PDA

View Full Version : Who has Qui-Gons Lightsaber in E2... ???

Darth Ovori
04-25-2002, 05:15 PM
So who got the honor of having it... ???

DeadEye
04-25-2002, 06:46 PM
No one. I assume it stays in the Jedi archives or museum or something.

Eternal Padawan
04-27-2002, 09:25 AM
Obi Wan builds a new one and Anakin has his own. Qui Gons lightsaber is in a shrine/museum somewhere or Obi Wan has it on his mantle at home.

hango fett
04-27-2002, 01:22 PM
if obi built a new lightsaber, how does it look exactly like the first one?

DeadEye
04-27-2002, 01:23 PM
Maybe he remembered how he built it...or maybe it was retrieved from the pit.

Lord Tenebrous
04-27-2002, 03:18 PM
There are some very mild changes to the saber, the new one has red activator buttons (TPM's were black), and the metal is a little more reflective.

Ewan really liked his saber handle from TPM, and I guess he pushed to have the same design for AOTC.

derek
04-28-2002, 07:26 PM
lord T,

but there were minor changes in luke's episode 4&5 sabers also.:)

i like the theory that his saber was retreived from the pit with maul's carcus. or maybe i'm just hoping hasbro will make the "naboo janitor" figure.:)

i know a lot of folks don't care about this, but i sure hope anakin and obi wan have their episode 4 sabers in the next film.:)

Pendo
04-29-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by derek
i know a lot of folks don't care about this, but i sure hope anakin and obi wan have their episode 4 sabers in the next film.:)

I care about that! I was hoping they would have them in Episode II but they don't :(. Well it seems like they lose them near the end of Episode II so I guess they will be needing new ones for Episode III. How many times can a Jedi loose their sabers? They musn't be very good Jedi...

PENDO!

pthfnder89
04-29-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Pendo

I care about that! I was hoping they would have them in Episode II but they don't :(. Well it seems like they lose them near the end of Episode II so I guess they will be needing new ones for Episode III. How many times can a Jedi loose their sabers? They musn't be very good Jedi...

PENDO!

Lol, I was thinking that too Pendo. But seriously, although I do hope Obi Wan has his Ep4 saber in the next movie, Anakin couldn't exactly have his Vader saber in AOTC could he? He has turn evil before he builds a red one, and he has to build the blue one for Luke to have anyway.:)

Battle Droid
04-29-2002, 04:34 PM
In the OT I bet it's in Obi Wan's trunk.

derek
04-29-2002, 08:12 PM
pthfnder89,

i'm hoping anakin will use in episode 3 the saber given to luke in episode 4. when anakin and obi-wan duel, it will be the first blue on blue blade saber duel. hopefully after obi-wan beats him, he'll pick anakin's saber up.

Casual George
04-30-2002, 03:44 PM
I care about that! I was hoping they would have them in Episode II but they don't . Well it seems like they lose them near the end of Episode II so I guess they will be needing new ones for Episode III. How many times can a Jedi loose their sabers? They musn't be very good Jedi...

I don't think it has anything to do with being a good Jedi. Remember that until Obi-Wan and Qui Gon encountered Darth Maul, it had been a thousand years since any Jedi and Sith had a light saber duel. I think the guys did pretty well, at least Obi-Wan did anyway.

pthfnder89
04-30-2002, 03:50 PM
pthfnder89,

i'm hoping anakin will use in episode 3 the saber given to luke in episode 4. when anakin and obi-wan duel, it will be the first blue on blue blade saber duel. hopefully after obi-wan beats him, he'll pick anakin's saber up.

Derek - what I meant was that the lightsaber that Anakin has in Ep2 *IS* the same one that is given to Luke in Ep4. Presumably he use that saber in Ep3, at least until he constructs his new Red saber.

Jedi Clint
04-30-2002, 03:56 PM
In the novel, the lightsaber he has in E2 is destroyed.

derek
04-30-2002, 11:18 PM
pthfnder89,

anakin's episode 2 saber is not the one given to luke in episode 4. anakin's episode 2 saber actually closely resembles vader's saber. the only difference is the chrome emitter and the blue blade. and as jedi clint pointed out, anakin's saber is ground up in a droid making machine before he and padme are captured.

lukes episode 4&5 saber was made using a "graflex flashgun", a 1940's era camera flash. the vader/anakin episode 2 saber is a "heiland flashgun" camera flash.

search e bay for "graflex" and "heiland" and you'll see the differences in these two "sabers"

pthfnder89
05-01-2002, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Clint

You're right, sorry. I meant that I thought it was the same style, just like Obi-Wans lightsaber in EP2 looks just like his saber from Ep1. He built another one but it looks the same. Whereas the lightsaber ObiWan has in Ep4 is obviously totally different.

derek
05-01-2002, 01:51 PM
pthfnder89,

as suggested by another forum member(i forgot which one) obi wan retreived his saber from the pit on naboo.

get the dvd, and look at the scene where palpatine is arriving on naboo. slo-mo thru the scene and look closely, and you'll see obi-wan is wearing his saber on his belt, not qui-gon's. so that means either the prop guys screwed up(this seen was a reshoot after all) or obi-wan did retrieve his saber and is using it in episode 2.:)

pthfnder89
05-01-2002, 03:32 PM
pthfnder89,

as suggested by another forum member(i forgot which one) obi wan retreived his saber from the pit on naboo.

get the dvd, and look at the scene where palpatine is arriving on naboo. slo-mo thru the scene and look closely, and you'll see obi-wan is wearing his saber on his belt, not qui-gon's. so that means either the prop guys screwed up(this seen was a reshoot after all) or obi-wan did retrieve his saber and is using it in episode 2.:)

That's true, but I believe "oficially" his lightsaber was never retrieved. There are some small differences between his Ep2 saber and his Ep1. I think JarJar or someone said it was mentioned in the Visual Dictionary that he created a new saber after Ep1, even though it was the same basic design.

Who knows; I guess if it's never mentioned in the actual movie we'll never no for certain whether it's supoosed to be the same or not. Maybe George or Ewan will mention it in an interview or something.
:)

Man, this lightsaber thing is confusing...

scruffziller
08-21-2002, 03:58 PM

Do you mean Qui Gonn's or Obi's himself or does it ever say. COuld it be that he made modification to the lightsaber, added new buttons new crystal?

Jedi Clint
08-21-2002, 07:19 PM
When we were trying to figure out where Anakin's blue lightsaber disappeared to during the hero's fight with Dooku (we only had a glimpse of Anakin and Obi Wan holding the lightsabers given to them in the arena by the Jedi "extras"), I read the novel and learned that the lightsaber Anakin started AOTC with is destroyed.....hence my post. I need to read the novel again. My memory of the differences between the novel and film appears to be warped. I have recently been thinking that (in the novel) Anakin's saber was confiscated by Dooku after he was captured.

I really don't know what happened to Qui Gon's saber. Perhaps one of our EU enthusiasts can dig something up.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
08-21-2002, 11:46 PM
I always assumed it got burned with Qui-Gon's body.

Geonosian
08-22-2002, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous

Ewan really liked his saber handle from TPM, and I guess he pushed to have the same design for AOTC.

Doubt it.

scruffziller
08-22-2002, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Hasbro'sBountyHunter
I always assumed it got burned with Qui-Gon's body.

I assumed that Obi kept it because the POTJ fig Naboo Jedi Knight Obi has the cloak (at the funeral) with the green saber.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-22-2002, 12:25 PM
In the EU book between TPM and AOTC (can't remember what it's called . . .), Obi is pictured on the cover with Qui's saber (next to a little padawan Ani). Of course, this is wrong. Things change with time. For instance, originally Obi-Wan carried Qui-Gon's saber after Qui's death. Wrong. Hasbro couldn't know that Obi-Wan had a blue saber in AOTC, because the film wasn't released when they made the TPM POTJ Obi figure with Qui's saber. But anyway, at the time of the release of TPM, in EU stories Obi had Qui's saber. At the time of the release of AOTC (now), in EU stories Obi-Wan made a new lightsaber just like his old one, apparently right after Qui-Gon's death. Hence the scene where he has a lightsaber just like his lost one towards the end of TPM, this is because (in the SW universe) he just built a new one just like his old one.
Okay?

Chewtobacco
08-22-2002, 05:28 PM
Lightsabers are a pretty personal item. I have no idea where that pit on Naboo ends, but as long as it's possible to get to the bottom of it, they would retrieve everything at the bottom. The Jedi council wanted to know all they could about Qui-Gon's attacker and the sith. Plus once you know that the sith exist, why would you leave a jedi lightsaber possible to steal, no matter how difficult?

And would it even be difficult to retrieve? I don't think so. With the force powers of Master Yoda, he could easily retrieve (levitate) the lightsaber of Obi Wan and Maul. Heck, he could probably even do the same with the two parts of Mauls body.

As for whether Obi Wan or any jedi uses the same lightsaber in Ep 1 to Ep 2, I think it's not an important point. I'm sure there are times when jedi have time to improve upon their current weapons. Why not? In the 10 years from the end of Ep 1 to the beginning of Ep 2, Obi wan could have had 5 different sabers.

The only interesting point in this thread is when exactly does Obi Wan obtain the light saber that he gives to Luke. And I agree with most of the projections that it'll happen during the climactic fight between Obi Wan and Anakin.

Geonosian
08-23-2002, 04:45 AM
Awesome avartar Mr. JabbaJohnL

2-1B
08-23-2002, 04:57 AM
I need to read the novel again. My memory of the differences between the novel and film appears to be warped. I have recently been thinking that (in the novel) Anakin's saber was confiscated by Dooku after he was captured.

I only read the novel once, but I think you're right. Specifically, I seem to recall Jango taking Ani's saber at Dooku's behest.

Geonosian
08-23-2002, 08:12 AM
That is true....
Where is Anakin's saber...?

LTBasker
08-23-2002, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Chewtobacco
Lightsabers are a pretty personal item. I have no idea where that pit on Naboo ends, but as long as it's possible to get to the bottom of it, they would retrieve everything at the bottom. The Jedi council wanted to know all they could about Qui-Gon's attacker and the sith. Plus once you know that the sith exist, why would you leave a jedi lightsaber possible to steal, no matter how difficult?

True, but due to gravity stuff and most likely that was a pretty deep pit, then it wouldn't be a very pretty sight at the bottom and possibly the lightsaber could've gotten broken into a bunch of tiny little pieces. 'Course why have a pit just to have a pit? I heard it was a melting pit somewhere, so if stuff melts when it gets there, well then it'd be useless if they could go down there.

Originally posted by scruffziller
I assumed that Obi kept it because the POTJ fig Naboo Jedi Knight Obi has the cloak (at the funeral) with the green saber.

Hasbro said in one Q&A awhile back that the POTJ Jedi Obi came with Qui's saber because there was an error at the factory and they were getting packed with Qui's saber instead of the Obi-Wan saber. I think he was originally supposed to be from the arrival scene at the beginning, but since he had his cloak on during the funeral then they probably just let it slide.

Jedi Clint
08-25-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Caesar

I only read the novel once, but I think you're right. Specifically, I seem to recall Jango taking Ani's saber at Dooku's behest.

I should pull the book out and skim over the events toward the end, but I won't ;). In the novel, did they skip the droid factory sequence completely?

scruffziller
08-26-2002, 12:16 PM
But there is no details as to what they did with his saber?
I perhaps like the fact that they would have burned it with his body.