PDA

View Full Version : Crapawful paint job on Clonetrooper

Forhekset
04-25-2002, 03:36 PM
I just picked up a slew of figs I didn't have yet, and in my excitement to actually see a good amount of almost every fig, I didn't pay close attention to details, I suppose. So I get back to work and open up the Clonetrooper, and I swear this thing looks like it was painted by someone who had his or her eyes closed the entire time. Paint flecks everywhere they shouldn't be...VERY sloppy lines on the helmet...smudges of what looks like dirt and paint all over the place, and one side of the helmet is spattered with a faint brown. Plus, the small gun he's supposed to hold which I assume should be solid black except for the butt, is spattered with white paint all over it. Jeez. I know it's my fault for not looking more closely but I think it's total BS putting something of that quality out on shelves.

Edit: Note that I'm of course talking about the AOTC Clonetrooper and not the Preview one. I think I'll take some pics of this thing when I get home. Anyone else seen any figs with terrible paint jobs and/or defects?

pthfnder89
04-25-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Forhekset
Jeez. I know it's my fault for not looking more closely but I think it's total BS putting something of that quality out on shelves.

No, trust me, I've gotten several of these guys and the paint job on ALL of them is pretty terrible.

I'm planning on just painting white over all the red parts so I'll have plain troopers, and it will also just look a lot better than Hasbros paint job. :rolleyes:

I was actually surprised how much I really like the Clonetroopers though. I wasn't planning on getting any of them, but I realized how hard they are to find in my area so when I saw the last one sitting on a Wal-Mart peg I figured what the heck.

They really did pretty well with his articulation; it's nearly as good as the Commtech Stormtrooper. Considering you get a rifle, and a huge firing cannon with him, I'd say he's a pretty good deal.

His paint still sucks though...

JediIan
04-25-2002, 04:12 PM
i have several that are just plain terrible, my Clone Trooper the rifle looks like it was dropped on the ground during painting and then still packaged, blotchy and whatnot. dont get me wrong i DO like the Saga figures it just seems that the quality of them is either hit or miss. when the hit its dead on, when they miss.....:(

QLD
04-25-2002, 04:42 PM
I bought 3 of them, and mine all look great!

Beast
04-25-2002, 04:45 PM
Just take the time to pick out a good paintjob. I looked at 3 CloneTroopers before I found a really nice one. It's tough to get straight lines on a curved surface, so you just have to be patient and picky. Now I need to go buy a few more to make Yellow, Blue, and Green Troopers. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Forhekset
04-25-2002, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I think the articulation on the Clonetrooper is pretty decent as well (though anything is good compared to, say, Nikto or Kit Fisto). Actually I think overall he's a really nice figure considering the cannon he comes with and the fact he can actually hold his gun in both hands (though I think he stands up better without his foot on the little rock pile deal). It's just the paint....argh.

They had tons and tons of these guys when I bought mine. I almost bought several because up until then I hadn't been able to find a single one. I'm glad I didn't, though. I haven't gotten any other figures so far that really had horrible paint jobs...there's a smudge or two on Padme but that's about it, aside from this hideous Clonetrooper.

I agree with ya, JediIan, on the hit and miss thing. In particular the Dexter Jettster I got looks friggin' amazing. Zam and C-3PO look pretty nice too I think. Then you have garbage like the Clonetrooper....

Forhekset
04-25-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Just take the time to pick out a good paintjob. I looked at 3 CloneTroopers before I found a really nice one. It's tough to get straight lines on a curved surface, so you just have to be patient and picky. Now I need to go buy a few more to make Yellow, Blue, and Green Troopers. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

It isn't just the sloppy lines. I could deal with that. Trust me, the entire paint job sucks horribly. And yeah I should have picked out a good paint job, but as I mentioned, it slipped my mind. My point is Hasbro shouldn't allow trash like that to reach the shelves.

Fixer
04-25-2002, 05:00 PM
My red Clonetrooper has a good paint job. I agree completely though, the Quality Control on the decos is really bad. I spent quite a bit of time picking out my figures. I was lucky to find two stores with good stock and not many other buyers. Just need Taun We and the Royal Guard.

eliwankenobi
04-25-2002, 05:18 PM
I went thru about 15 Clone Troopers before I found one with a half-way decent paint job. The edges on the helmet are just a little fuzzy, but the arms and shoulders are sharp and the gun is clean.
I'm definitely not hip on the day-glow red though - they could've picked a better shade - but I do like the articulation and the inserted tri-pod gun.

Forhekset
04-25-2002, 05:31 PM
I need to go back to Wal-Mart for something else so I think I'm going to look around and see if I can find a better Clonetrooper. Though I didn't want more than one in the first place, so it kinda sucks that I'm having to buy another one just to get one that looks decent. I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only one who got stuck with a crummy paint job.

Yu_
04-25-2002, 05:32 PM
The clone trooper looks like he's panted with an England football kit on.. (soccer, for the folks not in the UK :p )

JediTricks
04-25-2002, 06:55 PM
The one I picked up last night at WM had a fine paint job, but the one I put down to pick this one up had slightly weaker paint. Still, neither would be "crapawful" IMO. (except for the silver flecks on the gun, yuck!)

I did see a Kit Fisto with his 2 front teeth blacked out with paint though, a very unfortunate paint mistake.

Forhekset
04-25-2002, 08:29 PM
Well, I rummaged through 20 Clonetroopers about an hour ago at the same Wal-Mart that I bought one from before...every single one had a bad paint job. Guess that store just got stuck with a bad batch. What's lame is that the only store I've found that even has Clonetroopers has the ones with the bad paint jobs...

It seems this is sort of common, especially the paint flecks on the gun. Oh well, I'm sure there will be several more Clonetroopers, I'll pick up some of those whenever they come out.

Taichi
04-25-2002, 08:47 PM
Actually, being a model builder, you pick up a few things......

one being that it is NOT hard to get a straight line on a curved surface......all you need is Masking tape.......the artist's friend.....

there is NO excuse for a poor paint job.......especially in a mass produced line....

if a machine does it, it should be calculated precisely, and if the paint jobs are hand done (Not done much anymore) the person doing the painting should show a little care.....

I looked at close to a HUNDRED Clonetroopers today (They're pretty easy to find in my area) and did not find ONE worth my money.......

and I really wanted a multiposable clonetrooper too.....

they're pretty sweet from what I've heard......and you really can't see any rivets, or other protrusions on these guys.....the armor is fantastic in covering 'em up......great job on the build Hasbro, now get on the ball with the darn paint!

Mandalorian Candidat
04-26-2002, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Forhekset

It isn't just the sloppy lines. I could deal with that. Trust me, the entire paint job sucks horribly. And yeah I should have picked out a good paint job, but as I mentioned, it slipped my mind. My point is Hasbro shouldn't allow trash like that to reach the shelves.

It just goes to show that copies are never as good as the original.

Get it, copies...cause they're all copies. You know, clones. Like copies of people. :D

* silently leaves the room before anyone notices he's gone *

Forhekset
04-26-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat

It just goes to show that copies are never as good as the original.

*rimshot*

JediTricks
04-26-2002, 11:09 PM
Taichi, while there are no rivets showing, there is considerable gap at the rotatable knees on mine. Also, it's not as super-poseable as the CTC stormtrooper, it has standard shoulders, swivel elbows, swivel wrists, standard "skirt" waist, standard hips, bending knees that also rotate in the upper socket, and the standard neck. Sadly, Hasbro REALLY should have thought about articulating the ankles.

IMO, this is not an army builder, this is a slightly-more-articulated clone of the preview Clone Trooper.

Beast
04-26-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Taichi, while there are no rivets showing, there is considerable gap at the rotatable knees on mine. Also, it's not as super-poseable as the CTC stormtrooper, it has standard shoulders, swivel elbows, swivel wrists, standard "skirt" waist, standard hips, bending knees that also rotate in the upper socket, and the standard neck. Sadly, Hasbro REALLY should have thought about articulating the ankles.

IMO, this is not an army builder, this is a slightly-more-articulated clone of the preview Clone Trooper.
While it's not as poseable as the CTC Stormtrooper in some areas, it's more poseable in others. The wrists are a big improvment over the CTC trooper. As is the knee joint, compared to the one on the CTC ST. Pretty much in comparison, IMHO they are about as equally poseable.

I do have to say that saying the Red Clonetrooper is only slightly more articulated then the preview trooper intresting. I take 14 points of articulation compared to 5 on the preview version as more then slightly more articulated. That's like saying the CTC trooper is only slightly more articulated then the POTF2 original Stormie. :crazed:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks