PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars collectors made fun of on FOX News!

Grif
04-24-2002, 02:38 PM
Last night I was watching the FOX News Report and there was a segmant about Star Wars collectors. That Jabronee Shepard Smith poked fun of us collectors saying:
"Last night at midnight over a hundred people lined up outside of Toys R' Us's and other stores to WASTE their hard-earned money on George Lucas and the new Star Wars toy line..."
That made me mad!:mad:
Any thoughts on this?

Mike Troxell
04-24-2002, 02:42 PM
I think it's not a big deal. I don't take myself too seriously...

LTBasker
04-24-2002, 02:45 PM
They're just jealous cause we went out and didn't stay home to watch them so they didn't get ratings from us.

bobafett07728
04-24-2002, 02:46 PM
I was at Midnight Madness, I enjoyed it, and I'll do it again. . .but lets face it. . .its far from "news." He's just a WASTE of a newscaster who had to stoop to making fun of people in an attempt to cover up the fact he didn't have a real news story. As long as we enjoy ourselves, who really cares what everyone else thinks. . .and he couldn't find a better entertainment name than Shepard Smith? . .PLEASE!!!!!

Beast
04-24-2002, 02:53 PM
Ehh, let him say what he wants. I am sure since he is associated with Fox, some higher up in the Fox organization will wack him upside the head for badmouthing the fans of one of 20th Century Fox's biggest money making property. Besides, it's nowheres near as bad as what some of the Wal-Mart associates said about fans at midnight madness, according to that thread in the Saga Forums. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

icatch9
04-24-2002, 03:04 PM
Yea, I agree with Jar Jar. He'll get what's comeing to him for bad mouthing GL.

Normal people just don't understand. So gerneraly people mock what they don't understand. It no different then when people line up for concert tickets, or playoff tickets, or anything. If you don't care for it and don't understand it your are going to poke fun at it. It just seems to be human nature. How many of you sat in amazement at all those kids lined up to get the last Harry Potter book. I know I did. See same thing.

JEDIpartner
04-24-2002, 03:39 PM
Whatever with that goober on the news. He was probably one of those "popular", but sad individuals back in school... hiding his misery by tormenting others.

Yeah... I got a couple snickers here at work. Then again... these people are generally unhappy every day of their lives and here's me with a smile on my face practically everyday. Too bad for them that they lost their "child within" along the way. I can live with their comments and remarks just knowing that I am happier than they will ever be.

Brave Sir Robin
04-24-2002, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't collect toys if I got mad when people made fun of me.
I'm a collector, I collect, and if you don't like it you can kiss my sweet @$$! That's my philosophy.

JetsAndHeels
04-24-2002, 03:54 PM
Shepard Smith is a panzy. Ive never liked him. They always sent him out to the field to cover the bad news. He can say what he wants, but it will never change what we do as far as our hobby and our love for SW.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-24-2002, 04:38 PM
That hosebag SS is just jealous because someone threw sand in his face and grabbed his Count Dooku.

QLD
04-24-2002, 06:29 PM
I'm not worried. Heck, I made fun of people at MM, and I was there buying figures as well. I just consider it as "comes with the territory".

bigbarada
04-24-2002, 08:14 PM
My local TV station had their weatherman doing a special report from Midnight Madness, which initially made me mad because that specific TRU told me they weren't doing a midnight madness.:mad: Once that initial blow wore off, I saw the guy next to the Star Wars display asking why people were so obsessed with getting new toys as he carried around a Slave 1 and grabbed figures from the shelf. He admitted that he was a huge Star Wars fan and a collector. After that they switched back to the news room and the other weatherman stated, "Do not ever throw your Star Wars toys away! EVER!" I guess he still hasn't forgiven his mom.:D

Now I realize his real motivation for doing the news story: what better way to get to the front of the MM line than to tell the manager that you work for such and such TV station and want to do a story on the event? Brilliant!:D

DeadEye
04-24-2002, 08:22 PM
The Wal-Mart where I live was completely sold out of all AOTC figures by the end of MM! :eek:

sith_killer_99
04-24-2002, 08:26 PM
Well, SS is entitled to his opinion.

However, looking at it from a news worthy perspective:

Mass spending leads to increased Corporate revenue. Which in turn strengthens the economy, which in turn leads to more jobs, etc. etc. etc.

So in a very REAL way, we the folks who are WASTING our money are doing more to help strengthen our economy in the, post 9/11 bear market, then SS EVER could!

WHAT?

Dryanta
04-24-2002, 08:37 PM
great point.Who cares what some guy who's only hobby is looking at himself in the mirror and trying to sound important.I hope some one higher up in fox does cuff him for it.

SWAFMAN
04-24-2002, 09:07 PM
the ironic thing is, that even as Smith was trashing SW, Lucas, and collectors, he was still talking about the movie on a national broadcast and effectively pimping the flick for G-Lu.

JediTricks
04-25-2002, 06:16 PM
You guys misunderstand, he was just reminding us of how quickly the prices went down on Episode I products after their initial release. :D (ok, maybe not)

LTBasker
04-26-2002, 12:22 AM
FOX News had some very cool coverage of Episode II hype in Tulsa after ESB played, they interviewed people at a comic shop that hosts a Trek Expo convention each year in June.

JetsAndHeels
04-26-2002, 08:14 AM
We had a report on our news here in NC after ESB last night as well. It showed the store manager from TRU in Raleigh. Of course he didnt know jack about it, saying stuff like "if you have a red SWORD it means you are bad."
Come on!!
Get someone on there who knows about SW!! Quit talking to the average Joe who just knows the minimum.

LTBasker
04-26-2002, 12:32 PM
Yeesh, they interviewed a kid about 4-5 years old and he sounded more intelligent about SW than that. :D :crazed:

JetsAndHeels
04-26-2002, 12:33 PM
I imagine he was more intelligent, LtBasker.