PDA

View Full Version : Did Boba Fett Die in ROTJ?

Megs 2
04-25-2002, 01:02 PM
Can anyone help please? Did Lucas confirm or deny that Boba Fett died in ROTJ? I read rumors that Lucas supported the idea that Fett survived the Sarlacc? I thought that the SE would show a very short scene of him crawling out of the sand near the Sarlacc pit? I just want to make sure. Thank u.

2-1B
04-25-2002, 01:16 PM
Lucas has neither confirmed nor denied his fate. :D

Did Fett die? Depends on whom you ask. ;)

billfremore
04-25-2002, 01:27 PM
If you follow the Expanded Universe (books, comics, etc.)
Boba Fett did indeed survive his encounter with the Sarlacc.

Although somewhat worse for wear...

Beast
04-25-2002, 01:37 PM
Lucas has said in one news interview, though I am not sure which ones. That Boba Fett died in the Sarlaac pit, and if he ever was to continue the series after ROTJ, that Boba Fett would remain dead. So in the movies, he died... in the EU, he lived. Another reason why I only take most EU as "alternate reality" or "what if?" stories.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

BoShek
04-25-2002, 01:47 PM
Right on, JarJarBinks! But a lot of people think that Lucas controls all of the EU stuff and I hate when people say that. Lucas has very little to do with the EU and this is proof!

Wolfwood319
04-25-2002, 02:00 PM
Lucas does have final say on EU, though I think its mostly his lackys at Lucasfilm that give the green light or not, I think very few EU matters actually get all the way up to the man himself.

In my mind, Fett died in the Sarlaac. I don't follow much EU, so that doesn't matter to me. Fett is dead, plain and simple. EU is like DC's "Elseworlds." Its nice and all, but has very little real bearing on anything other than itself.

Darth Ovori
04-25-2002, 02:07 PM
I do feel, that if GL did make same good guys cool looking as Fett, there would'nt all this "Please make Fett live in SE version 002"...

And lets be honest, GL should of at some stage made some of the good guys more cool and darker looking... see Maul, Vader, Fett... They are are the most followed characters in the SW saga...

bobafett07728
04-25-2002, 02:41 PM
I'm a huge Fett fan, and would love for him to live on. However, until I see him alive and kickin', post-ROTJ, on the big screen, I can deal with the fact its the end. The books are cool, and some of the stories are absolutely outstanding, but if its not in a movie I don't really take it as a Star Wars "truth." Until I see him climb out of the Sarlaac. . .he's gone.

icatch9
04-25-2002, 03:01 PM
Yes, I have to agree with all of you. I am a firm believer in the movies. I mean, if it didn't happen on screen then it is not relevant to the story. I dabble in the EU, but take none of it for real. If George Lucas didn't write it then it holds no bearing on his vision and his story. I've come up with interesting story lines in my head, but it doesn’t mean that is what really happened. The EU is the same thing, except the person who thought of it wrote it down and got it published.

All in all, I wish Boba Fett wouldn't have died like a Punk, but that is not for us to decide. I stand by what ever GL writes. It his story and he is the MAN.

El Chuxter
04-25-2002, 03:15 PM
Or maybe, since he's out to create a new mythology, he intends for Star Wars to contradict itself. How many classic myths don't, when put together to make a whole, contradict themselves at one point or another?

Did Boba Fett die in the Sarlaac or did he survive?

Did Odysseus volunteer wholeheartedly for the Trojan War or did he dress as a woman and hide in a harem?

Just a thought. . . .

dr_evazan22
04-25-2002, 03:59 PM
I believe, like all of you, that Boba died in ROTJ. But when I start to think about the sarlacc, and it taking 1000 years to digest I don't think it unreasonable for something to escape, especially w/ a jet pack.

A creature could starve to death and completely decompose quicker than it would disintegrate!

That said, I still think Boba died:) .

saladin
04-25-2002, 05:45 PM
hey, i belive that he lived. So what GL says. Think about it. ow many movies has he made, 5, so what. If he's to lazy to at least look over things and say "yes" or "no" then why not belive them. If he dose contradict something in a movie then i'll belive it, until then anything in Eu i'll almost believe it.:crazed: :crazed:

sith_killer_99
04-25-2002, 06:14 PM
Slowly digested over 1000 years!

It's only been 19 years, so yes, he is still very much alive.;)

Sure, he may have to scrounge for food and what not.:eek:

Dryanta
04-25-2002, 06:21 PM
LOL sith killer.
I am a cannonist which means "Scream like a little girl Boba Fett" is dead Period.;)

SithDroid
04-25-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by dr_evazan22
I believe, like all of you, that Boba died in ROTJ. But when I start to think about the sarlacc, and it taking 1000 years to digest I don't think it unreasonable for something to escape, especially w/ a jet pack.

A creature could starve to death and completely decompose quicker than it would disintegrate!

Exactly. Boba Fett could have easily escaped because of his jet pack and in the EU he does. I get tired of people dismissing the EU and people saying "If GL didn't write it or if I don't see it on the screen, then I don't believe it." Then I guess the whole argument about Obi-Wan and Yoda telling Luke about midichloians off screen is debunk. Most of the writing in the EU is way better than the writing that GL does, but because it didn't come from him, then people dismiss it and think that it is inferior. Why have it then? If people don't want to read about it then stop making it. He might as well stop making the video games and roleplaying games since they are are EU also. I guess I just don't understand this hatred for the EU. Lucasflim has brought us many more exciting stories by giving us the EU. I for one enjoy them, but I don't think that Lucas is the be all and end all when it comes to SW. Sure he had an idea, a vision, but it also took many other people to make that vision come to life, the costumers, special effects people, the prop designers, the set designers, etc.... Giving GL ALL the credit is ignorant. Please don't take offense to what I've said, but I believe in the EU.

Dryanta
04-25-2002, 06:34 PM
Hey sith droid.I personally don't like the EU but I'm happy that you enjoy it.The only thing I hate about the EU is the fact Chewie died.That's so over the top for me that I'm afraid any interest I might have had for it died once I heard that.I just really hate Boba Fett.Friends?

dr_evazan22
04-25-2002, 11:47 PM
Don't get me wrong, I actually like the EU, I just see it dismissed so much here because it's not canon.
My problem w/ the EU is that the quality, IMO, is so inconsistent. Specifically, the whole "Bounty Hunter's War" and the way that Boba made his 'dramatic' re-emergence from the Sarlacc.
(the idea for the Sarlacc is almost as bad as the way that Boba escaped)

I did like reading Dark Empire and seeing Boba in Han's apt.

BoShek
04-25-2002, 11:57 PM
I liked Shadows of the Empire a real a lot and I think it fits in real well with the OT.

How about a story between ANH and ESB?

2-1B
04-26-2002, 02:47 AM
How about a story between ANH and ESB?

There already is, a fine tale known as Splinter of the Mind's Eye. :D

icatch9
04-26-2002, 09:36 AM
Well C3P0 has confirmed Boba Fetts Death. Last Night (April 25th) on Fox, they aired ESB. Befor the moive there was an introduction by 3P0 and R2. It was intittle "Conections" basically it showed how the OT is connected to the prequils. Well last night they explained Boba Fetts connection. 3P0 explained where Boba came from and thier encounters with him. Befor it was all said and done, he stated that Boba Fett made a nice meal for that Nasty Creatur Sarlacc. So, this is as good as proof I think.

I enjoy the EU very much, but I do not take it to be part of the SW Storyline as we see in the movies. Sure George Lucas owes a lot of his sucess to the people who design and do other things for the movie, but they too owe him for comeing up with the idea. It is a circle that goes around forever.

I am a big Boba Fett fan, but I know that he is no longer. His EU stories are good, but they are not in the movies. Thus, didn't realy happen. As I stated earlier, anyone can come up with a story about SW, but it doesn't mean it is true. There is someone on SSG writting a story about a cross between Star Wars and Star Trek. I am sure this will be fanstastic, but it doesn't mean that it has any relevance to the movies and the events that traspire there. There is no difference between that and all the books and comics. It's just the authors of the books got thier stories published.

bobafett07728
04-26-2002, 09:45 AM
It's not that I have any hatred for the EU, majority of the stuff is great. However if theres a contradiction, or two seperate stories. . .I would tend to lean towards the story told by the man who created the whole universe. I would love for George to flat out say that Boba escaped, but until then I'll have to accept the Fett EU as just stories.

PS. . . Does EU stand for EVERYTHING not created by Lucas himself, or just certain stories? What about the Zahn Trilogy, and others?

SithDroid
04-26-2002, 02:16 PM
EU includes the Zahn Trilogy. It includes everything not included within the movies. Grand Admiral Thrawn was a character in that series and he was released as an action figure in the EU line. Hope this helps.

jrviking07
04-29-2002, 05:36 PM
From the boba fett comic book line it does have a comic that takes place after rotj and in fact boba fett is alive and is assigned to find this thing for a guy and boba fett does. so if u follow the comic bokk the comic book will tell that indeed boba fett is alive although i do not know how he would have escaped. i think that he used all those cool gadgets that he has on his belt and on his arms. do u think that maybe boba fett had a secret small blaster on his shin and blasted his way out or maybe he used his jetpack and just jetpacked out of there. who knows??????????

187-Maul
04-29-2002, 06:59 PM
to me he definetly died

although I would want to read that comic some time...:)

Taichi
04-30-2002, 01:06 PM
No, slowly digested over a thousand years, does not mean Fett is alive.....

I believe the description of the Sarlaac stated that it emitted a neurotoxin that rendered it's victims unconscious, in a comatose state.....meaning all bodily functions are halted.......as it digests you.......

El Chuxter
05-07-2009, 11:11 PM
I had a friend who said he died in the Sarlaac, and I got so mad at him that I threw a book at him.

Rocketboy
05-07-2009, 11:32 PM
I had a friend who said he died in the Sarlaac, and I got so mad at him that I threw a book at him.Hopefully that book was Tales From Jabba's Palace or Tales of the Bounty Hunters, 'cuz they totally PROVE he didn't die or whatever and stuff, ya know?

Droid
05-08-2009, 12:01 AM
I had a friend who said he died in the Sarlaac, and I got so mad at him that I threw a book at him.

That reads really, really funny if you take it to me "I had a friend who claimed that he (my friend) died in the Sarlacc, and I got so mad at him that I threw a book at him.

Slicker
05-08-2009, 06:42 AM
Talk to Mabs. He'll tell you how did Boba Fett really died...

mabudonicus
05-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Oyes I know how boba fett really did died, only it's not forum friendly- last time this came up several folks got banned at some other site

Chux- was that the same guy who choked that baby in a failed attempt to retrieve Amidalas head??
:beard: Iso&Baws

too bad the joke is SO "in"

Oh and where's KH offering his pocketful of slaps when ya need him?

El Chuxter
05-08-2009, 11:02 AM
He's mourning how Martin Luther King nailed his 95 Theses to the church in Birmingham and DIED!

TheDarthVader
06-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Boba Fett fell into the sarlacc.
Boba Fett failed to escape.
Boba Fett is dead.
The end.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-04-2009, 07:08 PM
No, slowly digested over a thousand years, does not mean Fett is alive.....

I believe the description of the Sarlaac stated that it emitted a neurotoxin that rendered it's victims unconscious, in a comatose state.....meaning all bodily functions are halted.......as it digests you.......But that was not in the movie, hence, it is EU.

bobafrett
06-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Boba Fett died from a case of gonnorea.

Qui-Long Gone
06-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Fette died from the bullet of the third gunman on the grassy noll

Slicker
06-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Boba Fett fell into the sarlacc.
Boba Fett failed to escape.
Boba Fett is dead.
The end.Couldn't have said it better.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-09-2009, 06:41 PM
But how do we know he failed to escape?

Darth Duranium
06-09-2009, 08:07 PM
He's as good as dead... to the Bounty Hunter Guild, anyway.

No decent Bounty Hunter would scream like he did when he fell into the Sarlacc. He went out like a beeyauch.:D

NerfTW
06-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Fett simply couldn't have died in the Sarlacc Pit as described in the movie.

Jabba says that it takes thousands of years to digest someone.

So we know that the stomach acid is weaker than my freaking saliva.

Fett was wearing a suit that could protect him while a rocket is going off next to his butt.

The acid shouldn't even have bothered him for a few hundred years at least.

But what about the sticky walls, you say?

You're telling me Fett didn't have a single knife or backup blaster on his person? The greatest bounty hunter of all time?

I don't even think the Sarlacc has ever killed anything. I think it's just a giant joke they play on Jabba.

"Oh no, we're being executed in the Sarlacc!"
A few hours later some buddies arrive with a heavy blaster, take out the tendrils, drop a rope in, and cut their buddy free. Jabba thinks they're dead, no more debt, go bother some other section of the galaxy.

Rocketboy
06-09-2009, 11:04 PM

So we know that the stomach acid is weaker than my freaking saliva.

Fett was wearing a suit that could protect him while a rocket is going off next to his butt.

The acid shouldn't even have bothered him for a few hundred years at least.

But what about the sticky walls, you say?

You're telling me Fett didn't have a single knife or backup blaster on his person? The greatest bounty hunter of all time?

I don't even think the Sarlacc has ever killed anything. I think it's just a giant joke they play on Jabba.

"Oh no, we're being executed in the Sarlacc!"
A few hours later some buddies arrive with a heavy blaster, take out the tendrils, drop a rope in, and cut their buddy free. Jabba thinks they're dead, no more debt, go bother some other section of the galaxy.Then, unless he had a Lunchable and some Hawaiian Punch, I guess he starved or died of dehydration.

JediTricks
06-09-2009, 11:46 PM

So we know that the stomach acid is weaker than my freaking saliva.It could mean that it's far more thorough. The sarlacc could be a careful chewer, slowly smashing down every bit of its food.

NerfTW
06-10-2009, 10:21 AM
No, I still like the idea that Jabba really is just that stupid.