PDA

View Full Version : Okay, the toys are out! Who is you Favorite?

mark2d2
04-24-2002, 01:13 PM
At long last --- they've hit the streets. The checking account is low, the credit card bills high, so which figure is the one you can't stop playing with?

And lets not bash each other's choices either. I say that because my pick is sure to elicit groans from around the world . . .

But, anyway, here goes . . . My favorite ATOC figure is . . .

C3-P0

Sure, he's a little chunky, but my pieces all fit really snug and tight. All EIGHT pieces. Eight Pieces!? And we usually get all excited about the occasional removable hand . . . Anyway, I love this guy. He's articulated at the waist! Even his storage trunk is pretty dang cool. And if the colors are somewhat off --- as some have reported, then he just becomes a very cool background characters and his bulk then is even less troublesome. I like the color scheme, especially the subtle hints of gold peeking through on the battered panels. Way to Go, Hasbro!

Okay, guys. Which one do you like best?

JetsAndHeels
04-24-2002, 01:21 PM
Well Jango is my favorite character, and I really dig the figure, but for some reason I have taken a liking to Shaak Ti. There is something about her coloring and her stance that I cant help but like. Maybe its because she is a brand new character and species we have yet to see previously. She just looks so dang cool with that lightsaber, and yes, even with the blast effect.
So she would be my 2nd favorite, a very close 2nd.

broctoon
04-24-2002, 01:33 PM
If I had to pick just oneout of the 26 I got (no Dooku), I'd have to go with Anakin Hanger duel. It's just such a great figure, and one I wasn't expecting to like so much.

Runner up has to go with Dexter or Jango. Clone Trooper would have been higher if his pose was better.

El Chuxter
04-24-2002, 01:53 PM
Hmmm. . . . Maybe if the pieces fit on my C-3PO better, or if my Shaak Ti's arms weren't made of bendy-class plastic, they'd rank. :)

My faves:
Kit Fisto: Not sure who or what this dude is, but he's the perfect marriage of Collection 2 detailing and Collection 1 gimmicks.

Yoda: Same as with Kit, except I know who and what he is.

Boba Fett: I know it's another kid figure, but I can't stop playing with it. (No jokes, please.)

Clonetrooper: I wish all the gimmicks were simply added articulation.

Count Dooku (Dark Lord): Once you get him balanced on those squeeze-feature legs, he's pretty wicked.

Anakin (Hangar Duel): It took several tries to get that left arm to stop spinning at a decent-looking point, but he's such a cool figure I can overlook the stupid gimmicks.

GeneralKenobi
04-24-2002, 02:09 PM
Ditto...Kit Fisto just looks really cool.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-24-2002, 02:15 PM
Taun We. What a totally kick-A figure. It's a lot like gumby, but not made from a little green slab of clay. And that clone cylinder, the best accessory ever. It's so cool how it is just empty and that you have to use your imagination to picture a clone embryo in it.

:rolleyes:

OK, seriously. Clonetrooper is the best IMO. I wish it was articulated more, especially at the knees (can't tell because I haven't taken mine out of the bubble). It's such a great looking sculpt, even better looking than the Stormtrooper. The plus about it is not only do you get a rifle but a tripod-supported cannon with launching projectile. We had to get the deluxe snowtrooper for that gem and even it was cumbersome. The little foot stand is another little plus for this figure.

My condolences to those who couldn't find one on 4/23. It's hands down the best looking figure. But I'd trade one for a Count Dooku right now.

Beast
04-24-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
OK, seriously. Clonetrooper is the best IMO. I wish it was articulated more, especially at the knees (can't tell because I haven't taken mine out of the bubble). It's such a great looking sculpt, even better looking than the Stormtrooper. The plus about it is not only do you get a rifle but a tripod-supported cannon with launching projectile. We had to get the deluxe snowtrooper for that gem and even it was cumbersome. The little foot stand is another little plus for this figure.
It's pretty articulated, you should pop it off the card. He has a total of 14 points of articulation. Here are the following points, one of the best articulated figures in the line. Zam is runner-up. :)

Neck, Waist, Arms (2), Elbows (2), Wrists (2), Legs (2), Bending Knees (2), and Swivel Knees (2)!! :eek: :cool:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
04-24-2002, 02:24 PM
Hey, thanks for the 411 Jar Jar. Sound even better than I though. I'll have to get another one to open.

BTW, how well is Zam articulated?

sunblind
04-24-2002, 02:25 PM
Dexter I think is just the most interesting figure. I wonder how he'll be on screen????

Mandalorian Candidat
04-24-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by sunblind
Dexter I think is just the most interesting figure. I wonder how he'll be on screen????

It would be pretty funny if they had the Mel from "Alice" do his voice.

"Hey you dingy, get back to work!"

"Kiss my alien grits, Dexter!"

Funny thing. The Dexter figure is my wife's favorite. I have no clue why though. Maybe she likes guys in wifebeaters with their fat bellies hanging out. :D I guess I'll have to start on a regimen of Coors and pork rinds. :)

Beast
04-24-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
Hey, thanks for the 411 Jar Jar. Sound even better than I though. I'll have to get another one to open. BTW, how well is Zam articulated?
Your welcome, I was amazed at the CloneTrooper and Zam at how well they are articulated. Here is the rundown on Zam. She ends up with a total of 12 points of articulation. :)

Neck, Right Arm, Right Elbow (Magnet), Ball Jointed Left Arm, Swivel Joint at Base of Glove, Waist, Legs (2), Knees (2), Boots (2)!! :eek: :cool:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

sith_killer_99
04-24-2002, 02:31 PM
My personal favorite....Royal Guard!

I never really liked the older POTF2 Guard, this one more than makes up for it!

OK, I know, no flashy gimmicks, just a background character, nothing special, right?

WRONG!

This guy is to scale, he TOWERS over the Coruscant Guard. He is detailed, pants, shirt, waist cape, shoulder cape. He has basic articulation with a little added elbow articulation. He can be put in a couple of different poses. Plus he has that cool Force Pike Lightning accessory.

Good job Hasbro.

BTW, I like Yoda, but he looks kinda...I dunno...twisted and evil?!?!

Has anyone else noticed this?

BTW, cool lightsaber with Yoda!!! FINALLY, we get a Yoda packaged with a lightsaber!!!

Darth Ovori
04-24-2002, 03:05 PM
My vote is also for the Royal Guard...
It's been years I've waited for this remake...
And also cause's it's a proper SW figure without those new pose's or gimmics...

kadamontaga
04-24-2002, 03:15 PM
I'd have to go with Yoda as well. But i'm having great fun trying to find as many poses as I can for the Clone Trooper. I've taken a shine to Nikto as well.

Jargo
04-24-2002, 03:19 PM
Dextyer without a doubt. All the others are too scene specific. Dexter fits in just about any diorama but military ones and he can just about get away with being in those somehow. he's massively more of a figure than any of the other figures ever in terms of bulk and weight and size. I've got him in my Jabba's palace diorama right now giving a gamorrean hell. :)

Royal guard is well funky although the colour is a little garish but at least it's a colour amongst a sea of drab Jedi browns. I have four now and plan on getting more if i can find them at some later date.

geonosian is very cool with his swivel joint wings and silly looking face like a screwed up seahorse or something. I like his wasps butt and the skinny legs. Bought five of them so far. be cool to have them flying above my arena diorama. Can't wait for the next versions and hopefully a Poggle the lesser figure. his staff is a bit bendy but if they fly they won't have the staff in their hands. mine all stand okay after a bit of juggling legs around and the wings make excellent extra support if the have a wonky leg or something.

Super battle droid. he's so freakin' cool out of the packaging! his interchangeable bits are okay though i just trashed all the big bazooka gun arms and the flash things. I have four with only one displaying the damaged chest panel. The articulation in the arms and knees is great though the arms are a bit clunky. The legs are a bit wobbly on a couple of mine but mostly okat all round. They just look so cool stood next to battle droids and destroyer droids. I liberated a few destroyers from my naboo battle scene and they fit in to an arena battle so well with those super battle droids as back up. I thought I'd hate this figure but i love it now. :)

dirtybones
04-24-2002, 03:39 PM
3po. This is the best 3po ever made IMO. I have all the others, but this one takes the cake. I love the fact that his arms and legs dont stick way out from his body like the others do.
Next in line would have to be PLO KOON. When I saw TPM and PLO KOON, I thought that this was going to be one of those guys we would never see do anything other then sit on his alien ***. Just looking at the detail of his boots, I can't wait to see him in action!!
I STILL CAN'T FIND THAT DOOKU PUNK!!!!!

Omega Fett
04-24-2002, 03:47 PM
Mine are Yoda,Zam,Jango and uh Obi Wan

hasbromofo
04-24-2002, 04:26 PM
LUMINARA UNDULI IMO IS FREAKIN AWESOME!!!! I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS ONE THE MOST AND IT TOOK ABOUT 10 STOPS BEFORE I FOUND HER.SHE WAS THE TOUGHEST FOR ME TO FIND AND WAS THE LAST FIG I BOUGHT.BTW , THE PAINT JOB ON THE ONE I OWN IS PERFECT!!!ABSOLUTELY STRIKING FIGURE! GOOD JOB HASBRO!(<YOU SCALPER LOVING MAGGOTS!)

Sith Lord 0498
04-24-2002, 05:06 PM
GEONOSIAN WARRIOR---Love the detailing on this figure, especially the wings!! Sure the staff is a bit bendy and getting it to stand upright is a pain (the wings make for great support), but it's just a great figure.

ZAM WESELL---Honestly, I only bought this b/c it was one of the two hard-to-find figures I managed to grab. Someone else grabbed the ONLY Taun We and Luminara, so I bought Zam out of spite (the Clonetrooper I actually did want). Anyways, this is a real stand-out figure. The removable arm attaches perfectly. You can't even tell it detaches until you pull. The Clawdite face doesn't fit very well and the quick-draw action tends to send the arm flying off, but the articulation and detail make up for everything.

OBI-WAN KENOBI (Coruscant Chase)---Hearing all the initial negative feedback on the magnets, the droid, etc. had me worried, but this is one great figure. The magnets not intrusive, the droid stands fine, and Obi-Wan looks great in my Jedi Starfighter.

PloKoon2385
04-24-2002, 05:44 PM
Well my favorites are:

1. Plo Koon, what an awesome job!
2. Kit Fisto, also a great job
3. Dexter Jettster, looks great!
4. Hangar Duel Anakin, except for the very loose arm, it is cool!
5. Luminara Unduli, AWESOME!
6. Shaak Ti, looks pretty cool and nice pose
7. Taun We, i dunno why
8. Royal Guard, very cool looking
9. Nikto Jedi, cool sculpt
10. Zam, don't like the arm falling off, but it stays on fairly well

Here's a question, or three, How do you get Zam to go into her speeder? How do you get Anakin to sit in his speeder? Will they make a normal Anakin, with no action features or falling arms?

Herby
04-24-2002, 05:51 PM
I'm sorry but you are all wrong. The top figures are...

5.) Genosian - The wings are worth the price alone. If it stood up better on my shelf, it may have been ranked higher!

4.) Royal Guard - Maybe it's just nostalgia talkin' but he's cool, and he has legs!

3.) Luminara - should shut up all those people that say "imagine how detailed they'd be if Macfarlane made them" It is easily on par with them.

2.) Super Battle Droid - Wow. Interchangable arms, torso and a play feature that works really well. To top it off, the play feature is unobtrusive when you display the figure.

And number one...a figure you all seemed to leave off your lists is...

1.) Tusken Raider with Child - How Dare You Forget Her? This figure is amazing! The child fits in the backpack perfectly and the figure still stands up. This is just the perfect figure in my opinion, and since she seemed a bit tough to find, I'd wager others agree.

Sith Vicious
04-24-2002, 06:51 PM
I only have about 15 of them so far, but my favorites are Kit Fisto and the Tusken female. Least favorite is Shaak Ti.

chris
04-24-2002, 07:29 PM
I don't have very many figures yet, but my favorite so far is Saesee Tiin. The detail is nice, and the pose hes in on my desk is awesome. The super battle droid looks really cool, but i don't like the way the arms wobble around. Overall, I'm happy with the figs so far.

sith_killer_99
04-24-2002, 07:55 PM
WOW, lots of new faces here, welcome all!

hasbromofo, please EASE UP ON ALL THE CAPS!;)

Dexter
04-24-2002, 08:04 PM
Odd. I posted this exact thread yesterday, and it was deleted within half an hour. Not that I feel dejected or anything... :cry:

Anyway, I have two favorites, and they seem to be two of the MOST underrated figures on this thread:

1. R2-D2: I loved the F/X R2, but always wished they made a clean one without the sand on it... and after years of waiting THEY HAVE!!! The sculpt is perfect, the scale is perfect, the paint is perfect. The only thing that's not perfect is the articulation, but this is still my favorite R2 ever.

2. Senator Jar Jar Binks: AMAZING!!! I hate Jar Jar, but this figure is just so darn cool! It has some magical hold over me, so it must be a pretty great figure... The stance is totally Jar Jar, and the sculpt is dead-on. And that robe is a heckuva lot cooler than the rags Jar Jar had in the last movie!

sith_killer_99
04-24-2002, 08:35 PM
LOL

With favorites like that it's no wonder your thread was erased.;)

JK, I think there have been a few threads like that. Lots of posts going up, probably too many duplicates, who knows?

Interesting choices BTW. Why R2? Do you have the Power F/X version? They seem very similar.

Jar-Jar is a bit under rated, though that's probably because of the whole EP1 die Jar-Jar die philosophy.:crazed:

hasbromofo
04-24-2002, 10:51 PM
:confused: SITH_KILLER, I DID'NT KNOW THER WERE TYPING RULES. I PERSONALLY DIG CAPS SINCE I CAN'T TYPE FOR SH*T. :D ANYWAY I'M NEW AND I'M A WEIRDO LIKE THE REST OF YOU SO I HAVE A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS. WHAT DOES "LOL" MEAN? AND WHO IS THE BABE ON YOUR AVATAR?;) I CAN'T BELIEVE I AM THE ONLY ONE HERE WHO HAS MENTIONED LUMINARA!

Wolfwood319
04-24-2002, 10:57 PM
Alright, now that I have more figs to choose faves from, here's my top 3:

Anakin Hanger Duel - Good sculpt, decent gimmick, he's wielding 2 lightsabers!

Nikto Jedi- Very basic looking guy in a cool pose, I love it.

Super Battldroid - the first one I got was real wobbly and shobby, the 2 I got today are nice and tight-jointed. Very cool, my new favorite bad guy army builder. Love the interchangeable army and "blasted" chest.

dr_evazan22
04-25-2002, 12:23 AM
I'm gonna have to go w/ Yoda. I think he has got the most attitude! I like the way he can "use the Force" to levitate, he's in a good stance and the metal saber is a nice touch.

I like Jar Jar but wish he were straighter standing; he seems a little too curvy.

I like the Nikto quite a bit also.

2-1B
04-25-2002, 01:13 AM
Well, Dex is my favorite, I like the character design and the sculpt/paint job. Dooku is another favorite, I'm able to get past the leg gimmick. Although I wish his left hand was articulated, because I'd like to see him crossing both sabers.

A figure I've not seen mentioned yet is Captain Typho, he's probably my third favorite of the handful that I bought. I dunno, his simplicity is refreshing in a sea of overposes, mine has a decent paint job and his articulated elbow is nice. Removable helmet is cool, though I don't know how he can see through it. :D His leg stance reminds me of some POTF2 figures, some positioning but not overdone (i.e. Nikto Jedi).

aharry
04-25-2002, 01:37 AM
Dexter is cool. So is the Geonosian and Tuskin Mom. I dig Dooku as well, but i may be biased because of his cool lightsaber.

jad
04-25-2002, 01:41 AM
Hey folks don't forget all the other toys besides the figures :)

The Slave I hands down is my favorite new TOY. And second fav is the Jedi Starfighter, together these two toys are the ultimate star wars toys. In fact i'd go as far as to say there probably my favorite star wars toys ever.

I really think Hasbro has done a great job on this episode II line. There is just so much play value and collectible value. Tons of pack ins that are actualy cool. Neat features that are actually fun even though it's a gimick. I just can't help but have hours of fun playing with them. In my opinion this is the best star wars line ever. I know some won't agree, but my opinion is based on the fact that i've never been so entertained when playing with toys before.

Enjoy folks, more cool stuff is on the way :)

Wolfwood319
04-25-2002, 01:50 AM
I love the Reek, probably my favorite Beast in any Star Wars line. I also like the Starfighter, even though on mine the one wing doesn't stay on quite right.:rolleyes: Slave 1 is also amazing. I like all the vehicles and accessories this time around.

Darth Cruel
04-25-2002, 01:50 AM
After dogging the figures when I got a handful of them early...I checked out all of the ones I didn't get to see a month ago. I may just have to change my mind about them.

I have no favorites as of yet. But the things I like are:

1) Electronic R2-D2 in a 3 3/4" version...it is about d***** time!

2) A lightsaber for Yoda...it is about d***** time.

3) Much improved accessories in a lot of the cases...it is again about d***** time.

4) More useable (while being less intrusive) gimmicks like the force attraction lightsabers. Very cool.

5) The monster selection...'nuff said!

6)Static poses are SLIGHTLY improved and make the lack of articulation in some of the figures SLIGHTLY more bearable.

7) The packaging is better. I like the centered blisters and the new color is starting to grow on me.

mark2d2
04-25-2002, 02:56 AM
People keep bringing up how similar the ATOC Electronic Artoo is to the old FX one. This is very true --- to a point. The ATOC version is articulated at the ankles. And is a "Clean" version --- no sandy wash on this guy. The paint also has been given a great POTJ update and is far more movie accurate. The light is about 10 times more powerful AND it blinks on and off very much like it does in the movies. (Yes, JEDIPARTNR, I know its the wrong eye, but it's still very cool . . . ) Frankly, I wasn't that excited about this one at all --- but as soon I saw it on the pegs at Toys R Us last night, I was smitten. This is one sharp looking figure. Seriously, if you haven't seen this one in person, you really out to check it out.

Tycho
04-25-2002, 03:04 AM
I gotta agree with the DEXTER JETTSTER camp! This is a great figure!

Zam Wessel is another awesome figure! Gun in the holster with the ability to make her shapeshift with the help of a mask! Too cool Hasbro! Nice thinking on that one - and nice articulation. As to getting her in the speeder (yes use the blue Saga Carded figure of Zam) You have to bend the knees, and turn her at the hips so she's turning a little like she's exercising her obliques. Then put her feet on the foot pedals so she looks like she's flying the speeder. It helps to take the canopy completley off while you position her. Then you can get her hands on the steering controls and push them into place. Buy another Zam figure as this could take 15 minutes and you don't want to get her in and out all the time... Just leave one IN! Put the gun back in her holster last. It tends to fall out and is so small, a lot of people are going to lose it. Anyway, finally, Zam looks like she's lying down when she's flying the craft (on the toy). I think she sits more upright in the actual movie. So that I'm not happy with, but display the craft diving for speed, and you can view her in the cockpit in such a way and angle that she looks more normal, flying it. Still, I'm very happy with this figure (and it's my 2nd favorite AOTC vehicle!)

C-3PO is also one of my favorites. I thought he might be. What's funny is Threepio is far away from a favorite character of mine. I always found him annoying through the whole saga at times. But ever since I saw pictures, I knew this figure would not disappoint. I was right! Make sure you open Threepio!

Jango Fett Kamino is pretty darn cool. I think it's the removeable helmet feature, as the rest, is quite like the Fett 300, save for the grappling hook. 2 guns that fit in holsters are always a plus.

Kit Fisto is also a good sculpt.

Yoda's better than I thought he'd be. The action gimmicks and accessories are cool. I still think the sculpt isn't all that great. And when do we get a Yoda with 2 legs? The last one was 1980!

Geonosian Warrior is nicely done! The Watto figure was one of the best of Episode 1's. The Geonosian can top Watto on articulation, though it's a challenge to say which has the best sculpt, and Watto's paintwork easily wins that category for the Toydarian.

OK - R2D2 is just plain fun! I can't walk past it and not push the button. At my Midnight Madness, R2 was "going off" more than cell phones!

Plo Koon and SaeSee were nice! This is the way to do action stance Jedi! I'm glad we have the POTJ versions though. Something needs to be done like that for Eeth Koth, though his figure we have now from last year is just great, too. Still, he can't stand like that in the High Council! Anyway, I'm not too excited about our returning Jedi because they're not new characters, but I like their characters, so I'm happy as Plo and SaeSee are 2 of my favorite Jedi. These are both better than the upcoming Ki-Adi Mundi figure (another Jedi I like a lot - just not a figure I'm too impressed with. It's no better or worse than the first one - which was cool, mind you. But articulation is always fun. So I'll wait and call that one when Ki's out).

Obi-Wan is my favorite AOTC hero right now, and I'm pretty happy with the figure. It's on the smaller size I've noticed. Probably any larger, and the magnet couldn't hold him on the droid (when you pretend the droid is flying). Anyway customizers - try putting a young Snobi-Wan head on the AOTC body and I think you'll be happy with the young Padawan you'll get (next to Qui-Gon) to make Obi-Wan from the Jude Watson "Jedi Apprentice" book series. Haven't done this yet, but I'll buy another E2 Obi-Wan later today and try it. (Jake Lloyd Anakin figures are too young and short for the 14-15 yr old Obi-Wan in these young adult novels).

Figures I'm surprised people like are: the Super Droid. I just feel like it's junk. Luminara is a statue, but I agree - a work of art, too! I just don't like the statue part. I want a resculpt of her "normal" for some scenes I want to make with her. JarJar's a one-pose wonder. Same with Shaak-Ti (plus I'm just not interested in her design).

Hanger Anakin is in a category by himself. I like this figure, but posing him is a bit inconveniently hampered by the limits his action features let you do with his arms (such as driving the speeder - not possible in the detailed sense, and double-gripping the lightsaber - not possible either). Yes the Tatooine one will be useful in the Arena too, and he's more like the E1 Jedi Duel figures, in terms of high poseability (as seen in pictures only - don't have this figure obviously, as I think it's late Fall, or Winter 2002). But a straight up, non-action Anakin is called for. He doesn't have seens with Padme where he looks like he's about to murder someone! So I really like Anakin, I just think his use is limited, though I did buy and plan on using 11 of him in this incarnation.

Padme is another one that's almost useless. I need her before her shirt gets slashed, and I have to use her chain to hold her arm down (wrapped around her foot and held there when she's inserted on an action figure stand) to get her to keep her arm down for some scenes. I think I'll use 3 of this figure, but want about 5 more figures of her in this outfit for scenes I've planned, but she cannot be in that one-scene pose!

The Royal Guard is OK. I was disappointed it wasn't something closer to Kir Kanos. They were doing so good with the sculpt of the Coruscant Guard under the robes...but well????

Dooku's OK too. Just not that impressive. I have him posed fighting Yoda with the Force lightning in one hand, his signature lightsaber in the other (left hand, as only the right hand could possibly be faked to look like he's zapping - bet you they resculpt a lightning strike Dooku by Winter time!)

Finally, I have 9 Clone Troopers with the red stripes, but I just haven't gotten around to opening them. It looks cool - and I understand they are the pilots? Well no other comments on them at this time. I still have more figures to get around to opening!

I'm leaving to go do that now!

Darth Sidious
04-25-2002, 08:47 AM
Although I have not yet gotten this figure, I have seen many pictures of it and I know a lot about it: The super battle droid. I have always been a fan of battle droids, and this one is even better with his missile and chest-blast thingy. It seems like a formidable enemy, and might be as cool as the Droideka. I am going to Wal Mart today, but with my luck, they probably wont have any left...

jedi master sal
04-25-2002, 10:57 AM
Okay, I don't have a favorite one single figure YET. Here are some of my favs and why as well as downer figs IMO.

Favs

Dexter: all around good sculpt, he's hugs and also reminds me of MEL from the Alice show (unfortunately the actor who played MEL is dead (Vic Tayback) so he couldn't have voiced this character as some have suggested or wanted)

Clone Trooper (Flourescent Red): Again great sculpt, MUCH better articulation (I will be customizing this guy for sure) Making white and yellow varieties from this mold.

Royal Guard. Gotta love the smell of the fig, sculpt is good but specifically the elbow articulation is awsome (can have him in battle stance or "at attention" stance.

Nikto: just great to see him back and as a Jedi no less (only complaint is that the legs are joined)

Luminara: FANTASTIC sculpt, (okay so the articulation isn't all that great but still a great pose. (SHE was VERY difficult to find)

Super Battle Droid: Loved the cool features and metallic paint

which brings me to the
Geonosioan warrior: great sculpt and I absolutely love the metallic paint on this guy. He gleams in the right light.

Kit Fisto: Sculpt is cool and he looks like a bad mamba jamba.

Afghanistan woman.....I mean Female Tusken: Great sculpt and at least we now kow that there are female TR's I thought both the M/F's dressed the same.

Taun We: good sculpt and a great NEW alien fig. Similar to Yarael Poof (jedi council) and the pod race pilot (can't think of his name at the moment) but Taun We is definitely of a different race. (BTW what do you call an animal native to Hoth's urine..... Taun We) okay I couldn't help myself.

Marginally liked the follwing:
Obi-Wan Coruscant: Nice pack-in accessory
Shaak Ti: Nice looking sculpt just don't like the face paint (look to fake)
R2D2: Electronic sounds make this one a must have.
C-3po: Clunky looking parts but still nice effort
Zam Wessell: Okay so we already have a resculpt but this was show more detail and it seems to have better articulation
JarJar Senator: Nice detail but it is still JJB.
Yoda: nice accessories but didn't like his face detail. (too ****$ed off)

Bland figs:
Ani Outland
Padme Arena (okay so I like the ripped shirt but the shoulder articulation made me not like this figure)
Capt. Typhoid (Typho, sorry again)
Boba Fett: another kid (Although look for him to grow up fast (mentally) in the movie
Battle Droid: what's with the Non-articulated knees?!?!
Plo Koon: EPI was better IMO (Head detail) body of EPII is better, hmm maybe a custom in the works here.
Jango Kamino: Resculpt....Yawn!
Saesee Tiin: Same as Plo Koon
Ani Hangar: This one does have potential, have to see the movie for final decision.

Didn't get dooku yet.

Deluxe Jango SUCKS!!!!! Save your money.

El Chuxter
04-25-2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by jedi master sal
Deluxe Jango SUCKS!!!!! Save your money.

You think so? I thought all the deluxe figures were pretty cool, except Obi-Wan--he's just cheapy. Mace is the best by far, though I liked Jango too. Definitely a statue with a too-big backpack, but nice looking.

Jargo
04-25-2002, 12:47 PM
I'm adding the Nikto figure to my list. Only for the head and the hands though. The figure is definately a one pose wonder and useless for anything other than looking ready to rumble. take his robe off and he has a fantastic fully sculpted haed that rotates the way it should do - all the way round. The hands while posed in a two handed saber holding way are greatly detailed and it's these that i will be popping off to customise me a great Nikto figure that isn't a Jedi. Or should I say when i buy a second one at some point that doesn't have the weird upturned left foot that stops him from standing. But the head is just the best thing since - well, the last best thing.

vehicles are cool but I love the Coruscant hotrod with the crash damage. the rubber will perish idf it's overused so I'm not playing with that but the speeder itself is very cool and the rubber engines is a nice innovation. The blast off panels actually stay in place when not blasted off so that's even better. It's a great size and even though i haven't yet found a figure that will sit in it, it does look pretty cool sat outside my cantina.

Conversely, Zam's speeder is a little disappointing. Mine has a bent tail spike that defies attempts at correction. It's pointing upwards now and spoils the whole shape. The orange paint on the front forks is tacky on mine due to the rubber it's painted on. The other colours are dry asa bone but the orange is wet and sticky and will attract all the dust and get ruined. But i like how you can 'damag' each fork seperately. that's nice. Pity the blast off panels don't quite fit right though and show the engines underneath. it spoils the lines of the speeder IMO. The cockpit is nicely detailed although it should be a two seater and there's only the one seat. I can live with that though having lived with the AT-ST being a single seater all these years. But over all the speeders are very nice with just a couple of quibbles on Zam's.

I don't know what's wrong with me this week I see to be complimenting Hasbro more than criticising. I must be ill :)

Mandalorian Candidat
04-25-2002, 12:52 PM
I can't wait to find another Zam. It's just a great looking figure, plus the holster, plus the face mask, plus the larger amount of articulation. I want to get a Zam speeder too since it looks really nice and has the slick crash and bash feature. Kudos on this figure Hasbro. Nice job.

JediIan
04-25-2002, 03:17 PM
My favorite figure is by far the Nikto Jedi, i think its great that they have just made a generic little Jedi figure, its completely cool, and the fact that it is a nikto and not a new species sweetens the deal, I also like Kit Fisto, something about him just screams cool, although i dont know why he is bearing his teeth. and if i may ask for some advice... when the basic Mace arrive should i get that one or the deluxe, is the deluxe any good? i HATE that sculpt with the mouth wide open, its ridiculous. please give me a heads up thanks.

Wonderboy
04-25-2002, 04:58 PM
LUMINARA...she has to be the COOLEST action figure have EVER seen...simply wicked.

Clone Trooper would be a close second. I don't know what all this fuss is over the paint job being crappy...both of mine look awesome!

RooJay
04-25-2002, 07:02 PM
I think my favorite is Kit Fisto. Great Pose, unobtrusive action feature, and just a really cool looking character (gotta love those funky dreds!). I'd like to say that Luminara has Kit beat (she's the figure I was hoping for the most!), but I can't seem to find her. I'm also REALLY partial to Dexter, Tusken Raider Female (great sculpt and an extra figure as an accessory!), Hangar Duel Anakin, Yoda (ever since I was a kid I've wanted a Yoda figure with a lightsaber!), and Deluxe Mace Windu (am I wrong, or does he have the coolest metal lightsaber hilt?)! I'm also sure that Count Dooku is a winner too, but I can't locate him either!:cry:

jedibear
04-26-2002, 03:31 AM
....but it's been a busy week ( & not just because of SW shoppin':))....

The line so far....is looking pretty good! There aren't any figures that I am really disappointed in...once again, the real things look way better than the pics we saw for months beforehand.

The detailing/sculpting is on par with the best of POTJ & the playability hasn't hampered them too much. I've been careful to go through the figures on the pegs, paying close attention to paint detailing (which I've noticed has been pretty consistant in being well-done) so as not to repeat the trouble I had with Eeth Koth (my only pre-broken/poorly detailed SW figure) earlier in the year.
I know I'm probably in the minority on this one issue...the action sculpt/limited posability one....but as I've mentioned in the past here, the action poses that result in basicallly small statues doesn't bother me so long as the sculpt and detailing on the character is superb, and on some of these figures, it's top-notch.

While it's tough to pick one favorite, I'll just comment on the ones that have jumped out at me so far....

Kit Fisto...it's always been amusing to me how some of the best looking figures, the ones with interestiing character designs and great executions can end up becoming the biggest peg-warmers. Good ole' Jek Porkins comes to mind, along with Duros & others. I see Kit here joining those ranks.....some figures have peg-warmer written all over them (Capt. Typho, anyone?) and even though Kit looks really cool, he'll be sitting everywhere come June. It's too bad...I think he's one of the best looking jedi figures... I can't wait to see this guy in action!

Luminara Unduli.....I'm already partial to this character after her warm introduction in "The Approaching Storm" & while this figure is one of those action pose/statues I spoke of earlier, the character design and the execution of the figure more than overcome this flaw....had to comb through several though before finding one that had perfect detailing...easy to understand considering how intricate some of the designs are. She's beautiful!

Dexter Jettster......great character design! I want to read the tales of this guy's exploits with Obi-Wan!! (Are you listening, Dark Horse?). Great detailing, sculpt, everything!. The only odd thing is that the figure appears to have some kind of pipe or something in hisupper left hand in the photographs on the card, but alas, no accessory like that with the figure...maybe it was pulled at the last moment for being an inappropriate thing to include with a toy...sometimes the world is getting a little too PC....still, this figure makes me excited to see this big bruiser on the big screen!

Clone Trooper....the AOTC one. I like this version better than the preview one. Great cannon accessory....I don't quite get the dirt clod stand thing....I've tried to do the poses pictured on the backwith it, but they don't quite look the same as they do on the package. Oh well...it's still a cool figure.

Nikto Jedi.....he's such a great contrast to all those brown robes the other jedi wear....I also like the idea of one of the classic characters designs turning up again with a different twist. He just looks cool posed among the othe jedi figures.

Well, that's enough for now...I chat more when I have some others opened....

bigbarada
04-26-2002, 03:39 AM
Hangar Duel Anakin- cool figure with multiple action features. When I heard about a knob on his back to make his arm twist, I immediately had an impression of a giant doorknob sticking out of him like the LOTR Lurtz figure. Nice to see it is only a tiny wheel that is easily concealed.

Dexter Jettster- I'm always a sucker for the big ugly aliens.

humsup
04-26-2002, 04:26 AM
Haven't been buying any of the current release figures but done so over lunch time today. Got myself a NIKTO JEDI KNIGHT and it was love at first sight. Gotta have him. So, he's my favourite fig to date.
Apart from NIKTO, I find Kit Fristo to be quite good too :)

sith_killer_99
04-26-2002, 06:09 AM
hasbromofo, typing in all caps is the online equivalent to SHOUTING!

Plus it is hard on the eyes.;)

If you need to type in 1 format, it's better to use lower case.

Don't worry, it's a common mistake for folks who are new to the forums. I did the same thing when I first started out.

LOL means laughing out loud, as in I literally laughed out loud when I read that, etc.

The babe in my avatar is the lovely actress, Miss Michonne Bourriague, also known as Aurra Sing.;)

I hope this helps, and welcome to the forums.;)

Croaker
04-26-2002, 10:57 AM
I'll have to go with :

Yoda - nice sculpt and a lightsabre!
Nikto Jedi - now if only he could stand up (and hand non-joined legs)
C-3po - looks pretty good with all of his pieces on.

jedibear
04-27-2002, 12:30 AM
Alright...I've opened a few more....

Zam Wessel.....this version is WAY better than the sneak one! Great articulation, the coloring's not so garish, I like the veil away from the face, the working holster, the removable arm (those magnets work really well). I've got her on a figure stand down on one knee...she looks great!

Tan We....Better looking than I expected....thank goodness for that sculpted skirt holding her up though.

Jango Fett (Kamino Escape)....the only thing I like about this version is the removable helmet...I think the preview one's a little better, detailing-wise.

And now, for the first disappointment (for me anyway)....

She looks great on the card, but...the "Arena Escape" Padme is really awful! Won't stand, goofy pose, play feature that doesn't work too well and that strange, hard-plastic body. Granted, this figure depicts a major action scene from the film, but this one just doesn't quite work for me. I hope the pilot version is better.

The new "action" versions of Plo & Saesee are good...

I still don't particularly care for the little "blast" attachments, but they are easy to ignore....

I still like most of the entries in this line so far....considering how many figures it is, to have a few duds is to be expected....

Darth Evil
04-27-2002, 07:31 AM
I've only got two, out of the three I've seen. So, Kamino Jango is my favourite. The removable helmet is cool and the pose isn't as crazy as the preview version's.

Jarrell
04-27-2002, 09:11 AM
My favorite of the 23 I have found so far...... ( I am missing Yoda, Taun We , Luminara , and Royal Guard )

1st fav. - Shaak Ti - Not exactly sure what drew me to this fig but it rocks!

2nd fav.- Count Dooku - 2 sabers for the price on one ; )

3rd fav. - Ani (duel) - once again the 2 saber deal , cant wait to see him in action w/ them both on the big screen !!

Seeing plenty of Count Dookus in Tampa, Fl. and Ani duel, but have yet to find my missing four! I scored my 23 on the first night from Walmart, have been hunting since for the remainder.

I dont want to resort to buying them from the web, its the search and destroy missions that makes it worthwhile once you score! Even though I could probably afford that Tie Bomber with the fuel I have burnt :(

Eternal Padawan
04-27-2002, 10:32 AM
I can tell you which figures AREN'T my faves. Padme and Outlander Ani. Both are candidates for a TOP TEN list of worst figures of all time. The chick jedi are one pose wonders and so is that Nikto jedi. he doesn't even deserve a name. Regular battle droids....NOOOOOOOO! I'll grab tons of these when they go on clearance in a few months.

Jango and Boba land right in the middle with their mediocrity. Tusken Female is in there too. Boring. (Although I thing the kid breaks a record for smallest Star Wars action figure...)
Why must all the Clone Troopers be red? I could use a few plain one that are articulated like the red one for him to lead. Right now I've got to use all the Preview ones.

Typho has a nice neutral pose and his blaster looks good hangin on his belt.
Dexter just looks like he'll be a fun character in the movie.
Geonosians are nicely detailed.(the only figure I bought more than one of so far)
Hangar Ani is pretty cool all around ( I opened him first)
Zam has nice articulation
The male jedis (Plo, Saesee, Kit, etc) are lookin' good.
Super battle Droids ROCK. I am buying all of these two at a time when K-mart has their sale next week. When you say trashed, Jargo, d'you mean you tossed them with the packaging? or just threw them in a box under the bed.

I would also like to say I am pleasantly delighted with Deluxe Mace. he looks good in my Jedi circle even with that gaping hole in his sleeve. The rest of the Deluxe's, however, bite. With their big gaudy magnetic knobs on their feet and unremoveable lightsabers, these seriously eat into playability.

Jayspawn
04-27-2002, 10:55 AM
My favorite have to be Obi-Wan. I really love his lightsaber and I love how either hand can hold it. Anakin (Hanger Duel) is a close second for me too.

THen of course, there's my Natalie...

Sith Worm
04-27-2002, 11:07 AM
Well first off the Anakin and Zam with the spoiler features are the best! I tried all year not too read the spoilers and when I opened these two the arms fell off at first I thought what a piece of crap then I read the back and was very angry oh well you all probably have already talked about this!

My real favorite figs have to be the Jedi the best two being Shaak Ti and Luminara Unduli.

Good job Hasbro you still have alittle tweeking to do, but keep it rolling...

jedibear
04-28-2002, 12:16 AM
Alright....I'm slowly getting to opening a few more here....

The Royal Guard.....is f***ing fantastic! Totally blows away the salt-shaker versioin the POTF2 collection. I really like the way the sculpted robes part to show the imperail-styled uniform underneath. The robes really look dynamic too (actually, all the robes figures are looking great this time around...no static-looking drapery like the first Plo & Tinn)

I finally opened the first Obi-Wan....I know most folks are complaining about how tiny he is, but put him next to the hanger Ani and he looks to scale which I really like....

Speaking of the hanger Anakin....this is one of those rare moments where the "action" feature doesn't overwhelm the figure...the little knob on the back is pretty unobtrusive & works pretty well (at least on the one I got) & the magnet works well on the arm too. I also like the slightly ****ed off look on the face too. Good job, Hasbro!

Okay...I commented on her before, but....she's sitting on my moniter & I've got to say it again....Luminara is stunning! Those sweeping intricately designed robes & that great action stance....she just looks fantastic! I think a figure is really successful if you can't resist picking it up and studying it once and awhile & she definately qualifies...I can't wait to see her in action!

Still waiting to find a Yoda....

DeadEye
04-28-2002, 09:13 AM
I found a Yoda. He's awesome.

I really like HD Ani and of course Jango Kamino.

Now if I only had a Dooku...:rolleyes:

Ken-Wan Obi-Obi
04-28-2002, 10:15 AM
Luminara Unduli is AWESOME! Incredible detail - even under the skirt. (Yes, I peeked.)

I think all of the Jedi are awesome! I can't wait for more...

Jaina Solo
04-28-2002, 02:45 PM
I love my R2-D2. I can't stop pushing the buttons, either- do it in the store, too. It's just great.

I'm kind of annoyed with Arena Padme, but the face sculpt is great.

Really like Boba Fett for some reason. Could have more leg articulation, though.

Have heard good things about Hanger Duel Anakin and the Royal Guard, though I haven't found either of them. How's Dooku? Anybody opened one?

Tycho
04-28-2002, 03:51 PM
He's pretty cool Jaina.

But sometimes his top doesn't sit tightly on his waist. He's supposed to be able to turn and "slash" when you squeeze his legs. This works pretty well. But I have 2 Dooku's open, and like I said, one doesn't sit tightly.

His cape is really loose, but if you're conscious about not knocking it off when you use his action feature, it stays on pretty good - though it still feels like it's going to drop off at any minute.

His right wrist turns (the slashing arm) so you can pose his lightsaber however you want it. The blade on Dooku's saber is not removeable and it's not magnetic. He can't use "the Force." LOL

His face is sort of a neutral expression, sort of sad and contemplating. I'd like an angry Dooku sculpt at some point.

Anyway, he's really tall. It looks like Jango is HIS son when the OLDER Fett is standing next to him.

Well, all in all - I'm pretty satisfied with this figure. I have to TRY to like it more though. It might just be Dooku. "Darth Tyranus" isn't all that scary, and if he was Qui-Gon's former master, he can't be all that mean. He has that same sort of detached look that Qui-Gon had a lot of the time, too. Only difference was that when Qui-Gon had scenes with Anakin, his smile and sense of humor came out. Dooku might go 1.5 movies in the new saga, but unless Christopher Lee is incredible, I think he might be forgettable - either that, or about on par with however interesting you all thought Grand Moff Tarkin was...

RooJay
04-29-2002, 06:00 AM
Speaking of Tarkin, anyone else planning on customizing a Hammer Films Dracula/ Van Helsing 2-pack with their Dooku and Tarkin figures?! Now that'd be WICKED cool!

Darth Nihilus
04-29-2002, 02:31 PM
The only figure I've actually bought at the moment is HD Anakin. I'm a sucker for twin lightsaber wielding character. I really like the Count Dooku figure as it is a great likeness of Christopher Lee. Clone Trooper looks good as does Yoda and I really, really want a Luminara, her and the Royal Guard are the only figs I haven't seen at my local stores.

subMERGE
04-29-2002, 07:04 PM
Hands down!, my favorite is Arena Padme. I've heard negative comments about this figure and I'm trying to ignore them. I like the sculpt and the face resembles Natalie Portman very well. I bought many figures on the 23rd, but this was the one I was most looking for, and it's sold out everywhere around here. BTW- What articulation does Lumimara have?

Dexter
04-29-2002, 08:29 PM
Luminara is articulated at the hip, arms, and head. However, due to the cloak and her headdress, the waist and head articulation is limited. And because of the sculpting of her arms, she can really only stand in one pose.

So really, Luminara is an AWESOME-looking statue with 4 points of articulation.

Oh well... I still like her.

Beast
04-29-2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Dexter
Luminara is articulated at the hip, arms, and head. However, due to the cloak and her headdress, the waist and head articulation is limited. And because of the sculpting of her arms, she can really only stand in one pose.
So really, Luminara is an AWESOME-looking statue with 4 points of articulation.
Oh well... I still like her.
She has a little more articulation then that. She has 6 points of articulation. Head, arms (2), the bottoms of her arm bracers (2), and waist. But like you said her headdress and her cloak limit the movement on the head and waist ones. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks