PDA

View Full Version : Padme Mole Variation!! Rare or Not??

Uncle Owen
04-25-2002, 04:04 PM
I was wondering how many of you out there have found the mole variation. I found a couple here in Mid-Missouri, but the great majority have the mole removed...What's the thoughts of everyone here?

Owen Out!!

LTBasker
04-25-2002, 04:17 PM
Paint error? I doubt anyone would really care about a small paint spot. 'Course with all the controversey people are making about the tiniest little thing on the E2 figs, I wouldn't be suprised if someone was charging $50+ for one of the Padmes.

Uncle Owen
04-25-2002, 04:20 PM
I saw one end on ebay for $54.99 that is why I was asking...But it defintely is not a paint error because it is being found on padmes and across the country...And the 2 I have are perfect circles...not a stray brush stroke. My 2 are also both on ones with the insert, but I have a 3rd padme with an insert and no mole.

Owen Out!!

Lord Tenebrous
04-25-2002, 04:31 PM
I find it amazing that people will pay so much for cardboard and features the size of ant butts.

I've seen both variations. I think the mole is tacky on a figure of this size - I mean, they didn't put the mole by Dooku's left ear on his figure. Nor did they put any facial markings on Obi-Wan or Anakin.

Just be happy with what you find and leave this variation tomfoolery to the greedy and sternly determined.

Jargo
04-25-2002, 04:39 PM
The size of ant butts? :D

I've been in stores and watched people damn near give themselves aneurisms looking for anything remotely resembling a variant. it's just plain silly. Paint differences are just stoopid mistakes. if the figure has something sculpted different I can understand some of the fuss but not a mere painting mistake. besides which, the pursuit of imperfection is not healthy for the mind. Just ask the germans....... :crazed:

Beast
04-25-2002, 04:55 PM
Yeah, no kidding Jargo. A painting varient like in the case of the POTF2 figures of Han Endor's (Blue Pants/ Corrected Brown Pants) and Luke Jedi's Vest (Brown Vest/ Corrected Black vest) is one thing. A paint application being missed in an assembly line being called a varient is just wacky. It's a screw up, Hasbro didn't intentionally leave it off. Maybe the mole sprayer got clogged that day. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
04-25-2002, 05:23 PM
I say that if a figure is technically the same figure but reposed or altered by Hasbro after the initial release like the tusken raider open hand closed hand thing then go for your guns and call it a variant. If it's just a missing paint deco it's a mistake - usually an ugly one. Take Luke x-wing pilot, he came with buck teeth like a rabbit he came with eyes on his forehead almost, he came with eyes rolled into the back of his head. But he wasn't a variant he was just badly made. Zutton with his two different plastics used for his head throws people into a frenzy of excitement when he's just the same figure and no different in sculpt. Just one version has a tan head and one looks pasty pale. I have the pale one and I wish I'd waited and got the darker one because it looks better but I'd hardly call it a variant just because the plastic is a vague shade different in colour.

Now, this post will no doubt recieve a hail of fire from variant collectors and I don't intend to get into a fight with this. This is just my opinion on the matter and variant collectors are more than free to spend copious amounts of money in the pursuit of their bounty. I just happen to think it's daft unless the figure is significantly different. A mole that is absolutely a paint application mistake does not constitute a variant in my eyes. That's all I'm saying. Frankly, variant collectors seeking both versions would be doing most of us a favour by buying them up because that thing is sure to clog pegs for months so it would be very handy if you could clear the pegs of her awfullness for us so that stores see empty pegs and order more stock and we get newer figures. :)

eliwankenobi
04-25-2002, 05:45 PM
Not a variant collector. Never have been. Never will be.
Minor paint details? Peg shapes? Whatever. The figure's still a figure.
As the package backs state: "In the interest of providing the best possible product, package contents may vary from picture".
I think "variants" and "rare errors" are just just a ploy for scalpers and the anal retentive (no offense variation hunters, do as you will).
Just give me something to play with!

icatch9
04-26-2002, 10:12 AM
I agree with you all. To collect variations is very difficult and at times amazing. The price some of these go for. You have to ask yourself what are you collecting the figures or the plastic. Still I do understand the resons. I mean haveing a collectable that there are only 10 of would be cool. The value and the $$$$$ make people nuts, and I am sure most of you can understand that. Most of us aren't in this for monitary vaule, but if you had a figure worth $500.00, you'd think that was pretty cool too. Variations just give people something to hunt for.

My father collects Hot Wheels, he has since he was a child. In Hot Wheels variations are king. You think we've got it bad, he has 8 variations of one car, and that is a common occurance. The most valuable of all collectable toys may just be a variation on a Hot Wheel. The Pink Rear Loading VW Beach Bomb. Its just a VW van with surf boards in the back. But there is only 1 known pink one, and it sold for $10,000.00 (for real). Now this one in any other color is expensive, but no where near ten grand. So you can see how a variation might make some people perk up.

I have never had good luck with variations, but the couple I have had I traded for a lot of stuff I didn't have. So, if I can do that again I will. But I will never keep a variation in my personal collection as long as I can find the correct version.

Wolfwood319
04-26-2002, 10:38 AM
I also don't get people who collecto by .00, .01, .03, etc. What possible reason could one want more than 1 of the same figure to keep carded with the only difference being a spelling error, or another minute detail on the card, not the figure. It makes no logical sense to me. To me, the figure is the figure, be it half-circled, closed hand, brown vest, .02, etc. I just take the one I see, and be done with it.

But to each his own, I guess.

Funny story about Hot Wheels; I was at Wal-Mart today, and while looking through the figures, I noticed a guy going through the new Hot Wheels. After he has like 30 or so piled up in his arms, he takes a look at the Star Wars figures and says "I can't believe people actually collect these toys..."

Afterwards he took his 30+ pile of Hot Wheels and left. I just found it ironic and funny at the same time.

JEFFILM
04-28-2002, 12:20 PM
Padme Mole is a variation.

The ones now shipping now have a clean moleless face.

sith_killer_99
04-28-2002, 12:46 PM
$54.99!!!!

I'm too cheap to spend $7.99 at KB, when I can go to Wal-Mart and get the figure for $5.88!

IMO, paint errors are just a sign of poor quality control. The only reason I would want a Padme' (which is a poor figure anyway) WITH mole is because Natalie in fact HAS a mole. If I find one with a mole at Wal-Mart I may buy it, and return the one without.:crazed:

Anyway, those type of things are for rich people with nothing better to do with their money. They are the reason that places like Brian's Toys are still in business.:rolleyes:

Now, I like collecting foreign card variations, where the cards are SIGNIFICANTLY different. And even then it's sort of an excuse to buy more of my favorite figures (Imp. Baddies, Bounty Hunters, etc.)! It also gives me something to work on (collect) inbetween new waves.;)

I understand collecting, OC, GC with/without holo, Freeze Frame, etc. What I don't understand is $300.00 for a Boba Fett with missing emblem?!?!:eek:

CooLJoE
04-28-2002, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I don't regard paint mistakes or package errors as variations (much less being worth the trouble of finding...although i did check to see if the carded padme's near me had the mole. just wanted to see if it was true).

Now the R2 with 2 different legs is a variation. And I do have both of them. That kind of variation I think is worth having. And so far, he's the only figure that has a true variation.

Robertoc
05-27-2002, 03:41 AM
I just went through my AOTC collection and I was able to update my Account on the collectors database. Im not a scapler, but if someone will buy one of my variations, Id take the cash and buy other figures I dont have. I just like having them all and I know that in a few months there will be plenty of Orn free taa and Djas all over the place.

TK421BB
05-27-2002, 10:41 AM
I have a Padme' with the mole on the end of her nose. I might try selling it, if some idiot wants to pay some crazy amount for it. Then I can support my collecting habit...

Dooku Fett
05-27-2002, 10:56 AM
The mole I think is a Variation and not a paint error.

bigbarada
05-27-2002, 11:16 AM
I agree with Jargo, if the mole variation is enough to get collectors to clear the pegs of Padme Arenas then that's great!

"Highly collectible, buy twelve.":)

My rule of thumb on rare variants: If I can actually find it at retail, then it's not rare.

TK421BB
05-28-2002, 09:06 PM
I think the Padme' with the mole is a variation because they don't make her with a mole anymore, so that makes it a variation. You ask why? Because they stopped making her with the mole...Or at least that is what I'm told..So the mole is a variation...

DarthBrandon
05-30-2002, 12:06 AM
Don't think of it as a variation, but if others want to pay top dollars for a mole marking, then go for it. It's your money not mine, I wouldn't even waste my time trying to find it.

P.S. It's your money is not directed at anyone in particular.