PDA

View Full Version : Gimmicks=Kid$

InsaneJediGirl
04-25-2002, 10:05 AM
I remember reading a post when I first joined up here at SSG about how kids would not like the new gimmicks "installed" into the AOTC line.Well,that is wrong.Having two brothers(11 and 13)
they easily fell for the gimmicks,and now,every afternoon I hear:

"Look!Look!..See you turn this wheel(HD Anakin) and the arm moves!"

or :rolleyes:

"See?Jango Fett's little missle launcher?Isnt it great?"

However,I know this wont last..by June,they will go back to pokemon and whatever the little fad is.The point of the thread is
to show,Hasbro isnt as dumb as we think they are.I'm sure there are other kids out there who have done the same thing,while of course,Hasbro is rolling around in money(at least for the first wave).

((PS-Didnt know which forum to put this in!:confused: ))

JEDIpartner
04-25-2002, 10:13 AM
I like SOME of the gimmicks... I know! I know! I'm a total kid at heart!

JetsAndHeels
04-25-2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by InsaneJediGirl

"Look!Look!..See you turn this wheel(HD Anakin) and the arm moves!"

Thats funny, I say the same stuff when I am playing with my toys....and I am 24 years old.
Just a big kid I guess.

InsaneJediGirl
04-25-2002, 10:17 AM
I'm not saying the gimmicks arent all bad(I like the missle launcher).I was simply bringing up a point that was talked
about in eariler threads.;)

CrossWizard
04-25-2002, 10:21 AM
I know exactly what you mean, last night my uncle took my 12 year old cousin to Toys R Us after he saw my AOTC figures and got somewhat excited, they came back half an hour later with C3P0, R2D2, Jango, the Super Battle Droid and Deluxe Mace, and he was prancing all over the place doing sounds and shooting rockets and projectiles everywhere. Kids will love the figures and have a hell of a time with the gimmicks, but unlike most of us not all of them are Star Wars fans, so a few weeks or maybe a month after seeing the movie their excitement might slowly fade away.

Forhekset
04-25-2002, 10:26 AM
I like stuff like R2's light and sounds (though I'm not sure that counts as a "gimmick). I have no use for a grappling hook or missile launcher on my Jango, though...or a big blob of neon-coloured "force energy" sticking out from any of my Jedi's hands. But for the most part the gimmicks don't seem to detract from the figures much. At least with the force energy and muzzle flash accessories you can just leave them off if you don't like them.

I'm sure kids probably like all of the goofy features.

Uncle Owen
04-25-2002, 10:49 AM
One gimmick I LOVE is the METAL Handle Lightsabers.....Excellent whether they work or not...It is Very cool to have Lightsaber hilts made of metal and in scale:D

Owen Out!!

pthfnder89
04-25-2002, 11:10 AM
Yeah, I was never a big proponent of the gimmicks, but they didn't really bother me for the most part. The only ones I was worried about were ones that detracted from the figure. And after buying most of them I'm glad to find out there are only one or two that really affect the figure in a bad way.

Some I like, some I don't (I LOOOOOVE Jangos grappling rope, but I never use his firing missile) but I don't really hate any of them so far.

Even Zams arm stays on really well, so I can pretend it's not magnetized.:)

Yu_
04-25-2002, 01:59 PM
Ahhh…. the gimmicks.. well in reality Hasbro were falling well behind other good toy companies with this, ok so the little bits of plastic doesn’t make the guns look like there shooting, but hey they are trying :)

The thing is people are saying that kids will get board with it in a week or two, because they aren’t really star wars fans, well when I was that age I got board with the old figures as well, the thing is with the new movies it’s going to mean in a few years time these disinterested “kids” are going to get back into it the same way most of us (I would assume) did….

God help them when they go out looking for the rare figure they need to finish there set, it was hard enough to keep track of Han and his Carbonight block, much less Jango and his two guns, grappling hook, launching missile, standard missile and helmet… oh the humanity…. It reminds me of the terrible days trying to find that horrible little gun Endor P/L was supposed to have hidden under her poncho…

Some of the gimmicks are cool, some suck… (ever tried to rap the chain around Padme’s neck and arms like it shows on the back of the box? It just ain’t gunna happen…) but the great thing is we get new Star Wars toys, and that’s the important thing.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-25-2002, 02:08 PM
I like the gimmicks. It really puts this line into a different class than the other lines. What I really don't like are all the one-pose wonder Jedi we're getting. I wish that Hasbro had made cloth robes for some of these, like Luminara, Nikto, and Jar Jar so they weren't just eye candy.

Does anyone else like the included lightsaber in Ani's arm besides me? I know it looks kind of goofy, but I think it's a neat throwback to the vintage line. I wish they made a Dooku or OB1 figure like that too.

Beast
04-25-2002, 02:14 PM
I must be a big kid also, cause I am enjoying playing with some of these figures. Having Zam sneak up on Obi-Wan and him spin and slice, just like in the movie. And then having Dooku and Anakin go at it and having Dooku disarm Anakin. Very fun. :D

Jar Jar and Luminara are cool as is, but a more basic stance on Jar Jar would have been great. Unless he does end up doing some fighting in the movie, he's gonna look a little odd standing with Palpy and Orn Fre Taa. :crazed:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
04-25-2002, 03:04 PM
Hmmmm, *preparing armour ready for barrage of dissent* I don't like the gimmicks at all. I can see that they wanted to attract kids to the line but i think figures without the gimmicks do that just as well. My nephew who's six loves the non gimmick figures way more than the one's with buttons that make them do stuff. he likes figures with articulation and hates the one pose figures.

Anakin hangar duel may have a wobblt hand but it's execution is crap. it just flops alll over the place. Kit Fistos arm thing is less than useless. The magnets are yawnsome especially Anakin hangar duel who's arm just drops off if you even breath next to it. At least the older toys like Luke Bespin and Vader who had removable hands have strong joints so you can play with the figure hand intact. Magnets wasn't the right choice on those features for Anakin and Zam. The magnetic lightsaber deal is useless because the saber has to be within a hairs breadth of the figures hand before the effect kicks in. Nice metal saber hilts but crap gimmicky feature that doesn't really work. The Reeks feature is also poo. The horn pulling thing doesn't work and you have to practically yank his head off before the roar kicks in. Plus the wisdom of putting a button on his belly escapes me, especially as it looks like you're pushing his willy. I'm not going deeper imto that but let's say it caused a few awkward questions round at my house from my nephew.

Top and bottom is that the quality of the collection one figures is nowhere near the quality of the collection two figures and kids are being sold short. They should be treated with the same respect and with the same quality afforded to us collectors. The stuff costs the same so why the difference in the quality? So some of the collection one figures come with large accessories and the collection two figures have the quality over the pack-ins but the figures should have the pack-ins and the quality regardless.

My other gripe right now is the pricing structure that says a tiny figure like Boba Fett costs the same as a huge monster figure like Dexter. That's not right. There should be a tiered pricing system so smaller figures cost less and the larger figures just a little extra. Then the deluxe figures should be that litle bit more again provided they actually are deluxe and not just a pile of crap like the first wave AOTC ones. There's plenty of smaller characters in Star wars so why not put them on a card at a lower price point and call them pocket money assortments? Collectors are crying out for figures of Bubo and Rappertunie who won't get made ordinarily but in a collection aimed at kids and including smaller figures like Wald and Kitster, Anakin pod race champion, podracers, ugnaughts, bom vimdim, ewoks, small droids, astro droids, small critters etc. I'm positive it's sell. kids could afford a smaller pack because they love little things and lots of bits to play with rather than one or two large things. Speeders sell more to kids than do fighter craft and big vehicles. They can hold them easily and they offer more play opportunities. Giving figures silly gimmicks and features is just diminishing the time it takes for a kid to get bored with a toy. If it does everything for you then where's the fun? If it makes all the sounds then where's the imagination got left to go?

So no, I don't like the gimmicks and neither does my nephew. We both think hasbro are patronising oafs. Oafs who should really stop listening to idiots waffling about demographics and touting flow charts and feasability studies, and listen to the consumer instead. My nephew would like to say:

"Don't want stupid floppy arms. I want normal figures and more things to go with the figures."

Thank you Thom.

JediIan
04-25-2002, 03:13 PM
I personally think that every Jedi that comes out should have a magnet in the hand and a metal lightaber, just to make playing out duels alot more, fun, exciting, and easier, plus you can do more with them and it is easier.

Forhekset
04-25-2002, 03:17 PM
Speaking of metal lightsabre hilts, I wish all the Jedi came with metal lightsabre hilts. :( Much cooler looking.

Edit: Um yeah, what JediIan said.

JediIan
04-25-2002, 03:32 PM
haha, well at least someone agrees with me

LTBasker
04-25-2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by InsaneJediGirl
I remember reading a post when I first joined up here at SSG about how kids would not like the new gimmicks "installed" into the AOTC line.Well,that is wrong.Having two brothers(11 and 13)

However,I know this wont last..by June,they will go back to pokemon and whatever the little fad is.The point of the thread is
to show,Hasbro isnt as dumb as we think they are.I'm sure there are other kids out there who have done the same thing,while of course,Hasbro is rolling around in money(at least for the first wave).

Well you see that's the thing there, the gimmicks will get dull and boring... while if they had been articulated in which you could basically act out the gimmick yourself with the figure plus so many other things, it would most likely keep interesting in the figure because you could keep doing different things while a gimmick would limit it to what it can do. Hasbro's smart to get easy money, I'll admit to that, but if they were truly smart they would find way to not have to continuously find new ways. Of course they did, but it was a dumb move that people aren't taking to as much anymore - Exclusives.

CooLJoE
04-25-2002, 04:20 PM
When I was younger (course my younger years were AFTER starwars), I loved having figures with full articulation. GIJOE was the best thing out (aside from transformers which rocked). They had tons of articulation AS WELL AS gimmicks. Not at first, but later they started coming with spring-loaded launchers and stuff like that. And some even early on had nice gimmicks like snake eyes and his swords, knives, and nun-chucks. And I remember another figure would have a sniper rifle in a back pack, and you were able to assemble the rifle.

Those were the days. Even the vintage SW stuff had more articulation than some of the AOTC figures.

I say, bring back full articulation figures like the GIJOE stuff (new or old...altho new ones look a bit odd compared to old ones). I don't care if some have little gimmicks (like the magnetic saber thing or metal chains for padme. stuff like that, not the swinging arm crap or magnetic arms).

Infact here is one gimmick I think they should add. Put something on the end of the saber that sticks out just a bit more than usual. Then give each Jedi a little saber holster that you can slide the saber into, and the little part that sticks out on the saber will hold it in and keep it from fully sliding through. I think that would be cool. Or even make the blade come off so it sits in the holster better and to make it so the Jedis can hold the saber without it being ignited all the time.

eliwankenobi
04-25-2002, 06:05 PM
I'm 32 years old and I still get excited about the cool gimmicks. Admittedly, some are kinda lame, but I'm constantly showing my fiance how much fun 'playing Star Wars' can be.

I refuse to grow up!!

JediTricks
04-25-2002, 06:42 PM
I like some of the gimmicks, but what I don't like is how Hasbro cheaped out to make up for the costs of the gimmicks or worse, gave the gimmicky figures extreme poses so it's harder to display them when you're done playing with them.

IMO, the right balance would have been to make fun gimmicks on somewhat neutrally-posed figures and not make the gimmicks too ugly or cheap.

mark2d2
04-25-2002, 07:12 PM
Jargo -- please tell me -- are all British Children and thoroughly grumpy as you and your nephew? :sur: :crazed: :D ;)

Personal to M. Candidat --- SHhhhhhhhh! But I too, am enjoying the "throwback" retractable light saber feature in Anakin. And wish they'd do a couple more of these. (Resulpts People! Don't buy them if you hate them so much! Stop this Elitist Completist Madness!!! ) Also, the force effect with the computer consol and the gun are both pretty dang nifty in their own right.

Jargo
04-25-2002, 09:36 PM
No Mark my nephew and I are atypical of british nephew and Uncle pairings.... wait - correction, we are typical of british people full stop and by jimminy we will be grumpy if we so choose! Actually my nephew is a happy little chappy and he just wants the figures like they used to be, the way that they always were. He's concerned that the gimmicks will break and make the figures useless - he's a very bright boy for a six year old the other day he polled his family about the virtues of celibacy before marriage because he'd seen reporters ask the same question on TV but he wanted to conduct his own survey. I trust his opinion. in contrast, his elder brother, who is about twelve just likes to destroy things. he hasn't a single solitary ounce of creativity in his body. he couldn't care less what the figures come with because he'll just snap the gimmicks off anyway so he can't be counted. Thom recieved a bundle of star wars toys for xmas and so did his brother. Thom regularly plays with his while his brother threw his stuff into the garden for the dog to chew. Thom rescued it all and now owns all the stuff I bought them both. I'd say Thom is a good judge of what the toys are and what makes them good or bad. He's my litmus test so to speak.

CooLJoE
04-25-2002, 11:54 PM
Jargo - I'm with you on this. The ultra-gimmicks take over the figure too much. Its like you need all the 10 versions of a figure just to be able to get the full articulation.

Like the troopers. They need to have moveable elbows and knees. And Padme needs to be more straight. Or atleast give her ball joints at her hips so those legs can move better. Like I said though, the vintage stuff moves better than the current stuff.

LTBasker
04-26-2002, 12:38 AM
Destroying things is fun, mainly when you destroy a scalper's hopes. :happy:

I got extras of Hangar Duel Anakin and Bounty Hunter Zam.

These gimmicks stink!

The Dooku gimmick was at least interesting but yeesh.. Zam's arm can't be posed except in the "locked" posistion or in the "Hand me over your money and you won't have to find out it's really my finger" posistion. As for Anakin's gimmicks, well his "magnet" I doubt could even hurt a hearing-aid battery. The arm would fall off with even hardly any force, you don't even have to slam him down for the arm to just drop off. And his slash gimmick (or his whirlpool imitation) is just terrible, the hand is more loose than Hasbro's quality control and hardly works at all as it is quite weak. The only thing I found fun about the gimmick is if you hold the lightsaber then wind it up a bit and let go then you can watch the hand twirl and the lightsaber shoot across the room! Poor grip on his lightsaber too, had to replace it with my POTF2 Bespin Luke's saber so he could get better grip as I almost lost Anakin's lightsaber down the air vent after it just dropped out of his hand.