like a behemouth, I can't picture it racing through the dark city streets of Gotham. It's hard to get an idea of scale here though, if those tires are roughly the size of those on a Humvee, this thing is actually much smaller than I thought and if you compare the size of the grass and other areas to the car, it just might be the case.

Beast
04-01-2004, 01:51 AM
Well, look what we have here. It's an artist rendering of the Batman Begins Bat Costume. Based on the reports of the suit arriving on the set. I think it works. I still like the Burton big ears look better. But this should look good. As for the Batmobile. Remeber that it was a prototype Military Vehicle that WayneTech was working on. That Bruce Wayne takes to use as his first Batmobile. :)

Artist Tom Hodges (check out his site http://www.tomhodges.com/) has created this fan rendering of Batman for Superhero Hype!, based on eyewitness accounts we've received of what the costume looks like. It's as close to the final Batman Begins costume as you can get without a photo (let's hope one is released soon!).
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

-Durge-
04-01-2004, 08:25 AM
I think the costume looks very, very good. Well done WB.

Beast
04-01-2004, 06:13 PM
Here's some pictures of the sculpture for the Batsuit. Looks like we are going to be getting the big ears after all. Which is great, never liked the idea of small ears on the batman costume. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

-Durge-
04-01-2004, 07:16 PM
Looks great!! I reaaly can not wait to see a real pic of the thing! Awesome!!

JediTricks
04-01-2004, 07:19 PM
I'm not buying it, seems like an April Fools gag to me - the suit was supposed to be simple and low-tech-looking, this is neither. And what's with the perma-wrinkles in the mask, Batman's constantly scowling?

How come so many comics movies are origin films? Supes and now Bats will have 2 films each with their beginnings. In fact, the only recent comics film I can think of that didn't do the whole "origins" thing was X-men, and it had the Origins of Wolverine.

-Durge-
04-01-2004, 07:24 PM
I ca understand where you are comming from JediTricks but this is the colests pic we have soo far of the costume. I have a feeling we will see it soon...

Beast
04-01-2004, 07:39 PM
JT, don't forget that X1 had the origins of Rogue also. And originally there was going to be origins for Scott, Jean, and Storm also. But they dropped them and just focused on Rogue and on that scene stealing overused freakin Wolverine. As for being fake, I don't know. The images were pulled down by WB, and I managed to get copies of them before that. And that is Christian Bale in the one picture. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

-Durge-
04-01-2004, 07:53 PM
Yes, he looks very happy and exited...:crazed: :rolleyes:

Beast
04-04-2004, 01:27 AM
Seems like the script has fallen into the hands of Kazaa, and is being distributed. SHH had a thread with a lot of spoilers about it, but it got yanked. But some people saved some of it. And posted some of the intresting stuff. Here's the end of the film. Warning, Massive Spoilers. Sounds good though. :)

SPOILERS!!!

BATMAN
Well, sergeant?

GORDON
It's Lieutenant, now. Commissioner Loeb had to promote me. And he had to disband the task force hunting you. Amazing what saving a city can do for your image.

BATMAN
Then things are better.

GORDON
(nods)
You've started something- bent cops running scared, hope on the streets....

Gordon leaves his sentence hanging between them

BATMAN
But?

GORDON
But ther's alot of weirdness out there right now...the Narrows is lost...we still haven't picked up Crane or half the inmates of Arkahm that he freed...

BATMAN
We will. Gotham will return to normal

GORDON
Will it? What about escalation?

BATMAN
Escalation?

GORDON
We start carrying semi-automatics, they buy automatics...we start wearing kevlar, they buy armor piercing rounds...

BATMAN

And?

GORDON leans closer to Batman. Points at him.

GORDON

And... you're wearing a mask and jumping off rooftops....

Gordon fishes in his pocket

GORDON (CONT' D)

Take this guy...

He pulls out a clear plastic evidence bag.

GORDON (CONT' D)

...armed robbery, double homicide...

Inside the clear plastic bag is a PLAYING CARD

Gordon hands Batman the bag.

GORDON (CONT' D)

Leaves a calling card.

Batman turns the card over

It is a JOKER

BATMAN
I'll look into it.

He steps up onto the balustrade. Goerdon looks at him.

GORDON

I never said thank you.

Batman looks out at the lights of Gotham. Cloak billowing around him.

BATMAN
And you'll never have to.

Batman DROPS from the rooftops, GLIDING on the night wind.

Gordon smiles. He can't help it.

FADE OUT

CREDITS

END
SPOILERS!!!

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
04-04-2004, 04:33 PM
A couple pictures of Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne have turned up. He looks ok, other then the goofy smile on his face in both of them. But I guess if he acts like that, noone connects him easily to 'The Bat'. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
04-04-2004, 05:06 PM
I'd buy my tickets now if I could. :D Finally, Batman the way he should've been done all along!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-04-2004, 05:11 PM
I look at him and all I see is Patrick Bateman (his character from "American Psycho"). I like the suave new look of Wayne, but it's going to take some time to get past his suave, but i'm going to kill you! attitude from AS. :D

Beast
04-30-2004, 04:11 AM
Here you go guys, over at SuperHeroHype you can see the first full color picture of Bale as Batman in the suit. It's not the best picture, but it definatly is an impressive one. :)

http://superherohype.com/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Batman/The_Movie/Movie_Stills&image=batmanew.jpg&img=&tt=

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
04-30-2004, 04:14 AM
I was just about to post that myself :). IMO he looks pretty crap! Bring back the classic costume from the 1960s :crazed::p! Only j/k about the 60s costume, but this one does look pretty ugly :(.

PENDO!

Kidhuman
04-30-2004, 06:53 AM
I agree Pendo, it doesnt look all that great. :beard:

Pendo
04-30-2004, 09:55 AM
I agree Pendo, it doesnt look all that great. :beard:
This Batman is gonna end the superhero hype again :crazed:! The costume is awful, rumours of story I've heard haven't done anything for me, and don't even get me started on that Batmo-Tank-Crappy-Mobile-Thingy-ma-jig.....:crazed:! The Batman franchise was dead after the god-awful Batman Forever, so by ruining it more I'm not really arsed :rolleyes:.

PENDO!

scruffziller
04-30-2004, 11:14 AM
A couple pictures of Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne have turned up. He looks ok, other then the goofy smile on his face in both of them. But I guess if he acts like that, noone connects him easily to 'The Bat'. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
The colors in the pic look too cheerful. They better gloom them up a bit.

Hellboy
04-30-2004, 05:02 PM
Yeah I saw this picture in Entertainment Weekly today. :cool:

I'm not sure why you guys don't like it but I think it looks fantastic and really captures the Year One look they're aiming for. The suits from the previous films were awful IMO, with those stupid nipples and that big yellow bat symbol on his chest. This gray-on-black outfit is definately more appropriate for someone who wants to lurk in the shadows and try to intimidate his enemies with his mere presence. Big thumbs up here. :classic:

-Durge-
04-30-2004, 10:30 PM
We need a better pic to judge the suit. But the batmoblie is bad!!

Turambar
04-30-2004, 11:28 PM
We need a better pic to judge the suit. But the batmoblie is bad!!

Ditto on that. Although it looks like the entire chin & neck are bare in the front which isn't good. I really don't care for that cowl style.

JediTricks
05-01-2004, 12:43 AM
Rats, the image is 404 now.

-Durge-
05-01-2004, 07:11 AM
I might be able to help with that...

D'oh...error...try www.batmanbegins.com (http://www.batmanbegins.com)

Hellboy
05-01-2004, 07:37 PM
Here is the page from EW and a few other pictures as well.

RooJay
05-03-2004, 12:23 AM
I'm often shocked by the rampant insanity in these forums. Sorry, but you guys are nuts - the costume is perfect, the casting is perfect, the Batmobile is awesome, and the story sounds awesome! This is really shaping up to be the best comic movie ever made, and certainly the best Batman. I couldn't be more excited for this one. I only wish we could get the same type of treatment for Superman in film.

-Durge-
05-03-2004, 03:19 AM
I'm often shocked by the rampant insanity in these forums. Sorry, but you guys are nuts - the costume is perfect, the casting is perfect, the Batmobile is awesome, and the story sounds awesome! This is really shaping up to be the best comic movie ever made, and certainly the best Batman. I couldn't be more excited for this one. I only wish we could get the same type of treatment for Superman in film.Come on..the batmobile is not good at all. The costume on the other hand is looking great.

JediTricks
05-03-2004, 05:25 PM
I'm often shocked by the rampant insanity in these forums. Sorry, but you guys are nuts - the costume is perfect, the casting is perfect, the Batmobile is awesome, and the story sounds awesome! This is really shaping up to be the best comic movie ever made, and certainly the best Batman. I couldn't be more excited for this one. I only wish we could get the same type of treatment for Superman in film.
To you, yeah, but not to all of us. Personally, I don't really care for the look of this costume judging on these pics, the whole thing.

Hellboy, thanks for the scans.

RooJay
05-03-2004, 09:06 PM
Come on..the batmobile is not good at all. The costume on the other hand is looking great.

What would your idea of a cool Batmobile look like?

-Durge-
05-06-2004, 09:26 AM
Good question...anything but what it is..

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-10-2004, 12:22 AM
SHH had this link to more pics of the batmobile. http://lfi.glbx.image-data.com/dynevent-action-nl.do?eventid=65156

Just click and check them out. I would post the pics, but i'm lazy. :D enjoy!

-Durge-
06-10-2004, 02:16 AM
I actually good very nice..I have changed my mind on this baby!

Pendo
06-10-2004, 04:10 AM
SHH had this link to more pics of the batmobile. http://lfi.glbx.image-data.com/dynevent-action-nl.do?eventid=65156

Just click and check them out. I would post the pics, but i'm lazy. :D enjoy!
YUCK! It's HIDDEOUS! It is too bulky, an ugly shape, the wheels are too fat, and it it looks... well um... crap :rolleyes:!

It doesn't look like it could move very fast either!

PENDO!

Kidhuman
06-10-2004, 10:46 AM
Dude, it looks like it was built at the end of an A-Team episode.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-10-2004, 12:19 PM
Dude, it looks like it was built at the end of an A-Team episode.

No way dude, it looks like it was built on that "Junkyard Wars" show on TLC...or is it Discovery? Still, it looks way too odd for my tastes. Like Pendo said, it's very bulky and doesn't look like it could move well. I could probably outrun it on my bike. :)

Hellboy
06-10-2004, 06:15 PM
I wish there was at least one picture of someone standing next to the vehicle. Its hard to tell how big it actually is without seeing something else as a size reference.

As for the look, I still don't like it. Not sleak enough for my tastes and to much like a military vehicle. One thing I've liked about most of the Batmobile designs is how it's power is somewhat concealed by it's style. It's not quite as bad as the neon designs used in Shumacher's films though. :p

Beast
06-13-2004, 12:51 PM
A couple more pictures from the upcoming 'Batman Begins'. First, one of Bats facing Dr. Crane, better known as 'The Scarecrow'. And a picture of his impressive wingspan, with his cape open. Looks kewl so far. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
06-13-2004, 05:00 PM
Not trying to be a downer, but these pics seem an awful lot like the '89 film. I'm not questioning their authenticity, I'm saying they just look like images from that film - similar costume and similar shots.

"Don't kill me man, don't kill me!"
"I'm not going to kill you, I want you to do me a favor. I want you to tell all your friends about me."
"WHAT ARE YOU?!?"
"I'm Batman."

Oh, and the nose on the cowl seems too big. :D

Beast
06-13-2004, 07:33 PM
Some more news from Dark Horizons. :)

The latest issue of Newsweek has run the first report from the set of "Batman Begins" and drops in not only a swell new photo but some great new information:

Director Chris Nolan says of why he decided to help redux the character - "Batman is an absolutely iconic character, one of the great figures in pop culture, really. But there has to be a reason for making this film as opposed to just renting Tim Burton's version". Thus his joining was on the proviso he could strip away the later sequels' bombast and return "Batman" to its roots in character drama.

The article promises the film "won't look anything like a comic-book movie. In contrast to the gothic fantasia of Burton's creation, Nolan has opted for gritty urban realism". For example, a full city block set of Gotham built in an airplane hangar north of London does not resemble the dark 1930's inspired Gothic architecture of the first two films, nor the flashy Baroque towering skyscrapers of the Schumacher films but rather much of it based on the razed towering slums of Kowloon in Hong Kong.

The Batsuit for example starts out as a transluscent futuristic military design bodysuit complete with body armor and muscle-recovery devices. Wayne sprays it black to camouflage it. The black will be "serious, matte finish—not shiny or gloopy" and no nipples.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
06-13-2004, 07:51 PM
The pictures look great, the costume looks cool to me, but I've got to agree with JT on one thing - the suit does look an awful lot like the Burton Batman costume. I was hoping for something closer to the comics; especially since I remember it being mentioned that the costume would be much different that in the last film series. I honestly see little difference at all. Of course, I'd never had much problem at all with the earlier costumes - except for the ones with nipples!

scruffziller
06-18-2004, 03:21 PM
I wish there was at least one picture of someone standing next to the vehicle. Its hard to tell how big it actually is without seeing something else as a size reference.

As for the look, I still don't like it. Not sleak enough for my tastes and to much like a military vehicle. One thing I've liked about most of the Batmobile designs is how it's power is somewhat concealed by it's style. It's not quite as bad as the neon designs used in Shumacher's films though. :p
I don't like it simply because I don't think Batmobile when I see it.

Beast
07-01-2004, 09:49 PM
And we have some pictures of the cast for Batman Begins. The Batman/Bruce Wayne pictures are old. But we have pictures of Lucius Fox, Gordon, Alfred, and finally Ducard. :)

Batman/Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) (http://batmanbegins.warnerbros.com/page1.html)
Lucius Fox (Morgan Freeman) (http://batmanbegins.warnerbros.com/page2.html)
Lt. James Gordon (Gary Oldman) (http://batmanbegins.warnerbros.com/page3.html)
Alfred Pennyworth (Michael Caine (http://batmanbegins.warnerbros.com/page4.html)
Henri Ducard (Liam Neeson) (http://batmanbegins.warnerbros.com/page5.html)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

aceguide
07-02-2004, 09:03 AM
Was that Qui Gonn?!?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-03-2004, 12:59 AM
Was that Qui Gonn?!?

It is the same actor who plays Qui gonn, Liam Neison. I know that's spelled wrong too. :crazed:

I really like Gary Oldman as the young James Gordon; he looks really cool! :D

I did wish they had some more pics of Dr. Crane (Cillian Murphy). Maybe in his Scarecrow garb ;) i can wish though. :)

RooJay
07-04-2004, 04:48 AM
Batman/ Bruce Wayne looks great - I would've preferred a much less armored looking costume, but I can certainly deal with this.

Lucius Fox is pretty much what I expected with Morgan Freeman in the role.

Jim Gordon looks straight out of the comics - the only actor I had always thought I'd love to see in the role was Paul Newman (though he's now too old for the role as it would be at this point in the story). Gary Oldman had oddly never occured to me before the first rumors of him being up for the role, but once he was mentioned I knew he'd be perfect for it. I honestly think he's the only actor in the right age range that could perfectly pull off not only the look, but also the sheer intensity of the character as he should be played.

Alfred Pennyworth looks awfully similar to Michael Caine - no big though as I'm certain the man will pull it off perfectly; no doubt that he has the chops to totally own the role.

Henri Ducard still looks suspiciously like Ra's Al Ghul to me. I'm still leaning heavily toward that having something to do with that secret plot twist I've heard that's suposed to come about near the end of the movie. :Ponder:

Turambar
07-06-2004, 10:12 AM
That's gotta be a joke about the batmobile! What the hell is that thing -- it looks ridiculous! Batman would be ashamed to roll around in that thing.

I guess my early impressions of this movie misled me. I got the idea that this batman was going back to the roots and closer to the old comics than the previous junk. But here I see a junkmachine that resembles no batmobile I've ever seen, and batman padded up with a bunch of armor once again. I was hoping to see batman as a detective that outsmarts the villains instead of the bullet-proof superman wannabe that directly confronts the baddies and takes their best shots.
Ah well, this'll go on my "must miss" list with Catwoman.

Beast
07-06-2004, 07:01 PM
The Batman Begins teaser trailer has been attached to the upcoming I, Robot. The teaser trailer runs about one minute and five seconds in length. Seems that Warner has little to no faith in Catwoman, as it was the film originally rumored to carry the Batman teaser. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

-Durge-
07-07-2004, 12:06 AM
Thats great, hopefully we can see some good shots of the bat!

Beast
07-19-2004, 06:06 AM
As most of you have noticed, all copies of the Batman Begins trailer were pulled from 'I, Robot'. There's been no reason given why, but I would assume it would have to be with the trailer not testing well. By the way, here's a breakdown of what could have been the unfinished teaser trailer. The news is from AICN. :)

I was privy to a rough cut of the 'Batman Begins' trailer. I usually find trailer descriptions tedious but for this film I'll make an exception. ..

Here's a shot by shot (stylistically, the films look is raw &bleak, in fact it looks a lot like Nolan's 'Insomnia'...funny that, being the same cinematographer...)

Anyway -

The silvery warners Logo appears (like the Harry potter one)

(Christian Bale's voice narrates the trailer in a raspy, low voice)

* "They told me there was nothing out there"

A low angle shot tracking in front of a bleak rainswept wayne manor. It appears to be a wake. A few people mill about with black umbrellas.

*"they told me there was nothing to fear"

Shot of Alfred (caine) with an umbrella, standing in the rain with a young Bruce next to him.

* Low angle shot looking up from the bottom of a well

- A silhouetted young boy falls through the boarded up opening, he drops down towards the camera, debris flying about him.

* back to close up of small boy in the rain next to Alfred.

"but the night my parents were murdered i caught a glimpse of something..."

*flash cut to a terrified young Bruce cowering in terror, he is partially splattered in blood..

*"....I've looked for it ever since" - an adult Bruce walks slowly along a rainy dock looking out over the ocean. Fades out.

*shot of a rugged iceland mountain range.

*bruce's lonely figure climbs to the top of a snowy mountain range and begins to walk down the other side towards a lonely settlement.

*"I went around the world....searched in all the shadows"

In the barren, icey tundra Bruce enters what looks like a tibetan village, it's desolate, run down, delapidated...

*"and there is something out there in the darkness".

In a blizzard, Bruce climbs a stone stairway to a hilltop monastery.

*"something terrifying..."

Bruce enters the monastery in a shot similar to Aragorn entering King Theodan's keep at Helm's deep in The Two Towers - pushing two massive doors open, light shafts in etc...

*"...that will not stop until it gets revenge"

A feral looking Bruce sits in a dungeon like room, he's dishevelled, dirty.

A shadowy figure moves towards him - we do not see it's face - Bruce's head snaps around to see the assailant - the music climaxes - cut to black -there is a long pause...

*shot of Christian Bale's face , he says: "me"

There is a flash frame of the picture we've already seen - a brooding, costumed Batman in dramatic lighting -cuts to black - out of the blackness comes the rust coloured, revamped bat logo - no title - it says "summer 2005'"

so there you go Harry - personally i think it looks fantastic - Nolan you da frickin' man.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

-Durge-
07-19-2004, 08:04 AM
Not enough Batman IMO...:o

RooJay
07-22-2004, 02:09 PM
Plenty enough for a teaser IMO.

I'm sure the one they finally release will be even better.

Beast
07-27-2004, 03:03 PM
And here we go, one of the first really good looks at the Batman Begins Batman Costume. Looks great to me, can't wait to see this movie. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
07-27-2004, 04:57 PM
And here's some news from SDCC about Batman Begins, from Dark Horizons. :)

It's the film I'm anticipating the most next year, it's a great script and it's the only comic book I've ever read in-depth. Sadly though the most notable 'ball drop' of this year's San Diego's Comic Convention was the "Batman Begins" presentation.

Two years ago "X2" stole the show with a rough trailer compiled from just two weeks of footage, last year the Doc Ock hospital scene from "Spider-Man 2" was shown in full and drew raves. This year "Batman" was expected to be the big winner but instead of any footage or the new trailer which is ready and waiting in the Warner vaults, all the crowd was treated to was a short "Sorry we couldn't be there" video from Chris Nolan and Christian Bale, both of whom (Bale especially) looked slightly bored doing.

The panel itself featured both "28 Days Later" star Cillian Murphy who plays Dr. Jonathan Crane (aka. The Scarecrow), and writer David Goyer answering questions from the crowded room. The crowd questions ranged from hostile to curious, with Goyer reiterating several times that he and Nolan got to do exactly what they wanted to do and the studio has left them alone for the most part, even with some creative decisions they thought had no chance of getting through but have. Someone asked about The Scarecrow costume but it was generally deflected (you'll understand why next year - the idea for it in the film is a great twist).

Before their public appearance, the pair appeared upstairs to answer assorted questions at a small press conference for about two dozen journos where a fifteen minute talk proved far more enlightening than the panel. Goyer confirmed that shooting is a little over three months in and is expected to wrap mid-September. The production will move to Chicago shortly for a three week shoot (mostly exteriors) before heading back to England.

Goyer was VERY thankful they were doing an origin story - "We are telling story that took place well before the other films and we're telling a story that in large part had never been told before. Aside from "Batman: Year One" it was very elliptical, and there's definitely segments in the film that have never been addressed even in the comic books so we were sort of in uncharted territory. When we met DC about 'filing in some of these gaps', they embraced everything we were proposing because it seemed to fit in with everything that had been said before".

In many ways it was exciting to do an origin story "because we weren't beholden to any of the other films or TV series, in comic book terms it is sort of a reboot in a way. The notion was that after our film finished, we could then go off and in subsequent films they can reintroduce the pantheon of villains". What was exciting to Goyer was Nolan's "naturalistic approach" in a way that the story should've been told but no-one had ever approached it that way. It's the "best experience he's ever had working with a studio" because the company allowed them the freedom to do what they wanted and trusted in their decisions.

Cillian wasn't a huge comic book afficianado but read up on all the comics featuring the character and had in-depth discussions with Nolan about the character to understand it and the psychology of fear which Crane uses to compensate for his lack of an imposing physical presence. He talked with Bale and Nolan about how his and Bale' s character use fear for their own very different ends. In the comics the character is very gangly and that is touched upon in the film. He confirmed he did try out for the role of Batman using Kilmer's bodysuit.

In the first discussions with Nolan about which villains to use, Goyer felt strongly they wanted to use characters that hadn't appeared in the films before - "I was familiar with the Rogue's Gallery and fortunately in the case of The Scarecrow and Ra's Al Ghul there were two really great villains that HADN'T been used, after that we were kind of scrapping the bottom of the barrel whether it was Killer Croc or those other crazy characters. I just happen to think Ra's Al Ghul is unique as a Batman villain because his goals, although they're perverted, are more realistic as a character. The Scarecrow is unique because it allows the opportunity to depict a villain that was truly scary and frightening". There was concern over using two villains, but they wouldn't have done it if it hadn't fit in a very "organic way" that HAS to make sense as to why the two of them appear and work together.

Goyer made the bold claim that "I have no doubt in my mind that this will be a seminal film for not just comic book movies but for genre movies for this decade & generation". In terms of avoiding the problems of the previous films, they approached the film from the standpoint that fortunately "Batman" is the most realistic of all the costumed superheroes. If he was going to wear a suit, they need to know what would he need to do it, and what would be required - that was the rule. Technology employed had to be exisiting, be shown in the marketplace in the next ten years or so, or already be in development at the Department of Defense.

What about sequels? "In a way it organically lends itself too one and I think people will be happy with how it goes". Goyer suggested the title "Batman Beginning" which Nolan refined to "Batman Begins" - there were numerous scripts with different names but it was never "Batman: Intimidation Game".
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
07-27-2004, 08:12 PM
Ugh, geez that suit looks as bad - if not worse than - any hero suit in Shumacher's films. It's the most rubbery yet, and not only does it have rubber muscles, it also has techy junk panels too. And look at that neck, looks like Batman had a turkey-neck waddle and grew a goiter problem. And the rubber cowl, that friggin' thing looks to be about an inch thick on either side of the face. So now not only are we faced with yet another origin film even though the telling of how to build a superhero has been done to DEATH in the movies, but we get a suit that looks more like an extension of the rubber trash from "Batman & Robin" than of a guy who decides to throw on an outfit one day and prowl the night looking for criminals.

Thanks for bringing us the news JJB, I just wish I cared for it more.

Reefer Shark
07-27-2004, 11:12 PM
It doesn't look too good to me either. The mask seems way off, and the suit does look a lot like the earlier movies to me (I didn't like any of those flicks, not even the Tim Burton ones).

Ah well, I'll reserve final judgement until I see him in action.

Hellboy
07-28-2004, 06:29 PM
Maybe the other pictures we've seen of the new costume so far were just deceiving because they were close-ups or in the shadows but this doesn't even look like the same thing. The part of the suit around his torso looks like its going to open up or something and the bat-symbol is lost in all of the suits ridges. I do like the utility belt but the gauntlets look to Power Rangerish to me. The resemblace to the Burton and Schumacher costumes is pretty apparent, I still wish they went with the longer ears as well.

They did succeed in making the suit appear more like a suit of armor though. I guess when you consider that was their intention they've succeded but that doesn't mean I like it. :dis:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-29-2004, 01:08 AM
I like the suit very much. I won't dive into why cause frankly, nobody really cares! :D

The trailer is up now at the official site: http://batmanbegins.warnerbros.com/

I loved it and hopefully you will too! I can't wait to see a more in depth trailer with shots of the Scarecrow himself. cheerio!! :crazed:

JediTricks
07-29-2004, 07:40 PM
"I care!" - Luke Skywalker

;)

Seriously though, I am curious what you like about the suit.

Another thing that kinda bugs me about these Batman movies is that they turn Bruce Wayne's alter-ego into a technology junkie, giving him high-tech suits, gimmicks, and cars. The classic Batman had a few gadgets on his belt but nothing over the top and a costume that was simply fabric material rather than super-armor-rubber, he was the vigilante detective who would swing through the streets at night fighting crime using only his muscles and wits to get the upper hand - that's the type of thing I wanted to see from this sort of movie. I don't care if Bruce Wayne is rich, that sort of thing always ends up coming down to the '60s show and it doesn't play well for me all the time - sometimes it does, those popcorn moments, but we've had plenty of those, I was hoping it was finally time for something different, for a smarter Batman flick, but apparently not. The high-tech suit and car are a telling symbol of this.

Beast
07-29-2004, 07:47 PM
I sometimes think some batfans would rather see a guy running around in pajamas. We could have a return to the Adam West days. Batman isn't a powered hero, he needs his suit and his gadgets to measure up to all the other heroes. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
07-29-2004, 09:17 PM
What other heroes? He is the only superhero in Gotham, and the cinematic Bat-universe seems to have no other superheroes in it that I know of (I'm discounting the Shumacher blunder on that one ;)). Batman's powers are his mind, not his wallet.

RooJay
07-29-2004, 11:01 PM
Would you say then JT, that you're a Batman purist in the sense that your preferred version of Batman is the comics version from pre-1940? Granted Batman in the comics hasn't always been one to carry around a gaggle of of high tech junk on his person, but from very early on he's never shied away from riding around in high tech thingies. The comics have more or less always had various different versions of the Batmobile not to mention the Batboat, Batplane, Batjet, Batcopter, Batgyro, Batcycle, and so on.
While I will agree that things sometimes get carried away in this respect in the movies, they certainly should not be overlooked. They are very much a part of who Batman is. Of course, I also would have much preffered seeing Christian Bale running around in Batman's far more familiar comic book 'pajamas' as well. The armor just doesn't bother me much at all, though. Not nearly as much as it would to see say...Superman flying around in some armored high tech getup.

Speaking of Batman and Superman - has everyone seen this yet?:

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2645491

-Durge-
07-30-2004, 07:44 AM
Love the costume!!!

Is scarecrow in this movie?! What does he look like in the movie?

El Chuxter
07-30-2004, 01:19 PM
What other heroes? He is the only superhero in Gotham....

Robin
Nightwing
Azrael
Oracle
Spoiler
Batgirl
Huntress
Ragman
the Golem of Gotham

That's just off the top of me head.

If you want to count vigilantes and quasi-heroes, throw in:

Hitman
Catwoman
Electrocutioner
Lockup
Anarky
Phantasm

JediTricks
07-30-2004, 07:11 PM
Would you say then JT, that you're a Batman purist in the sense that your preferred version of Batman is the comics version from pre-1940? Absolutely not a purist, there are so many iterations of Batman that I dig, cartoons, TV shows, almost any era of the comics, it's just that for my tastes, I think cinematically we've seen an awful lot of the high-tech duke-'em-out Hollywood Batman since '89 and I don't think it's that interesting anymore, it becomes a shallow studio franchise and relies more on special effects and flashy gadgets and action scenes than the characters and stories and detective work and true crimefighting.

Granted Batman in the comics hasn't always been one to carry around a gaggle of of high tech junk on his person, but from very early on he's never shied away from riding around in high tech thingies. The comics have more or less always had various different versions of the Batmobile not to mention the Batboat, Batplane, Batjet, Batcopter, Batgyro, Batcycle, and so on. While I will agree that things sometimes get carried away in this respect in the movies, they certainly should not be overlooked. They are very much a part of who Batman is. Absolutely, I have no problem not only acknowledging the truth of what you say here, but that on the TV shows (the '60s show and the cartoons) and in the comics I even really enjoy these things; it's just that I don't think they're the main thing in the Batman story, they're not what truly forms the character.

I think Batman's main bag... er, "belt" of tricks could be something as simple as a few batarangs, some smoke pellets, maybe the small canister rebreather, some bat-line in one of the boxes, and a small communications system if need be, and I think these items don't need to look high-tech to actually be effective, it's their use on-screen that will do the work there.

The armor just doesn't bother me much at all, though. Not nearly as much as it would to see say...Superman flying around in some armored high tech getup.I dunno, the rubber/plastic armor with the fake muscles and whatnot just seems so stale and inauthentic to me, it puts an extra layer of disbelievability into the character and looks too much like another toy rather than the costume he wears to strike fear into the hearts of criminals.

Robin
Nightwing
Azrael
Oracle
Spoiler
Batgirl
Huntress
Ragman
the Golem of Gotham Yeah, they were all great in the cinematic bat-universe! Oh wait, except for crappy Robin in the 2 crappy Shumacher films, none of these heroes are there. (That's my snarky way of saying you missed my point about referring only to the movies ;))

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-08-2004, 12:55 AM
Here is a video of the new Batmobile in action!

http://www.croqaudile.com/index.php?page=clips&id=4114

Go ahead, talk amongst yourselves......i'll give you a topic: the batmobile in the new batman film, discuss. :crazed:

Hellboy
08-08-2004, 01:40 AM
Pretty strange looking, doesn't really look like a Batmobile at all. I hated the way it looked the first time I watched the video but after a few more viewings I started warming up to it, but only a bit.

Reefer Shark
08-08-2004, 01:51 PM
It looks like something out of Aliens, doesn't look like a Batmobile to me.

While the teaser trailer looks interesting, I still don't like the costume or the Batmobile at all.....

You guys seen that short fan film with Batman/Aliens/Predator?

He had the grey tights there, but it looked really cool. It wasn't lame like the old TV show. If they would've done something like that here, then I bet a lot of us would be much happier.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-08-2004, 02:30 PM
It looks like something out of Aliens, doesn't look like a Batmobile to me.

While the teaser trailer looks interesting, I still don't like the costume or the Batmobile at all.....

You guys seen that short fan film with Batman/Aliens/Predator?

He had the grey tights there, but it looked really cool. It wasn't lame like the old TV show. If they would've done something like that here, then I bet a lot of us would be much happier.

Yeah, that was the "Batman: Dead End" short film released last summer. It wasn't that he just had the tights, it was how it was shot that it got such a great response! How he jumps onto the concete and we see that overhead shot of Batmans cape and how it slides as he stands up. That was chilling!!! :beard:

RooJay
08-10-2004, 04:43 PM
Speaking of Batman and Superman - has everyone seen this yet?:

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2645491

If you liked Batman: Dead End you might find the above link interesting as well. Pretty good follow-up if I do say so myself! As I understand this short very nearly won Sandy Collora the directing gig on the new Superman project before Warners decided on Bryan Singer.

Hellboy
12-10-2004, 11:08 PM
The new trailer is hitting theaters this week attached to Ocean's Twelve. Apparently you can see it before some showings of Blade: Trinity as well. It will be available online on the official site starting Monday.

The new international teaser poster has been released. I've personally been really disappointed in the lack of quality and originality in movie posters as of late but this new Batman Begins poster has me drooling. Check it out for yourself.

http://www.allocine.fr/film/galerie_gen_cfilm=51013&filtre=&page=2.html

Beast
01-10-2005, 01:22 PM
New Superbowl Trailer Synopsis (From Superhero Hype) - Unconfirmed:

We have no way of confirming the following at this moment, but according to an anonymous scooper this is what you'll be seeing on CBS during the Super Bowl on February 6th.

I saw some "raw" footage of Batman Begins the other day which is a preview that we'll get to see during the superbowl. it has a 1:15 running time.

It starts out in the darkness-smoke appears-footsteps-a swish of a cape.

clips of bruce-ducard-batman disappearing over a ledge at night. superfast, within one second. the music is of tim burtons batman i believe.

Black screen-nararator talks

"Some say hes a legend"

Bruce voiceover while we are shown ice swordfight. "the good people need something to rally behind." Bruce finishes as we see in him a plane.

Batman buckles his belt-half a second shot

Bruce finishes his sentence in the plane-"and the bad to fear".

Lights flicker on a black screen-the batcave.

Alfred sees it-"charming".(sarcastic).

Quick clip of batman swinging.

black screen- nararator: "some say, hes a ghost."

We see Rachel* turn around to face us. she's in a dress.

Bruce(v.o.)rachel, this isn't the real me.

Quick clips, all within a second, of a bald asian man leaping with a sword, a ton of ninjas getting read. both were in the last trailer.

Clip of two kids running in a greenhouse*

Ducard draws his sword-Batman stand high, cape blowing the wind.

Black screen-nararator: "some say he fights for justice."

Batman punches two thugs. We then see Gordon*-"This man brought down the biggest crime lord in town"-clip of Batman leaping off a building.

Black screen-nararator: "others, for revenge."

The tumbler roars-bruce is in it: does it come in black?

Bruce does a back flip off a table, batman throws a batarang into the camera. A building explodes(was in last trailer). Batman runs along the rooftops. Batman englufs a thug in darkness. Bruce walks around with two good looking women.

Batman pulls his cowl on.

Nararator: "noone has seen his face."

Batman is in a dark alley with Gordon-
Gordon: Ill give you my car-
Batman: I brought mine-

Lights flash-the batmobile ROARS by the screen-its a cool shot.

The batmobile blows through a wall-

Nararator: "But everyone...shall know his name."

Batman starts to look up-bruce sword fights-batman head keeps rising-car explodes on the street-batman finishes looking up. we see his face.

MAN: Who in the hell are you?

Batman: I'm batman.

Suddenly the music from pirates of the caribean (the fast paced music) kicks in. Its all clips now. first the batmobile rides over the camera, batman, on fire, flys out a window, Batman kicks two thugs, batman swings over the city in his cape-the batmobile smashes into a car-a huge train roars into a building-

Were in a huge dark-old room. A thug says "but he's just one man". Creame* v.o.s "He's not just one man, he has a talent for disruption". He voice overs it as we see cops stumble upon a man creating the batsignal at night-hes tied to the spotlight.

A train car explodes as the one infront of keeps going-batman hangs onto the top of the train as his legs dangle-batman free swings over the city-smashes through an awning and goes between two cars.

We see Creame-he could be anywhere-

Batman glides down a large stairwell in very dramatic dive-his wings unfold.

two guys slides down the ice-a oil tanker partially explodes-batman, carrying rachel, swings upwards towards the camera.

Words-CHRISTIAN BALE

Bruce GLARES hard at someone-

Words-Liam Neeson

Duvard sword fights

Words-Katie Holmes

Rachel runs

Words-Morgan Freeman

Morgan looks at us from a chair.

words: and Michael Caine

Alfred peers up.

Batman swings-batman flies through a fire-batman knees someone in the face-Bruce punches ducard while a place burns around him-

words BATMAN BEGINS

words: Are you ready to begin?

The screen is black-it opens up two be two elevator doors and the scarecrow sprays gas at the screen and we shoot to: JUNE 17TH
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
01-10-2005, 02:49 PM
I wonder if this is gonna actually happen, or if it'll be another trailer rumor that ends up being The Hulk, i.e., something less cool than commonly expected like that.

James Boba Fettfield
01-10-2005, 03:36 PM
We have no way of confirming the following at this moment, but according to an anonymous scooper this is what you'll be seeing on CBS during the Super Bowl on February 6th

So the folks doing the Batman advertising have decided to do a Professor Farnsworth and air their commercial during the Super Bowl, just not on the same channel. FOX is handling the Super Bowl this year.

I understand it was a mistake on the part of SHH by saying the Super Bowl would be on CBS, but I could not resist the Farnsworth mention.

JediTricks
01-11-2005, 11:10 PM
What a great plan! Air it opposite the most-watched television show of the year, that will get them TONS of viewers! Idiots.

BTW, nice ref on the Planet Express ad. :D And nice 'tar and sig', poor Angel Eyes never stood a chance, but I still don't know how good an idea it was to leave Tuco alive.

James Boba Fettfield
01-12-2005, 03:32 PM
Just my part in trying to keep Futurama alive in the world.

JediTricks
01-13-2005, 08:42 PM
We've all got to do our part. :D

I keep flashing back to the images of the Bat:Begins toys, and I keep getting the feeling we're looking at more Batman & Robin-quality design which I think is totally the wrong direction.

Hellboy
04-21-2005, 05:42 PM
Found this news over at SHH.

Two DC Comics legends, Clark Kent and Batman, will unite on Wednesday, May 18th (8:00 p.m. ET) as the WB presents the world premiere of an exclusive eight-minute special footage preview of the highly anticipated theatrical release of Batman Begins, which will air within the 90-minute presentation of the seasoin finale of the network's hit drama, Smallville.
http://www.superherohype.com/news/batmannews.php?id=2872

Sounds a lot like what Universal and the USA network did with the recent Dawn of the Dead remake when they aired the first 10 minutes of the film during a showing of Final Destination. Notice it says "within" though, so don't just tune into the show during the last 10 minutes or so and hope to see it since it will most likely be shown somewhere in the middle.

I can't believe I actually have a reason to watch Smallville again. :D

RooJay
04-24-2005, 09:02 PM
Did any catch the footage? I don't watch Smallville and had no intention of starting.