PDA

View Full Version : Any May 3, 1999/April 23, 2002 days?

Bel-Cam Jos
04-24-2002, 12:14 PM
Do any of you Vintage-era collectors remember anything similar to the Midnight Madness sales for E1 and E2 merchandise for the Kenner products? Now I know there never was such a thing, but individually, did any of you have massive purchases of SW stuff? Where you could just pick and choose (maybe even get ALL that was there! :eek: ) whatever you wanted, and then gorge on all the plastic glory at home? Alas, I do not; only Christmas or birthday times where I'd get maybe 3 figures and a ship.

JediBoulton
04-25-2002, 11:42 AM
Just for memories sake -- I remember seeing the toys for the first time. The movie came out in May and my B-day is in August. I so bad wanted all those figures (all 12 I guess -- haha). I pleaded with my mom and she said -- "nope -- too close to your B-day"

Few months later I got up B-day morning and ran to parents room. I wanted PRESENTS !! -- Mom handed me a "luke skywalker" figure and said that there were six more hidden in the house -- go find them. For 30 mins. I went through the house looking up and down; I found R2-D2, C-3P0, Vader, Stormtrooper, and Han solo (small head). Mom said that I was missing one..I kept looking and looking. She forgot which one she had gotten me. Finally a few hours later -- I found my Chewy. We went out to eat that night at the local Dairy Queen and when I came back, my grandparents had taped a Princess leia to our back door.

This was a sure sign that I would become a "STARWARS" NUTT!!!

Thanks for the walk down memory lane...

S3PO
04-25-2002, 07:11 PM
I remember going to Lionel Play World and the ESB figures were out before the movie was in theaters. My father let me get two so I got Bespin Luke and Leia but I had to wait for my b-day to get Han Hoth, Lando, Bespin Guard, Rebel Soldier and Snowtrooper.

Taichi
04-26-2002, 08:47 AM
Well, I was young when Jedi came out (3)....

so, I was pretty much picking up the leftovers when I was a kid....

add to that, fleamarkets, garage sales, and other wonderful things, and I had amassed a large collection of loose, incomplete figures (I have about 1/3 of the Vintage figure collection)....

I'm happy with my collection, despite the fact that most figures are dogeared, played with, dirty, and spotted due to age.....

I still love my vintage figures, and wouldn't get rid of ANY ONE of them.......even for perfect condition carded versions of the same ones.......

LusiferSam
04-27-2002, 11:05 PM
I remember for ROTJ my local toy store had a lot wall of mostly Star Wars figures. Lots of playsets and vehicles too. Had I had the money (and had mom let me) I could have most every one thing. Oh they also had a bunch of "Force" lightsabers me and a friend like to play with. Those were the days.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-28-2002, 01:08 AM
I remember a kinda Midnight Madness instance. My local Thrify Drugs (now a RiteAid) had several POTF figures there, and my mom had driven a few of my friends and I there for ice cream. She allowed me to get just one, and I chose General Lando. I begged to get the rest, but I think she didn't want to buy a bunch of toys for only me in front of my friends. When I went back, only an opened Barada was left. :(

skyywalkerr
04-30-2002, 08:19 PM
Jedi Boulton...was this for Empire? I thought the figs didnt make an appearance till the early spring of 1978 with the early bird kit. Was it maybe for Empire?

bigbarada
05-05-2002, 03:18 AM
The Early Bird Kit certificates showed up in Christmas 1977, and the first figures didn't hit stores until Spring 1978 at the earliest. Movies were considered merchandising poison in those days, it was the success of Star Wars that changed all that, even though it took almost a full year after the movie's release for the first figures to show up.

mark2d2
05-05-2002, 07:23 AM
They're right about no toys until 1978.

Strangely, I also don't remember this lapse. I remember seeing the movie. And I vividly remember getting the my first two figs ----- Leia and Artoo.
I think part of the confusion was that the movie played forever nearly everywhere. In some places ANH ran for well over a year in the theatres!

My biggest coup was the day I came home and found Chewbacca, C3-P0, and Obiwan Kenobi laid out on my bed which totally completed my collection. (Mom had been to Target!) I couldn't believe I actually had all twelve figures . . .

JEDI_REDEEMER
05-08-2002, 12:03 PM
WOW What memories...Christmas 1978 brought me The Tie Fighter, 12" Stormtrooper, Death Star Playset, and the landspeeder...At that time I was 3 years old and didnt realize therewere Action Figures too until my Mom told me there was something hidden in the tree...and sure enough there were all 12 figures MOC stuck in the tree... I still have polaroid Photos of that day my fav is the one where Im pulling out the figures and you can see vader, chewie and luke all nice and MOC....good thing I still have all those toys :) Star Wars had me hooked from that day till now...and forever.

JediBoulton
05-08-2002, 03:40 PM
Howdy skyywalkerr, It may well have been in 78' of August -- I dont remember the time frame. I just "sadly" remember ripping those 12 back figures open and playing with the figures, burying them in the dirt and playing with them in the bath tub. Man, You guys must hate me for the "ripping" part. Not bother -- I hate myself more -- hahaha.

Just to make it right -- I PROMISE to NEVER RIP another 12 BACK as long as I live :-)

Darth-AWT
05-08-2002, 07:27 PM
I was horrible with toys as a child. I destroyed all of them.

But my greatest memory is coming home from school one day (must have gotten good grades or somthing) And sitting on the kitchen table was a Millinium Falcon, out of the box and all set up to play with. When I opened it I saw that my Dad had recreated a seen from ANH, C-3PO, R2-D2 and Chewy were playing the game, Han was sitting near a control console, Luke was standing by the training drone, and Obi-Wan was watching Luke.

Almost makes me cry to think about it.

eliwankenobi
05-10-2002, 12:52 PM
I love my memories of getting vintage SW toys. My mom wouldn't buy my any first off and I used to play with my friend that had the first nine and the Death Star and Landspeeder.
I don't remember what my first figure was (maybe Chewie), but I definitely remember getting my first X-Wing at K-Mart. The best day ever was when my grandpa gave me $20 for my 8th b-day and I went and bought the Millennium Falcon. What a glorius day!!!
I don't remember ever NOT being able to find any figure I wanted. All the figs were everywhere!! Especially Admiral Ackbar! For some reason I remember 100s of him on the pegs.
Between my brother and me, we had EVERYTHING!!! Now I have but a few items from my original collection. My mom sold off most of our stuff at garage sales.

Aaaarrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

But aaaaahhhh, the memories. :)

jedi_uk73
05-10-2002, 01:40 PM
I can remember back in '78-79, going into my local toy shop and finding a few unopened cases of figures. My parents enquired about opening them, once opened, people came from every direction and grapped what they could. Luckily I was in first a got 5 or 6 figures.

I had a reminder in 1999 for the Episode I merchandise. All those vultures again.

Unfortunately only 10 TRU's in the UK were open for ATOC stuff. My nearest one was 35 miles away so I didn't bother.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-10-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by eliwankenobi
I don't remember ever NOT being able to find any figure I wanted. All the figs were everywhere!! Especially Admiral Ackbar! For some reason I remember 100s of him on the pegs.

Aaaarrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

But aaaaahhhh, the memories. :)
EWK (can I call you that?), I think the reason for that was that Ackbar was a mail-away figure. I know I never even considered getting another one of any of the mail-aways (Bossk, Fett, Nunb, etc.) because, my thinking then was, why would anyone want 2 Ackbars? :sur: Two Stormtroopers? Two Luke X-Wings? Maybe.

I also have a memory of being back in Ohio for summer vacation in 1980. I was being given a ESB figure at a time (Rebel Soldier, 1st Bespin Guard, Lando, etc) by my parents. However, being the get-in-trouble-often kind of kid, I had them taken away from me all at once for doing something wrong! D'oh! Stupid lack of self control... :rolleyes:

2-1B
05-12-2002, 02:26 PM
I remember one Christmas morning when I found a Vader case under the tree. When I opened it, I saw that Santa had added several figures to it. That was a rush, the closest to a "midnight madness" I had as a kid. Later that day when I found all of the opened cardbacks, my mom and dad logically pointed out that Santa must have just left them behind for me. :rolleyes: :D